Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E13: Top 14 Live!

• Start Topic

All  I heard was a lot of pitchy, off key singing tonight by most of them.

I gave my votes to Maddie and Cade.  He is cocky and a bit arrogant but there is something endearing about him and he is talented.  Didn't love the song choice but he has mad guitar skills.  Loved Maddie's performance.  It was beautiful.

I gave my votes early but I would have thrown some to Michael just because he's different.  Gabby's interpretation of ' the climb' was not the best I've  heard.

Catie's transformation to the swan has begun.  I'll say it- I want her hair.

At  least Katy was trying to give some constructive criticism.

Good job Caleb on the weight loss.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Diana Berry said:

Agree they should go but I bet johnny and Garrett get the tween vote.  

Maybe, but I think Garrett made a tactical error bringing his girlfriend on the last show.  That could put a damper on a lot of crushes. 

• Love 5

I wish Jurnee had picked a better song. I've liked her in the other shows, but she wasn't that good with this. My favorites this year are Maddie, Mara, Jonny, and Jurnee. Caleb's most likely going to win, but at least I don't mind him like others in the past (*cough* Scotty *cough*). He has a decent voice and a nice personality.

I don't mind Catie and Ada, but I'm guessing Idol's audience will hate them with a fiery passion.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, sinycalone said:

Did not see a few of the performances....but Maddie just blew me away.

I so agree. Her performance was magical. I love her voice but sadly she sings songs from another era...my era. Idk how marketable she would be.

• Love 10

Wow, the nerves must have been fierce tonight!  Definitely have heard better from almost all of them.  I thought Maddie was awesome, liked Marcio, Michael, Cade, and Gabby.  The rest were just meh for me.

• Love 4

Bandzilla reared it's ugly head for a quite a few singers tonight.

I think Caleb made a mistake picking a largely unknown song (and struggling with Bandzilla).

Gaby's mimicry got all scrambled as she alternated sounding like Miley and Carrie. She is clearly the anointed one though, two pimp spots in three weeks time. Methinks they still may need to save her with a judges pick.

I was mildly in on Cade on his first couple of performances, now I'm almost all the way off. He is ridiculously arrogant the more we see of him. He is also a complete one trick pony because if he actually sang a song in a different tempo than every song he's sang this entire season....his diction and enunciation really would come across like a SNL version of a 70's rocker.

I know she's toast, but at least there is some universe where Michelle could have like Kat Deluna type success (maybe three or four songs on the radio and in the public consciousness). Can you say that about Michael? Marcio? Catie? Dennis? Mara?

Marcio just gave us his cruise ship entertainment audition tape tonight.

Really liked Maddie, she probably had the performance of the night for me. Dennis had a strong performance as well.

• Love 4

Caleb: is more charming and charismatic than either of the designated heartthrobs, so making a play for their title is the right move. Still won't get him through, but a good idea nonetheless.

Michelle: She sure knows how to throw her hair around. She's not a great singer, but how many modern pop girls are? She's also a better dancer than most of them and gives good energy. I could see her being successful post-Idol.

Marcio: Cruise ship. But he’s fun! I’m glad this was a tears-free performance

Mara: She was too young for that song even if she did attempt to justify it with a tragic backstory.

Garrett: He sounded a lot better tonight than he has in earlier performances.

Ada: To be perfectly honest I started a crossword when I took note of who was next.

Catie: Y’all called it on the slow glamming. I’m not a fan of her but she was one the better performances of the night. (Sidenote:  How many of Katy’s ~haters~ are legitimate criticism said snippily?)

Cade: Are there any legacy acts in need of a new frontman? I think he’d do better in that sort of role than he would as a winner of AI trying to market new music.

Dennis: This man's song choices stay bad.

Maddie: Of all the contestants, I have the clearest vision of who Maddie will be and the kind of music she’ll put out. She’s someone I can easily see myself streaming and hearing in the background of my daily life.

Journee: She’s kinda awkward running around on stage but also one of the best singers (and a proficient rapper!). Surprised she did better on the Ari parts than the Jessie J verse of the song, but Jessie J is an excellent technician.

