Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E13: Top 14 Live!

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

PS, show…"Black Magic Woman" is a Fleetwood Mac song.  The Santana version was a bigger hit (#4 US) but Peter Green wrote it"

THANK YOU!! I get irrationally angry when people are all, "It's a Santana song. He wrote it." Gaahhhh, nooooo!

I lovd Maddie's voice and would buy her music. Michael is interesting but the mechanic look needs to go. Catie looked great last night as did Caleb. 

• Love 3

Hmmmmm ... interesting way the eliminations are being handled to guarantee that the producers' choice isn't sent home.  

1 ... America votes and top 6 (yeah ... supposedly top 6) are automatically through to next week.

2 ... The remaining 8 have a sing-off (and, hopefully, do better than they did last night).

3 ... The judges select 4 of the 8 to go through to next week.  

Now they can really milk the elimination tonight with all the lights and suspenseful music.  

Who do I think will be eliminated?  Don't have a horse in the race so it's no biggie to me.  But, I wish they all would enunciate; couldn't understand the words on 90% of the songs.

Finally, Michael to me was the best last night. But it's time to drop the Jiffy Lube uniform because he looks like he has to work the night shift after the live shows.

LOL

Journee: I have already said - not a fan of pop or R & B, but I do like her voice. and she's cute and has the right "look" of a pop star, not to mention a "cool" name. I predict she will go far.

Actually it's Jurnee. When I saw that I thought it she should change it. Because it's a dumb spelling and reminds me of "jury" and "gurney." 

2 HOURS AGO, GARDENDIVA SAID:

I don’t know what the big deal is with Cade. His voice isn’t all that great and if he didn’t have his guitar he would be lost. Worst of all, every time I look at him I am reminded of Weird Al Yankovic.

Also, nothing about his sound is current.  And he has a boring personality.  Definitely over rated.  Whereas someone like Michael is under rated.

I definitely get it. They could sell him in any matter of ways to the lucrative teenage girl (and up) market. He's not the most attractive but he's tall, relatively fit, and has long hair. With the right look and marketing, that's (sadly) enough. Except... he can't sing. 

I hate that the judges are introduced by having them come on stage as stars who seem to be bigger than the show itself. 

Actually, I think Idol (at least this season) is way better about that than The Voice (which I can't watch because the judges are too hammy and I usually hate one or more of them) and even X Factor UK. I think you benefit from Lionel not being terribly relevant anymore, though people respect him; Luke being out of his element without a big country audience for the show; and Katy always being on the border of awkward and problematic and her last album barely making a dent. Should something change, I can see egos getting a boost and them becoming unbearable but last night wasn't bad to me. 

• Love 6

gardendiva, And Candice Glover won Season 12. I just wanted to note how far back Idol's support of Black singers went. 

But I'm not so sure about Drag Queens! I think Adam might consider singing as himself after, say,  Top 8!

• Love 1

First, I hate that the judges get to pick 4 of the Top 10.  That's bogus.

My thoughts on the performances, from Best to Worst:

Michael - I never imagined that Titanium needed to be a torch song, and now I can't imagine why no-one's ever done it before.  That was unexpected and fabulous.  A tie for best of the night with:

Maddie - That was vocally stunning, her voice was true in her complete range, from her lower register to her falsetto.  She made the song her own without destroying it.  And she does have a current, alt-pop sound.

A little farther down:

Cade - He's a complete performer, what used to be called label ready.  He's got a good voice, he's a very good guitarist, and he's a showman without being ridiculously over the top.  I don't know where he'd fit in the current music scene since Rock radio is resistant to Idol contestants, but for the purposes on watching him on the show, I don't really care.

Caleb - The judges definitely underpraised him.  Admittedly I was listening rather than watching, but he didn't sound nervous or lost at any point.  And the song suited his voice, especially with its bluesy undertones.  I didn't know the song, but now I want to.

