Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E22: The Monetary Insufficiency

I'm torn on the tiara addition too because Amy already wore that when she was maid of honor at Bernadette's wedding.

Her tiara could be her something old. Or she could get a new tiara, but I agree, Any has to wear a tiara!

And I thought antebellum south with that dress. Amy loves the frou frou, whether it's Victorian or Antebellum, over the top, lace, ruffles, hoop skirts, it's Amy.

But I liked very much how excited she was to see herself in all the gowns and that she felt beautiful in all of them. A bride should feel beautiful on her wedding day.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

They should have taken pictures of her in the dresses to review later.  If she still liked the last one best after reviewing all of them, then so be it.

Neither I nor my 30-something daughters have ever worn wedding dresses, but my youngest might. Is taking pictures to review a thing that I should be taking notes on?

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

The "pile of swans" line was great, but Sheldon hates birds, so it was also a little distracting to me, that that's how he expressed his appreciation

Sheldon *did* hate birds, but then he adopted the one who laid an egg in an early season—perhaps my favorite sepisode.

• Love 2

I constantly call my cat lovey-dovey in homage to Sheldon loving that blue jay.

I loved the first dress Amy tried on so much.  It was plain, but there was some design to it, and it was so flattering.

The second dress was made to be worn with a tiara.  It was almost Lady Di-like to me.  But no way in hell could I see Mayim wearing it for longer than she did.

The swan dress was nearly sorta Little House-like except for the terrible lace sleeves.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

They didn't go for the joke I was expecting and I'm glad.  After Sheldon told Amy she looked beautiful and like a pile of swans I was very, very certain his next line was going to be something like "I can't wait to see what you wear on our wedding day".  Amy would have answered with a confused "this is the dress I bought for the wedding" and Sheldon would have done his usual clueless dismissal with a comment about how now that he saw her she can't wear it and he hopes she finds something just as nice to surprise him with.  Of course he probably doesn't buy into those superstitions but I was still expecting that to be the final joke which would have sucked so glad they didn't go there.

I just saw a repeat the other night of the episode in which Sheldon and Howard are driving out to the desert to shoot off a rocket, and Howard mentions that they should stop for peanuts because NASA always has them at all their launches for good luck.  Sheldon is against it because he doesn't believe in superstitions.... so I was not surprised that aspect didn't seem to bother him.  (I guess you could argue that Sheldon would prefer that she wear something he hasn't seen for tradition, but I don't think he's the type that would care about that.)

7 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

Sorry, but if someone asks my opinion I'm going to give them the truth.  I think that is being a true friend.  My friends know this and I would want my friends to reciprocate. 

At the end of the day, Amy is the bride and her opinion matters most.  If she likes the dress, she likes the dress and should stick with it. 

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think there really are two kinds of people, those who want to hear the truth of what others think, and those who want to be supported in whatever they themselves think, and it's fine to be one way and not the other, but you have to  be clear with your friends about what kind of conversation you want to have, because it really isn't a universal standard. I would feel so betrayed if my friends told me they liked something when they thought it was a bad idea. My point of view is: why he hell am I even talking to you if you're just going to BS me? But I understand that sometimes you want support, and aren't looking for anyone else's opinion. I just think it's important to establish that before you start.

I don't get why anyone would ask a friend for their opinion and prefer them to lie.  What's the point in that?  It's not much of a friendship if you can't count on your friend to be honest with you.  Especially in this case when it was early on and Amy could have returned the dress rather than being embarrassed later and regretting her choice.

2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Her tiara could be her something old. Or she could get a new tiara, but I agree, Any has to wear a tiara!

And I thought antebellum south with that dress. Amy loves the frou frou, whether it's Victorian or Antebellum, over the top, lace, ruffles, hoop skirts, it's Amy.

But I liked very much how excited she was to see herself in all the gowns and that she felt beautiful in all of them. A bride should feel beautiful on her wedding day.

I was thinking the same thing about the tiara.  I think it would be sweet for her to wear it, since it was an early gift from Sheldon that she loved so much.

I had the same thought about the dress -Antebellum south or over the top Little House on the Prairie... which is probably why Amy loved it so much.

Sheldon's reaction was the best, and Jim Parsons did a fantastic job in that scene.  Amy and Sheldon really are made for each other.

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The swan dress was nearly sorta Little House

That's what I thought too. And now that Amy's dress is the "swan dress" I guess we can forget Bjork's swan dress!

