Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E01: All-Athletes Edition Premiere

• Start Topic

I think Mirai probably annoys people like Lindsey (forgot her last name) from last season who looked and sounded 10 years old. I think that being a ringer, she's going to be helped by the short season, though. I wouldn't be surprised if Adam, Mirai and Josh are the last three standing. Seems pretty predictable.

(edited)

Well, ABC sucks with this live voting format that almost completely discounts the entire west coast of the country. The abbreviated seasons of this and American Idol are a travesty. Please give me full seasons of the shows I love so I can connect with contestants and see growth. Otherwise, I'm out. I HATE this voting format and find it incredibly unfair the general  viewing audience and the contestants.

As for the figure skaters: I grew up watching skating in the 1990s. I was spoiled. We had Kristi, Tonya, and Nancy when I was a kid, and then Michelle all the way until the new system came in and killed the public's love for the sport. Two women won gold medals who were not Michelle Kwan, and I don't even care about them, but suffice to say, we had winners. All the time. This "bronze medal" BS from the team event just grates on my nerves. The team medals have only been around for 2 Olympics now, and we basically won it by default. Meryl and Charlie were gold medalists. Kristi was a gold medalist. Nancy had Olympic silver and bronze to her name. For pete's sake, Tonya Harding has a world silver.

Neither Adam nor Mirai have world medals to their name. Tonya accomplished more in her career than they did. I understand Adam's being on the show for his personality and personal triumphs, but I really have no patience for touting them like they won individual medals. Neither of them were anywhere near the podium in the individual event. The Shibutanis won the team bronze AND an individual bronze medal in ice dancing - the only individual figure skating medal brought home in South Korea. I am wondering why they're not here instead. 

Surprised we lost Johnny Damon already, and very sad to see Artem go. 

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 13
(edited)
58 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Well, ABC sucks with this live voting format that almost completely discounts the entire west coast of the country. The abbreviated seasons of this and American Idol are a travesty. Please give me full seasons of the shows I love so I can connect with contestants and see growth. Otherwise, I'm out. I HATE this voting format and find it incredibly unfair the general  viewing audience and the contestants.

As for the figure skaters: I grew up watching skating in the 1990s. I was spoiled. We had Kristi, Tonya, and Nancy when I was a kid, and then Michelle all the way until the new system came in and killed the public's love for the sport. Two women won gold medals who were not Michelle Kwan, and I don't even care about them, but suffice to say, we had winners. All the time. This "bronze medal" BS from the team event just grates on my nerves. The team medals have only been around for 2 Olympics now, and we basically won it by default. Meryl and Charlie were gold medalists. Kristi was a gold medalist. Nancy had Olympic silver and bronze to her name. For pete's sake, Tonya Harding has a world silver.

Neither Adam nor Mirai have world medals to their name. Tonya accomplished more in her career than they did. I understand Adam's being on the show for his personality and personal triumphs, but I really have no patience for touting them like they won individual medals. Neither of them were anywhere near the podium in the individual event. The Shibutanis won the team bronze AND an individual bronze medal in ice dancing - the only individual figure skating medal brought home in South Korea. I am wondering why they're not here instead. 

Surprised we lost Johnny Damon already, and very sad to see Artem go. 

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Shibutanis on a full/later season. Their accomplishments hold them up to be contenders for a non-athlete season, and they have so many other opportunities at the moment that they could be capitalizing on. Or, maybe they just don't want to do it. I'm sure a lot of athletes turned them down, who they had asked and were interested in.

I didn't have a problem with Tonya saying she was "the best figure skater in the world", because she was at one point/for a brief window. It was also so different pre-IJS scoring system/the international fields are so different now. Mirai had to do eight clean triples in the long program (which hadn't been done before by a senior lady/had only been done once by a 13 year old in JRs. Mao had done eight triples in 2014, but not called cleanly) to even come in second in her portion of the team event. It will be interesting to see how the team event is thought of over time.  Of the ladies, it seems like the Russian female skaters who skated in both the team event and the invididual event were the only ones who were fabulous in both.  For some (Osmond, Satoko), getting the nerves out in the team event seemed to help them in the individual event, and others (Gabby Daleman, Mirai, heck even Yulia in 2014) just peaked in the team event and kind of bombed the individual event. I doubt that Mirai or Adam would have been considered for this season for only their team bronze, if not for the triple Axel/for Adam becoming a pop culture star. Or, maybe if Tonya had been provided multiple opportunities to 'go for' the triple axel/had gotten to participate in a team event at the Olympics, there would have been less pressure knowing that she had more opportunities to hit it/she could have done the triple axel there. But she was really in a different shape at her both Olympics than she was at Worlds/Skate America.

