Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Reload

• Start Topic

That was excellent.

"He's a fucking bobblehead" (Syfy dubbed it "foolish" but I know what you said, Chrisjen)

Martian guy losing his shit when Bobbile casually walked in on the standoff.

Amos "shit, did I miss it" Hee

I finally really saw the Steven Strait appeal in this one. 

"This going to be very tedious if you remain this dim"  "What the hell kind of ship is this?" LOL at that whole convo with Chrisjen and Martian guy.  Also, Shohreh Aghdashloo was rocking that jumpsuit!

The Roci crew finally really coming together!  They let the Martians go and are being honest with each other, yay.

I like the way they're integrating Anna into the story.

Poor Katoa.  Jules-Pierre is back on the evil train.

• Love 13
(edited)

Great episode!

So why IS Alex still wearing a MCRN uniform?

Speaking of uniforms, Shohreh Aghdashloo wears the hell out of the Razorback flight suit.

Who else was expecting Anna’s wife to die? I know this show isn’t that predictable, but I was still worried for her.

LOVED the bit at the start with Drummer corralling the Nauvoo.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, marinw said:

Probably to maintain a bit of connection to Mars, his home planet given that he's on a ship with Earthers and Belters.

I admit that I'm a horribly glad that Mao's evil again.  That means he'll stay put on Io - at which point Holden, Chrisjen and the rest can rain some hellfire down on him.

Poor Anne, just when she thinks she's out, Chrisjen drags her back in.

• Love 5
(edited)

Such an intense episode! 

Liked the stand off with the three Martians, especially how Bobbi handled it. And poor Amos missed out on all the fighting! "shit, did I miss it?" said in a way that a kid would say after he missed the ice cream truck. 

Of course Chrisjen looks fabulous in a space suit. A true fashion icon can make anything work! I love her relationship with Bobbi, and her interactions with the crew is a blast. I especially love when she was snarking to the Martian guy, and Bobbi gave her a little "come on, do your thing!" gesture. The woman is persuasive. Also cracked up at her telling them that she might give them to Holden to space, and Holden was just kind of like "yeah, dont want to, but I will" and shrugged. It is nice to see that they try to help people, no matter who they are. I hope that helps them at some point. 

The Roci crew seems to be inching back to togetherness! We arent there yet, but it seems to be a bit less tense. Naomi cooking for everyone to cheer Alex up was adorable. And I felt bad for Alex throughout. He might not be officially Team Martian, and is more loyal to his crew, but he does have a real connection to Mars, the way all Martians do. That Martian loyalty really does get drilled in, doesn't it? 

"I cant imagine anyone doing that to another human being" "We clearly had different childhoods." Sometimes, I want to hear more details from Amos`s backstory...and sometimes I dont. It cant be any kind of pretty. 

Poor Anna was almost out! 

That proto molecule is the nightmare fuel that keeps on giving! Poor Kaota. Its too late for him. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

Oh God, that last scene. I think I actually gasped out loud....and these bastards are excited about it! Well, they will be until it's their time to die.

Did not call the Martian survivors regrouping and trying to take the ship. But I died laughing when Bobbie showed up and the other guy just about lost his shit. Then Amos coming in after, "Did I miss it?" 

Chrisjen is a master of her craft, I have to admit. Appeal to the "earther" in Jim to make him do what she needs. But did anyone catch the fact that she mentioned both Earth and Mars in her little speech, and didn't say boo about the belters? Naomi should have pointed out that no one is looking out for the well being of the belters, only Earth and Mars.

Oh and because it can't be said enough.....Fuck you Errinwright.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, nekilarose said:

I'm sure Chrisjen plans to.  Right up his ass.  With a rusty chainsaw.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I'm sure Chrisjen plans to.  Right up his ass.  With a rusty chainsaw.

If only for the fact that he forced her to be in close quarters with such dim people.....and the Roci crew!

I miss her colorful outfits, though.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, nekilarose said:

You know, when they were first promoting this show on SyFy they were tagging it as "Game of Thrones in Space." I dismissed that as mere hyperbole but they've actually managed to make Errinwright more despicable than fucking Cersei Lannister.

