Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: One Ton Family: Part 1

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Trees said:

Can't we just learn the story and hear people talking in interviews instead of voiceovers?  See more of their struggles with food prep and grocery shopping and managing daily life?

Someone mentioned above that they get more help (nutritionists, etc.) than we usually see (if we do see a nutritionist visit, it's always them cleaning out the fridge and telling them not to eat mayonnaise, maybe a little bit about what to look for on food labels, and that's it). I would like to see them talking more in depth with a nutritionist, getting a cooking lesson or two, learning more practical ways of dealing with food and life. Not flat, faux-inspirational voice overs that sound like they're all reading variations of the same script that may or may not even apply to anything we actually see them doing on the screen. 

• Love 5

I just read the "Live" thread.  Wow, a lot of Michigan people there!  I'm also in SE Michigan and one of my kids went to grad school at U of M. 

Anyway, yeah, "Tee Tot" gave me a laugh!  I forgot about that until I saw the comment in the live thread.

I also liked that new doctor. Loads of personality. It was refreshing to hear different answers to questions than the ones that Dr Now always gives.  It seemed like he was listening and trying to provide an answer that the patient could understand, vs Dr Now spewing out the same lines every episode.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/3/2018 at 9:00 AM, calpurnia99 said:

And like it has been pointed out before, you can get a salad at a gas station now. And healthy things at fast food places.  The nutritionist taught them this, so they think "SALAD" okay taco salad- 700 calories, that isnt bad. LOL. At least it was much less than what they were eating before, probably 70000 calories before.  And when you weight 800 pounds you can still lose on more than 1200 calories a day. On the one hand they were changing their habits. It;s just basic ignorance.

They probably never go to coolers where those things are kept, they head straight for donuts, chips and candy aisle. So they probably have no idea there are better healthier options just few steps away...

Edited by ava111
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Trees said:

I just read the "Live" thread.  Wow, a lot of Michigan people there!  I'm also in SE Michigan and one of my kids went to grad school at U of M. 

Anyway, yeah, "Tee Tot" gave me a laugh!  I forgot about that until I saw the comment in the live thread.

I also liked that new doctor. Loads of personality. It was refreshing to hear different answers to questions than the ones that Dr Now always gives.  It seemed like he was listening and trying to provide an answer that the patient could understand, vs Dr Now spewing out the same lines every episode.

Give him a few years dealing with these people and he’ll sound just like Dr.Now, 

• Love 9

I remember what I wanted to mention! Did you notice how they moved the mattresses into the truck? They make mattress boxes and thick mattress plastic bags for moving. Those trucks are filthy. I can't imagine putting my mattress in one without it being covered up. Even wrapping it in an old sheet would be better. Yuck.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, aliya said:

I remember what I wanted to mention! Did you notice how they moved the mattresses into the truck? They make mattress boxes and thick mattress plastic bags for moving. Those trucks are filthy. I can't imagine putting my mattress in one without it being covered up. Even wrapping it in an old sheet would be better. Yuck.

That mattress is probably shot anyway. I can't imagine they last real long with all that weight.  All that junk didn't even look worth moving.

• Love 3

This show answered one of my questions about patients getting a referral to see Dr. Now from another Doctor.  Some of the episodes make it seems like the person just contacts the Doctor's office and says I'm big, really really big and will be coming to Houston in a U-Haul truck, can I make an appointment.    Their initial appointment with a local Doctor makes perfect sense.  It also explains why when Dr. Now comes in to consult he has a stack of papers.  I'm guessing it includes all of their known medical histories.  

Being familiar with Lafayette La, I would consider it the fried food capital of the US.  I worked Lafayette for two years and it was a struggle to maintain my weight.  If I wanted fried shrimp, I would have a 1/2 portion of fried shrimp, plain salad no cheese or croutons, and a salad dressing from the grocery store so I could control the calories.  I did get the crazy side eye look when I told them I didn't want the other 1/2 portion of shrimp to go, I didn't want it at all.  The fried food I had in Lafayette wasn't greasy, they have fried food down to perfection.  Fried did seem to be the standard for Lafayette however grilled, baked, and steamed was also on every menu.  Boiled crawfish, when in season was excellent.  

About the housing, it's classic project housing built in the late 60's or early 70's.  I've seen it all over Louisiana.  

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/3/2018 at 1:25 PM, Elizzikra said:

I think it's Federal law that restaurants/chains of a certain size have to have calorie counts posted, or at least available. Places like McDonald's opposed the law thinking that if people knew how many calories were in their food, they would stop eating it.

I wonder if it was more that Brandy didn't want to believe how many calories she was taking in. Honestly, until I really think about it, I have to wonder how a hamburger from McDonald's can possibly have over 1,000 calories. But then you look at the quantity and quality of the meat, the cheese, the bun, the mayo... It's not hard to get there. So maybe it wasn't so much that she couldn't figure out how many calories something had as much as she just didn't want to believe that her regular lunch had more than her entire day's allotment of 1200 calories in it.

It does prevent me from ordering their food. I've stood inside, looked at numbers, mulled it over and walked out on more than one occasion. lol  Or, just got a coffee to go.   But, I don't love that food like most of these patients do.  To me, it's a burden to have to eat at one of those fast food places.  I don't even consider it real food.  It's like they took some powder, added some flavoring, fat, salt and bunch of chemicals, then poured it in mold to look like a food product.  lol  This is my theory on places like KFC and Taco Bell.  This is one reason that I really feel for these super morbidly people who crave this fast food.  It's heartbreaking. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I'm watching the rerun of this, and the biggest sister is whining about the local doctor having a 400 lb limit for patients, and that she'll have to lose weight to get WLS.     Roshonda (the oldest sister, 800 lbs or so) does the most hysterical tantrums I've seen in years.    

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2019 at 5:29 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm watching the rerun of this, and the biggest sister is whining about the local doctor having a 400 lb limit for patients, and that she'll have to lose weight to get WLS.     Roshonda (the oldest sister, 800 lbs or so) does the most hysterical tantrums I've seen in years.    

I thought her "hysterics" were laughable. So fake. 

• Love 2