Edited by BelleBrit
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

.......As for the figure skaters: I grew up watching skating in the 1990s. I was spoiled. We had Kristi, Tonya, and Nancy when I was a kid, and then Michelle all the way until the new system came in and killed the public's love for the sport. Two women won gold medals who were not Michelle Kwan, and I don't even care about them, but suffice to say, we had winners. All the time. This "bronze medal" BS from the team event just grates on my nerves. The team medals have only been around for 2 Olympics now, and we basically won it by default. Meryl and Charlie were gold medalists. Kristi was a gold medalist. Nancy had Olympic silver and bronze to her name. For pete's sake, Tonya Harding has a world silver.

Neither Adam nor Mirai have world medals to their name. Tonya accomplished more in her career than they did. I understand Adam's being on the show for his personality and personal triumphs, but I really have no patience for touting them like they won individual medals. Neither of them were anywhere near the podium in the individual event. The Shibutanis won the team bronze AND an individual bronze medal in ice dancing - the only individual figure skating medal brought home in South Korea. I am wondering why they're not here instead. .....

I'm not a huge fan of the Shibs, but they seem to be intelligent and PR-savvy.  Maybe they are smart enough to want nothing to do with this crappy abbreviated season and will hold out for a full season, or (gasp!) nothing at all.  Cuz if the Kween herself signed up for today's version of this show, I'd lose a lot of respect for her.  I think Kristi was lucky enough to do the the show when it still had some respectability left.  

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

and very sad to see Artem go. 

This sums up my feelings for this season already. 

My front runners are Josh and Chris, mostly because I'm over the figure skaters. 

• Love 6

I should be clear that, while I ragged on Mirai and Adam, they were the best last night. They both danced incredibly well and I hope they improve and make the finals. I have no issue with them at all, just this silly "team medal" business that muddies the waters for non-diehard figure skating fans.

I'm really rooting for Tonya. She was a powerhouse in her day - not exactly known for her "artistry" or "line", but she displayed both last night! Kudos to Sasha. I'd love to see him win a season - even this crappy short one.

• Love 3

Tonya-For goodness' sake, people, she has paid a higher price than some people have paid for murder. It's time to give her a chance.

I think the fact that there are some athletes who have committed far worse crimes and were then welcomed back into their sport gives Tonya license to claim she was treated unfairly. That said, she's her own worst enemy when it comes to PR. 

• Love 13

They said only the East and Central time zone viewers could vote, with their online accounts, but would they really know if you were voting from other time zones, by isp or something?  In any case, the voting system this time is such crap. I believe they somehow had it rigged and knew who was going home already - and especially knew who they were keeping, but then I always think that. But this series? The voting was open a mere few minutes after Josh danced? Is there any way in the world that could be called fair? (if you assumed it was all really as they 'said' it was - which I don't.)

• Love 1
(edited)

Mirai and Adam are absolutely deserving Olympic medalists.  I enjoyed the team competition, and Mirai in particular threw shit down.  She earned it, in a big way.  

Other than Midori Ito, Tonya didn’t face any truly formidable competitors.  Mirai has had to skate against Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, and the relentless march of Russian teens who don’t crack at big events.  Even had she skated as well in the individual event, her 8 triple LP including the axel wouldn’t have won.  It probably wouldn’t have gotten bronze.  All Tonya needed to win was a 5-6 triple program.  

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 6

I don't deny that Tonya was an awesome skater. I just don't like her because she has no remorse for what she did. I hate that the show is trying to make people feel sorry for her. She needs to stop blaming other people for her troubles and take some responsibility for what happened.

The only reason that Tonya has been able to get away with lying is because a lot of figure skating fans didn't like Nancy Kerrigan. I didn't care for her either, but she didn't deserve what she got. The show just keeps going lower and it's disgusting. I thought they jumped the shark with Lochte, but at least he never physically injured anyone!

