Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: A Dog, a Squirrel, and a Fish Named Fish

• Start Topic

OMG I laughed throughout this entire episode.  And now that the weather in Minnesota is finally warm enough, I had all the windows open!  Hopefully my neighbors won't call the cops on me for being too loud.

Meemaw is willing to go along to get along...until Brenda insults her precious Sheldon.  I kind of wish the show hadn't made Brenda such a witch.  She was a nasty person in her prior appearance as well.  How do these people continue to live by each other?  I'd be miserable with that kind of relationship with my neighbors.

Iain has real comic timing.   And he was so sweet trying to find a comatose dog he could try petting in order to keep his problem from affecting his family. 

The end scene with George killing the biting fish was pure gold.  This might be my favorite episode yet.

• Love 8

They should teach Sheldon how to approach and greet a dog. Some dogs may interpret a pat on the head as an attack, and fearfully snap at the hand. Better to hold out your hand and let the dog sniff it. Of course the dog might have grabbed the oven mitt, which probably smelled like food.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Frost said:

The end scene with George killing the biting fish was pure gold.

That scene had me rolling, especially the sound effects of the fish hitting the floor (I know that's not funny in real life, but here?  Hysterical!)  Then the sound of the toilet flushing.  Ha! 

I'm picturing the dog licking Sheldon's tongue too.  Iain's acting in this role is superb.  He nails it every single time.  And MeeMaw with a black eye!  There were so many LOL moments in this one episode.  I'll be watching it again.   Oh, I can't forget Missy and her telling her Bible study class to be nice to your neighbor, and to Hell with everybody else!  I'm sure she's heard that from MeeMaw! 

• Love 12

This episode was definitely one of my favorites! Everyone’s comedy timing was on point. The dog was super cute too. :) 

The kid who plays Billy Sparks just cracks me up. I feel like in the hands of a different kid, Billy could be annoying and kind of cringe worthy, but he plays him with such a sweet exuberance that he makes me smile. 

Also, Brenda’s line “I don’t know what kind of house you keep!” when Mary demanded to know why else there would be a dead squirrel in her living room if not for the Sparks’ dog just killed me dead. Lol!  

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, SparklesBitch said:

The kid who plays Billy Sparks just cracks me up. I feel like in the hands of a different kid, Billy could be annoying and kind of cringe worthy, but he plays him with such a sweet exuberance that he makes me smile. 

I agree.  "Is anybody else getting dizzy?" he asks while turned upside down.   

• Love 8

I've loved Billy since the beginning of the season when he was trying to woo Missy with rotten eggs. I think the characterization of the Sparks family is supposed to be that the dad and son are friendly simpletons and the mom and daughter are raging b*tches. I'd say it's a trope if I hadn't known families just like them in real life.

Am I the only person who knows that fish bite? When I lived in Europe I used to go to the Mediterranean a lot, and whenever I went into the water, a bunch of little fish would always bite my feet and calves. In some countries you can even get a "fish pedicure" where you put your feet in a bowl of little fish and they bite all the dead skin off.

• Love 4

When Sheldon turned and was afraid of the dog in the garage, for a second I thought he looked just like Missy would have looked if she was afraid. I guess I'm thinking of it as a "behavioral" resemblance. 

Were they eating Hamburger Helper at the dinner table when MeeMaw had the black eye? 

Also, when the two women were having their argument at the bowling alley, when the neighbor incorrectly said that MeeMaw had "inferred" that the neighbor's child was disturbed, I thought MeeMaw was going to say that Sheldon would have known that the correct word was "implied." 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 5

Great episode - the look that George Sr. and Missy shared when Mary and Connie were discussing Mary's likability was hilarious!

I have to say I completely understand Sheldon's feelings about dogs - as a child I was quite afraid of them, and that fear lasted well into adulthood. I'm still very uneasy around ones I'm unfamiliar with.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

Billy reminds me of a slightly brighter, sweeter Ralph Wiggins.

