Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E21: Docket No. 11-19-41-73

• Start Topic

This episode was a lot better than recent episodes.

Tommy!

tumblr_p86tkolSSo1tyr2z8o1_540.gif

I mean Colin Donnell playing Chris playing Tommy was just awesome to see. I really loved how snarky he was. I died when he was like, "if it is any consolation my team will rescue me before I get there" or something like that.  I wish our GA would be that snarky sometimes. 

I really liked hearing that Diggle and Oliver were talked and that Diggle was doing everything he can to help Oliver. I love my OTA family and I hope we get more moments between them as we advanced toward the season finale. 

I liked that Raisa knew it all a long. She probably knew it since season 1. Just saying.

I honestly didn't understand how Dinah couldn't lie on the stand. Like she is a Detective who has had experiences going undercover and she suddenly couldn't come up with a clever way to lie or turn the question around on the lawyer?  Girl just go back to smouldering and stfu forever. 

They tried to redeem Rene but it is a little to late now. Below was my face whenever he was onscreen. Nothing will make me like him. He is done in my book. 

tumblr_ml3w2tc1BN1rlqxudo1_250.gif

Matter of fact, everyone on NTA can kick rocks and I wouldn't care. 

4M3rR_s-200x150.gif

Diaz. Diaz. Diaz. You is stupid. You is lazy. You is never gonna be important. 

Honestly, if Diaz knew about Chris then why didn't he listen to the guy telling him it was not him? So stupid. 

LL2 was there. She was usual for like a minute and then nothing. So, the usual with her. 

Anyways, Olicity was everything. I hope the Queen family gets some happy moment before everything blows about again. Seriously, Oliver's face when he was hugging Felicity and William killed me. The guy just needs a break. 

tumblr_p87l0qDHES1sih5kxo5_1280.gif

I love how Felicity went there and just basically stayed on topic. I mean she said that comment about getting dirt on her but I think that was more foreshadowing than anything to with not staying on topic. 

All in all, a better episode than I expected to be honest. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, TwistedandBored said:

I honestly didn't understand how Dinah couldn't lie on the stand. Like she is a Detective who has had experiences going undercover and she suddenly couldn't come up with a clever way to lie or turn the question around on the lawyer?  Girl just go back to smouldering and stfu forever. 

Dinah did lie on the stand! She sat there and lied for 15 minutes straight. And then suddenly she pleaded the fifth? Why didn't she just keep lying?

Even with the 'everyone is corrupt' thing, this trial should have been less infuriating than it was.

• Love 7

Yeah, why couldn't Dinah lie and say she didn't kill that guy?  She's already up for perjury so why would denying she killed a man be the line she couldn't cross?  

• Love 7
20 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

Dinah did lie on the stand! She sat there and lied for 15 minutes straight. And then suddenly she pleaded the fifth? Why didn't she just keep lying?

Even with the 'everyone is corrupt' thing, this trial should have been less infuriating than it was.

That is what I didn't get. Why couldn't she continue to lie and just say she didn't kill anyone. The lady was literally calling her a murderer and she didn't even defend herself. I know the city is corrupted now but didn't she think people will look on this trial and see she basically admitted to murdering someone? The whole thing was just weird. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Overall, that was much more entertaining than what I was expecting, mainly thanks to the Human Target bits.  Still, I had to laugh at Ollie trying to explain to poor Myson that he might have to go to jail because the judge and jurors were probably in the bag for Diaz- instead of the fact that he is, you know, actually guilty.  Hey dummy, you know all those things they accused you of doing?  You did all that!  And you and your pals just spent the entire trial weaseling out of it all by committing perjury, probably fraud against the court (fake Tommy/Judge), potentially witness tampering (Laurel 2.0), maybe even evidence tampering (I still don't buy that "the photo was a fake" BS)... did I miss anything?  Seriously dude - Hydra Mom had you dead to rights.  If I was her, I'd be friggin incensed that I had to jump through all that garbage to convict an obviously guilty defendant, only to have the verdict tossed by a judge who shortly wound up dead.  (Also, they went to all the trouble to name her "Van Owen"- I hope Susan Dey got at least a courtesy call from casting...)

