Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Snatch Game

• Start Topic

Personally, I think you can make fun of Lea Michelle's many exaggerated traits while doing her, regardless of whether she herself is funny.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Omeletsmom said:

I think I would have liked it better if the wheelchairs were decorated in some way?  Each queen could have made the chair part of her look.

1 hour ago, Omeletsmom said:

When I first saw the mask, I was really, really hoping she was doing a reverse mermaid -- fish on the top and girl on the bottom. 

These are both better ideas than any of the contestants came up with.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, SHD said:

I would like to make it through at least one episode without someone saying "I'm serving up some _______________ realness."

Well I loved Ru's comment of Alicia Michelle last season with her Lady Gaga interpretation of the award winning Emmy look; "best actress REALNESSSSS!" ;-)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

I'm very confused about Monique not knowing the words. There's something behind-the-scenes about LSFYLs that I don't understand, or maybe the show has never made transparent. In Untucked, we saw Vixen with her earbuds in going over a stapled, printed out couple of pages that presumably had the song's lyrics. We didn't see the same from Monique. Last season, I believe Alexis defended Valentina in the reunion by saying she saw her looking over hand-written copies of the lyrics. When do they as a group find out about the LSYFL song, and more importantly, how and when can they get the lyrics? Do they potentially get a small window of time to quickly google them and print them off (or write them? it's seriously weird to me that Valentina's were hand written, and Vixen's were clearly printed off), and Monique was in the work room making her look during that time, or what? I'm not calling Rigger Morris here, I just don't understand when and how they're allowed to prepare, and I'd like to understand exactly how Monique fucked that up and broke my heart.

I think everyone gets given the song for that coming episode's LSFYL - I wish they had songs I had even vaguely heard of, not whatever it is that bobs up each week lately - and those who feel they are most in danger rehearse some more before the runway and after judging; and everyone is supposed to be able to pull one off, but probably safer queens don't learn the  lyrics and rehearse as much (or at all) as those who feel they are in the bottom rung currently or may not do so well in a particular challenge. I guess I must've seen queens going over handwritten notes, when they're still trying to cement the lyrics at the last minute, but it's not a frequent thing from memory - usually you just see them before the mirror with the earbuds in mouthing along. I imagine it is possible to write up and print out the lyrics if you ask nicely!  (I didn't notice that last night) But  my understanding in general is that they are all just given the recorded song itself to learn, at least the night before. I think some people are quick at picking up lyrics, in the way some pick up dance moves easily, and some work their rings off to make sure they can reproduce them and interpret them, and some just don't put enough effort into the learning so then on the stage it all falls out of their heads...

The Vixen is pretty vile, the nasty thing, but also pretty out of drag, and I like that she hits the beat with her moves even if they don't necessarily fit the mood of the godawful song. Poor Monique, I thought is she mumbling and then her wig went off and I knew she was desperate. It was funny seeing the little O-mouths of shock on the panel when her nether regions were revealed during tumbles. I am finding the leaving scenes really sad, almost unbearable to watch, this season - I much preferred it when the crew wheeled out the bags and hugged the departing queen goodbye.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

When I first saw the mask, I was really, really hoping she was doing a reverse mermaid -- fish on the top and girl on the bottom.  Having the head and tail with a human torso was just weird.

Have you ever seen The Awesomes on Hulu?  It's about a team of superheroes. They go to Atlantis in one episode. It's revealed that the mermaid with a fish face and human body gets all the guys because the sailors know how to have sex with her.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, rlc said:

She didn’t lift Vixen over her head a la Mimi, so, not everything.

Well she did do a barrel roll or whatever you want to call that and almost knocked The Vixen down like a bowling pin. Monique: It was interpretive dance.

• Love 2

I was a Chyna STAN back in the day (I did my National History Day Project on her!) So I loved Kameron's choice. In real life, Chyna had a very high voice and always denied taking any enhancement drugs, but the look was there and I'm not gonna be a stickler -- I am guessing the fanbase overlap of RPDR and the Attitude Era of the World Wrestling Federation is a small Venn diagram.

I missed the library because I was in line getting a burger!

Aquaria didn't have any BIG moments in Snatch Game, but it was smart as he'll, from the get-go with her namecard saying Michelle Obama.