Fish do bite. And so do little desert crickets. And they can draw blood, I discovered one summer. The fish going nose first to the bottom of the bowl was hillarious (nothing personal, Fish).

I like how easily George rolls with every twist and turn when talking with Herschel Sparks, like the "gated community" his brother moved to actually being a prison!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I saw that brother Georgie (as an adult obviously) is going to be on The Big Bang Theory next week.  Finally a cross over for Sheldon's brother.

Edited by green
  • Love 8

Dissenting opinion here -- I didn't like this episode at all. Appalled at how they left the not-dead squirrel tied in a plastic bag on the neighbour's porch, heartbroken at the poor sweet dog chained up on a short chain and ignored when he was obviously looking for some affection, annoyed that no one bothered to teach Sheldon how to correctly approach a strange dog, and saddened that the fish had to die because the Coopers are stupid. The way they indulge that kid and his ridiculous behaviour has ceased to be funny and is now just irritating.

• Love 6

I've mentioned that I would like to see this in other shows' forums, so I'm happy to see that there is finally a show where a character doesn't end up liking a dog. Thank you, Young Sheldon.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Lily H said:

Appalled at how they left the not-dead squirrel tied in a plastic bag on the neighbour's porch, 

If it's any consolation, that squirrel would've chewed it's way out very quickly.  They're like rats and mice, they'll chew their way out of anything!

• Love 8

I forgot to mention Sheldon being consoled with a "hot beverage" after his encounter with the dog.   It was nice to see that point of etiquette given a shout-out on this show.  We know that older Sheldon always offers someone in distress a hot beverage.  It's all of these little things that get a mention that I appreciate the most.  

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I forgot to mention Sheldon being consoled with a "hot beverage" after his encounter with the dog.

I loved that, in typical Sheldon fashion, he complained about it and MeeMaw told him to drink it and he did :).  MeeMaw knows how to handle her Moonpie!

• Love 17
8 hours ago, Lily H said:

Dissenting opinion here -- I didn't like this episode at all. Appalled at how they left the not-dead squirrel tied in a plastic bag on the neighbour's porch, heartbroken at the poor sweet dog chained up on a short chain and ignored when he was obviously looking for some affection, annoyed that no one bothered to teach Sheldon how to correctly approach a strange dog, and saddened that the fish had to die because the Coopers are stupid. The way they indulge that kid and his ridiculous behaviour has ceased to be funny and is now just irritating.

I didn't notice how short the chain was, but unless a dog is truly fenced in and can't get out, then it should be on a leash. 

I remember way back before the leash laws in my state when dogs used to roam around the streets free, and it was not a good situation, for the dogs or for people. I used to walk to work, and one of the neighborhood dogs would follow me down the street nipping at me. It was horrible.

Just last year, a friend of my husband's brought his beloved dog over the house one night while we were having a bonfire and was allowing her to roam around the neighborhood. The dog was a sweetheart, but I was a bit concerned that he was letting her run free like that. He said not to worry, that she always came when he called.

Not a week later, we heard that the dog had been hit by a car. The owner was devastated, of course. Dogs belong on leashes, for everyone's safety.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Lily H said:

The way they indulge that kid and his ridiculous behaviour has ceased to be funny and is now just irritating.

I'm curious about what happened in this episode that you see as indulging.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CherryAmes said:

I'm curious about what happened in this episode that you see as indulging.

Ditto - Sheldon has every right to his feelings regarding dogs. They can be loving, friendly companions, and they can also bite and cause serious injury, even death. Sheldon should be able to go to sleep at night without fear that he will wake up to an unwanted animal in his own bedroom in the morning. My own fear of dogs comes from my experiences growing up, from seeing my sister get bit by one, to having the neighbor's dog destroy our property on our own back porch, to having a dog nipping at me and barking loudly while I tried to walk to work on a public road.

I also would flip if a dog licked my tongue. It's a myth that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's - they just have mostly different sets of microbes which mostly don't pass between dogs and humans - but you can still contract illness from your pets. I'm on the side of "better safe than sorry" on this one. 