Add the tiara to complete Amy's outfit. Then take Sheldon back to get the white bedazzled tux with tails that he tried on many seasons ago with Penny (I'm sure the store still has it!). THEN we've got a wedding worth watching!

i know they're actors, and good ones at that, but I feel like you can see the love Mayim and Jim have for each other in every scene they're together. It gives me warm fuzzies.

• Love 6
On 4/26/2018 at 8:40 PM, Spartan Girl said:

For genuinely thinking Amy looked beautiful in that tacky dress, Sheldon gets three gold stars.

I can't say I liked that dress, but I did like the pile of swans line.  I wouldn't have minded the dress so much, except that she looked so much nicer in the other ones.

16 hours ago, Quark said:

Sheldon's scream of "No" as he was carried out was hilarious.Not a fan of bitchy Bernadette.

Penny didn't hesitate to take her chance to throw Bernadette under the bus when either, when Bernadette called to confess she didn't like the dress either.  She mouthed "Isn't she awful?" or something like that to Amy.

By the way, I thought Penny's hair in this episode looked about as good as it has since the early seasons.  I've always thought the lighter color was the most flattering on her, and it makes her look more youthful too.  The straight cut she had looked very stylish also.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

don't get why anyone would ask a friend for their opinion and prefer them to lie.  What's the point in that?  It's not much of a friendship if you can't count on your friend to be honest with you. 

This reminds me of the countless times I've said to my youngest (who might be wedding dress shopping in the next year), "You don't want my opinion. You want your opinion to come out of my mouth," which I think might have originally been a line in a sitcom. After tantrums and tears, she would then say, "I just want you to be supportive." 
So, thanks to this episode and this discussion, I will be sure to stifle my perennial outspokenness and say, "Well, honey, what do you think of it?" Anyway, it will "just" be a reception dress, since they plan to get married in court and be able to put money down on a house. 
But I still remember blurting out to her oldest sister in a fitting room that a prom dress made her look like a mermaid—which I thought was a cool remark since she had loved that the Little Mermaid had red hair like she does—but, no, not cool.     With all the drinking Penny and Bernie were doing in the fitting room, IRL wouldn't they have made a negative version of the pile of swans remark?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I was too, only because Mayim Bialik dresses so modestly.  TBBT has always been very considerate on that point so it was surprising to see Amy come out in two strapless dresses (and showing her clavicles!)

If you check out Mayim Bialik's photos from red carpets & public appearances, the first two dresses aren't outside her personal wheelhouse.  IRL she's got plenty of outfits showing cleavage, clavicles, show off her figure, bare arms, bare legs, etc.  (I loved the clavicle line in this episode!)  She dresses more conservatively compared to other celebrities, but her real life outfits are probably in line with most of us normal people out there.  Whereas Amy is much more frumped up than real life Mayim.  I think Amy would have the same wardrobe whatever actress had that role.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I constantly call my cat lovey-dovey in homage to Sheldon loving that blue jay.

I loved the first dress Amy tried on so much.  It was plain, but there was some design to it, and it was so flattering.

The second dress was made to be worn with a tiara.  It was almost Lady Di-like to me.  But no way in hell could I see Mayim wearing it for longer than she did.

The swan dress was nearly sorta Little House-like except for the terrible lace sleeves.

I got the Little House on the Prairie vibe from the frou frou dress. .. especially the caplet.   And since Amy LOVES LHOTP, it makes sense .   With the addition of a tiara, of course. 

Did they have swans on on LHOTP? 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, rmontro said:

I can't say I liked that dress, but I did like the pile of swans line.  I wouldn't have minded the dress so much, except that she looked so much nicer in the other ones.

Penny didn't hesitate to take her chance to throw Bernadette under the bus when either, when Bernadette called to confess she didn't like the dress either.  She mouthed "Isn't she awful?" or something like that to Amy.

This episode kinda annoyed me in regards to the friendship triad amongst Amy, Bernadette and Penny. They tend to throw one another under the bus now and then, why make it so difficult to interpret? This is why friendships are hard, no one says what they really mean. 

I love that Sheldon loved the dress and phooey on the other two for trying to talk her out of it. 

Edited by TurtlePower
1 minute ago, TurtlePower said:

This episode kinda annoyed me in regards to the friendship triad amongst Amy, Bernadette and Penny. They tend to throw one another under the bus now and then, why make it so hard

I've noticed this with all the characters.  Howard probably being the worst of the bunch.  He delights in the misfortunes of his friends!  

