Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E14: Top 10 Reveal

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Well, I'm not tearing my hair out over the top 10.  As long as Jonny and Garrett didn't make it, I'm a fairly happy camper.  This group should provide some good entertainment going forward.  I only wish the season was longer so we could hear more from them all.

• Love 6

Michelle??? Really? I thought she sounded horrible tonight. 

I think the 6 voted in by America were pretty good choices. 

I’m sort of surprised Garrett and Mara weren't chosen by the judges. 

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 11

What was Ada wearing? An 80s prom dress that fell into the wrong bedazzling crowd?

I love the song Journee sang, but I feel it doesn’t show her talents the way some of her other stuff has- or even the way that song did in an earlier round.

Catie Turner did better tonight, I think.

Maddie and Caleb are my two favorites so far.

Michelle? Really? I was happy with the judges' pick of Dennis. I think he redeemed himself tonight. Have been on his fanwagon since his celebrity duet. Jurnee deserved the save as well, imo. Not a fan of Ada. Not sure who I would have swapped out with Ada.

• Love 11

I was kind of hoping that Marcio really brought it this week, but after that amazing, relaxed and joyful duet with Allen Stone, he really missed the mark in his last 2 performances. Despair was written all over his face and it was so hard to watch.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, deaja said:

What was Ada wearing? An 80s prom dress that fell into the wrong bedazzling crowd?

I love the song Journee sang, but I feel it doesn’t show her talents the way some of her other stuff has- or even the way that song did in an earlier round.

Catie Turner did better tonight, I think.

Maddie and Caleb are my two favorites so far.

It’s better than that black Lycra thing, but not by much.  If Adam is going to make drag his thing, he needs to start dressing his age, not his grandmothers.  And I loathe that song.  No, I am NOT going to love you. Jesus.  How schlocky can it get? 

• Love 14

In spite of what they said, I suspect the 6 voted in by the audience were revealed in order -- top vote getter to 6th best.  Michelle being saved by the judges surprised me...she was not good tonight -- or last night.

Maddie did chose another great song for her voice and style..... with Walk Like an Egyptian.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 9

I think Michelle and Ada may be the first two voted out.  I just don't think they are as strong as the others.  

Is  this Idol still only going to vote out one contestant a week?

3 hours ago, sinycalone said:

In spite of what they said, I suspect the 6 voted in by the audience were revealed in order -- top vote getter to 6th best.  Michelle being saved by the judges surprised me...she was not good tonight -- or last night.

Maddie did chose another great song for her voice and style..... with Walk Like an Egyptian.

I agree.  When Maddie was first and Cade second , pretty much confirmed those thoughts.

• Love 8

My theory on Michelle - she could have actually ranked higher with the audience vote.

The Idol winner will be someone in the Top 6.  No wildcard has ever won.

The Facebook likes/views of Sunday's performances were spot on in determining the Top 6.
1. gabby 13k
2. catie 10k
3. maddie 8.7k
4. cade 7.7k
5. caleb 6.6k
6. michael 5.5k

Edited by twilightzone
  • Love 9

I am happy to see that the performances seemed to be a lot better tonight than they were last night.   They collectively seem to have shaken off the nerves so many of them displayed last night which hindered their performances.

Anyone else tired of being lectured by the judges about who we should/should not vote for?  The "shocking" results weren't a function of America's (at times) wonky voting habits... they were inevitable given the schedule the producers set for this season.  After all, America could ONLY vote through 6 out of the 14 performers last night.  Of course some good performers were going to be left out.  And next week aren't they cutting from 10 down to 5?*  I wish this season wasn't so condensed... I feel like we are being robbed of the chance of really getting to know these contestants and the contestants are being robbed of the chance to grow over the course of the season.

It's going to be tough for anyone who didn't crack America's top 6 this week to climb at least two spots into the top 5 next week.  I feel like Ada is the only person who didn't make America's top 6 this week that has a shot at making the top 5 next week.  I would have preferred to see Mara picked over Michelle, but overall this is a good Top 10 in my opinion.

*ETA:  So it seems next week they're cutting to Top 7 and then the following week down to 5.  I'm still annoyed by the condensed season though... this still only gives those who didn't make America's top 6 this week two opportunities to change people's minds.  I think we're in for a predictable few weeks.

Edited by me5671
  • Love 10
Just now, TheGreenKnight said:

I would've swapped Mara and Jonny for Ada and Michelle, but otherwise the right ones made it through. So glad Garrett is gone.

