Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E15: Top 10 - Disney Night

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Right?  It’s strange because many people watched AI for the Simon critiques more than the performances.  I believe the networks understood that (or at least that the audience was tuning in for the judges)to some extent and then The Voice was created which focused more on the judges.  The problem is that they missed the key part of the formula - the critiques!  I don’t want more time spent on judges if it’s sappy praise.  The Four seemed to get the critique part right as  Sean Combs was super critical, but I don’t like the formula for contestants advancing on that show.  It’s too bad.  Sigh.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Cade, yes, and Caleb (who will win). Plus a random female; I've been sure it would be Gabby, but maybe not.

I'm thinking they want a minority represented.  If true, Michael is the only one that might fill that slot.

1 hour ago, nutty1 said:

Can someone give me Dennis's background and why he had not seen his daughter in so long? I did not watch the show this season until the top 10 reveal show.

I like Michael.....I think it would be awesome for someone like him to win. Imagine the confidence he would get. Anything interesting in his background story?

Last night was the first time I heard how long it had been since he had seen her and I have watched the entire show.  Now, that doesn't mean I was paying attention the entire time.  ;>

4 hours ago, Wings said:

Drag queens are not known for quiet good taste.   Drag IS Schlick.  He can now be a headliner in a drag show!   This has served him well.  ;>

Drag involves a sense of humor, and The ability to entertain an audience with it.  All I saw was a youngish guy dressed like an old woman and singing.  I can’t imagine him working an audience. Headliner?  Not until he gets an image overhaul.  That was some too wong foo crap, 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, gingerella said:

This show's new format sucks ass. The 'judges' suck, or should I say suck UP, I'm not sure to whom, Ryan perhaps, so they wont get fired? Between the overdone plastic surgery that is Lionel Ritchie, and that Mr. Generic Country Dude, neither of them say ANYthing that is close to resembling critical thinking or constructive criticism. And that idiot, Katy Perry, is beyond grating. She makes every damn comment about her, not the contestants. She's always mugging and playing for the camera like she's playing some prescribed script that was written for her. Her stupid goddamn facial expressions. Her stupid comments. Her stupid outfits. She is a moron and offers nothing positive to this show, IMO. And that's not even taking into account the abysmal quality of contestants this season. They all pretty much suck from what I've heard so far. None deserve to be in the Top 10.

I'm also wondering if the show's getting shitty ratings and that's why they're dumping three people at a time in one episode. In it's glory days, they strung out the vote outs over 2-3 episodes over one week, now we get a Top 10 and in insipid Disney themed caterwaul-off, and let's dump three of them quick. They should have left this show dead and buried if you ask me. It's just not working, and really hasn't since the Simon/Paula/Randy days.

You're damned right.  I can hardly stand to watch Perry, she is repulsive.  It is not the same anymore, I long for the Simon/Paula/Randy days for sure.  Not a fan of the rushed show, you barely know the contestants.  None of them are that great at all.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Halting Hex said:

Well, many people, perhaps even most people, are uncomfortable voting based on performances they haven't heard yet.  Say you voted for Gabby and then discovered that she was singing a crap-ass song (I'm sorry, but that "blue corn moon" lyric still works my last nerve) AND she sang it really poorly, too whispery and shaky, are you going to rush to switch your votes to Dennis even though he might be equally poor, for all you know?  Or are you going to wait until you actually hear Dennis sing "Can You Feel My Crotch Tonight?"* and then who knows, maybe the dryer goes off and you never get a chance to switch the votes at all?  "Blind" voting isn't a universal preference.  Yet people were forced to vote more blindly for Dennis than they were for Maddie.  Which sucked for Dennis, I thought.

(*-yes, I'm 12.)

They disadvantaged the entire Western half of the country by forcing them to vote before 7pm local time.  What if there was somebody with a regional fan base that was disenfranchised?  I mean, if you don't count Dennis's car as "L.A." when the rest of his story was "Philadelphia", the farthest-west of the remaining contestants was Adam (San Antonio), so this might not have been an issue, but it's easy to imagine this format harming some modern-day Jasmine Trias, waiting for the Hawai'i vote that would get choked off.

I get it, a lot of people are uncomfortable with change.  Personally, after some initial trepidation, I've decided I like this method.  If I miss the voting window, I have no one to blame but myself.  

3 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Water seeks its own level.  My wish is to have them both eliminated together and they can ride off into the sunset, but I know that's not going to happen.  Cade is this season's WGWG, so it's all over but the crying.  By me.