• Love 15
4 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I'm really rooting for Tonya. She was a powerhouse in her day - not exactly known for her "artistry" or "line", but she displayed both last night! 

I respectfully disagree, especially about her line.  To me, it was gawky and clumsy.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

My figure skating fangirl self is squealing at the thought that all 3 of the 1991 World Championship medalists have now been on DWTS. 

If they had to do an abbreviated season, it should have been all skaters and shown during the Olympics. That would have been more fun and relevant than the Bachelor Winter Games. Then do a full season of athletes to give the audience time to get to know the less famous contestants. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, kazza said:

If they had to do an abbreviated season, it should have been all skaters and shown during the Olympics.

Then their ratings would have really tanked since I can't imagine anyone but skating fans watching that.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

Then their ratings would have really tanked since I can't imagine anyone but skating fans watching that.

That's the point. Skating, in its 90s/early 00s heyday, brought in huge tv ratings. Nationals (and I think even Worlds) were broadcast in prime time on network channels, and skating events were always great draws during the Olympics. As thesupremediva1 mentioned, the new points system killed skating for the casual viewer, but I'm guessing there were enough casual fans from back then who'd be willing to see their favorite skaters on DWTS now. I don't enjoy watching skating during the Olympics now - programs are basically a series of jumps - but I'd sure want to watch Kristi, Nancy, Tonya, Midori, Brian (both of them), Scott, Philippe, Katarina, Viktor, and dare I wish, Michelle on DWTS. 

Edited by kazza
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I thought it was interesting that they introduced the athletes in a pre-recorded way, instead of live on the dance floor. I think they were honestly worried that Tanya would get booed. Personally, I would be quick to forgive and forget with her, if she didn't present herself as a victim. "It was taken away from me, " my rear end! You threw it away with both hands! That said, it was thoughtful of TPTB to protect her from bad audience reaction.

Poor Kareem. It must literally be like trying to dance on stilts. I wasn't even sure his knees could bend. And yes he did look a lot like those car dealership guys, only made of rigid plastic instead of the floppy stuff. Still, I was really impressed that he got out there at 71 with a smile on his face and gave it his all, though I wouldn't exactly refer to it as dancing. 

I wasn't impressed with Arike. You gotta wear the shoes! I know that the costumers try to go with the contestants wishes, modest dressing, etc. But dancing shoes are part of the uniform. You wouldn't go out on the basketball court in heels..you don't go out on the dance floor in sneakers. 

The football player, Josh,  was an unexpected surprise. I remember the race car driver from a few seasons ago (I forget his name but he is doing commercials now) who come out of nowhere and almost won the whole thing. It's always fun when you get somebody like that who is a total dark horse. 

Too bad it is such a short season. 

James Hinchcliffe (danced with Sharna) was freakin' amazing.

Normally I don't get wrapped up in the winner(s), but I still maintain that he was robbed. There was a damn Olympic gymnast competing with him during the same season, Laurie Hernandez (danced with Val), so James was automatically destined not to win.

Sharna was also injured that season, so James had to dance with Jenna several times.  I can't help but wonder if dancing with Jenna impacted how he did at the end of the season.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I remember the race car driver from a few seasons ago (I forget his name but he is doing commercials now) who come out of nowhere and almost won the whole thing. It's always fun when you get somebody like that who is a total dark horse. 

I like dark horses, too. I'm still kind of bitter about James Hinchcliffe not winning.

16 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Alan had a tumor on his thyroid gland - it wasn't cancer but could have been a big problem if he hadn't had it removed.

Thank you! 

• Love 2
On 01/05/2018 at 6:48 AM, alexa said:

I just hope Mirai doesn't win.  I used to like the girl, but not after the end of the Olympics.  I just thinking winning would go to her little head.  As stated above, the figure skaters should cancel each other out so someone else will probably win.

I agree with you! I just googled her interview with Sport's Illustrated, and can't believe the things she said! She really thinks highly of herself, said she treated her skate as if it was an audition for Dancing With The Stars, so she got where she wanted to be. I will never hope she wins, she doesn't deserve it.

