Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E15: Top 10 - Disney Night

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, TeeMo said:

I usually really, really dislike the "quirky" contestants on this show and by all accounts she should annoy the crap out of me but there is something about Catie I really like. It is so odd and very unlike me. She has a lovely voice.

She may have a nice voice but her clothes, odd behavior, and weird faces are a big turn off for me.  

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, SnarkAttack said:

Also, the yelling and clapping by the audience is annoying, I can't hear them sing when they do that!  The band again was overpowering.

Isn't all the noise so irritating?!  I guess it's an ABC thing because the first show that I can remember having so much audience participation was Dancing With the Stars.  Drove me nuts listening to all the constant 'spontaneous' screaming continually going on in the background while Tom tried to shout over it.  It's like they think we're too dumb to know if the show is good or not. I don't need a laugh track to tell me if a sitcom is funny and I don't need a fake screaming audience to tell me if a reality show is amazing or not.  Very distracting!  I wondered if I was the only one that this bothered.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Fannysue said:

She may have a nice voice but her clothes, odd behavior, and weird faces are a big turn off for me.  

Her dress tonight fit the Disney theme perfectly. She behaved normally. And I recall only normal facial expressions while she sang beautifully and effortlessly .

• Love 8

Cade: awful. Easily the worst of the night.

I actually liked his performance tonight. I looked the original Disney version up on You Tube and it made me understand and appreciate his performance more. His voice is so reminiscent of the 80's rocker and sounded very much like most of their rock ballad voices. Of course his voice isn't as good as most of the others. This has always been a show centered more on the pop, and to a lesser extent, country voices so theirs is always going to be more mainstream and focused on vocal ability. But in the rock world I can see him having a decent career.

My favorites tonight were Maddie and Caleb. I fully expect to see these two in the top 5 and possibly the winner. I can actually imagine them being played on the radio and I would buy their CD's. 

Count me in the Katie is OTT and embarrassing group. I really hope if AI is on next season they don't bring her back.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

I actually liked his performance tonight. I looked the original Disney version up on You Tube and it made me understand and appreciate his performance more. His voice is so reminiscent of the 80's rocker and sounded very much like most of their rock ballad voices. Of course his voice isn't as good as most of the others.

Me too, and I also went on You Tube to look at the original to compare and he did a great job IMHO. Yes, he is stuck in a time warp, but I’m in my 60s and I love it. I also like Maddie, Gabby, and Michael. This seasons winner, unlike other seasons, won’t be disappointing.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, AntAnn said:

Me too, and I also went on You Tube to look at the original to compare and he did a great job IMHO. Yes, he is stuck in a time warp, but I’m in my 60s and I love it. I also like Maddie, Gabby, and Michael. This seasons winner, unlike other seasons, won’t be disappointing.

I totally agree. I also believe of all the contestants left it will be hard to not like the eventually winner.

And I totally forgot to add Michael to my favorites tonight. His singing was a little shaky but he corrected and delivered a awesome performance. His body of work so far has been very impressive and he is so darn likable.

• Love 4

I feel like even though the judges don't get a say, AI can still have a "say" by the editing of the extra material they show and now because of the live voting by the singers placement. Dennis not only got the last spot but did anyone else notice how his story has changed since the start. We first had him as a young man whose dad was murdered and then was homeless and how love had saved him. He has a baby that had given him the push to chase his dreams. Then last week we hear he has another child back in PA he doesn't get to see. This week we find out he had not seen his daughter in over 2 years and show a clip of him seeing her for the first time in years and it was not very emotional. Compared to Jurnee getting who got a joyful renunion with her mom and we find out her wife is deployed somewhere dangerous. 

I would be very curious to see how the ratings are on the East coast vs west coast. It was certainly harder to watch live at 5 or 6 pm. Has it been confirmed that Ryan's schedule is the reason for the live voting? I can only hope that Idol could at least leave voting open for a few hours after the show and then tape the results and Ryan could take a red eye back to NY (Michael Straham used to do this with his football annoucing and football seasons are much longer then AI). 

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 6

According to ABC, Perry will sing "a timeless Disney song" in front of Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty castle, accompanied by the Top 10 singers! 

