Type keyword(s) to search

Deadly Class - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Syfy and Syfy Wire to Take Over New York Comic Con 2018

Saturday, October 6, 1-2:30 PM - DEADLY CLASS

Be the first to see the premiere episode of the highly anticipated new SYFY series, DEADLY CLASS, based on the hit graphic novel by Rick Remender and Wes Craig. Executive produced by the Russo Brothers ('Avengers: Infinity War'), DEADLY CLASS follows the story of Marcus, a teen living on the streets who is recruited into Kings Dominion, an elite private academy where the world's top crime families send their next generations to learn the deadly arts. After the screening, join the cast and creators for an exclusive Q&A. Panelists and moderator to be announced.

"Deadly Class" Cast Drops Premiere Episode Today, Weeks Before Series' January 16 Linear Premiere

As of today, December 20 through January 16, the premiere episode will be available commercial-free via SYFY On Demand, online at SYFY.com, and the SYFY and USA apps. Additionally, the premiere will be available via YouTube, Facebook and Twitter through January 1. Close captioning will be available in English on all platforms and in Spanish on YouTube.

Official YouTube link for full episode preview (embedded below, may be removed from YouTube after January 16th):

For a pilot, that was one of the better ones I've seen in a while.  The episode flowed fairly well without becoming a boring paint-by-numbers guided tour of exposition, unlike the other unusual private school new series this year. (I'm looking at you, Legacies.)  And, there was some real tension about what would happen to the lead in regard to how/where he would fit into his new situation.

And, I may have let out an audible groan during the "Yesterday" shot, but that was one of the few in media res openings that actually worked. Since, it wasn't an opening action sequence, I wasn't impatiently waiting for the episode to get back to that specific point in time.  Plus, the opening classroom scene worked very well establishing the assassin school and the mood of the series.

I'm still in wait-and-see mode as to how the main characters break out of their types. And, the same for the apparent love triangle being girly-girl María and emotionless Yakuza biker girl Saya.

Random:

• Hello, Miss Deputy Lupoca!
  • Hi Ryan Robbins!  Bye Ryan Robbins!
  • Henry Rollins does intense so well.
  • Love 2

Hmm, this wasn't what I was expecting at all, even from knowing the premise. It wasn't terrible but meh and I wasn't a big fan of the way they structured the storytelling. And just because the premise is quite dark doesn't mean you have to keep the lights off all the time, that visual always bugs me. I did like Master Lin and the cast weren't bad. I will watch a couple more episodes. 

On 12/25/2018 at 11:46 PM, SimoneS said:

This was not as good as I hoped, but I love Benedict Wong so I will stick it out for awhile.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:47 AM, Featherhat said:

Hmm, this wasn't what I was expecting at all, even from knowing the premise. It wasn't terrible but meh and I wasn't a big fan of the way they structured the storytelling. And just because the premise is quite dark doesn't mean you have to keep the lights off all the time, that visual always bugs me. I did like Master Lin and the cast weren't bad. I will watch a couple more episodes. 

It was ok, and I liked Marcus' introduction and backstory (I'm still curious if he really did burn down the orphanage, but now he's a real killer), but it seems like there are WAAAAAY too many students at this school for killers, let alone for them to have their own cliques just like high school.  How big is the dorm to house everyone, or does it just house everyone that doesn't have a home ?  And why is Marcus living in the broom closet ?  Do they not have any rooms at all for new students ?

I would think that they would just all kill each other off, as demonstrated by Cisco, and there would only be a dozen or so students.

Maria is a class-A manipulator, and is not to be trusted.  Is Saya a real student or a plant by Lin ?

Because it takes place in the 80s, the sound track is pretty good.

• Love 1

This has some kinks to work out (the sound editing was weird, and the characters are pretty one note as of now), but I really liked this, and I am excited to see where this goes! While the characters are somewhat one note now, the actors are all good, and I like the stylized, hyper realism they seem to be going for. Its very comic book, which is quite appropriate for a show based on a comic series. 

The main guy seems interesting, and his backstory is sufficiently messed up. For a person who kind of got into murder school by accident, he sure is taking to murder pretty well. I also liked his friend he killed that guy with (its hard to beat holding a gun to someones head to get them to admit that Dark Phoenix Saga is the best comic series, and THEN announcing that they're a pacifist!), and its fun to see Lana Condor in such a different role than To All the Boys I`ve Loved Before. Maria has promise as well, her Day of the Dead outfit was fabulous, and she seems like a serious level manipulator. 

Benedict Wong can teach kids to murder all day long, he is just such a compelling performer. 

Was that an instrumental Ordinary World at the end? Nice way to end the episode. Interested to see where it goes from here!

• Love 1

I think I could like this show but I'm going to use the standard old person rant now. I couldn't hear half of what they were saying because of the background music. I mean I loved the music and hearing The Killing Moon was great but if I can't understand what the characters are saying then I'm not getting the story and I won't have a reason to watch. This is the time when I wish I could read an old school recap.

• Love 4

Uh, I tried, but I think I'm out.  It's very stylish and the music is good, but the lead character just doesn't sell the premise to me.  Benedict Wong is great, though... and the rest of the kids are fine.  I might check back when I can watch more episodes at once.  