Jesus Effing Christ. Mirai was trying to cope with a stressful situation by cracking jokes, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised if people don't even consider the possibility that she might've been joking (because joking is something only men are supposed to do and women can't be funny, am I right?). Or if they think think female athletes, esp. young ones, aren't allowed to crack jokes so any attempt to do that must be met with utmost disapproval.

I bet Mirai was very disappointed, in addition to being exhausted, after her Olympic experience ended with that underwhelming free skate. Instead of breaking down there and then in the mixed zone (like she has sometimes done in the past and gotten some shit for that), she was trying to smile through it and brush it off and make some jokes. But of course, if you're  a young female athlete in that situation behaving in that manner, you're basically committing a crime more unforgivable than a footballer beating up his girlfriend. Because apparently all young women, athletes included, must be Proper Young Ladies at all times, and they aren't ever allowed to say something careless in their adrenaline-fueled post-competition mode, because their #1  objective in life should be striving to appear as as humble and demure as possible to placate people who still hold on to some 19th century crap about feminine decorum. And the same sports journalists that always complain how athletes in general, and figure skaters specifically, tend to speak only in canned answers and bland cliches, are ready to pounce and make a big show of being aghast and scandalized when a (female) athlete actually says something unexpected and off-kilter.

• Love 15
(edited)
5 hours ago, neem said:

esus Effing Christ. Mirai was trying to cope with a stressful situation by cracking jokes, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised if people don't even consider the possibility that she might've been joking (because joking is something only men are supposed to do and women can't be funny, am I right?). Or if they think think female athletes, esp. young ones, aren't allowed to crack jokes so any attempt to do that must be met with utmost disapproval.

I bet Mirai was very disappointed, in addition to being exhausted, after her Olympic experience ended with that underwhelming free skate. Instead of breaking down there and then in the mixed zone (like she has sometimes done in the past and gotten some shit for that), she was trying to smile through it and brush it off and make some jokes. But of course, if you're  a young female athlete in that situation behaving in that manner, you're basically committing a crime more unforgivable than a footballer beating up his girlfriend. Because apparently all young women, athletes included, must be Proper Young Ladies at all times, and they aren't ever allowed to say something careless in their adrenaline-fueled post-competition mode, because their #1  objective in life should be striving to appear as as humble and demure as possible to placate people who still hold on to some 19th century crap about feminine decorum. And the same sports journalists that always complain how athletes in general, and figure skaters specifically, tend to speak only in canned answers and bland cliches, are ready to pounce and make a big show of being aghast and scandalized when a (female) athlete actually says something unexpected and off-kilter.

Mirai also gave an interview after her short program (you can see it online, unlike the mixed zone comments that were conveniently not on film) where she started crying in the middle of it and said that she felt like she had let down her country. Girl was exhausted. She was truthfully never supposed to finish higher than the later half of the top ten, and all of the sports journalists who had been writing her off as a has been for years  were all of the sudden pumping her up as a medal contender in the individual event after the team event. After she popped the axel, she probably decided that she was going to try hard not to let it ruin her Olympic experience and what she had worked for for four years (and she still managed to land six clean triples, including combinations). She overcame a lot of odds to even get to the Olympics a second time And for the last time, it was not an "interview" with SI.  The mixed zone is where various reporters ask you right after you have skated "So, what happened? And why do US ladies all suck by the way?", and she was just defensive and flippant, when she should have saved it for the sports psychologist. She probably felt more comfortable than she should have with the sports journalists at that point, and didn't realize that her comments gave them an angle to focus on "this is why US ladies suck apparently! They are all famewhores!" Mirai is often criticized for not relaxing and performing during her skates, so the DWTS comment really was one of the less problematic things that she said tbh and made sense to me, since she was smiling during her individual skate even though it wasn't going the way she had planned. It was so different seeing her facial expressions during the dance, because she usually freezes up when she skates. 

Edited by BelleBrit
  • Love 10

Yep the Shibs definitely strike me as the kind of duo who are holding out for a full season. They probably have the juice to do it and they’ve taken the next skating season off. The show loves it when they get a duo of some kind on the show so I can see them having no problem waiting until the fall for them.