Katie singing a couple of lines with the Top 10 mutely walking by her side at the beginning was it?!  Well played, ABC marketing department. For singing that wee bit, two hours of Snow White cosplay, drinking from her shoe, and eating an apple, Katie Perry made over $1.3 million dollars tonight. Show business is whack.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Also: JHC the people in the pit in front of the stage need to have their f***ing hands zip-tied to their belt loops or something; the completely rhythmless arm-waving and off-beat clapping are driving me to Spaniel Rage.

All I could think of was how Adam Levine has yelled at, chastised and tried to educate the audience on The Voice on their off-rhythm clapping. I hate the arm waving and clapping..distracts from the performance

• Love 11

Because it must be noted:

For all of Simon's sometimes brutal assessments (e.g., "drunk uncle"), they at least WERE assessments. By eating an apple and speaking only of the Snow White story,  not offering even a meaningless "love you," ignoring his performance TOTALLY,  Katy to Dennis was the most disrespectful judge ever. 

Maybe TPTB demanded she be all about Di$ney no matter who sang last. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 19

So as I wrote on the last thread, I cannot stand Disney stuff so I went into this episode with low expectations of my enjoyment potential. But I have to say, there were a few for which I didn't have to turn the volumen down.

Maddie: Bare Necessities - I loved this version and that she did go up a few octaves and do a "semi-belt" on some verses.

Jurnee: How Far I’ll Go - I think she has the whole package even though her song was the kind of song that makes me hate Disney - reminds me of songs from musicals, which I hate with a passion. Maybe that is because it was a song from a musical...go figure. 

Cade: Kiss the Girl - Love Cade, but he doesn't have the best voice in the competition, but if you listen to rock, you'll already know that there are quite a few very successful rockers out there who do not possess the greatest voices out there.

Ada: Circle of Life - I thought "she" looked more "natural" (and I use that term loosely in reference to her) but her makeup was blended - not just stark lines and unblended geometrical shapes all over her face. Her voice was nice but again, a song style that is not my cup-o-tea. That type of music just bores me beyond bored. And I was very surprised to see her voted off with the way everything is so PC these days. I thought "she" would make it much further. But then again, people voting on their phones can vote however they  want because no PC police will call them out. But that explains why she has stayed when the judges were voting - they'd be called out on it if the world saw they passed "her" over. In other words, they could not be anonymous with the votes like the voting American audience can be.

Michelle: Remember Me - I've said it before and I'll say it again - there's already been a Selena and a JLo...Michelle is nothing new - I know neither of them is current any longer, but it's already been done very well - twice. Why do it again?

Gabby: Colors of the Wind - She did the kind of song I don't like too - and even if I did like musicals, her voice sounded horrible tonight. I think she is pretty good overall  although I think she is faker than a three dollar bill. She tries to present herself as this sweet country girl ala Carrie Underwood. But I think her Miranda Lambert cover a week or so ago was way better and she'd make a better "female country outlaw" type like Miranda than a Carrie Underwood. 

Michael: Beauty and the Beast - I think Michael has a beautiful voice but uses it on music I would fast forward through every time (not just on Disney night either). But that being said, I think he is probably one of the nices guys there.

Caleb: You’ve Got a Friend in Me - He is just so adorable with his self-deprecation.  He still thinks of himself as chunky and he has transformed himself but doesn't see it or let it go to his head. Just being himself. And that's not even taking into consideration his country voice - a real country voice - not this new country sound that passes as country these days to people who don't know REAL country  - Johnny Cash, George Jones, George STrait, etc. 

Catie: Once Upon a Dream - I think Catie has a beautiful voice. I think she is obnoxious as all get out but she's fun to watch (except for the tackle-hugs...can you say AWKWARD?) But tonight - the dress, the hair , the makeup and the "floaty movement with the dress & arms" - she nailed the whole ambiance of Disney - AND I LIKED IT! LOL

Dennis: Can You Feel the Love Tonight - Dennis has a very nice voice but I could not tell you one song he has sang all season - just very forgettable to me and I think that is because - and I know: broken record here (pun intended) - the style he usually sings is very similar to songs in musicals - my pet peeve, so like I said - forgettable.

• Love 6

These were probably the best performances of the season.  That means we'll likely get a Disney week next season, but that would have happened anyway because of ABC/Disney, so at least it worked.