Jonny: Brendon Urie is, in my opinion, one of the best male vocalists in the current pop/rock landscape. Jonny is……………………… not. Even if he was better on a technical level, his timbre is a terrible match for the song.

Michael: He’s so endearing and so versatile and I love him and his voice and his jumpsuits.

Gabby: I feel like Ryan was low-key mocking her for being so twangy when she’s from Pittsburgh; I can’t blame him for it. She’s a good singer but just doesn’t click for me. I don’t find her even remotely authentic or believable.

My top six for tonight:

1. Maddie
  2. Michael
  3. Journee
  4. Catie (grudgingly)
  5. Cade
  6. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

General thoughts: I hope next year they do a greater number of live shows so I can get more THEME NIGHTS. Theme nights were such a great part of original recipe Idol for me. Even when someone flopped because they were, like, a country singer attempting disco, they flopped in a way that entertained me!

• Love 14

Did they all have dinner at the Marbles House (slogan: "Enunciation, Schmenunciation!")?

I thought Jurnee was exceptional, but perhaps with a not-quite-Idol song,  heh.

Country ain't my thang,  dawgs, so no other opinions there. 

I don't care if Cade is the new Clapton; his voice is sub-par. 

And Jonny is below THAT! Boy cannot carry a tune!

Catie (did I not say to mark my words?) now had the make-up. Good performance, not great.  She seemed constrained at the mic. 

Mara J,  WTH words were you singing?! I had CC on and still had difficulty! Still love your voice,  though,  gurl!

Adam,  Adam,  Adam. Really? You keep singing songs I've heard Adam Lambert sing,  I'll keep comparing. 

Prediction: One of the supposed "heart-throbs" (Jonny?) will be eliminated. Have no clue about the rest!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 7

Caleb - I wasn't a fan of the song choice and he, along with pretty much everyone except Maddie and maybe Michael tonight, were fighting against Bandzilla. I tossed 5 votes his way (I deducted half because it wasn't his best) but I fear he will have to sing for the wildcard tomorrow given that he was given the death slot. Hope he sticks around one way or another because I like his tone.

Michelle - She's toast. The song choice sucked and her vocals were not that good. The only thing she had going for her was that she looked like a pop star and she performed pretty well. But the rest isn't cutting it for me. I predict she'll go home tomorrow.

Marcio - The performance was fun and energetic but the song choice was lame as hell. Very cheesy. Outdated. I gave him 5 votes because of the performance part of it and his past performances. I think he'll end up having to sing for the wildcard though.

Mara - I wish she had had a little more control over her emotions here. But I think overall she did pretty well, though her voice was shaky a lot of the time from holding back tears. I gave her 5 votes for choosing something she connected with and she is growing a lot. She has potential. She may just squeak into the top 10 tomorrow.

Garrett - Not awful, but this was nothing spectacular. It's hard to say whether he will go home or make it to the top 10. Unless the girls are voting for him, I think he's toast. The others are just head and shoulders above him. 

Ada - Ugh. Like all the others tonight, she was drowned out by the band A LOT. It must have sounded a lot better in the studio because on TV it sounded like a screamy, pitchy mess. Not her best. It could have been epic but there were some pitch issues and fighting with the band. I gave her 5 votes because of past performances and her overall talent. Hard to say if she'll get in the top 10 or not. May be a wildcard pick.

Catie - Thought she was actually one of the better performers tonight. When I saw the song choice I thought she'd tank but she actually did pretty well. Raising the key just a bit really helped her. But I think the beginning and end parts were better than the middle for her. Again, fighting the band. Given how polarizing she is, I think she's a lock for top 10.

Cade - I still just don't get this guy at all. All his performances sound exactly the same and he does the same thing in all of them. His vocals are nonexistent. Good guitar player, great showmanship. Nothing more. Katy asking for a lock of his hair was creepy AF. Nevertheless, he seems pretty popular so I guess he's a lock for top 10.

