Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: Dead In The Water

• Start Topic

Wild Bill risks it all on a new bait and fish strategy hoping it will pay off big. Sean & Casey forge an alliance, but when one strikes crab, will he betray it? A dangerous mistake jeopardizes Jake's offload. The Cornelia Marie is whipped by weather.

I'm posting this because for the third week in a row Disco is doing an early premiere of the new episode.  And check the site out on Tuesday; the last two weeks The Bait (the "live" episode) has posted early too.  Apparently these are "Live" to tape.

Edited by kassygreene
Punctuation!
  • Love 2

Way to "captain" from the driver's seat, Josh. Nope, you're not back for the cameras at all.

I can't even with Jake. The only difference between Josh and Jake is that Josh has the person doing all the work in the boat with him. Jake has all of his crab finders on other boats. I can't believe anyone out there would pick up the phone to talk to him unless it is a producer driven story from now on. 

• Love 4

Dear Josh,

You're not a captain if you don't drive your own damn boat. You're also not a captain if you don't find your own damn crab. If Captain Casey wasn't on your boat, you'd still be tied up at the dock wondering how to start the boat. 

• Love 4

Thought it was quite telling that Sean dealt only with Casey.   It doesn't get any clearer about who's the captain of the Cornelia Marie, even in the eyes of other cast members.

Jake isn't just clueless about fishing, he's clueless about how to treat other people decently.   Especially those trying to help him.   He may fish for crab, but he's a sponge.   Sponge Jake.  Sponging off others because he lacks even the most basic fishing skills.   I hated Elliot Neese, but even in the throes of drug-induced assholery, Neese showed more respect to the other captains (he used to call Keith "Mr. Wizard") than Jake does.   

I was confused to discover that Jake was in the lead, though.   Keith was pulling 90+ pots, Jake was pulling blanks.   What the heck?

Getting back to Sean, he was just wrong.   And he knew it.   The guilt was written all over his face.  

• Love 3

I know one has to be careful on how to judge people on this show.  Some receive good edits and some get bad edits.  But...from what I have just seen so far, Jake Anderson shouldn't be a captain.  He is still far too emotional.  Every time and I mean pretty much EVERY TIME something goes wrong, he flies off the handle.  And I couldn't believe how he treated Keith.  I mean, he couldn't get a word in edgewise inbetween Jake's relentless whining.  Keith is trying to HELP you, Jake.  Don't act like a spoiled brat.

I understand why Sean was withholding his successful fishing in that area.  I can get him not wanting 10 boats showing up there.  I still think it's not cool of him not to even answer though.  You made an agreement to be partners.  If you didn't want to give up any info on the fishing, then don't become partners with another boat in the first place.  Having said that, I do wonder what would have happened if the roles were reversed.  That is, if Casey was having great luck catching the crabs and Sean was the one waiting for word on the fishing.  We have seen in the past other captains kinda fibbing in the past.  They would answer on the radio, "Uh, the fishing here isn't very good..." while the camera pans to them pulling up 80's and 90's into the pots. 

And yeah, Josh is useless.  I want to FF whenever he is on my TV screen. 

• Love 5

Well, to be fair, Sean didn't want to continue the partnership with Casey after Casey told him he'd heard from other boats that nobody was pulling numbers. That told Sean that Casey is talking to others and probably will spill the beans if Sean shares his hidey hole. So I can't blame him for not wanting to tell Casey, but as soon as Casey said he'd been talking to other boats, Sean should have said, "Dude,sorry but if you're talking to other boats I can't work with you", and just been honest about not working together.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 4

So the storyline this year is that Jake was abused by Sig.   He doesn't know how to fish, he doesn't know how to read a survey map.   He doesn't know about cheat codes.    Never mind he spent years in the past in the wheelhouse being shown these things so he could learn.   Remember when they trotted out his whole notebook stuffed of things he needed to be a captain.   I'm not buying it.

If this were JOSH, sure.   Because he never showed an interest in learning all it takes.   But JAKE who was always pestering people to learn more -- and they taught him?    Remember last year?   Sure he was hysterical -- but he found crab on his own.   The reason the Saga owners asked him to captain was because of his known abilities.

I also just can't with the Sig edit.   If this delayed revenge for his Disco lawsuit?    Hillstrands off the show too.    Sig ALWAYS was helping and teaching Jake.   The only thing that was quite clear was that he would never captain the Hansen's boat.   For reasons that were known from the beginning.

• Love 5

A bit of inside tech here had me quite angry tonight. Casey (and presumably Sean) was operating illegally on the radio. They showed the front face of the radio several times, and the frequency he was shown transmitting on is allocated to the amateur radio service (146.600), and per FCC regulations, is not legal for use in commercial operation or by non-licensed operators. Marine radios operate in the 156 MHz range and are channelized — 156.800 is Ch. 16, etc.

What I've never understood about fishing fleets who work together, why not get commercial radios on frequencies assigned to your company, then encrypt the comms so nobody can eavesdrop on your secret hidey-holes. What they were doing tonight could have netted tens of thousands of dollars in fines for illegal operation from the federal government. It's no different than going past catch limits, keeping females or smalls, or not having escape rings. Legal is legal, illegal is illegal.

6 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

A bit of inside tech here had me quite angry tonight. Casey (and presumably Sean) was operating illegally on the radio. They showed the front face of the radio several times, and the frequency he was shown transmitting on is allocated to the amateur radio service (146.600), and per FCC regulations, is not legal for use in commercial operation or by non-licensed operators. Marine radios operate in the 156 MHz range and are channelized — 156.800 is Ch. 16, etc.

99.9% chance this was all disco fakety fakety and the radios were not even on so the setting didn't matter.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

99.9% chance this was all disco fakery fakety and the radios were not even on so the setting didn't matter.

This one was, and the TX indicator was showing full power (as a ham, I have similar equipment and know what it looks like when operating). A signal was absolutely being transmitted, but whether or not they were using it on the fishing grounds is indeed debatable. I'm still trying to figure out how they're using cell phones and cordless phones for ship-to-ship. That's either post-production fakery or some tech I don't fully grasp. I do see they use HF on the 2 MHz and 4 MHz marine service bands and marine VHF (and I'm sure satellite as well).

Also, if you're really watching carefully when they show closeups of the radio gear, you can see their callsigns, which are fully searchable on the FCC's licensing website. For example, WDE5199 is the Northwestern.

• Love 1