Jurnee - That song did her voice no favors because there's very little actually singing involved, mostly just shouting.  Her performance was energetic and enthusiastic, and I liked that she was trying something non-ballady, so I really hope she advances.

Dennis - I'm not familiar with the song, and I'm not sure it really suited him, but he sounded pretty good.  I can appreciate him doing something different from his previous performances.  I'm not a fan of the Luther Vandross school of R&B singing, so I hope Dennis continues to mix it up, if he goes on in the competition.

And, as much as I hate to admit it, I'd have to put Gabby with this group.  The restrained beginning was actually quite lovely - too bad she went big at the end.  It was pretty much just a copy of Miley, but it sounded good enough.

The rest were varying degrees of meh for me:

Ada started out restrained, which I liked, but quickly moved into over-the-top shrieking, some of it off-key.  What happened to the Ada of Creep?

Michelle was all show and very little substance.  Her vocals weren't bad, per se, just mostly not there.

Marcio was barely audible over the band, for the most part.  I can't say what I heard sounded bad, but I could hardly hear it.

Catie started out good.  She has a nice tone in her lower register.  But oh my, it went off track when she got to the chorus and there were quite a few off-key notes as she got higher.

Mara chose a song I hate, for which she has neither the emotional depth or understanding to carry off, and then was flat in her lower register, followed by sharp and shriek at the end.

Garrett was a little flat, but mostly okay.  Nothing special though.

The same could be said for Jonny, although he is nowhere as comfortable on the stage as Garrett.  I could see him making a career in contemporary Christian music, though.

My picks to advance: Michael, Maddie, Cade, Caleb, Jurnee, Dennis

I have no idea how the voting will shake out, but you know that Cade, Catie, Jurnee and Ada are all probably safe, given that the judges get four picks.  Which, again, sucks.

• Love 3

I guess it's inevitable that the producers will try to interfere. Surely the linking of Cade to Katy Perry's '70 year old mom' who's 'obsessed' with him, and the foolishness of KP plucking his hair was no random act? The last thing ABC needs for their shiny reboot is a Fox-style retro rocker winner. 

Once in a while Luke gives some insight, but mostly seems to be out of his depth (to put it kindly) and Lionel wants to play 'kindly elder statesman of music' with nothing but platitudes to offer. KP for me strikes a nice balance between matter of fact criticism and what I read as genuine appreciation. I'm actually surprised to find myself liking her.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Jurnee - That song did her voice no favors because there's very little actually singing involved, mostly just shouting. 

That would be on her for the song choice, though.  It's not as though this was a "theme week" (will we even have them this season, with the compressed schedule?), after all.

Still, she's probably safe.

14 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Catie's transformation to the swan has begun.  I'll say it- I want her hair.

I try not to watch her, just listen, but I agree about her hair.  It looked really nice.

14 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Good job Caleb on the weight loss.

Yeah, I suspect Jonny & Garrett may have lost the 'cute boy' vote to him.  Having bounced up and down with my weight for decades, I know how hard it is, so props to Caleb.

14 hours ago, incandescent said:

(Sidenote:  How many of Katy’s ~haters~ are legitimate criticism said snippily?)

Or said perfectly pleasantly, just not complimentary.  People tend to term all critical commenters as 'haters'.

11 hours ago, Nedsdag said:

Catie? I don't know about her. She should sing her originals instead. I feel nothing for her when she sings other people's songs.

She does seem to do better with her own songs.

4 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

I do, however, refuse to back down from hating that Star Trek/cheerleader outfit they put her in.  Man, that was U-G-L-Y, they ain't go no alibi.  In contrast, Catie Go-Go-Boots, Production's Pet, was very nicely styled, both the hair and the outfit.  Manufactured "duckling/swan transformation" storyline? Oh, never!

But of course, we hurt Catie's feelings when we criticize her.  Well, if hating Catie is wrong, I don't want to be right.  (No chance she's leaving, though.  Ada might get cut, but Catie's good for this round; the judges would keep her, even if somehow she fell short on votes.)

Yep, that was a hideous outfit.  And yes, Catie did look much improved.