I agree for the most part. I think America got it dead right but the judges slipped on a few. I thought Jonny's performance tonight was really good and would have switched him for Michelle. I think they mostly put Ada through because she's a novelty act that to the best of my knowledge America hasn't seen before. She would be great for Broadway but can't see her going far mainstream. Michelle was put through to appeal to the Hispanic voters. She reminds me a lot of Selena but she doesn't have a strong enough voice to make it IMO.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

Jurnee’s song was so pretty. Does anyone know the name of it?

She is a beautiful young woman. 

Never Be Enough from The Greatest Showman

1 minute ago, twilightzone said:

I agree completely, and also suspect the top 6 may have been  announced in the order of possible votes.

I'm relieved that Garrett and Jonny went home, but felt bad for Marcio.

Ada hurt my ears!  

I am surprised how much I enjoyed Gabby's performance.

Loved Maddie's song ... she makes great song choices.

And I think Michael is one of the most likable contestants ever.

• Love 11

So I am not actively following this show and have no dog in this race, but I'm told that "Catie" got the most votes of the top 6 and that "Jonny" got the least of everyone **via the American Idol app**.  Sorry to have no source; disregard me if you must.  I also hear that overall it was relatively close in the middle.

Edited by Azgard12
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

In spite of what they said, I suspect the 6 voted in by the audience were revealed in order -- top vote getter to 6th best. 

But why would they reveal the order of the vote?  If anything, that can backfire and cause fans of higher vote getters to be complacent and motivate the lower vote getters.  And that's how shock boots happen.

Edited by twilightzone
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

My theory on Michelle - she could have actually ranked higher with the audience vote.

The Facebook likes/views of Sunday's performances were spot on in determining the Top 6.
1. gabby 13k
2. catie 10k
3. maddie 8.7k
4. cade 7.7k
5. caleb 6.6k
6. michael 5.5k

I am just watching now from MST. Who are the 4 judges pick?  I can't tell by the posts. 

I'm disappointed that Marcio didn't make it.  He's blown everyone away every time except singing the Barry Manilow song last night which was a poor choice.  I wanted to see him grow even more :(   The way the judges and audience have been reacting so positively to him it was hard to watch him totally deflate tonight and realize it wasn't going to happen for him after all....

As Ada sang I couldn't help comparing it to Jennifer Hudson in Dream Girls and there was NO comparison.  Ada came across as powerful but squawky in my opinion.  Girl needs a girdle,too.

• Love 11
Just now, incandescent said:

Ada, Jurnee, Michelle, Dennis

Thanks.  Barry Manelow may have been Marcio's demise.  Why?   

I agree with Ada and Michelle out first. 

• Love 4

Well that was completely predictable.  America got the top 6 right - I was surprised Jurnee didn't make it, actually, but she wasn't good last night.  Regardless, it worked itself out with the wildcard.  I knew the judges weren't going to let her go (deservedly so).

WHAT was that shuffle around the stage Katy and Luke did when Michael J was declared safe?  Although honestly, I might have thrown a fist in the air and uttered a "yes" myself...

I knew the judges were going to put Ada through without deliberation as soon as I saw what song  she was doing, and I was absolutely certain as soon as she started with the notes only dogs can hear.  God I hate that song, and it should be immediately retired from the Idol songbook along with the equally overdone "I Will Always Love You" and "Natural Woman" (neither of which I will be at all surprised to hear Ada do over the next few weeks).

Also, there was no way they weren't going to put Michelle through after Katy telling her that "the people she loved and trusted let her down" (the people of America) by not voting for her...the judges weren't going to let their little dreamer down, darn it!

I did laugh when Michelle was standing behind Ada in the back...they looked like teen and grandmother in one of those generational pictures where everyone has dresses made out of the same material but in their own style.

Cade's got a really great smile.  It kind of transforms his face. 

Someone mentioned the glamification of Catie last night - it was really obvious tonight with her hair and makeup.   

• Love 10

Ada is no comparison to Jennifer Hudson's version or the original, Jennifer Holliday. That was a shreaky mess. Just an emotional pick on the judges' part. It's like they are picking based on emotion and America is picking based on singing and the judge's just can't comprehend it. Except for maybe Jurnee. Girl can sing, but she is cold. Reminds me of Jennifer Hudson on AI and why I think she didn't go farther.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 17
8 minutes ago, Nessie said:

WHAT was that shuffle around the stage Katy and Luke did when Michael J was declared safe?  Although honestly, I might have thrown a fist in the air and uttered a "yes" myself...