This was all right but for some reason, I thought magic was involved. Thanks for the link to that article, @paulvdb, that cleared up where all these kids come from--crime families. Plus I did a little research regarding the comic book (Wikipedia).

I'll watch more but that's a lot of teens.

This was mire fun then I thought it would be.  It took me awhile to actually watch it but it is the kind of show I enjoy.  The characters are mostly entertaining and I really like the idea of a school for assassins.  The main character is kind of...just there right now but not in a bad or boring way he has room to grow into something more.

Honestly I like this a lot more then I like The Passage so far. 

• Love 1

I liked it overall.  I definitely has some kinks to work out but the cast is pretty good so that goes a long way with me.  I do hope they flesh out the characters more as its okay for them to be more one note (ie stereotypical) in a pilot but they need to do something more for future episodes.  As is they kind of did that with Willie being a pacifist so I have hope that they'll continue making the characters unique. 

• Love 1

The one thing I don't understand is that the headmaster seems motivated by the desire to make the world a better place, even if it requires a little murder along the way. So why does he teach kids like the Dixie Mafia or other gang affiliates whose message isn't so pure or motivational? I suppose you could just say he needs to keep the school funded somehow in order to find the pearl amongst the swine, but those are a lot of swine he's teaching along the way.

• Love 2

I am really liking this show, and its use of these sort of standard 80s teen movie cliches (dorky rich kids house gets trashed at a party) in this really dark context. I think there are a lot of really interesting ways they could go here. I also love the musical choices throughout, they arent standard 80s fair, but they work for the story and the tone they are setting. 

Love that at any high school party, some weird old guy will show up. Like, who is this guy? Does he think this is just a normal party, or does he know about the whole murder school thing? 

Benedict Wong might say that he is running his school to create a better world through killing people, but I dont know if thats really all thats going on. Maybe he, or some other organization that he runs, is really gathering their own crime army, or is infiltrating various crime gangs and families, governments, movements, etc. for their own financial gain?

The second episode is even better then the first.  I like how the show is starting to give context to some of the characters like Willow and Chico.  Willie is a poser but like Marcus he really had nowhere else to go.  Chico is just plain old psychotic with his own plans for his future that includes Maria whether she likes it or not.

Not sure what Master Lin’s deal actually is.  It may be a case of looking for a specific group of assassins to change the balance of power and actually make the world better and not just hired killers.    

I'm afraid this show is too young for me. I don't recognize any of the music, I can't hear or understand much of what they say, all the boys look alike to me, I don't know anyone's name yet and it's very dark. Heh, I sound like my mom when I was trying to get her to watch The Vampire Diaries.

I really like this show! I was very excited to hear the music (Sisters of Mercy!!).... but like AngelKitty, I had a hard time hearing much of the dialogue - especially Marcus' inner dialogues.

Can someone tell me what's up with Brandy's nosebleeds? Especially in the 1st episode, when they are in class and she turns around to look at Marcus and is playing with the blood?

And I LOVE seeing Henry Rollins in this. <3

Edited by materialgirl101
  • Love 2

Good show so far. I think I've only read 2-3 of the trade paperbacks, so I give that I wasn't invested enough to keep getting that from the library. I'm guessing SyFy will be the home for adult-leaning comics, between this and Happy!

Question: why cheerleaders? I mean, do they have sports teams? Are there other prep schools full of murderous misfits for them to play against?

The old guy at the party . . . was that Brian Poeshn?

• Love 1
On 1/27/2019 at 6:41 PM, Lantern7 said:

The old guy at the party . . . was that Brian Poeshn?

It was which is pretty cool.  I'm still really liking this series.  I was really surprised that Billy ended up being into girls as it seemed like he was gay in the pilot.  Maybe he's bi or pan sexual though.  I was somewhat implied that the Poison Professor might be gay given his talk about his friends dying of AIDS.  

I definitely think he knew that the Poison Master would catch on to what he was doing, and was trying to give him a head start. 

And we get the school dance...of evil! I am really enjoying this show, its pretty ridiculous and campy, but not so campy that its impossible to enjoy the characters and the plots. The Poison Master saying how the school used to be different further makes me suspect that this school has another agenda beyond disrupting the status quo and bringing down the corrupt wealthy caste. 

Glad that Willie stood up for Marcus. And Saya and Maria have a really nice friendship. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

The Poison Master saying how the school used to be different further makes me suspect that this school has another agenda beyond disrupting the status quo and bringing down the corrupt wealthy caste. 

I think the poison master was saying the school was originally created for "disrupting the status quo and bringing down the corrupt wealthy caste.", but instead the school maintains the status quo, because the only students that graduate are the ones who's families are already in power, so the school actually is doing the opposite of what it was originally created for. The poison master wants the "rats" to be successful because they are the ones that would actually challenge those already in power, instead of the "legacies" that would maintain the status quo. I think the poison master reached Master Lin and Master Lin will now allow the "rats" the opportunity to do what the school was originally created to do.

• Love 4

Sad to see the Poison Professor go but I'm glad the show is at least addressing the issue I had with the pilot, i.e. the hypocritical nature of the school.  I assume it got this way because schools need to pay their bills too but its nice that the show is willing to not just gloss it over.