I liked Maddie a lot, but I really want them to go back to voting after the show, so we can have the option of it not being a popularity contest.  From past weeks, Maddie is doing fine on both popularity and talent, so I'm happy for her.

I suspect Jurnee doing better moved her into to the top 7.

I like the idea of Idina Menzel doing anything (like, if there were an opening for a judge?) but this show is bad about hiring some great singers and then not having them sing.  Maybe they're saving that for the finale?

• Love 1

I was totally confused by the voting last night. Is AI trying to force us to download their app or what? I voted by text, and it was like they were trying to keep the contestants' numbers a secret. And then they were in no particular order. Madde was 10, and then they jumped all over the place from there. I watch on my DVR, so I was only able to vote for the earlier contestants.

I really hated the voting beforehand because it totally discounted the freakin' performances and made it a pure popularity contest. And one of the things I love most about Idol is that breakout, totally unexpected performance from someone who I didn't really care about before that makes me jump off the sofa, grab my phone, and vote. Shakin' my damn head.

And this is not the Katy Perry show or The Voice. I don't want some dipstick judge making it all about themselves. And I want actual critique when it is warranted, not a predictable love-fest that I just fast forward through. Not feeling the reboot at all.

• Love 10

So glad to be done with Ada. Michelle should have never made the top 10,

Yep and yep and once America got to vote they were as gone as they should have been from the start.  America done right for once.

Looks like Gabby is back to doing her own hair and picking her own clothing.  They were booth awful and didn't go with the song at all.  I thought she would be out tonight for a weak performance.

• Love 2

I found the voting odd, too.  Dennis didn’t have a chance!   They started the elimination right after he finished.  There was no time for him gather votes unless you started voting for him at the beginning of the show.  

Both Lionel and Luke have had it with Katie, too.  They can no longer disguise their fatigue.

Edited by Wings
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, incandescent said:

Gabby: Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas)
She needs to drop that damn fake twang. Like I can’t even form an opinion on her singing because I’m always too distracted by the fake accent.

This!  I cannot stand her.  Everything about her to me is fake, her accent, her hair, I didn't even buy the 'wonderful' relationship with her own sister.  Ugh. 

I FF through a lot of Idol last night so two questions......Gabby and Cade?  They are in a relationship?  Also, did Dennis say he had not seen his daughter since Christmas before last?

Count me in as feeling like Dennis got hosed having to go last.

Maddie hopefully will win this thing.

The makeup artists are incredible this season.  I wasn't a big Ada fan (Her style of music just isn't mine) but they did a fantastic job on her makeup.  

Katie looked beautiful as Snow White but I agree there is no judging it is all about Katie and those other two guys.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, yorklee2 said:

I actually liked his performance tonight. I looked the original Disney version up on You Tube and it made me understand and appreciate his performance more. His voice is so reminiscent of the 80's rocker and sounded very much like most of their rock ballad voices. Of course his voice isn't as good as most of the others. This has always been a show centered more on the pop, and to a lesser extent, country voices so theirs is always going to be more mainstream and focused on vocal ability. But in the rock world I can see him having a decent career.

The really good 80s rockers had better lead singer voices than Cade though.   When Luke said Cade can bring rock music back, it made me scratch my head.   He's not that strong a singer, or that charismatic of a person/artist to attract new fans to the genre

When Michael's gone, I'm gone from this show.   I'm not terribly interested in anyone else.  AI is making it quite it quite clear they have no intention of having a winner that will become a successful recording artist.  The voting structure and lack of any meaningful critique from judges is just leaving it as a popularity contest.    And AI should have learned from the past that the most "popular" AI winner doesn't translate to actual record sales, or an artist that will crossover into the mainstream music scene.  

• Love 6

I'll preface my comments by saying that I hate most Disney movies and most Disney songs, so this week was not pleasant for me for the most part.

Maddie - The Jungle Book is one of the very few Disney cartoons I like, and Bare Necessities is one of the few songs I like.  (Not the one I would've chosen myself, but a good one nonetheless.)  I enjoyed this performance.  I thought Maddie played with it enough to make it interesting, and her voice is probably my favorite of this season.

Jurnee -  I didn't know this song, but it was a bit belty ballad for me.  Jurnee sounded more connected to it, and it suited her voice very well.

