Type keyword(s) to search

Faux Life: Things That Happen On TV But Not In Reality

• Start Topic

This came up in a Mums group i belong to... how about Aussie programs Christmas episodes understanding that for example my daughter wore shorts for her photo with Santa last year because it was high summer and scorching heat outside. Instead like the shops, they copy the American Christmas experiences and tropes.

• Love 3

I can only think of 2 examples from tv (both from Designing Women) and a couple from movies, but I'm sure this happens all the time:

You work/live in an place that's different than the norm.  A house of prostitution, a nudist colony, a gay/drag bar, etc and you hire someone to come do some work there (decorating, plumbing, electric--whatever), but you don't bother telling the person your hiring what they are walking into so that they are prepared for it.  Instead of telling them, they have to stand there, surprised and, only after acting like an idiot, do they realize where they are.  In reality, they may have been perfectly fine with the setting and if they'd known going in, they wouldn't have been shocked into some kind of embarassing behavior or comment. 

• Love 5
On 9/6/2019 at 3:48 PM, Shannon L. said:

You work/live in an place that's different than the norm.  A house of prostitution, a nudist colony, a gay/drag bar, etc and you hire someone to come do some work there (decorating, plumbing, electric--whatever), but you don't bother telling the person your hiring what they are walking into so that they are prepared for it.

I remember when the Golden Girls went to that nudest resort, they didn't know it was one. When they found out they decided to go for it, why not, live a little, so they stripped down to go to dinner. No one thought to tell them that the nudests dressed for dinner. Hilarity ensued. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

The very, very pregnant woman who has somehow gone her whole pregnancy without realizing she will have to give birth to the baby herself and starts yelling about how she's just gonna hold it in.

• Love 7

I hate the graduation shocker.  Students who find out a week before graduation that they are short one class and can simply do one project/activity and some how make up the whole class.  (They never took an art class, so they can simply star in the school musical.  They didn’t do an internship, so they can follow the mayor for a day and call it even.  Flunk English when you were a freshman?  No problem - just write a ten page paper by Monday.)

On the other hand, you have the student who finds out the week before graduation that they are going to be valedictorian and must give a speech.  When I was in school, a thousand years ago, last semester grades didn’t count towards graduation honors/rankings.  Seniors didn’t even have to take finals, as long as you were passing the class.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
49 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

out the week before graduation that they are going to be valedictorian and must give a speech.  When I was in school, a thousand years ago, last semester grades didn’t count towards graduation honors/rankings.  Seniors didn’t even have to take finals, as long as you were passing the class.

That definitely varies by school, teachers had to have senior grades in three days before graduation so they could be taken into account for awards at my school.

My college BFF found out the day before graduation that part of her study abroad classes from her junior year were wrongly credited so she didn’t have enough credits to graduate! They let her walk and then she took an approved summer course for three credits so she could officially graduate, it was not a fun few hours. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I hate the graduation shocker.  Students who find out a week before graduation that they are short one class and can simply do one project/activity and some how make up the whole class.

Unfortunately, that absolutely happens in real life.  Not always the ability to finish it up super quick and be done by the graduation date.  But I worked in Higher ed for years in a previous life and the number of students who by the time the last semester comes around and it well past the time to get another class who realize they don't have the requirements to graduate ceased to amaze me years ago.  I have seen (miraculously) cases where student athletes somehow get that last minute Phys Ed independent study that somehow they miraculously pass by the time graduation comes.  But outside of athletes, the 5th hour miracle doesn't often happen. The student ends up taking a summer class.

If the school is shown to be negligent in advising (which was rare in my experience) then the school takes whatever measures it can to make it up to the student.  In most cases they can substitute anything for anything or waive a requirement, that is up to the school.  But, when it comes to total credits or final gpa, that is where it is out of the school's control.  Some requirements are mandated by the State or by the school's accrediting body.  In New York State, for instance, there is a hard and fast credit and gpa rule.  If student's don't meet that, then hello summer school, even if it is the school's fault.  I had a case one time like @biakbiak's friend where the school did make a transcript error, but since it was credit hours, they couldn't work around it.  So they paid for the student to take the additional class at a community college and allowed her to transfer it in.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

had a case one time like @biakbiak's friend where the school did make a transcript error, but since it was credit hours, they couldn't work around it.  So they paid for the student to take the additional class at a community college and allowed her to transfer it in.

