Type keyword(s) to search

The Music of The Handmaid's Tale

• Start Topic

Loved the use of This Woman's Work in the S2 premiere. I'm glad they used the original by Kate Bush, especially since the Maxwell cover has been so popular in recent years. The original version was used in the movie She's Having a Baby which just adds another layer of, I don't know, meaning? Irony? Kate Bush wrote the song specifically for the scene it was used in where Kevin Bacon's character is at the hospital as his wife (Elizabeth McGovern) is in labor with their child.

Pray God you can cope
I stand outside this woman's work
This woman's world
Ooh, it's hard on the man
Now his part is over
Now starts the craft of the father

I know you've got a little life in you yet
I know you've got a lot of strength left
I know you've got a little life in you yet
I know you've got a lot of strength left

I should be crying, but I just can't let it show
I should be hoping, but I can't stop thinking

Of all the things I should've said
That I never said
All the things we should've done
Though we never did
All the things I should've given
But I didn't
Oh, darling, make it go
Make it go away

Give me these moments back
Give them back to me
Give me that little kiss
Give me your hand

• Love 4
On 4/25/2018 at 7:13 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Loved the use of This Woman's Work in the S2 premiere. I'm glad they used the original by Kate Bush, especially since the Maxwell cover has been so popular in recent years. The original version was used in the movie She's Having a Baby which just adds another layer of, I don't know, meaning? Irony? Kate Bush wrote the song specifically for the scene it was used in where Kevin Bacon's character is at the hospital as his wife (Elizabeth McGovern) is in labor with their child.

Loved the use of this song and Kate Bush’s voice is so recognizable. DS17 of course has never heard of her or the song. Lol.

• Love 2

Lots of people non Reddit asking about the "My Life" song played at the Handmaids' funeral. Iris Dement has been around since the early 1990s and has quite a few albums out, though she's not had a lot of mainstream success. (She sells out shows and has great critical acclaim but is more of a cult artist.) "Our Town" is her most popular song and was played during the series finale of NORTHERN EXPOSURE. She's also known for the dirty (it's really funny) duet "In Spite of Ourselves" that she does with John Prine. 

This one here is my favorite. It's a scene from the movie SONGCATCHER. Iris and actor Muse Watson are singing/playing "Pretty Saro", one of our regions's most well-known Appalachian ballads. (I'm a big fan of both of them. Muse is a neighbor and my daughter is named after Iris.)

This is the song "Our Town". It's only the second song she ever wrote. 

• Love 3

The best thing about this show, is the music, in my most humble opinion. Of course, it's "My" music too, from my parent's music I listened to in the womb till now, 55 years and change.

More than Words, I loved, loved Extreme then and now. Such tight harmony. The 80s big hair. I am often seriously bugged by the show, but the music...I always love their music choices.

• Love 1

Ah, More Than Words, such a beautiful melody and exquisite harmonies in the original... but the lyrics are a guy telling a girl "you have to have sex with me to prove you love me" ☹️

On 7/11/2019 at 3:04 AM, chocolatine said:

I find a lot of the music choices jarring - like Que Sera, Sera after the supermarket bloodbath - but I loved the instrumental rendition of More Than Words during the Aunt Lydia flashback.

They do that, though. I don't remember what they played during Season 1 episode 4, the last part when it was "We are handmaids bitches", can't remember, the song but it was great. I'm of that generation, from the 60s to now, and often the music is my favourite part of the show.  Whoever decides on the music is like they are in my head. If you don't know the music, it might surprise or startle you but it's a very important part of this series.  Often I just like it because it's one of my favourite songs, not that it particularly "goes" with the them of the show, that's the point, it doesn't. But for me it works.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, whoknowswho said:

If you don't know the music, it might surprise or startle you but it's a very important part of this series.

I know all of the songs that have been played on the show, and most of them didn't work for me in the context they were used. Notable exceptions being Commander Lawrence listening to Walking On Broken Glass in the car, Janine singing I Only Want To Be With You to baby Charlotte, and More Than Words playing at the club Aunt Lydia went to on NYE. 

• Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Ah, More Than Words, such a beautiful melody and exquisite harmonies in the original... but the lyrics are a guy telling a girl "you have to have sex with me to prove you love me" ☹️

I never really thought of it that way before, but then if I love you, chances are we did or were going to have sex anyway.

I

Edited by whoknowswho
TMI
On 7/17/2019 at 12:17 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Heaven Is a Place on Earth - Belinda Carlisle

I’ve had this song playing in my head since I watched the episode. I’ve tried everything to get it out but no, it remains. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Ariam said:

I’ve had this song playing in my head since I watched the episode. I’ve tried everything to get it out but no, it remains. 

I'm afraid that the only cure for an earworm is to listen to the song from start to finish. At least that usually works for me. If it persists, you may want to listen again while burning some sage.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Ariam said:

Well, "It's a small world after all" will cure it, but the cure is worse than the illness.

"Who let the Dogs Out" is a middle of the road "cure."

• Love 1