So, well done, show.

• Love 7
(edited)

I love this show (and the books upon which it is based) A LOT, especially because how well visualized it is.  I really liked the opening scenes, when the Nauvoo was being reclaimed. 

My only two quibbles:  (1)  More Drummer, please!

Spoiler

(2) I think they should recognize that Book Bobbi is much more physically imposing than Show Bobbie (although she is, of course, quite fit) and adapt the dialogue.  For example, when Bobbi said that Chrisjen was half her size (in the book, Bobbie is large and Chrisjen in quite small), that is not at all true in the show - I thought they could have adapted the dialogue to reference the age difference  rather than size.  In other words, instead of saying that about their sizes, Bobbi could have said that Chrspjen was double her age.  Or something.  Speaking of that :  What a great line, from Chrisjen wondering why Bobbi wasn't trained to bend others to her will.  So in character. 

I wonder what the Earth's population is at this point - it seems like 2 million may not be that great a percentage.  I do find the UN stuff the least interesting, maybe because it is closer to our current day reality, political maneuvering etc. 

Edited by saoirse
Added spoiler tags to book talk.
  • Love 3
(edited)

That was interesting filler. 

Spoiler

A complete jump from the book, in case anyone's interested -- those characters did not appear at all.  I think it would have been better if the woman was the aggressive, physical one, rather than the stereotype Big Black Guy.  But a fun diversion none-the-less.

Edited by saoirse
20 hours ago, mjc570 said:
Spoiler

When Bobbi said that Chrisjen was half her size (in the book, Bobbie is large and Chrisjen in quite small), that is not at all true in the show - I thought they could have adapted the dialogue to reference the age difference  rather than size.  In other words, instead of saying that about their sizes, Bobbi could have said that Chrspjen was double her age.  Or something.

Spoiler

I think it worked just fine.  Bobbie is taller than Chrisjen and definitely more built.  Saying Chrisjen is have her size is an expression.  We get the idea.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, marinw said:

Great episode!

Speaking of uniforms, Shohreh Aghdashloo wears the hell out of the Razorback flight suit.

Who else was expecting Anna’s wife to die? I know this show isn’t that predictable, but I was still worried for her.

LOVED the bit at the start with Drummer corralling the Nauvoo.

She did look good in that flight suit.

I was half expecting there to be an explosion at Anna's house - but the other thing I've been wondering - does Anna not even consider that her calls might be monitored? I don't know if they have been, but it seems like the first thing Errinwright would do.

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode - and man, when they pulled back the camera to reveal what the boy had been doing - that was awesome in a horribly graphic way. So the protomolecule likes to take things apart to study them. Interesting.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, nekilarose said:

But did anyone catch the fact that she mentioned both Earth and Mars in her little speech, and didn't say boo about the belters? Naomi should have pointed out that no one is looking out for the well being of the belters, only Earth and Mars.

I caught it and its that thinking that made Naomi do what she did.. The belt is always an afterthought... Something that's gonna be there to do grunt work and not make noise... And Naomi was tired of it... Even her shipmates can only see what she did as a betrayal and not something that can save the belt... I wish she didn't lie and I hope were almost done with everyone being cold to her... It seems to be thawing out and that's good. 

I get the feeling admiral souther isnt long for the world.. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I caught it and its that thinking that made Naomi do what she did.. The belt is always an afterthought... Something that's gonna be there to do grunt work and not make noise... And Naomi was tired of it... Even her shipmates can only see what she did as a betrayal and not something that can save the belt... I wish she didn't lie and I hope were almost done with everyone being cold to her... It seems to be thawing out and that's good. 

I get the feeling admiral souther isnt long for the world.. 

And how many people ate her dish and looked at it with disgust, "Belter food."  As if belters are beneath them.

• Love 10
(edited)

I enjoyed this much more than last week. Scheming and cussing Avarasala, Holden doing Holden heroics and Bobbie and Alex bonding over food - what's not to love? I think that was my favorite episode so far.