Edited just now by DearEvette

Yeah that’s exactly what they did in her case and were more lenient about what schools she could take it at than they typically allow. It still manifests as anxiety dreams for her years later! 

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

My college BFF found out the day before graduation that part of her study abroad classes from her junior year were wrongly credited so she didn’t have enough credits to graduate! They let her walk and then she took an approved summer course for three credits so she could officially graduate, it was not a fun few hours. 

When I was in undergrad, you had to meet with an advisor to confirm you met all the department and university graduation requirements (it wasn't a school where you had to meet with an advisor every term or anything), and then I think you had to submit a graduation form.  I'm surprised not all schools do something like this and/or that something like this got missed by multiple people.  I know for sure I had to submit a form for grad school.  (Because I ended up being one of those people that @DearEvette mentioned.  I didn't realize that my foreign language requirement needed to be complete before submitting the form, and I was taking the 203 class that term.  I still don't understand why, because it's not like you have to have completed all the rest of your final term's classes before you submit the form.  I ended up just testing out before the form's due date.  I would have just tested out originally, but I needed the credit hours for my financial aid.)

50 minutes ago, janie jones said:

hen I was in undergrad, you had to meet with an advisor to confirm you met all the department and university graduation requirements (it wasn't a school where you had to meet with an advisor every term or anything), and then I think you had to submit a graduation form.  I'm surprised not all schools do something like this and/or that something like this got missed by multiple people.  I k

We did that as well and in her case her advisor was actually the Dean of the College but it was an issue where the credits were entered wrong on her transcript so the person doing the review did not catch it. It was actually a random fluke that someone did catch it. It was a study abroad program not formally affiliated with the school so you submitted the credit approval after the fact and she and her advisor had no reason not to believe the credits she was awarded were wrong. 

One of the reasons that things on tv that are more experience related don’t really bother me is because just because it wasn’t my experience doesn’t mean it wasn’t someone’s experience. It’s typically only when shows are wrong on the law (man or natural) and facts that I get annoyed.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, janie jones said:

When I was in undergrad, you had to meet with an advisor to confirm you met all the department and university graduation requirements (it wasn't a school where you had to meet with an advisor every term or anything), and then I think you had to submit a graduation form.  I'm surprised not all schools do something like this and/or that something like this got missed by multiple people.  I know for sure I had to submit a form for grad school.  (Because I ended up being one of those people that @DearEvette mentioned.  I didn't realize that my foreign language requirement needed to be complete before submitting the form, and I was taking the 203 class that term.  I still don't understand why, because it's not like you have to have completed all the rest of your final term's classes before you submit the form.  I ended up just testing out before the form's due date.  I would have just tested out originally, but I needed the credit hours for my financial aid.)

We have a plan of study that I have to approve for each student and then it goes up for final approval from someone higher up. They will send it back if it's wrong. But you do it in your first semester of grad school. 

• Love 1
On 9/10/2019 at 1:07 PM, DearEvette said:

Unfortunately, that absolutely happens in real life.  Not always the ability to finish it up super quick and be done by the graduation date.  But I worked in Higher ed for years in a previous life and the number of students who by the time the last semester comes around and it well past the time to get another class who realize they don't have the requirements to graduate ceased to amaze me years ago.  I have seen (miraculously) cases where student athletes somehow get that last minute Phys Ed independent study that somehow they miraculously pass by the time graduation comes.  But outside of athletes, the 5th hour miracle doesn't often happen. The student ends up taking a summer class.

If the school is shown to be negligent in advising (which was rare in my experience) then the school takes whatever measures it can to make it up to the student.  In most cases they can substitute anything for anything or waive a requirement, that is up to the school.  But, when it comes to total credits or final gpa, that is where it is out of the school's control.  Some requirements are mandated by the State or by the school's accrediting body.  In New York State, for instance, there is a hard and fast credit and gpa rule.  If student's don't meet that, then hello summer school, even if it is the school's fault.  I had a case one time like @biakbiak's friend where the school did make a transcript error, but since it was credit hours, they couldn't work around it.  So they paid for the student to take the additional class at a community college and allowed her to transfer it in.

