Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E18: Live Top 12 Eliminations

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

Ten artists are revealed as safe by America's votes.  The bottom two artists compete for the Instant Save, and one is eliminated.  Maroon 5 performs.  Kelly and Blake perform with their teams.

Discuss this one-hour results show here.

Edited by Prin Holmes

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam

Sharane Calister (saved by America's vote)

Jackie Verna (saved by America's vote)

Rayshun LaMarr (saved by Twitter)

Team Alicia

Britton Buchanan (saved by America's vote)

Christiana Danielle (saved by America's vote)

Jackie Foster (saved by America's vote)

Team Kelly

Brynn Cartelli (saved by America's vote)

Kaleb Lee (saved by America's vote)

Team Blake

Pryor Baird (saved by America's vote)

Spensha Baker (saved by America's vote)

Kyla Jade (saved by America's vote)

This is our top eleven.

Adam escapes the Top 12 Week with his team unscathed, which probably surprised even him lol.

My enjoyment of Team Blake's performance was much greater than my enjoyment of Team Kelly's peformance.

Am I allowed to simultaneously laugh at and be impressed by Rayshun? Is that weird? It's like he is everyone's drunk uncle singing at a wedding reception....except he has undeniable vocal chops.

Take care D.R., I wish you would've explored your indie-rock influences a little more than you actually did throughout the season...

• Love 5
(edited)
14 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Take care D.R., I wish you would've explored your indie-rock influences a little more than you actually did throughout the season...

Kelly deserved to lose him for the song choices she gave him.  And for even picking him last week.  @PhD-Purgatory15, you said last week that he deserved to make it here by merit of his body of work.  That does not matter on the show.  What matters is popularity, and if Kelly had been worth her salt as a coach, she would have seen Twitter and iTunes and known that D.R. was far and away her least-liked member, second only to Alexa.  Had she been thinking with her head, Dylan or Tish would have been her save.  But she paid absolutely zero attention to the fans.  Just to herself.  She thought with her heart, picked him only on the basis of his Blind, and nothing else, and she paid the price this week.

I like Kelly, but no sympathy to her.

Edited by Prin Holmes
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Prin Holmes said:

Kelly deserved to lose him for the song choices she gave him.  And for even picking him last week.  @PhD-Purgatory15, you said last week that he deserved to make it here by merit of his body of work.  That does not matter on the show.  What matters is popularity, and if Kelly had been worth her salt as a coach, she would have seen Twitter and iTunes and known that D.R. was far and away her least-liked member, second only to Alexa.  Had she been thinking with her head, Dylan or Tish would have been her save.  But she paid absolutely zero attention to the fans.  Just to herself.  She thought with her heart, picked him only on the basis of his Blind, and nothing else, and she paid the price this week.

I like Kelly, but no sympathy to her.

I don't know her reasons for choosing him. But if you're right and she chose because she felt he was the best talent and most deserving off the opportunity to advance based on his ability, then I'm with her 100%.  I always think the "game" aspect of this show is its weakest element, mainly a way to draw in viewers. The main purpose, imo,, and what distinguishes it from AI, is as a showcase for talent and a chance for people to improve their career opportunities in music. So I always want coaches to choose people based on that, not on thinking "This one's popular/cute/will bring votes."

I usually don't agree with their choices and apparently my musical taste is out of the mainstream, but I like the sincerity of choosing teams based on talent not popularity.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Padma said:

I don't know her reasons for choosing him. But if you're right and she chose because she felt he was the best talent and most deserving off the opportunity to advance based on his ability, then I'm with her 100%.  I always think the "game" aspect of this show is its weakest element, mainly a way to draw in viewers. The main purpose, imo,, and what distinguishes it from AI, is as a showcase for talent and a chance for people to improve their career opportunities in music. So I always want coaches to choose people based on that, not on thinking "This one's popular/cute/will bring votes."

I usually don't agree with their choices and apparently my musical taste is out of the mainstream, but I like the sincerity of choosing teams based on talent not popularity.