S1.E1

I can't lie. I'm so shallow that as soon as I heard Depeche Mode at the beginning of the pilot, I was like I'M IN! Following that up with the Cure, New Order, and Echo and the Bunnymen definitely helped. Bonus points for Too Short!

Bonus: I remember Liam James when he played little Shawn on Psych and I really liked Lana Condor in To All the Boys I've Loved Before.

As with most pilots, there was a lot to take in and a lot of exposition, but they did a lot of world building pretty efficiently.

It was interesting enough to make me want to catch up on the other two episodes.

So everyone had to kill someone in San Francisco for their assignment and then dispose of the bodies? It looked like there were a lot of students in that class so wouldn't it be noticeable if 30+ people disappeared in one week? I know I shouldn't get distracted by stuff like that, but it's not like Lin told them to go kill homeless people. He told them to kill people who deserved to die so I'm assuming some of those people have friends/families/employers who will notice if they disappear.

I get that Maria is being abused by Chico and she is desperate to get away from him, but trying to goad Marcus into killing him was kind of shitty, even at assassin school.

Hee, I kind of enjoy that Willie is a pacifist.

I'm also enjoying the moral flexibility here. Killing Rory didn't seem like the worst thing in the world to do since he was a cold blooded killer preying on the homeless.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

S1.E1

Master Lin: Character is revealed through choice. Consider for a moment - who would be the recipient of your rage? A thief, a child molester, a world leader? This one decision betrays all secrets and unveils true motive. Ask yourself. On that dark ledge, poised to strike with clean opportunity, who would you kill?

Marcus: Happiness is just the absence of pain.

Marcus: Reagan cut funds to the local nuthouses, and released hundreds of schizos on the street. But I'm sure that money went to a better place. A cruise missile, a tax cut for some fat prick in a penthouse. Hey, why not? If you're rich, it's because you deserve it. If you end up smoking some hippie's street roach, well, that shit's on you.

Willie: Don't look like no psychopath to me.
Saya: Can't judge a book by its cover.
Billy: But you can judge one by its smell.
Maria: He's cute. 
Billy: Yeah. Total "Hobo Fancy" cover boy material.

Master Lin: Are you satisfied with your life?
Marcus: Me? Yeah. I eat trash and I sleep in piss. Everything according to plan.
Saya: Speak to Master Lin with respect.
Marcus: Master Lin can eat my shit. Who the hell are you people?
Master Lin: What's important is that we know who you are, Marcus, and that we know what you've done. You're a killer. Few value this particular proficiency, but I do.

Saya: Master Lin has a basic code of conduct. There is one thing you cannot do. Give up our location, and we will kill you.
Billy: Like, full-on Conan the Barbarian style. Like, you will be eviscerated. Lin's family has been eviscerating people for centuries. They really love it.
Willie: Lin don't flex. Got a worldwide rep to maintain.
Saya: The rest of the rules are simple. No disobedience, no drugs, and no sex.
Maria: We find ways around the last one.

Master Lin: Our species may delude itself under a more noble veneer, but we share one primary goal with other animals - survival. However, when in service to the greater good, there can be nobility in killing. It is a stark truth: some people deserve to die. My great-grandfather came here in search of the American dream. What he discovered was a nightmare of indentured servitude and abuse. So he taught himself to kill, found a purpose in revenge. He founded this school, dedicated his life to the self-liberation of oppressed people - people like you. Primarily, I train creative problem-solvers. Over time, our curriculum and focus has broadened, but we must not forget my ancestor's primary goal: to give peasants the required skill to dethrone their corrupt masters. And if you do as I say, I'll give your rage a voice loud enough to be heard around the world.

Marcus: It doesn't matter where they're from. Kids are all the same: Assholes.

Billy: Dude, I know you got me in this leg shear, but your boner's digging into my chest cavity. I get it, soft and warm. I use lotion.

Marcus: This is insane. Did I just join a cult? Fuck, I think I just joined a cult.

Denke: Name one common industrial poison ideal for making a statement. Viktor. 
Viktor: Sodium cyanide. Victim is dead in seconds.
Petra: You want to make a statement, strychnine leaves your victim contorted and convulsing for hours.
Denke: Good, Petra. And why do we want it known that this wasn't an accident?
Petra: Poison delivers a clear message. No one is safe from you anywhere.

Viktor: Maybe you and me, we study tonight? 
Petra: Are you serious? 
Viktor: Pale face, black hair. Here, they say goth. In Soviet Union, they would call you beautiful.

Denke: Sit down, Viktor. 
Viktor: I must use lavatory. 
Denke: I said sit down! Do it! Sit! Learn from his shame, class. Viktor invited this attack with his arrogance. You, always remember this. And you, get a mop.

Billy: I think Chico's got a crush on you. Or he wants to kill you. Probably kill.