22 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

That would be on her for the song choice, though.  It's not as though this was a "theme week" (will we even have them this season, with the compressed schedule?), after all.

Indeed.  I didn't mean to imply that someone else chose that song for her.  She made a choice that did not suit her at all.

13 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I’m surprised how much it feels like the same old show. Of course there’s Ryan (which feels uncomfortable given the allegations).

Ryan was falsely accused.  I kind of wish they could mention it just to let people know, because I didn't know until I read it here.  But that'd probably give the accusation more legs than it has now.  So I respect the decision to just ignore it and move on.  

Part of the fun of watching the show is reading comments here after.  I'm trying to do better with actually chiming in more!

My favorite, by far, is Maddie.  I love her voice and phrasing.   I like her stage presence and think she could do well as a modern artist.   I can imagine her songs on the radio.

I like Michael and Cade (although Cade's arrogance bugs).   I like Catie's voice and when her personality is more toned down (like last night), I like her.  I far prefer Caleb to Garrett or Jonny, although I am not the tween/teen voting demographic.   Gabby's fakey twang really annoys me.  I am pretty "meh" with everyone else.

Edited by HelenCrump
  • Love 1

It's not as though this was a "theme week" (will we even have them this season, with the compressed schedule?),

Spoiler

Yes. they will have some theme nights. Next week is Disney song week with Adele Dazeem (aka Idina Menzel) as the mentor.

Best of the NIght: Michael and Maddie

Deserve to Voted Safe: Dennis, Jurnee, Catie and Caleb

Should be Wildcarded: Ada, Marcio, Gabby, Cade

About to have a "Bad Day": Michelle, Garret, Jonny and Mara

• Love 2
16 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Bandzilla reared it's ugly head for a quite a few singers tonight.

In the new theater they didn't show much of Colin Kaepernick on bass, though.  Very few song choices were good, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Actually yes there will be theme weeks the next two weeks.  Top 10 is Disney songs (Disney owns ABC) with 3 eliminated.  Top 7 is Prince with 2 eliminated.  The finale is 5 contestants rather than the standard 2 or 3.

I would be fine with either Maddie or Cade winning but I wish there were more finals weeks so both of them can sing something newer. 

Edited by UrbanShocker
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, UrbanShocker said:

Actually yes there will be theme weeks the next two weeks.  Top 10 is Disney songs (Disney owns ABC) with 3 eliminated.  Top 7 is Prince with 2 eliminated.  The finale is 5 contestants rather than the standard 2 or 3.

I hate Disney songs.  Prince songs could be interesting, depending on who's still there, since his stuff does not lean as much towards belt-y divas.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

LOL

Actually it's Jurnee. When I saw that I thought it she should change it. Because it's a dumb spelling and reminds me of "jury" and "gurney." 

I definitely get it. They could sell him in any matter of ways to the lucrative teenage girl (and up) market. He's not the most attractive but he's tall, relatively fit, and has long hair. With the right look and marketing, that's (sadly) enough. Except... he can't sing. 

Actually, I think Idol (at least this season) is way better about that than The Voice (which I can't watch because the judges are too hammy and I usually hate one or more of them) and even X Factor UK. I think you benefit from Lionel not being terribly relevant anymore, though people respect him; Luke being out of his element without a big country audience for the show; and Katy always being on the border of awkward and problematic and her last album barely making a dent. Should something change, I can see egos getting a boost and them becoming unbearable but last night wasn't bad to me. 

Good points and I agree.  I had given up on AI after some Katy theatrics that totally turned me off, but, happened upon it last night and was impressed with the contestants and Lionel.  I may switch.  lol

4 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I hate that the judges are introduced by having them come on stage as stars who seem to be bigger than the show itself. 

What I meant was that I wish they would just introduce the judges from their seats, not bring them on the stage as superstars who reach out to the audience or high five them.