I don't think Cade and Gabby are on the same level regarding their intentions though. For all the comments I've heard this season about Cade being arrogant I think the entire opposite. He comes across very humble, sincere and polite to me. Gabby on the other hand seems somewhat fake and calculating. Cade seemed so embarrassed by Katy's antics last night that he couldn't wait to get off the stage and shut her up. But for all her covering her face in horror when Ryan outed them I suspect Gabby was relishing the attention. There's a video on YouTube of them in which she is singing as he plays the guitar for her. It struck me very much that it's all about her and Cade seems smitten with her. I could be wrong but if she wins this thing or even comes close I predict she will forget him quickly. They may be riding off into the sunset but I doubt it will be together.

ETA: Cade may have a sizable fan base and go far but I don't see him winning. I think Maddie will take the crown.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, Nessie said:

I get it, a lot of people are uncomfortable with change.  Personally, after some initial trepidation, I've decided I like this method.  If I miss the voting window, I have no one to blame but myself.  

The show can have viewers vote however they want them to, but I think it should be as fair as possible to all the contestants, and I don't think last night was.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Drag involves a sense of humor, and The ability to entertain an audience with it.  All I saw was a youngish guy dressed like an old woman and singing.  I can’t imagine him working an audience. Headliner?  Not until he gets an image overhaul.  That was some too wong foo crap, 

Ha ha ha!  Granted he needs to work on his act and look.   The Golden Girls just don't pull in the audience. 

30 minutes ago, Nessie said:

I am uncomfortable with not enough change.  I do like this method on second thought.   Not waiting a week for results satisfies my need for instant gratification.  

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

I don't think Cade and Gabby are on the same level regarding their intentions though. For all the comments I've heard this season about Cade being arrogant I think the entire opposite. He comes across very humble, sincere and polite to me. Gabby on the other hand seems somewhat fake and calculating. Cade seemed so embarrassed by Katy's antics last night that he couldn't wait to get off the stage and shut her up. But for all her covering her face in horror when Ryan outed them I suspect Gabby was relishing the attention. There's a video on YouTube of them in which she is singing as he plays the guitar for her. It struck me very much that it's all about her and Cade seems smitten with her. I could be wrong but if she wins this thing or even comes close I predict she will forget him quickly. They may be riding off into the sunset but I doubt it will be together.

ETA: Cade may have a sizable fan base and go far but I don't see him winning. I think Maddie will take the crown.

I agree.  His package showed he was a shy, awkward chubby kid.  His sister exclaimed how far he had come, for herself too.  She was also a chubby geek.  I don't think he accustomed to girls (and women) falling all over him.   He is only 21. 

He needs to do something about his posture before it is too late.  He juts his head forward and it is not a good look.  Probably a  result of being self conscious about his height when younger.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, lampwick said:

Right?  It’s strange because many people watched AI for the Simon critiques more than the performances.  I believe the networks understood that (or at least that the audience was tuning in for the judges)to some extent and then The Voice was created which focused more on the judges.  The problem is that they missed the key part of the formula - the critiques!  I don’t want more time spent on judges if it’s sappy praise.  The Four seemed to get the critique part right as  Sean Combs was super critical, but I don’t like the formula for contestants advancing on that show.  It’s too bad.  Sigh.

Before Simon left I felt like I was one of very few who admitted to appreciating his critiques, on TWOP.  It seemed like everyone was all about how mean he was for years.  Now he's missed, apparently, eight years later?  Which is weird that comes out here now, because no one here seemed to miss him for all the post-Cowell Fox seasons, at least not in droves.  

Gabby doesn't seem fake and calculating to me, but I'm probably biased because she looks a lot like a niece I love.  Normally a fake twang bugs me.  Maybe I need to listen closer.  

1 hour ago, yorklee2 said:

I'd be totally on board with a Maddie win.  Just not with a Cade win.  Oh please no.  Although i did feel badly for him when Katie had her meltdown.  Has she always been this unhinged or is she just acting nuts to garner all the attention at the judges' table?  What if Luke had done the very same thing regarding Gabby?  Would that be okay in anyone's book?  Of course not, it would be harrassment, and yet TPTB allow an older woman to basically hit on a kid.  I mentioned some pages back that all this really makes me miss J-Lo.  Hell, after last night I miss Mariah!  Jeez Louise. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Wings said:

Not waiting a week for results satisfies my need for instant gratification.  