Cade - My first thought on this one was "Oh my!" said in my best George Takei voice.  I hate The Little Mermaid and I hate Kiss the Girl, but Cade made it sexy for me.  The song was almost unrecognizable, which for me was a good thing.  I will accept that I'm probably not completely impartial about Cade because I like the growly rock voice almost as much as I like Maddie's voice.

Ada - This was the best Ada has looked all competition long, but vocally it was not on point, and was sharp in the high sections at the end.  Obviously the more nuanced Ada of Creep was a fluke.

Michelle - Her vocal affectations at the beginning were almost as annoying as the song itself.  Otherwise she sounded okay but nothing special.

Gabby - She showed some restraint in parts, but her voice was all over the place as far as hitting the actual notes was concerned.

Michael - I missed most of his performance and didn't recognize the song - again, for me a good thing.  He sounded fine, not particularly great but not bad either.  I still like him, though this wasn't his best.

Caleb - This was the perfect song for him.  It's not a complicated one, but it showed off the rich tone of his voice.  I really loved his lower register.

Catie - This is one of the Disney songs I really, really hate with the passion of a thousand burning nuns.  But Catie's voice sounded wonderful on it, and there wasn't a single bad note to be heard.  Best performance of the night.  And it looks like she's toning down the personality just a bit.

Dennis - Of the two well-known Lion King songs, this is the less awful one, so it was a good choice for Dennis.  And he sounded terrific on it.  It showed off his range very well, and he seemed connected emotionally.

Of the Top 7 vote-getters, I'd have substituted Dennis for Gabby, but otherwise I think the voters got it right.

Edited to note that I found the judges' to be utterly useless.  Why even have them if they're not going to actually judge the performances?  And Katy needs to stop making everything all about her.  That crap after Cade's performance was embarrassing; you could see how desperate he was to make it stop.

Edited by proserpina65
Because I always spell Bare Necessities as "Bear Necessities"
  • Love 3

This is a reality show brought back to make money with no agenda to make a star.  I knew this going in so I am rolling with it.  Not saying the judging doesn’t irritate the fuck out of me though.  There is an agenda as to who they want in F4 and that will be clear on the next show’s order, if it isn’t already.

My guess Cade, Maddie, Catie and  Michael.  

• Love 7
13 hours ago, zoemom said:

Found it interesting that when he and his significant other were at Disney, Ada was nowhere to be found.

I think that's because Ada is simply Adam's performing identity, like with real drag queens, it's not who they are all the time.

• Love 10

That Cade thing sounded like Bon Jovi.  I don’t know if that’s a good thing.  It sounded pretty dated.

Speaking of dated, Adam dressed like a 62 yo circa 1985.  Kid.  This isn’t drag!  It’s just fucking embarrassing.    It was a schtick.  Now he’s pigeonholed, and he’s terrible at what he’s been pigeon holed with.  I blame the idiot judges for not giving him a heads up.  That was some lame shit.

Jurnee looked gorgeous in chain mail or whatever, but was boring.  Maybe she just needs a few more years of living to get into it.

i went to bed early.  Disney is for kids, IMO. I quit going at 17. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, TeeMo said:

It's unfortunate that this show has now become the Katy Perry Comedy Hour. She didn't even pretend to have anything to say to Dennis about his performance because she needed to make sure she had time to get in her bit about the apple. I wanted to throw something at the TV. 

The results were not all that surprising but I was hoping Dennis would get a spot over either Cade, Gabby or Jurnee but I am not that upset about it. I've already accepted that Cade will be the one who overstays his welcome and sends home other people I like much more this season. 

I usually really, really dislike the "quirky" contestants on this show and by all accounts she should annoy the crap out of me but there is something about Catie I really like. It is so odd and very unlike me. She has a lovely voice. 

Same here.  Catie is being her genuine self and humble. She is not acting or pushing quirky.  I sense she is an outsider in her life but not allowing that to drive her train.  I like her. 

Katie Perry is the irritant this season.  Well, all the judges are. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, zoemom said:

Yes, sadly it has come to being a popularity contest.   I couldn't believe when Ryan announced that there were one million votes already (in the middle of the show).  I remember (back in the early days of AI) watching the show with my mom and "calling in" our votes.  I don't like the abbreviated version that AI has become, especially the way contestants are "selected" to move on.  It's kind of a joke........  

