Type keyword(s) to search

Mythbusters - General Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

And there's one simple question they never asked that could have answered the "question" without any experiments. If going through corners in a four-wheel drift is faster, why haven't any of the thousands of pro and amateur racing drivers competing on road courses in the last 40-45 years been doing it?

Sure, maybe back in the glory days of fat drivers and skinny tires it might have been effective, but with the tire technology developed in the last half-century, it's NOT faster, loses grip and just scrubs off speed.

It DOES look cool though, and gets big grins from the fans. But it ain't gonna win you any races except in Formula Drift.

There are at least two other shows dedicated to blowing stuff up or doing dangerous shit for the cameras on the Discovery channels now, so Mythbusters has lost its initial uniqueness. And since they've gotten into a rut trying to recreate scene after scene of faked-up entertainment stunts there's no suspense or actual discovery involved. Their builds are mildly interesting but it's obvious going in that they're going to bust the "myth," because CG, film editing and cartoon animation are not the same thing as real life. Really.

I gave it a chance, and I hate to say this because I'll still stop what I'm doing and watch Mythbusters marathons, but I'm not looking forward to new episodes any more. When and if the show comes back I'll check it out to see if they're course-corrected. If they haven't, that's it for me.

I did think Episode 2, the Indiana Jones one, was very good.  Everything about that episode was cool.  But I haven't watched the other eps, not much interest in them based the "myths" they're covering.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is the Lockheed U-2 really the one of the toughest aircraft (in regular use) to fly and land?

Could a copter drone cut you enough to badly injure you?

They don't really seem to build anything much now. More of "let's try this" or "I want to ride in this".

Edited by AConspiracy
  • Love 1

This episode was it for me.  I've been bored and had hard time paying attention to the last several episodes, but for me, all the charm of the show has gone.  I've cancelled the series recording, and I can't even say I will miss it--other than the way the show used to be.  Not just about missing the Trio, but the interest in storytelling seems gone, and it really does seem like they are out of ideas other than "this would be cool to try."

• Love 1

This episode was it for me.  I've been bored and had hard time paying attention to the last several episodes, but for me, all the charm of the show has gone.  I've cancelled the series recording, and I can't even say I will miss it--other than the way the show used to be.  Not just about missing the Trio, but the interest in storytelling seems gone, and it really does seem like they are out of ideas other than "this would be cool to try."

It really has lost its magic...I barely pay attention to it while watching it. Maybe I need to cut ties too...

• Love 1

Well they did a good job testing that U-2... oh wait, Adam just sat in the cockpit telling us how awesome everything is. 

The next episode will have two actual experiments. They're not going to build much but at least they'll be testing myths. Unfortunately they've dragged experiments out so much to fill a whole show that I usually just fast-forward to the end.

• Love 2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-mythbusters-cia-drama-816440

Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage are expanding to scripted fare.

The Mythbusters co-hosts/exec producers have set up a drama inspired by their real-life experiences at CBS, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The untitled drama, which has received a script commitment from the network, revolves around two Hollywood special effects artists who are recruited by the CIA to complete seemingly impossible covert ops missions by creatively using the most basic tools from their craft.

I sincerely doubt that will ever get off the ground, but it could be interesting.

"Inspired by" might work, but the two of them starring in it would kill the show dead. They're not actors and a bit too old for an action show.

I didn't immediately think F/X but the classic Mission: Impossible show. There was always some precisely timed tech-y deception to go with the costumes and disguises. I'd watch the hell out of that again.

• Love 1

When they were testing the one drone and it was going all over the place, I was thinking of the one time Mystery Diners "Released the Drone" and promptly had it crash and almost give the whole surveillance away.

I too miss Tory, Kari and Grant...Jamie and Adam just seem spread too thin to give the myths the attention they got when the Trio was there to test at least one myth.

True, but a lot of myths are hard to prove / disprove by scientific methods or would be boring to do.

The past few seasons they devolved into enthusiastically recreating gun and explosion special effect scenes from movies, which I had zero interest in. Pulling jackass-level videos off YouTube and debunking those. Also not interesting to me. Oh, and lots of myths where they got to drive really, really, fast and smash cars into things, which they seemed to love but I found boring.

I've read that the show's budget forced significant changes like letting the build team go and is probably responsible for the sameness of "myths" to bust. I'm just surprised they managed to keep it going this long.

• Love 2

I used to enjoy the show but gave up on it even before the build team was let go.  For a show that always seemed to portray itself as fairly liberal and family friendly, the repeated use of guns was appalling to me.  I can't forget that they featured an episode shooting from rifles into a merry go round the week Gabrielle Giffords was shot.  I still can't believe that episode wasn't pulled.

It's too bad, because I liked Adam, Jamie and Grant.  (Tory and Kari I could take or leave).  I hope they find other and maybe even better outlets for their talents.

Edited by roseha

Adam and Jamie provide a behind-the-scenes look at the upcoming season, from brainstorming sessions for episode themes to test planning and execution. Footage from past episodes is shown, along with clips of the following myths and episodes to be featured during this season.

Well that was one long unnecessary tease.

• Love 3

He signed a non disclosure agreement so I can't say too much, but my son is in the trailer for the final season!

He was an extra in an episode and the hosts liked him so much they emailed him asking him to do a second episode. He was so excited to make it into the trailer.

I can't wait for his episodes to air so I can finally talk about them!

• Love 4

Not hard to imagine what went on.  Jamie likes Big Booms, Adam likes to make fun of Jamie and he likes big booms too.  It will be interesting to see the build team back.  Are they back to help with the myths or just to reminisce about their years on the show?  

I will miss this show.

I'm going to miss this show when it's gone. I prefer the ones where they do sciency stuff to just blowing things up but there's nothing wrong with some carnage. I was really surprised, however, that after 14 years of this show that they failed to set up pressure gauges farther out on their control test of the mail truck explosion.

One question -- do those psi numbers mean that you would not be hurt by a hovercraft going right over you?

• Love 1

I'm going to miss this show when it's gone. I prefer the ones where they do sciency stuff to just blowing things up but there's nothing wrong with some carnage. I was really surprised, however, that after 14 years of this show that they failed to set up pressure gauges farther out on their control test of the mail truck explosion.

One question -- do those psi numbers mean that you would not be hurt by a hovercraft going right over you?

Theoretically, I guess? The pressure isn't dangerous, as long as it remains evenly distributed. Something akin to a kitten walking on your chest. I'm not sure how well hovercraft handle obstacles. We only saw them driving over relatively flat surfaces.

Of course, a hovercraft weighs 600 pounds, where even a Smart Car weighs 3 times that. It's closer to a motorcycle in weight than a car. So even if it were on four wheels you would probably survive it.

This site says one has driven over a person without issue. https://neoterichovercraft.com/general_info/questions_and_answers.htm

Can a railroad tank car collapse if filled with steam and sealed, due to a partial vacuum being generated inside as the steam condenses.

Well I guess implosions are more boring that explosions, explaining why this was the first one -

I really enjoyed the tanker crush.

But what I really enjoyed is the lack of the clowns.  I'd given up on the show out of frustration with the antics of the JV squad.  I'm so glad they're gone.

They were fine when they were just the build team working with Jamie & Adam to show more behind the scene stuff, but then they developed into "personalities." I do appreciate that they were mostly science-y and didn't behave like reckless jackasses, but once they evolved into "jock," "nerd" and "girl" (sorry, I really disliked Kari), their on-camera behavior was seriously influenced by their roles. A little of that would have gone a long way. Too late now.

My son is in this episode!!!

In the zombie segment, he was in a White button up and khakis and was one of the last ones out of the gate to get hit in the face with an ax.

In the shopping segment, he's in a long sleeve black T-shirt and about halfway through the episode you can see him standing in line while Adam and Jaime talk to the camera.

He's tall with short cropped dark blonde hair and a small mustache.

I'm sure nobody cares but I'm excited about it! This has been his favorite show since it first started.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4

Yeah, my son had to drive out there in costume.

Did he come back with any good stories to tell? :)

I'm glad we got to revisit the zombie myth. Because it's so much fun, and because that was such a huge glaring error the first time around. Still wasn't perfect (the axe wouldn't exactly bounce back after being embedded in a skull), but it was a little closer.

The waiting in line is one I've wondered about, but real world results and queuing theory tend to show the single line queue being faster. 

That was fun to watch Adam going through the runway of props. That's one way to empty the warehouse.

I thought they would bring out the narrator(s) and go through the substitute cast members during the reunion, but at least the build team came back.

• Love 1

I did not expect to get this upset.   Sure I liked the show.   Sure I watched the reruns.   But hey, it was just a show about blowing stuff up right?   Nope, cried through both the finale and the reunion special.    

When Adam was smashing all the props I was "noooooooo that's history right there, don't smash it."   Just no.   

Believe it or not when Obama said good bye got me the second worst.   I don't even like Obama.   But man it just hit the right notes.   Of course, the first worst was the lady who saved her life and the life of her daughter based on what she saw in the show.

Thank god for the all the moments of Tory hurting himself.   I needed the laughs.

Science bait in indeed.

I hope they do specials from time to time.   That's how much I will miss this show.

• Love 9
(edited)

Yep, same here...kind of an emotional reunion all around. And that woman talking about saving herself and her daughter definitely got me.

This show has always been a sort of "comfort show" for me. Something I watch and it kind of puts me in a better mood.

Just glad there will be plenty of reruns.

I do wonder what they will do next. I know Jamie has said he doesn't care much for TV, so doubt we see him in anything but a guest spot here and there. But I can see Adam getting another show.

Not too many shows get you truly thinking anymore...so sad to see this one go.

Edited by Jenkins
  • Love 3