Dennis - He's beginning to falter with these song choices. He too was fighting the band. I only gave him 5 votes because of his past efforts and this one was ok but not great. I think he'll have to sing for the wildcard tomorrow.

Maddie - Easily the best of the night BY FAR. She was the only one who didn't have to fight the band and it worked immensely in her favor. Really smart song choice too. Wow. Lock for top 10 easily. Hers is probably the only performance from tonight I would watch again.

Jurnee - Oh Jurnee. She's probably my favorite girl, but this was a bad choice. She is better than songs like this. She does incidentally remind me of a black Ariana Grande. She did do pretty well with the vocals. But the rap was a bunch of mushmouth I couldn't understand. Props to her for trying to show some versatility I guess and Ariana isn't easy to do. But she should pick songs with more substance in the future. Her voice is better than that. I gave her 10 votes and I think in any case she will make top 10.

Jonny - It was forgettable IMO and he was drowned out by the band. He should have never made it this far and I think he'll go home tomorrow.

Michael - Second best performance of the night after Maddie IMO. I really enjoy him and he's adorably awkward. I gave him 10 votes. Think/hope he'll make it to top 10.

Gabby - I can't stand that fake country twang she puts on everything. The Climb has been done to death on these shows. I can't believe Luke really thought this was the best vocal of the night over Maddie. And I don't think she deserved the closing spot. But because she's the sole country girl, I think she'll make it top 10. The only thing I do agree with is that she looks the part of a star.

Predictions for top 10:

Voted in by America: Cade, Gabby, Catie, Jurnee, Michael, Maddie

Wildcard picks: Dennis, Caleb, Ada, Mara

Garrett, Johnny, Michelle all deserve to go home. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, BogoGog24 said:

Predictions for top 10:

Voted in by America: Cade, Gabby, Catie, Jurnee, Michael, Maddie

Wildcard picks: Dennis, Caleb, Ada, Mara

Garrett, Johnny, Michelle all deserve to go home. 

I’m thinking Garrett may stay and Dennis will leave. 

• Love 1

Katie's totally going to use that hair of Cade's to make a poppet...

Speaking of Cade - I liked Cade two week's ago when I first heard him, and I still appreciate his appreciation for classic rock and bringing it to the Idol stage.  I want him to continue just for that.  

But now my pick is Maddie.  Damn girl...she killed it two weeks in a row.

I really liked Michael J, too.  

Edited by Nessie
finished watching show so added appreciation for Michael J.
  • Love 9

I haven’t watched American Idol in years. I gave up on The Voice very early. I think I watched all of season one but the other seasons were too exhausting. There are too many rounds. The last show I watched was X Factor UK but eventually that got tiresome too. I put this on today while I was washing dishes and then ended up getting sucked into it. Some thoughts…

I’m surprised how much it feels like the same old show. Of course there’s Ryan (which feels uncomfortable given the allegations). But everything just has the same vibe. I appreciated that Garrett even made an attempt to eye-fuck the camera. All I need is Ford commercials.

A nice change was that the one female judge isn’t loopy or crazy. Katy Perry might not be the best singer and she can make super awkward and/or problematic choices but she gave generally solid critiques without being the mean judge.

My biggest issue? Where the heck is the talent this season? At least from episode, most of them can’t sing. They still only sing for like a minute and a half, right? You should be able to sustain a song that length without so many problems so even if there’s a good, untrained voice in there, to me that means they can’t sing and should never have made it this far. Are there too many singing competitions, artists who already have recording contracts, etc.? Or is this what happens when you skew young and attractive instead of just looking for talent?

Garrett was the first one I almost liked but I was surprised how much of a musical theater sounding voice he had. It was very clean.

Ada Vox had more of an X Factor performance as Idol has never really been about the production. Loved the styling. The voice was an improvement over the others but still had its weaknesses. These people need to learn breath support. They have all the Idol bad habits with the runs and the high notes and screlting but their voices sound thing because they’re not properly supported.