It was never a week.  It was a day.  Sometimes the results show was only a half-hour long.  (And still felt bloated at that.)  Jiggle the comedy bloc and run both this and DwtS results on Tuesday; problem solved.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Halting Hex said:

It was never a week.  It was a day.  Sometimes the results show was only a half-hour long.  (And still felt bloated at that.)  Jiggle the comedy bloc and run both this and DwtS results on Tuesday; problem solved.

Told ya I can't deal with waiting!  G 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, nutty1 said:

Can someone give me Dennis's background and why he had not seen his daughter in so long? I did not watch the show this season until the top 10 reveal show.

I like Michael.....I think it would be awesome for someone like him to win. Imagine the confidence he would get. Anything interesting in his background story?

Dennis was born in Philly and his dad was murdered when he was 5. AI introduced him during auditions with this story and how he left Philly to come to CA to get into music. He was homeless for a time and then met the love of his life and they had a child and his life turned around. I remember I rewatched Dennis' early story on AI because both he and Marcio(who had adopted a baby) had babies and were from CA. AI paired Marcio and Dennis together when they were picking the final 24, making us think only one of the dads was going through, and then they put both of the dads through. 

Then last week(top 14) AI shows the story of Dennis having an older child, from the age it seems like he was a teenage dad? back in Philly that he left behind when he came to LA that he didn't get to see much. So last week I kind of felt AI wanted Marcio to go through. Marcio's story was he and his sister were foster kids in the system and his sister got into drugs and her baby was about to be put into the system so as a single guy he adopted the baby make sure he broke the cycle of the "system". Then last week you had Marico stand up adoptive father and now Dennis had left a child behind in Philly (at least this was the edit) to go on to have another child in CA and had been homeless. This week we see him at Disney seeing his older Philly daughter for the first time in a few years. It was either an odd edit because it was not some joyless surprise like you would think it should be? 

Micheal does not have any big story like a death or illness or baby or at least I do not remember it. He has gotten though on singing, He did win a Disney singing competetion years ago that had some AI judges like I think Jordan Sparks and Adam Lambert on it. Not sure how much it helped him. I assume it got him an easier audition at least. 

I remember in the beginning the judges saying they wanted a package not just a voice. They wanted a journey, the look, the personality not just a voice. Marcio had the story that seem "the story" but Dennis had a better voice IMO. If you take what is left, Catie and Gabby have what they are looking for the most? I think AI would like Jurnee to go further but it is not going to happen by the voting system. Jurnee's best shot would have been 1 person out every week and build up a fan base. It is hard to build up a fan base after 2 weeks. 2 of my favorite AI of all time were Michael Johns and Brooke White and I would have never liked them as much if I had only heard them 1-2 times. It was those odd weeks like Neil Diamonds songs that changed my mind about contestants. 

Count me in as being surprised about Gabby dating Cade. At first I was concerned about age but found out Gabby turned 18 last month since Gabe is 21. I remembered her as 17. Maybe I'm old fashion but I say enjoy your teen years dating people that are teens , go off to college or start a career and then start dating people in their 20's. 

• Love 3

Though most contestants gave us decent vocal performances, I found this episode to be incredibly boring.  Not that I expected better from Disney week.  The best came first with Maddie and Jurnee, but after that it kind of went downhill and I found myself struggling not to doze off.  Michael was the only one from the bottom half of the episode that really impressed me.

The award for the two worst vocal performances goes to Gabby and Cade, though at least the later did some interesting things with his song.

The award for the two most boring performances goes to Caleb and Catie, mostly due to song choice.  Of those two, Catie at least showed some depth and dynamics in her vocals.  Caleb has an a kind of ordinary country voice that sounds like one long drone to me.  The only thing he has going for him is that kind of "aw shucks" likability that seems to impress viewers of this show.

Taking all the above into account, I have to assume that Caleb is probably going to win (WGWG, boring, uncontroversial, likable, and handsome enough in a "boy next door" kind of way).  But I guess I'll keep watching as long as any combination of Maddie, Michael and Jurnee are still around.

The DVR audience and Hulu viewers like me have the ability to vote.  They just have to do it for last week’s fav, and set a reminder.  I don’t think it matters but I’m west coast so have never voted really.  The shows have always favored east coast viewers’ votes.  

I suspect very few viewers vote, relatively.  Has Ryan given vote totals?   Divide it by 30 votes then by the x millions of viewers.  