The opening with the salvaging of the Nauvoo was spectacular but what I really loved were all the different character arcs and beats: Bobbie slowly finding her way into the Roci crew and spelling out where her own loyalty resides; the look on Amos' face when Prax tossed that body aside like a bit of chunk and the brief conversation he had with Naomie that made clear that he's still not over what she's done - that was great work by Wes Chetham. Add his disappointment to have missed the 'fun' and he was easily the episode's MVP. The conversation between Anna and her wife was also great and really sold their relationship to me.

Jules Pierre Mao gets the award for 'Shortest Redemption Arc Ever'.

Spoiler

Some people complained that the show had been downplaying the body-horror of the books - that last scene (which was not in the books) might be the show trying to make amends *shudders*

Edited by saoirse
  • Love 10

Jules Pierre Mao "I was beginning to think that turning children into protomolecule creatures might have been a step too far but now that I see one making a jigsaw out of bloody human pieces i am convinced it's the right thing to do."

• Love 20

Makes sense to take something apart to learn how it works. 

Agadashloo is awesome and her relationship with Bobbi is icing on the cake.

Nice to see some others of the Killjoys cast getting work too.

• Love 2

I know this was recently brought up (after episode 3), but does anyone believe they have a good read on Errinwright's endgame? I feel like I have been paying super close attention to his motivations over the course of 2+ seasons, and I still don't have a (proto-)molecule of an idea why he's doing anything that he's doing.  And I also feel like this far into a series, we should know SOMETHING about the man -- he's the big bad and we know next-to-nothing about his personal life or backstory. HELP!

I am starting to compare Amos to Jared over on Silicon Valley: Both characters drop random bits of a potentially horrific backstory without going into detail.

1 hour ago, Kelda Feegle said:

Agadashloo is awesome and her relationship with Bobbi is icing on the cake.

She manages to drop F-Bombs elegantly.

• Love 3

I think that at his core, Errinwright believed he was doing the best for Earth; and eliminating Mars is what he thinks is best for Earth. I think that's why he originally got involved with the protomolecule conspiracy, as way to help Earth defeat Mars.  But when Eros started moving on its own, on a collision course with Earth, threatening everything his planet, he turned against Mao and confessed his involvement to Avarasala. But she wanted him to confess to everyone and accept punishment, so now I think he's mainly just trying to save himself by framing Avarasala for his crimes and having her killed.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, marinw said:

I am starting to compare Amos to Jared over on Silicon Valley: Both characters drop random bits of a potentially horrific backstory without going into detail.

She manages to drop F-Bombs elegantly.

Awesome comparison. I never would have put them together. The two shows occupy such different spaces in my head.

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, nekilarose said:

Chrisjen is a master of her craft, I have to admit. Appeal to the "earther" in Jim to make him do what she needs. But did anyone catch the fact that she mentioned both Earth and Mars in her little speech, and didn't say boo about the belters? Naomi should have pointed out that no one is looking out for the well being of the belters, only Earth and Mars.

In this instance leaving out the Belt wasn't exactly a slight since she talked about Earth and Mars ending a smoking rubble if Errinwright is left in charge. This might be the first time in human history where living in the Belt could be seen as an advantage. But the general mindset is of course that the Belt doesn't matter - no arguing there. The Martians' disapproval of Belter food was another reminder of that. Though in fairness it seems that that red kibble wasn't a culinary delight. I'm sure Alex would not have dissed it if it had been any good. But the scene between him and Naomie when she offered to cook was still sweet. Looks like he's the first one on the Roci who's willing to forgive her. Both Amos and Holden were still giving her the cold shoulder treatment.

And I just realized how awesome they handled Bobbie - after claiming 'I don't usually solve problems with my people skills' she walks right into a Mexican standoff and talks the most volatile gunslinger down.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 10
(edited)
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

So the protomolecule likes to take things apart to study them. Interesting.

We saw that previously with the UNS Arboghast.

