Type keyword(s) to search

Faux Life: Things That Happen On TV But Not In Reality

• Start Topic

On 11/22/2022 at 7:26 AM, BlueSkies said:

Ditto for Step by Step.  I liked the show as a kid but if they lived in Wisconsin why no mention of snow storms or dressing in layers without showing any exposed skin? 

They lived in Wisconsin?! Really? Wow, I had no clue, and I can still sing the whole theme song through. Think about it whenever I'm at a theme park. I can't even remember it ever being winter there.... 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

They lived in Wisconsin?! Really? Wow, I had no clue, and I can still sing the whole theme song through. Think about it whenever I'm at a theme park. I can't even remember it ever being winter there.... 

The Step by Step crew would have all gotten hypothermia (if not pneumonia) if they'd gotten splashed by that water log ride in the dead of a Wisconsin winter!

I can't say I ever liked that (even from Day One) IMO, meanspirited show. However, to keep this ontopic, I hope NO parents in Real Life elope on vacation and spring their new spouses (and spouses' offspring) on their kids for the very first time despite a both sets of kids having a history of contempt for each other!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
On 11/19/2022 at 1:35 PM, Katy M said:

OMG, yes.  How did that turn into such a thing. Shawn on Boy Meets World, Joey on Dawson's Creek, Sam (?) on Clarissa Explains it All.  I feel like I'm forgetting somebody obvious.  Anyway, these people all had doors.  

My favorite was on Clarissa Explains it All when Sam actually had the chance to leave using a door when they were in the kitchen and he still went out the window.

• LOL 7
On 11/24/2022 at 8:26 AM, Blergh said:

The Step by Step crew would have all gotten hypothermia (if not pneumonia) if they'd gotten splashed by that water log ride in the dead of a Wisconsin winter!

I can't say I ever liked that (even from Day One) IMO, meanspirited show.

It was poorly conceived (the elopement as you mentioned) and poorly cast. The kids were mostly stereotypes and  spent their time insulting each other. Patrick Duffy, so good as a traditional soap hero on “Dallas,” was out of his element - not funny at all. I couldn’t stand the “My Two Dads” girl, and the oldest son was really awkward post puberty. Only Suzanne Somers - surprisingly - came off well: she was warm and could deliver a punch line.

• Applause 1
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

My favorite was on Clarissa Explains it All when Sam actually had the chance to leave using a door when they were in the kitchen and he still went out the window.

Clarissa sure had THE most laid back dad in the history of television who had ZERO problems with this teen boy putting up a ladder to the man's teen daughter's bedroom window to 'visit' on a daily basis. I guess the man must have totally forgotten how he and Mrs. Darling (the characters' names) had conceived Clarissa and her younger brother Ferguson!

Yeah, I seriously doubt there's any parent IRL out there that trusting . ..and clueless!

• LOL 6
13 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It may also happen in real life, but on tv and in movies men always buy an enormous Christmas tree that scrapes the ceiling and fills the room. 

That one cracks me up as a woman who is definitely not 6 feet tall but is the same height as many artificial trees advertised as being 6 feet.

• LOL 5
On 11/24/2022 at 1:51 AM, Grrarrggh said:

Now that theme song is playing in my head... 😄

• Wink 1
  • Love 2
On 11/22/2022 at 7:26 AM, BlueSkies said:

Fonzie might be cool but if he lived in Green Bay he’d be freezing to death more often than not if all he had on was a little leather jacket

But even when shows actually show winter people on tv aren't really affected by the cold. I was rewatching the latest season of Stranger Things with my daughter and there is an episode where Hopper is running through snow in Russia in bare feet and there doesn't seem to be any sign of pain or frostbite or anything. Meanwhile I live in Ottawa and the first year I took the bus to work and had cheap crappy winter boots, and my toes would go numb waiting for the bus in winter. But in TV people can be outside in winter for long periods with no issues. The Fargo show was also pretty bad for this.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

And there's never any wind! We have an entire formula for "wind chill" because winter + wind is a thing, but there's never any wind unless the show is about a record-setting blizzard.

Exactly.  I could forgive a light jacket in winter sometimes because people who live in cold climates do adjust to colder weather but there are going to be days when the wind is out where that's just not going to feel good.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

It was poorly conceived (the elopement as you mentioned) and poorly cast. The kids were mostly stereotypes and  spent their time insulting each other. Patrick Duffy, so good as a traditional soap hero on “Dallas,” was out of his element - not funny at all. I couldn’t stand the “My Two Dads” girl, and the oldest son was really awkward post puberty. Only Suzanne Somers - surprisingly - came off well: she was warm and could deliver a punch line.

Then again, the whole concept of the show was basically "The Brady Bunch, but more realistic and up to date."  (Close enough that Brady creator Sherwood Schwartz considered suing, but was advised against it.)  So while the mother was a blonde named Carol and the dad was an architect (as the Brady parents were), the two sets of kids were mixed genders on both sides instead of all the same as their parent (though the balance per group was still skewed towards the gender of the parent (ie, two girls on the mom's side, and two boys on the dad's)).  And the kids didn't all instantly get along like the Brady kids.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SVNBob said:

Then again, the whole concept of the show was basically "The Brady Bunch, but more realistic and up to date."  (Close enough that Brady creator Sherwood Schwartz considered suing, but was advised against it.)  So while the mother was a blonde named Carol and the dad was an architect (as the Brady parents were), the two sets of kids were mixed genders on both sides instead of all the same as their parent (though the balance per group was still skewed towards the gender of the parent (ie, two girls on the mom's side, and two boys on the dad's)).  And the kids didn't all instantly get along like the Brady kids.

I always liked that part best about Step by Step. While the Brady Bunch was more of the fairytale two families come together and instantly get along Step by Step was more realistic. I also liked that they weren't yet another sitcom family with the dad, mom and kids. Even in the 90s there wasn't a lot of different types of families. It's another reason why I liked Sister, Sister too. You had twin sisters given up for adoption as babies, adopted into loving families when they meet as teens their parents decide to move in together for their daughters and they never got married.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I always liked that part best about Step by Step. While the Brady Bunch was more of the fairytale two families come together and instantly get along Step by Step was more realistic. I also liked that they weren't yet another sitcom family with the dad, mom and kids. Even in the 90s there wasn't a lot of different types of families. It's another reason why I liked Sister, Sister too. You had twin sisters given up for adoption as babies, adopted into loving families when they meet as teens their parents decide to move in together for their daughters and they never got married.

I wrote a fan letter once to Angela Watson (Karen on that show).  I'm still waiting to hear back 😆

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

While I'm a fan of Cobra Kai and Dead To Me, most the houses the main characters live in seem very huge/luxurious to me.  As well as their cars seem on the luxury side.  

I'm not familiar with LA, but all the houses seem in these series seem huge.  Also, for example Daniel's teenager daughter drives a Mercedes convertible.  I mean what teenager could afford that? 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

While I'm a fan of Cobra Kai and Dead To Me, most the houses the main characters live in seem very huge/luxurious to me.  As well as their cars seem on the luxury side.  

I'm not familiar with LA, but all the houses seem in these series seem huge.  Also, for example Daniel's teenager daughter drives a Mercedes convertible.  I mean what teenager could afford that? 

The kids of the wealthy in LA and it suburbs are often seen in that class of car. The parents earned the money. With a high end dealership I would expect a one year family lease everytime a new model comes out until a Sam quits college or graduates grad school and leases her own.

The "bling" shows for various ethnic groups have more reality to them than a lot of stuff in the genre.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
45 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Even on modern family.  That house the Dunphys live in looks average but in California it's a couple million dollars or more.  

At least cam and Mitch it's a more reasonable smaller place. 

This always bugged me about modern family in general. And I liked the show.  It's the classic example of writers out of touch with average Americans financially.  I know Jay is rich and Claire and mitch do ok but they couldn't afford the lifestyles they portray in California and finances are almost completely ignored on the show 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I know Jay is rich and Claire and mitch do ok but they couldn't afford the lifestyles they portray in California and finances are almost completely ignored on the show 

This is what drove me crazy about Big Bang Theory.  The way they had these scientists working at a prestigious university and yet whenever finances are mentioned you are given the impression they are barely scraping by because Bernadette makes big money.  It's just ridiculous. 

They never seem to lack for money when it comes to buying comics etc and they eat out or take in for practically every meal for one thing. But ok, TV show poor.  I get it.

But what really creams my corn is that these guys all  make more money than the average viewer of this show is probably making, or certainly at least as much and yet we're being told "hey losers you're poor".  Ugh.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

While the Brady Bunch was more of the fairytale two families come together and instantly get along

Fairytale? Hardly. The kids were shown not getting along and trying to adjust to being a family in the first season. The kids weren’t perfect. They fought; they got in trouble; Mike and Carol never apologized when they had to punish them for when they broke the rules. Or their heads got too big. Looking at Marcia’s horrible behavior as the lead in Romeo & Juliet  that got her kicked off and replaced and her UGLY crying. Or Greg’s punishment for looking at the LP while driving on the freeway.

Maybe it was unrealistic the girls called Mike “Dad” and the boys calling Carol “Mom” but I was fine with it.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Maybe it was unrealistic the girls called Mike “Dad” and the boys calling Carol “Mom” but I was fine with it.

Same here.  I think the kids were young enough that this would happen but what did strike me as unrealistic was after the first year I think they rarely acknowledged that the girls had once had a father and the boys a mother.  I think it did come up on that awful backdoor pilot episode with Ken Berry (but since I hate that one I don't watch it when it comes on). 

It made sense to me that they didn't dwell on this but it was a little funny that a show that had as it's premise, I mean it's right there in the theme song!, that these were two families coming together, that they so quickly made them one family.  

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Haleth said:

It may also happen in real life, but on tv and in movies men always buy an enormous Christmas tree that scrapes the ceiling and fills the room. 

Raises hand sheepishly.  Rookie mistake first time getting a real, not pre-cut, tree many years ago.  We went to A Christmas tree farm, huge place with actual sectors of tree type.  They give you this really nice tree trolley, a saw, and a complimentary spiked hot cider and send you out to cut down your perfect tree.  It is deceptive the scale/proportions out there in the big ass field, on a slope and kinda tipsy.  Especially the width of the tree.  It was a bit taller and wider than we thought when we got it home.  The next time we used my husband and a measuring tape.  Now we have a good eye for scaling correctly.

• LOL 12
59 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

but what did strike me as unrealistic was after the first year I think they rarely acknowledged that the girls had once had a father and the boys a mother.

The only other episode, which I think was the fourth season, that we saw this was when Florence played Carol's grandmother, and Robert played Mike's grandfather, and they both got together; well the kids thought it would be a good idea to play matchmaker.

I LOATHE the backdoor pilot, which starred Mike Lookinland's (Bobby) real life younger brother. I never watch it.

• Love 3

The first season of the “Brady Bunch” definitely used a lot of “boys against the girls” plots. By season 2, as other posters mentioned, those plots mostly fell by the wayside and they mostly forgot about the blended family aspect. There were a few mentions, such as when Mike was having the kids photographed for Carol’s anniversary gift, and mentions that it’s their third anniversary. The photographer rolls his eyes and says, “three years, six kids!” They also mention it in the much-hated “Kelly’s Kids” backdoor pilot, when Kathy Kelly mentions that the Brady kids are also adoptees (Carol and Mike presumably adopted each other’s kids).

But they had other weird moments such as when Carol claims Greg gets his musical talent from “my side of the family.” Or when Jan wants Peter to manage her Most Popular Girl campaign instead of her rival’s, because “blood is thicker than water.”

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Zella said:

It always cracked me up how poorly dressed for Wisconsin winters the characters in The Young and The Restless were too. 

There was a satire show on a ways back that poked fun at that trope where an actress newly cast on a teen drama was getting fitted for a halter top and booty shorts and she asked if it made sense for her to wear that in a Michigan winter, only for the wardrobe lady to say, “we don’t pay attention to seasons.” 

• Sad 1
  • LOL 5
5 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

The first season of the “Brady Bunch” definitely used a lot of “boys against the girls” plots. By season 2, as other posters mentioned, those plots mostly fell by the wayside and they mostly forgot about the blended family aspect. There were a few mentions, such as when Mike was having the kids photographed for Carol’s anniversary gift, and mentions that it’s their third anniversary. The photographer rolls his eyes and says, “three years, six kids!” They also mention it in the much-hated “Kelly’s Kids” backdoor pilot, when Kathy Kelly mentions that the Brady kids are also adoptees (Carol and Mike presumably adopted each other’s kids).

But they had other weird moments such as when Carol claims Greg gets his musical talent from “my side of the family.” Or when Jan wants Peter to manage her Most Popular Girl campaign instead of her rival’s, because “blood is thicker than water.”

Yeah, since the girls had their surnames instantly changed from Martin to Brady upon their mother's re-marriage, it was a virtual certainty that Mike had adopted them and likely Carol had adopted the boys. Of course, there were those who tried to call foul on Carol for mentioning the hospital where Greg was born in a later TV movie. Yes, she hadn't actually borne him but even if she hadn't legally adopted Greg, why would Mike and/or Greg have kept the latter's birthplace a secret from her? It's not as though Carol would have set off a stink bomb in their maternity ward as a sign of protest for having allowed the late 1st Mrs. Brady to have borne him there!

• Love 2

I was watching the latest Rammstein video, which features your standard hallway with a bunch of security lasers everywhere at different angles. But here's the thing. Why have the lasers pointing in all different directions? Why not just pick one spot right by the entrance and do them close together, floor to ceiling? I know, it's for people to look cool as they contort themselves getting around them. But all of a sudden it hit me and now it just looks a bit silly.

• Like 2

I started watching ER again last month so I’m way back in S1 right now and last night I watched Love’s Labor Lost. First of all, still an amazing episode. That and All in the Family are my episodes where I can barely breathe the whole hour. So that said, even though I don’t work in healthcare I did watch a reaction video on YouTube a while ago from an actual OB and now I can’t get over how wildly unrealistic it is that no OB at County General was available for hours on end, and how they’re never around even in episodes before or after that when you do need them. Maybe they’re just chronically understaffed there or something? Just awful. I felt like I could understand why Mark was sued but the OB department should’ve carried some blame as well. 

ER did a lot of things well and realistically but pregnancy emergencies wasn’t one of them. By the time Abby had her emergency C-section the writing was so bad that she was losing all this blood but got to have a spinal after being told a general was quicker and somehow was completely wide awake while bleeding to death (and half reclining on the surgical table) to argue about her treatment and tell Luka to shut up…and then after the surgery she is wide awake and alert, sitting all the way up in bed, with her hair perfectly straight and in place. It’s almost hilarious. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Jack Arnold was really the only realistic TV dad to me on the shows I used too watch 

Same here but I felt sorry for him since his daughter Karen flaked out, his elder son Wayne was a bully and even his youngest Kevin wound up being an entitled whiner before the show's close. .and I was saddened in the closing narration that poor Jack died shortly after the show's timeline so he never really got to enjoy being an empty nester with Norma!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/30/2022 at 6:43 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

I started watching ER again last month so I’m way back in S1 right now and last night I watched Love’s Labor Lost. First of all, still an amazing episode. That and All in the Family are my episodes where I can barely breathe the whole hour. So that said, even though I don’t work in healthcare I did watch a reaction video on YouTube a while ago from an actual OB and now I can’t get over how wildly unrealistic it is that no OB at County General was available for hours on end, and how they’re never around even in episodes before or after that when you do need them. Maybe they’re just chronically understaffed there or something? Just awful. I felt like I could understand why Mark was sued but the OB department should’ve carried some blame as well. 

ER did a lot of things well and realistically but pregnancy emergencies wasn’t one of them. By the time Abby had her emergency C-section the writing was so bad that she was losing all this blood but got to have a spinal after being told a general was quicker and somehow was completely wide awake while bleeding to death (and half reclining on the surgical table) to argue about her treatment and tell Luka to shut up…and then after the surgery she is wide awake and alert, sitting all the way up in bed, with her hair perfectly straight and in place. It’s almost hilarious. 

That's so funny because I rewatched er a few months back and still that episude is one of the best episodes of a drama ever. Right Up there with ozymandias from breaking bad. 

But yes completely unrealistic. Not only was no OB present but you have to recall ALL these main characters in year one were residents. There was rarely ever even an attending ER physician present. 

Also in retrospect Dr greene is a selfish prick and no wonder his wife left him. Not only did he insist on staying ad an er physician which ok I get it, he refused to move to Milwaukee or some slightly smaller city snd a different er job for her. 

13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Same here but I felt sorry for him since his daughter Karen flaked out, his elder son Wayne was a bully and even his youngest Kevin wound up being an entitled whiner before the show's close. .and I was saddened in the closing narration that poor Jack died shortly after the show's timeline so he never really got to enjoy being an empty nester with Norma!

Yeah as I watched the show as an adult Kevin didn’t seem as likeable to me anymore.

My dad was Jack.  Stingy with money, a devout man, not touchy feely or huggy, and would often come from work agitated and stressed with the same facial looks as Jack. But time and age has softened him a little.  I mean a little.  But underneath a good guy too

im sorry too Jack couldn’t enjoy his later years.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Also in retrospect Dr greene is a selfish prick and no wonder his wife left him. Not only did he insist on staying ad an er physician which ok I get it, he refused to move to Milwaukee or some slightly smaller city snd a different er job for her. 

I consider Mark the cornerstone of the show (it really wasn’t the same once he died), but now that I’m an adult watching that storyline I hate the way he acted in it. Jen did sacrifice a lot and he should have been willing to be more supportive, and been happier for her, when she got the clerkship. I also work in the legal field now (albeit I am not a lawyer) and that’s a huge opportunity. Surely he could have gotten another job for a year or two…he was an ER doctor not an English major. And to not even talk to her before taking the attending job, ugh. 

Then again, Mark was also far from the only character who acted like County was the only hospital worth working at. People were overly attached to the place considering how many times there were explosions, shootouts, falling helicopters, hostage situations… 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/26/2022 at 10:25 PM, Zella said:

It always cracked me up how poorly dressed for Wisconsin winters the characters in The Young and The Restless were too. 

I was just watching Days of Our Lives today and commenting on how none of these Midwesterners were wearing coats.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:46 AM, Elizabeth Anne said:

This is what drove me crazy about Big Bang Theory.  The way they had these scientists working at a prestigious university and yet whenever finances are mentioned you are given the impression they are barely scraping by because Bernadette makes big money.  It's just ridiculous. 

They never seem to lack for money when it comes to buying comics etc and they eat out or take in for practically every meal for one thing. But ok, TV show poor.  I get it.

But what really creams my corn is that these guys all  make more money than the average viewer of this show is probably making, or certainly at least as much and yet we're being told "hey losers you're poor".  Ugh.

Plus the two university scientists share rent but the waitress lives in a place by herself.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

People were overly attached to the place considering how many times there were explosions, shootouts, falling helicopters, hostage situations…

Yes.   if I worked there, I would be looking for another job.   One where my life being in danger was not a regular occurrence.   Also where was security.    All the ERs I've been to since the 90s there was a security guard RIGHT IN the ER.   Not waiting to be called.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Yes.   if I worked there, I would be looking for another job.   One where my life being in danger was not a regular occurrence.   Also where was security.    All the ERs I've been to since the 90s there was a security guard RIGHT IN the ER.   Not waiting to be called.