What I see a lot at my high school is seniors who (despite being told about the district wide attendance policy at multiple meetings with their parent/guardian, teachers, counselors, principals, and advocate and have also received multiple letters home about said policy) are shocked, absolutely SHOCKED AND OUTRAGED, that they will not being getting credit for their necessary for graduation classes because they missed 32 days their last semester. "Sorry, dude, spring semester still counts and you still have to show up. Even if you already were accepted into your dream college. You still don't graduate if you don't go to class. You missed 32 days! Ferris Bueller had to fake dying to miss his 9th day of the year. We'll see you at summer school. Hopefully, you only have to make up one class. If it's more than two, you will be coming back next year as a Super Senior."

• Love 8
On 9/4/2019 at 10:28 AM, Homily said:

To add to this, a lot of us who enjoy Christmas are not whipping up the decorations in time for American thanksgiving!  Not having your house Christmas ready in November doesn't make you a Scrooge!

My Christmas decorations don't even come out of storage until the day after Thanksgiving. I usually have everything up by the first or second week in December and take it all down January 3rd. 

On 9/9/2019 at 9:48 PM, Mittengirl said:

I hate the graduation shocker.  Students who find out a week before graduation that they are short one class and can simply do one project/activity and some how make up the whole class.  (They never took an art class, so they can simply star in the school musical.  They didn’t do an internship, so they can follow the mayor for a day and call it even.  Flunk English when you were a freshman?  No problem - just write a ten page paper by Monday.)

This has always boggled my mind. I can see where it would be possible, but my high school was on our asses to make sure we knew where we stood credits-wise. Luckily, I had transferred from a school with an obnoxiously high requirement to one that was much lower. By the beginning of my junior year, I already had everything I needed to graduate aside from one semester of English. They wouldn't let me graduate early because I was a transfer, so I got to spend the next two years taking whatever classes I wanted.

• Love 3
On 8/30/2019 at 7:50 AM, Blergh said:

It's odd that unless a character is expressly a counterculture type, destitute and/or lives in a tropic setting, rarely   are bare feet seen outside of beds or bathrooms on TV! 

I tend to see the opposite actually.  Everyone in bed keeps their fricking shoes on. What is that about? Where I grew up, 90% of the people I knew took off their shoes when they entered the front door.  Seeing people lay in bed with their shoes on makes no sense to me. I have friends who won't even lay in their beds with their outside clothes.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, piccadilly83 said:

I tend to see the opposite actually.  Everyone in bed keeps their fricking shoes on. What is that about? Where I grew up, 90% of the people I knew took off their shoes when they entered the front door.  Seeing people lay in bed with their shoes on makes no sense to me. I have friends who won't even lay in their beds with their outside clothes.

Not that I disagree but how is that 'opposite' from what I said re the habits of folks on TV when it comes to footwear?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, piccadilly83 said:

I tend to see the opposite actually.  Everyone in bed keeps their fricking shoes on. What is that about? Where I grew up, 90% of the people I knew took off their shoes when they entered the front door. 

I was on a message board years ago where this topic became almost as big a Great Divider as whether the toilet paper should go over or under on the roll!  I too grew up where it's automatic to take your shoes off as you come through the door in a private home but, contrary to what I have always believed, this is absolutely not the case for a lot of people! 

What really surprises me on TV is when I see people come downstairs, supposedly having just dressed for the day, and they're wearing shoes.  In my little corner of the world people keep their shoes near the front door and only the super special worn once in a blue moon shoes are kept in the bedroom.

• Love 5

It's odd that unless a character is expressly a counterculture type, destitute and/or lives in a tropic setting, rarely   are bare feet seen outside of beds or bathrooms on TV! 

9 hours ago, piccadilly83 said:

7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Not that I disagree but how is that 'opposite' from what I said re the habits of folks on TV when it comes to footwear?

Hi Blergh. Maybe I misunderstood your original post.  I thought you were saying that it was rare for you to see people on TV barefoot anywhere other than bedrooms or bathrooms. I found it to be opposite only because I notice people with their shoes on in their bedroom on TV all the time. 

6 hours ago, Homily said:

I was on a message board years ago where this topic became almost as big a Great Divider as whether the toilet paper should go over or under on the roll!  I too grew up where it's automatic to take your shoes off as you come through the door in a private home but, contrary to what I have always believed, this is absolutely not the case for a lot of people! 