10 hours ago, MissLucas said:
Spoiler

Some people complained that the show had been downplaying the body-horror of the books - that last scene (which was not in the books) might be the show trying to make amends *shudders*

Spoiler

Yikes, yes!

10 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

Jules Pierre Mao "I was beginning to think that turning children into protomolecule creatures might have been a step too far but now that I see one making a jigsaw out of bloody human pieces i am convinced it's the right thing to do."

LOL and truth!

Edited by saoirse
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, marinw said:

I was too! The tone of the scene was just too loving, it set my alarm bells off. :D
But in my rational brain I thought it more likely that the writers wanted to make the message from Chrisjen more impactfull once it came.

6 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

His changes of mind is giving me whiplash. I did like his short relationship with Mei though. It seems he thinks he's good at handling children but really he's terrible. Don't let the child in to see gross horrifying experiments! I bet if asked he'd say he was a good father and all his children would say otherwise.

Poor Naomi, I felt bad for her this episode. But on the other hand she made her choice, putting the good of the Belt before relationship with the crew. If I were here I think I´d leave and go and join Fred. She already choose him over them after all, she can't take it back. I do hope she stays though, and that the guys forgive her fully. Amos will probably never see her the same way again, but maybe their new relationship can be better.

We finally got to see the ship gym! That's the first time right? I knew it had to be there considering Amos and Holden :D
Cas Anvar is wearing extra stuffing by the way. At least I was told so in a season two commentary.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Holmbo said:

Poor Naomi, I felt bad for her this episode. But on the other hand she made her choice, putting the good of the Belt before relationship with the crew. If I were here I think I´d leave and go and join Fred. She already choose him over them after all, she can't take it back. I do hope she stays though, and that the guys forgive her fully. Amos will probably never see her the same way again, but maybe their new relationship can be better.

I think that's why Alex is the first to soften up to her... He still has tons of live for Mars in some level he gets it in a way that Holden( who doesn't seem too attached to earth or his hippie family)  or Amos ( who's upbringing I can only guess was horrible and has no attachments to anywhere)  don't... They can only see the personal betrayal of a crewmate,  Lover (Holden)  and Well whatever u wanna call what Amos had with Naomi

• Love 3

While the thing with Drummer taking over the Nauvoo was interesting, it felt like plot filler - Fred Johnson dispatching her and then a shot of her coming back and saying "I brought the Nauvoo" would have pretty much achieved the same thing. It's also sort of hard to believe that none of the Belters and miners went after the Nauvoo for salvage - "oh, look, here is a perfectly modern ship filled with lots of good stuff just floating around here on the "high seas" - I think I shall take what I need."

5 minutes ago, WildPlum said:

While the thing with Drummer taking over the Nauvoo was interesting, it felt like plot filler - Fred Johnson dispatching her and then a shot of her coming back and saying "I brought the Nauvoo" would have pretty much achieved the same thing. It's also sort of hard to believe that none of the Belters and miners went after the Nauvoo for salvage - "oh, look, here is a perfectly modern ship filled with lots of good stuff just floating around here on the "high seas" - I think I shall take what I need."

I'm not sure a lot of time has passed, and a lot of things have been going on. But yeah, I'd imagine scavengers would go there.

I loved the looks Drummer gave those idealized paintings of life on Earth - given that she's never seen anything like that in person (one assumes).

I didn't feel like it was filler though, just a set up for something coming up. I wonder how large it is compared to the stations in the belt. How many of the Belters could live on it. A manueverable home might be better for people who work the asteroids, etc. Not to mention, it gives them a way to get out of, and maybe into, the action.

Spoiler tags have been added to references to the books; let's please keep the discussion to the show episode, and take book discussion to the Book Talk topics; or for very brief references, please use spoiler tags. Thank you!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

In this instance leaving out the Belt wasn't exactly a slight since she talked about Earth and Mars ending a smoking rubble if Errinwright is left in charge.

That and the fact that so far, The Belt is not involved in this shooting war.  Earth & mars are shooting at each other, ever since Errinwright fenagled Earth to shoot at the five Martian platforms.  