• Love 2

I'm judging the athletes on their performances, not their histories.  Of course, I wish they had never invited Tonya since has never shown one bit of remorse or admitted her fault in events....but we're stuck with her for now.

About Hinchcliffe:  he won as far as I'm concerned.  Amazing how much he learned, how he and Sharna bonded (truly) as buddies, and how well he performed.  (BTW...he's still doing fine as an Indy driver and Indy podcast host (along with Alexander Rossi - who appeared on TAR).

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Bridget said:

I wasn't impressed with Arike. You gotta wear the shoes!

I remember Master P who was partnered with Ashley. Shoes were a big deal that season too.

Are any skating shows touring now? Stars on Ice or something like that? Adam did say he had been flying back and forth. Maybe that's where some other skaters are. With Adam and Mirai being best friends, I can see Adam saying he wouldn't appear w/o his friend. I loved his story about them eating In And Out burgers on her roof when they both missed the last Olympics.

14 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

I'm still kind of bitter about James Hinchcliffe not winning.

I loved James as well. I think Josh could be this season's James (except maybe he'll win?).

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Bridget said:

James Hinchcliffe (danced with Sharna) was freakin' amazing.

Normally I don't get wrapped up in the winner(s), but I still maintain that he was robbed. There was a damn Olympic gymnast competing with him during the same season, Laurie Hernandez (danced with Val), so James was automatically destined not to win.

I think her win killed Simone Biles' chances, since a lot of people didn't want two gymnists in a row to win.

17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I remember Master P who was partnered with Ashley. Shoes were a big deal that season too.

Master P was an a**hole, and the shoes were just the tip of the iceberg.  Rumor was that his son Lil Romeo was supposed to go but couldn't so P (reluctantly) filled in.

• Love 2

I have to say I do find the emphasis so far on Adam and Mirai being BFFs hilarious after the past quad, for those following skating, had put so much focus on Adam and Ashley as training mates, best friends, and I think at one point even roommates. I do believe Adam and Mirai are tight, they're of the same skating generation, but the narrative now might've been a different one if Ashley had stepped it up this season and gotten to Pyeongchang. (That said, I prefer having Mirai on DWTS.)

• Love 5
On 5/2/2018 at 10:21 AM, bealled said:

I actually like Mirai, but could see why some will dislike her personality. I agree she does have a very California personality. I actually didn't think she seemed overly cocky. She seemed really supportive of Adam and even said she would be happy if he won. I think she comes across a bit younger than she is though, so that may annoy some since she reminds you of a high school girl rather than a 25 year old woman. She seemed harmless to me though, but we always have one contestant that everyone starts nitpicking at. Unfortunately it is usually a woman too, although not always. I also do see similarities between Mirai and Adam's personalities but I think Adam gets away with it more because he is a gay man. I also do think he is a bit sharper witted than her. Mirai strikes me as someone who just speaks without thinking, so has a bit of foot in mouth syndrome. Or she may just be an unnatural public speaker and sentences don't come out the way she intends. I know I feel that way a lot, that in my head I can create concise thoughts but when I verbalize them they tend to come out differently or I jumble words. Either way she was great on the dance floor and unless some others have massive improvements, I expect her to be a solid finalist and one of the top 3 dancers of the season.

I haven't watched the Olympics in years so I don't know anything about Adam and Mirai except that they were skaters in the Olympics.  Therefore, I had no previous opinion of her.  I agree with what you wrote.  She does come off younger than her age.  I think it's similar to Simone.  Both of them were sheltered and their lives revolved on training.  So it's not surprising that they seem younger.  However, I like her.  As for her dancing, she was good but a little excitable.  So her dance seemed a little rushed.  However, I would like to see her in the finals.

My two favorite dances were Adam and Josh.  Josh does seem like Rashad 2.0.  The problem with this short season is that Rashad had time to develop in the standard dances and his work ethic helped with that.  Josh could also be a hard worker but he won't have the time to do that.  So it would be interesting to see how he does.  With Latin, he could use his natural rhythm and swag.

Adams is the perfect partner for Jenna.  Most contestants would disappear dancing with her.  He didn't.

Chris is a dark horse and I would like to see him in the finals with the other three that I mentioned above.