It's been a popularity contest for years.  It's just more blatant with this format.  I do feel sorry for whomever goes last.  That's not a lot of time to change anyone's mind, no matter how terrific the performance.  They should've done the eliminations at the beginning of the next week's show like they did the last couple of seasons on FOX.

10 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Her dress tonight fit the Disney theme perfectly. She behaved normally. And I recall only normal facial expressions while she sang beautifully and effortlessly .

On stage she was fine, but in her pre-performance tape, she was still OTT, if not quite as much so.  And whatever she was wearing during the mentoring session with Idina Menzel was laughable.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

That Cade thing sounded like Bon Jovi.  I don’t know if that’s a good thing.  It sounded pretty dated.

Speaking of dated, Adam dressed like a 62 yo circa 1985.  Kid.  This isn’t drag!  It’s just fucking embarrassing.    It was a schtick.  Now he’s pigeonholed, and he’s terrible at what he’s been pigeon holed with.  I blame the idiot judges for not giving him a heads up.  That was some lame shit.

Jurnee looked gorgeous in chain mail or whatever, but was boring.  Maybe she just needs a few more years of living to get into it.

i went to bed early.  Disney is for kids, IMO. I quit going at 17. 

Drag queens are not known for quiet good taste.   Drag IS Schlick.  He can now be a headliner in a drag show!   This has served him well.  ;>

Edited by Wings
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, Wings said:

There is an agenda as to who they want in F4 and that will be clear on the next show’s order, if it isn’t already.

It's going to be 5 after next week, and then 3 for the finale. I would bet that 'they' would really like to have a minority in the finale, but I don't think 'they' will get it. 

I give Cade credit for paying attention to everyone who suggested 'Kiss the Girl' and for finding a good arrangement. However, vocally, he makes 'Off Key' Lee DeWyze sound like Adam Lambert. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I wonder how popular the show was on the West Coast in the dinner hour timeslot.

I'm lucky I saw the reminder on FB or I never would have watched. But my family and I really enjoyed it. We threw together a quick salad, ordered some pizza, voted our fingers off, and went to bed early! In general, 'Murica got it right - and hasn't changed their mind from last week. But, I wish Dennis had received Jurnee's spot. My whole family thought she was the worst of the night. Going last is NOT a benefit on that format - in fact I think it's a death warrant and I want this format nixed post-haste.

I sincerely hope we go back the "one contestant leaving at a time unless a save has been used rule" next year, otherwise Seacrest might not be the only one who's out. 

• Love 2
Just now, sempervivum said:

It's going to be 5 after next week, and then 3 for the finale. I would bet that 'they' would really like to have a minority in the finale, but I don't think 'they' will get it. 

I give Cade credit for paying attention to everyone who suggested 'Kiss the Girl' and for finding a good arrangement. However, vocally, he makes 'Off Key' Lee DeWyze sound like Adam Lambert. 

Ah yes.  I forgot this was speed AI.  Maddie and Cade will be there.  The third is a wild guess....Catie?  Michael?  I wonder where Cade falls in the vote tally.  I am not buying that he is at the top. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, TeeMo said:

I've already accepted that Cade will be the one who overstays his welcome and sends home other people I like much more this season.  

I am completely dumbfounded in what people see in this guy.  He doesn't have a great voice, he's not that good looking and his personality is forgettable.  I can't see it ending well if he wins.  His throwback '90's sound is going to be very tough to market.

• Love 12

I can't help but wonder if the "Cade-and-Gabby" reveal was made to actually deter votes for one or the other (or maybe both)? Girls (of any age) with crushes on Cade who are power-voting might lose some interest if he's already "sorry, girls, he's taken" and if they were also voting for Gabby this might dissuade them.

Or maybe that's wishful thinking since I don't think either one deserves to be in T2 (I'm still M&M, Michael and Maddie). 

Surprised no one did "Baby Mine." Thought Maddie would have crushed that. And I already miss Marcio. 

• Love 5

I've been firmly on the Caleb, Maddie and Dennis train but I have to say Catie blew me away last night.   Her song choice was perfect for her and boy did she deliver.   My husband has avoided watching this show with me by whatever means possible but when he heard her singing he came out of wherever he was hiding to listen to her.  