I thought it started out as relief on his behalf, then continued as solidarity when he said the hardest thing about Titanium was standing still.

And/or they were just hamming it up.

• Love 2

I'm not overly surprised at the 6 voted through. You've got the only country representation left this season (Gaby & Caleb), the only rock representation (Cade), the two "lovable weirdo's" or so we are supposed to believe in Catie & Michael who've been shoved down our throats the entire season....and you have the best possible non-country chance the show has in finding someone who might actually do something post-show in Maddie (although Walk like an Egyptian was.....not good tonight).

As for the 4 judge picks, Ada was a mortal lock. The judges were never going to have the stones to eliminate him/her. They'll leave it to the voting public next week.

Dennis & Jurnee to me are more fully fleshed out artists. I guess Dennis might've been the 2nd biggest surprise (just because I assumed they'd take one of their pretty teen heartthrobs first or Mara's emotional backstory that I never totally understood before him and obviously Michelle)

As for Michelle, I've been on record as understanding why she has moved through competition. There is a reality where she could be a marketable latin pop (fly girl come to life?) type artist. Unfortunately, every time I feel like she'll lean into that persona and sing something like Bruno Mars and Cardi B's Finesse....she picks or the show makes her do a sappy ballad instead and styles her with severe bangs that make her look a decade or more older than what she is. So I dunno.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, me5671 said:

I am happy to see that the performances seemed to be a lot better tonight than they were last night.   They collectively seem to have shaken off the nerves so many of them displayed last night which hindered their performances.

Anyone else tired of being lectured by the judges about who we should/should not vote for?  The "shocking" results weren't a function of America's (at times) wonky voting habits... they were inevitable given the schedule the producers set for this season.  After all, America could ONLY vote through 6 out of the 14 performers last night.  Of course some good performers were going to be left out.  And next week aren't they cutting from 10 down to 5?*  I wish this season wasn't so condensed... I feel like we are being robbed of the chance of really getting to know these contestants and the contestants are being robbed of the chance to grow over the course of the season.

It's going to be tough for anyone who didn't crack America's top 6 this week to climb at least two spots into the top 5 next week.  I feel like Ada is the only person who didn't make America's top 6 this week that has a shot at making the top 5 next week.  I would have preferred to see Mara picked over Michelle, but overall this is a good Top 10 in my opinion.

*ETA:  So it seems next week they're cutting to Top 7 and then the following week down to 5.  I'm still annoyed by the condensed season though... this still only gives those who didn't make America's top 6 this week two opportunities to change people's minds.  I think we're in for a predictable few weeks.

Yes.  Because this season the judges had no real critiques.

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, Nessie said:

did laugh when Michelle was standing behind Ada in the back...they looked like teen and grandmother in one of those generational pictures where everyone has dresses made out of the same material but in their own style.

So funny! I know exactly what you mean. 

I’m watching for Maddie and Michael. They make me stop and listen. I haven’t expected or gotten that in a while from AI. 

I was really rooting for Marcio but bad song choice sung in a forgettable way is not gonna cut it. Barry Manilow? Really? I hope he has a support system. I worry about him. 

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

Ada is no comparison to Jennifer Hudson's version or the original, Jennifer Holliday. That was a shreaky mess.

I can't hear that song without picturing Norman Gentle crawling around the judges' desk singing it.  Link I refuse to embed.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Nessie said:

Also, there was no way they weren't going to put Michelle through after Katy telling her that "the people she loved and trusted let her down" (the people of America) by not voting for her...the judges weren't going to let their little dreamer down, darn it!

Yes, and later Katy commented on Jurnee that she was the 'most qualified for the job' so she couldn't understand how the voters didn't choose her; Katy isn't shy about the political innuendo, is she?

Even though I have been enjoying her, this reminds me of season 8, when she showed up for a guest performance on Idol in a cape that was emblazoned with Lambert's name. Shut up, Katy.

• Love 8

What? What? What? Do the results mean that a girl actually has a chance to win AI? I thought the pretty boyz would squeak through despite their lack of singing ability.

Nevertheless, as long as Caleb is in the competition, despite the overall superior talent of Maddie and Michael, I think he might be the favorite to win it all. The southern vote scares me. Even Gabby's "country" presence isn't a threat.