1 hour ago, BlossomCulp said:

I've noticed this with all the characters.  Howard probably being the worst of the bunch.  He delights in the misfortunes of his friends!  

Isn't that pretty much a sitcom trope? Happened all the time on HIMYM (and boy did I hate all the slap-bet episodes, to this day I don't see why they were supposed to be funny).

@possibilities Thanks for the link! That puts things in perspective.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I got curious, so I looked up 2018 wedding dresses. Apparently those little capelets like Amy's dress had are currently in fashion. And honestly, quite a few of the dresses featured here are even more shockingly hideous to me than what Amy picked out:

https://www.brides.com/gallery/wedding-dress-trends-spring-2018

I like a lot of them (not the naked ones).
Light blue is pretty in a Cinderella way.
And I like the capes, but these are all diaphanous—like a wedding veil—whereas Amy's was more like something Laura Ingalls would've worn for a winter sleigh ride.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I got curious, so I looked up 2018 wedding dresses. Apparently those little capelets like Amy's dress had are currently in fashion. And honestly, quite a few of the dresses featured here are even more shockingly hideous to me than what Amy picked out:

https://www.brides.com/gallery/wedding-dress-trends-spring-2018

Thanks for the link also.  Some of the dresses are hideous and not suitable for an average wedding.  Looking through that gallery, Amy's wedding dress is not bad at all.  At least she can wear her dress in front of her family and friends.  Some of the dresses in the link were trashy. 

• Love 1

The cape thingie does solve the “save the slutwear for the reception” dilemma, but wow...

so black is the new white? Is that what you wear after you just offed your first husband?

Back to Amy...blech. But she loves it, so...

Sometimes I wonder if poor Princess Di didn’t look back at her dress and ask herself what she was thinking...and on multiple levels. Some dresses just don’t age well.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Sometimes I wonder if poor Princess Di didn’t look back at her dress and ask herself what she was thinking...and on multiple levels. Some dresses just don’t age well.

Well, it was 1981. No one looked good during the '70s and '80s. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

The cape thingie does solve the “save the slutwear for the reception” dilemma, but wow...

so black is the new white? Is that what you wear after you just offed your first husband?

Back to Amy...blech. But she loves it, so...

Totally agree with you there.  I was amazed at how many of those dresses seemed unsuitable to wear to an average wedding. 

I actually don't mind color for wedding dresses.  I'm Indian descent and we do wear colored saris for our weddings.  My mom's wedding sari was a combination of red and yellow.  The tradition of having a white wedding dress started at Queen Victoria's wedding to Prince Albert.  Before that event, a wedding dress was the best dress that a woman usually has (and usually wore again).  I do think that black is inappropriate for a wedding dress since historically it was used as a color for mourning.  I don't think any bride would want that association for their wedding.

Amy loves that dress, so I don't mind.  A radiant smile to me is more important.

7 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm also not a fan of 1970s or 1980s fashion.  I know some people like the fashion of that time period, I'm just not one of them.

• Love 3
On 4/27/2018 at 6:00 PM, BlossomCulp said:

It's a sitcom so I'll cut them some slack but honestly where did the dresses come from?  IME (admittedly only a few places, a few times) you pick out the dresses you want from the racks and they are carried into the dressing room for you.  It's not too believable that Amy and Bernadette just sat there nibbling and drinking and somehow those dresses mysteriously appeared in the changing room!

My guess is that Amy went through the displays (not sure if that's the right word. I haven't done this kind of thing yet) and then the salesperson put them in the fitting for her. The writers decided they didn't want to show that part, so they skipped right to Amy trying on the dresses. 

2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I imagine like most women, Di would explain "It was the 80s." Funny thing about that. A lot of 1980s styles are making a come back, so maybe Amy's dress is part of that. 

2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Agreed. I go back on forth on whether the 1970s or 1980s were the nadir of American fashion. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

My guess is that Amy went through the displays (not sure if that's the right word. I haven't done this kind of thing yet) and then the salesperson put them in the fitting for her. The writers decided they didn't want to show that part, so they skipped right to Amy trying on the dresses.

Very early in the fittings, you can see a saleswoman in the background carrying a dress, so I figured she was helping Amy.

• Love 2
On 4/27/2018 at 8:22 PM, shapeshifter said:

Neither I nor my 30-something daughters have ever worn wedding dresses, but my youngest might. Is taking pictures to review a thing that I should be taking notes on?