Me too. If that's the reason she chose him, then I totally respect that. The "contest" part has never interested me as much as just listening to good people sing. Now, for AI I like to see new people come onto the show and gradually improve over the course of several weeks. I enjoy the contest aspect of it, the voting structure and such. But with Voice, I've pretty much just watched it for the actual voices. It's called the "Voice" because they're meant to choose people based on little more than how they sound. I dig that. 

• Love 3

This show is becoming more and more unwatchable. Seeing minimally-talented yokels voted through week after week, because they are white and own a guitar, makes me remember how much I liked Rock Star: INXS, which was free of the country crapola that appeals to America's large redneck contingent, who apparently have nothing better to do than vote in singing shows.

• Love 11

My enjoyment of Team Blake's performance was much greater than my enjoyment of Team Kelly's peformance.

And my enjoyment of the cast from RISE was much greater than Team Blake.

Seeing minimally-talented yokels voted through week after week, because they are white and own a guitar, makes me remember how much I liked Rock Star: INXS

Me, too!!

• Love 2

While the coaches really pump up the contestants with talk of artistry and how they are on a journey of a grand career, it doesn't really phase me. I can see why they have to do that for the show though.   It's actually a singing contest for money and a car.  I mean...really.  If they are real lucky, they may get to make a living and be as successful as Jordan Smith or Cassadee Pope.  But, to me, if these contestants watched the show, they'd know what is really going to happen.  Still, I don't fault them.  I bet they could really use that money.  

I do like Rayshun, but, I'm not sure how long he will hang in there.  I can think of a few others that I would prefer to see go before he does though. 

I don't care for a lot of the song choices lately, but, that's nothing new.  I was so happy that Christianna had a better pick this time. I do think she has much more potential, so why is it barely coming out with Alicia as her coach? Hmmmm......

Britton has been my favorite so far, but, I do wonder about his longevity now.  His limited range is really becoming a distraction  to me.  I wonder if he needs to work on that.  

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, Tony Williams said:

People with r&b voices want to be pop singers and people with pop voices want to be r&B singers and people with r&b voices want to be country singers, etc, etc, etc!

But the country singers just want to stay country singers, and that's one of the reasons they do so well.  Arguably it's because the country singers have limited musical range or interests, but it's a smart strategy. The large viewership of country music fans is not going to be put off by hearing one of their favorites venture into rock or pop. They get what they expect, week after week, no surprises.  

Personally, I find it boring, but I'm not in that demographic. Probably my favorite Voice contestant of all time was Adam Wakefield, who would fall into the general category of country, but branched out into soul, blues, and jazz. Similar to "The Genius," Ray Charles, who was obviously a big influence on him. (Ray Charles once had the Billboard #1 country album). But the contestants who can do multiple genres and do them all well are exceedingly rare.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:52 PM, Lily H said:

This show is becoming more and more unwatchable. Seeing minimally-talented yokels voted through week after week, because they are white and own a guitar,

From a technical singing standpoint, Pryor Baird can't hold a candle to either of those guys. But music is subjective, and taste is largely determined by what genre people grew up listening to. I have friends who are conservatory trained classical or jazz musicians who think that all popular music is crap, because by their standards everyone who plays rock or county or pop is minimally talented.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3
On 4/25/2018 at 11:19 AM, atlantaloves said:

Boy this is the worst batch of singers in a long long time, and that is saying something. A couple of these kids can't even sing in tune!

Disclaimer. Interloper here. Haven't watched as consistently this year after the blinds. And surprisingly find myself purposely watching American Idol at times when it's opposite The Voice(anyone seen side by side ratings).

As usual there's a lot of potential raw talent. Developing talent and taking it to the next level is the difference between raw talent and a career. Same for sports, acting or most careers actually. Some seemed to have missed a lot of notes, were out of tune and/or their voice seemed weak. This is the third or fourth go and it's like a poor audition. The country  was strong this week past, it didn't sound as much like country rock/pop.

Edited by misstwpherecool
  • Love 2