They really want Michelle to go far, right? Her vocals still lack finesse. I guess she believes ass shaking will win it for her. She's on life support if you ask me.

Oh, and Mara? Back to school for you!

Jurnee and Ada/m won't win, but they will be entertaining on the tour.

After Disney week, can Catie please sing one of her original songs? Her quirkiness got my attention, not her covers.

Edited by Nedsdag
Confused Cade with Caleb
  • Love 2

Think Catie may have been hamming it up during all the audition shows?  Strangely s****** socially, now 1 week later she's suddenly somewhat 'normal'... I do like her voice but I cant help remembering that irritating girl who wildly threw herself around everyone for hugs when she got praise.  (I feared for Ryan as she almost knocked him down)  I don't know, I see conspiracy everywhere ;) I could probably forget the very odd girl as long as she keeps singing as well as she's doing and keeps cleaning up her look.

• Love 5

The judges comments about ‘america’ and how we voted are annoying. 

1) There are 6 slots ‘we’ picked. 14 performed. That’s less than half, about 43%. So we didn’t choose more than we did. You know, Math. So it feels like a lot of people weren’t picked because they weren’t.

2) ...And we didn’t come up with this nutty structure so don’t blame us. 

3) Song choice, song choice. And Hitting notes.

I went into this wanting Michelle, Jurnee and Marcio to do great and their performances were off last night (or whenever they filmed it pre Coachella?) Glad Jurnee and Michelle were saved. Jurnee’s song tonight was more what I want from her.

oops 14 performed. Fixed my math.

Edited by Refresh
  • Love 8

In the Episode 10 thread, I predicted that Catie would remove her glasses for Top Ten night. Technically, that's next week, when the 10 sing for votes. I'm not so sure now, though, as her specs might be a permanent part of her image. But we shall see!

I guessed 5 of the 6 America's picks. I thought Jurnee would have made it instead of Dennis. I also was disappointed in the judges picking Michelle. I never was rooting for Garrett but I think he did better tonight then Michelle. 

I am confused once again about voting next week. Ryan said it was going to be live in all time zones. I live in MST (but live right on the border like less then 2 miles from PST) both my MST and PST ABC channels show 7-9pm. Is the show really going to air in EST at 5pm. 

Is it that expensive or hard to have a half hour results show the next day? or is this whole schedule around Ryan taping Live with Kelly in NY on Monday?

• Love 1

Michelle.  Michelle? Seriously!  Michelle??  I am not a fan of Mara but damn, what's right is right, and she deserved to stay over Charo Jr. 

I know this is about the voices, but someone needs to save Catie from another wardrobe choice like the one tonight that made her look like someone's aunt arriving for a holiday dinner.  Instead of that guitar all I could picture was a casserole dish.  As for Ada, I hope this was the last time she pulled her outfit out of the Imelda Marcos closet.  

Edited by ichbin
Added 2nd paragraph.
  • Love 14
17 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

I guessed 5 of the 6 America's picks. I thought Jurnee would have made it instead of Dennis. I also was disappointed in the judges picking Michelle. I never was rooting for Garrett but I think he did better tonight then Michelle. 

I am confused once again about voting next week. Ryan said it was going to be live in all time zones. I live in MST (but live right on the border like less then 2 miles from PST) both my MST and PST ABC channels show 7-9pm. Is the show really going to air in EST at 5pm. 

Is it that expensive or hard to have a half hour results show the next day? or is this whole schedule around Ryan taping Live with Kelly in NY on Monday?

But Dennis wasn't voted in by America. He was a judges pick. The top 6 were: Maddie, Cade, Caleb, Gabby, Michael, and Catie. 

I'm confused about the time zones and how that will play out too. I'm in EST so I naturally assumed it would air like it normally does with 8pm here and so forth with PST being the 5pm slot. But who knows how they're going to do it??

Why am I being made to endure Michelle?! America got it right.

I think any one of the poor souls going home was more deservingly of a save than Michelle.

Ada sounded her worst ever tonight. She deserved top 10 based on body of work, but no way should they have ushered her through based on that overwrought, off-key mess.

• Love 11

Tonight, Dennis was once again my favorite.

Pretty much a segregated contest.  The show will remain that way as long as viewers continue to vote along racial lines, as they have for the past five or six seasons.

• Love 5