Billy: Chico's cartel, numero uno on campus. Like the star football kids at a normal school. 
Marcus: Dicks. 
Billy: Top of the legacies. Kids from government or criminal organizations. As in, not like us.
Marcus: Us?
Billy: My old man's an abusive, low-rank cop dialed into the mob. You're a bloodthirsty orphan. We're losers, dude.
Marcus: What about them? 
Billy: Preps. Rich kids, mostly CIA, FBI. 
Marcus: Fascists. 
Billy: Exactly. Dixie mob. Confederate cousin-diddlers. White nationalists. 
Marcus: Nazis?
Billy: You can't seem to keep those rascally varmints down. Oh, white power! Dude in the Iron Maiden tee, that's Leonard. Leads the Hessians. Lower on the totem pole, but he's got weed.
Marcus: And what? You got to join his D&D campaign to get any?
Billy: I'm an elfish thief named Jizzledim. Final World Order out of Watts. Party bummers. Leader is Willie. 
Marcus: What about her?
Billy: Oh, young man's got his eye on the unobtainable Saya. Part valedictorian, part prom queen, 100% bitch. And leads the Kuroki Syndicate, Yakuza kids. Gnarly. No, dude. No, no, no. You're a rat.
Marcus: Harsh. 
Billy: As in not from a legacy. You got the welcoming rat bones and seasonal cheese basket. Yeah, we're at the bottom of the food chain.

Billy: This is the graveyard, hideaway of the kooks, subculture elitists, and the disenfranchised substance of losers - those who in general don't mix well with others.

Billy: Lex is head of the civility club.
Lex: Civility is just lying to people about your true feelings, wanker.

Billy: It turns out patchouli and Birkenstocks don't protect from a mace to the noggin.
Lex: Does that scare you, asshole?
Marcus: Patchouli? Absolutely.

Billy: You can even use this place to do some good. Change the world with a bullet, as Lin loves to say.
Lex: I plan on changing a proper big bit of it. Heads of state, blam. Bankers, blam. Oil executives 
Billy: Bono, don't forget Bono.
Petra: What about it, new friend? What barbaric ambition inspires you?
Marcus: I'm going to kill the guy who ruined my life. I'm going to assassinate Ronald Reagan.
Lex: He said he's going to kill the bloody Gipper!

Willie: It was that redneck ho, Brandy, til I broke through the Mason-Dixon line. 
Marcus: Brandy's your girlfriend? 
Willie: Girlfriend? What? Hell no. She a Nazi, Marcus. That ain't girlfriend material. Hell is wrong with you?

Willie: What's this fool look like?
[Marcus shows Willie a sketch]
Willie: Good thing you ain't trying to be no artist. That's some wack-ass indie-type shit right there.
Marcus: The best comics are indie. Flaming Carrot, American Flagg. 
Willie: Uh, X-Men? The Dark Phoenix? That bitch be jacking everybody up.
Marcus: Male fantasy, mainstream melodrama bullshit.
[Willie stops the car and puts a gun to Marcus' head]
Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. The Dark Phoenix Saga owns all of that. Chris Claremont and John Byrne, motherfucker. Say it! 
Marcus: Right, right. It's better. 
Willie: Damn straight.

Willie: I ain't cut out for this shit. My moms, she the OG for real and she knows it. She sent me to King's to make me a man. And she's right. I'm just a punk.
Marcus: You're not a punk. Your mom's just an asshole.

Marcus: An ethical compass would be fine if everyone had one. But it's a cold, cruel world, and you can't survive without a family, even if they are liars and murderers. And I'd be no different than a cop, or a soldier, or a politician. Killing is just a part of the profession.

Marcus: I sat up all night expecting to feel like a terrible person. Did he deserve it? Does it matter? Morality's just comfort food. It holds no meaning outside of our minds.

Marcus: Throughout evolution, without a tribe, you were alone and dead so you sucked it up, worked with the assholes. That's all we are now, gangs of capitulating assholes. Every border, every nation, every war, every ounce of racism, every religion: tribalism.

Petra: Every year there's an album that's so overplayed, you can't get away from it. And, you know, even if you liked it, after the proliferation it becomes ear poison forever.
Billy: What's really shocking is that you like INXS at all. You usually have such great taste. Just doesn't seem like your thing.
Petra: Michael Hutchence is every girl's thing.

Librarian: If you diseased abnormalities vandalize one more book with swollen genitals, you will be banned. Dicks, dicks, dicks, dicks, dicks, dicks, dicks! That's all you savages think about. You have got dicks on the brain!

Marcus: Lex said he's gonna use his training to do good things, you know? Change the world.
Denke: Changing the world is hippie bullshit.

Marcus: Hating what's wrong is easy. I'm going to do something about it.

Lex: U2, Whitesnake, Banana-bloody-rama, and Def Leppard. Sweet Lord Jesus.

Marcus: What happened to the kids who didn't make it through? Are they-
Petra: Dead.
Billy: No, gothic oompa loompa monks revived the losers and whisked them back from whence they came. 

Petra: I'm not really into the hierarchy, don't normally shit on the physically unattractive, but that dude and his crew are highly annoying. 
Marcus: Crew? 
Billy: The goop patrol. Banker kids, mafia accountants, NASA.
Marcus: NASA?
Lex: Oh, there's a lot they're not telling you.
Whatever, I'm not gonna watch some kid get bullied.
Petra: These animals see kindness as weakness. Safer to be a dick. 
Billy: Everyone loves a dick. 
Lex: Well, some more than others.

Shabnam: Marcus, my parental units are gonna be out of town so me and the crew were thinking of firing up the Commodore 64, a little Castle Wolfenstein, a charcuterie plate. My dad prob left some amaretto too if we wanna get a little crazy.