9 hours ago, Lily H said:

Dissenting opinion here -- I didn't like this episode at all. Appalled at how they left the not-dead squirrel tied in a plastic bag on the neighbour's porch

Squirrels are rodents that can attack, bite, and can carry rabies - I would've been so freaked out I would've done the same thing! What should Mary have done, tried to set the thing free? It was left in the middle of her living room! I would've been completely creeped out.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Lily H said:

It's a TV sitcom, not real life.  It wouldn't be funny if the squirrel (aka some wind-up contraption/prop) wasn't hopping around in the bag or Sheldon wasn't wearing oven mitts.  And the real dog doesn't spend his entire life tied up on a TV set.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Sheldon has every right to his feelings regarding dogs.

I really liked how Sheldon was so frightened he couldn't scream at the beginning.  I can remember once, when I was probably about Sheldon's age, thinking there was an intruder in the house, not just thinking it, being sure of it (turns out there wasn't) and I can still remember not being able to yell for help and I think that was more terrifying than thinking someone was in the house who shouldn't have been!

• Love 8

I loved how Missy looked up with shining eyes at her Mee Maw, who was sporting a black eye, and said "I want to grow up just like you!".  I don't know why but Missy's my favorite character on this show.  Whoever the casting director is , he/she hit it out of the park with all of the kids' and adults' casting.

• Love 17

From the description of this episode, I didn't go into it with any expectations.  I mean, it just sounded like your run of the mill sitcom episode.  But, man, I loved this one!  I've enjoyed this series from the beginning, but this episode is the one that really stands out for me.  Everything just seemed to work in it and, for the first time, Sheldon seemed like a little boy--not just sort of an odd kid whose adulthood we all already know.  I'll admit that I actually teared up (!!!) watching him try to pet the dog.  Oh, and Missy saying she wanted to grow up to be just like Meemaw, who had just been in a bowling alley brawl, was just everything.

On a general note, I have to reiterate how this show has exceeded my expectations.  It has more limitations, for lack of a better word, than most shows, but it is still one of the best comedies on TV right now.

• Love 14
17 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I've loved Billy since the beginning of the season when he was trying to woo Missy with rotten eggs. I think the characterization of the Sparks family is supposed to be that the dad and son are friendly simpletons and the mom and daughter are raging b*tches.

I don't think the dad is a simpleton. After all, he was smart enough to figure out his wife hated live chickens and then build a chicken coop/low cost man cave. 

15 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Billy reminds me of a slightly brighter, sweeter Ralph Wiggins.

Both of these sound about right. Billy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer but he's sweet and I have hard time imagining him actually setting out to hurt someone. Any damage he would do would most likely be an accident and not by design. 

6 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I forgot to mention Sheldon being consoled with a "hot beverage" after his encounter with the dog.   It was nice to see that point of etiquette given a shout-out on this show.  We know that older Sheldon always offers someone in distress a hot beverage.  It's all of these little things that get a mention that I appreciate the most.  

That's brilliant! I totally missed that BBT connection. 

5 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I didn't notice how short the chain was, but unless a dog is truly fenced in and can't get out, then it should be on a leash. 

I remember way back before the leash laws in my state when dogs used to roam around the streets free, and it was not a good situation, for the dogs or for people. I used to walk to work, and one of the neighborhood dogs would follow me down the street nipping at me. It was horrible.

Just last year, a friend of my husband's brought his beloved dog over the house one night while we were having a bonfire and was allowing her to roam around the neighborhood. The dog was a sweetheart, but I was a bit concerned that he was letting her run free like that. He said not to worry, that she always came when he called.

Not a week later, we heard that the dog had been hit by a car. The owner was devastated, of course. Dogs belong on leashes, for everyone's safety.

There's a big difference between three different scenarios being described. Scenario 1) A dog is left outside for long periods of time on a short chain. That is not okay. A pet dog needs freedom to move and wants to be with people. Scenario 2) This one is variations on a theme. If there is no fense than take the dog into the backyard on a leash and let the dog walk around but then bring the dog inside. If someone is taking the dog for a walk in the neighborhood, then the dog should be on a leash for the safety of other people who may not like dogs and the dogs own safety. Scenario 3) Opening the door and letting the dog roam the neighborhood unsupervised. This is a bad idea for the same reason as scenario 2. In scenario 2 and 3 there is a high likelihood that the dog will be hit by a car. 

2 hours ago, A-Lo said:

I loved how Missy looked up with shining eyes at her Mee Maw, who was sporting a black eye, and said "I want to grow up just like you!".  I don't know why but Missy's my favorite character on this show.  Whoever the casting director is , he/she hit it out of the park with all of the kids' and adults' casting.

Possibly mine too. Missy is quite a little scene stealer. I can't decide if it's the writing, the actress, or some combination of the two. I would totally watch an episode that had subplot with Missy at school. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Lily H said:

Appalled at how they left the not-dead squirrel tied in a plastic bag on the neighbour's porch, heartbroken at the poor sweet dog chained up on a short chain and ignored when he was obviously looking for some affection, annoyed that no one bothered to teach Sheldon how to correctly approach a strange dog, and saddened that the fish had to die because the Coopers are stupid.

I will never understand why cruelty to animals is joke material

Also, of course fish bite. Anyone who's ever gone fishing knows this.

Dogs belong on leashes, for everyone's safety.

Or in the house with their family. That dog was lonely and the family was leaving him on a short tether with no company, no shelter from the sun (or predators), nor water besides. That's not even legal where I live.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

I've had, or been around others who have had, pet fish all my life and I honestly had no idea that the kind of fish most of us have in a fish bowl or aquarium could bite.  Of course I don't recall ever trying to pet a goldfish :).

• Love 4

I feel like there must have been a bunch of time between filming the first set of episodes and this one because Iain looked SO much older.  I mean, the difference between him in the episode and then the next cut was the title credit with the cow was striking.

Nighbor lady might not have been so mean to Mary if Mary hadn’t berated her at her place of employment.

Although Mary’s indignation at the possibility of people not liking her was funny.

Also the poor pastor with Billy innocently telling him that his family doesn’t like him either.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I will never understand why cruelty to animals is joke material

Or in the house with their family. That dog was lonely and the family was leaving him on a short tether with no company, no shelter from the sun (or predators), nor water besides. That's not even legal where I live.

How do we know how long they left the dog out for, or whether there was any water? How do we know they didn't go in the backyard and play with him all the time? I'd have to watch the episode again to see the scene, but that's an awful lot to infer from a scene.

• Love 6

I wonder how often a minister would take it upon himself to go to a parishioner's house to lecture them about their behavior anymore?  Maybe this a small town thing?  I can't imagine it happening in suburb land where I live :).

• Love 1

That dog was lonely and the family was leaving him on a short tether with no company, no shelter from the sun (or predators), nor water besides.

I believe he was in the backyard, which was fenced, so he was protected from predators.   They will probably let him loose in the backyard once Billy's Dad fixes the "fence window!"   I did not see any cruelty to animals in this episode.  YMMV. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, CherryAmes said:

I wonder how often a minister would take it upon himself to go to a parishioner's house to lecture them about their behavior anymore?  Maybe this a small town thing?  I can't imagine it happening in suburb land where I live :).

I don't think it is too unrealistic, especially since it was something that came up between the kids at Sunday School (although it wasn't as if the kids were fighting).  It seems like a pretty tight-knit church and Mary has a more involved relationship with the pastor than just being a parishioner, as she did work for him.

• Love 4

I totally understand that not everyone loves dogs and Sheldon being afraid of them was understandable. But as Missy demonstrated that dog was sweet and harmless. It just kept going to Sheldon because his hair gel is the same as his former owner's.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I totally understand that not everyone loves dogs and Sheldon being afraid of them was understandable. But as Missy demonstrated that dog was sweet and harmless. It just kept going to Sheldon because his hair gel is the same as his former owner's.

It's nice that the dog was sweet and harmless, but Sheldon didn't know that. Animals are unpredictable.

In all honesty there is nothing that irks me more then dog owners thinking that everyone should love their dogs, especially ones who let them out to jump all over guests as soon as people walk in their house. Some people just do not like that, no matter how friendly the dogs are. I am one of those people.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

In all honesty there is nothing that irks me more then dog owners thinking that everyone should love their dogs, especially ones who let them out to jump all over guests as soon as people walk in their house. Some people just do not like that, no matter how friendly the dogs are. I am one of those people.

Amen!!  As I've said before, I don't throw my cats on my guests, so I don't appreciate it when someone invites me over and doesn't put their dogs away, and I practically get mauled walking in the door!  My SIL's dog tore a hole in my pants.  I was not pleased.  I like dogs, I just don't like them all over me. I don't like being humped or having a snout up my ass either.

What made me cringe a little bit was when Missy walked right up to the dog and was face to face with him.  A person really should approach a strange animal cautiously!  My SIL got bitten in the face by another relative's dog who was supposed to be friendly.  I would not advise a child to approach an animal in that way.  I'm with Sheldon, "GET HELP!"  The dog may be perfectly fine, but they can get spooked if a person approaches them in the wrong way.  It's all about safety for both the animal and the person.  

• Love 7

I liked that Sheldon realized his fear was causing everybody stress, and decided to educate himself and work on it. Dogs can be unpredictable, but so can people. If you know how to read their body language, it's much easier to know when to be afraid and when not to. I thought it was actually really mature of Sheldon to research phobias and and make an attempt to address the situation head on. You'd think the adults would try to help him with that, but then we wouldn't get a sitcom episode, so I handwave the adult passivity. It's just a lot less miserable to be without a phobia than to be with one.

I can't figure out how a dog would lick your tongue, though. Generally, your tongue would be inside your mouth. A dog might lick your face, but the inside of your mouth? I've never had that happen.

• Love 3

One of the reasons I was attracted to the Sheldon character is that he reminds me of myself. I know he has no formal diagnosis(that's too complicated for a sitcom), but I have anxiety and OCD and don't like dogs or any animal. I don't want harm to come to any animal, but I just don't want to be around them. It mystifies my dog lover family members. One even acted obnoxious about my aversion. I want to ask them if they want animals like cats and lizards they don't like jumping on them. 

Anyway, I also thought the show was funny. I've loved Annie Potts since she was on "Designing Women". 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Amen!!  As I've said before, I don't throw my cats on my guests, so I don't appreciate it when someone invites me over and doesn't put their dogs away, and I practically get mauled walking in the door!  My SIL's dog tore a hole in my pants.  I was not pleased.  I like dogs, I just don't like them all over me. I don't like being humped or having a snout up my ass either.

What made me cringe a little bit was when Missy walked right up to the dog and was face to face with him.  A person really should approach a strange animal cautiously!  My SIL got bitten in the face by another relative's dog who was supposed to be friendly.  I would not advise a child to approach an animal in that way.  I'm with Sheldon, "GET HELP!"  The dog may be perfectly fine, but they can get spooked if a person approaches them in the wrong way.  It's all about safety for both the animal and the person.  

3 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

It's nice that the dog was sweet and harmless, but Sheldon didn't know that. Animals are unpredictable.

Amen to all of the above!  I have seen dogs that were supposed to be sweet and friendly family pets suddenly turn vicious, and so many dog owners these days seem to forget that their precious little babies are unpredictable wild animals that can turn on a dime and inflict serious damage.

I enjoyed this episode, but man, that lady next door is awful!

• Love 4

I can't figure out how a dog would lick your tongue, though. Generally, your tongue would be inside your mouth. A dog might lick your face, but the inside of your mouth? I've never had that happen.

Easy. My dog Lizzie once licked a guy’s tonsils. Or at least it felt that way to him. Lizzie was standing on the picnic table at the dog park and Aaron just happened to yawn as Lizzie decided to lick his face. She gave him a French kiss. 

If Sheldon was talking to the dog and the dog decided to lick Sheldon’s face, Sheldon’s tongue gets licked.  

• Love 9
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

I liked that Sheldon realized his fear was causing everybody stress, and decided to educate himself and work on it. Dogs can be unpredictable, but so can people. If you know how to read their body language, it's much easier to know when to be afraid and when not to. I thought it was actually really mature of Sheldon to research phobias and and make an attempt to address the situation head on. You'd think the adults would try to help him with that, but then we wouldn't get a sitcom episode, so I handwave the adult passivity. It's just a lot less miserable to be without a phobia than to be with one.

People are still hard (for me) to read. Dogs? Easy, once you know what to look for. They don't tend to lie, trick, joke or hide their feelings as people do. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, nx74defiant said:

I love him and the "fence window".

I was thinking about that line today and it made me laugh.  I'd love to be in the writer's room when they come up with these little gems!  They must be rolling on the floor laughing with some of the stuff they create.  The entire cast is great.  The casting folks nailed it with their picks.  I'd love to see the audition tapes.  I saw an interview in which Chuck Lorre said that they had all kinds of stuff in the script for Sheldon's character.  Iain impressed them immediately.  They even threw in some William Shatner for him to do.  Iain did a little bit of that in this interview.  It was hilarious! 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, possibilities said:

I liked that Sheldon realized his fear was causing everybody stress, and decided to educate himself and work on it. Dogs can be unpredictable, but so can people. If you know how to read their body language, it's much easier to know when to be afraid and when not to. I thought it was actually really mature of Sheldon to research phobias and and make an attempt to address the situation head on.

It's a variation on the adults are useless trope. Sheldon came at the problem a different way from the adults. He seemed to have a good handle on the situation and the proper steps to take to cure himself.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

I have come to avoid shows about families because the child actors are usually so awful and annoying.

That's why I can't watch The Goldbergs.  I like the idea of the show, and I like the adults in the show but the boy who plays the younger son is just irritating as hell to me and since he's the centre  it's hard to avoid him!  If that had happened with Young Sheldon the quality of the writing and the acting of the rest of the cast wouldn't have mattered.  The show rises and falls on the boy playing Sheldon.  And he's awesome :).

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

I have come to avoid shows about families because the child actors are usually so awful and annoying. But there’s so high quality here.

5 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

That's why I can't watch The Goldbergs.  I like the idea of the show, and I like the adults in the show but the boy who plays the younger son is just irritating as hell to me and since he's the centre  it's hard to avoid him!  If that had happened with Young Sheldon the quality of the writing and the acting of the rest of the cast wouldn't have mattered.  The show rises and falls on the boy playing Sheldon.  And he's awesome :).

I usually find children irritating as well, so it's great that they really nailed it with this cast. A couple of years ago there was a show on Fox that only lasted one season called The Grinder, starring Rob Lowe and Fred Savage. Fred's character had a son and daughter, and they were both very funny and likable - it's the only other show I can think of off the top of my head that got the kids right.

• Love 1

Fred's character had a son and daughter, and they were both very funny and likable - it's the only other show I can think of off the top of my head that got the kids right.

Married with Children comes to mind for me!   Bud and Kelly.  Those two were pretty funny.  

I've re-watched this episode about 3 times, and I laugh as hard each time as I did the first time I saw it.  Fence windows! That still makes me smile.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Married with Children comes to mind for me!   Bud and Kelly.  Those two were pretty funny.  

I've re-watched this episode about 3 times, and I laugh as hard each time as I did the first time I saw it.  Fence windows! That still makes me smile.

Oh yeah, Bud and Kelly were in a class by themselves, as was the show, lol!