2 hours ago, WildPlum said:

It's also sort of hard to believe that none of the Belters and miners went after the Nauvoo for salvage

Salvage law would also put paid to any claims that the Rocinante was "stolen", not so?

I cannot love the Roci crew + Bobbie + Avasarala any more. They are the perfect cast. No other cast of characters will ever live up to this one. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

And I just realized how awesome they handled Bobbie - after claiming 'I don't usually solve problems with my people skills' she walks right into a Mexican standoff and talks the most volatile gunslinger down.

I'm becoming more and more impressed with Frankie Adams as an actor.  She can be so over the top as the elite gunny marine, but she does have people skills.  I'm enjoying that they're now writing lil strategy-busllshit-session scenes between Draper and Avasarala. 

But what kills me is the occasional poignant subtlety of her facial expressions.  In her first scene with Theo when he asks her to rough him up a little before stuffing him into the storage pod, she just gives this tiny little, "Sure, why not I'm into it" shrug before they cut away.  And even more subtle was the nearly blank expression of disdain and disgust upon her first forkfull of red kibble., as if her face had been frozen in place by the stuff.  I died laughing. 

• Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, WildPlum said:

Depending on where Eros was at the time, the Nauvoo could be very very far away from everything going on.  I got the impression that the Nauvoo was traveling away from Earth and Mars and all of the excitement.  I don’t know who would have come across it to salvage anything. 

Edited by Ziggy
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, WildPlum said:

Wasn't the Nauvoo used to try to reroute a planet full of protomolecule? I think it has some role to play in the future. I don't see a lot of belters with the fuel to burn chasing after the Nauvoo being willing to piss off Fred Johnson. Also, I'm sure future Space Mormons! are just as litigious as their current time counterparts, who wants to be sued into perpetuity for stealing an extra door handle off the Nauvoo? 

I can totally see Drummer being done with this Alpha Macho bullshit and bringing the Nauvoo back only to evac all her Belters and leave Fred Johnson and whats his face sitting alone with a canister of protomolecule between them going 'what now?'

I didn't know why Naomi was defensive about her offer to cook until I saw how everyone looked at her food with utter disdain. How rude, honestly. Makes me love Alex more that he powered through something he clearly hated while making sure to list all it's good qualities. Belter prejudice is so disgustingly familiar and deep-rooted. It even reflects in how the crew continues to treat her like total garbage and yet depend on her to keep fixing things that prevent them from dying. If she really wanted that ship on Tycho, your asses would already be there and there wouldn't be shit you could do to stop her. But, wah wah Amos.

Can these evil nerds get a morally questionable linguist in here to start on communications with the protomolecule? I am so over scene after scene of The Ebil Nerds trying to turn a sentient hive mind into a railgun. The protomolecule is clearly trying to figure out how you stupid organics work, please assist! So it stops ripping living bits apart because it's never heard of a necropsy lab!

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

She did look good in that flight suit.

I swear, her superpower is looking amazing at all times. Even when she doesn't have access to her normal, fabulous, elaborate wardrobe, she still manages to make anything she wears look like high fashion. Its like how she can make swearing sound like sweet, sweet poetry, or endless mic drops. 

On the opposite end of the scale, I continue to be haunted by that kid glowing blue, while tearing about an entire body. So, freaking creepy. And, yeah, I know that seeing that horror show would convince me that what I was doing was on the up and up!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Holmbo said:

I bet if asked he'd say he was a good father and all his children would say otherwise.

I think he only had the one child and all she's saying is "burbke burble boop"!

7 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

whatever u wanna call what Amos had with Naomi

"Moral compass" works best.  That's why he feels the betrayal even deeper than Holden.  He looked to Naomi to show him right from wrong, so if she's wrong, what does he do.  That's why he latched onto Prax so fast -- he found a new (and perhaps better) moral compass.

4 hours ago, saoirse said:

Spoiler tags have been added to references to the books; let's please keep the discussion to the show episode, and take book discussion to the Book Talk topics; or for very brief references, please use spoiler tags. Thank you!

