Type keyword(s) to search

Mythbusters - General Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I hope someone can settle my confusion.  I stumbled on a Mythbusters Holiday Special tonight that was flagged as "new" from Season 20 in 2017 in my Comcast guide that had Jamie and Adam making a Rube Goldberg machine.  There also was another 2 hr. episode called "Star Wars: The Myths Awaken" also flagged as new from Season 20 with Adam and Jamie.  Were those just Comcast mistakes or were these new episodes?  I confess I don't watch the show often enough to know, and neither one was familiar to me.

I haven't watched 2.0 yet.  I wonder how the ratings are doing compared to the original version.

Old episodes that Discovery flagged as New to capitalize on the new movie release.

• Love 1

The new Star Wars movie opened this weekend. Two years ago was the Force Awakens, hence the Myth Awakens. This year the movie is The Last Jedi, but it's still Star Wars, so they just ran it again as new, I guess? The holiday special is just the holiday special I guess.

10 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

The new Star Wars movie opened this weekend. Two years ago was the Force Awakens, hence the Myth Awakens. This year the movie is The Last Jedi, but it's still Star Wars, so they just ran it again as new, I guess? The holiday special is just the holiday special I guess.

Thanks, duh, I didn't make that association but given the episode they aired I can see the connection.

On 12/30/2017 at 3:34 AM, Mysteyman said:

Am i the only one that  thinks that the  new Mythbusters are working with a much lower budget than the  Adam and Jamie did?

Original Mythbusters started off low-budget too. As the show's popularity grew so did their budget. It still feels like 2.0 still have more budget than 1.0 did at the start, but it's almost nice to see them have to improvise and be creative again.

I've warmed to the new team quite a bit more than I expected to. 

11 hours ago, ae2 said:

Original Mythbusters started off low-budget too. As the show's popularity grew so did their budget. It still feels like 2.0 still have more budget than 1.0 did at the start, but it's almost nice to see them have to improvise and be creative again.

I've warmed to the new team quite a bit more than I expected to. 

Yeah it’s the true back to the roots for the show. Now just being back the build team!

• Love 1

Right now, It looks some of the contestants from Mythbusters: The Search are are assisting them.

Not quite the new build team yet, but they were on the show two weeks ago and  are going to be on it next week as well.

No activity here in, and I can't find a thread, so I'm asking here. I've been watching a lot of Discovery Science and there are ads all over the place for Mythbusters, Jr. But what are Mythbusters with just Adam? I was always a Jamie fan and found Adam just silly a lot of the time. Without Jamie, it will just be Adam and the kids blowing stuff up all the time and I don't care to watch all explosions all the time. On the other hand, Adam does seem to have a rapport with young people, they seem to like him and him being silly and blowing stuff up. I probably won't be tuning in.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, friendperidot said:

No activity here in, and I can't find a thread, so I'm asking here. I've been watching a lot of Discovery Science and there are ads all over the place for Mythbusters, Jr. But what are Mythbusters with just Adam? I was always a Jamie fan and found Adam just silly a lot of the time. Without Jamie, it will just be Adam and the kids blowing stuff up all the time and I don't care to watch all explosions all the time. On the other hand, Adam does seem to have a rapport with young people, they seem to like him and him being silly and blowing stuff up. I probably won't be tuning in.

It’s going to be about the kids more than whoever the host is I would think.

On 12/16/2018 at 8:09 AM, Lili said:

It will sure feel weird with just Adam, and not Jamie. Apparently, they don't even like each other in real life, but they had such great chemistry (no pun intended) in the show.

Honestly I’m not a fan of Jamie and preferred the OG show when the build team got their own stuff to do and we got less Jamie.

Even if he was up for it I don't think Jamie would be a good fit for the Jr show. He's too reserved. I think he'd be a huge buzzkill at best.

On the other hand, Adam is enthusiastic and open about working with kids but also has the skills and (mostly enough) good judgement to not get everyone killed while experimenting.

• Love 1

Yeah, as far as I know, Jamie is not planning any future collaborations with Adam. It would be nice if Jamie came out with a new Science show, now that Adam is getting one in the form of Mythbusters Jr..

• Love 1

The premiere episode of Mythbusters Jr. can be watched right now on the Science Channel app. I watched it using my Roku, and I think it was a pretty cool. It's amazing that these kids learn science at such a young age. One kid even claimed to have built his own video game console. It just goes to show that you shouldn't always be underestimating a child.