It might be better then trying to decide at the shop after trying on a bunch of dresses. With pictures, you can compare all the top looks at her leisure and without any pressure to make a decision on the spot.

• Love 3

Personally I'm not a big fan of the dress, I get why they went for something like that (as the storyline played out with her loving it, Penny and Bernie not which results in doubts creeping in Amy's mind and Sheldon comes back home and backs her choice) but for me it was a little too extreme. I could imagine Amy wearing something obviously in her style, likely covered up for the most part, maybe something Edwardian or Regency period style (Some say it's Victorian but I am not sure myself, seems more Gone with the Wind) but not as over the top as the one they picked.

I think they went for both maximum laughs (well it is a comedy first and foremost). You could almost hear an 'oh no' and gasping in the audience as well as the laughs, then obviously the aww's at the end after that Shamy moment.

It was indeed a beautiful Sheldon and Amy moment at the end, but even after that I still see a hideous dress that's over the top. If the bride is happy then the bride is happy at the end of the day, but as a viewer I was kind of disappointed with it.

Edited by Edmond83
2 hours ago, Edmond83 said:

If the bride is happy then the bride is happy at the end of the day, but as a viewer I was kind of disappointed with it.

I'm glad Amy likes the dress and I'm thrilled that Sheldon thinks she looks beautiful in it, but as a viewer that really likes Amy I want her to look lovely for her wedding...and that dress isn't going to cut it.   So I'm hoping something goes wrong with the dress she has and there's a last minute substitution, like maybe the first dress she tried on.   And that Amy is just as happy with it.  Or maybe a stylist will work with it and it will actually be toned down a little.  I just think Amy deserves a gorgeous wedding.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Frost said:

So I'm hoping something goes wrong with the dress she has and there's a last minute substitution, like maybe the first dress she tried on.

Also since the viewers have already seen the dress it's not going to be a funny or shocking thing on the actual day anyway so I suspect the powers that be will do something different.  

• Love 1

Part of me wants to see Sheldon and Amy get the wedding they want and planned for.   But another part of me wants Amy's dress to succumb to some disaster 5 minutes before the ceremony, but by twist of fate, the wedding that was supposed to be in the same place the night before had a runaway bride and her dress is still there, and it's Amy's size and it's a totally VaVoom! dress that she ends up wearing (and liking just as much) down the aisle.  And Sheldon is so shocked (in a good way) he can't get out a word of his 10 pages of Klingon vows, and just says "I love you and I do", and that's that.  

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Frost said:

I'm glad Amy likes the dress and I'm thrilled that Sheldon thinks she looks beautiful in it, but as a viewer that really likes Amy I want her to look lovely for her wedding...and that dress isn't going to cut it.   So I'm hoping something goes wrong with the dress she has and there's a last minute substitution, like maybe the first dress she tried on.   And that Amy is just as happy with it.  Or maybe a stylist will work with it and it will actually be toned down a little.  I just think Amy deserves a gorgeous wedding.

I agree and share similar feelings.

Amy is my favorite character on the show, so to see a dress I kind of find absolutely hideous and difficult to stomach is immensely disappointing for me. Obviously each person has their own tastes especially when it comes to aesthetics, me personally I just hate it.

In a way I feel bad because from a character perspective I should be happy that she has found 'the one', the dress she really wants for her wedding and that should be all that matters at the end of the day. I guess my complaints are more about the show itself and the dress they ultimately chose for her, I do believe they could have given a dress to Amy that still made the storyline play out as it did i.e. Amy picks a dress in her style, Penny and Bernadette don't like it, Amy is thinking of heeding their advice and considering taking it back but then Sheldon convinces her to go with her choice.

But they went for maximum shock value here, which I understand because it's a comedy and they wanted two powerful moments in the episode, one of laughter and 'OMG that's hideous' to 'awww' as Sheldon supported her choice. Still a large part of me would have taken a less hideous dress even if meant those moments were not as powerful in the episode.

Maybe i'll close my eyes and just listen to the vows if that's the dress she does indeed wear and we actually see a ceremony.

52 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

Also since the viewers have already seen the dress it's not going to be a funny or shocking thing on the actual day anyway so I suspect the powers that be will do something different.  

Ah, but we haven't seen it through Sheldon's mother's eyes yet!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Ah, but we haven't seen it through Sheldon's mother's eyes yet!