Sorry for my part.

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I cannot love the Roci crew + Bobbie + Avasarala any more. They are the perfect cast. No other cast of characters will ever live up to this one. 

Spoiler

We haven't really met Souther yet.

1 hour ago, Kelda Feegle said:

Pretty sure that no meal called 'kibble' can be good.

Even if it comes with bits!  (Maybe more-so if it comes with bits!)

• Love 2

I see someone in the casting department really had Killjoys on their mind, with both Kelly McCormack (Zepher) and Atticus Mitchell (Pippin) showing up as two of the Martian soldiers.  I approve of this and would be fine if everyone from that show showed up at one point or another (not to mention the cast from the dearly departed Dark Matter.  Sniff!)

A bit of a fillerish one at first, but I liked how it showed the divide that is still happening between all of the factions (Earth, Mars, Belters), and how it ended with Chrisjen convincing the one solider to get the video of Sadavir to his superior, and they get it to Anna.  And Bobbie being awesome by talking everyone down from a full-fledge fight.  Although Amos certainly looked disappointed that he missed the party.  I like how Holden even used him as threat during the face-off.  He's like Team Rocinate's version of the Hulk.  Soldiers:  "We have guns!"  Holden:  "Well, we have an Amos!"

The opening act seemed mainly there to show the awesome visual effects, but I won't complain over getting to see Drummer again!

Never knew how much I would love the pairing of Bobbie and food, but between the bit with the cucumber sandwiches last season and her face when she was eating Naomi's kibble, it's become my new ship.  I'm loving how they're letting Frankie Adams be more funny lately because she's got good comedic timing.

Well, Jules-Pierre Mao sure went from "Experimenting on children is bad!" to "Well, it's working now, so never mind!" real damn quick.  There wasn't even a time to call it a Redemption Tour.  More like a Redemption Pitstop or Redemption Changing Lanes.

I love how the show has just gone full-blown "Sadvair evilly drinking scotch" now with the character, but damn, if Shawn Doyle isn't making it fun to watch.

Am I detecting a little bit of the ice between Holden and Naomi thawing?  It's a tale as old as time: have a big fight, grow distant, but then when one's life is put in danger, a brief spark is reignited!  Question is will it be enough?

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

I can see a high-end restaurant on Earth appropriating this dish and marketing it as fancy and expensive “Ethnic” food.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, rozen said:

Wasn't the Nauvoo used to try to reroute a planet full of protomolecule?

They tried to smash it into Eros to change the asteroid's path, but the protomolecule managed to serpentine.  I guess the Nauvoo just kept on going.  But speaking of Drummer, man, you could cut yourself on her cheekbones.  Gorgeous lady.

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I swear, her superpower is looking amazing at all times. Even when she doesn't have access to her normal, fabulous, elaborate wardrobe, she still manages to make anything she wears look like high fashion. Its like how she can make swearing sound like sweet, sweet poetry, or endless mic drops. 

Love this.

6 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I think he only had the one child and all she's saying is "burbke burble boop"!

I think it was the first episode this season (?) Sadavir says something about knowing where his children live, meaning to use them as a threat.  So there is at least one other, depending on whether or not he knows about Julie.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, jhlipton said:
9 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

Even if it comes with bits!  (Maybe more-so if it comes with bits!)

I don't know, my SOS (shit on a shingle) is pretty darned tasty. So name isn't everything.

To continue on the food theme. For me, the filler in a show is like the filling in a chocolate or cupcake - the tasty bit that enhances the taste of the food.

• Love 1
On 5/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, mjc570 said:

I wonder what the Earth's population is at this point - it seems like 2 million may not be that great a percentage.  I do find the UN stuff the least interesting, maybe because it is closer to our current day reality, political maneuvering etc. 

On September 11, 2001, the USA lost not quite 3,000 people out of a population of a little over 300 million and look where that's got us.  Singular events can have huge reprecussions.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Not even one that has bacon? It's Bacon!!!!!

wel... maybe...