Has she always been this unhinged or is she just acting nuts to garner all the attention at the judges' table?

(Regarding Katy Perry):  this has been debated for some time.  She seems to fall into the problem that Kurt Vonnegut pointed out in Mother Night:  "Be careful who you pretend to be, for in the end, you are who you pretend to be."   

I suspect it started as an effort to be exaggerated for attention, but now I hope she's learned to pretend to be someone she really likes.  Doing good for others is a good way to accomplish that, but she might already know that.

19 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Didn't like Cade's whispery version of "Kiss the Girl", and really HATED Michelle's "Remember Me".  It's like she took the lyrics of the song and put an entirely different tune to it.

I really liked Michelle's performance, but then again, I'm not familiar with the original version of the song.

8 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

That Cade thing sounded like Bon Jovi.  

I though Bon Jovi, too. But I actually LIKE Bon Jovi and didn't really like Cade' s performance.

8 hours ago, Wings said:

Same here.  Catie is being her genuine self and humble. She is not acting or pushing quirky.  I sense she is an outsider in her life but not allowing that to drive her train.  I like her. 

Catie  was acting "quirkier" in earlier episodes (stumbling across the stage, silly body movements). I think she's eased up after reading the negative online comments. 

3 hours ago, Wings said:

I'm thinking they want a minority represented.  If true, Michael is the only one that might fill that slot.

Last night was the first time I heard how long it had been since he had seen her and I have watched the entire show.  Now, that doesn't mean I was paying attention the entire time.  ;>

I didn't even know he had an older daughter and I thought I was paying attention.

2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Here's Michael on a competition that he won.  He's not quite the novice that the edit infers.  I still love him.

Michael is the contestant that I think is acting fake. He's all "aww, shucks" and....fake! He seemed different and more normal (for lack of a better word) in the video from the other show that someone posted on page 1.

2 hours ago, yorklee2 said:

For all the comments I've heard this season about Cade being arrogant I think the entire opposite. He comes across very humble, sincere and polite to me. Gabby on the other hand seems somewhat fake and calculating. Cade seemed so embarrassed by Katy's antics last night that he couldn't wait to get off the stage and shut her up. But for all her covering her face in horror when Ryan outed them I suspect Gabby was relishing the attention. There's a video on YouTube of them in which she is singing as he plays the guitar for her. It struck me very much that it's all about her and Cade seems smitten with her. I could be wrong but if she wins this thing or even comes close I predict she will forget him quickly. 

I think Cade is only arrogant when it comes to his music. He thinks he's really good. Socially, I think he's probably awkward and not used to being a sex symbol. Gabby, otoh, is confident with her music AND her looks. She's probably more experienced than Cade when it comes to dating.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

Maybe I'm old fashion but I say enjoy your teen years dating people that are teens , go off to college or start a career and then start dating people in their 20's. 

My teen with a 20 y/o boyfriend would say teen boys are usually too immature for the girls their own age.  I think people should date whomever they want.  

Though I’m a little skeeved by Kat McPhee and David Foster.  35 years difference is a lot.  

(edited)
16 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Before Simon left I felt like I was one of very few who admitted to appreciating his critiques, on TWOP.  It seemed like everyone was all about how mean he was for years.  Now he's missed, apparently, eight years later?  Which is weird that comes out here now, because no one here seemed to miss him for all the post-Cowell Fox seasons, at least not in droves.  

Gabby doesn't seem fake and calculating to me, but I'm probably biased because she looks a lot like a niece I love.  Normally a fake twang bugs me.  Maybe I need to listen closer.  

I was right there with you but not on TWoP.  I have felt his absence since the day the new judges arrived.  His critiques were honest, true and brief as were his praises. None of original 3 were long winded nor saught attention.

Edited by Wings
  • Love 3
(edited)

I think Cade is only arrogant when it comes to his music. He thinks he's really good. Socially, I think he's probably awkward and not used to being a sex symbol. Gabby, otoh, is confident with her music AND her looks. She's probably more experienced than Cade when it comes to dating.

Funny what you call confidence in Gabby is arrogance with Cade?? They both have a right to be confident of their talents and skills. I'm not an expert but I think Cade has awesome guitar skills. He's been playing since he was a young teen and won a competition as best guitarist in Texas. His singing is not the best but he still has time to hone it with the right people around him.