Tonya was better than I thought she would be but no way did she deserve 8's.  I think the show wanted to keep her on.  If it was based on dance ability, then that's fine that she made it pass this week though.  I did roll my eyes with her "I was the best skater and it was taken away from me."  I still don't see her taking responsibility for her own actions.  I think that's why people like me have a problem with her.  She hasn't shown any remorse on her part.  And I also didn't like Nancy Kerrigan in the past because of her comments during the Olympics but I liked her on the show. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, lavenderblue said:

I have to say I do find the emphasis so far on Adam and Mirai being BFFs hilarious after the past quad, for those following skating, had put so much focus on Adam and Ashley as training mates, best friends, and I think at one point even roommates. I do believe Adam and Mirai are tight, they're of the same skating generation, but the narrative now might've been a different one if Ashley had stepped it up this season and gotten to Pyeongchang. (That said, I prefer having Mirai on DWTS.)

Isn't Adam pretty much everyone's best friend? I like Mirai as a skater and dancer, but she is a bit boring. I think Ashley would have been good. She is also a gorgeous dancer and she definitely wouldn't have been boring.

• Love 3

Shallow note:  Mirai's body is amazing.   I know its from a lifetime of training, but holy cow I am envious.  Her body is just as good/if not better than most of the female pros on there (maybe more muscular than the average female pro would prefer).

• Love 4
2 hours ago, lavenderblue said:

I hope they don't cram the friendship down our throats like they did with the married couples last season. I did notice that at the end of the night, it was the two of them Erin was talking to on stage before the results.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I hope they don't cram the friendship down our throats like they did with the married couples last season. I did notice that at the end of the night, it was the two of them Erin was talking to on stage before the results.

Lol, I like their friendship but I’m laughing because I saw this photo right before I read this comment. 

• Love 2

Rashad won 2 seasons ago, and yet no one seems to think it's "too many" football players, even on season 22 when we had 3 in one season.

I wasn't impressed with Josh at all. He was your textbook Football DWTS guy (charisma, showmanship, weak on technique, good on crowd pleasing moves). To me it reads more as finally giving Sharna a win, but unless he drastically improves by Week 4, he makes Rashad look like Jordan Fischer.

• Love 3

ABC is disgusting for putting on a woman who was banned from her sport for being a part of injuring another athlete.  They obviously are desperate for ratings and will put on any trash they can to get controversy.   Tonya should be banned for life from skating.  I don't like Nancy, but people knew how hard it is to train and compete at that level, and then have some trashy, jealous , low life losers  smack her so she was injured, is just beyond disgusting. I remember Tonya was so obviously guilty and knew what was happening.  And she's still trash.

I am all for redemption, but Tonya just blames everyone else, and boo hoo about her childhood!    If she showed some change or remorse, I would care, but she still seems like the same trashy, nasty, low life who would do what she wants to get ahead. 

And why did ABC have Tonya on Live with Kelly and Ryan?  They typically put people on who were eliminated.  What kind of organization is Disney to promote a person like Tonya in a special way to get more attention? 

Sorry, but this is part of the reason that we have such a messed up country where celebrity and ratings are more important than any sense of decency or rules.

What's next?  OJ Simpson staring on the "Felon Dancing with the Stars"??

• Love 12

The sad thing is Tonya isn't even getting them the ratings they want. Maybe if they put a real star on like Emmitt Smith or Kristi Yamaguchi they would have gotten people to watch. Like who really wants to see a criminal on the show.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

The sad thing is Tonya isn't even getting them the ratings they want. Maybe if they put a real star on like Emmitt Smith or Kristi Yamaguchi they would have gotten people to watch. Like who really wants to see a criminal on the show.

What did they expect?  Some of us really don't need to see someone like that glorified and pitied, when she has not taking any responsibility for  anything.   She's disgusting.

• Love 3

Tonya isn't getting them the ratings they want, but I truthfully don't think they were going to get ratings for a 4 week season no matter who was on, short of A-list movie stars who would obviously never touch this show with a 10 ft. pole.  I can see where limiting it to athletes would be limiting for viewership, but I just think in addition to general fatigue and declining ratings across all network shows, that a lot of people tuned out as soon as they heard 4 weeks.  Even the media doesn't really seem to be treating it as a real season, outside of some Adam press.  Especially with some of the bigger star pros not involved.  The media would rather cover Val in the audience than some of what is actually happening on the show.