I feel for Vixen, because this show is supposed to maximize a queen's exposure and up her booking fee so she can get some coins. How is she gonna get hired after this episode? Did you notice during the Shantay You Stay, she thought she had sashayed away?? She's gonna have to eat a LOT of crow next week.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think the issues between The Vixen and Eureka are interesting.  They have both gotten to a point in their lives where they don't give any f's about anything, they are going to fight for what they believe.  The thing is, The Vixen just flat out doesn't like Eureka.  There is very little I think Eureka could say or do to make The Vixen agree with her.  After last week, Eureka was willing to live and let live but The Vixen just lets Eureka's natural personality rub her wrong.  In her real life she could stay away from someone who annoys her so greatly but here, she us forced to live and work with a person she has decided she just flat out doesn't like.  Vixen needs to grow up.  By letting Eureka annoy her, she is losing this competition.  She spent most of the (edited) Snatch Game throwing looks and being annoyed at Eureka.  You think it was a coincidence they were seated next to each other?  Shady producers.  ?

Melania, Chyna, Maya, and Honey Boo Boo were the clear winners.  I wish we had seen more Dorothy Parker.  Beyonce, Maxine and Blue Ivy were boring and just wrong.  

My favorite SGs ever were Judge Judy, Carol Channing, and Dame Maggie Smith.  Hilarious!

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 4

Aquaria could probably have pulled off a totally baller Tilda Swinton, too. 

Re: not knowing the words, in Untucked Monique said that she didn't have time to learn the words because she was up late making sure her runway outfit was ready. Girrl, you can stone a mermaid tail and listen to an iPod at the same time.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Re: not knowing the words, in Untucked Monique said that she didn't have time to learn the words because she was up late making sure her runway outfit was ready. Girrl, you can stone a mermaid tail and listen to an iPod at the same time.

I had a pause at that statement too. Coming to the stage Multi Tasking! Study her, Monique. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

The thing is, The Vixen just flat out doesn't like Eureka. 

She was screaming with rage in Aquaria's face for some reason, earlier in the season. I think it is a rage problem rather than any personality clash. The Vixen goes from annoyed to annihilator mode in ten seconds flat and seems to think a giant old tanty is the way to solve problems, i.e. get her way.

• Love 9

This season's reading challenge was pretty lame. 

Snatch Game: Why is it that queens who go on RPDR don't fully prepare for Snatch Game? If I had to impersonate someone, I'd study them! Research is your friend.  Aquaria hit it right from jump with the Michelle Obama name card as she played Melania Trump! I cackled.  Asia however, didn't do well as Beyonce.  She even managed to cow Vixen as Blue Ivy. Yikes.  Eureka was great, and Monet did a hilarious Maya Angelou.  Monique's Maxine Waters was a wash, like Ms. Cracker's Dorothy Parker.

Mermaid Realness: Aquaria made me pause to take in her look. Werk! I also liked Monet's Warrior Mermaid and Kameron Michaels. 

Lip Sync: Wow, I actually caught Ru's face fall as Monique's wig slipped. "Dammit, she can't stay now."  If Monique had held it together and knew the words, Vixen would have tumbled her way home! 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I think the issues between The Vixen and Eureka are interesting.  They have both gotten to a point in their lives where they don't give any f's about anything, they are going to fight for what they believe.  The thing is, The Vixen just flat out doesn't like Eureka.  There is very little I think Eureka could say or do to make The Vixen agree with her.  After last week, Eureka was willing to live and let live but The Vixen just lets Eureka's natural personality rub her wrong.  In her real life she could stay away from someone who annoys her so greatly but here, she us forced to live and work with a person she has decided she just flat out doesn't like.  Vixen needs to grow up.  By letting Eureka annoy her, she is losing this competition.  She spent most of the (edited) Snatch Game throwing looks and being annoyed at Eureka.  You think it was a coincidence they were seated next to each other?  Shady producers.  ?

Melania, Chyna, Maya, and Honey Boo Boo were the clear winners.  I wish we had seen more Dorothy Parker.  Beyonce, Maxine and Blue Ivy were boring and just wrong.  

My favorite SGs ever were Judge Judy, Carol Channing, and Dame Judy Dench.  Hilarious!