There was even a security guard at the empty office building that was being used as a COVID vaccine site near me when vaccines first became available. He checked everyone’s IDs before we could go in for our appointments. My mom used to work in behavioral health and they also had security on site. 

I would have loved a plot line on ER where someone said they were leaving for a job where they could feel safer at work. I know Carter advocated for the metal detectors in S9 but they didn’t seem to stay that long anyway and crazy shit kept happening regardless. (Plus the amount of idiot fans who complained he didn’t buy them himself…hospitals still have to go through budgets and approvals; he couldn’t just do that without any kind of higher-up approval.) 

• Love 1

Along weather-related lines, I seem to recall a Hallmark (or Hallnark-like) Christmas movie set in Memphis. Tons of white fluffy snow all over and it stayed. I live a couple of hours away. Long-lasting heavy snow? At Christmas? The town would be shut down and forget Christmas, there wouldn’t be talk of anything else.

We do get the occasional heavy snow, but it’s only once every several years and usually hits in January or February. Ice is more common.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I recently binged 6 seasons of Longmire. It takes place in Wyoming. And there's never any change of seasons at all. 

I think they filmed in New Mexico, but still. 

On 'Yellowstone' this season, John Dutton was elected governor, and they held the inauguration and post-inauguration party outdoors, on a seemingly warm, sunny day. Not what I would have expected for Montana in January.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

And be made to do wildly inappropriate or illegal actions.

Or think you were adopted as a kid and met President Roosevelt like Samantha on Samantha Who only for her family to tell her she played Annie in a school play. Her father apparently was turned it to a chicken when he was put under as years ago and still has nightmares about it. 

• LOL 3

Criminal Minds is pretty bad for the "It's Always Spring" trope. They've had several episodes set in winter months where the BAU goes to places that should experience snowy weather- places like Wyoming in January ("Risky Business") and Alaska ("Exit Wounds")- but the grass is as green as it is in California, where the show shoots.

Those episodes don't take the cake because, as implausible as it may be, perhaps the BAU just got lucky in visiting those places where there was an unexpected warm spell (plus Alaska in May isn't necessarily that cold).

The episode that takes the cake is "All That Remains" (Episode 8.14), set in Baltimore in February. Not only is there no snow on the lusciously green ground, David Rossi at one point says in the episode, "it's 20 degrees out here" and I know he means Fahrenheit.

OK, maybe not the end of the world...perhaps it was a flash freeze and Baltimore went from 62 to 22 in the span of a day or something...unlikely but not impossible.

Then we get a scene in the pouring rain (with two characters getting drenched to boot) and...I just can't.

I don't know who to blame more- Thomas Gibson (who was directing his first CM episode) or the writer, showrunner Erica Messer. Gibson should have known better than to have torrential rain in a place where it's 20F, but Messer could have made things easier by setting the story in a place like Jacksonville and having Rossi remark "it's 40 degrees" instead of 20.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The grass discussion made me think of how our grass is almost always dried out and looks terrible because we're in a years long drought and water restrictions. A lot of yards look the same or worse for the same reason but on TV the grass always looks great. Any show set in the western part of the country should look like crap (I don't know if the other half of the country has the same problem). 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

In the winter, even if there's no snow on the ground for some unlikely reason, the grass is not green. It dies down to a kind of beige color. 

It's weird that the industry will fake all kinds of things, but not weather.

This is true. I suppose, in the days before CGI, you could let it go because there's only so much the producers can do.

Nowadays, where you can change colours in a frame with a click of a button, there's really no excuse.

I suppose producers are making the calculus that if the audience is noticing the grass being the wrong colour we're not noticing the actors (which may have some truth to it) but given the lengths some will go in painting a scene, it's surprising "winter grass" is still missed.

• Like 1