Gabby is very confident of her skills, as she should be, but it sometimes borders on arrogance in my opinion. I think she was awesome when she did, "Little Red Wagon". No one can deny her talent. Maybe a lot of it is just her age but personally I prefer my stars to be more down to earth and self depreciating. Kelly Clarkson is a perfect example.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 1
(edited)

llewis823, I don't understand. Are you suggesting  that, re Michelle,  because two Hispanic females have reached a level of Pop success, "why do it again?", but Cade can continue to be just like "quite a few very successful rockers out there"?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

Funny what you call confidence in Gabby is arrogance with Cade?? They both have a right to be confident of their talents and skills. I'm not an expert but I think Cade has awesome guitar skills. He's been playing since he was a young teen and won a competition as best guitarist in Texas. His signing is not the best but he still has time to hone it with the right people around him.

Gabby is very confident of her skills, as she should be, but it sometimes borders on arrogance in my opinion. I think she was awesome when she did, "Little Red Wagon". No one can deny her talent. But personally I prefer my stars to be more down to earth and self depreciating. Kelly Clarkson is a perfect example.

I was only using the word arrogant because you used it in your post that I was quoting. Going back, I see that you were referring to others calling him arrogant. I agree, he's very confident. He even said he thinks he can win this and I am confident that sees this as a great possibility. 

(edited)
50 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I was only using the word arrogant because you used it in your post that I was quoting. Going back, I see that you were referring to others calling him arrogant. I agree, he's very confident. He even said he thinks he can win this and I am confident that sees this as a great possibility. 

Catie is the only contestant I have heard in the history of this show say when asked if they think they can win the show, "honestly not really". Given her quirky/offbeat personality I didn't take it seriously. Cade was asked this question it wasn't something he volunteered. As they have asked many contestants over the years and 99% of the their responses have been, "yes". And honestly what does anyone expect them to say? If they say no they come across as not confident or weak. If you say it with a, "yes I absolutely think I will win this" attitude as opposed to, "yes I think there's a reasonable possibility" than that can be perceived in different ways. Most contestants fall in the second category I think. Including Cade. Your opinion may differ of course.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

Catie is the only contestant I have heard in the history of this show say when asked if they think they can win the show, "honestly not really". Given her quirky/offbeat personality I didn't take it seriously. Cade was asked this question it wasn't something he volunteered. As they have asked many contestants over the years and 99% of the their responses have been, "yes". And honestly what does anyone expect them to say? If they say no they come across as not confident or weak. If you say it with a, "yes I absolutely think I will win this" attitude as opposed to, "yes I think there's a reasonable possibility" than that can be perceived in different ways. Most contestants fall in the second category I think. Including Cade. Your opinion may differ of course.

Contrary to what you may believe, I have nothing against Cade.

Do I think he's confident (some may say arrogant)? Yes

Do I think he believes he could win this? Yes

Do *I* think he can win this? Yes

Is he my pick to win this? No, my pick is maddie.

I think Cade has got what it takes to be a successful act. If he doesn't make it as a solo act, I can see him being a guitarist in a successful band. He's certainly getting a lot of exposure. I can even see Luke or Katy asking  him to play guitar on one of their tours.

6 minutes ago, kelslamu said:

Katy P gives me second hand embarrassment for her.  Stop it please.  This is a case of most of them are laughing at you, not with you.

I like Katy, but she did overdo it in the cade-gabby-dating segment.

• Love 2

Katy needs to stop, she is cringy!

Luke's name tag said Dopey, lol!

I didn't think too much of the D-Capella's. They get a D.

Maddie-I didn't pay too much attention to her before, but now I feel like I could listen to her all day.

Jurnee-I still don't feel like she's connecting to the audience very well.

Cade-Somebody tell him to stand up straight, I wanted to reach through my computer and adjust his microphone. This song was his nail in the coffin for me. Enunciation is important.

Adam/Ava-I'm done with his schtick, it's beyond tiresome now.

Michelle-I listened to the beginning of her song, then ff'd. She needs to be gone.

Gabby-Again, I listened to the beginning, then ff'd. I just couldn't listen to the over-the-top fake twang anymore.

Michael-He does have an incredible voice, but this wasn't my favorite performance of his. When Idina told him to stop swaying, I was thinking "I don't think he can", which is one of the reasons I think he's on the spectrum.

Caleb-Another person I think I could listen to all day. I agree with the judges, this was a great song choice for him.

Catie-OMG-Idina's face when Catie said her thighs were sweating, haha! Singing-wise, though, not bad.

Dennis-Way to end the night, great job!

