Type keyword(s) to search

Faux Life: Things That Happen On TV But Not In Reality

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

And if they didn't get up and take all that time making breakfast, they could HAVE SEX AGAIN and then just go out for breakfast, or something. If the sex was that great, wouldn't you want to have it again as soon as you could?

lol! By the time I'm done using mouth wash, showering, washing my face, I gotta eat. I'd totally appreciate breakfast at the house. 

On 6/17/2021 at 3:25 PM, Bastet said:

If anyone woke me up before I needed to get up, that would guarantee no more sex.

You know that's right! Getting laid is easy, getting sleep is hard. 

I know it doesn't sound sexy, but I take my food and sleep seriously! 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Throw in some Lucky Charms marshmallows and I might just give it a shot, since you're clearly not going to make me any French toast. lol

The one thing that always amazes me about mornings on TV is how much time these people have before work/school. As someone who is not in any way an early riser, I am lucky if I have time to put on some makeup before running out the door, forget about making a full breakfast, having a deep and meaningful conversation about anything (I'm more the grunt and nod type for the first few hours of the day). It's not just that they have all this time, it's that they have all this time in the daylight. For half the year I get up in the dark because of daylight savings. 

I’m hard pressed to remember a weekday before I was 13 (I’m 56) where I every had a leisurely breakfast  involving more than cereal or a protein bar during a work week.

I did not have kids, so maybe I would have been different than my mom who was still asleep when I left to go to high school.

• Love 6

Yeah, that's another thing, too-not only do people seem to have an inordinate amount of time to do stuff before heading off to work/school, but we rarely ever see anyone stumbling in dead tired and bleary-eyed. Whenever a character is walking around like that, it's usually just for the span of one episode and tied to a storyline for that episode. It's not often you see a character who's just naturally not a morning person and struggles to get up and get going in the morning in general. 

And if the characters have a job that has weird hours, it makes their ability to look all perfectly dressed and alert all the more amusing. I'd watch "Criminal Minds" and they'd have a case that called them in at, like, two or three in the morning and yet nobody's falling asleep at the conference table, all the women's hair looks nicely styled and they're wearing makeup, there wasn't a time when someone came in still wearing part or all of their pajamas or a wrinkled outfit they'd conked out in at home earlier....

• LOL 5
  • Love 10

It always killed me how tv moms not only had time to get up and make a full on weekday breakfast with variety of food   -- waffles (not Egos but waffle iron waffles), eggs, muffins, strawberries (all nicely hulled), and bacon -- but the ungrateful little bastards they made the food for never have time to sit and eat.  They are always running late so they grab a piece of bacon, take a sip of the (no doubt freshly squeezed orange juice) and run out the door.

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, that's another thing, too-not only do people seem to have an inordinate amount of time to do stuff before heading off to work/school, but we rarely ever see anyone stumbling in dead tired and bleary-eyed. Whenever a character is walking around like that, it's usually just for the span of one episode and tied to a storyline for that episode. It's not often you see a character who's just naturally not a morning person and struggles to get up and get going in the morning in general. 

As very much not a morning person, raised by two morning people, the absence of my peeps on TV as anything other than lazy bums has been a life-long annoyance even before I could identify it as such.  To this fucking day, despite all my accomplishments, my parents have still not fully grasped that being a morning person is simply a difference that enjoys mainstream prevalance, rather than a superior inclination from which some deviate.

It would never occur to me to go wake up a person who'd turned in by what would be, on my natural schedule, early, and ask why the hell they're in bed already.  That would obviously be ridiculous and rude.  But far too many morning people think it's perfectly fine to barge in on a person who's sleeping after they deem the proper time to get up, and ask why they're still in bed.  (For the same reason you went to bed when you did, moron, because I'm tired and need sleep, and this is when I get it.)

