Type keyword(s) to search

The Girlfriend Experience - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It was so early when I edited that. Fixed, sorry!

No worries -- I considered if you were using "lucks" to rhyme with something else or allude to the "good luck" of the white privilege depicted in the show.  It worked on so many levels, I wasn't sure if it was a typo! :)

I actually found the movie fairly compelling. I would also add Up In the Air (though not a Soderbergh joint) to that list of films concerning the transactional nature of human behavior, and I thought they all had interesting things to say. This review does not make me want to run to watch this show, which is kind of a bummer.

Meh. I'm tempted to quit this show just after two eps but have been advised by MSZ at Vulture to keep watching, so I will. I was a bit confused by the first ep because I thought she already was a call girl. I didn't like the movie because of the flat performance of the lead, and the same goes here -- Keough and her friend's monotone delivery is leaving me cold. They behave a bit like aliens who are studying to be humans; minimal emotion. I love Paul Sparks (he's everywhere!) so maybe he can liven things up.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 2

I am kinda liking it, am binge watching it right now, I just fast forward through a lot of the slow parts, hey I'm retired, I've got plenty of time to watch everything, but the story line is getting pretty interesting I must say.  Give it a twirl!

• Love 2

I've binged watched it and I got to say the first 4 episodes was intense.

I'm just waiting for Christine's life to implode because of her obsession with her boss and that guy who is obsessed with her.

I can't describe the Christine character. Is she a sociopath? Does she genuinely not care about anything or anyone as long as they are not in her way? I can't tell if she wants to kill someone or fuck them either. lol This is all from the first 2 episodes.

• Love 2

I can't describe the Christine character. Is she a sociopath? Does she genuinely not care about anything or anyone as long as they are not in her way? I can't tell if she wants to kill someone or fuck them either. lol This is all from the first 2 episodes.

I don't think she's a sociopath. She seems to be a narcissist. (She likes to be watched; there's no point to a relationship if she's not getting anything from it, etc.) I watched all the eps and still feel nothing for this girl, but that's the risk of the creative choice to have a self-absorbed enigma as a protagonist. The last ep was a snoozefest. Maybe the final season will end like Looking for Mr. Goodbar?

Edited by numbnut

I have watched all of these and I agree with everyone else.  This girl is completely disconnected from everything.  Most likely this is a character choice but it makes this show not compelling to watch.

In addition, I understood little of her motivations. 

Spoilers:

Why exactly does she send out that video of her boss (just because he stopped seeing her?)

Yeah I actually found it compelling. to see such a character be so disconnected. She's not a murderer or anything but she's a god awful person. I wonder if she even knows what she's doing is a terrible thing.

Remember when

her sister comes to visit and her sister tells her she's so selfish? Then she kept asking her if she's a sociopath? Yikes.

• Love 1

If there's more seasons each one will focus on a different woman.

That would be cool. A stronger actress could make this more interesting or at least make me care about the character's fate.

• Love 2

I went ahead and binged the show. It gets much better and Riley is actually very good. Her performance is subtle and nuanced.

That's generous to call it subtle and nuanced.  I think she ruined it by being pretty bad.  She had that one really odd look and darted her eyes constantly.   No personality, no friends, no close family, unlikeable, stilted awkward conversationalist.  I'm not sure what they were trying to portrait but she was creepy and not in a cool way. 

• Love 5

I binged watched this show and think it's a weird little cousin to that ballerina series Starz had on last year. This series is better, but the squick value is about the same.

I liked the series overall, but am really disappointed by the stupid decisions the protagonist ultimately makes. Not that smart people don't make stupid decisions every day, I just thought this particular character was smarter than that. I suppose if you're young, you can't see that this is a dead end life. Christine may be going for a sense of complete control she sorely lacks as a student or intern. But anyone who's been around any kind of job, professional or otherwise knows control is an illusion, even if you are at the top of the ladder or crashing into that glass ceiling.

I enjoyed the performances and the sterile set dressing was perfect for the subject matter. Any series that actually makes me question what I think is the true world is a good one.
Just wanted to put my thoughts here as I will likely not revisit the season again

Edited by WaltersHair
  • Love 1
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:49 AM, icemiser69 said:

All thirteen episodes are now available on Starz On Demand.  I think total run time is somewhere around 6 1/2 hours.  After watching all of it, I want my  6 1/2 hours back.  I thought the series had some promise for awhile, but towards the end I became completely disinterested in it.  I can't go into details as to why my opinion of the show shifted without mentioning spoilers.  I obviously can't do that..  Needless to say, if the show comes back, they have some serious retooling to do.  I think it was a huge mistake to make all of the episodes immediately available after the first two episodes aired.

I came to this forum in hopes that there would be a thread for spoilers, or for people who have already watched all 13 of the episodes.  I had watched the first several episodes a week or two ago, and I caught up on the remaining 9 episodes today.  I, too, can't go into anything here to avoid spoiling it for others, but I think I am basically in agreement with you.  The series had and has promise, and there were parts of it that I liked.  And then there were other parts that left me wondering, "Why was that subplot even included?  Why did they waste my time with that?"