Mary will probably say something like she did when she met Amy and had to get her and Sheldon back together after the breakup (which wasn't a breakup because that implies that she is his girlfriend.)  Mary said "while she's a perfectly unique young woman..."   This can describe Amy's dress too.  Perfectly unique.   That's a very nice way of not having to say it's ugly!  

I'm with you guys on thinking that they'll tweak this dress or somehow Amy will have to come up with a plan B due to some unforeseen issue with the pile of swans dress.  I sure hope so.  

My theory on giving honest opinions is to listen to how they ask the question.  If it is “What do you think?” then I am happy to give my opinion.  If it is “Isn’t this the most beautiful dress you have ever seen?” then my response is more along the lines of “Wow, you seem to love it!” I might add that it was certainly different from the other things she tried on, but I wouldn’t just flat out call it ugly.

Regarding photos, some shops don’t allow photos of a dress until after it has been purchased.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

As a very mono-chromatic person, Sheldon wearing the teal long-sleeved shirt under the orange Gryffindor t-shirt that doesn’t have any teal in it makes me twitch.

The Gryffindor shirt was maroon-borderline-purple to my eye, with gold text.

I loved Sheldon's reaction to seeing Amy in her dress. It made him much more likeable than he normally is.

But I was most relieved that David Rosen faked his death and moved to California to become...some sort of grant-giving person? I don't even care...he was the best part of Scandal by the end and I hope Josh Malina finds a better show soon. 

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

As a very mono-chromatic person, Sheldon wearing the teal long-sleeved shirt under the orange Gryffindor t-shirt that doesn’t have any teal in it makes me twitch.

Marry me.

I kept staring at it thinking, “but they don’t go together!!!” And other than whatever hideousness Raj is wearing I rarely notice the guys’ clothes at all.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:22 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Agreed. I go back on forth on whether the 1970s or 1980s were the nadir of American fashion. 

Well, the 70s had bell bottoms and platform shoes, which will always be cool in my eyes. I really can't think of any 80s fashion trends that are still cool. But the 80s had the best music.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lilac2000 said:

I loved Sheldon's reaction to seeing Amy in her dress. It made him much more likeable than he normally is.

But I was most relieved that David Rosen faked his death and moved to California to become...some sort of grant-giving person? I don't even care...he was the best part of Scandal by the end and I hope Josh Malina finds a better show soon. 

That was President Siebert! He's been in a few episodes but hasn't appeared since season five. It was great to see his character again.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 1
On 4/27/2018 at 7:54 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

Capture85.JPG

She looks like a pile of coffee filters.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:35 AM, kili said:

That is what totally took me out of this episode. If Penny can politely accept that horrible painting and display it in her home without giving Amy a truth bomb, why would Penny feel the need to drop a truth bomb on that dress? Amy was so obviously delighted about the dress and it is her wedding. If Penny won't stand up for her house (with respect to that creepy picture), why stand up for fashion for a dress that is worn once? Seems horribly inconsistent. Plus, Penny is the one with social skills. She's certainly learned the lesson when white lies are more appropriate than the truth. Having Penny be the one unable to keep up the lie makes zero sense.

That’s the sort of dress people would talk about behind the bride’s back, and Amy could very well learn about it. Imagine how Amy would feel if she realized that Penny and Bernadette didn’t like it from the start, if they could have spared her that humiliation?

It’s still ultimately her choice, of course, but I think a good friend should be honest here, so long as they are tactful about it.

On 4/27/2018 at 3:00 PM, BlossomCulp said:

It's a sitcom so I'll cut them some slack but honestly where did the dresses come from?  IME (admittedly only a few places, a few times) you pick out the dresses you want from the racks and they are carried into the dressing room for you.  It's not too believable that Amy and Bernadette just sat there nibbling and drinking and somehow those dresses mysteriously appeared in the changing room!

When I picked out my dresses to try, it was from a magazine inside the store. The sales lady brought them to me. They were hung up nearby though, and I needed some help getting in and out of them. Maybe Amy was too shy to be helped by her friends with that.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Meushell said:

On April 27, 2018 at 9:54 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

Capture85.JPG

She looks like a pile of coffee filters.

That's what it is!  
I was thinking Cinderella cake topper, but, no, definitely "a pile of coffee filters."
But this a pretty pile of coffee filters, not a heavy pile of dead swans—sorry, Sheldon and Amy, just my opinion.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:33 PM, Driad said:

When I read that Amy chooses a terrible wedding dress, I pictured the pink confection Kaylee in Firefly wanted so much.  Who knew it came in white!  But now that Sheldon has seen Amy's dress, doesn't that mean that she has to return it?