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Love 2

Oliver may have been guilty but the case the prosecution put together was crap and had Diaz not had everyone in his pocket, there would have been at the very least reasonable doubt and they couldn't have been able to convict. 

Plus going after Oliver but ignoring all the other vigilantes makes no sense either.  And Dianz is evil and if Oliver is in jail, then Diaz wins.  So while Oliver and Co broke the rules, the whole court case was corrupt and rigged so he wouldn't have a chance anyway which means that Oliver could talk to his son and say hey, we tried everything we could do to beat the case, but it's out of our hands. 

William already knows Oliver is guilty but everyone involved has decided a long time ago that they ARE above the law, at least a law that has been this ineffectual and corrupted.  Oliver preparing Willaim for him losing wasn't about him being guilty or innocent but about them not being able to get out of it this time.  Until they did. 

There's probably a case that could have been made that the city of Star City had accepted the GA and the Arrow and even the hood before him as someone sanctioned by the city like the police or the firemen.  Every time there has been a crisis, they looked to him to solve it.  They let him do his thing and no one tried to stop him from stopping Slade or DD or saving them from Cayden James's city wide bomb.  That was kind of what Jean Loring was getting at with the jury nullification I think.  So while again, Oliver IS the GA, had Diaz not corrupted everything, Oliver could have beaten the charges.  Even Rene being called to testify, the thing that got Oliver indicted in the first place, only happened because the bad guys were trying to interfere with the system.        

• Love 7
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:

If I was her, I'd be friggin incensed that I had to jump through all that garbage to convict an obviously guilty defendant, only to have the verdict tossed by a judge who shortly wound up dead.

Ha, to be fair, the other side is being pushed by a mobster who illegally arrested Oliver, planted fake evidence (as unexplained as it was, it's at least implied that Diaz faked the photo and even killed an innocent kid just to fake evidence), was involved in killing cops and officials, threatened the judge/police/DA/whatever, threatened a witness, kidnapped/beat/threatened another possible witness, and many other illegal things on the side. Basically, if this was a regular case set by Watson then yes, it could have been a slam dunk. In this case, the actual case should have been thrown out a looooooooooong time ago. Diaz completely fudged the system.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 3
(edited)

Heh- touché. Although, that is more or less what I meant by "all that garbage."  And, I would still say that's not exactly this DA's fault- she's not corrupt (at least that's the impression I got), and the evidence she does have points to the (correct) conclusion that Ollie is the GA.

That was kind of what Jean Loring was getting at with the jury nullification I think.

The more I think about it, I kind of wish they would have gone this way- it definitely would have given them an interesting new direction going forward. 

Edited by Chyromaniac
12 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:

And, I would still say that's not exactly this DA's fault- she's not corrupt (at least that's the impression I got), and the evidence she does have points to the (correct) conclusion that Ollie is the GA.

Oh yeah, I don't necessarily blame the lawyer. I just don't think she technically deserves points or a win just because she's technically right. It's basically as if cops beat up a suspect after planting fake evidence of drugs. Even if the suspect is guilty of something, the whole case is basically nulled since they broke a whole bunch of rules to get there.

16 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:

kind of wish they would have gone this way- it definitely would have given them an interesting new direction going forward. 

Same, especially since they kind of set it up with the vigilante vote back in 6a. I don't ultimately mind since I actually really liked this episode, but I did really like the twist of the referendum back in 6a, and it would have been cool to have it come back, as if to show that the stigma that Cayden planted back in 607 was gone even if the teams were completely separate.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

The more I think about it, I kind of wish they would have gone this way- it definitely would have given them an interesting new direction going forward. 