You nailed it.

The Vixen's stank attitude would be slightly more palatable if her drag wasn't so off. Her makeup and hair are at least okay most of the time, but the costumes just aren't there. Contrast that with Eureka, who pretty much brings it every time. 

Ms. Cracker's Dorothy Parker was intriguing but perhaps a bit esoteric. I would've loved to have seen more as well.

• Love 2

Did you notice during the Shantay You Stay, she thought she had sashayed away?? She's gonna have to eat a LOT of crow next week.

I think Vixen was so angry at being called out by the others that she stomped off in a tantrum. I don’t think she was mixed up. 

Side note: UGH on me putting down Asia instead of The Vixen. That’s what I get for posting late at night! I fixed it. 

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

I'm very confused about Monique not knowing the words. There's something behind-the-scenes about LSFYLs that I don't understand, or maybe the show has never made transparent. In Untucked, we saw Vixen with her earbuds in going over a stapled, printed out couple of pages that presumably had the song's lyrics. We didn't see the same from Monique. Last season, I believe Alexis defended Valentina in the reunion by saying she saw her looking over hand-written copies of the lyrics. When do they as a group find out about the LSYFL song, and more importantly, how and when can they get the lyrics? Do they potentially get a small window of time to quickly google them and print them off (or write them? it's seriously weird to me that Valentina's were hand written, and Vixen's were clearly printed off), and Monique was in the work room making her look during that time, or what? I'm not calling Rigger Morris here, I just don't understand when and how they're allowed to prepare, and I'd like to understand exactly how Monique fucked that up and broke my heart.

Monique always seemed to think that she deserved to win challenges even when she wasn't that great. I'm guessing that she just really, really didn't think she'd be in the bottom two, and so she didn't bother to prepare for the lip sync. And then when she was, she was shaken and off her game.

One of the previous queens (Bianca, I think) has said that all the contestants in a given season get a list of the lip sync songs very early on. They just don't know what order they'll be in. After they perform the main challenge, the queens are told which song it will be. This presumably gives Ru and the producers the opportunity to favor a particular contestant - like Yara Sofia getting the Spanish language version of Mickey (not that it did Yara much good), or Latrice getting an Aretha song.

9 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Monique's Maxine Waters was a wash, like Ms. Cracker's Dorothy Parker.

Cracker, from what we saw, was fine. But I found Monique painful to watch as Maxine Waters.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Glade said:

Personally, I think you can make fun of Lea Michelle's many exaggerated traits while doing her, regardless of whether she herself is funny.

Exactly. Maya Angelou wasn't funny, but Snatch Game Maya was a hoot!

• Love 5

Next week will be interesting with The Vixen still there. I thought at first when she watched the video from her mom that she was going to snap out of her rage and calm down a bit, but then nope, she's right back to being furious. It sucks because she's pushing everyone away and making them enemies when they don't have anything against her personally.

Hopefully with fewer people around we get to see Kameron come out of her shell a bit more--she seems really sweet and funny. It's going to be a tight race for Miss Congeniality this year!

On 5/3/2018 at 8:21 PM, laprin said:

On a side note, it really is easy to forget how pretty Bianca Del Rio is because she’s such a shady and funny queen. 

I went back and watched the Sissy That Walk video after Adam Rippon danced to it, and I was really struck by how pretty she was and a good dancer, too. 

• Love 1

Monet's Maya Angelou was what I had really been wanting Chi Chi to pull off (because I love Chi Chi and want her to succeed).

I thought this Snatch Game was decent but not done as well as it could have been based on the characters.  There was opportunity for banter between Blu Ivy and Honey Booboo that wasn't explored (or at least didn't make it to camera), opportunity for more banter between Melania and Maxine Waters, more opportunity for banter between Dorothy Parker and Maya Angelou, etc. This was actually a set of characters that SHOULD have all worked together (aside from Chyna, who was kind of random, but I love the alley oop for the joke about why Melania's husband hates China, which wouldn't have been possible without her) but didn't work out as well as it should have.

This should have been an incredibly funny snatch game overall but instead it was only funny.

Miz Cracker's one-liners are just sliiiiiiiiightly too long to land well, so you can tell they're not off the cuff. I think she's funnier when she's responding off the cuff, because her practiced things are obviously practiced and don't come off as witty.