Also while regular spring DWTS generally starts in March, I'd also add I think beginning of May is a hard time to start a show and expect loyal viewership.  Most regular seasons shows are wrapping up about now with their season finales and viewers that already have their stable of shows are finishing those out.  This is kind of in between regular spring television viewing and summer.  I know this wasn't an option, but they would have been better off pushing the mini season to the summer when people are looking for lightweight temporary shows to occupy their time.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree a mini-season in the middle of spring was a horrible idea, and they would have been better off going to the summer. However, I do think they are confusing controversy with high ratings. A lot of people simply don't want to see trash like Harding being glorified. You can tell TPTB are setting her up to be in the finals and it makes me sick.

You would think they could get some fairly big names for an athlete season. I know they will never get Brad Pitt, but would someone like Aaron Rodgers be out of the question? Maybe Josh was the biggest football star they could manage, but surely in the off season they could get someone bigger?

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1

I was lukewarm about this season before watching the premiere and nothing has changed.  Other than Chris and Josh, everyone else was just boring to me (I refuse to watch Harding so have no clue how she did nor do I care as I absolutely refuse to participate in the revisionist history about the clubbing of Nancy Kerrigan).  

Glad it's a short season because it's pretty underwhelming.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I agree a mini-season in the middle of spring was a horrible idea, and they would have been better off going to the summer. However, I do think they are confusing controversy with high ratings. A lot of people simply don't want to see trash like Harding being glorified. You can tell TPTB are setting her up to be in the finals and it makes me sick.

You would think they could get some fairly big names for an athlete season. I know they will never get Brad Pitt, but would someone like Aaron Rodgers be out of the question? Maybe Josh was the biggest football star they could manage, but surely in the off season they could get someone bigger?

I don't think they'll ever get an Aaron Rodgers or a Derek Jeter or a LeBron. Why would they need to do this show?

One thing I do think is that there's too many Olympians. They're of no interest to me because I couldn't care less about the Olympics.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

A lot of people simply don't want to see trash like Harding being glorified. You can tell TPTB are setting her up to be in the finals and it makes me sick.

I don't disagree that there are lot of people that don't want to see Tonya glorified.  Me included, though I can't seem to get myself overly worked up about it.  However take Tonya out of this mix and put someone else in her place and I don't think the ratings would be any different.

One thing I do think is that there's too many Olympians. They're of no interest to me because I couldn't care less about the Olympics.

I also think one thing that doesn't help is usually the Olympics makes a lot of big stars.  More so in recent years the summer games as opposed to the winter games, but this past Olympics was a lot more low key than usual? Or it felt like it? Outside of Adam, I'm not sure any huge stars came out of it and even in Adam's case it was more about his personality than his performance in said games.  I personally love the Olympics, but had a very hard time connecting to this past one, so therefore have little connection to the Olympians on this season.  And yes, I understand that not all the Olympians are from this past winter games.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/2/2018 at 2:25 PM, thesupremediva1 said:

The week 1 voting by East Coast only to determine that night's eliminations was only for week 1.  Here on, eliminations will be:  Week 1's overnight votes combined with Week 2's scores to determine Week 2's elimination.  It's all spelled out in the new press release https://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/shows/dancing-with-the-stars-athletes/episodes/episode-2602/press-releases/

Edited by Uke
On 5/2/2018 at 8:44 PM, kazza said:

My figure skating fangirl self is squealing at the thought that all 3 of the 1991 World Championship medalists have now been on DWTS. 

If they had to do an abbreviated season, it should have been all skaters and shown during the Olympics. That would have been more fun and relevant than the Bachelor Winter Games. Then do a full season of athletes to give the audience time to get to know the less famous contestants. 

Off topic: In 1996, North Carolina was having some kind of ice skating palooza. It was a bitterly cold, snowy March and I was 17 years old, accompanying my mother on a conference in Asheville. Her conference cronies were the only people checked into this massive resort. It was creepy, quiet, and very Overlook Hotel. After 3 days of total boredom, I was hanging out in the lobby at around 10pm one night a couple of limos pulled up. As the doors opened, I watched in fangirl excitement as the following filed into our lobby: Oksana Baiul, Viktor Petrenko, Kristi Yamuguchi, Paul Wylie, Dorothy Hamil, Todd Eldredge, Tara Lipinski, and more. (The tall guy with the long, black hair. Can't remember his name but he was gorgeous. He bought me an apple juice.) We spent several hours hanging out in the lobby. Still one of my fondest memories. 