I'm of the mind that outing Oliver to the public ala Iron Man is always a terrible idea. Even if they have the bad guys know their real identity like with Diaz, having his secret out there means making an opportunity for any random yahoo to come at any one of them. Tony Stark got away with it because he had security on his loved ones and he himself was a form of security.  But Felicity and William and any friends they have wouldn't have that.  So it's just dumb to not do everything to fight that knowledge getting out IMO.  

• Love 6

The thing, too, with Iron Man is we don't see his day-to-day activities as we do Oliver's. We only see Iron Man maybe once every two years and usually during a catastrophic event where his security and the security of his loved ones are never issues. You can't do that on a weekly show like the Green Arrow. I was so happy when Oliver explained why he doesn't want to out himself. Of course, that could changed in a couple of weeks and Arrow does a dumbass switcheroo and outs him but for now I'm glad the show took this route.

• Love 5

I honestly think Diaz is supposed to be Arrow's version of Wilson Fisk - a totally human baddie whose very name incites fear and submission (even for the vigilantes/superheroes) only because of his ruthlessness and the utter control he has in the city structure.  But either KA just can't bring the nuances the character needs the way VDO can, or he's not being written right, or something.  Something just isn't working.

I totally cried when "Tommy" pulled the mask off, not even ashamed.  I didn't realize how much I was not paying attention to the episode(s?) with whatshisname, because until he revealed himself in the van I really thought maybe the real Tommy had been playing a very, very long con and had been alive all this time.  I wish that was the case.  Tommy!  *cries*

Rene might be creeping back into my good graces (shut up) but not the other two.  I'm still mad about him calling Oliver a jerk, though.  Like seriously dude, grow up and get over yourself.  It's not like you've been this perfect angel who has never wronged him and he just won't give you a chance.

• Love 7

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – No Oliver Queen voiceover intro.

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – Oliver's defense counsel, Jean Loring, tells Oliver and Felicity that the prosecutor is outside counsel, Alexa Van Owen:
Reporter: "Mr. Queen, do you know who the Flash is? What about the identities of the other vigilantes working with the Green Arrow? Mr. Queen, how long will this trial last? Will you be acquitted?" 
(Several reporters are speaking at once, as Oliver, Felicity and Jean go into a conference room.)
Felicity: "And the media wonders why everyone hates them."
Jean: "Thank you, Officer. You can wait outside."
Cop: "I'm right where Mr. Diaz wants me."
Jean: "I need to have a privileged conversation with my client."
Cop: "Nobody's stopping you."
Jean: "Since you fired District Attorney Armand, the D.A.'s office has brought an outside counsel to prosecute."
Felicity: "Okay, well, that could be a good thing. I mean, someone who's not in Diaz's pocket."
Jean: "Have you heard of Alexa Van Owen?"
Oliver: "Should I have heard of her?"
Felicity (looking up the info on her iPhone): "She took down Intergang and Bruno Mannheim. She's prosecuted CEOs and serial killers, and she has CIA-caliber investigators that say they can find anything and everything. Her conviction rate is 99%."
Jean: "She called me last night, and she offered a plea. Single count of first-degree manslaughter."
Felicity: "That doesn't sound so bad."
Jean: "With a 15-year minimum sentence."
Felicity: "That sounds bad. We're not taking that, right?"
Oliver: "We're not taking any deal."
Jean: "Look, Van Owen isn't in Diaz's pocket, but we have every reason to believe that Judge McGarvey is. I mean, this whole system is against you."
Oliver: "No deal. Get me an acquittal."

