Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E21: Aftermath

Two little parts I loved were the staff’s reaction when they realized that Adam worked at the “nice” Petsmart, and Bo and Cheyenne’s Little Bitch onesie. Amy: “But what if it’s a boy...” 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Nobody could tell she was pregnant. TV shows have been hiding pregnancies for years. Elinor Donahue - the oldest teenage daughter on Father Knows Best was pregnant while working on the show. What a scandal that would have been if they had to show the teenage daughter as being pregnant back in the 50s or 60s.  Barbara Eden was pregnant in season one of I Dream of Jeannie. I think both Phylicia Rashād and Lisa Bonet were pregnant at the same time while on the Cosby show. Either one could have been written in, but they weren't. Also Gina Bellman on Leverage. They just showed her from the neck up on a monitor once in a while.

I like seeing old episodes of Seinfeld and figuring out if Julia Louis Dreyfus is pregnant, like if she's carrying an enormous purse.

11 hours ago, janie jones said:

I like seeing old episodes of Seinfeld and figuring out if Julia Louis Dreyfus is pregnant, like if she's carrying an enormous purse.

There was an episode of The Nanny where they actually made jokes about the assistant hiding behind things. 

• Love 3

I'm prepared to face the wrath here and admit I'm loving everything about the Jonah and Amy story line, including her sudden pregnancy. I loved how real their fight felt this episode - TV fights are usually so clean and well-spoken, it was nice to see something that felt raw and emotional.

And it isn't as if I've been shipping Jonamy hard from the start or anything.

My laugh ratio has been just as high as ever during these episodes.

The only thing missing is the opportunity to see Tate's reaction to the baby.

I'm all in wherever the show takes me. They've earned that at this point.

• Love 7

I'm with you. I'm a sucker for a will they won't they relationship anyway but I really like Amy and Jonah. And I don't actually really have a problem with the pregnancy storyline. It's a workplace comedy so I don't see the baby coming in to play very much. I have two kids and yeah sometimes things come up that affect work but if you just watch my everyday work life, my kids don't really affect it all that often. I'm thinking they put it out there as a potential roadblock but I'm hoping that they're going to have Jonah said he doesn't care and they'll end up together in the finale.

• Love 5
(edited)

OMG! What a great idea! Sandra can report them because she has "Autobiographical memory". It would be hilarious! Love it!

Edited by YoYo
On 4/27/2018 at 11:35 AM, possibilities said:

The real world outcome of this week's "truth bombs" would be that Amy would get an abortion, go back to school, and start really making changes. No idea if that's where the show is headed, or how they'd make it funny, but that's what I think would happen if this wasn't TV.

Jonah would break up with Kelly (which he did) and face his own BS, as well (which we don't know yet if he will). It's true he was pining for Amy while she was married, but if he'd made a move then, that wouldn't have been right. And he didn't get involved with Kelly until it was clear that Amy was not open to being with him; he was trying to move on, which wasn't a bad idea in theory. But he was really awful to Kelly, and she really didn't deserve it. So he was right about Amy, but he also has issues of his own.

What I liked about the fight is that I think it got everything into the open, finally. They were blatantly flirting with each other, everyone on staff could see it and had been commenting on it, they had already kissed (twice!-- once during the tornado), it wasn't like having a conversation was going to somehow disrupt something that was genuinely under control.

I hope they start next week's episode where this one left off, with Kelly dropping her own truth bombs on Jonah, and then show her going on a wonderful "free at last" sex-romance-fun bender, where she finally gets her due. I don't want her to be a Sandra-style sad sack or a bitter and lonely vindictive character, which is usually what tv shows do with women in this situation.

But I really don't know how they salvage the Amy or Jonah parts of this. I think they've established their friendship and attraction very credibly, and that fight was also very real. But the triangle stuff has really made them both, and their relationship, toxic and hard to root for. So I guess we wait and see if they wrote themselves into a corner they can't get out of, or if they actually have a decent plan. I really think writing in the pregnancy was a mistake.

I hated Glenn forcing her to announce it at the staff meeting, also. At some point, Glenn's lack of boundaries stopped being amusing to me. I do like how he and Dina seem to be getting more in sync all season, though. In some ways, they are total opposites, so their rapport has become funny to me, as the season has developed it.

I'm so glad Cheyenne is back. After they sidelined her for a few episodes, I was worried they were phasing her out.

Yeah. The pregnancy was a mistake. Anyway, WTH! Why after all of these years she would stop using some sort of protection? She talks about Cheyenne making poor choices. This was a very bad one. I'm not liking it.

• Love 1

I kind of wish they did not make it Adam's baby. If they had made it a one night stand or the soda delivery guy, Jonah could step in and be a dad. If it is Adam they are going to have to rewrite his character because he might have had quirks like his career path but he seemed like a decent dad to their daughter. Adam could be upset about the timing, the money, but he doesn't seem like someone who would let another man raise his baby , plus what would their daughter think?

In thinking of possible ways to work around it, not to sound morbid but they could kill off Adam? like by a drunk driver or something out of the blue. Then Amy would be a single mom with 2 kids and then Jonah could decide to step in.

Did we ever get the reason that Kelly worked at Cloud 9. I just remember her popping up one episode. It just seems like a cute perky women like Kelly could make more money and have no problems working selling cell phones or in some sort of job that has commissions but does not require a degree (I'm just assuming she does not have a degree).  Also has Jonah brought up this season if he is trying to either find work outside of cloud 9 or if he plans on trying to move up into management or is his just settling into this job for life. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 27/04/2018 at 5:49 PM, tennisgurl said:

Why are they stretching this out forever? Why are they adding in this pregnancy stuff just to put off Jonah/Amy from becoming a thing? Its so pointless, and its not interesting anymore, its just frustrating. I like Amy/Jonah, and they've done a good job of setting up their friendship and attraction, but this is making me way less interested. And that break up Jonah gave Kelly was brutal

Jonah was harsh with Amy at the end, but he wasn't really wrong. Amy loves to be the martyr, and even when people want to help her, she wont take it because she wants to be the long suffering hero. 

The inappropriate puppet cleaning and the #1 mom underwear are why I love the background stuff in this show so much.  

I genuinely love the fact that all of the characters have flaws, and being well-rounded is clearly more important to the writers than perfect likeability. Jonah has consistently been portrayed as  guy who will hurt others if it means he gets to avoid giving bad news, and he totally mistreated Kelly because of it. He is also caring and well-meaning and would jump through fire for Amy. Amy has always been one of the popular people and is scared of that changing but dismissive of those who aren't, like Sandra.  She is also assertive, self-sacrificing and in knots about the failure of her marriage and ambition and so understandably self-sabotages early sprouts of romance with Jonah because of guilt. Which makes the eventual unbottling so intense. All the secondary (and an impressive proportion of fringe) characters also have multiple dimensions and the writers keep the heart without much sentimentality by the superb mix of of verbal and visual comedy. But what bonds me most to this show is the layered characters and the grounding in social reality. I look forward to seeing where they take us for another 3 years.

Edited by Circelily
  • Love 4