OK, Catie made me laugh with her “if we’re honest, no.” I think the low notes were a little low for her but she was the first one who seemed to be singing properly. She doesn’t have the soul for that song though. You need a full-bodied voice and resonance that doesn’t fit her voice. It was less “church” and more rock. The only one I genuinely like so far.

Watching Cade’s package, I thought he would be perfect for them to sell if he can sing. He can’t. The screaming isn’t bad but any time I could hear the actual singing…? Yeah, no.

OK, Dennis. There we go. Not perfect but, like Catie, a hell of a lot closer than the others.

OK, so Maddie is one of the ringers, right? She hinted at getting close to a professional career and you can definitely hear that in her vocals. Given her voice, it was basically flawless. It never sounded like she was trying to do something her voice couldn’t do which is what I got from most of the others. It could be a little more supported but I think that breathy thing was a choice.

Jurnee is good but she's definitely the missing member of Little Mix. This song (which is a trio) didn't help with that. She's good but in this performance, she didn't feel like a star. She felt like she was singing along to an awkward karaoke track because the rest of her girl group was missing. It was a little sloppy, nothing terrible, but it felt more awkward because of the song choice.

Jonny feels like early Finn on Glee but with more of Kurt's face. I was not expecting his voice to be that low. I hear potential but he clearly doesn't have the support or control. He's cute (I mean, enough for Idol) and a nice tone but that's about it. If he pushed more, it would be very sloppy. He's tentative enough that his voice doesn't really crack too badly. 

Oh, Michael. The traditional Idol fucking up the melody and the tempo/phrasing. I almost thought we were going to get out of it. His voice is relatively good but even though they're not so young that they're still going through puberty, I just feel like so many of the voices this season are not developed yet. It was also very much based on the vocals. He had little connection to the words and I got bored. 

Gabby is very pretty. She reminds me a little of Demi Lovato. This one was a little difficult for me because I hate Miley Cyrus. Arguably, Gabby sang this pretty close to the track but I hate the track and all of Miley's vocal ticks and nasality, etc. Great control and support and power though. I would have to hear her sing another (not terrible) song to know what her voice sounds like. But if she doesn't sound exactly like this all the time, then yes, I like her.

I liked Katy’s rainbow outfit with her hair.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Jurnee is good but she's definitely the missing member of Little Mix.

I was trying to figure out who her outfit was reminding me of and you cracked it for me!

comp1.jpg.0b96139d257dbd76bee11f7257ff088a.jpgcomp2.jpg.99de273edf2fd4747bad0f82f5f32a01.jpg

Leigh-Anne in the Power video, duh.

• Love 2

The show tonight:

• Garrett and Jonny are going to stick around a lot longer than necessary. When you are easy on the eyes, it makes it easier for the grannies and their granddaughters to vote for you.
  • Why in the name of Jesse J did Jurnee choose that song? I could barely hear her over the music and she couldn't stand still. Plus, it didn't show off her voice. Nevertheless, the judges will choose her if she has to sing tomorrow.
  • Speaking of "standing still," why are singers choosing songs that do nothing for their ability? Case in point, Marcio walked around as if he had ants in his pants. Plus, he ruined the lone Barry Manilow song I liked. Go back to being a single dad again.
  • Mara is annoying and Michelle's JLo/Selena/Shakira act is tiresome and boring. She should've tried out for So You Think You Can Dance instead. I hope they're gone tomorrow.
  • Cade is a curly, dark-haired Casey James from Season 10: A decent guitar playing, lame singing Texan. See you next week.
  •  Dennis was good, but a tweener: he could go home or the judges will have sympathy for him and send him through.
  • It would not surprise me if one or both of the country singers (Caleb and Gabby) go through. I think Gabby has the best shot. 
  • Normally, I don't like Sarah Maclaughlin types on singing shows, but Maddie was very good. It helped that she didn't have bandzilla playing over her singing. She's a shoo-in. I'd like to see more variety from her a la Crystal Bowersox before I jump on the bandwagon.
  • Catie? I don't know about her. She should sing her originals instead. I feel nothing for her when she sings other people's songs.
  • I may be in the minority, but Ada/m should sing one week as Ada and another as Adam. He's good at both. Regardless, I think s/he'll be sent through.
  • Finally, Michael to me was the best last night. But it's time to drop the Jiffy Lube uniform because he looks like he has to work the night shift after the live shows.
Although the judges made some slight constructive criticism, there were too many standing Os for no reason from them. It was very Voice-like if you ask me.
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Nedsdag said:

Mara is annoying and Michelle's JLo/Selena/Shakira act is tiresome and boring. She should've tried out for So You Think You Can Dance instead. I hope they're gone tomorrow.