Maria: During the pop quiz, you were awful close to Marcus. 
Saya: Lin made him my secret pledge. 
Maria: No shit? So anything that psycho does is on your ass?
Saya: Yeah. 
Maria: I kissed him. 
Saya: I did too. 
Maria: Slut. 
Saya: Oh, relax. It was the easiest way to lure him back. You?
Maria: I set him up to take out Chico. 
Saya: Maria! 
Maria: I know. After he tried, I guess I felt like rewarding him. 
Saya: Skank!  Did you touch his dick? You like him?
Maria: Oh, as if. 
Saya: I think we should stop talking about it.
Maria: No, no, no. There's a cute new boy in school we both kissed. People are not supposed to discuss him?
Saya: Basically.
Maria: Are we talking about boys by talking about not talking about boys?
Saya: Why did you hide that from me?
Maria: Is the master of mystery giving me a lecture on secrets?
Saya: I thought you trusted me.
Maria: I had diarrhea last week, and I didn't tell you about that. 
Saya: This is much bigger than diarrhea.
Maria: It was pretty bad.

Lex: Who gets to see my penis tonight?
Billy: Oh, so the sores cleared up.
Lex: No.

Marcus: Shit, is that Shabnam's old man?
Billy: No, sells herb to the Hessians. Probably a pederast.
Marcus: Oh, let's go make friends with him.
Lex: I'm not getting buggered for a joint again. 

Saya: Okay, walk in like you're everyone's best friend. Be the center of the party. Make eye contact. Pull her in. Casually sit down next to her, but don't smile. Just lean back, put a hand on your pecker, and then ask her if she's hungry for pork.
Billy: Ah, the old present the pecker. Classic.

Marcus: Oh, gravity bong, nice. You guys need help smoking that weed?
Shandy: What are you talking about, man? Gravity bong? It's a water bong.
Marcus: Well, no, a water bong is just a bong. You push that down using gravity.
Shandy: It's not gravity, dude. It's pressure. Trying to school me. Rookie.

Shabnam: My mom's carpet is completely ruined. And someone shat on the wall!
Viktor: Yes, yes, house is ruined. But question is for Brandy. How much would you get paid to fuck Shabnam?
Brandy: $20,000.

Willie: Yo. Who listens to a Walkman at a party? You look a fool. [listens for a few seconds] What's this whack shit? 
Marcus: The Smiths. 
Willie: Sorta gay, isn't it?
Shandy: Yep.
Marcus: If by gay you mean brave and honest.
Willie: Whining over a guitar ain't brave.

Lex: Would it kill you to smile, Petra? Poor, sad poet. Thigh-cutting, clove-smoking, mardy fucking Bauhaus listener. Go to the park. Feed the sodding squirrels. Life's not so bad. Brandy Lynn. You dust-farming cousin humper. It's 1987. What sort of inbred asshole is still pushing white supremacy?
Brandy: The South will rise again.
Lex: What have we here? A geriatric at a high school party. Just letting the neighbors know you moved in? Court-ordered? 
Shandy: You know what, little angry dude? I get the attitude. But let me tell you something. In 1977, I saw the band Judas Priest on their first American tour and it changed my life and I made a promise that I would rock and roll forever and I have. Ever since, I've been living after midnight.
Lex: Hey, everyone, a happy ending! The git from The Hills Have Eyes is living his best life.
Marcus: Damn, you got them all pegged, Lex. Looking down your nose, talking loud. You're no different than a jock or a prep. You're just another elitist dick with bad hair and a shitty bicycle chain necklace.

Viktor: Let's go balls out! Everyone get nude!
Willie: White people.

Shandy: Yeah, you need to put that poison down. It's making you like Erasure. You know the problem with kids today? Not enough weed. That's where Dwight Shandy comes in. You know, alcohol fuels our discontentment. You never hear about a stoned dad murdering all his kids or a bunch of baked D&D players rioting after their wizard dies.
Marcus: Yeah, you also never hear, "Stoned doctor nails brain surgery."
Shandy: Okay, I can see you don't want to have a serious conversation.

Viktor: There is old KGB wisdom. Sometimes you are dildo, and sometimes you are face.

Once again, the music was awesome! Ice-T, Run DMC, Violent Femmes, and Duran Duran plus mentions of INXS, U2, the Smiths, Jesus and Mary Chain, Erasure, and even Bananarama! And 120 Minutes!

Saya whipping out her sword and cutting Shab's mom's dildo in half while Lex was waving it around cracked me up.

Sober Viktor is a dick at school, but drunk naked Viktor at the party was great. I just watched this week's episode of Schitt's Creek which featured a high school themed party where one of the characters got hilariously drunk.

I don't understand Maria. If she wanted to be rid of Chico, why did she bother stuffing those herbs in this mouth when they were all poisoned? All she had to do was take her sweet time crawling over to him until he was already dead. He is a psychopath and what he did just confirmed her decision to try to get rid of him.

Willie's story about accidentally killing his own dad was FUCKED UP. I understand why he doesn't want to hurt anyone else, but if he's so concerned with making sure no one finds out what really happened, maybe he shouldn't be discussing it at a party attended by most of his classmates. Anyone could have overheard him telling that story to Marcus!

Aww, poor sweet Billy. While I understand what it's like to have a crush on a friend, blurting out that you love her is maybe not the way to go.