I don't think Sheldon and Amy are into silly superstitions.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, kili said:

That is what totally took me out of this episode. If Penny can politely accept that horrible painting and display it in her home without giving Amy a truth bomb, why would Penny feel the need to drop a truth bomb on that dress?

two separate situations.  A painting is something that hangs in your house.  A wedding dress is something you are wearing in front of a couple of hundred people.  

19 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Is a wedding dress something we need to be shocked over?  That is not a dress I would wear, but I feel like it fits Amy perfectly.  And, she should wear what she wants to wear.  Not what society thinks is pretty.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That is not a dress I would wear, but I feel like it fits Amy perfectly.  And, she should wear what she wants to wear. 

For me it was the stark contrast between the first two dresses she tried on compared to the third one.  I thought she looked so elegant in the other 2 dresses, so when she came out in the pile of swans dress - like Penny and Bernadette, my reaction was less than enthusiastic.  

• Love 2

Personally I think that if Amy really and truly considers Penny and Bernie to be good friends, then they should be able to say things like that a certain kind of clothing doesn't flatter her body type or that certain colors don't go together. Amy has made it clear That she does value their opinions and considers them to be well dressed and has solicited their input before. I think such things should be said gently and only when feedback is asked for but I don't think it's a horrible thing for it to be pointed out. However the time to do that was while they were in the bridal store and not after Amy purchased the dress.

• Love 3
On 4/27/2018 at 8:22 PM, shapeshifter said:

On 4/28/2018 at 11:49 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It might be better then trying to decide at the shop after trying on a bunch of dresses. With pictures, you can compare all the top looks at her leisure and without any pressure to make a decision on the spot.

I did this. I took pictures of my top 3 favorite dresses and then went back after a week and bought the one I wanted.

• Love 2

I was in a very nice restaurant a few weekends ago and a bridal party came in. The bride was staggering along trying to haul two massive armloads of full tulle skirt while yanking at her spaghetti straps to keep her backless gown from becoming frontless as well, mostly due to the weight of the completely sequined bodice. Seriously it would have repelled bullets.

Amy could have chosen worse.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 7

My daughter is quite busty and insisted on getting a strapless dress.  I knew it was a recipe for disaster but she loved the dress and there is only so much you can say.  What I did manage to do though was convince her to have a little bolero jacket made with part of the material from the train that she didn't want.  Like a lot of brides, I guess, she saw her reflection in the mirror but didn't stop to think about what would happen when she actually MOVED in the dress.  Luckily that won't be an issue for Amy :).

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Katy M said:
On 4/26/2018 at 8:33 PM, Driad said:

When I read that Amy chooses a terrible wedding dress, I pictured the pink confection Kaylee in Firefly wanted so much.  Who knew it came in white!  But now that Sheldon has seen Amy's dress, doesn't that mean that she has to return it?

I don't think Sheldon and Amy are into silly superstitions.

Nor do I, but some of their friends might have brought it up.

I was a bit disappointed that Sheldon didn't mention Kaylee's pink dress, because he is/was a big Firefly fan. IIRC he put it on the apartment schedule because he was sure it would run for years.

• Love 1

I thought that dress was (fittingly) very "Little House on the Prairie", so unsurprising Amy liked it. But Penny was right - it doesn't matter whether they like it, it's whether Amy (and Sheldon) like it

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, DkNNy79 said:

Sorry, but if someone asks my opinion I'm going to give them the truth.  I think that is being a true friend.  My friends know this and I would want my friends to reciprocate. 

At the end of the day, Amy is the bride and her opinion matters most.  If she likes the dress, she likes the dress and should stick with it. 

TOTALLY agree. Not that anybody's likely to solicit my opinion on any dress, but I think Penny handled it right when she said she didn't like the dress, but if Amy did, that was what mattered.

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, OtterMommy said:

it was surprising to see Amy come out in two strapless dresses (and showing her clavicles!)

I know! The hussy!

• Love 3

Years ago Penny helped Sheldon shop for a suit. He came out with a multi-ruflled tuxedo. It's totally in character that he would love Amy's ruffled and bedecked dress.

• Love 4

I just heard the best line from a dad who hated his daughter’s black wedding dress:  “I didn’t like the dress when you first came out, but you look so happy that I love you in this dress.”

(Yes, sometimes I watch Say Yes to the Dress.  I live with boys.  Lots of teenage boys.  Don’t judge.)

• Love 5