Haha, maybe I should make myself clearer. It's not the fact that people walk around their houses with their shoes on that confuses me, it's specifically laying or sitting in one's bed that confuses me. I mean I get it if you're just sitting off the edge of your bed or something, but full on laying in bed on your stomach with your feet up and shoes on -- huh? Or sitting cross legged in bed with your shoes on -- again, huh?  My family actually used to wear our shoes on in the house until I started visiting my friends' houses where they never did that.  My mom loved the idea - her carpets would be so clean! No shade to those who don't though. My dad's ex-girlfriend doesn't and her house is immaculate.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Homily said:

What really surprises me on TV is when I see people come downstairs, supposedly having just dressed for the day, and they're wearing shoes.  In my little corner of the world people keep their shoes near the front door and only the super special worn once in a blue moon shoes are kept in the bedroom.

I keep mine in the bedroom and put them on first thing in the morning.

I broke two toes and a bone in the top of my foot once from running into something barefoot and I won't risk it again.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, piccadilly83 said:

Hi Blergh. Maybe I misunderstood your original post.  I thought you were saying that it was rare for you to see people on TV barefoot anywhere other than bedrooms or bathrooms. I found it to be opposite only because I notice people with their shoes on in their bedroom on TV all the time.  

Essentially, I said that the most frequent place bare feet on TV are seen was in the bedrooms and bathrooms but even then it's rare yet it's extremely rare to see characters barefoot elsewhere unless they're counterculture types, live in tropical locales and/or are destitute.  Does that clarify?

14 hours ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

I broke two toes and a bone in the top of my foot once from running into something barefoot and I won't risk it again.

I've had lots of incidents thanks to going barefoot over the years but I just can't wear shoes if I don't have to!  I lived in Hawaii until I was 8 so maybe that's part of my problem -  I can still remember walking to school carrying my shoes because there was no way I was wearing them any sooner than I had to.  Then my parents moved us to Montreal.  Not wearing shoes outside wasn't going to happen!

Edited by Homily
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Homily said:

I've had lots of incidents thanks to going barefoot over the years but I just can't wear shoes if I don't have to!  I lived in Hawaii until I was 8 so maybe that's part of my problem -  I can still remember walking to school carrying my shoes because there was no way I was wearing them any sooner than I had to.  Then my parents moved us to Montreal.  Not wearing shoes outside wasn't going to happen!

I'd probably still be going barefoot if I hadn't had to wear a sock or slipper while my foot was healing. I can't stand sleeping with anything on my feet, but it was necessary to keep my toes from getting tangled in the blankets. I didn't get a decent night's sleep for over a month!

2 hours ago, Homily said:

I'm sitting here with a broken toe right now (it's such a lovely shade of bluish purple) and I'm barefoot.  Just like all the other times I damaged/broke a toe over the years.  I just hate shoes. 

Re: relatives

Everyone either loves or hates their family members. There's no indifference.  Haven't seen someone in a long time?  It's either a sarcastic "Glad to see you could make an appearance" or "OMG!  I've missed you so much! You must come around more often!"  It's never "Hey, it's been a while!  How have you been?"

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Re: relatives

Everyone either loves or hates their family members. There's no indifference.  Haven't seen someone in a long time?  It's either a sarcastic "Glad to see you could make an appearance" or "OMG!  I've missed you so much! You must come around more often!"  It's never "Hey, it's been a while!  How have you been?"

This drives me nuts. Per TV shows, I must either be overly involved in my siblings’, parents’ and/or children’s lives (to the point that I practically live with them, despite their ages) or I must hate one or more of them. There’s very rarely the real-life dynamic of getting along fine with one sibling and not really caring for another sibling. Nor is there the option to recognize that your parents did a somewhat good job of raising you, but if they weren’t your parents, you would have zero interest in them and quite possibly dislike them, but not hate them. 

• Love 7

Every woman hates her mother-in-law.

I love the episode of Cagney & Lacey where Harvey's mother is visiting, and every time someone at work hears about it, they start making sympathetic or sarcastic noises about how horrible this is for Mary Beth, and she gets ticked off at the assumption because she likes her mother-in-law and is enjoying her visit.

While low-hanging fruit, in-law jokes and hijinks are often quite funny.  But it's annoying - and sexist - that we almost never so much as hear reference to a good MIL/DIL relationship.  A man may like one or both of his in-laws, a woman may like her father-in-law, but a woman getting along with her mother-in-law is virtually nonexistent on television.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

but a woman getting along with her mother-in-law is virtually nonexistent on television.

The only exception to this and it’s from an old show, but both Pamela and Sue Ellen Ewing loved and respected their mother-in-law, Ellie Ewing on Dallas. So did the rarely shown Valene Ewing, who appeared in three episodes before she and Gary got their own show, Knots Landing.

