Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Bachelor/ette Party

• Start Topic

Charles plans an elaborate scavenger hunt for Jake's bachelor party, but the day goes awry when the guys decide to take some short cuts instead. Meanwhile, Amy's bachelorette party escalates when the ladies realize she previously slept with a member of her soon-to-be wedding band.

"You've made an enemy for life."-Reginald VelJohnson

I swear, its like Gina is a character from some other show that somehow wandered onto this one. While everyone else have their faults, they have a sweet core, while Gina just seems like a selfish usually one dimensional jerk. She can be funny and she has some good lines, but I would like her more if the characters acknowledged that she was a dick sometimes. 

Other than that, it was a really fun episode, and I love the friendship between Charles and Jake. And Holt and his jaunty cap was just delightful. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I would like her more if the character acknowledged that she was a dick sometimes. 

I thought that's what she did in this episode.

3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Holt and his jaunty cap was just delightful. 

All of Horndog Holt was delightful. Even Jake found some of it to be an overshare.

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

I thought that's what she did in this episode.

14 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Ah, I meant to say characters, like the other people on this show, acknowledged it a bit more. I do appreciate that she made an effort not to be mean to Amy at her party, but thats kind of like asking to be thanked for not punching someone in the face every day. 

The only way Horndog Holt could have been better is if he drunk dialed Kevin. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 13

I love how good of a friend Rosa has been to Amy the last two episodes (in her own Rosa-rrific way, of course). And Charles, forever striving to be the best BFF that ever lived. Dear, sweet, well-meaning and yet totally bonkers Charles. What a guy.

Raymond in a Kangol hat was a delight.

• Love 20

That was awesome.

Ok, Charles' scavenger hunt idea was fun, but I feel like Amy would have totally loved it. 

Yes to Raymond coming out to the bachelor party. Him and Drunk Terry were great. I like how they concluded that plot as well. Jake was wrong for trying to lie to Boyle about the scavenger hunt and cheating his way to the end. But he also got to let Boyle know that the scavenger hunt wasn't really about him. It was a nice friendship moment between the two...and then hilarity when Terry and Raymond got to interject. 

The Amy stuff was almost really great....if not for stupid Gina ruining it with her consistent remarks about how hard it was to be a nice person. Boo hoo for you, Gina. Go away. They literally had a chance to tone her down, to show the actual positives to Gina/Amy's relationship, as she has been nice to Amy on occasion (mostly when the two are alone), but they doubled down on her mean streak. So she took away from what could have been an epic and fun adventure.

As always, Jake and Amy are couple goals. I'm glad they turned that trope on its head at the end. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

But it then made me wonder if he bought that hat especially for the bachelor party or if he already had it because of some previous adventure that I now need to know about. 

Holt once pretended to be Samuel L. Jackson for a case. The suspect was quite racist and accepted the disguise instantly.

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Does anyone know who played Constantine? It's driving me nuts!

That silly looking guy curly haired dude from Workaholics who somehow got cute since becoming famous. He didn't even have a jawline a couple of years ago. 

Then (right):

Workaholics-blake-anderson-adam-devine-a

Now (left):

Game-Over-Man-Movie-Trailer-2-Netflix.jp

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

That silly looking guy curly haired dude from Workaholics who somehow got cute since becoming famous. He didn't even have a jawline a couple of years ago. 

Then (right):

Workaholics-blake-anderson-adam-devine-a

Now (left):

Game-Over-Man-Movie-Trailer-2-Netflix.jp

Wait, what?!

• Love 4

I don't know the last time I laughed as hard as I did when Holt did that high-pitched "Nothing???????????????" But I also got a kick out of the screeching noise Jake threatened to make until Reginald agreed to take them to the party boat. 

That said, I didn't really think it was in character for Holt to say that Kevin had gotten him really horny that morning. He hadn't even been drinking yet at that point. That just doesn't sound like something he'd say.

As opposed to "I have a plan." Then nothing. Then when it's pointed out to him, "Oh my, I am quite intoxicated."

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

That said, I didn't really think it was in character for Holt to say that Kevin had gotten him really horny that morning. He hadn't even been drinking yet at that point. That just doesn't sound like something he'd say.

To be fair, he never said what made him horny. He could have been pulling a classic H-O-L-T and been super literal. Saying somethin like Kevin bought him a silly hat with horns on it could have been "Kevin got me horny this morning." Or, more likely, Kevin likely used a new word in context that H-O-L-T had never heard and he was turned on to expand his vocabulary (or something equally boring like finding a typo in his copy of today's New York Times headline). 

• Love 3

To be fair, he never said what made him horny. He could have been pulling a classic H-O-L-T and been super literal. Saying somethin like Kevin bought him a silly hat with horns on it could have been "Kevin got me horny this morning." Or, more likely, Kevin likely used a new word in context that H-O-L-T had never heard and he was turned on to expand his vocabulary (or something equally boring like finding a typo in his copy of today's New York Times headline). 

Except that he brought this up by way of explaining how he had a "racy" story to tell. I suppose that, too, might only be racy to Holt, but the entire remark felt off. 

• Love 2

I don't remember seeing Amy's friend Kylie before.  She's into word etymology, apparently.  Is this something they set up in a previous episode, or are we just supposed to presume that anyone friend with Amy would be into something so nerdy?

35 minutes ago, Roaster said:

I don't remember seeing Amy's friend Kylie before.  She's into word etymology, apparently.  Is this something they set up in a previous episode, or are we just supposed to presume that anyone friend with Amy would be into something so nerdy?

Kylie was in the episode where Amy went missing before her Sergeant's Exam. Before that Amy had mentioned her a few times but I don't think she was ever on-screen. I don't think we knew about the etymology before but it does suit someone who is Amy's friend.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, SHD said:

Title of your sextant tape. Holt is the best.

I believe you meant Kangol Raymond. That remark would be below Captain H-O-L-T. 

RVJ threatening to tell Bruce Willis about Jake was great. The stricken look on Andy Samberg's face there. While the scavenger hunt was definitely the product of The Full Boyle, I liked how at the end, Jake pointed out that the worst part was that it took Boyle away from the party for so long and Jake wanted him to be there for the party. The Jake-Charles friendship has always been well done by the show. It's so much more than hero worship on one side and sneering tolerance on the other. 

It was also good how the evening ended with both parties coming together and Jake not being jealous of the lead singer. Which is also to the show's credit how well the Jake-Amy relationship has been developed. 

• Love 13

For a while I was thinking that Boyle had planned for Jake to skip the scavenger hunt, but I'm glad I was wrong because I like being surprised.

Anyway, I loved this. I even liked Gina. I'm one person (of many here) who wouldn't mind if she left the show, but I thought it was pretty funny how she was holding back her meanness, and how difficult it was for her.

Loved all the lame "I never have ever" things Gina and Rosa were throwing out that Amy had never done, like skipping reading the Terms and Conditions and sitting thru all the credits of a movie.

And Jake's bachelor party was great, too. I felt bad for Charles, but they made up, so all's well.

Jake: Why don't we take this map and this sextant and chart a course to the restaurant.
Raymond: Title of your sextant tape.
Jake: That did not work at all but I LOVE that you attempted it. Title of YOUR sextant tape.

Terry: I don't want fanny granola!

Jake: All we have to do is decipher this list of random numbers.
Raymond: Huh. I wonder one of them is… 6-9….

Raymond: Everyone calm down. It'll be fine. I have an idea. … Why is everyone looking at me.
Jake: You just said you had an idea then you stopped talking.
Raymond: My goodness. I 'm very intoxicated.

Raymond: I'll just put on a coy smile and say, "Noth-thing?"

Raymond: I ate mine. 
Charles: You ate your coin.
Raymond: Yes. I thought it was chocolate.
Charles: But you hate chocolate. It has.. [air quotes] too much taste.

Hitchcock: I'm Lucius Lion, record executive at… Executive Records.

And finally, Amy stealing the contract from Crying-Wedding-Band-Man-Bun:  "Zoink!"

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

That was awesome.

Ok, Charles' scavenger hunt idea was fun, but I feel like Amy would have totally loved it. 

Yes to Raymond coming out to the bachelor party. Him and Drunk Terry were great. I like how they concluded that plot as well. Jake was wrong for trying to lie to Boyle about the scavenger hunt and cheating his way to the end. But he also got to let Boyle know that the scavenger hunt wasn't really about him. It was a nice friendship moment between the two...and then hilarity when Terry and Raymond got to interject. 

The Amy stuff was almost really great....if not for stupid Gina ruining it with her consistent remarks about how hard it was to be a nice person. Boo hoo for you, Gina. Go away. They literally had a chance to tone her down, to show the actual positives to Gina/Amy's relationship, as she has been nice to Amy on occasion (mostly when the two are alone), but they doubled down on her mean streak. So she took away from what could have been an epic and fun adventure.

As always, Jake and Amy are couple goals. I'm glad they turned that trope on its head at the end. 

Ron Swanson would have loved it too. I was surprised Holt didn't fare better since he also likes puzzles. I think this was the most hilarious episode of the season, thanks to both Drunk Amy and Drunk Holt.

Also, Andy Samberg's ability to hold a scream/screech is really impressive. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Except that he brought this up by way of explaining how he had a "racy" story to tell. I suppose that, too, might only be racy to Holt, but the entire remark felt off. 

It all seemed perfectly in line with how Holt's character has been developed. He is always well-researched, and thus knows that a level of raunchiness is traditionally expected at a bachelor party (though in fact, this one didn't go in that direction) and so as a loyal friend he obliges -- but as usual doesn't hit the tone and details as expected by the others. He knows that sexy anecdotes are expected, but he spoils it by launching on an excessively personal story that they don't want to hear. Similarly with the "6-9" business: he's in there trying to be a good party guy, but misses the mark.

If we're going to find a Holt choice truly out of character, what about diving into that steak dinner? When he could have had a simple protein cube, unsullied by flavor? 

• Love 16
9 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

RVJ threatening to tell Bruce Willis about Jake was great. The stricken look on Andy Samberg's face there.

That was so great. I really thought Jake was about to cry.

7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Terry: I don't want fanny granola!

Then in the very next scene, Terry is seen shaking what's left of the fanny granola into his mouth. Terry was hungry.

• Love 11
On 4/29/2018 at 9:14 PM, tennisgurl said:

He didn’t get all petty and jealous like guys in lesser sitcoms, he just found it kind of funny, but not a big deal, and promised not to bring it up again when Amy got embarrassed. Because Jake and Amy are awesome like that. 

10 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

The Jake-Charles friendship has always been well done by the show. It's so much more than hero worship on one side and sneering tolerance on the other.

So much YES to both of these.  It's why this is my favorite of the Shur Productions, and one of the best sit-coms around.

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Loved all the lame "I never have ever" things Gina and Rosa were throwing out that Amy had never done, like skipping reading the Terms and Conditions (which turned out to be important) and sitting thru all the credits of a movie. ("Those people worked hard!")

Hitchcock: I'm Lucius Lion, record executive at… Executive Records. [Points to Scully] "And that's Cookie!"  LOL

• Love 9
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Was Amy drunk? I kept waiting to see the different stages of Drunk Amy, as established in the episode where they went away for an overnight staff retreat and we met 1 drink Amy, 2 drink Amy, etc.

She wasn't drunk because she had never done any of the things mentioned during the game so she wasn't taking any shots.

• Love 1

I hope that next season there is some recurring in-the-shadows bad guy who is causing trouble for the 99 (Jake especially) and it is revealed to be Reginald VelJohnson.  If not that elaborate, he definitely needs to come back to be Jake's nemesis.  Hell, if they could get Bruce Willis to tell Jake he hates him, I would be very happy.

I was hoping Amy and Jake would join forces and she would help him solve the scavenger hunt and he would help her get revenge on her ex. Didn't really happen, but it was still a fun episode. Casual Holt is hilarious.

• Love 1
(edited)

Raymond in the Kangol, the Bach Boys and their fannypacks (or bumbags, as we call them in the UK), Terry being given permission to get wasted? What a start to an episode!

I did wonder about Hitchcock and Scully not being there, but Jake and Amy making a bet to see who got saddled with them made sense. It was nice to see Kylie again. But honestly, it would make more sense for Gina to have gone on Jake's night out. Because she's a complete bitch to Amy all the time, but is actually friends with Jake. But she did say one thing I completely agreed with: "I shouldn't have come back."

This is where bachelor party storylines fall down on TV shows. They always highlight that characters have little to no life outside their jobs or whatever the show is framed around. Jake only has three friends to invite to his bachelor party, and one of them is his boss? Not even any other colleagues? 

I did like Amy being unable to play Never Have I Ever successfully because... well, she's 'never'.  Adorably conscientious as usual.  The manbun guy was a complete loser, but of course Amy dated him because she was just too nice to tell him she didn't want to be with him. As others pointed out, this is something a lot of other shows would use to throw a last second wrench into the relationship (hell, Castle revealed a secret, Vegas wedding husband for Beckett, just before she was about to get married. Which is what made me finally give up on the show). I think the writers of Nine-Nine really enjoy taking these tropes and trashing them, because they're writing an adult relationship between two people who actually communicate.

Holt making a concerted effort to be in bachelor party mode, while Jake refused to get discouraged over Boyle's apparently crappy plans. Of course it was Terry who was immediately upset, because he did have that permission to get drunk, and he was hungry. 

I really liked Jake's sentiment that he wanted to just hang out with his friends, and Boyle's plans were for his own happiness, not Jake's. Boyle often seems to feel like he has to overcompensate to 'earn' Jake's friendship. But he doesn't, because Jake just likes being his friend. It's a beat that is totally in character for both of them. Reginald VelJohnson was a fun cameo. And yes, he should definitely come back. Hell, they should pull out all the stops and actually get Bruce Willis to appear as well.

Andre Braugher plays drunk really well. Not over the top, but absolutely clearly sloshed. "I ate mine. I thought it was chocolate."

Also, please have Rosa wear dresses like that more often. She has tremendous legs.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 5

This is where bachelor party storylines fall down on TV shows. They always highlight that characters have little to no life outside their jobs or whatever the show is framed around. Jake only has three friends to invite to his bachelor party, and one of them is his boss? Not even any other colleagues? 

I wish The Vulture had conned his way into the bachelor party.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

If we're going to find a Holt choice truly out of character, what about diving into that steak dinner? When he could have had a simple protein cube, unsullied by flavor? 

Nutrition brick, please!

44 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

That's why it was so great that Amy actually had a best friend who she doesn't work with.

My favorite part of the episode was Jake telling Charles that he wanted to spend the party with him, not on a scavenger hunt to find him.

• Love 6

I thought I heard it, too, but I’m pretty sure he did say Charles.  It was when Charles got “kidnapped,” right? It sounded like Terry yelled, “Joe, let us get in the limo....,” but on third watch I realized he did say Charles.

7 hours ago, Babalu said:

Did anyone else hear Terry call Charles “Joe” or did I imagine it?

Thank you!  I was just coming on here to say the same thing.  I heard Terry say Joe as well.

• Love 1
(edited)

Amy did not oversell it.  It really was a cray-cray night of funky fun, and I loved every minute of it! 

I was already dying at "the Batch boys" (why YES, I am a 13 year old boy) - only to laugh even harder when I found out that "Batch" was supposed to be "Bach" - short for "Bachelor." This show, I tell you! 

Amy's "he didn't read the terms and conditions" in a dismayed voice was perfection! "Fanny granola" and "noth-eeeennng" were also gold (24 karat, natch).  I also loved the "drunk loop" because seriously - who hasn't been there at one time or another/? 

Loved that Charles' password was “Dianne Wiest" although I totally expected it to be something involving Jake!

On 4/30/2018 at 3:15 PM, possibilities said:

I liked Kylie, and their friendship made total sense,  but it kind of made me sad that Rosa isn't Amy's BFF.

I think Rosa is her work BFF, while Kylie is likely her oldest friend/long term BFF.  I actually have several BFFs in my own life, and I think Amy can, too. :) 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 7

I did like Amy being unable to play Never Have I Ever successfully because... well, she's 'never'.  Adorably conscientious as usual. 

She couldn't take a drink to never having made a left turn without signaling, then suggested they use something easier like changing lanes without signaling, then realized she'd never done that either. LOL. 

• Love 3

Late for this episode, but it was worth it.  Probably one of my favorites of the season.  So many laugh out loud moments, but the moment where they just paused on Holt's drunken blank look after Boyle asked him about his coin actually brought tears.  And considering this was an episode where de dawned on a Kangol, attempted dirty banter to be one with the boys, and was generally drunk throughout it all, that's saying something.  It's been said before, but Andre Braugher is perfection in this role.

Also loved seeing Hungry Terry again, because that's always a treat.  And him just yelling "I'm drunk as hell!" was a good runner-up for the funniest moment.

Overall, I really did love Jake's bachelor party.  I like that it was Boyle basically going "Full Boyle", and Jake did apologize at the end, he made it clear that the issue was that Boyle made it more about him then Jake, and I think that is accurate.  Obviously, I know Boyle meant well and he is a true friend of Jakes, but, well, Boyle does loose focus whenever he gets too excited.  But I'm glad it ended well for everyone.  Well, accept now Bruce Willis is going to think Jake is a jerk thanks to a grumpy Reginald VelJohnson!  That's cold as ice, Reginald VanJohnson!

Amy's bachelorette party was great too.  I love that Amy kept failing at the "I Never Have" game, because she is Amy, and she would never not use a turn signal or not read the Terms & Conditions.  That's why she's the best.  Fun seeing Kylie too, and I love how supportive Rosa continues to be.  Even Gina was slightly bearable due to her committing towards the whole "won't say anything about her" gift, although I have to just wave my hand that Amy would even invite her in the first place.  I guess she's really just a machoest.  Whatever, still love her.  Melissa Fumero continues to shine.

For some reason, Scully and Hitchcock being obsessed with Empire slays me.

Of course, Boyle's passcode is Dianne Wiest.  That cold opening will always be one of my favorites.  Now they just need to find a way to get her on this show!

And sure enough, Jake finds out about Amy's fling with wedding singer guy, but isn't upset about it.  Because this show knows how to do a romantic relationship and not make it about unnecessary drama and angst.  It's just so refreshing.

• Love 8
On 4/30/2018 at 1:24 PM, iMonrey said:

Except that the "Kevin made me horny this morning" was the racy story. That was it. Classic Holt. He decided to go all in on this bachelor party. Hence the hat. 

My favorite thing was "I thought it was candy. I ate it."

• Love 7

Terry does yell, "JOE!" I re-watched just to see.

I hope this show does not get cancelled. It's really a lot of fun and would play much better in syndication than something like LAST MAN ON EARTH.

Come on, Fox! 

• Love 6