The three that I would like to see gone tonight are Michelle, Ada/m, and either Cade or Gabby.

Well, I got 2/3 of my wish. Sad to see Dennis go.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:59 PM, zoemom said:

Hurray!!!! Ada is finally gone.  Found it interesting that when he and his significant other were at Disney, Ada was nowhere to be found.  That "gimmick" just didn't work.

Yay, finally! I found that interesting as well. Ada was also never around for rehearsals.

(edited)
17 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Contrary to what you may believe, I have nothing against Cade.

Do I think he's confident (some may say arrogant)? Yes

Do I think he believes he could win this? Yes

Do *I* think he can win this? Yes

Is he my pick to win this? No, my pick is maddie.

I think Cade has got what it takes to be a successful act. If he doesn't make it as a solo act, I can see him being a guitarist in a successful band. He's certainly getting a lot of exposure. I can even see Luke or Katy asking  him to play guitar on one of their tours.

I like Katy, but she did overdo it in the cade-gabby-dating segment.

I was responding with my opinion on things you said in your posts. Same as you are doing with me. You think he's confident/arrogant (as you stated above) and I think he's confident yes, arrogant no. That's why I said your opinion may differ. I mean that is what the board is about..to discuss and give our opinions. Even if it differs from someone else. Happens all the time.

I agree with many of your points in the post above. I think Cade can be successful if surrounded by people who believe in him and can blend some original current tunes in with the classics. I can see your point also that he could potentially get a spot as musician for a top artist, if not a solo career. I think his guitar skills are solid. And I too think Maddie will be the winner. Not only think but hope she's the winner.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

One more thing--I love Disney, and it irritated me that there were some incorrect lyrics sung tonight.

Yes, I noticed that too, and it bugged me. These are classic songs that everyone knows the words to. You can't mess them up without it being really obvious and distracting. I noticed at least Cade and Dennis do it; if there were others, I've forgotten by now. I think "Kiss the Girl" could be cool with that arrangement, if they'd used a better singer!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Maddie-I didn't pay too much attention to her before, but now I feel like I could listen to her all day.

Jurnee-I still don't feel like she's connecting to the audience very well.

Yes!  Loved Maddie.

Jurnee - very pretty, but dull.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, lampwick said:

Seems Idol is morphing into the Voice with so much emphasis on the antics of the judges..well judge, I suppose since Katie is the real culprit.   Same with critiques.  Nothing of much substance on The Voice.  I figure once AI has its Top 10 and America begins to vote,  they figure there's not much need for critique since it really turns into a popularity contest at that point.   I have to say, I did not plan to watch the AI reboot, but have really enjoyed this season.   Much more than The Voice--I practically check out watching those episodes.   I like that most Idol contestants have little to no real experience and are raw talent.     

13 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

The DVR audience and Hulu viewers like me have the ability to vote.  They just have to do it for last week’s fav, and set a reminder.  I don’t think it matters but I’m west coast so have never voted really.  The shows have always favored east coast viewers’ votes.  

I suspect very few viewers vote, relatively.  Has Ryan given vote totals?   Divide it by 30 votes then by the x millions of viewers.  

Ratings were up, 8 million live viewers.  So fewer than 5% of them are likely to be voters.  And given Ryan didn't give a vote total after the middle of the show or so, most of them probably voted early for their known favorite. 

I like the insta-result, too.  Though the results shows used to be kind of amusing, with all their silly filler like Ford commercials.  

8 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Michael-He does have an incredible voice, but this wasn't my favorite performance of his. When Idina told him to stop swaying, I was thinking "I don't think he can", which is one of the reasons I think he's on the spectrum.

Catie-OMG-Idina's face when Catie said her thighs were sweating, haha! Singing-wise, though, not bad.

Yay, finally! I found that interesting as well. Ada was also never around for rehearsals.

I agree with most of your post but I think that Michael's weight shifting is probably as put-on as Gabby's twang (which, by the way, I finally listened for and didn't hear).  I loved Idina telling him to stop swaying.  

I thought Catie said her eyes were sweating.  

I don't mind Ada not being hauled out for every appearance.  She's a stage persona.  Like the stupid feather is part of for Cade.  And it must take an hour to do all that makeup and hair. 

We thought she looked better last night than usual but sounded worse.  Adam's weird sideburns were finally hidden and the wig was nice and lion-like and there appeared to be shapewear under the gown.  