I was so disappointed that Dennis didn't get chosen.   If it were up to me (if only!) I'd have chosen him and Jurnee would be journeying home.    Hopefully some record producer out there realizes Dennis has great potential and will sign him up. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, AnnieHeights said:

Count me in as feeling like Dennis got hosed having to go last.

I like Dennis.  However, someone had to go last.  I'm not sure how placement was determined, but either way,  you could vote for your favorites starting at the beginning of the show before their turn to sing came up.  

I think those who vote 30 times probably drive the results and if you're doing that, you're probably cued up to do so in about 2 minutes flat, IF you even bother waiting to hear them all sing.  Plus Dennis was low vote getter last week of these 10, so maybe that earned him the last slot?  Some might argue that's the best slot.  His performance is fresh in the minds of those who wait to vote.  That's why it's been called the pimp slot previously.  I just am not sure the shorter window matters much?  

And I don't know if anyone is voting for Cade for looks reasons.  He doesn't appeal to me (50+) or my teen (18).  She likes Caity.  I like Caleb and Maddie.  

This show's new format sucks ass. The 'judges' suck, or should I say suck UP, I'm not sure to whom, Ryan perhaps, so they wont get fired? Between the overdone plastic surgery that is Lionel Ritchie, and that Mr. Generic Country Dude, neither of them say ANYthing that is close to resembling critical thinking or constructive criticism. And that idiot, Katy Perry, is beyond grating. She makes every damn comment about her, not the contestants. She's always mugging and playing for the camera like she's playing some prescribed script that was written for her. Her stupid goddamn facial expressions. Her stupid comments. Her stupid outfits. She is a moron and offers nothing positive to this show, IMO. And that's not even taking into account the abysmal quality of contestants this season. They all pretty much suck from what I've heard so far. None deserve to be in the Top 10.

I'm also wondering if the show's getting shitty ratings and that's why they're dumping three people at a time in one episode. In it's glory days, they strung out the vote outs over 2-3 episodes over one week, now we get a Top 10 and in insipid Disney themed caterwaul-off, and let's dump three of them quick. They should have left this show dead and buried if you ask me. It's just not working, and really hasn't since the Simon/Paula/Randy days.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, AnnieHeights said:

Gabby and Cade?  They are in a relationship?

Water seeks its own level.  My wish is to have them both eliminated together and they can ride off into the sunset, but I know that's not going to happen.  Cade is this season's WGWG, so it's all over but the crying.  By me.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I'm also wondering if the show's getting shitty ratings and that's why they're dumping three people at a time in one episode

The season was pre-planned to go this way.  Next season will have more episodes, from what I've read.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I'm also wondering if the show's getting shitty ratings and that's why they're dumping three people at a time in one episode. In it's glory days, they strung out the vote outs over 2-3 episodes over one week, now we get a Top 10 and in insipid Disney themed caterwaul-off, and let's dump three of them quick.

From what I read, the ratings are good on Sundays, and the Monday shows were neck and neck with the Voice.

The abbreviated season was announced from the beginning, and I assume that had to do with ABC hedging it's bet (not knowing how AI would go over on a non-Fox audience, new night, new judges, etc).  Rumor has it that it has been renewed and will be longer next year. 

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Maddie and Cade will be there.  The third is a wild guess....Catie?  Michael?

Cade, yes, and Caleb (who will win). Plus a random female; I've been sure it would be Gabby, but maybe not.

• Love 3

I can remember back to Carrie Underwood's season and this board would be trying to bury her.  Yet when X-Factor US tried showing the vote totals, someone asked Nygel (exec producer) of the old show why they didn't do that?  He replied because it would kill the show and give Carrie by example.  He said she won every week by a huge margin and no one else had a chance.  

Even when you read the posts on tonight, they are all over the place.  Some love Cade, some don't.  Some like Gaby, some don't.  I have yet to read a negative post on Maddie so maybe that's a clue how popular she is.

My favs have been Gaby, Cade, Maddie and Michael.  Catie is growing on me, she has a nice voice.  I am a more main stream radio guy (pop and country) so I doubt I'd ever hear a song of Maddie's on the radio.  The quirks of Michael and Catie to me say they don't have the total package.  I hope all of them have a good career in music should they chose, but for national superstar, I can only see Gabby or Cade pulling that off.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

Cade - I remember Chris Daughtry and Bo Bice.  You, sir, are no Chris Daughtry or Bo Bice.

