Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Drenching Dallas

I was glad to see karma come back to bite Jack with the job/Miles thing.  

The revenge brainstorming session was a good way to end the ep IMO, it seems that Jack has had more of an impact on those kids than he originally realized/intended, and his face lit up as he realized this.  

Love that Heather is kind of a twisted evil genius behind those jumpers and Coke bottle glasses--her obvious glee at hatching the plans to have Miles deported and humiliate Dallas, was one of the funniest parts of the ep for me.    

This show has grown on me throughout the (too short) season, I hope there will be a second. 

• Love 1

If this was the series finale (as seems likely), then it wasn't a bad way to go. Jack is an unrepentant asshole (yet he made me laugh) and his revenge schemes ultimately cost him his dream job. As one of the kids pointed out, it was Shakespearean.

I felt sorry for Miles at the end, because ultimately it was one of Jack's schemes that caused his ruin. I would have preferred if it had been Miles's own actions that caused his fall. 

If there were any teachers the parents should complain about, it's the three morons who suck all the life out of the show whenever they're on. Durbin and Helen were OK, but giving B plots to the lady teachers was a huge mistake from the start. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, reallyjustjen said:

I was glad to see karma come back to bite Jack with the job/Miles thing.  

The revenge brainstorming session was a good way to end the ep IMO, it seems that Jack has had more of an impact on those kids than he originally realized/intended, and his face lit up as he realized this.  

It wasn't how I thought it was going to go but still a great finale. I enjoyed that Jack brought is downfall on himself but in the end didn't seem too upset. I enjoyed even Sarika giving up and joining in. 

It's a crazy theme but that Sadie Hawkins dance did look good. I did feel bad for the guy who got the pig's blood. I don't think we were supposed to have a problem with him, right?

I love that Jack's schemes destroyed his own goals. And while Miles may be out of his job, he's recovered nicely thanks to Oprah so he's probably not any worse off than he was before.

I loved Heather's chalkboard drawings of Miles with the Union Jack and "Cheerio!" and "Bloody hell!"

Even though Jack is clearly selfish, I enjoyed the fact that even after telling the class he couldn't be involved with their scheme (as if Stanford would find out he helped them plan their revenge), he still couldn't resist telling them to steal his faculty master key.

Maybe my high school was different from this one, but in my four years, no one from band was ever homecoming or prom king/queen. It was usually kids who were very involved in sports and student government. We did have one girl who used to be in band in middle school (she was first chair flute in eighth grade) who was on homecoming court her freshman year, but I'm pretty sure being nominated had more to do with the fact that she was a cheerleader, on the softball team, and in student government.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Maybe my high school was different from this one, but in my four years, no one from band was ever homecoming or prom king/queen. It was usually kids who were very involved in sports and student government.

I thought the AP Bio kids rigged the election so Dallas would win.

• Love 3
On 5/3/2018 at 10:58 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Durbin and Helen were OK, but giving B plots to the lady teachers was a huge mistake from the start. 

I've thought that from the beginning and it seems to be the general consensus that the classroom scenes were gold, Patton Oswalt was good, and almost everything with the other teachers was eminently skippable. I wonder why this wasn't obvious to the creators? Even if there were concerns about the younger actors I would think it would have been possible to change the ratio by the later episodes.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, wknt3 said:

almost everything with the other teachers was eminently skippable. I wonder why this wasn't obvious to the creators? Even if there were concerns about the younger actors I would think it would have been possible to change the ratio by the later episodes.

I think the actors playing the students weren't actual teenagers, so I would think work-school rules didn't apply. 

I binge watched the show over the weekend and enjoyed it.  I watched mostly for Glenn Howerton, being a fan of Its always sunny, and he is the star of the show, of course. 

Agree the three other teachers don't add much. 

Not exactly a good example to be setting for the kids, but at least is helping them in weird ways. 

It reminds me a bit of Community, the cool deceiving person who has lost their job trying to get it back while helping out a group he wouldn't normally interact with

Also I find it funny Jack is basically the complete opposite of Chidi on The Good Place, another philosopher on TV. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I binge watched the show over the weekend and enjoyed it.  I watched mostly for Glenn Howerton, being a fan of Its always sunny, and he is the star of the show, of course. 

Not exactly a good example to be setting for the kids, but at least is helping them in weird ways. 

It reminds me a bit of Community, the cool deceiving person who has lost their job trying to get it back while helping out a group he wouldn't normally interact with

Also I find it funny Jack is basically the complete opposite of Chidi on The Good Place, another philosopher on TV. 

Those are some good compare/contrast points. I don't think this show is nearly as good as Community or The Good Place, but it's interesting thinking of characters from all of them in relation with each other.

The main thing bringing down this show was the unrelated other teachers B-plots. I won't be terribly disappointed if the show isn't renewed, but I think it has elements with potential to be a good show.

On 5/4/2018 at 5:03 PM, K-9 said:

Turns out that Miles was genuinely trying to help Jack obtain that position at Stanford.   

I really thought (up until the mention that Miles actually went on Oprah) that Miles was pranking Jack. I was willing to overlook the part where apparently Stanford hires faculty based on one recommendation (disregarding whatever black mark got Jack fired and exiled to teaching high school in the first place) and no interviews, but the way Miles and Dean Richardson were laughing hysterically at nothing on the first call was very suspicious, and I thought Miles was slightly smiling on the second call when he said to Jack "I've tainted you bad." Even despite Oprah I am still hoping that season 2 will reveal that the job offer was never real in the first place.

On 5/7/2018 at 10:09 AM, DrSpaceman said:

At first I didn't get the other teachers, and I still think they are not integrated into the student-related stories enough, but I have actually liked them since the episode where Jack went to the bar with them. I like the fact that they are pretty supportive of Durbin (and the way he brought them around to the Congo theme for the dance was funny), and they add little different flavours of quirkiness that I appreciate. I particularly like the way Mary and Stef are so close and then Michelle is slightly outside that relationship. I wouldn't want to lose them, just maybe adjust the balance and have a reason for students to interact with them in a way that seems logical in the A. P. Bio world.

• Love 3