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – Everyone shows up for Oliver's trial, except Diggle:
Curtis: "This looks bigger than the O.J. trial."
Dinah: "How would you know? You were in like fourth grade?"
Curtis: "Yeah, but I watch American Crime Story."
Rene: "I guess John decided not to show."
Curtis: "I know he was pissed, but I didn't know he was that pissed."
Felicity: "Guys. Hey. Thank you so much for coming."
Curtis: "Well, you know, they were subpoenaed. But we also wanted to show our support."
Dinah: "Yeah, we have your back."
Felicity: "Thank you. Really, thank you."
Felicity: "Hey."
Raisa: "So many reporters outside."
Felicity: "Yeah, I know.  Sorry. You okay?"
William: "I always thought the worst thing that could happen to Dad is... he'd get hurt."
Felicity: "I know. Okay. He's been through something like this before. I mean, not exactly like this, but something... It's gonna be okay."

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – Felicity reassures William, and we find out that Raisa knows that Oliver is the Green Arrow:
William: "It's not going too good, is it?"
Felicity: "Hey. No, it's going fine. It's fine. That was just the prosecution's turn. So when it's our turn, we're gonna kick some major ass. That's a legal term. Why don't you go and get yourself something that's not too unhealthy from the vending machine, okay?"
William: "Okay." (Leaves)
Raisa: "What will happen if Mr. Oliver goes to jail?"
Felicity: "He's not going to jail, Raisa. He's not the Green Arrow."
Raisa: "I think we both know better."

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – Rene testifies as a prosecution witness (per script):
EGnMm6PU8AAGEsA.jpg

EGnMm6PU4AA4Gyk.jpg

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – Rene, Felicity and Diggle check on Rene's daughter, Zoe, after she was brought to the courtroom by Ricardo Diaz:
Rene: "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"
Zoe: "I'm fine. He picked me up from school. He was with a police officer. They said you were hurt."
Rene: "He was here, and we just let him walk?"
Felicity: "We're not letting him walk."

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – Oliver admits to Jean that he is the Green Arrow and explains why he won't confess to being the Green Arrow:
Jean: "Are you the Green Arrow?"
Oliver: "Yes."
Jean: "Then I'm going to propose a new strategy."
Oliver: "Okay."
Jean: "Jury nullification."
Oliver: "Hmm?"
Jean: "You're going to admit to being the Green Arrow. We are then going to highlight every single thing you have done for this city, all the times you have saved it. We will argue you do not deserve to go to prison. This is a legitimate chance, Oliver."
Oliver: "I can't do it."
Jean: "Why not?"
Oliver: "I'd be putting a target on my back. I'd be putting a target on my wife and son's back. I have been the Green Arrow for six years. I didn't plan on doing it forever. I thought that, one day, my mission would end and I would finally, after all this time, get a chance to actually live my life. That will never happen if I tell the whole world that I'm the Green Arrow."

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – Oliver tells Felicity that she doesn't have to testify, but she disagrees:
Oliver: "You don't have to testify. Jean doesn't have to call you."
Felicity: "Yes, she does, and I want to testify."
Oliver: "I don't want you in a position where you perjure yourself because of me."
Felicity: "Oh, well, let me just add it to the long list of felonies I've already committed for you."
Oliver: "Look, John has something planned. You don't have to take the chance."
Felicity: "I will take any chance if it keeps you from being taken away from me and William."