To me, this is a good thing.  I love Chris and Bo, but we don't need another one of either, and I'm pretty sure Cade doesn't want to be either one (although I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind Chris' career).  And honestly, he doesn't remind me of either...maybe Bo a little with the long hair and Southern rocker thing, but that's it.

4 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I was totally confused by the voting last night. Is AI trying to force us to download their app or what? I voted by text, and it was like they were trying to keep the contestants' numbers a secret. And then they were in no particular order. Madde was 10, and then they jumped all over the place from there. I watch on my DVR, so I was only able to vote for the earlier contestants.

I really hated the voting beforehand because it totally discounted the freakin' performances and made it a pure popularity contest. And one of the things I love most about Idol is that breakout, totally unexpected performance from someone who I didn't really care about before that makes me jump off the sofa, grab my phone, and vote. Shakin' my damn head.

I really doubt any but the most casual fan voted based on performances in the past, at least after a couple of weeks.  I mean, I might have thrown a vote or two to someone I thought gave a great performance, but I had to weigh it against if I thought that might hurt my favorite.  So in a way, to me, this is more fair, because the max I can give someone is 10 votes (per method, I guess, but I only use my laptop so I don't have to download their stupid app and I'm not going to waste my time texting), whereas before, I could vote hundreds of times if I cared to.  

As far as I can tell, everyone has the same window to vote, so I'm not sure where this "x had less time" comes from (not that you said this, but I've heard it).  If someone had a great performance last night that you weren't planning on voting for, you could change your votes up until the last commercial break.  So, for example, even if I only voted for Maddie, and submitted my votes, but then LOVED what Dennis did and wanted to give him some votes, I could, as long as the window hadn't closed.  Not to be harsh, but the only thing the show is "forcing" on you is watching somewhat in real time...it's not their fault if you choose not to.

I kind of appreciate that the show has given up the pretense that people vote based on performances, and are willing to admit that people will vote for their faves without even hearing them.  It's kind of refreshing.

Oh, and about the contestants numbers, I noticed they went from 1 - 14, so it looks like they all got numbers at top 14, and they are just going to keep the same numbers throughout the competition.

1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

I don't know about that...the love for Michael is strong.

Finally, and I forgot to mention this earlier, when Katy was doing her "bit" with the apple, and said something to the effect of "she said it'd make the end result feel much better", and Dennis replied with "Hopefully that's true", was I the only one who took it as him saying that hopefully she'd die for making his critique all about herself?  I had to throw him extra votes after that...LOL

• Love 3
6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Because it must be noted:

For all of Simon's sometimes brutal assessments (e.g., "drunk uncle"), they at least WERE assessments. By eating an apple and speaking only of the Snow White story,  not offering even a meaningless "love you," ignoring his performance TOTALLY,  Katy to Dennis was the most disrespectful judge ever. 

Maybe TPTB demanded she be all about Di$ney no matter who sang last. 

It was rude and she was over playing the Disney plot devices on a night the network decided to do self promotion since both Disney and ABC are the same company.

Still find myself watching more and more and the Voice less and less.

Country guy seemed consistent with his style.

I'd like to see Voice contestants forced to sing using the same theme or style and see what happens.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Wings said:

Same here.  Catie is being her genuine self and humble. She is not acting or pushing quirky.  I sense she is an outsider in her life but not allowing that to drive her train.  I like her. 

Katie Perry is the irritant this season.  Well, all the judges are. 

I agree about Catie.  The other contestants seem to really like her and I noticed that when each of them finished their performance and went backstage she was the first one they ran to for a hug. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, txbowler837 said:

I can remember back to Carrie Underwood's season and this board would be trying to bury her.  Yet when X-Factor US tried showing the vote totals, someone asked Nygel (exec producer) of the old show why they didn't do that?  He replied because it would kill the show and give Carrie by example.  He said she won every week by a huge margin and no one else had a chance.  

