Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: Chapter Thirty-Two: Prisoners

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Snookums said:

OOHHHH MY GOD YOU GUYS

Okay, so, my TV died on Wednesday so we had to order a new one, which is this enormous thing that's now looming in the corner of our living room (I've named it Monolith) and so I wasn't able to watch this until now! I missed you all!

Riverdale gonna Riverdale, especially at the funeral of a tragically and horribly murdered teenager! There was barely any indication that Midge even knew Cheryl and her gang of Furies/Vixens, let alone was on the squad, but hey, don't let that stop you and your perfectly clad chorus, Cheryl. Also, always threaten an adult man with a gun. (I adore how Sheriff Keller actually has to take this raving lunatic seriously because all the adults in town are totally ineffectual at best while the teenagers run around boning and committing/solving murders.)

The Lodges try to be all ice-hearted about the re-emergence of the BH but Ronnie steps in and says nah, I'm sick of this and am about to school you both. And oh my, she does. Holy SHIT. While Hermione's running around pretending that anybody in the entire world could still possibly care about this election (hell, even Fred seems to have forgotten the whole thing) she's just preemptively shutting down Archie (not that it worked) and trying to be above it all.

But luckily, there is one, and only one, strong and true thread running through Riverdale, come what may with writing, ships, or what have you--Archie being a complete and total dunderhead. Now, I will grant that he's panicking about his dad, and for good reason--the show actually has taken the trouble to give him something to hang that dunce cap on--but DUDE. When you're suddenly re-enacting Halloween that's not the time to go check out the janitor's old house! Of course, I doubt he was expecting Nick St. Jackoff and his idiot buddies to try their little blanket party--I sure as hell wasn't. 

The only good thing about that entire storyline was Ronnie just getting her Mafia Bitch on. She tells her folks but you can see she's expecting them to not do anything. And while Hiram does point out that if he pays the ransom Veronica's probably the next target, she wasn't in the room to hear it. Too busy crackin' safes, making sleazy Indecent Proposal hookup agreements with Nick (WHO BY THE WAY WAS NOT LIMPING IN ANY OF HIS SCENES, AT ALL), drugging his ass, and cool as cucumber taking his folks for the same mill he tried to squeeze out of her!

Unfortunately that led to one of the more egregious plot/character misfires in a season filled with them.

V out and out confronts her folks with the fact that not only did she have to rescue Archie and managed to make a million bucks doing it, she, AND HE, both know that the Dreadful Hs didn't do jack shit about getting him back, at all. She insinuates that Archie is not only waiting to speak of this to Hiram, but he's pissed about it, and rightly so!

So what do we get? Archie sheds all previous dunderheadery to really reach new heights on the idiot scale when apparently all he took away from this experience was the vague notion of "making his bones" in order to impress Hiram and get rid of the Black Hood! Cripes, KJ Apa must be pulling his hair out every time he reads his sides lately. They're trying to combine his need for Hiram's approval with his obsession, but it hasn't worked all season and it's not working now! I was waiting for Hiram to patiently explain that you make your bones by killing an enemy of the Mob family you're affiliated with, not some rando and how even Nick St. Fucking  Clair is clear on this concept, but I guess he was too gobsmacked by this turn of events to say anything.

( Also wondering if Fred noticed Archie was missing/came home late and quite beaten up. Your Family Man Mayor, folks!)

ANYWAY. Betty is doing a somewhat better job incorporating various ridiculous things into one story over at her place. Finally the Coopers catch on that Chic is a big fat liar (which, didn't the DNA prove that weeks ago? Am I high?) and also a nutjob with a terrible temper who kills his roommates, so when the BH conveniently calls her up and offers her an internship, two birds with one stone time, right? I personally think the whole setup about her dad being the Hood is a misdirection--I'm still betting on Sheriff Heller. But we'll find out soon enough, I hope.

Rantings aside, I really have to give it to the actors in this one; they carried a truly absurd story over the finish line like champs. Both Camila and Lili did superlative jobs at showing their dark sides (Camila with her smooth face projecting sweet menace, Lili radiating her grim determination--she should change her ringtone from Lollipop to You Don't Know Me) and even KJ got a great line read in when St. Clair is smarming about the hotel setup and he says "I'll kill you." When Nick says I bet you would I was all ME TOO, GUY. Plus, his goofy, frantic running and busting down the door; he's like a Great Dane puppy. You can really believe his level of devotion to Ronnie. It's not his fault that the whole mobster story is written so that he can't find any kind of motivation other than idiocy.

All wearing mourning uniforms with black pompoms.

Since Riverdale is apparently located next to Narnia, where it is always winter but never Christmas (seriously, the weather was all over the place AGAIN. Is it ever going to be actual spring?) that's probably true!

"Like the Furies of ancient Greek Myth, we will demand blood vengeance from the 6:15 to Tacoma!"