44 minutes ago, sas616 said:

Seems Idol is morphing into the Voice with so much emphasis on the antics of the judges..well judge, I suppose since Katie is the real culprit.   Same with critiques.  Nothing of much substance on The Voice.  I figure once AI has its Top 10 and America begins to vote,  they figure there's not much need for critique since it really turns into a popularity contest at that point.   I have to say, I did not plan to watch the AI reboot, but have really enjoyed this season.   Much more than The Voice--I practically check out watching those episodes.   I like that most Idol contestants have little to no real experience and are raw talent.     

Well, they need to make a tv show and Katy's antics are attracting viewers, apparently.  Plus a lot of viewers need to hear the judges rubber stamp their own opinion.  

I quit The Voice years ago and am enjoying this much more, too.  I'm not sure what it is but the silly theme weeks is part of it, I think.  

1 hour ago, Tanichka said:

Jurnee - very pretty, but dull.

Yeah.  I love Idina Menzel but I think she did Jurnee a disservice when Jurnee said her performances lacked heart because she was too much in her head, and Menzel disagreed.  Jurnee does lack a connection or something.  She's gorgeous, sings beautifully, had a terrific song this week, but I felt nothing.  I felt more from the silly Toy Story song Caleb sang for his dog.  

The sound issues at the show opening were wild.  I couldn't hear Ryan much until they handed him a mic finally.  I have a lot of respect for live show hosts.  That's a lot of balls in the air. 

When he made a joke about Katy's prince appearing, I thought he was referring to Prince week next week, and asking if she was going to dress up as Prince for that like she did with Snow White for this, which I think is a funnier joke than the one they meant.  

(edited)
9 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

When Idina told him to stop swaying, I was thinking "I don't think he can", which is one of the reasons I think he's on the spectrum.

I can't be still when I sing, either, and I'm not autistic.  One possibility is that Michael comes from a lifetime of being in church, where the choir sways while they sing.  Also, some of just feel the music innately.   When I first heard Celtic music it stirred something primal in me.  Later down the line, genealogy confirmed my Irish roots.  Some of just have the music deep inside.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 2
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I agree with most of your post but I think that Michael's weight shifting is probably as put-on as Gabby's twang (which, by the way, I finally listened for and didn't hear).  I loved Idina telling him to stop swaying.  

Michael comes from a church background in which the choir sways while singing.  I'm pretty sure that's part of the reason he sways.  See post above.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 1

Good point.  It looks like that other singing show he was on had to chastise him for moving too much on stage, too.  Maybe it's also partly a nervous thing because he was doing it while talking to Ryan, too, about how hard it is for him to not move while singing.   My gut instinct is he took one little quirk and is playing it up a little to stand out and seem more adorkable. 

I think Caity does it, too.  I think they both need to be careful with it because viewers love adorkable but hate a phony.  Caity hiding from the mic backstage was probably honest but also something she could've overcome easily if she didn't think it was kind of cute to just 'be herself'.  I do think her 'to be honest, no, I don't think I can win' was cute, but the mic fear is getting kind of silly because she's done it twice now.  

1 minute ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

seem more adorkable. 

He IS adorkable.  That's for sure.  Also, I think the judges and powers that be adore him because they see him as moldable.  I don't know if you remember the Taylor Hicks situation, but he had lots of life experience, being an older contestant, and the management couldn't control him very well regarding how he was supposed to cooperate after the win.  He had his own ideas about recording, etc.  They went round and round, lol.

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, Nessie said:

I get it, a lot of people are uncomfortable with change. 

It isn't a matter of being "uncomfortable" with the latest AI format; it's a matter of DISLIKING it. There is a great deal of difference between the two attitudes.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

"[N]ot bad"? NOT BAD?!  Catie's voice was GORGEOUS! :-P

Bah to Disney songs, though, in general. Or maybe I should say, modern Disney songs, composed with an eye towards merchandising. Give me "Zip-a-dee Doo-dah" or "When You Wish Upon a Star" (both Academy Award winners)!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

He IS adorkable.  That's for sure.  Also, I think the judges and powers that be adore him because they see him as moldable.  I don't know if you remember the Taylor Hicks situation, but he had lots of life experience, being an older contestant, and the management couldn't control him very well regarding how he was supposed to cooperate after the win.  He had his own ideas about recording, etc.  They went round and round, lol.

Oh I agree.  I like him a lot, Caity, too.  I think they need to watch the quirk factor, though. 

I didn't watch Taylor's season.  But even the young ones can be difficult.  Phillip Phillips sued them.  

It makes me wonder how many of the winners who more or less faded away chose that over playing the game how these producers wanted them to.  The only idol album I ever bought was Adam's and I thought it was dreck and lost a little respect for him for it.  It worked out ok for him in the end, though.  

(edited)

I can understand Idol trying to be culturally relevant, however,  Michelle could have sang the most beautiful song in the world with the greatest voice ever, but if I can't understand the words, I will not vote for her.  If that makes me petty or not PC, I am guilty.   I think some of America would agree with me.  I have no issue with her wanting to sing Spanish.  Audition for Telemondo

The biggest advice I would give these contestants is "know your audience" if you want to win.   

Edited by txbowler837
add commnet
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, txbowler837 said:

I can understand Idol trying to be culturally relevant, however,  Michelle could have sang the most beautiful song in the world with the greatest voice ever, but if I can't understand the words, I will not vote for her.  If that makes me petty or not PC, I am guilty.   I think some of America would agree with me.  I have no issue with her wanting to sing Spanish.  Audition for Telemondo

The biggest advice I would give these contestants is "know your audience" if you want to win.   

Since her song was from “Coco,” a movie set in Mexico and based on the Mexican holiday of Dia de los Muertos, it was entirely appropriate for her to sing it in Spanish. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, lampwick said:

Most of the contestants, when asked which judge's comments they respected the most, said "Simon." 

Not saying she shouldn't have sung it in Spanish.  I am saying for her to win or at least advance without the help of the judges, she should have sung something that more of the audience would recognize.  Idol has done this before with bi-lingual singers.  I don't think it helps their case with the voters.  With spanish or mexican heritage voters, absolutely.  And I think that's is part of idols game.  The producers and judges think that it will attract more viewers.   

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Good point.  It looks like that other singing show he was on had to chastise him for moving too much on stage, too.  Maybe it's also partly a nervous thing because he was doing it while talking to Ryan, too, about how hard it is for him to not move while singing.   My gut instinct is he took one little quirk and is playing it up a little to stand out and seem more adorkable. 

I think Caity does it, too.  I think they both need to be careful with it because viewers love adorkable but hate a phony.  Caity hiding from the mic backstage was probably honest but also something she could've overcome easily if she didn't think it was kind of cute to just 'be herself'.  I do think her 'to be honest, no, I don't think I can win' was cute, but the mic fear is getting kind of silly because she's done it twice now.  

I have a feeling that Caity is avoiding the microphone because she had been reading negative comments about herself on the internet and doesn't want to give the haters more fodder.

I have a feeling that Caity is avoiding the microphone because she had been reading negative comments about herself on the internet and doesn't want to give the haters more fodder.

I mildly object to the use of the word "haters."  There is a lot for people to "hate" with Catie--she is a tough pill to swallow.  Quirky does not at all even get near it.  And the awful clothes. Guess I'm a hater?  Speaking of QUIRKY--Is Maddie getting at all on anyone's nerves a tiny bit?  She's a bit twee for my tastes.  I wonder if she can do anything but even tempered quirky type songs. I think Idina was right on the money with her advice to modulate her voice more--up and down in volume and intensity.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Wings said:

I agree.  His package showed he was a shy, awkward chubby kid.  His sister exclaimed how far he had come, for herself too.  She was also a chubby geek.  I don't think he accustomed to girls (and women) falling all over him.   He is only 21. 

He needs to do something about his posture before it is too late.  He juts his head forward and it is not a good look.  Probably a  result of being self conscious about his height when younger.  

OHMYGOD don’t let Katy hear you talking about Cade’s PACKAGE.

She has this weird, alert predatory look about her.  Lady, stop harassing the talent. You are embarrassing to watch and it’s crossing a line.

That Blake guy is useless. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

I mildly object to the use of the word "haters."  There is a lot for people to "hate" with Catie--she is a tough pill to swallow.  Quirky does not at all even get near it.  And the awful clothes. Guess I'm a hater?  Speaking of QUIRKY--Is Maddie getting at all on anyone's nerves a tiny bit?  She's a bit twee for my tastes.  I wonder if she can do anything but even tempered quirky type songs. I think Idina was right on the money with her advice to modulate her voice more--up and down in volume and intensity.

I agree. I think Maddie is guilty of being one note like Cade. At least Cade tried doing something differently this last time. Maddie may not win, but I think she'll get a career out of this, so it may not matter to her if she plays the game or not.