Glad to find I'm not alone.  These two seem to have been rehearsing for the better part of their lives.  Too calculated.  I don't like it.

The worst thing about tonight affected most of them, that being the way the orchestra and back up singers seemed to be competing with the contestants for the spotlight.  Sometimes the contestants were nearly drowned out.  It worked against several of them.  

• Love 9

Dennis was the best tonight for me.  I love that song -- and I never even heard it before.

Maddie is a very close second.  Fantastic job!

I really want to like Michael -- love his personality -- but he is just completely fucking up these songs.  He is a perfect example of resonating with the studio audience and the judges, but just not translating on screen.

I really hope there's support out there for some of the black artists.  That's the reason American Idol continues to fail in the ratings.  It's not appealing to young, urban viewers.  

• Love 1

Sundry notes:

--Top 10 on is always live.

--Ruben Studdard won Season Two. Idol has from the git-go supported "black artists." 

--Sir Elton John has had a stellar career singing Bernie Taupin's words. Art Garfunkel likewise, with Paul Simon's songs. If a singer seems detached from his or her performance, it isn't because the song isn't an original of the singer, just as a great acting performance doesn't depend on the actor's having written the script.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

--Ruben Studdard won Season Two. Idol has from the git-go supported "black artists." 

Didn’t Fantasia Barrino, Jordin Sparks and Jennifer Hudson also win? 

Edit: oops, Jennifer Hudson did not. But it just goes to show you only have to get far enough in the competition to get noticed by important people and your career is the same as if you won AI.

Edited by gardendiva
  • Love 5

I'm in shock that everyone loved Maddie; I have loved her, and I thought that "Homeward Bound" seemed like a good song choice.

BUT…I thought her falsetto failed her several times, and I could have sworn I saw her flinching at it.  I was thinking "well, don't sing Simon & Garfunkel if you don't have Art's falsetto" and I was regretting that she might be going "homeward bound" for real.  But if the audience heard differently, well, then.

I do, however, refuse to back down from hating that Star Trek/cheerleader outfit they put her in.  Man, that was U-G-L-Y, they ain't go no alibi.  In contrast, Catie Go-Go-Boots, Production's Pet, was very nicely styled, both the hair and the outfit.  Manufactured "duckling/swan transformation" storyline? Oh, never!

But of course, we hurt Catie's feelings when we criticize her.  Well, if hating Catie is wrong, I don't want to be right.  (No chance she's leaving, though.  Ada might get cut, but Catie's good for this round; the judges would keep her, even if somehow she fell short on votes.)

Speaking of bad outfits, wasn't it nice of Michael J. to stop off at the auditorium after changing a set of rings at the garage?  JFC, what was with that jumpsuit?  I hope they fired the "stylist" before the show was over.

PS, show…"Black Magic Woman" is a Fleetwood Mac song.  The Santana version was a bigger hit (#4 US) but Peter Green wrote it, and it's not as if it sank unnoticed on its first release (#37 UK).  Also, I'm not sure if it's wise to do a song whose most famous singer (Gregg Rolie) got bounced from his next lead singer gig (with Journey) because management though he wasn't good enough; it suggests that it's not exactly a "singer's song".  Mind you, I thought Journey's management was entirely wrong to banish Gregg to the keyboards (never a Steve Perry fan) and Cade is relying on his guitar more than his voice, but still.  Of course, he's completely safe, anyway.

Two consecutive pimp spots for Gabby?  Well, somebody must like her, a lot.  I think she's fine, but seriously…"The Climb"? Really?? I can just imagine how Simon would have blasted her for that song choice, back in the day.  What's next week, "Party in the U.S.A."?  Sheesh.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 5

I really liked Maddie a lot; I think they realized they have a winner with her later than they expected, but they're trying to make up for not giving her more coverage in the early rounds my giving her the friendly band.  I didn't dislike anyone else, but now we're starting to get outside their audition-song second choices, and it's showing. 

Generally, I think the band overdid it less when they played their own instruments.

Song choices were all over the map--I hope they use the judges' saves to help those people.  Otherwise, let us pick or not as we see appropriate.

I've always watched AI but does this year gave an over abundance of teenagers than years past?

Yes, I think because either they grew up watching the show, and it's been a childhood dream, or because everyone over 21 auditioned the last season it was on Fox, and might not be eligible again (or realized they weren't what AI was seeking, or both).

Right now it's between Maddie, Caleb, Jurnee, maybe Catie, and...whomever does well next week.

I almost feel sorry for someone if they do a judge's save two weeks in a row and save the same person--almost.

2 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

Two of the three; Jennifer was a famous "shocking" elimination.

Of course, it would have been difficult for both her and Fantasia to win, given that they were both in the same season (3).

• Love 6

I do, however, refuse to back down from hating that Star Trek/cheerleader outfit they put her in.

"Star Trek/cheerleader outfit" is now my favorite phrase, but I don't need to see one again (except maybe as part of a cosplay competition.)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

Two of the three; Jennifer was a famous "shocking" elimination.

Of course, it would have been difficult for both her and Fantasia to win, given that they were both in the same season (3).

Yeah, I edited my post after looking it up to be sure. All these seasons start blending into each other. ?

aleb: is more charming and charismatic than either of the designated heartthrobs, so making a play for their title is the right move. Still won't get him through, but a good idea nonetheless.

Michelle: She sure knows how to throw her hair around. She's not a great singer, but how many modern pop girls are? She's also a better dancer than most of them and gives good energy. I could see her being successful post-Idol.

Marcio: Cruise ship. But he’s fun! I’m glad this was a tears-free performance

Mara: She was too young for that song even if she did attempt to justify it with a tragic backstory.

Garrett: He sounded a lot better tonight than he has in earlier performances.

Ada: To be perfectly honest I started a crossword when I took note of who was next.

Catie: She can sing - not "Take Me To Church", but others. The glamming has begun. She's just such a kook that she's funny to watch.

Cade: Classic rock music is NEVER the ones to go thru on AI. It's usually pop or R & B. So I don't get everyone saying he's a shoe in just because he's a rocker. Rock is my favorite and they usually don't make it through very long.

Dennis: This is sad and I'm embarrassed to ask - but which one is Dennis? I know all of them except him. 

Maddie: Not really a folk music fan, but I do like her style and she sings all her songs beautifully. (but I really hated the falsetto last night and also that fake affected type style she pulls out once in awhile that EVERY female singer auditions with at the audition phase.

Journee: I have already said - not a fan of pop or R & B, but I do like her voice. and she's cute and has the right "look" of a pop star, not to mention a "cool" name. I predict she will go far.

Jonny: He should have not even made it through the first round. I suspect the dad not wanting to support him at first was a fake story to get sympathy because all of a sudden - gee, Dad is there every week now and "oh,so supportive".

Michael: He just seems so sweet. I am not a huge fan of his style of music and I thought he butchered Titanium. And the coveralls - maybe he was trying to be the updated of the Village People...or I guess since it's just him, it would be the Village Person. (If I didn't think he was such a sweetheart, I'd say Village Idiot.)

Gabby: Too Kellie Pickler, Carrie Underwood - only not as good of a singer as either of them. 

Ava - Just too over the top. But with everything so PC these days, nobody wants to be the one to vote off the "different" one. Last night, at least he had all his giblets covered, but all he did was screetch and scream that song. Someone else mentioned how they kept comparing him to Adam Lambert because he keeps making similar song choices. He sure isn't measuring up to Adam or Freddie Mercury. 

And as for all of them - I wish AI would remove the sob stories altogether. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with their talent. 

• Love 3

I'm beginning to think country boy Caleb got lucky with his song choices in the early rounds because he has not impressed me since. But he looks great.

I felt like Catie's was the first voice that I could hear and enjoy. Everyone else just seemed flat and/or muted.

Cade continues to be a one-trick pony. 

My favorites are probably Maddie and Gabby at this point. Gabby totally bugs, though, with the fake country twang. I wish Harry Connick was here to call her out on it.

I want to like Jurnee, but it feels like she's not connecting emotionally with the songs or the audience.

I thought there was some good criticism from the judges, but it is definitely reaching Voice levels of ridiculousness with so much unwarranted praise.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 3

I don’t know what the big deal is with Cade. His voice isn’t all that great and if he didn’t have his guitar he would be lost. Worst of all, every time I look at him I am reminded of Weird Al Yankovic.

F10466F6-A2AB-4018-A981-694983837268.jpeg

Edited by gardendiva
  • Love 9

Catie's hair looked good!  Clever way to deal with a low hairline.  I like her. 

I like Ada, too. 

This season is not grabbing  me and I thought it would, at first. 

ETA.  Maddie is the stand out and has a shot at winning.  I forgot to mention her.  I find the other two fascinating. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

I don’t know what the big deal is with Cade. His voice isn’t all that great and if he didn’t have his guitar he would be lost. Worst of all, every time I look at him I am reminded of Weird Al Yankovic.

Also, nothing about his sound is current.  And he has a boring personality.  Definitely over rated.  Whereas someone like Michael is under rated.

• Love 8

IMHO Maddie SHOULD win which means she probably won't ... she is not only an amazing singer, she's unique in that as far as I can remember, they've never had a winner remotely like her (Carrie was a straight out country girl and Kelly was a belter) ... her voice is like molten gold. I believe she's actually modern and relevant and could be a HUGE star if handled right (not that they ever handle things right but ...)

• Love 5

These who I think will make the top ten (not who I like but who I think):

Ada- I thought he had the best vocals of the night! He is on a different level than the others.

Maddie - She did a great job yesterday. I like her voice and she should be one of the favorites to win.

Gabby - She sounded, and looked like a star in the making last night.

Catie - I like her! She might be cooky but she can sing!

Cade - He probably won't have the best vocals of the ten but he's a rocker, and he is going to have to win votes with great performances.

Jurnee - If the judges and voters are going by previous performances, then Jurnee will make it. Last night song choice didn't showcase her voice at all. The production team, vocal coaches should advise them that this is a singing competition. Leave these kinds of songs when you are the remaining two in the finals.

Mara - I know she is only 16 yrs old and she was full of emotion...again, but maybe she is just not ready mentally to take the kind of pressure that will come to her. Another questionable song choice. What happens if she gets eliminated? She'll probably break down like other 16 yr olds have done in past reality shows. I predict the judges will save her but the viewers will become tired of her tears week after week.

Marcio - Another cry baby! On top of that, he wasn't very good! Unfortunately, I think the judges like him and will save him.

Caleb - The tweeners will have at it with him. Plus, the show needs a country dude.

Michael - It's obvious the judges like him. I think he shouldn't have made it this far.

Bits and Pieces:  I think for the most part the judges are trying to find the American Idol winner. Katie Perry has impressed me the most as a judge. I don't like or listen to her music. I thought she would be like another JLo, who didn't like to give a negative critique. Lionel Ritchie and Luke Bryan have also been great, but Lionel has been the one I think that every contestant wants to have a positive critique from. Good job from the judges thus far! 

Someone posted that Cade doesn't have a good voice and all he does is shout, and the only thing good about him is his guitar playing. To me what they're really saying is they just don't like HIM! There have been many contestants who didn't have a good voice but were liked by many or were cute or "had their own style going", and those traits overcame the lack of a good voice. But because people don't like him or the music he plays, people are questioning why he made it this far.     