So I guess this is a frustrating example of art imitating life, where people with a natural "night owl" cycle are presented a) only in the extreme, staying up until the wee hours, b) as immature losers who don't grasp what the "real world" requires, and c) as bumbling idiots for wacky hijinks plot purposes when they have to get up early.  Reality is, our natural sleep times vary and we have the same range of productivity as any other group - perhaps even more impressive since we often have to fight against our very nature to adapt.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

As very much not a morning person, raised by two morning people, the absence of my peeps on TV as anything other than lazy bums has been a life-long annoyance even before I could identify it as such.  To this fucking day, despite all my accomplishments, my parents have still not fully grasped that being a morning person is simply a difference that enjoys mainstream prevalance, rather than a superior inclination from which some deviate.

It would never occur to me to go wake up a person who'd turned in by what would be, on my natural schedule, early, and ask why the hell they're in bed already.  That would obviously be ridiculous and rude.  But far too many morning people think it's perfectly fine to barge in on a person who's sleeping after they deem the proper time to get up, and ask why they're still in bed.  (For the same reason you went to bed when you did, moron, because I'm tired and need sleep, and this is when I get it.)

So I guess this is a frustrating example of art imitating life, where people with a natural "night owl" cycle are presented a) only in the extreme, staying up until the wee hours, b) as immature losers who don't grasp what the "real world" requires, and c) as bumbling idiots for wacky hijinks plot purposes when they have to get up early.  Reality is, our natural sleep times vary and we have the same range of productivity as any other group - perhaps even more impressive since we often have to fight against our very nature to adapt.

Yeah I'm sort of a weirdo in that I'm a morning person and a night owl, but I think afternoons can go die in a hole. If I had my way, my ideal existence would be a quasi-vampiric schedule where I was up from about 7 pm to 11 am/12 pm, but I can't really make that work with the rest of the world. 

I have finally trained the rest of my family not to pick at me about the schedule I currently keep, which involves going to bed around 2:30 am and waking up at 9:30, but I've never been able to go to bed as early as they have, which can be anywhere from 7 to 9. Even when I had jobs that required me to do that, I couldn't fall asleep. I'd just lie awake for hours. That was true even when I was a kid. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

.So I guess this is a frustrating example of art imitating life, where people with a natural "night owl" cycle are presented a) only in the extreme, staying up until the wee hours, b) as immature losers who don't grasp what the "real world" requires, and c) as bumbling idiots for wacky hijinks plot purposes when they have to get up early.  Reality is, our natural sleep times vary and we have the same range of productivity as any other group - perhaps even more impressive since we often have to fight against our very nature to adapt.

Speaking as a fellow night owl, YES. This. I agree with every last word of your post. 

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

100%!!! At the top of my head, I can't think of one TV character who gets up later being someone who has their act together. It's always someone who runs late to work, doesn't work, is a party girl, stuff like that. 

As a night person who has a hard time both falling asleep since childhood and often staying asleep, I am more productive later in the day. One cool thing is my direct supervisor is the same way. He doesn't mind if I don't respond to an email at 8 am. Most of my coworkers who are morning people and preferred early schedules when we were in the office are the less productive. This whole idea of those who stay up and get up late automatically being the irresponsible and lazy ones is so unfair. A lot of us are not partying or deliberately staying up for whatever reason. We truly have a hard time sleeping. I'd be sleeping right now if I were able to. I try not to eat too much before bed. I watch my caffeine intake. I don't let myself sleep in as much as I'd like. I don't know if I will ever be the girl who can sleep at 9 pm or even get eight hours of sleep. 

Also love the point about who has the time to have a leisurely breakfast before going to the office? That has to be a TV thing! I always thought I'd do that if I worked from home, and I still don't. lol Because I already get up late, by the time I've showered and done my whole morning routine, I really need to get to work. It's not time to make a smoothie or anything. 

TV moms crack me up in general, way beyond breakfast. They're usually total sweethearts, unless they're like mothers from hell. There aren't a ton of moms who love their kids and have many good qualities but can be bitchy and rude too. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

He doesn't mind if I don't respond to an email at 8 am.

No email before 9 or after 9. That's all you're getting out of me. I schedule them for 8, so they're there when you're ready. You can send me email whenever you want. But 9 to 9. That's it. 

I enjoy going to bed early because the mornings are cool and I want to get up and take advantage before it gets too hot. Then I can finish at 5 and sit outside for the rest of the evening. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

100%!!! At the top of my head, I can't think of one TV character who gets up later being someone who has their act together. It's always someone who runs late to work, doesn't work, is a party girl, stuff like that. 

As a night person who has a hard time both falling asleep since childhood and often staying asleep, I am more productive later in the day. One cool thing is my direct supervisor is the same way. He doesn't mind if I don't respond to an email at 8 am. Most of my coworkers who are morning people and preferred early schedules when we were in the office are the less productive. This whole idea of those who stay up and get up late automatically being the irresponsible and lazy ones is so unfair. A lot of us are not partying or deliberately staying up for whatever reason. We truly have a hard time sleeping. I'd be sleeping right now if I were able to. I try not to eat too much before bed. I watch my caffeine intake. I don't let myself sleep in as much as I'd like. I don't know if I will ever be the girl who can sleep at 9 pm or even get eight hours of sleep. 

Also love the point about who has the time to have a leisurely breakfast before going to the office? That has to be a TV thing! I always thought I'd do that if I worked from home, and I still don't. lol Because I already get up late, by the time I've showered and done my whole morning routine, I really need to get to work. It's not time to make a smoothie or anything. 

TV moms crack me up in general, way beyond breakfast. They're usually total sweethearts, unless they're like mothers from hell. There aren't a ton of moms who love their kids and have many good qualities but can be bitchy and rude too. 

Yes, being a night owl doesn't always mean your out partying late into the morning or something. I've been a night owl all my life and never went out partying. Usually home watching TV, reading or writing. Its not something you can control. You either are or you aren't. Its always been a pain when I had to get up early for work because I can't just go to sleep at eight or nine pm. Nope, its going to be late. Which means less sleep. I always liked shifts that started later because then I could actually get a full night's sleep and show up to work awake. 

My dad used to make French toast or pancakes for breakfast but he made them up on Sunday and always made enough for the rest of the week. We just had to heat them up in the microwave. No one on TV does that. Its always freshly made that morning.

• Love 13
17 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

It's not just that they have all this time, it's that they have all this time in the daylight.

FULL daylight.   Not dawn, not that weird time where the sun is up but its not bright out yet.   And the kids have to run or they will miss the school bus.    Unless the bus is coming at 9 and they only go to school from 10 to 2, they missed that bus by about 2 hours already.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

And the kids have to run or they will miss the school bus.    Unless the bus is coming at 9 and they only go to school from 10 to 2, they missed that bus by about 2 hours already.

Yeah, where's the families with that one kid who always seems to take forever and a day to get up in time for the school bus, and their mom or dad has to yell at them, like, fifty times to get up, the bus is almost here, they're not going to tell them again, etc.? That was how it was in our house when I was a kid. I'm not much of a morning person, but at least I did get up when it was time to do so. I was pretty good about being on time for things.

My sister, on the other hand, had to practically be dragged out of bed, and was constantly running against the clock to be ready on time. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

When we were sent off to work from home during Covid I though, I'll get up early and make a nice breakfast, maybe even take a walk (now that I'm home in a nice natural environment and not cigarette smoke, and piss scented city streets), or do some yoga! Instead, I get up 15 minutes before I have to log in, and that is only because it takes about 8 minutes for my laptop to boot up and me to log in, and I need the extra few minutes in case I put the password wrong the first time. I do my fancy breakfast of oatmeal, or a couple fried eggs at morning break. The walk, on a nice day, comes at late break. The yoga....hahahahahahaha

3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yes, being a night owl doesn't always mean your out partying late into the morning or something. I've been a night owl all my life and never went out partying. Usually home watching TV, reading or writing.

Same here. I am way more productive at night. I don't even start getting shit done until like 7PM which, if I got up super early would give me no time to sleep, so I get up as late as humanly possible. I even got used to showering at night so I could milk every last drop of morning sleep. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Mabinogia said:

I even got used to showering at night so I could milk every last drop of morning sleep. 

Same here. Anything that allows me to sleep in a little longer in the morning, I'll do it. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I agree. I used to be a night owl, but for several different reasons, I've been an early bird for almost 20 years.  I get up at 5:30-5:45am, 6 days a week, even when I don't have to (sleeping in for me is 6:30am-7:30am).  I have found over the years that I'm much more productive as an early bird, but I have friends who can get as much done by midnight as I do by noon. 

• Love 5

Meh, people on TV can take all the time they want in the morning, even if they don't eat much they can just sit at the table and talk to their roommates about last night's date or whatever and then stop for a coffee on their way to work and chat to someone else at the coffeeshop or on the street. If their job is not the focus of the story, like detectives or doctors, then their work schedule is 4 hours a day at most, during which they can get visits from all their friends or family and chat with them at work, or go to a lunch that lasts at least an hour.

If the show is about the characters' job, however, they spend all their days and often nights at work, and if they ever need to take a sickday, they need to be persuaded by everyone around them and then have no clue what to do at home, because they have no hobbies outside of work.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

If the show is about the characters' job, however, they spend all their days and often nights at work, and if they ever need to take a sickday, they need to be persuaded by everyone around them and then have no clue what to do at home, because they have no hobbies outside of work.

Which explains why they don't know anyone outside of work.  Get married (to someone from work)?  The whole wedding party plus the guests will consist of co-workers.  Become critically ill?  Only co-workers will be in the hospital room.  Hell, die and it's all co-workers at the funeral. 

Because, yep - characters on family/friend-based shows don't have jobs they have to actually do, and characters on work-based shows don't have family/friends they ever see, even at major life events.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Same here. Anything that allows me to sleep in a little longer in the morning, I'll do it. 

I used to not only shower in the evenings, but plan my outfit the night before, set my makeup out, have my lunch packed up, anything I could possibly do. I LOVE the feeling of being fresh and clean in the mornings, but if I didn't have time in the morning, I was obviously still just fine to go in to work. 

@Mabinogia We are so much alike regarding sleep and work! I also am more productive the later it gets. 

• Love 6

I think I recognized a recent(ish?) trend when it comes to unexpected pregnancies that I think happens so much more often on TV than I expect it does in real life. 

When a woman gets unexpectedly pregnant by someone who isn't their long term partner, the announcement tends to go like this:

I'm pregnant.  It's yours.  You can be involved as much or as little as you want.  (Or, I don't expect anything from you.)  I just thought you should know.

I wonder why writers do this.  Is this their attempt to turn women into cool girls who don't want to be an emotional or fiscal burden on their baby's father even though child support is about supporting the child?

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think I recognized a recent(ish?) trend when it comes to unexpected pregnancies that I think happens so much more often on TV than I expect it does in real life. 

When a woman gets unexpectedly pregnant by someone who isn't their long term partner, the announcement tends to go like this:

I'm pregnant.  It's yours.  You can be involved as much or as little as you want.  (Or, I don't expect anything from you.)  I just thought you should know.

I wonder why writers do this.  Is this their attempt to turn women into cool girls who don't want to be an emotional or fiscal burden on their baby's father even though child support is about supporting the child?

Maybe that's what they hope their own one-night stands they may have would do  if they wind up in the family way! 

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

I saw something on TV last night that I never expected to see. For all the people who have speculated if this thing was even possible -- yes, it is and there's proof.

On a Columbo episode from 2003, "Columbo Likes the Nightlife," the detective rolls up on a murder scene being his rumpled, disheveled self and first thing, asks for a cup of coffee. Someone hands him a large, open top styrofoam cup and there is actually coffee in the cup. A 3/4 full cup of something dark enough to be seen through the side of the cup. He drinks out of it and carries it around for a few minutes and even though this is Lt. Columbo we're talking about, doesn't spill any which to my mind is the most unreal thing about it.

So maybe carrying full carryout coffee cups is a lost art only veteran actors can pull off, but now I've seen it can be done.

• LOL 10
  • Love 8
33 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

So maybe carrying full carryout coffee cups is a lost art only veteran actors can pull off, but now I've seen it can be done.

Well I guess with coffee they can always get a fresh cup from craft services for each take so it doesn't get cold and yucky.   The level won't really matter, most people won't notice it, if he is only take a few sips.    But most food and drink gets cold after a few takes and its really hard to get the portions right for each take.   That's why its all fakes.

• Love 1
On 6/18/2021 at 9:48 PM, Annber03 said:

And if the characters have a job that has weird hours, it makes their ability to look all perfectly dressed and alert all the more amusing. I'd watch "Criminal Minds" and they'd have a case that called them in at, like, two or three in the morning and yet nobody's falling asleep at the conference table, all the women's hair looks nicely styled and they're wearing makeup, there wasn't a time when someone came in still wearing part or all of their pajamas or a wrinkled outfit they'd conked out in at home earlier....

On 6/19/2021 at 1:17 AM, Bastet said:

I'm a night owl, who is always trying to fix my sleep schedule. I love being up early, if I've had enough sleep, and one thing that gets to me, is that I've missed out on a lot of Spring mornings, when I wanted to be outside, but couldn't sleep the night before, so if I *am* awake, I'm usually grouchy and peering at everything, because the sun is hurting my eyes, and I have a headache. I'm at my best when I wake up and shower before 5am, if I've slept the night before, or I end up working on things in the middle of the night, and crawling into bed as the sun comes up, I hate being up all night now.

I've grown so used to being at home (even before the pandemic), for a couple of reasons, I have no idea how I'm going to adjust to living like a normal person, when I need to, for the reasons you both mentioned.

But, I'm in this thread, because I was thinking earlier on, that I'm tired of seeing people wake up looking all clean and tidy, with their hair smooth, faces smooth, well-rested, etc. I always seem to look like I've survived a horror movie, just going by the look of my hair alone. 

Oh, I've just noticed a little toad walking across my living room floor. They live in the garden. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Noticed this again on a show last night - people taking milk or orange juice out of a fridge and drinking directly from the container and then putting it back in the fridge.  I concede there are thoughtless people in real life who would do this but surely not as many as TV would have us believe?  I mean it's pretty disgusting.  Even pre-Covid would people - full grown adult people - actually do this with beverages meant to be shared by the family?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Even pre-Covid would people - full grown adult people - actually do this with beverages meant to be shared by the family?

I don't even do that with things shared by me unless I'm going to finish it within the day.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't even do that with things shared by me unless I'm going to finish it within the day.

Same.  My only exception is ice cream.  I don't know why but ice cream just tastes better straight out of the carton!  But I only do this with the smaller Ben & Jerry size containers!

• Love 5

I once went to an asshole's house when I was a child. His name was Dave. He offered us tea, and I was on the verge of accepting. Dave then drank straight out of the tea container. That was like 20 years ago, and I still think about Asshole Dave and the tea. I put nothing past anyone. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Well...hmmm...when I was a kid, we were all in and out of each other's houses all over the neighborhood. There was one house, you were always welcome to go in the back door (even if they weren't home), pull out the pitcher of ice cold water from the refrigerator and take a gulp directly from it. All the kids did it. None of us cared. It wasn't until I was well into my teens that I even considered that it might be problem.

We shared licks of Push-Up pops too. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Anela said:

But, I'm in this thread, because I was thinking earlier on, that I'm tired of seeing people wake up looking all clean and tidy, with their hair smooth, faces smooth, well-rested, etc. I always seem to look like I've survived a horror movie, just going by the look of my hair alone. 

Haha, I look like I did not survive the zombie apocalypses when I wake up. Eyes are bleary and unfocused, feet are shuffling along to the loo and whatever you do, do NOT talk to me! All you'll get for your trouble is a grunt and a bleary eyed glare. 

3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Same.  My only exception is ice cream.  I don't know why but ice cream just tastes better straight out of the carton!  But I only do this with the smaller Ben & Jerry size containers!

Same, but then, I consider the B&J pint to be one serving, so there's really no point in dirtying up a bowl. It comes with one. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Well...hmmm...when I was a kid, we were all in and out of each other's houses all over the neighborhood. There was one house, you were always welcome to go in the back door (even if they weren't home), pull out the pitcher of ice cold water from the refrigerator and take a gulp directly from it. All the kids did it. None of us cared. It wasn't until I was well into my teens that I even considered that it might be problem.

We shared licks of Push-Up pops too. 

My inner germophobe is gagging. I also didn't know Dave. I'd literally just met him, and he pulled that. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3

Oddly, I have no problem taking a sip from someone else's cup or giving them a sip of mine but am freaked out by people drinking directly out of a pitcher or carton. It's kind of the same thing and I never really thought about it before but it is my truth. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Oddly, I have no problem taking a sip from someone else's cup or giving them a sip of mine but am freaked out by people drinking directly out of a pitcher or carton. It's kind of the same thing and I never really thought about it before but it is my truth. 

I am the same way, unless the beverage in a cup is milk and then I also freak out. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Noticed this again on a show last night - people taking milk or orange juice out of a fridge and drinking directly from the container and then putting it back in the fridge.  I concede there are thoughtless people in real life who would do this but surely not as many as TV would have us believe?  I mean it's pretty disgusting.  Even pre-Covid would people - full grown adult people - actually do this with beverages meant to be shared by the family?

season 2 friends GIF

Another thing that I'm not sure if it is a TV vs. Real life thing, or if I am just not aware of people doing it in real life: people drinking from plastic bottles, when they clearly have a drinking tap water nearby (when they are in a kitchen for example). I am not super environmentally conscious, but I cringe a bit when I see that.  Also, do people often store this water in the fridge in real life? Almost everytime I see someone drinking water on TV, they take it out of the fridge. I can't drink anything that cold, so if I drink something that has to be stored in the fridge, I always take it out in advance. But I don't know if this is just me being weird.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Also, do people often store this water in the fridge in real life?

I don’t drink bottled water at home (and usually always have my own refillable bottle when I am out) but I do drink it out of a Brita in the fridge. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I never buy bottled water and hardly ever drink it (when I want to take water with me somewhere, I fill a stainless steel bottle), but, unfortunately, yes, I know several people who drink bottled water at home, even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with their tap water. 

(And, yes, most keep several bottles at a time in the refrigerator.  I like my water not quite ice cold, so I understand the temperature preference, I just don't understand the wastefulness when they could instead drink from the dispenser in their fridge/freezer [which is chilled and has a filter] or keep a Brita or other filtered pitcher filled if they don't want straight from the tap.)

I don't drink straight from the pitcher/carton/bottle of anything and stick it back in the refrigerator, but not because of germs (it's just me [and I don't much care about typical everyday germs anyway], because I never want just one swig of whatever I'm drinking.  So I pour it into a glass.  But a container of food I only want to eat part of that's a smaller size, much easier to take with me, yeah, then I'll just grab a spoon or fork if it's not something that needs to be reheated.

• Love 3

I keep a pitcher of tap water in the fridge.  The cold water straight from the tap isn't quite cold enough.  But I can drink less-than cold water when I'm away from home.

I do know people who drink bottled water at home, but the tap water in their part of the US tastes funny.  It's fine for cooking and washing, but it's really not drinkable.  

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I do know people who drink bottled water at home, but the tap water in their part of the US tastes funny.  It's fine for cooking and washing, but it's really not drinkable.  

Yeah, that's the case where I live. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I would think that's what Britta is for?

In general, you people make me feel like swine. I lick my spoon when cooking and put it back. Most likely also when I cook for people. So, some of you might not want to come for dinner.

• LOL 9
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Also, do people often store this water in the fridge in real life? Almost everytime I see someone drinking water on TV, they take it out of the fridge. I can't drink anything that cold, so if I drink something that has to be stored in the fridge, I always take it out in advance. But I don't know if this is just me being weird.

Not only do I drink it out of the fridge, I add ice.  I like it super cold. I think it helps smooth out the weird tastes of tap water.

But I rarely buy water bottles.  I have a jug in the fridge that I refill.  It helps me eyeball how much water I'm drinking too in addition to just giving me the cold.

I will buy bottled water when I travel somewhere because I don't know if I'll have a jug for the fridge and my tummy can be a little sensitive to drastic changes in tap water.

31 minutes ago, supposebly said:

In general, you people make me feel like swine. I lick my spoon when cooking and put it back. Most likely also when I cook for people. So, some of you might not want to come for dinner.

shock GIF

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Ah, I'm a double dipper so I'll come to dinner, spoon licking and all. I've done that too. *looks around furtively* I don't think anyone here has eaten at my house so I guess it's safe to admit that. :)

On the bottled water front. I have a plastic water bottle I bought once when I was out shopping and desperate for fluid lest I faint (it's happened before). I have been using this bottle for months. I don't see the point in using once and tossing. that's wasteful. It's great to fill and take if I'm going for a quick walk around the block. (I'm very VERY lazy and hate carrying a heavier bottle around with me. Yeah, that lazy!) I do keep it in the fridge filled with water for when I need it. I like my water like I like my ice cream...COLD.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 7

My mother, in her vodka-addled brain, used to water down milk when I was a kid and put it in our cereal. I would tell her that I'd rather just eat the cereal dry but nooooooooo. As a result, I have this irrational pathological revulsion at the idea of comingling water and milk that I have never been able to overcome. The ice in milk is just more than my damaged soul can bear. LOL 

I have really good tap water--well water--so I always drink it straight out of the tap, but I put ice in it because I want it colder than the faucet. When I lived in town--I know that makes me sound like a hick--and had city water, which I found intolerable, I used a Brita filter, and it worked out pretty well for me. I have occasionally bought bottled water while traveling, but I actually think bottled water tastes nasty as hell. I will reuse the bottles, so I often bring what looks like bottled water but is actually bottled tap water to work. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

I lick my spoon when cooking and put it back. Most likely also when I cook for people. So, some of you might not want to come for dinner.

Doesn't bother me - unless it's a rare case where you have something that could actually 1) harm me and 2) be transmitted that way - and I love when someone else does the cooking so I get a night off, so I'd be pleased to share a meal at your place.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, Zella said:

My mother, in her vodka-addled brain, used to water down milk when I was a kid and put it in our cereal. I would tell her that I'd rather just eat the cereal dry but nooooooooo. As a result, I have this irrational pathological revulsion at the idea of comingling water and milk that I have never been able to overcome. The ice in milk is just more than my damaged soul can bear. LOL 

That is horrifying! I'd rather dry cereal too. 

I feel fancy. I have a fridge that dispenses cold water. Before that I just drank tap water. It tasted like...water. I guess I've been lucky in where I've lived that I don't have nasty tap water. 

Watered down milk. Oh, that's gonna give me nightmares. I never had the iced milk last long enough for the ice to melt into watered milk. I'm a whole milk drinker. I can't even with the 2% and don't even mention skim milk. I will cut you! (I might take my milk too seriously). 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I never had the iced milk last long enough for the ice to melt into watered milk.

See, I hadn't even thought of that, but it makes sense! I retract my horror at the idea of ice in milk, though I still don't think I could handle it personally. 

• Love 1