• Love 9
On 4/30/2018 at 9:29 PM, smiley13 said:

Sharna does not deserve to win.  She is the blight on this season.  We are rid of Golden Boy, Val and Maks, but Sharna is still there,  Can she please just go away!

Are you freaking kidding me? Sharna isn't like those annoying dancers. SMH. She should've already won the show 3 times already.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Could you be referring to Christopher Bowman?

It was Phillipe Candeloro. Sometimes he did a BRAVEHEART routine, other times a pirate one. He was very nice looking back in the day. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Hiacios said:

Are you freaking kidding me? Sharna isn't like those annoying dancers. SMH. She should've already won the show 3 times already.

Agree.  TPTB have given Sharna plenty of partners to win with.  I'm beginning to think she wouldn't have won even if she had Jordan or Rashad.  But even she could've won with Alfonso.  This is a shortened season. Name recognition means a lot--even Kareem made it through.  Josh seems to be one of the favorites. So again Sharna has a great chance.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, crossover said:

Agree.  TPTB have given Sharna plenty of partners to win with.  I'm beginning to think she wouldn't have won even if she had Jordan or Rashad.  But even she could've won with Alfonso.  This is a shortened season. Name recognition means a lot--even Kareem made it through.  Josh seems to be one of the favorites. So again Sharna has a great chance.

Sharna is what Maks used to be -- the one who's had plenty of chances to win, but hasn't been able to make it happen. I just hope we're not in for a future season that's totally scripted to give her the win like we had to suffer through during Season 18 for Maks. But since Sharna doesn't whine constantly about never having won, I'm optimistic.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/5/2018 at 9:58 PM, crossover said:

On 5/5/2018 at 10:30 PM, Toonces464 said:

Sharna is what Maks used to be -- the one who's had plenty of chances to win, but hasn't been able to make it happen. I just hope we're not in for a future season that's totally scripted to give her the win like we had to suffer through during Season 18 for Maks. But since Sharna doesn't whine constantly about never having won, I'm optimistic.

IMO I can't look at any one pro in isolation. To me it depends a lot on who the competitors are. Also in recent seasons it appears to me that TPTB are making the decision as to who "wins", or as I prefer, who is "awarded".  TPTB used to put it's thumb on the scale. Now they seem to be putting their whole fist on the scale.  I just think Sharna hasn't received this benefit from TPTB...yet.  I do think her time will come as shouts get louder that she hasn't won and is "due".

Edited by Uke
  • Love 3
On 5/5/2018 at 2:08 PM, mamadrama said:

It was Phillipe Candeloro.

Yes! As a related side note, Phillipe placed second in the 2011 (second) season of the French version of Dancing With The Stars.

• Love 2
(edited)

Leaving aside any speculation on what she knew and when she knew it, Tonya Harding is a freaking goldmine of examples for my high school psych class! She doesn't just put responsibility and blame outside herself, she puts everything--happiness, sadness, love, acceptance, respect, it all comes from outside herself. She wants so desperately to be loved and accepted, and she just knew she was going to be rejected yet again. She totally had that abused-puppy-coming-for-more look on her face during the elimination and really the whole evening, and it was so awkward and painful to watch. And then she was accepted and just collapsed! Woman needs some serious therapy to learn to love and accept herself and stop giving a crap what others think.

But the other issue she raises is identity. Must she forever be known as That Girl from That Thing? Can she ever move past it? It's like Deadshot from Suicide Squad who doesn't want to be The Hitman Criminal anymore but wants to be The Guy His Daughter Looks Up To. And he even saves the freaking world, but everyone still sees him as a Really Bad Guy who must be locked up. Deserved or not, it can be hard to never be allowed to move past one mistake made in foolish youth and never be more than that. And how many people would accept her even if she did confess, take responsibility, and show regret for more than just her own suffering? 

Edited by majormama
  • Love 6