• Love 3

Dorothy Parker is like Mark Twain in that they have famous one liners, but they're writerly quips that require time to craft. There's nothing off the cuff about their humor. And unfortunately, unlike Twain, Parker isn't visually distinctive, so there's nothing a drag queen can do with that either. I've seen Miz Cracker's performances on Youtube and they are strange, wacky and quite goofy - things she has yet to show on Drag Race. I think she could have done a killer Pee Wee Herman or Amy Sedaris.

Not since Courtney Act unfurled her gigantic wings on stage, have I seen such a startling difference in the money some drag queens have compared to others. Aquaria and Eureka clearly have much more dough to spend than the others and it really helps them. RuPaul and Michelle weigh the runway just as heavily as the challenges, so if a queen completely bombs, she can keep herself out of the bottom two with a killer look. In this episode, I'd say Aquaria was very funny (who saw that coming?), but what put her over Eureka, and especially Monet who were arguably funnier, was that runway look. Given her style and deep pockets,  there is no reason to believe Aquaria can ever land in the bottom two.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Mayberry said:

Then she mistakenly asked Audra McDonald if she had a "swimsuit issue" instead of Kate Upton which was also awkward and it ruined her joke.

I don't think it was a mistake. I'm sure Miz Cracker knows exactly who Audra McDonald is, and that she doesn't have a swimsuit issue. I think the idea was that Dorothy Parker would have no idea who either Audra McDonald or Kate Upton were.

I had to laugh when Eureka said we would be surprised that she had an Ursula outfit. I feel like every obese drag queen has an "Ursula the Sea Witch realness" outfit. It was probably the least surprising look she could have gone with.

• Love 9
On 5/5/2018 at 10:51 AM, MaryWebGirl said:

I went back and watched the Sissy That Walk video after Adam Rippon danced to it, and I was really struck by how pretty (Bianca) was and a good dancer, too. 

I might splurge and buy S6 on Amazon. Remember when they show the final 4 how to walk in heels on a treadmill? Bianca says to Adore, "We're gonna die," and then has to go first!

• Love 1

Ah the real Vixen finally came out, I didn't like her since the 2nd episode when she kept going on and on in (maybe also in Untucked) about how she wins...but RuPaul's explanation was because she was the team leader, but nothing about how she was the best in her group, which I didn't think she was, even based on that runway outfit.   Ru also said it best last week I think, "there is something off about Vixen's drag", and I agree, it's messy somehow, unpolished even...but her denim outfit last week was so good, credit where credit is due. 

While I find Eureka to be loud and yes, I agree, constantly talking and plain annoying, the Vixen's hatred for her is mind-blowing!  I find everyone else in the competition to be cute guys in their own ways, except these two.

The challenge was hard to see how truly Miss Cracker and Kameron did because we literally saw them for two or maximum three times each, so hard to gauge how they did.  And I thought Asia deserved to be in bottom two, her Beyonce was so much worse than Maxine Walters.  Glad Aquaria won, she was really stunning on the stage, and Monet and Eureka were funny too. 

The LSFYL was sad, and I really liked Monique, I also loved Blair last week too, and Mayhem (who was so hot out of drag).  But Monique seemed like she wanted to be sent home with all of those stunts she tried to pull on the stage, it was so cringe-worthy. 

• Love 1
On 5/3/2018 at 11:18 PM, howiveaddict said:

The other queens should be offended when Vixen said it was her dream to win drag race.  I actually think it is probably all of their dreams to win.  I hate when people think they are more entitled than anyone else to win something.  She really has it out for Eureka.  And then to be mad when the other girls said she should go home.  I've been over Vixen since the first episode.  

Ru really acted like she hated having to send Monique home.  I thought Vixen's rant against Eureka on stage should have sealed her doom.  Too bad Monique messed up the lip sync.

I wonder if RuPaul was secretly cursing Monique out for messing up the lip sync, because Monique messing up meant she couldn't find an excuse to send Vixen home.

• Love 7
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:38 PM, Fiero425 said:

Another award winning addition of "Snatch Game;" NOT! Maya was fully realized while Beyoncé and Blue IVY needed to go! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425