8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

not to mention the cast from the dearly departed Dark Matter. 

Am I detecting a little bit of the ice between Holden and Naomi thawing?  It's a tale as old as time: have a big fight, grow distant, but then when one's life is put in danger, a brief spark is reignited!  Question is will it be enough?

Melissa O'Neil (Two / Portia) has a small recurring role on iZombie.

In this case, it wasn't Holden or Naomi's life that was in danger, it's that Holden is still the Big Damn Hero that Naomi loves.

5 hours ago, Haleth said:

I think it was the first episode this season (?) Sadavir says something about knowing where his children live, meaning to use them as a threat.  So there is at least one other, depending on whether or not he knows about Julie.

OK, thanks.

9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

With the crew and Naomi you have a few "levels" of offense.  And Prax doesn't completely count as crew for this purpose.  With Prax, if he finds his daughter, he leaves with her and they go live somewhere else that has a lot of plants.

For Alex, Naomi was part of the crew, the crew made a decision and she unilaterally went against that decision, breaking faith with the rest.  However, he gets her love of the Belt because of his own love of Mars and Naomi was the one who stood with him in wanting to rescue the Martian trooper (Bobbie and Chrisjen), so he's pretty much forgiven her at this point.

With James, they were sleeping together and in a relationship, so she didn't just betray the crew, she betrayed their relationship.  However, he's angry with her because she hurt him because he loves her.  He still loves her and he'll probably come full circle and forgive her in a couple episode.  And they'll likely be sleeping together again, too.

Amos is different.  When Naomi did what she did she took from him something he needs desperately - his external moral compass.  Amos knows his brain/soul is messed up.  He relied on Naomi to be his moral "True North" and that went completely south.  Amos, despite his situation, really wants to be a good person.  And Naomi tore that away from him.  Until that situation gets resolved, he's not going to forgive her.  Hopefully we might see a different moral compass for him, perhaps Bobbie.

• Love 6

The opening scene, with Drummer looking like an absolute boss as she led the salvage operation for the Nauvoo, was fantastic. I love that the writers and VFX guys for this show so obviously think about how things move in space, the scale and speed and lack of resistance.

I liked that the two ex-military guys, Holden and Alex, were the ones who were least happy about salvaging from dead warships. Amos didn't care, and Naomi seemed more to empathise with Alex, but she's a Belter, which means she is eminently practical. And, of course, Bobbie flips out when she sees what they're doing.

It was almost painful to see Naomi reaching out, and showing that vulnerability... until she got a couple of positive responses. I like the way Dominique Tipper is playing her so far this season: always walking on eggshells, hating being ignored, but afraid of the response she thinks she'll get if she pushes.

And I like Holden a lot, as a guy who really wants to stay out of all the war and politics, but knows he has to do something. His conscience just won't let him stand aside for long. And the same goes for Naomi. He wants to be mad at her, but he can only keep it up for so long. Because he does love, but also, I think, because he knows she had a valid point.

The Martian Navy survivors were so ridiculously young, both in looks and attitude. It was a fairly subtle way of lampshading how naive, purist and simple-minded they were, in comparison to the mixed, jaded crew of the Roci. I liked how quickly the guy gave up when he saw Bobbie's Marine gear. And I liked the actress playing the woman. She had something of a young Daryl Hannah look to her.

Avasarala looked very Mass Effect in the Razorback flight-suit. It is a good look, although not really practical... but then, her outfits never have been. And I'm still enjoying seeing her so out of sorts, in an unfamiliar environment and cut off from any ability to influence what's going on.

The stuff on Earth has interesting themes, but Elizabeth Mitchell and the actor playing the Secretary-General are too dry for me. But, after listening to the latest episode of Pod Save the World, with Ronan Farrow talking about how the US has abandoned diplomacy for the sake of military solutions, it felt particularly timely.

The hybrid boy was a cool opportunity to see some version of the Protomolecule's 'thought process'. At least, a humanised version of it. And finally! Some of the body-horror that the Protomolecule perpetrated all the time in the books.

• Love 3