And it was another duct tape episode, but that's okay. I like the duct tape myths.

• Love 1

Thanks for the heads-up, @Lili

That was a fun ep! I had quit watching the last couple of seasons of OG and didn't bother with the build team by themselves. But Adam's enthusiasm is infectious and the kids add a nice zing. They were great and it must have been so fun for them to spend the summer building cool shit (assuming it was filmed them).

Ah, Alameda Naval Air Station, my old friend.

I enjoyed that a lot; it was a fun episode. I was afraid the kids would be really "on" and overcoached but they were all really natural. Fortunately it looks like they cast for actual interest in science and not just the desire to be on tv.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lili said:

So, I wonder if Mythbusters is coming back for another season with these hosts, or if Mythbusters Jr. is a replacement for this. Has there been anything on this?

Found this just now:

So maybe?

EDIT: Also apparently they didn’t include their season in the marathon and haven’t aired all the leisodes they shot.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 2

Oh, that's right. I noticed their episodes weren't in the marathon either. I guess Mythbusters Jr. really is the future of Mythbusters. It's bit a shame they got those new Mythbusters in for basically nothing.

2 hours ago, Lili said:

Oh, that's right. I noticed their episodes weren't in the marathon either. I guess Mythbusters Jr. really is the future of Mythbusters. It's bit a shame they got those new Mythbusters in for basically nothing.

No it’s because they screwed up. Reboot should’ve been the Build Team but they let Netflix do a one and done series with them after they let Jamie and Adam potentially burn bridges with them over money.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Skyfall said:

No it’s because they screwed up. Reboot should’ve been the Build Team but they let Netflix do a one and done series with them after they let Jamie and Adam potentially burn bridges with them over money.

Actually, you're probably right about that. They should have had the Build Team do the reboot. The show they did for Netflix (The White Rabbit Project) was cancelled after just one season anyway.

I've decided to take it upon myself to start doing episode threads here. This is for the premiere episode of Mythbusters Jr., which just aired on the 2nd.

Adam Savage and a team of 6 kids put duct tape to the test and find out if the magnificent material can be used as a viable parachute and as a fix for a flat tire.

The driving on a taped tire was the highlight of the episode for me.

5 hours ago, Lili said:

I've decided to take it upon myself to start doing episode threads here. This is for the premiere episode of Mythbusters Jr., which just aired on the 2nd.

The driving on a taped tire was the highlight of the episode for me.

Honestly I wouldn’t. Discussion is already in a central thread and with Ms not yet done I’m expecting this forum to be vaulted with Mythbusters and Mythbusters Jr getting single topics.

6 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Honestly I wouldn’t. Discussion is already in a central thread and with Ms not yet done I’m expecting this forum to be vaulted with Mythbusters and Mythbusters Jr getting single topics.

Well, that's part of why I'm doing this. I want Mythbusters to stay as its own forum. Not the only reason though, I must emphasize. I generally want to help the activity. I'll do the other episodes too, if this forum is kept.

I really enjoyed it!  I don't get the Science channel, but I had seen Adam's tweets about the show and was sad that I couldn't see it.  I was very happy to come across it on Discovery this morning.

The kids seem very natural and Adam is really good with them.  I am amazed they let a 12-year-old-drive, but I figured if it hadn't gone  well, we wouldn't be seeing it.  

From their Facebook page:

Could a SINGLE SPARK and an air freshener create a car catastrophe? How much water CAN a wet dog shake off? The BOOM is BACK in this explosive episode of MythBusters Jr., airing Wednesday, Jan. 9, at 9P on Science Channel.

Who is tuning in for this tonight? I'm interested to see how that first myth will go.

Edited by Lili

Mythbusters Jr. Is so good!  Especially compared to the annoying reboot of Mythbusters.  Adam + Kids is a total winning formula. The myths are good. The educational component is good. Adam is good. The casting of the kids is good.  It's all good. 

On 7/14/2020 at 12:04 AM, EAG46 said:

This is horrible news.  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/grant-imahara-dead-mythbusters-host-was-49-1303101   Sincere condolences to his family.

This really made me so sad. But it did cause me to discover The White Rabbit Project, which for some reason I had never heard of before. I really enjoyed it and wish they had made more episodes. Grant was such a fun and engaging TV personality.