LOL I chuckled at your recap/Observations! You should do it every week. Cheryl and the Vixen's having Black Cheerleader outfits was so extra but Fantastic lol. That's So Cheryl!!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/26/2018 at 5:05 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

I just still find it odd that Archie doesn’t care that Hiram wasn’t planning to pay the St. Clair’s any money for him. I’m assuming he knows since he was in the room when Veronica called nicks parents so he knows that they never got a call from The Lodges about pymebt. And Archie is just like whatever about it all and still willing to be a baby monster. 

I don’t think Archie cares about Hiram that much on a personal level, I think he admires his position and strength, he sees Hiram as this person in power who hasn’t been attacked and not even jail could stop. Archie wants to be more like him because he thinks he himself is weak, it’s his moment of weakness in the diner with The Black Hood and his PTSD is triggered by the return and hes now doubling down with Hiram and the Mob life. Archie wants to be strong, be a force that could protect his friends and family from the Black Hood, he just chose the wrong person to model himself after. It all goes back to the Hiram/Archie convo in Ep 3. Hiram gives Archie advice to go forward and be strong and protect Riverdale, and since Fred had been “struck down” by being shot, he’s not holding Archie back enough. Which is how I gues I see this storyline from Archie’s POV. 

Edited by TaylorBruh25
  • Love 2
On 4/25/2018 at 8:27 PM, SeanC said:

Ah, Nick, you were so close to succeeding, except for the part where you were a total dumbass (incidentally, the actor plays a nice boyfriend character in Blockers, which was quite a change of pace).

On 4/25/2018 at 8:42 PM, Sonoma said:

I actually really like Graham Phillips and think he has great chemistry with Camila, so I'm bummed the potential of Nick being an actual rival for Archie is ruined. Plus, he's a character with a direct connection to Veronica's former life in Manhattan. I think exploring that part of her would really flesh out the character more. Maybe someone else from her past will make an appearance. Maybe Nick has a twin! Dun dun dun!

Madchen was awesome. And ugh I know, I have to say it again-- I really love how Cole and Lili perform together. Cole gets hammy but it works for Jughead the extra emo Serpentbaby, and Lili somehow grounds him with Betty. I'm sure it's real life chemistry spilling over but it's fun to watch.

Oh man, all new Riverdale tomorrow, and I realized I hadn't even commented on last week's here yet! I think it's because I didn't watch week's episode live like I usually do (had to watch game 7 of the Bruins/Maple Leafs series - what kind of Canadian would I be if I watched Riverdale over that, despite all of the maple/poutine in Riverdale?), As always, loved reading all of your posts about the episode! I don't have much to add, except on the posts above...

I really want to see Blockers, and now that I know Graham Phillips is in it, even moreso! He also plays a super nice guy in the movie Staten Island Summer. I agree that he and Camila have fantastic chemistry. And I hope Nick keeps popping up, because I think Graham is doing a great job in this role. Also. he looked hella good this episode. Just saying. 

I think Cole gets extremely hammy at certain points intentionally, and I notice it's usually when the lines/storylines are a little ridiculous. It's like he's acknowledging the campiness of this show, and his over the top line deliveries often make me laugh. Not sure if that's his intention, but I appreciate it. He also knows when to pull it back, and deliver a more nuanced performance (usually during Bughead scenes or FP/Jughead scenes). 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sonoma said:

Holy Hell and here I thought I was the only one who saw Staten Island Summer! Haha! Yes, Graham played a really nice kid and I thought he was adorable in it.

Cole does crank up the ham. He's very vocal about playing up the ridiculous and camp. He plays Jughead tongue firmly in cheek for the most part and saves the nuance and softer layers for his scenes with Betty and FP. Lili and Skeet do so well with him in those scenes.

The actors are fully aware they are playing characters in a ridiculously campy show who take themselves very seriously. This is why they have a great time with it. ThIs is why I love it! I cackled at Jughead yelling "IMPOSTER!", pointed finger and all. 

I lovex graham in the good wife, he was such a cute kid...

Eugh... those hammy scenes are such eye rollers mwahaha... getting used to them and I know thats like a signature of sorts... and yeah thay "imposter" thing... lol lmao... typical jug! 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, AdorkableSars said:

Oh man, all new Riverdale tomorrow, and I realized I hadn't even commented on last week's here yet! I think it's because I didn't watch week's episode live like I usually do (had to watch game 7 of the Bruins/Maple Leafs series - what kind of Canadian would I be if I watched Riverdale over that, despite all of the maple/poutine in Riverdale?), As always, loved reading all of your posts about the episode! I don't have much to add, except on the posts above...

I really want to see Blockers, and now that I know Graham Phillips is in it, even moreso! He also plays a super nice guy in the movie Staten Island Summer. I agree that he and Camila have fantastic chemistry. And I hope Nick keeps popping up, because I think Graham is doing a great job in this role. Also. he looked hella good this episode. Just saying. 