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – Felicity testifies as an expert witness for Oliver's defense and is cross-examined by Alexa Van Owen:
Felicity: "I graduated summa cum laude from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with Master's Degrees in Cyber Security and Computer Sciences. From 2015 to 2016, I served as the CEO of Palmer Tech, Incorporated."
Jean: "Thank you. The defense moves to have Ms. Smoak accepted as an expert witness."
Judge McGarvey: "I don't see the point of this, Ms. Loring."
Jean: "I want the witness to testify as to the validity of this photograph."
Judge McGarvey: "Fine, but make it quick."
Jean: "Ms. Smoak, this appears to be a photograph of your husband, Oliver Queen, dressed as the Green Arrow."
Felicity: "Yes. The key words being 'appears to be.' This photo has been doctored. A pixel level analysis will show almost undetectable light shifts and resolution inconsistencies that would not be present in a natural photo."
Van Owen: "Objection, Your Honor. What is the point of showing us an allegedly doctored photograph at all?"
Felicity: "The better question would be who and why would they doctor a photo to make Oliver Queen look like the Green Arrow if he were the Green Arrow? I mean, which he's not. He's my husband. I would know."
Jean: "No further questions."
Van Owen: "When was Mr. Queen arrested?"
Felicity: "November 21, 2017."
Van Owen: "And when were the two of you married?"
Felicity: "November 28th."
Van Owen: "Just a week later."
Felicity: "Yes."
Van Owen: "Is it possible that you rushed the wedding so that you could claim spousal privilege, just in case you had to testify against Mr. Queen?"
Felicity: "I have been in love with Oliver for six years. Trust me, it felt anything but rushed."
Van Owen: “Let's change the topic. Your father's Noah Kuttler, the alleged Calculator."
Jean: "Objection."
Judge McGarvey: "Overruled."
Felicity: "He's reformed."
Van Owen: "But before he was, did you know that he was a notorious computer hacker and cyber criminal?"
Felicity: "No. I had no idea."
Van Owen: "Doesn't say much about your ability to see criminality in people close to you, does it?"
Felicity: "I wa-"
Van Owen: "And under the heading 'apples falling from trees,' have you yourself ever engaged in cyber crime?"
Felicity: "No, I haven't. Good luck proving otherwise, Ms. Van Owen."

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – 'Tommy Merlyn' (really, Christopher Chance AKA Human Target) testifies that he is the Green Arrow:
Jean: "Please state your name for the record."
Human Target/Tommy: "Thomas Merlyn. Tommy's fine if you want."
Jean: "Mr. Merlyn, you were declared dead May 15, 2013."
Human Target/Tommy: "That night, my father destroyed a large portion of the city. With the heightened scrutiny on my family, I took the opportunity to fake my own death to protect my identity as the Hood."
Jean: "Three years ago, Roy Harper confessed to being the Hood."
Human Target/Tommy: "To protect me. And then he was attacked in prison. I have lived with that guilt for three years. I am not about to let Oliver take the blame for me the same way that Roy did. And that's why I'm here - to set the record straight."
Jean: "Thank you. Your witness."
Van Owen: "If you're the Green Arrow, how come Rene Ramirez testified under oath that Oliver Queen is?"
Human Target/Tommy: "Well, I would suspect that he was being pressured to."
Van Owen: "Are you saying he perjured himself?"
Human Target/Tommy: "Well, I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. I'm just the Green Arrow. And I am telling you I am the only man that has ever worn this hood."
Judge McGarvey: "Mr. Merlyn, you're under arrest on suspicion of murder, assault, and violation of the Anti-Vigilante Act of 2017. The bailiff will remand Mr. Merlyn into custody."
Van Owen: "Objection, your honor. It's the people's contention that Mr. Merlyn here is not the Green Arrow."
Judge McGarvey: "Be that as it may, I can't just let him walk out of my courtroom."
Human Target/Tommy: "You know, if it's any consolation, my team is going to extract me before I ever get to prison, so -" (Shrugs)
Judge McGarvey: "Get him out of here."
Jean: "Your Honor, the defense moves for a dismissal."
Judge McGarvey: "Nice try, but it's the jury's job to sort out this kind of mess, and that's what I'm gonna let them do."

