Type keyword(s) to search

Mythbusters - General Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, and moments from the first thirteen seasons of Mythbusters. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for other topics and places for show-related talk.

(I just found this topic.  I'm surprised it's been so quiet.)

Was just thinking about the "most memorable" myth busting episode.  I'm not talking about the most surprising, or funniest, or "best", but just the one that seemed to stick with you the longest...

For me, it was the one where they tested the water torture myth on Adam and Kari.  It had some typical fun-and-games aspects early on, but then it took a dark and scary turn as Kari began to really suffer emotionally.  It was such an unusual departure from their typical sight-gags/explosions type myth busting (which I love also) that it really stuck with me.  I thought it was ultimately quite touching.

I had a couple, like you they were the less BIG EXPLOSIONS episodes and actually tested the team more. One was where they did the buried alive with Jamie the one being buried. How unstable and dangerous it was and how he ended up being horribly emotionally uncomfortable. The other one was where they were testing cabin fever. I guess that one just struck me about how we don't think about that kind of isolation today yet it was a very real thing.

(Not so) funny, I can still remember Kari toward the end of her water torture. How she was trying to stay but it was just getting worse, and far more quickly than I thought it would happen.

This contains results of old episodes--I don't think they're "spoilers" but so you know:

I liked "Airplane on a treadmill" and "Monty Hall" because they took a "thought experiment" and actually DID it.  Also, because I'm one of the people who was wrong about Monty Hall (I thought it should make no difference).  Sometimes the show is at its best when it surprises. 

Skipping a car across a lake and riding a motorcycle across one were awesome, just because I want to try that, and there are good reasons not to.  Also, I really liked Jessie, though I can see where they were trying to avoid cast-creep.  (And wherever Scottie from the first season is, good luck.)

I also remember the "wrong thing had a great outcome" when they accidentally shot someone's minivan with a (I want to say bowling ball cannon?)  They owned up to it in a big way, and showed that if well-trained experts who take many precautions can still make a mistake, you should NEVER EVER try things at home.  (With the exception of the "try this at home" myths, and that Monty Hall thing.)

The cel phone vs. drinking and driving myth was great, because they actually tested it.  I'm one of the people who was more convinced of the danger from that episode than all the "test and drive and everyone in your family will die" PSAs.  They didn't over-dramatize it; they used empirical tests and showed the results. 

I loved the shark myth, where they started to test if a harpoon gun could nail someone's hand...and they made the shot on the first try--actually confirming an otherwise implausible scene.  (And busting things that seemed more plausible from that same movie.)

One unresolved question I have--when they did the Christmas tree lights/fire myth, and discovered it's really hard to set a Christmas tree on fire with lights, how do so many tree fires happen?  It might be more faulty wiring, where lots of cheap/old wiring+many millions of trees=occasional fire, but I'd have liked to see them find results better.

Do not contain in a garbage truck.   Unless you are really pissed at the garbageman for banging around the trashcans (how the hell do you they manage to bang PLASTIC cans so loudly?).    That was even better than the cement truck explosion.

• Love 1

I wonder if they blew up the garbage truck and showed it on high speed just to make up for the lack of high speed footage on the cement truck.  Whatever the reason, it was a great explosion.  Did anyone else think that Jaime is finally starting to age a bit?  The man was born in 1956, he still looks great IMO.

• Love 1
It's YOUR house under the Myths-cro-scope this time. Could a vacuum cleaner explode while sucking up black powder? Could sunscreen scorch your skin? Could a piano crash through your roof? And finally, could an exploding water heater extinguish a house fire?
The MythBusters go to vertigo-inducing heights to test out some commercial myths. Could you actually bob for an apple while jumping from a 100-foot high bungee cord? And from a viral video, could you really play a match of tennis while both players are standing on top of an airplane's wing?

I think they missed the mark on the vacuum cleaner. No one vacuums that slowly - I think of you were going at normal speed you would be much more likely to generate a static spark or have another issue.

Also, I'm surprised they didn't do something with a short in the wiring of the vacuum - I think they mentioned that as a possibility in the setup.  (If they did do something along those lines, sorry I missed it - my dog was distracting me a lot during that segment.)

OK, I totally agree with you then - segment fail.

Maybe they're deliberately doing some myths halfheartedly so they can go back and redo them later, thus ensuring future episode content? Hope they're not reduced to that, but who knows ...

In this episode, three car crimes straight from Hollywood are put to the test: the cliff top push, the two-wheel wipeout (and ... we do mean WIPEOUT, with Adam at the wheel to boot), and, finally, the Corvette barrel roll from "Wanted."

I knew the "Corvette barrel roll" was totally not going to work. Even seeing the stunt in the "Wanted" movie cool as it was, I knew it was jive.

<slow motion> I'mmmmm sorrrrryyyy</slow motion>

I'd love to see how they actually did it.  Probably a combination of means.

I was getting sick and tired of seeing the constant reruns of the various car smashes with last night's ep--how many times did we have to see all three of them?

Other than the replay overload, that was very fun to watch. I tend to really like the car episodes for some reason. Everything from putting a car through a variety of obstacles (fruit stand, fence, instant convertible), getting hit by a "moose," split in half.

But, I think my favorites are the slow car episodes, from determining what will save the most gas, to how close can you slipstream behind a semi, to don't drink and drive/be tired and drive/text and drive.

Why did they specify that the Driving on Two Wheels myth was that it would be easy for a novice driver to do? I don't think anybody believes that. And every time I've seen it done in the movies, it was done by a secret agent or some other kind of super hero.

It was hilarious to see the professional stunt driver holding onto his hat when Adam rolled the car, though.

• Love 1

Adam and Jamie tackle key congestion questions and unlock the traffic gridlock. They find out if a minor unexpected braking incident can really cause a major ‘shockwave jam’. They also put the European roundabout up against the typical American four-way stop sign to see which is really the most efficient. Meanwhile, Kari, Grant and Tory take on the controversial claim that on a journey of less than 600 kilometers it’s always faster to drive. Plus, can lane changing put your life in danger?

I liked this episode last night, but then, I tend to like their traffic myths the most, even more than explosions (well, except for water heater ones...). Having done many long drives cross-country, I know that staying in one lane is definitely the least stressful option, even if it might be a bit faster to shift lanes. The one time I did that in tight traffic (near Sandusky, OH on the Saturday after Thanksgiving), I got pulled over since I was speeding and didn't see the rookie cop in the middle until I passed him. (Luckily, he let me off with a verbal warning--helped that I was in my early 40s and had a clean record, and was obviously just tired and wanted to get home to Chicagoland before it got too late in the day.) Ever since then, I've tended to just get myself in the center lane and keep up with traffic, which is much less wearing on the nerves.

I loved the roundabout story! So nice to see such definitive results, too. They are really quite easy to drive, even if you're on the "wrong" side of the road in the UK/Ireland. I was driving in northern England and Scotland two years ago, and had very few problems with the roundabouts (had more issues with the fact that the car rental place upgraded me to a mini-SUV that I didn't order nor want, so I had to deal with a bigger car than I was used to on narrower roads than I was used to). I'll be driving in Ireland this fall, and am looking forward to it (as long as the car is the small sedan I ordered, of course).

I never thought of Kari as being particularly large breasted, but the producers definitely bank on her attractiveness.  That she's competent, knowledgeable, and skilled is a given. Her enthusiasm I think is a greater part of her attraction.

She's way better looking than the blonde car enthusiast who took over for her when she was pregnant.  Car woman didn't seem to quite fit in, or maybe that's my own personal bias.

Why, oh why were Adam and Jaime not wearing helmets when trying to drive on two wheels?  I just do not understand that.

I don't think they were in any real danger, or their insurance company would have stopped them as they have on several myths over the years.  They were driving at a pretty slow speed, and were NOT going to hit anything PLUS they were securely belted in place, so their heads were not likely to come into contact with anything.  Except the roof of the car, and they had protected themselves with a very secure roll bar/cage to keep the roof from collapsing onto them. 

Adam and Jamie buckle up and return their seats to the upright position to test what really is the best, most efficient way to board an airplane. Tory, Kari, and Grant find out if a bullet made of teeth or even bone is non-traceable.

Wow, big announcement at the end of the ep!!! Next season, it is going to be just Adam and Jamie, no more Tory, Kari, and Grant. I am shocked, to be honest. I will miss them a lot.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

I saw some early eps with just Jamie and Adam.   The show didn't seem as interesting.   You can only draw out the myth to the final explosion so far.   By having a second team to cut to, it made that easier.  Plus, hello, do you know how many little girls are into science just because of Kari?

Someone knows why.    Please share.   Thank you.

• Love 1

I'm wondering if it will be the last season?  I have no basis for that speculation other than it would be make for a nice book-end maybe.

As to the show.  As someone who used to be a frequent traveler, I was not surprised at that airplane seating results.  95%+ of flights I had did the traditional, but longest, method of boarding.  One did a method they didn't test - middle then front then back.  It helped keep all the people sitting in back from shoving their carry-ons into the bins up front.  (I still don't know why people do that.  What if you need to get something from it?  Plus it's incredibly rude to the people sitting in rows 10-20)  Which also saves time on people trying to find space for their stuff.  The one thing they missed was frequent flyer statuses.  Usually the order is people needing extra time (with young children, injured, etc), first class, Elite status, then the general seating.  And since the Elite status can be spread out anywhere on the plane it does add some randomness.  However, since they had the people using the bathroom, getting into wrong seats, etc I still think it was good.

I was shocked by the announcement at the end of last night.  It seems to be the decision of Jamie and Adam.  I think it's a mistake, as much as I like those two - and it is their show - I almost always looked forward to the Kari/Grant/Tory segments the most.  They just had a great comaraderie and interplay between them.  I'm really bummed.

I wasn't surprised at all by the airplane results.  Anyone who travels can see that the airlines board people in the dumbest way possible.  Well Southwest has their open seating system, they're one exception.  I wonder if the industry will take notice of that episode or do anything about it, but it's difficult for industries to think outside the box a lot of the time.

Edit: Looking at this again, I realized the one small detail Jaime and Adam overlooked last night.  The test group was adults with some simulated babies.  But a parent with a small child would be very uncomfortable having their kid board alone while they waited for the next cattle call, that is when using the boarding method where the window seats are filled first, then middle, etc.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

I am afraid this was an ego thing on the part of Jamie and/or Adam.   The Build Team gets a lot of attention, and Jamie and Adam might not like anyone else getting attention as a "Mythbuster" since they created the show.   I hope not because they seem like nice guys, but even nice guys get jealous.

Tory, Kari and Grant leaving?  I am guessing that this is a cost-cutting effort more than ego-driven by Jamie/Adam.

Considering the expense the show must incur when paying the 3 "mythbusters" (and I am sure that they have escalating salary demands like everyone else in television) plus the cost of building the elaborate devices, hiring their additional experts like the bomb folks, not to mention cost of materials, etc., by cutting back to one team and just one build and experiment per show, the savings should be substantial.

Then, considering that this is an aging show, perhaps the ratings are just not what they need to justify two teams and after more than ten years, there are not that many exciting myths to explore.

Too bad, though.  I'm sure I will still watch, as I do like Adam and Jamie, but I will really, really miss the fun supplied by Kari and the boys.

• Love 1

I agree that cost may have had a lot to do with it. They'll be replaced by builders who stay off-camera and work for a fraction of the price. The question is will this result in a ratings dive that will outweigh the savings?