• Love 1

Last night's show with all the glitz and glamour showed me what is wrong with Idol. I smile every time I think of how Clay and Kelly describe the first two seasons of the show. They call them the "ghetto years"! No live bands, no over wrought background singers, and judges who weren't hugely famous on their own(at least for those seasons anyway!). I hate that the judges are introduced by having them come on stage as stars who seem to be bigger than the show itself. And as everyone has pointed out, you can't hear the contestants because of all the background music and singers. Back in the day, the kids recorded their own backgrounds and you could actually hear them sing!

The other thing that is upsetting is that we won't really get to know the contestants. This show will be over before it starts! In the good old days, the show ran from January to May....lots of singing and themes! The age requirements have also been lowered and raised...so we have much younger(much, much younger in some cases) and somewhat older contestants. Everyone in season 2 was at  20-25 with the exception of Carmen, who was the baby of the group. They were housed together in a mansion so they grew close during the run of the show. They weren't allowed to use the internet and social media such that it was at that time so they didn't realize how popular they were getting. There was an innocence about those two seasons and a real singing contest which with the addition of instruments has turned into a talent contest.

How I wish for those days again! Now the judges are so much of the show that at times it seems more about them than the singers. I even liked the guest judges during the second season: they actually added interesting commentary! Who can ever forget Neil Sedaka's reaction to Clay singing Solitaire? Are we even going to get any theme week this year? I like Maddie and Michael but I am not invested in anyone and I think I am actually watching from habit not because anyone has grabbed  my attention. I know "you can't go home again" but I sure wish you could!

• Love 16

I just realized that Cade is Johnny Bravo.  He fits the suit.  Except that suit went out of style in 1994.

Thankfully someone put Adam in a loose dress thing.  Too bad it was so campy looking John Waters would approve.

This Caleb kid is a charmer.  I could see him getting acting work.

i really think Jurnee should be the whole package, but she’s awfully forgettable.  As is what’s her name 16yo and all the guys except Caleb.

when I don’t have to spend too much time with Catie, I like her.  I hope this is the extent of her makeover, because she has a look, and it feels like her everyday thing.

Sorry but these judges are AWFUL.  I like Lionel in theory, but he’s too warm and fuzzy. Katie seems to be drugged/drunk, and Luke IMO is a moron.   Their presence is useless. 

You can sing country without a twang, especially if you are from north of he Mason Dixon line.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, gardendiva said:

Edit: oops, Jennifer Hudson did not. But it just goes to show you only have to get far enough in the competition to get noticed by important people and your career is the same as if you won AI.

You can slip Candace Glover into her place.  She is another black winner.  

On the Idol home page, there's a small section of seven clips headed American Idol Icons.  It includes Jessica Sanchez, Ruben, Kris Allen, Todrick Hall, Pia Toscano, Justin Guarini and Mandisa.   Todrick Hall was cut at top 16, Mandisa at top 9.  

Team Maddie as well!  I have loved her from the get go.

They all get a bit of a pass being their first live show.

Catie really did look lovely tonight and toned the annoyance down a bit.  She sounded pretty good. I didn't hate her.

Caleb.....I think he is a good combination of humble and humor.  I hope he makes it through.  I was surprised he went first.

Michael, I love this kid.....didn't love the song choice but still want to see him go through.

Cade....didn't wow me last night but I don't want him to go home.

Jurnee.......this is the first time I haven't loved her, she reminds me of a mix of a young Janet Jackson and Beyoncé though.

Marcio.....nope, bad song choice.

Ada.....did nothing for me.  Make up was pretty.

Gabby.....she did a good job.  I was very surprised to see her mother in the audience since she gives all credit to her father.  I assumed the mom was out of the picture.

Mara......I think she needs a couple of more years under her belt.

Dennis....forgettable.....cannot even tell you what he sang.

Jonny....remind me why he made it through?  Not heartthrob material....too lanky and awkward and is not a great singer.

Garrett......he is pretty but not a great singer.

Michelle.......she has a chance at a JLo type career......she is cute, can dance and can probably be coached well enough to make it on some level.