I think Cole gets extremely hammy at certain points intentionally, and I notice it's usually when the lines/storylines are a little ridiculous. It's like he's acknowledging the campiness of this show, and his over the top line deliveries often make me laugh. Not sure if that's his intention, but I appreciate it. He also knows when to pull it back, and deliver a more nuanced performance (usually during Bughead scenes or FP/Jughead scenes). 

I think this show is at its best with the FP/Jug stuff, along with Archie/Fred & Betty/Alice. The kids/parents scenes really shine the most IMO, except the Lodges, they’re not bad but not even close to what I see in the other main families. 

• Love 2

I wanted to say that I loved how Veronica took matters in her own hands, I love it when she is being her resourceful and clever self! And the Veronica and Archie scenes were sweet, I do love how Archie was going to rescue Veronica and when he came she already had saved herself. But she can play her parents as well, she is not afraid of their reactions but I do wonder if her parents will always let everything slide. They will try and control her.

Nick St. Clair as much of a scumbag he is, he is the most consistent character of the show but that is probably because his role as a villain is clear and he is not in any way redeemable. The plot seemed a bit random though. On another note, any The Good Wife viewers who were thinking, "Peter and Alicia would be so, so, so disappointed and horrified with you!", lol. Good the actor's character on The Good Wife was not like this.

And Betty... I don't know. Yes, she should not have delivered Chic to the Black Hood and while I understood she was also scared and gave Chic a head start, it was still such a odd choice to make. She had the time to shoot the Black Hood, but also Betty may have wondering if he was the real BH (as she heard Archie's theory), Betty has no experience of using a gun and the BH could have been quicker and shot her, and what if she had missed? She could have called the police, but remember the last time when the BH threatened to harm the people she loves if she called the police? She may be afraid for him to do that again. But yeah, it was... *dark*.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Ruby Red said:

I wanted to say that I loved how Veronica took matters in her own hands, I love it when she is being her resourceful and clever self! And the Veronica and Archie scenes were sweet, I do love how Archie was going to rescue Veronica and when he came she already had saved herself. But she can play her parents as well, she is not afraid of their reactions but I do wonder if her parents will always let everything slide. They will try and control her.

So true. I am glad Veronica didn't need to be rescued. Girl can take care of herself. I just hope she gets away from her toxic parents soon. I would like her (and Archie) much better if they weren't being dragged into the Lodge family business.

30 minutes ago, Ruby Red said:

And Betty... I don't know. Yes, she should not have delivered Chic to the Black Hood and while I understood she was also scared and gave Chic a head start, it was still such a odd choice to make.

I think she thought she had no other options. They couldn't just let him go or he would never leave them alone. They couldn't turn him in or he would drag them all down with him. I'm wondering, too, if part of her was thinking that if she gave BH this "sacrifice" maybe he would leave her friends alone? Haha, fat chance, but who knows what she was thinking. At least it was more pro-active than Baby Serpent calling him names and hitting him. I want to still like Jug but the show is making it so hard. He just comes across as an ineffectual little poser.

Hmmm, interesting. Both Archie and Jughead are going all male violence will save us all and seem to be just running around in circles while their women are getting shit done!

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

So true. I am glad Veronica didn't need to be rescued. Girl can take care of herself. I just hope she gets away from her toxic parents soon. I would like her (and Archie) much better if they weren't being dragged into the Lodge family business.

I think she thought she had no other options. They couldn't just let him go or he would never leave them alone. They couldn't turn him in or he would drag them all down with him. I'm wondering, too, if part of her was thinking that if she gave BH this "sacrifice" maybe he would leave her friends alone? Haha, fat chance, but who knows what she was thinking. At least it was more pro-active than Baby Serpent calling him names and hitting him. I want to still like Jug but the show is making it so hard. He just comes across as an ineffectual little poser.

Hmmm, interesting. Both Archie and Jughead are going all male violence will save us all and seem to be just running around in circles while their women are getting shit done!

I agree with all you said!

I hate that stereotype of male characters having to be violent. What I loved about seaosn 1 Jughead was how he was not a violent type, unless he was pushed to it and someone said something hurtful to someone he cares about (when Chuck punched Betty) but other than that... He was more brains than violence.

• Love 1
On 5/2/2018 at 2:50 PM, Mabinogia said:

I like the fist to faces mentality the show has, because.. well that’s how teenage boys are (most of the time) they think they’re the most invincible (Archie) and smartest (Jughead) guys in the room. I mean it’s not just really the males either, Veronica has thrown a few this season unless I’m wrong, and Cheryl ad Toni were originally going to fight before they became rushed lovers. I do love Veronica mob bossing it up though, especially on Nick St Claire.