• Love 2

Not only is there no middle ground on your feelings for your family, there is also no middle ground on how often you see them.  Either they live next door and you always see them or they show up one a year, at most.  Nobody has relatives that live a few hours away that they see once every couple of months.

• Love 7
On 9/13/2019 at 3:10 AM, piccadilly83 said:

On 9/13/2019 at 4:48 AM, Blergh said:

11 hours ago, Blergh said:

11 hours ago, Blergh said:

Essentially, I said that the most frequent place bare feet on TV are seen was in the bedrooms and bathrooms but even then it's rare yet it's extremely rare to see characters barefoot elsewhere unless they're counterculture types, live in tropical locales and/or are destitute.  Does that clarify?

Yes, it does.  Sorry, I didn't see the bolded part in your original post.

Edited by piccadilly83
  • Love 1

If a wife walks in on her husband having sex with another woman, the mistress is pretty consistently on top. If cable, the audience then gets to see her breasts, but if not, she's facing a bit sideways and we're still treated to her naked back.

I'm sure that has happened IRL too, but TV leans on it real hard.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

All foreigners, except Russians and people from Spanish speaking countries, speak English with a British accent.

And Germans.  If movies set in WWII are to be believed, all one has to do to blend in in Germany is speak English with a German accent.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Lugal said:

And Germans.  If movies set in WWII are to be believed, all one has to do to blend in in Germany is speak English with a German accent.

Hey, that's how Hogan's Heroes won the war for us.

And if you travel back in time, like far back in time, everyone speaks perfect American English.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And if you travel back in time, like far back in time, everyone speaks perfect American English.

There was a few phases in history when people spoke in pseudo-Shakespearean English, (mostly Medieval Europe, Ancient Rome, and Ancient Greece)

But it does remind me of a story a friend told who worked in a book store.  Someone came in and asked for Beowulf in the original.  They special ordered it for the guy who bought it and then came back an hour later saying that they got the wrong one because this is "in German or something."  Turns out he expected the Old English version to be more Ye Olde English with more thou's and forsooth's.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

All foreigners, except Russians and people from Spanish speaking countries, speak English with a British accent.

The French will speak with a French accent. Unless they are the captain of a Federation starship. In that case they too will speak with a British accent.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Here is one that I don't know if its true or not :

Do you really have to interview in front of some tenant board in order to buy or sometimes even obtain an apartment in NYC?  Tends to happen all the time on TV.  Seinfeld and 30 Rock come to mind first, but others I know use it as well. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

you really have to interview in front of some tenant board in order to buy or sometimes even obtain an apartment in NYC?  Tends to happen all the time on TV.  Seinfeld and 30 Rock come to mind first, but others I know use it as well. 

Yep co-op board interviews are real and can nix your sale if they don’t approve of you. I mean it’s not every building but it is definitely a real thing that happens.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yep co-op board interviews are real and can nix your sale if they don’t approve of you. I mean it’s not every building but it is definitely a real thing that happens.

What a crappy system.  Hard to believe that is still allowed in this day and age.  Never thought too deeply about it but wonder just legally how that came about and is justified. 

Actually I can imagine how it started and I am sure it is deeply rooted in racism and sexism.  I guess I find it more surprising the system continues. 

I know there are home owner boards to regulate what you can and cannot have in your yard, house, etc everywhere, but no one is telling them you can't live here because they don't like you

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

What a crappy system.  Hard to believe that is still allowed in this day and age.  Never thought too deeply about it but wonder just legally how that came about and is justified. 

Because you don’t really buy an apartment in a Co-op what you are buying is a share of the building and the right to live in that apartment and so your finances and stability have a direct relationship with your neighbors. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

In American Bible movies the Romans (oppressors)  speak with British accents and the Jews (our Bible heroes) speak with American accents.  Examples : Ben -Hur, The Robe.

I read somewhere the in the movie Amadeus all the native German speaking characters had American accents while any non-German speaking characters had foreign accents.  I guess this is because the movie is for an American audience but treats us as native Austrians so we shouldn't hear any affectations with the German speakers?  It makes sense in my head. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Glendenning said:

TV children , both male (Urkel) and female (Morgan Matthews #2), are allowed to behave in ways that would have been harshly punished. My grandmother had a hand that she knew how to use as my mother found out.

This is why I stopped watching Better Things. I could not take the children anymore.