When Billy explained the cliques and hierarchy of the students, he made it sound like they're all self segregated into their own groups and there's no interaction allowed, so I was kind of confused when we saw Maria and Saya just hanging out together. I like them being friends, but I don't understand, especially since Chico walked in and seemed fine with it. Based on the way he talks about everyone being their competition/enemy, you'd think he would have thrown Saya out.

Shabman seemed like a harmless dork until he started yelling about Lex's dad, which revealed his true colors. He thinks that he's better than people like Lex because of who his father is. I have never understood that logic.

I was cracking up over the fact that even assassin high school has cheerleaders because OF COURSE.

Did they green screen that scene at the Palace of Fine Arts?

Never be the one person none of the viewers recognize in detention.

I thought that Saya would say who the person was that she killed, she seemed to know him. I wonder if it was that cousin she said she used to spar with.

I can only admire the fact that Murder Hogwarts cant just use the PA to call students to detention, oh no, they have to have robed monks dramatically drag everyone there, just to make the point that they Done Fucked Up. Thats an impressive level of Extra. 

I do remember watching Breakfast Club, and thinking "this is great and all, but it could use more sword fights", and now I get my wish! I do love that this show is basically every 80s teen movie cliche (new kid, wild house party, detention) but filtered through this darkly comedic, violent universe. There were actually a lot of references to Breakfast Club, more than just the basic "kids from different cliques are stuck in detention together" basic plot, with Saya playing with her sweatshirt, the students sneaking out of detention to get snacks, and much of Billy's speech seemed to be almost lifted from the "SMOKE UP JOHNNY" speech from Bender about his abusive father. I thought this was the best episode yet. It had lots of great visuals, a lot of good character beats (even Chico got a few humanizing moments before he went back to being an asshole) and a good mix of comedy and drama. Lots of twists in tone this episode, going from funny and even sweet teenage shenanigans (well, murder school teenage shenanigans) to much stabbing and drama.

I assume that the guy Saya killed was her cousin she talked about at the ending. The last scene with her and Marcus was quite sweet, after all of the bloodshed throughout the episode. My favorite scene though was when Petra told her super fucked up creepy backstory with her parents joining a death cult, while she and Viktor are bleeding to death together on the floor, and she is talking about looking into his eyes to see his soul go as he dies, and he cries about the awful things he has done. That was a truly intense, chilling sequence, and the last shot was very darkly beautiful. 

Edited by tennisgurl

S1.E3

Willie: You best give me my money, Arguello, or I'll make it hurt.
Marcus: Uh, I don't have a dime.
Willie: I ain't asking for a dime, but I want my $2. You got till tomorrow. Shabnam: Borrowing money from FWO? Smooth move, ex-lax. Their interest rates are exorbitant and their collection methods are rather stabby.

Marcus: Hey, try Bactine. If you get cut by something dirty, it can get infected. Uh, uh, not that the dildo was was dirty or or or your your mom, uh, I don't know 
Shabnam: You want to bow out on this one? 
Marcus: Yeah, very much.

Shabnam: Rats, your people, they're the first of their family to attend King's, so they're like serfs during feudalism.
Marcus: Killer. I've enrolled in the Dark Ages.

Shabnam: No rats at the Legacy dance.
Marcus: Oh, bummer. I just had my asshole freshly douched.

Chico: Viktor! Hey, you got a rabies shot yet? Heard you nailed a vampire rat. Eternal life, sure, man. But at what price?
Viktor: Communism does not see rich or poor. Only vagina.

Viktor: You hide your softness and act cold because you fear feelings.
Petra: It's not fear you're picking up - it's disinterest.

Brandy: I never would've put you and Vik in the same picnic basket. How did you convince that hunk to get you in?
Petra: Did you just say "hunk"?

Denke: These Legacies, they've been tutored in this their whole lives.
Marcus: Does it bother you? Training people like that?
Denke: I thought we were gonna train a generation to burn it all down.
Marcus: Yeah, well, looks like you're propping it up.
Denke: They put a carrot on a stick, tell you if you catch it, you'll have the power to achieve your goals. But bit by bit, they move it from your path to theirs.

Petra: I'm not dressing up like some candy-ass Valley girl.
Viktor: Dress like funeral, wear bats for bra and pumpkin head.

Lex: With that Russian tosser? I'd call you a sellout, but you Bela Lugosi goth turds stand for less than nothing to begin with.
Petra: Well, I'm not in your scene, so meeting your interpretation of what's okay and what isn't, I don't care.
Billy: Next stop: J. P. Morgan, brunch, raise a couple of paper white pups. "Brent, honey, I'm home!"
Petra: This is about what you said, isn't it? About your feelings or whatever? Cause, you know, I didn't-
Billy: It's cool. Now that I see where your tastes lie, it's for the best. Hope Viktor's balls taste like goulash.
Petra: All balls taste like goulash.

Petra: You're gonna give me a lecture on punk cred? 
Billy: Oh, not at all. 
Marcus: Hell, I'd give Viktor a firm hand job to get out of this jive-ass hazing.
Billy: Dude, you giving out hand jobs?
Lex: You might be quieter about it, Marcus, but you're judging her, too. I'm very intuitive.
Petra: Says the guy who thinks Jaws is a comedy.
Lex: Come on! Nantucket twats getting chomped? That shark's a bloody hero.