3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Ryan was falsely accused.  I kind of wish they could mention it just to let people know, because I didn't know until I read it here.  But that'd probably give the accusation more legs than it has now.  So I respect the decision to just ignore it and move on.  

It is still on-going.

Rejoice! The big stage is back. I live for this show, when we can finally start appropriately seeing and ranking everyone.

I really like most of them so this will be tough for me.

1. Maddie - that inspired song choice won the night. I think she's the type who can spin old music and make a new generation interested in it! She has a lovely tone and falsetto and I think she really connects with her material without pandering to an audience.

2. Cade - Hate on him all you want, but he's got an IT factor, a voice that doesn't sound like anyone else's , and stage charisma for days. He's another one with real musical taste. We've heard Kaleo, Hendrix, and Santana the past few weeks. Like Daughtry, I think he'll be better as a front man and I don't think he'll win the show. I also don't think he needs to win the show. 

3. Gabby - a competent performance with range, dynamics, pitch, and some big glory notes. It was restrained for her. Glad someone cut her hair. I'm not quite on the love train but she's picking better songs and not trying to be a Carrie-bot. 

4. Ada - Loved the staging, the mood, and the execution. I appreciate the effort and thought put into the styling and the drama that comes with each Ada performance. While I'm seeing something that's far more of a Vegas act than a pop star in the making, Ada has a career ahead of her if she wants it.

5. Dennis - I love that he has a gritty vibe to his voice but he's not afraid to sing pop songs. There's a dichotomy there I find compelling. He's always out there to slay and win. I think he could sing anything and I'm looking forward to him more each week. 

6. Michael - He's such a cool little weirdo! Lionel's right; he is a martian. I just like him. I never know what he's going to do. I never know what direction he's taking a song. That's great for TV, not sure about post-Idol career. But he's inherently likable. 

7. Caleb - I just love his voice. And good on him for the weight loss! He seems healthy, happy, and confident. I love a banjo player. He's got a lot of musicality that needs to be developed in his voice, but it's already present in his instruments. There's something really pure and special about his tone. 

8. Mara - She has an undeniably great voice, but the song choice showed zero self-awareness. That's for a seasoned, weather-beaten artist. Not a 16-year-old who doesn't have a ton of friends in school. She also shrieked and was really shrill in her upper register and she cracked on a few high notes.

9. Catie - She's got a great voice but I'm not sure I fully responded to that song. There was some connection lacking that took me out of it. That said, she was more on pitch than anyone in the first half and certainly deserves to go through.

10. Jurnee - Wrong song for her. She sounded good but the whole thing felt shlocky and forced. She doesn't have enough "oomph" in her voice for Jesse J. There's no grit - it's all honey and sweet soprano tones.

11. Marcio - Song choice, outfit, and bad dance moves just erased all the great work he did last week. Why oh why??? Goodness that was disappointing. 

12. Michelle - She was far better than I expected. She's got a Selena type of vibe, but I'm just not into the music she sings.

13. Johnny - Better singers should have made top 14

14. Garrett - See above

Bandzilla was on fire last night. SO MUCH LOUD. I

I am not pleased that the judges control 40% of the top 10. THIS IS TOO MUCH LIKE THE VOICE. America's vote should determine it all. Then the judges could pick a save for the top 11. #BringbackoriginalrecipeIdolmachinationsplz

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

2. Cade - Hate on him all you want, but he's got an IT factor, a voice that doesn't sound like anyone else's , and stage charisma for days. He's another one with real musical taste

I actually don't hate on him, I love rock and agree he has something, including taste. However, I think it's stretching things to say he has a 'voice' since all we've heard has been shout/growling so far. He does seem to be in the general vicinity of the melody, but beyond that, I'm not hearing it.

He's going to have to possibly drop the guitar for a minute, and actually allow us to hear whatever it is he does have vocally; I don't think he can win without doing that. JMO

• Love 7

I am not pleased that the judges control 40% of the top 10.

ITA.  A judge-save defeats the purpose of voting.   The only counter-point is that the judges have seen a lot more of these singers than we have but that was NOT our decision. 

I might like some of the saved candidates, but do you know who a lot of people like?  The people elected to stay.   (I'm posting that before the results, so I can say with sincerity:  it's not the fault of the people saved that the judges saved them; it's the fault of the producers to the degree they ignore the votes.)  I'd be up for ONE judge's save this year (total, not each) to give some recognition that there were things we didn't see, but having more weeks to vote would also let us see that.

• Love 2

I'm hoping that Ada, Jonny, Garrett, and Catie leave tonight, but I know I'm going to be disappointed on that score.

5 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

7. Caleb - I just love his voice. And good on him for the weight loss! He seems healthy, happy, and confident. I love a banjo player. He's got a lot of musicality that needs to be developed in his voice, but it's already present in his instruments. There's something really pure and special about his tone. 

100% agree!

• Love 1

Or said perfectly pleasantly, just not complimentary.  People tend to term all critical commenters as 'haters'.

Not to get too off track, but I can't stand this. It's arrogance and/or insecurity masquerading as self-esteem. 

• Love 5

I was really disappointed in the quality of singing, all of them have done better. Personally, I think Maddie and Catie were the best of the group. I like Caleb and Cade enough to hope they are safe as well. I just don't like any of the rest enough to care if they stay or go.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, UrbanShocker said:

Top 10 is Disney songs (Disney owns ABC) with 3 eliminated.  Top 7 is Prince with 2 eliminated.  The finale is 5 contestants rather than the standard 2 or 3.

Not quite right; there's another week after Top 5.  The show ends on May 21, the same night as DWTS.

proserpina65, There was this Idol rendition of "Titanium":

_

And FTR, when I say I don't think a contestant sings well, it's because I don't think that contestant sings well. Don't ASSume that "really" I have some antipathy towards the person. I MIGHT, but then I'd say that, too. Cade, e.g., makes me no nevermind, but I think he sings like crap. But then, I haven't been a teenybopper since the Beatles appeared on "The Ed Sullivan Show." ?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1

LennieBriscoe - I missed that performance, but I never cared for Adam Lambert's voice anyway so I probably missed it on purpose.  And I don't know about others, but my general feeling is that the posters here tend to be honest in their critiques of performances.  But apparently we're all haters. ;-)

Edited by proserpina65

I laughed at Catie talking about people online saying her personality is an act, and her mom's been subjected to that act for 18 years now.  I believe her.  

18 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

2. Cade - Hate on him all you want, but he's got an IT factor, a voice that doesn't sound like anyone else's , and stage charisma for days. He's another one with real musical taste. We've heard Kaleo, Hendrix, and Santana the past few weeks. Like Daughtry, I think he'll be better as a front man and I don't think he'll win the show. I also don't think he needs to win the show. 

Proclaiming someone as having the IT factor is the ultimate kiss of death.  Every year, someone is predicted to be this huge star.  But this is Idol 2018, not 2006.  The last time they had a success story was back 2012.  6 years ago.

Cade's type of music is very old school.  He's going to have a heck of a time getting any kind of airplay with current mainstream Rock Radio (who aren't accepting of new artists as is).  And his voice is really just average.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, twilightzone said:

Proclaiming someone as having the IT factor is the ultimate kiss of death.  Every year, someone is predicted to be this huge star.  But this is Idol 2018, not 2006.  The last time they had a success story was back 2012.  6 years ago.

Cade's type of music is very old school.  He's going to have a heck of a time getting any kind of airplay with current mainstream Rock Radio (who aren't accepting of new artists as is).  And his voice is really just average.

Lightning can always strike again. I do not think Cade needs to win this show. Before Phil Phil, the last time Idol had seen a success story was Daughtry. Lambert hadn't really busted out into mainstream stardom yet, and Scotty and Lauren Alaina weren't big in country yet. Now I see them both on every country awards show and Adam Lambert is playing with Queen. Kelly and Carrie levels of success will never be the norm, but I consider it a win if someone makes a career out of music after Idol. I think several of this crop could do it, and Cade is one of them. He and Gabby know how to work a stage. "Average" voices don't seem to be a problem for radio or this lot of judges - they did let Michelle through, after all. 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Lightning can always strike again. I do not think Cade needs to win this show. Before Phil Phil, the last time Idol had seen a success story was Daughtry. Lambert hadn't really busted out into mainstream stardom yet, and Scotty and Lauren Alaina weren't big in country yet. Now I see them both on every country awards show and Adam Lambert is playing with Queen. Kelly and Carrie levels of success will never be the norm, but I consider it a win if someone makes a career out of music after Idol. I think several of this crop could do it, and Cade is one of them. He and Gabby know how to work a stage. "Average" voices don't seem to be a problem for radio or this lot of judges - they did let Michelle through, after all. 

Factually, that's not true.  Between Chris Daughtry and Phillip Phillips - Jordin Sparks, David Cook, Adam Lambert, Scotty McCreery had successful launches after their seasons. 

Fans will always insists that their special snowflake will be the next big thing, but the fact is from Season 12 onward, there hasn't been a legitimate breakout.

And it wasn't because of a lack of talent.  With ratings that have plummeted, Idol is no longer in the position to launch the big careers. 

Edited by twilightzone
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

yes, or have it lead to something like Justin Guarini's 'Dr. Pepper' commercials!

To be fair, Justin has worked a lot on Broadway.  And I don't imagine he's the least bit unhappy with those commercials.

1 hour ago, twilightzone said:

And it wasn't because of a lack of talent.  With ratings that have plummeted, Idol is no longer in the position to launch the big careers. 

Most people in the business aren't big stars.  If Idol gets any of these contestants enough notice to build a career in music, they'll be fine.

• Love 2

In my opinion, ratings don't launch careers.  I think the record producers realized that people watch these shows regardless of their ability to produce marketable recording artists.  Look at The Voice. 

And 'average' is in the ear of the listener.  If technical singing skill made for a star, a computer program could pick the stars.  I think it's a small part of it.  Taylor Swift and Katy Perry wouldn't be stars if it mattered much.  

I don't think it's correlated to ratings exactly but it was a good business model to begin with. Make a singing competition show. You'll get money from people watching the show. Then as people get invested week to week, you'll emerge with a previously unknown artist who now has a fan base invested in their success. And while you can level legitimate criticisms about shallowness and non-singing related judgments, the truth is that voters manage to do a fair approximation of the regular fickleness of the general public when there isn't too much producer manipulation. Producers picking winners and going too hard selling the sob stories throws things off. 

Scotty and Lauren Alaina weren't big in country yet

Are they big now? I mean, I don't keep up with everything. I only listen to a couple of albums and I pretty much skip all the guys. But I have a sense of what's going on with the awards shows and TV specials and I don't really see them. Or The Voice people. It feels like the same standbys. Reba, Miranda, etc. Maybe a Kelsea Ballerini once in a while.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

yes, or have it lead to something like Justin Guarini's 'Dr. Pepper' commercials!

L’il sweet!  I love L’il sweet!  Justin has done extremely well for himself. 

• Love 3
On 4/23/2018 at 12:30 PM, sempervivum said:

KP for me strikes a nice balance between matter of fact criticism and what I read as genuine appreciation. I'm actually surprised to find myself liking her.

I think she actually has real ability to critique the contestants. She has the ear and the eye.  Unfortunately, it is dampened by her "look at me" and "see how woke I am" tendencies.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Are they big now? I mean, I don't keep up with everything. I only listen to a couple of albums and I pretty much skip all the guys. But I have a sense of what's going on with the awards shows and TV specials and I don't really see them. Or The Voice people. It feels like the same standbys. Reba, Miranda, etc. Maybe a Kelsea Ballerini once in a while.

Scotty recently had the #1 song in country music with "Five More Minutes." It may still be on top because I hear it several times a day. Lauren Alaina has had hits here and there, including a big one last fall. They're not award-level "big" but they definitely have a radio presence. 

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, suebee12 said:

Last night's show with all the glitz and glamour showed me what is wrong with Idol. I smile every time I think of how Clay and Kelly describe the first two seasons of the show. They call them the "ghetto years"! No live bands, no over wrought background singers, and judges who weren't hugely famous on their own(at least for those seasons anyway!). I hate that the judges are introduced by having them come on stage as stars who seem to be bigger than the show itself. And as everyone has pointed out, you can't hear the contestants because of all the background music and singers. Back in the day, the kids recorded their own backgrounds and you could actually hear them sing!

The other thing that is upsetting is that we won't really get to know the contestants. This show will be over before it starts! In the good old days, the show ran from January to May....lots of singing and themes! The age requirements have also been lowered and raised...so we have much younger(much, much younger in some cases) and somewhat older contestants. Everyone in season 2 was at  20-25 with the exception of Carmen, who was the baby of the group. They were housed together in a mansion so they grew close during the run of the show. They weren't allowed to use the internet and social media such that it was at that time so they didn't realize how popular they were getting. There was an innocence about those two seasons and a real singing contest which with the addition of instruments has turned into a talent contest.

How I wish for those days again! Now the judges are so much of the show that at times it seems more about them than the singers. I even liked the guest judges during the second season: they actually added interesting commentary! Who can ever forget Neil Sedaka's reaction to Clay singing Solitaire? Are we even going to get any theme week this year? I like Maddie and Michael but I am not invested in anyone and I think I am actually watching from habit not because anyone has grabbed  my attention. I know "you can't go home again" but I sure wish you could!

I agree with you and been saying the same thing about the glitz and glamour on stage. Another thing I wish the judges would do is refrain from giving a standing O, and showing that they like a contestant. Just stay seated and judge!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Scotty recently had the #1 song in country music with "Five More Minutes." It may still be on top because I hear it several times a day. Lauren Alaina has had hits here and there, including a big one last fall. They're not award-level "big" but they definitely have a radio presence. 

Lauren Alaina has won at least one country music award in the last year.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:47 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I laughed at Catie talking about people online saying her personality is an act, and her mom's been subjected to that act for 18 years now.  I believe her.  

I like that too and her comment she whispered to the camera "do I think I am going to win?........no"  I like her a lot and she has a fabulous voice. 

A lot of people don't like Michelle. Well....I think even though she does have the weakest voice of the female singers, she does entertain us. I think if she does get her vocals straighten out, she can become a star! I enjoyed her performance the other night, and I think there has to be others who enjoyed her as well. 

Now, was Michelle better than Mara or Marcio? In the vocal dept.? Nope. Notice the reaction when Ryan Seacrest gives the news to Michelle that she is the Danger Zone. She smiles, keeps her head up and continues to try her best to convince the judges that she deserves to be in the top 10. Now, take a look at Mara and Marcio's reactions. Totally opposite. Mara started crying and Marcio started moping around. They weren't ready for this! Michelle took this thing head on knowing chances were slim but she did leave out there on stage. The judges liked the confidence Michelle showed and felt they could work with her voice because she has the entertaining part pretty good.  

• Love 1

I do like Michelle's voice and her confidence, especially compared to Marcio and Mara.  But some of her actions I find a little eye roll worthy, like interrupting to clarify that she's an American and loves being one.  Shades of Kristy Lee Cook.  Though they all kind of feel like they're laying on the PERSONALITY a little too hard.  Catie's, "Ask Michael!  He's more articulate!" felt calculated, and so did Michael's weird weight shifting in his pre-stage talk with Ryan, about it being hard to stand still.  He was standing still fine before then. 

All the strange comments about how tense that green room was felt fake to me.  As if the director realized that all those shots of them standing awkwardly back there would just be dull and ridiculous if they didn't verbally inject some drama to the situation.  

And Michelle feels like a Demi Lovato impersonator to me, which doesn't bode well.