Nygel also stated that Clay led the voting in Season 2 but thanks to crowded phone lines, he still came in #2...at least on the show but he sure made the best of it with touring and selling records! I can't think of another act that I would have gone to 4 shows in a weekend and driving across South Florida to do it! My son asked why I would see the same show 4 nights in a row and I said because they weren't the same...ever! Plus we had the Clack House and listened to all the concerts we couldn't attend thanks to the wonderful Clay fans who would do cellcerts! Now those were the days. I cannot see that ever happening again.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Nessie said:

Finally, and I forgot to mention this earlier, when Katy was doing her "bit" with the apple, and said something to the effect of "she said it'd make the end result feel much better", and Dennis replied with "Hopefully that's true", was I the only one who took it as him saying that hopefully she'd die for making his critique all about herself?

The witch ('strange lady in a hat met backstage') was saying that eating the apple, ie death by poison, would relieve Katy of having to deal with the bad feeling of 3 good people being rejected. Not a very clear comment, and I'm not surprised Dennis didn't really understand it.

• Love 1

Edited to note that I found the judges' to be utterly useless.  Why even have them if they're not going to actually judge the performances? 

Absolutely right, IMO.  So tired of the slavish devotion.  And they use too many words, and seem to have trouble finding them.  Didn't particularly care for Harry Connick but really enjoyed his technical comments when he judged contestants.  We can take it and understand it American Idol, give us more interesting and pertinent (for us and the contestants) commentary.  

• Love 7

Can someone give me Dennis's background and why he had not seen his daughter in so long? I did not watch the show this season until the top 10 reveal show.

I like Michael.....I think it would be awesome for someone like him to win. Imagine the confidence he would get. Anything interesting in his background story?

1 hour ago, Nessie said:

As far as I can tell, everyone has the same window to vote, so I'm not sure where this "x had less time" comes from (not that you said this, but I've heard it).  If someone had a great performance last night that you weren't planning on voting for, you could change your votes up until the last commercial break.  So, for example, even if I only voted for Maddie, and submitted my votes, but then LOVED what Dennis did and wanted to give him some votes, I could, as long as the window hadn't closed. 

Well, many people, perhaps even most people, are uncomfortable voting based on performances they haven't heard yet.  Say you voted for Gabby and then discovered that she was singing a crap-ass song (I'm sorry, but that "blue corn moon" lyric still works my last nerve) AND she sang it really poorly, too whispery and shaky, are you going to rush to switch your votes to Dennis even though he might be equally poor, for all you know?  Or are you going to wait until you actually hear Dennis sing "Can You Feel My Crotch Tonight?"* and then who knows, maybe the dryer goes off and you never get a chance to switch the votes at all?  "Blind" voting isn't a universal preference.  Yet people were forced to vote more blindly for Dennis than they were for Maddie.  Which sucked for Dennis, I thought.

(*-yes, I'm 12.)

Not to be harsh, but the only thing the show is "forcing" on you is watching somewhat in real time...it's not their fault if you choose not to.

They disadvantaged the entire Western half of the country by forcing them to vote before 7pm local time.  What if there was somebody with a regional fan base that was disenfranchised?  I mean, if you don't count Dennis's car as "L.A." when the rest of his story was "Philadelphia", the farthest-west of the remaining contestants was Adam (San Antonio), so this might not have been an issue, but it's easy to imagine this format harming some modern-day Jasmine Trias, waiting for the Hawai'i vote that would get choked off.

As for actual critique, Maddie was better styled than she has been, but I still could have done without the vinyl skirt. I refuse to drink the hater-Cade, as I thought he killed what was originally a very silly song and was easily the best of the night.  (And Bon Jovi and their 100,000,000 records sold and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame fan vote-in say "hi".  Not my personal choice [shallow songwriting, partially outsourced], but hard to argue with that much success.)  Caleb did a nice job countrifying the Randy Newman, and I continue to find Jurnee painfully boring.

And at least Ada/m is gone.  (And really, Roland?  ONE of you couldn't have skipped the man-bun?  Go for some contrast, dude.  Sigh.)

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, vast wasteland said:

So tired of the slavish devotion. 

I'm surprised to hear so many comments along this line.  I've been fast-forwarding reality TV judging commentary almost entirely since Simon left, on all shows.  It's always the same 'blow smoke up their asses and applaud our genius star-finding skills'.  The Voice is terrible this way.  There is often a tiny bit of specific advice on something but it's not worth sitting through the effusive rabble.  

And the times they do damn someone with faint praise, which is as close to negative feedback as anyone gets, are almost invariably the performances I like, and it annoys me.