Marcus: You dandies need me to hold your hair?
Billy: How are you keeping that down? 
Lex: Why are you keeping it-
Marcus: Not my first rat stew.
Lex: Oh, I feel its wee bones in my belly.
Billy: The horror, the horror!

Marcus: Where's the teacher? 
Jaden: Find a thousand dicks and suck them.
Marcus: So many?

Scorpio: Today we will be studying the murderer's muse: resentments. No better fuel for the feast. List what you despise, please.
Billy: Skaters who turn into rock stars. Like Gator, he's great, but the dude thinks he's Prince.
Viktor: Capitalism.
Scorpio: Yeah, that's hard to argue. 
Lex: Thatcher.
Scorpio: Snore. What about you, boy? What do you hate?
Marcus: Bullies.
Scorpio: Go on.
Marcus: Tiny dick egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you. I fucking hate people like you.
Scorpio: Today's lesson was on resentments, and it looks like I got a new one.

Zane: Now, class, as you just witnessed, sometimes you gotta fight with bare hands like the guru of white karate, Chuck Norris, Firewalker.

Zane: When I was a bouncer at Chest of Drawers AKA Check for Sores On the Jersey Shore, every Italian from Seaside to Sicily tried to take a swing at ole Master Zane, and I knocked the Drakkar Noir right off them with nothing but a brick.

Saya: I know they all call me a bitch.
Maria: You are a bitch. Be proud of that.
Saya: People who proudly self-apply labels like asshole or bitch as if it's a sign of their own strength are just ugly people looking for an excuse to lean into their unpleasant nature.
Maria: Well, they all think I'm crazy.
Saya: They're going to think what they want. Nothing you can do about it.
Maria: I don't care what they say. I just wish it wasn't true.

Maria: Excuse me, sir, do you think this [wine] goes with salmon?
Cashier: Strawberry wine goes with drunk. How old are you, sweetheart?
Maria: 25.
Cashier: If you're 25, I'm Christie Brinkley.

Marcus: Now you can talk to me?
Willie: You still tripping on that little two-step in the hall? Nothing I can do about hazing week. 
Marcus: Mmm, can't defy tradition. 
Willie: Exactly.
Marcus: Witch hunts, slavery, Columbus Day.
Willie: What's wrong with Columbus Day?
Marcus: Look, I got a lot of reading, and I don't have a legacy to fall back on. 
Willie: Can't help what I was born into. 
Marcus: Look, man, I can't I can't be friends with someone who's ashamed of me, not after what I did for you.
Willie: Keep your mouth shut about that, man.
Marcus: Or what? You'll pacifist the shit out of me?

Petra: This is where fun goes to die.
Viktor: No one must die.

Marcus: The corporatization of America is why everything is so awful.
Billy: Come on, not all of them. McDonald's? Without Mayor McCheese and Ronald McDonald, the Hamburglar would rule us all.

Billy: If a wiener is called a penis, why isn't a butt called a poonis?
Marcus: Cause nothing about the English language makes any sense.
Lex: Nothing. You've got womb, tomb, and then bomb.
Billy: It should be a boom. It's literally a thing that goes boom.

Master Lin: Take a sabbatical. Go to an island, a mountain. Reset your perspective.
Denke: You know, I don't think a mai tai and a tan is going to do it.

Ugh, Chico continues to turn my stomach with his control freak abusive behavior. Watching Maria baby talk and beg to let her go out with Saya made me so sad for her because she has nowhere to go. She can't just leave school or go back to her village, so she's stuck with this asshole for the foreseeable future. And of course he said it was okay for her to go to the dance with Saya just so he could show up unannounced and try to fuck up the night for her and ruin her friendship with Saya. Classic abuser move!

Ha, loved the Columbia House shout out!

I had mixed feelings about Marcus and Willie. On the one hand, I totally get standing up for yourself and not wanting to be in any kind of relationship (even a platonic one) where you can't be seen talking to each other. On the other hand, Marcus doesn't exactly have a lot of friends or allies so it seems stupid for him to push away anyone who isn't actively trying to destroy him. I'm glad that Willie later stood up for Marcus, especially against Chico who is such an ass.

Viktor inviting Petra to the dance made me worry that he was going to pull a Carrie on her, but the fact that Brandy was so opposed to it made me start to think that he really liked Petra, but NOPE, my first instinct was correct.

What Shabnam said about letting people think he's weak so they never suspect him coming made me worried that he's just biding his time until he can get back at Marcus.

Based on what Denke said to both Marcus and Master Lin, I'm assuming that all the rats are killed by the legacies as part of the final exams.

On 2/7/2019 at 12:58 AM, tennisgurl said:

I do remember watching Breakfast Club, and thinking "this is great and all, but it could use more sword fights", and now I get my wish!

I know, right?  ha ha ha!   I was hoping that the Russian guy (I'm tired - can't think of his name!) had the grenade on him while he was lying there wounded - and they could just pull the pin and hurl it at the dudes... but alas....!     That would have been way too easy.  Kind of like carrying a gun, when you can throw dishes and swing swords and stuff.