Has this show been renewed for another season?  And, if so, is there going to be a different actress each season, or the same one?

Edited by Sherry67

Is no one watching this show?

Holy chemistry between Christine and David! Of course the sex was hot but their interaction at the party and even moreso at the bar was all kinds of intense!

• Love 1

I watched -- but I made the mistake of already watching all 13 episodes on Starz On Demand, so they all blend together for me.  I can't recall what happened in which specific episodes because I watched the first 4 in a group, then took a break, then watched the remaining 9.   So my thoughts and comments are more on the completed season.

But I will say that I had a feeling Christine and David would end up hitting the sheets before this episode.  He didn't seem to really pay too much attention to her in a lascivious way prior to the party, but I figured something would happen.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/17/2016 at 1:17 PM, kassa said:

I just caught up and I'm so disappointed there's not a lot of talk about it online.  Dang -- so much going on.

This is one brave actress!  

I agree. She's fearless. (And handling a part very deftly that is overtly sexual, but emotionally withdrawn -- not a combination with any "give" in the garment -- any trace of self consciousness would cause the whole thing to collapse.)  And she's not playing to the camera -- all that "like me! love me!" crap so many actors fall into -- this character is unlikeable, distant, fucked up, selfish and sad to the bone -- and to me, completely compelling.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't know. Watching these men enchanted with her while she stares at them with dead shark eyes is ... A really weird-feeling use of my tv watching time. I also decided to check out the show due to the Vulture podcast (I think someone mentioned it upthread), but I may not be sophisticated enough to appreciate the minimalism/subdued tone.

Before I came to this thread, I also assumed she was a sociopath by episode 2. I don't entirely know what the show is about. Is it about the fact that she's soulless/emotionless? She's empty, and so men project all their idealized fantasies onto/into her?

Meanwhile, the show is trying to give a mr robot vibe, but the legal B plot seems very perfunctory.

Edit: Aha (ep 4 spoiler):

Ah, by episode four she's explaining that she doesn't like being around people and doesn't have the same feelings/reactions other people do, and one of her clients calls her a female Ted Bundy.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1

I'm not sure it this is the right thread to post on, but here's my question: I'm looking for something to binge watch over the next 1-2 weeks, is this show worth it? why or why not?

(edited)
On 6/22/2016 at 8:12 AM, NutMeg said:

I'm not sure it this is the right thread to post on, but here's my question: I'm looking for something to binge watch over the next 1-2 weeks, is this show worth it? why or why not?

Impossible to say without knowing what else you like and what else you've already seen.

Gut instinct is 'no', not with the glut of high-quality, binge-able television content available today.

The lack of discussion about it (beyond this thread for the first two eps) probably speaks for itself.

Edited by kieyra
16 hours ago, kieyra said:

Impossible to say without knowing what else you like and what else you've already seen.

Gut instinct is 'no', not with the glut of high-quality, binge-able television content available today.

The lack of discussion about it (beyond this thread for the first two eps) probably speaks for itself.

Thanks Kieyra, Recently, I've seen Lucifer, Reign, The Affair, Mr. Robot, Unreal and Fresh off the Boat, so I'm quite open as regard to genre or treatment thereof :) 

On May 17, 2016 at 0:17 PM, kassa said:

I just caught up and I'm so disappointed there's not a lot of talk about it online.  Dang -- so much going on.

This is one brave actress!  

It helps that she is aesthetically perfect

• Love 3
On June 22, 2016 at 7:12 AM, NutMeg said:

I think it's cool, different, voyeuristic, escapism

• Love 2

So it will apparently be taking an anthology series route with a new cast and story. What an odd decision... the first season didn't at all feel like a self contained story. I wonder if Riley Keough was not interested in returning.

On 4/15/2016 at 0:34 PM, Lemons said:

That's generous to call it subtle and nuanced.  I think she ruined it by being pretty bad.  She had that one really odd look and darted her eyes constantly.   No personality, no friends, no close family, unlikeable, stilted awkward conversationalist.  I'm not sure what they were trying to portrait but she was creepy and not in a cool way. 

I'm late to the game with this.  Just started watching it.  Riley is a terrible actress.  Really bad.  I agree that the acting is neither subtle nor nuanced.  I get nothing from her, no emotion, no clues- not on the surface or under it.

I think the darting eyes really ruined it for me.  The script must have said, "she's nervous, eyes darting..." and she really went for it.

On 6/27/2016 at 8:41 AM, announcergirl said:

I think it's cool, different, voyeuristic, escapism

Wow, just realized it's me you were answering to, and thanks to you I binged watched it a while back. I found it cool, different and voyeuristic indeed, but much darker than I expected which is even better :) The independent vibe of this series is my shtick, the scenario, the camera work, the acting are seriously quasi perfect. As this is in the thread for the first epi, I'd say for me it started slow but after a few episodes I was very much hooked.

• Love 2