Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: No Country for Old Women

I thought this was the weakest episode of the revival thus far, primarily because the show  already covered this ground during its original run, more than once. Jackie and Roseanne fighting over Bev isn't new material. Nor is it particularly funny, frankly.

And now, here's why it matters that they won't tell us what happened to the Lunch Box. If it's still canon, and it existed, that means it's still canon that Bev loaned Roseanne and Jackie the money for it. Which makes them more obligated to care for her then if that never happened. It wasn't really that important until now. 

I can easily assume that if the Lunch Box went out of business, then Jackie could no longer afford her mortgage payments and had to move into an apartment. But when it comes to a discussion of what their responsibility is towards Bev, you can't really have the discussion without bringing up the money she gave them in addition to her investment in the restaurant. Either it never existed, or Jackie and Roseanne are just being selfish assholes.

And the less said about Darlene treating Mark like a special snowflake, the better. I get the impression the writers want Darlene to represent that generation of parents that give out trophies just for participating but it's damaging to Darlene's integrity and inconsistent with her original characterization.

• Love 15

I'm finding Roseanne not wanting to take care of Bev to be pretty funny. Considering both of her daughters are broke losers, chances are she and Dan will end up in the county nursing home she dreads so much. 

I can see Bev running out of money, though. IIRC, the bulk of her retirement came from the sale of Roseanne and Jackie's childhood home. Unless she was a savvy investor, it's plausible the proceeds from the house weren't enough to sustain her for 20+ years. 

Another question, what exactly does Dan do for a job? Is he still drywalling or does he just take on odd jobs as a handyman? I'm curious as to how they make ends meet when neither of them appears to have steady work and the house still isn't paid off.

• Love 2

Yeah, I was on Dan's side. I actually think he was being very reasonable. With the first couple of episodes, I could see why Darlene felt the need to protect Mark and stand up to her dad. But here? Dan was 100% correct. If this was just a personal project, then sure, maybe they could have discussed it. This was for a client, and Dan was very calm and logical in explaining to Mark why the birdhouse needed to be done in a specific way. It's a job, Darlene. You can't say "no, the client wants something out there and creative" and think that the client will agree. Mark did a good job at both birdhouses, but Dan was right in telling him to redo it. 

At least Mark didn't throw a hissy fit over it like Harris probably would have done. I know Mark ended up decorating the inside, but the resolution could have been worse. Plus, Mark did a good job at building the second birdhouse once he was told how to do it. 

I did like the Roseanne/Jackie stuff, with an appearance from Becky. It was really solid, and it gave Laurie Metcalf a little more to do. I chuckled at Becky not even lasting a full day.

Christopher Lloyd! It's funny because he looks older than Estelle Parsons, but she's 11 years older than him. 

• Love 15
17 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I loved Dan and little Mark together, and I think Dan taught Mark a valuable lesson that when you're working for someone, you have to do the work to their specifications. Darlene shouldn't have challenged Dan, but instead told Mark that he could be creative on his own time/dime.

I think she essentially came to that conclusion when she told Mark that you gotta balance between working within the rules and being a little rebel in your way.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

And Becky saying Bev is currently having sex in her apartment with a really old guy, Jackie objecting that it's 4:00 in the afternoon, and Becky saying, "Yeah, they went to dinner, and then they came back and went at it," was hilarious!

That was pretty hilarious.

• Love 5

So, I don't know if this was intentional, but did y'all see how gentrified the area around Jackie's apartment seemed to be?

• Love 1

I enjoyed the Rosey/Jackie/Bev storyline. It felt like old times with Roseanne & Jackie arguing over who gets stuck with Bev and Bev being overly critical of them about sausages & how Jackie decorates. Plus, it was nice seeing Crystal & Nancy make a brief return. (Crystal needs to go back to the blonde by the way, that washed out weird brunette color is a big NO)

Oh Crystal. . . I was looking at her, trying to figure out who that frumpy-haired lady was. I had to run the DVR back and listen to her voice. There was just enough Nancy for me, and now she can go back to Tindering or wherever she's finding her lady friends. 

Jackie felt more like Old School Jackie to me during this episode - not Wacky Jackie, and not tragic Poor Old Jackie. As for Darlene, she comes across as a perfect example of a Millennial parent that is overindulgent with her kids.  I',m sure she wants to be all supportive and encouraging to her kids but Gran Dan is telling the truth - Mark had a job to do for a client, not a creative expression of his artistic side. 

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Jackie felt more like Old School Jackie to me during this episode - not Wacky Jackie, and not tragic Poor Old Jackie. As for Darlene, she comes across as a perfect example of a Millennial parent that is overindulgent with her kids.  I',m sure she wants to be all supportive and encouraging to her kids but Gran Dan is telling the truth - Mark had a job to do for a client, not a creative expression of his artistic side. 

This. I think that's a big reason I enjoyed this episode as much as I did (which seems to be a UO here--sorry, guys!).

• Love 15
(edited)
17 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

As for Darlene, she comes across as a perfect example of a Millennial parent that is overindulgent with her kids

I hate to be that Guy, but Darlene is a Gen Xer, not a Millennial. By some definitions, DJ would count as one (I think he was born in either 1981 or 1982) and Jerry would be the bonafide Millennial. Darlene's kids would be what is currently referred to as Gen Z.

Jackie's neighborhood actually did look pretty nice. I guess some areas in Lanford went up?

As a contrast, Becky's apartment was kind of dumpy, which makes sense.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can easily assume that if the Lunch Box went out of business, then Jackie could no longer afford her mortgage payments and had to move into an apartment. But when it comes to a discussion of what their responsibility is towards Bev, you can't really have the discussion without bringing up the money she gave them in addition to her investment in the restaurant. Either it never existed, or Jackie and Roseanne are just being selfish assholes.

In Glengarry, Glen Rosey Jackie tells dan that she’s getting the money for the house from Bev I assumemed it was paid for in full I mean she had no job really at the time or was she a trucker yet (they never did explain how she would just quit jobs)so I don’t see her making mortgage payments. Are they gonna share a bedroom in her tiny one bedroom apartment now? I mean what happens when she wants to have someone “over”? we already got a sneak peek into that with her livin with Becky but who wants to live with their mother and know she’s in the next room being kraftmattic adjustable bev lol

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

I hate to be that Guy, but Darlene is a Gen Xer, not a Millennial. By some definitions, DJ would count as one (I think he was born in either 1981 or 1982) and Jerry would be the bonafide Millennial. Darlene's kids would be what is currently referred to as Gen Z.

I was born in 1989, so I am a Millennial, but for the longest time, I thought that referred to kids born from 2000/2001 onward, with our generation still being called Gen Y. I don't know when that name got phased out.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought this was the weakest episode of the revival thus far, primarily because the show  already covered this ground during its original run, more than once. Jackie and Roseanne fighting over Bev isn't new material. Nor is it particularly funny, frankly.

And now, here's why it matters that they won't tell us what happened to the Lunch Box. If it's still canon, and it existed, that means it's still canon that Bev loaned Roseanne and Jackie the money for it. Which makes them more obligated to care for her then if that never happened. It wasn't really that important until now. 

And the less said about Darlene treating Mark like a special snowflake, the better. I get the impression the writers want Darlene to represent that generation of parents that give out trophies just for participating but it's damaging to Darlene's integrity and inconsistent with her original characterization.

3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm finding Roseanne not wanting to take care of Bev to be pretty funny. Considering both of her daughters are broke losers, chances are she and Dan will end up in the county nursing home she dreads so much. 

I can see Bev running out of money, though. IIRC, the bulk of her retirement came from the sale of Roseanne and Jackie's childhood home. Unless she was a savvy investor, it's plausible the proceeds from the house weren't enough to sustain her for 20+ years. 

Another question, what exactly does Dan do for a job? Is he still drywalling or does he just take on odd jobs as a handyman? I'm curious as to how they make ends meet when neither of them appears to have steady work and the house still isn't paid off.

1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Oh Crystal. . . I was looking at her, trying to figure out who that frumpy-haired lady was. I had to run the DVR back and listen to her voice. There was just enough Nancy for me, and now she can go back to Tindering or wherever she's finding her lady friends. 

The AV Club review shares a lot of your concerns. https://tv.avclub.com/tonights-roseanne-just-reminds-us-of-better-things-that-1825702631

From the article:

Mark’s limited role is part of a larger problem with the Roseanne revival: surprisingly shallow characterization. Characters new and old are underserved by the writing this season. Harris has taken her mom’s place as the sarcastic, sullen teen, but she doesn’t really have Darlene’s bark or bite. Episode five gave Darlene more to do than just roll her eyes at her senior-citizen parents who think smartphones are dumb, but in “No Country For Old Women,” she’s back to arguing with her father about giving her son the space to be himself. And god, the scene in which Darlene sounds off about how people “these days” can have creative jobs makes her seem unaware of her own past as an artist.

and

Established characters are forgetting things about themselves, or, as we see with Jackie, are bereft of common sense. Though she gets a sweet moment with Bev toward the end of the episode, as they realize they actually want to be in each other’s lives, Jackie’s most persistent mode is bug-eyed confusion. And, as she points out, she’s now 60 years old—I’m starting to think she needs Bev at least as much as Bev needs her.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

In Glengarry, Glen Rosey Jackie tells dan that she’s getting the money for the house from Bev I assumemed it was paid for in full I mean she had no job really at the time or was she a trucker yet (they never did explain how she would just quit jobs)so I don’t see her making mortgage payments.

Bev just helped with the down payment, IIRC. 

• Love 2

Darlene's kids are boring.  Dan was completely right about the bird house.  Does Darlene really think the neighbor would buy that bird house?  The kid is talented but she was wrong.  Would have liked more on Crystal and  Nancy.  Almost didn't recognize Crystal and they never called her by name.   Jackie said she was 60 years old, guess that is about right.  Sorry we only see Becky for 5 minutes complaining and drinking in every episode.

• Love 5

I love Bev. And hey it's Krystal!!!! awesome to see her. she was always a fun character. Sandra B's character I could do without, when she talks her mouth opens too widely for me, it is kinda disturbing. Just an opinion.

• Love 4

Jackie's neighborhood actually did look pretty nice. I guess some areas in Lanford went up?

As a contrast, Becky's apartment was kind of dumpy, which makes sense.

Method Writer, you are correct. I just couldn't remember exactly where the cut-off was. I'm on the cusp of being a Baby Boomer so that's what I can remember lol. 

I'm guessing Jackie got a little settlement from the police department when she hurt her back. She did try a bunch of different jobs (perfume lady at the mall where she dyed her hair that godawful blond and danced with Dan at the bike shop - and when she was studying to be a mail order masseuse and was rubbing nekkid Roseanne on the dinner table - and of course trucking school cost money as well).  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, UYI said:

This. I think that's a big reason I enjoyed this episode as much as I did (which seems to be a UO here--sorry, guys!).

do not apologize, i agree 150%. different generations are picking up on different positive/negatives.  it's all in the perspective.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Zoe said:

Bev just helped with the down payment, IIRC. 

I think dan and dr frank n furter owned the house out right so in order to sell the house Jackie would need to buy them out righ (on that note if he skipped town where did his half of the money go) There is no bank in the world that would give a loan to someone like Jackie and  if bev would have been on the loan she would have lorded it over Jackie FOREVER (however will you make those payments I hope you find a husband to help you make those payments)( thinking about it now Roseanne missed out on a huge opportunity to mke that a running joke). ie bev paid for the house outright. Like the housewarming episode when bev says I don’t need to bring a gift I bought the house 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 2
On 5/1/2018 at 6:40 PM, readster said:

Yes, I agree. I mean I know Chuck is showing up soon, but really what has happened with everyone? We hear that Nancy is single again (shocking), but what about Crystal and where did Bev's money all go? I know the writers just keep acting that "real fans" won't care, but we do. You have 20 years to fill in and I get there are only 9 episodes, but really. We need to know things, like Jackie's old house, son. What happened to the dinner  and how DJ and the girl he refused to kiss because she was black a few years later, decided they were stupid kids and got married and joined the military. What Jerry is really doing and when did Mark actually die?

I've been wondering what happened to Dan's job with the city. I mean, maybe he retired, but given their money issues (and health issues) you would think he'd hold onto a government job as hard as he could.

• Love 6

I've been wondering what happened to Dan's job with the city. I mean, maybe he retired, but given their money issues (and health issues) you would think he'd hold onto a government job as hard as he could.

In the original series, he gave that up to take large drywalling job when they were building a prison.  It was a stupid choice then, and it clearly looks even worse now. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, txhorns79 said:

In the original series, he gave that up to take large drywalling job when they were building a prison.  It was a stupid choice then, and it clearly looks even worse now. 

It's like Jackie foolishly quitting the police force because they were going to put her on desk duty. Both she and Dan left jobs where they'd be guaranteed pensions and lifelong health insurance. Bad decisions regarding career and finances are their family curse. 

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I think dan and dr frank n furter owned the house out right so in order to sell the house Jackie would need to buy them out righ (on that note if he skipped town where did his half of the money go) There is no bank in the world that would give a loan to someone like Jackie and  if bev would have been on the loan she would have lorded it over Jackie FOREVER (however will you make those payments I hope you find a husband to help you make those payments)( thinking about it now Roseanne missed out on a huge opportunity to mke that a running joke). ie bev paid for the house outright. Like the housewarming episode when bev says I don’t need to bring a gift I bought the house 

From the episode: "I wish you hadn't done that, Dan. Who do you think I'm gonna ask to borrow the down payment from?"

• Love 5

It's like Jackie foolishly quitting the police force because they were going to put her on desk duty. Both she and Dan left jobs where they'd be guaranteed pensions and lifelong health insurance. Bad decisions regarding career and finances are their family curse. 

Yes, given Jackie's age, questionable employment options and what appears to be a lack of finances, I think her future is going to involve living in Roseanne and Dan's house.  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Colorado David said:

do not apologize, i agree 150%. different generations are picking up on different positive/negatives.  it's all in the perspective.

I actually was referring to the Jackie stuff a bit more, but I did appreciate the stuff with Mark a lot, too. It was needed. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, UYI said:

I agree with you I thought Laurie Metcalf and her delivery and timing was great in this episode.

• Love 7
(edited)

I’m passed the nostalgic watching phase and I’m happy to report I will continue watching it. It’s hilarious. I do have some minor things I would like changed but nothing major. 

For instance, I would like to see Darlene start working UBER like Roseanne since she already has one busy job of being a single mom so she will have her own schedule.

I would give Becky a little bit more life to her than a dreary lifestyle. Maybe show her attending one of those places where you can paint while sipping on wine with some friends?

Jackie was a lot more toned down in this episode and I liked it! I also enjoyed the moment she realized she does love her mom but just dislikes her lol. Christopher lloyd was a nice surprise.

Dan was ? with the birdhouse talk. Being creative is a tremendous quality but when a customer is paying for a specific project you have to accommodate the customer. I think I heard Dan say there were instructions to follow but I could be wrong otherwise maybe he could’ve been more specific with Mark. I loved Dan with his “when I played high school football” and the look Darlene always gives when he starts...?

I never liked Crystal and the bucked tooth lady (Sandy?). Crystal was too fake happy and full of endless sunshine with passive aggressive hostility...lol, I don’t think I explained that correctly. Sandy was too hyper sexual all of the time and I hated her wardrobe — It was borrowed from Peggy bundy.

There are still some unanswered questions but I’m sure they will address it as the episodes go on, or during the next season since I’m sure they’ve heard fans complain about unanswered topics.

I’m still loving the show. Love it! But I wonder where Becky’s dog is? Im thinking this episode was taped before the dog adoption episode and hope the dog will pop up eventually lol. A mishap in the editing room I hope and if so, I can forgive them lol. 

Happy fan!! ??

Edited by Calm81
iPhone autoINcorrector strikes again ?
  • Love 6

This was my least favorite episode thus far.  Jackie is still screaming and acting wacky, though admittedly not as much as previously.  Does she have to remind us in each episode that she's a life coach?  Still not liking Harris.  Darlene needs to get a job.  Mark is starting to get on my nerves.  

I would totally buy Mark's original birdhouse.  I thought it was cool.  Not sure what the birds would think of it though.

13 hours ago, Miss Ruth said:

Jackie needs a new hairdo or , at least, some bangs.

Yep.  Her forehead is huuuuge.  She also needs to stop screaming her lines.  It really annoys me.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Calm81 said:

I never liked Crystal and the bucked tooth lady (Sandy?).

Nancy. Sandra Bernhard was the name of the actress. 

• Love 1
Just now, UYI said:

Nancy. Sandra Bernhard was the name of the actress. 

That’s right! Thanks! I kept remembering her real name and not the name on the show lol.

22 hours ago, Rap541 said:

TI don't think Dan set specific birdhouse parameters but.... I don't know, there's just a point where this all feels so forced. I mean, Mark lives with Dan and has to have SOME idea of what concerns Dan. Kids in general aren't dumb, and Mark is depicted as precocious and smart. 

And Dan did mention it was for a job and that there was a plan. "This is what the customer wants" isn't really that difficult of a concept and Mark seems bright enough and old to know better.

This is another reason I found this plot so obnoxious.  Dan shouldn't have had to tell Mark explicitly that he needed to follow the plans to the letter.  The fact that Dan provided a plan should have been enough.  The kid is old enough to understand the concept of "instructions."

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Calm81 said:

I think I heard Dan say there were instructions to follow but I could be wrong otherwise maybe he could’ve been more specific with Mark.

There was a blueprint.  That's what started the conversation between Dan and Mark - Mark picked up the blueprints and asked about it, and Dan explained the guy whose house he was working on was having him make a birdhouse, too.  At the end of that talk, Dan said he'd cut the pieces and then Mark could assemble it.

• Love 8

I can't make heads or tails of this season. There are parts that I just love, but the lack of continuity is killing me. Roseanne used to be SO GOOD at continuity. I'm not even talking about the usual "what happened to Mark, why does Jackie have an apartment, what's cannon and what's not" type continuity. I can fanwank that all away pretty easily. I'm talking from one episode Jackie being fit to adopt Armani because she has a house (presumably) to now having a 2 bedroom apartment. I can guess WHY she has the 2 bedroom apartment, and the fact that Jackie has the 2 bedroom apartment vs. her house from the older seasons doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that literally 2 episodes later she went from being fit to adopt, to having a 2 bedroom apartment with no Armani. I want so badly to blame this on this season being thrown together in a hurry with no idea of whether it would be picked up for additional seasons. I can only hope that the next season irons out a whole lot nicer than this one has. I like it enough to be willing to give it that chance. I just don't know how many others will see it that way. I would be curious to know what a first time watcher thinks of everything. Most of us here are life long fans of Roseanne (the show.) 

That being said, as a life long Roseanne fan, and even though the nostalgia has worn off, I'm still committed to seeing this thing thru this run as well. Roseanne of old had episodes that fell flat (I cannot stand the Dream episode), and while this one didn't fall completely flat for me, it wasn't my favorite of the revival. What bothers me is that I can't pinpoint why. 

Things I liked:

Dan being right in stating that just because you are creative doesn't mean it applies to all the work you do. He was 100% correct here, and I like that Darlene was put in her place by him about it. I imagine having to squelch Mark's creative side goes against everything Darlene feels, as she's always been creative herself. Good lesson for her to learn too. Maybe she got too creative in her old job.

Christopher Lloyd is the best.  "I would've mistaken them for your sisters" "Uncalled for Lou." Also, "Beverly, let's just get in the car and drive. All we need is a car." I'm sure someone has a DeLorean stored for you somewhere Doc. More Christopher Lloyd please. He's much better than Jake! 

Jackie toning it down more to normal Jackie level. There was a little Wacky Jackie there, but it was much more subdued and I loved it all the more! 

Showing Roseanne on an Uber run. I thought it was funny and I hope we have more. There is a lot of room here for potential funny moments.

It was a nice change to see the girls sitting around playing poker instead of the men. The "I wanna do the dishes....no I wanna do the dishes!" cracked my ass up. It is blatantly clear that Sandra Bernhard needs to step AWAY from the cosmetic surgery. She looks awful. For as bad as Crystal looks, she actually makes sense. With the way her character was going towards the end of the original run, frumpy Crystal doesn't surprise me. Especially if Ed isn't around anymore.

Becky chugging a beer after having to witness grandma doing it with some old guy. Hey, at least he took her out to dinner first!

I'm still holding out a lot of hope that the next season picks up more steam, but as it stands now, Tuesday is still Roseanne day for me, I haven't missed an episode, and I've mostly enjoyed what I've watched. 

• Love 15

Showing Roseanne on an Uber run. I thought it was funny and I hope we have more. There is a lot of room here for potential funny moments.

THIS. There is a treasure trove there for humor. Roseanne's interactions with random people was always one of the highlights of the original run. They could even have guest stars, although I'm not a fan of stunt casting.

• Love 9
(edited)
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Darlene is acting in character in this regard.  In the 8th season, she turned down a copywriting job due to her principles and wanting to finish school...and Roseanne/Becky both said that people go to school to get a job like that.  And I recall darlene even asking Roseanne if she was proud of her standing by her principle or disappointed in her for standing by her principles..and Roseanne said she didnt know because no one in their family ever turned down a job offer before.

I have a feeling Darlene lost her job because she didnt fall in line and was honest.  And I'm glad she admitted she was wrong and told Mark that sometimes you have to find a balance between following the rules and thinking outside the box.

I actually liked Jackie's original apartment in the original show..it was quirky and quirky..just like Jackie.  I want that big of fan of the house myself..and I liked Joe Bev redid her new apartment :)  since Jackie is 60..she scaled back on her living arrangements.  And I've found most people that are life coaches are those that need them the most lol. I also liked normal Jackie more then wacky Jackie, too :)

I think Crystal is in another episode, but this was Nancy's only episode I think.  She had a few funny lines about compatiability yet always arguing about everything lol.  So Nancy to listen to some metric instead of her instincts:)

Roseanne as Uber driver..priceless :)

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 2

And that's a problem too, because I can't quite figure out why the Conners need to stay in Lanford. I realize many people cannot afford to just pick up and move somewhere else, but there's nothing really holding Roseanne and Dan to Lanford. Their children are grown and on their own (with the exception of Darlene, who moved from Chicago to Lanford . . . WTH? If she can't find a job in Chicago, how does she expect to find a job in Lanford?) and Dan can do dry walling anywhere. Plus, if Lanford is so economically depressed, would they really even have Uber service there? Who could afford it?

The show is really hitting me over the head with politics beyond the point of Trump vs. Clinton - it's straining itself to identify with blue collar America but when you pick it apart it makes Dan and Roseanne look like they're responsible for their own economic downfall rather than the economy itself.

Also . . . since when is Bev broke? I thought they kicked her out of the senior's complex because she gave a couple of men STDs. That was the reason she gave for not being allowed back. Now all of a sudden she's broke too? It's like every character has to be some representation of economic collapse and despair. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ari333 said:

I dont like Darlene's kids. There. I said it.

With all the retconning they're doing I'd be perfectly fine if both kids got Chuck Cunningham'd next season. If Andy can disappear, so can Mark and Harris. I actually don't mind Mark's character quite as much, but the way Darlene allows her kids to continually disrespect Dan and Roseanne makes me want to pack their suitcases and toss all their ungrateful asses out of 714 Delaware Street. 

• Love 10

I actually liked Jackie's original apartment in the original show..it was quirky and quirky..just like Jackie.  I want that big of fan of the house myself.

I couldn't stand Jackie's house. It was so un-landscaped as to look abandoned. The interior was an unrelated mish mash of colors and styles and those built in shelves were at least half the height they should have been for putting up anything larger than some lame nick knacks, let alone any books. Her apartment was cute and had some architectural details like the bay window. Her house just looked sad to me. Of course Fred didn't add to ambiance.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ari333 said:

I dont like Darlene's kids. There. I said it.

I don't like the reboot.....there, I said it.  Its starting to fizzle out.  I feel like Roseanne Barr is taking us for another lottery ride, meaning she's just placating us for the money.  YMMV

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Plus, if Lanford is so economically depressed, would they really even have Uber service there? Who could afford it?

For people who don't need to drive very often, Uber might be a more affordable option than keeping a car. 

• Love 10
(edited)
13 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

For people who don't need to drive very often, Uber might be a more affordable option than keeping a car. 

Yep. My son doesn't drive so he uses car services all the time.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Jackie could have work on getting better health wise to go back to back on patrol instead of whining about doing desk duty until she was able to physically well enough to go back out of the street. The sheriff where I live had what they call a widow maker heart attack a week after Thanksgiving last year. He had an operation and was put on half days while during cardio rehab and following the exercise and diet the doctors put him on. He was able to pass the physical test required for all law enforcement officers last month, and he is back on full duty and running for sheriff again. I know Jackie's story is make believe story, but I would have rather seen her work on getting healthy again when it came to her back injury and staying on the force.

In the case of Dan, the only reason why he got the prison job was because he had a minority worker in his crew. Chuck got them the job. Mark also left his job with the city to work with Dan. I would love to know what happened after the prison job ended.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Also . . . since when is Bev broke? I thought they kicked her out of the senior's complex because she gave a couple of men STDs. That was the reason she gave for not being allowed back. Now all of a sudden she's broke too? It's like every character has to be some representation of economic collapse and despair. 

She got money after the divorce from the sale of their old house more than 20 years ago, and she never worked a day in her life before the Lunchbox.  It's not hard to believe she's outlived her retirement.

• Love 6

I don't like Darlene's kids either and I particularly don't like Bev.  For anyone who was introduced to Estelle Parsons in the movie Bonnie and Clyde, this will come as no surprise.  She was just an excruciatingly HORRIBLE character in that movie with THAT VOICE, and she was always whining and screaming and getting in the way and being a total pill.  Seems to me she's playing the same role on Roseanne.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Owner. They were partners.

Thanks. Still they only got the job because there was a minority partner. What would have happened if Dan quit his job with the city, and he did not get the prison guard because he had no minority partner. Mark also quit before they knew if they had the job or not. Once again, not too bright of a move. Just like Roseanne thinking she would have gotten a contract with the prison for food services. I do not think that would have happened either. The Lunch Box did serve the guys working in the city vehicle maintenance shop, but I bet they did not have any real contract with the city to fed Dan and his employees.

Edited by bigskygirl

You're right. It was a short sighted move and it could have been disastrous. City jobs are perfect for people like the Conners because of the pay, benefits and the fact that you don't have to have an understanding of business. With Roseanne's surly attitude she should have been working at the DMV.

• Love 10