• Love 1

Shandy: Yeah, I just did the "Risky Business." Full on tighty-whities. When in Rome. No, that movie sucked. I can't get behind some rich kid trying to hide the fact that he cracked his Mom's Faberge egg. First he gets a high-end call girl, crashes his Dad's Porsche, and I'm supposed to care if his brothel's a success? Yes, the scene with Rebecca De Mornay on the subway is hotter than shit, and I'd bone that. I'm not talking structure. I'm talking a general relatability. If you'd just listen! Fuck you, Mom! 

Viktor: Viktor did nothing wrong. Hey! I am pillar of community! 

Marcus: What is this? 
Petra: Prolonged confinement designed for behavioral rectification. Detention.

Chico: if I'm getting hit for fighting, shouldn't Willie's ass be in here, too?
Viktor: All Viktor did was invite rodent girl to dance.
Petra: All I did was punch a Nazi inbred debutante bitch.
Master Lin: You all committed the cardinal sin. You were caught.

Master Lin: You will spend your weekend locked in this room contemplating my disappointment.

Marcus: We live our lives behind these fictitious ideas of what we think other people will accept, barricaded behind masks, honing our act. When people laugh, we learn and repeat what amuses them. When they respect us when we're given their validation, we feel secure. But over time, the person down underneath the social training becomes unrecognizable lost. Our act becomes the truth, and the truth becomes some residual of the weak person we were before we learned how to fit in.

Marcus: Hey, Vik, you got the time? Very funny, Nancy boy.
Viktor: Is Swatch. Top American style.
Marcus: That's smart. In case you break the other two.

Chico: You're the one that I should be carving up, Arguello. Your queefy dart bullshit got us thrown in here, yeah? 
Marcus: You think the queefy dart was faster than The Flash? 
Saya: No, but he could out-queef Superman for sure.

Marcus: All I'm saying is what's been done to you determines who you'll be.
Chico: I'm who I choose to be.
Jaden: So shitty parenting made Ted Bundy start shish-kebabing coeds?
Marcus: Bundy's dad, also his grandfather What could go wrong?
Chico: Shit, nobody stuck a finger up my ass. I'm as deadly as they come.
Petra: Well, by that logic, I made Viktor three fingers more deadly.
Viktor: She is lying. My shoofla is exit only.
Saya: Whatever broken shit is inside of us is there the day we're born. People are what they are.
Jaden: Wait, what's a shoofla? 

Petra: Torture Town, USA.
Jaden: Two bags of chips for two days. That's torture.
Petra: There's enough monosodium glutamate in there to kill a rhino.
Saya: Mmm, MSG.
Marcus: The monks are gonna bring more food, right?
Petra: One box per detention.
Marcus: Lucky one of my superpowers is starving.
Viktor: What is other? Sitting on man's horkum? 

Saya: You're my pledge, and I'm obligated to keep you alive, which means anything you do comes back on me. It's like being tethered to a large, dumb thing that is sinking in quicksand. Hence our current situation.
Marcus: So if Lin catches me smoking crack or running naked through Chinatown-
Saya: We're both dead.

Viktor: So he is cop man, or he is cop robot? 
Chico: Half and half.

Viktor: Which is robot half?
Chico: No, man. He's a dude in a big old metal suit.
Petra: It's not a suit. They replaced his body with cybernetics. The robo part keeps his brain alive.
Viktor: This is very confusing film.

Jaden: I get the Pop Rocks, and I get the Mountain Dew, but what's the cheese for?
Petra: Blowing your mind.
Jaden: Oh, it's like riding a cheese dragon through a forest of delicious sweets.

Marcus: Things always work out.
Saya: Vietnam, cancer kids, Sonny and Cher, and weren't you homeless? 
Marcus: Yeah, it's just something my dad used to say. It's not a hundred percent, I guess. It's probably closer to ten.

Master Lin: Jurgen was right. I was a different man in the beginning.
Gao: Thinner.
Lin: I was going to make King's different.
Gao: We were all young. Drunk off our own convictions.
Lin: Just drunk. One day you look in the mirror and see the man you swore you'd never become.
Gao: Please don't make me do this with you every time. Our families took the vow.
Lin: "Vows were ever brokers to defiling." 
Gao: Quoting Shakespeare. When did you become the overcompensating community-college student? 

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Master Lin: Jurgen was right. I was a different man in the beginning.

Gao: Thinner.

Lin: I was going to make King's different.
Gao: We were all young. Drunk off our own convictions.
Lin: Just drunk. One day you look in the mirror and see the man you swore you'd never become.
Gao: Please don't make me do this with you every time. Our families took the vow.
Lin: "Vows were ever brokers to defiling." 
Gao: Quoting Shakespeare. When did you become the overcompensating community-college student? 

That wasn't Master Gao, that was a woman named Shu. The woman in the previous episode was Master Gao.

On 2/7/2019 at 2:10 AM, AnimeMania said:

Never be the one person none of the viewers recognize in detention.

I thought that Saya would say who the person was that she killed, she seemed to know him. I wonder if it was that cousin she said she used to spar with.

Jaden was in a few prior episodes in the corner of class, telling Marcus to eff off when he tried to be friendly to him. But he was the classic Star Trek redshirt here.

Yes, it was. She had previously told Marcus the attackers were her cousins.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness