Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E14: Pulling the Goalie

Mike's attempt to distract Harvey with a case backfires; Louis tries not to let emotion affect his judgment in a legal duel; Donna finds a way to prove her worth to the firm.

I have to say, this was the first episode in a while that I mostly enjoyed.

The Mike/Harvey bromance was back instead of them just yelling at each other (for the most part -- could have done without them being angry over Donna/the judge).

Donna was mostly not in the "The Donna" mode.

Louis was good at his job and reined in his pettiness, and actually was bonafide friends with Harvey. And although I think he deserves better (such as Katrina) he got his girl. 

There didn't even seem to be excessive and unnatural cursing. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

There didn't even seem to be excessive and unnatural cursing. 

There were a number of words bleeped out. I wish USA would make up its mind which four letter words it will air.

There was the usual unrealistic practice of law, but what's new? I just wish it was as easy to win a case by throwing a copy of a case across the table to opposing counsel, but whatever. What I still can't get over how easy it is to walk into corporate/law offices in NYC.

• Love 5

Oh for sure, there was still a lot of cursing, and now the writers have graduated to using a bleeped-out f-word. 

But all of it seemed relatively natural as compared to the strings of stuff like "You're goddamned sure as shit-covered shit that your goddamned motion was shitty" that no one would ever say in real life.

• Love 3

For the past few seasons I've been abused by this show to the point that the end of every half season, I considered myself a survivor of Audience Abuse in the first degree. I'm so glad they lightened up and went back to a style that made it enjoyable to watch again. I can only stand to see the good guys beaten down so often, and it seemed like it was constant for years. So kudos for lightening things back up.

18 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Louis was good at his job and reined in his pettiness, and actually was bonafide friends with Harvey. And although I think he deserves better (such as Katrina) he got his girl.

I'm surprised they went there. Or rather, that they went there now. I've always been a Louis fan, even when he was written as a two-dimensional cartoon. Now the writers have stepped up and made him a fun, quirky three-dimensional human, and proven that he's worthy of love. Good for them, and good for Louis.

What I thought might have been a better story would have been for Shiela to go ahead and marry her fiancé, and Louis unintentionally falls in with Katrina in the season ender. Halfway through season 8 their relationship falls apart, Louis goes somewhere really dark, and then at the end of S8, which is likely the series finale, Shiela shows up and things go exactly as they did tonight. In fact, that would have made for the best possible ending for the entire series in my mind.

Edited by NJRadioGuy

I think Sheila is a horrible person. I'll never understand why Louis is so hung up on her. And isn't she a tad long in the tooth to be getting pregnant without extensive medical intervention?

On 5/4/2018 at 9:51 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I think Sheila is a horrible person. I'll never understand why Louis is so hung up on her. And isn't she a tad long in the tooth to be getting pregnant without extensive medical intervention?

Sheila is indeed a horrible person - she had an affair with Louis, then prompted him to abandon his financial obligations to his client and firm.

However, Louis has also been mostly horrible. And overall, I'm not sure how many people on the show are not horrible (if you include in horrible "having committed or been an accessory to a crime or other serious ethical breach, along with being willing to do those things"). I think you're left with basically just Gretchen, as everyone else in the main cast is an accomplice in Mike's being a fraud at a minimum.  

Sheila was introduced as basically a female Louis -- smart, driven, in love with Harvard Law. With Louis's backstory, it seems like he never really had anyone who really was passionate about him. So he might have felt more for Sheila because it was a first time in that regard. And the sex apparently was mindblowing. 

Sheila is portrayed by Rachael Harris, who is 50, according to IMDB. Even if we assume that Sheila is 10 years younger, that would presumably need help. But it's not like the two of them can't afford it. It could also be that she's willing to "pull the goalie" because she thinks there's not much of a chance of her getting pregnant at her age. 

On 5/14/2018 at 9:25 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Sheila is indeed a horrible person - she had an affair with Louis, then prompted him to abandon his financial obligations to his client and firm.

However, Louis has also been mostly horrible. And overall, I'm not sure how many people on the show are not horrible (if you include in horrible "having committed or been an accessory to a crime or other serious ethical breach, along with being willing to do those things"). I think you're left with basically just Gretchen, as everyone else in the main cast is an accomplice in Mike's being a fraud at a minimum.  

Sheila was introduced as basically a female Louis -- smart, driven, in love with Harvard Law. With Louis's backstory, it seems like he never really had anyone who really was passionate about him. So he might have felt more for Sheila because it was a first time in that regard. And the sex apparently was mindblowing. 

Sheila is portrayed by Rachael Harris, who is 50, according to IMDB. Even if we assume that Sheila is 10 years younger, that would presumably need help. But it's not like the two of them can't afford it. It could also be that she's willing to "pull the goalie" because she thinks there's not much of a chance of her getting pregnant at her age. 

So late to the party, caught up to Episode 15 last night via Prime.  In terms of Sheila pulling the goalie, it is true that the odds of her getting pregnant "naturally" are not high, but the fact she is willing to even consider it is a huge step for her, like she said, they would let fate decide if they ended up with a kid together.

And yeah, I guess if being "horrible" is defined as committing professional conduct violations and/or criminal misdemeanors, this show is full of anti-heroes like Breaking Bad, but I guess their redeeming quality is that they do it for "good" reasons to help others instead of just trying to be a drug kingpin.