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – Oliver tells Felicity that, if he goes into prison, he wants her and William to go into A.R.G.U.S. protective custody:
Felicity: "When you said I didn't have to take the 'chance' of lying, that was a pun."
Oliver: "I don't do puns."
Felicity: "Well, that was Christopher Chance I did just see in there, right?"
Oliver: "Yes. I'm sorry that I couldn't loop you in. We had Officer Parks listening to every word that we said, and I - I didn't know Chance was gonna use Tommy's face."
Felicity: "Well, yeah, I mean, I guess they were thinking, 'What's more compelling than a testimony from a dead guy,' right?"
Quentin (entering): "Excuse me."
Oliver: "Mr. Mayor."
Quentin: "We've got a problem."
Felicity: "Not anymore. Chance just saved our bacon."
Quentin: "Laurel told me. She also told me that Diaz is making her testify as a rebuttal witness. He's sending her in there with Chance's entire CIA file. She will be telling the jury everything about what you guys just pulled in there, or Diaz is going to kill her."
Felicity: "How does Diaz even know about Chance?"
Oliver: "Because Diaz has access to everything that Cayden James learned from his - It's the bug in the bunker."
Quentin: "I'm sorry, Oliver."
Oliver: "We'll think of something."
Quentin: "I'll give you guys some room." (Leaves)
Felicity: "Okay. Okay. So... okay, what's the 'something' that we're gonna think of?"
Oliver: "Jean suggested that I just admit I'm the Green Arrow and we go for some sort of jury nullification. But I explained to her that I would like to have a life after being the Green Arrow. More importantly, I - I cannot put a target on you and William."
Felicity: "Let me worry about me and William. Let me at least take that off your plate."
Oliver: "That's not how wedding vows work."
Felicity: "Well, we didn't exchange vows. But if we did, exchange means 'goes both ways.' So we fight for each other, Oliver. We protect each other. We're gonna save each other."
Oliver: "I can't save anyone from behind bars."
Felicity: "We'll get you out, just like we got John out."
Oliver: "I could break out of prison, Felicity, but then what, you know? I - I'm not abandoning the two of you. I can't make the two of you fugitives."
Felicity: "We're gonna be okay."
Oliver: "John and I have been talking, and, uh, if I go to prison, I need... you and William to go into A.R.G.U.S. protective custody."
Felicity: "Oliver. We're not... we're not there yet."
Oliver: "We cannot live in denial, all right? We have to have a plan. I can handle losing my freedom. I cannot handle losing you and William."
(They hug.)

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – Oliver prepares William and Felicity for an unfavorable jury verdict:
William: "Dad!"
Oliver (hugging his son): "Hey. William, I love you very much. (Looks at Felicity) I love both of you very much. And whatever happens, nothing is gonna change that."
William: "What do you mean?"
Oliver: "I mean that the man who wants me in prison controls the judge, and we think it's a pretty good bet that he has a strong influence over the jury."
William: "What does that mean?"
Oliver: "It means I might be going to prison. Okay? If that happens, Felicity has assured me that she is going to make sure you grow into the man that I know you can be."
William: "I don't want you to go."
Oliver: "I don't want to go either. Okay? I don't. I wish it was up to me, but it's not. You are strong like me, stronger even. So whatever happens and wherever I am... you need to know that I am always right here with you."

621 (Docket No. 11-19-41-73) – Oliver learns that Human Target impersonated Judge McGarvey to render his judgment of acquittal notwithstanding the jury's guilty verdict:
Felicity: "Oh, my God. How is this possible?"
Oliver: "I don't know." (Hugs her and William)
(Oliver, Felicity and William return to the Arrow Bunker.)
Diggle: "Congratulations, man."
Oliver: "Thank you."
Felicity: "I'm surprised Judge McGarvey had it in him, you know? I totally thought he was in the tank for Diaz."
Human Target/McGarvey: "I absolutely am. And Mr. Diaz isn't the forgiving type. (Removes his McGarvey facial mask) Surprise."
Oliver: "Wait. Wait, wait. When did you -?"
Human Target: "During jury deliberation. You know, the judge can argue that he got rolled, but no one's gonna believe him."
Diggle: "Thanks again, man. I owe you another one."
Human Target: "Yeah, well, after Kasnia, let's just call it even."
Oliver: "Chris. Thank you."
Human Target: "Yeah. Always happy to help. Just try not to need me again for at least another year." (Leaves)
Oliver: "That was a brilliant move. Thank you."
Diggle: "Well, I wish I could take the credit, Oliver, but it wasn't my idea."

Edited by tv echo