Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Chapter Thirty-One: A Night To Remember

• Start Topic

Okay first off: this cast is amazingly talented! Also this episode was fun.

All the same, I cared more about the actual show and plots without the singing, like the friendships and the Archie and Fred scenes. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the musical aspect but actual plot wise is what I enjoy most.

The opening scene was fun.

Also is this the first time we’ve heard Fangs speak?

Also.. the Barchie stuff. Which I’ve been waiting weeks to say this because I saw the episode. Yes Barchie shippers will use this episode wheee Barchie was tommy and sue and acting romantic but they were acting. I feel for Barchie shippers because everything was making it seem like something was going to happen.. but this wasn’t it. Also why would they want their couple to get together while they are with other people? Also as far as we know based on the episodes this season, Betty is ride or die for Jughead.. but again why would they want them to get together when they are with others? Why would they want them to be cheaters?

Anyway.. also.. look Veronica did lie to Jughead and Betty but I’m pretty sure she did not lie to Archie. did she? If she did it wasn’t as long as she was lying to Betty and Jughead. Also it’s odd to me that Betty doesn’t seem to think Archie’s in the wrong at all.. that she somehow thinks it’s all Veronica being a lying liar when Archie has been doing his own fair share of lying too. He’s not being a good guy by standing by her, he’s participating in the actions of veronicas parents, more so than her. Jughead could probably attest to that. Seriously as much as Bughead is somewhat talking like they used the, why haven’t they compared notes on this? 

Oh good. The blackhood is back. One is anyone excited about this? And two.. is anyone surprised? Like really it was wishful thinking that it was dead that story. Also if Kevin didn’t want anyone to know besides Jughead,  why did he let him video tape it? I..? What? 

Also again.. I kind of feel for the Barchie shippers that they thought the Barchie scene would lead to a romantic scene but after the song and dance he was making out with Veronica. Yup, he’s really pining for Betty. Also.. seriously where was he parking the car? I know he had to

Walk to it but still. Pretty sure it’s a fancy car that would stick it in a small town.

Ha. I love when Betty was talking to Ethel to get a confession and Jughead was trying to sneakily video tape. Oh fun Riverdale! I miss you. 

The Falice stuff.. I don’t know how I feel about it. I had no real feelings on it at first but with all the push from social media made me dislike it. 

Oh my god, you guys! They actually  resolved the Cheryl and Josie thing! I’m impressed. And Cheryl was quite kind and honest about what was happening. I’m glad Josie forgive her.

Veronica is such a gossip but she totally gets it From Hiram. Who really is a teenager.  He’s really threatened by a 16 year old! Remember a couple weeks ago when he was all interested in Jugheads hunger strike?  Like he’s really all up in the teenage gossip. The way he was asking Veronica all about why the car was at their place was so gossip like.

The Betty and Veronica scene.  Also I don’t get what Archie means, what Veronica is going through? The show hasn’t shown me anything to be on her side either. I wish I could be because the you shine scene was amazing. But again.. I don’t know how I feel about how it was all fixed. Veronica did lie( Archie has as well but for some reason Betty is ignoring this).

Ha. Hiram is also producing the school musical? The hell? But also again I feel like he really is a teenager, showing up just to drop the news that bought Archie a car. And a really expensive one at that.

I wish I could say I felt for Alice when she was calling Chic and he’s not responding.  But I did not. Chic is awful. And I wish Betty didn’t feel bad about it, Chic was awful and constantly put her in dangerous situations. No one would feel safe. Betty shouldn’t have to feel bad about that. I bet you that Chic we saw isn’t even the real Chic so yeah he’s probably not even in Riverdale anymore, he skipped town with Darla and that other guy I bet.

Also Kevin is still having Jughead tape the ransom notes but he doesn’t want anyone to know about this situation? 

I love Cheryl. This episode anyway. Also.. is she living at Toni’s? I’m assuming so, it looks like she’s borrowing her clothes. Also Penelope sucks. 

Also I love that Kevin told Toni where Cheryl was after he announced she couldn’t be in the play anymore. Also Cheryl is now just letting it out that she burned down her house? I thought she wasn’t really telling people this.

I wish I had liked the scene where Alice was singing and betty was watching but I feel like we were supposed to feel about the chic thing and ugh.. it ruins everything.  

“Am I directing a train wreck?” Probably. Look at who you cast in your play, Kevin.

And seriously.. they ruined the Alice thing with her mentioning Chic. Also to Betty “you and I have never been so frayed”? What? Uh.. what? I remember season one and Alice pretty much force feeding her pills and slapping her.. or did that not happen? I know season one exists in a alternate universe that doesn’t exist anymore but I remember it. Also ugh... when Betty said “I have to find a way to help her Jughead”, last time she wanted to help her mom she went and found her crazy more than likely faux brother Chic, so yeah. What genius plan will she come up with now? 

Archie is sort of making sense again. It took him a really

Long time But I don’t see it lasting long. Plus he took a blood oath like a dummy.

Also Bettys grand gesture was to call her dad? Last time he was in that house didn’t he say he wanted a divorce? I know he said some of that because a crazy person was living in his house but he also seemed like he really wanted one. Also yeah.. I feel like Hal knew Chic wasn’t his, that probably wasn’t a secret ti him like he said. Also Betty is aware of her parents marriage? Why would she want them to get back together?  Have they ever seemed happy? The only parents who seem happy are mary and Fred and they’re separated because she wants to live in Chicago and not Riverdale..

Also.. it was nice of Archie to

Get a car for him and Fred to fix together.

Cheryl coming to her (old) house drenched in a blood stained dress for her mother was epic. Epic! This is what Cheryl should be doing and taking her psycho tendencies on, her mother! Also yay, she’s taking the mansion and her Nana! I worry she much about Nana Rose you guys, last season I was worried when we weren’t sure if anybody saved her from the fire, I’ve been worrying that she’s getting more and more hurt ever since she told Toni where Cheryl waslocked up.And getting emancipation! 

Hermione trying to campaign at the school musical. 

Hey everyone likes Chuck again.

Ugh, chic has returned! Ew. Did Betty call him? Why? I hope she didn’t. 

That last scene was epic! The pan of midge! Poor midge! We will miss you.  Also Jugheads shaky camera work in the final moments.

Also now this is why a Riverdale High will never have a school musical ever again.

So all and all I enjoyed this episode it had fun moments. But the Black Hood is Black. And ugh.

• Love 2

Okay, I've known for a very long time that Carrie!: The Musical! is quite infamously one of the worst productions ever to grace the Broadway stage, but I've never heard a bit of its score, ever.  Thus, this question:

Riverdale's making this Carrie! shit up, right?  RIGHT?  "The World According To Chris?"  Are they fucking serious with this shit?  And that "Do Me A Favor" quartet?  What the fuck is going on?

(And for some strange reason, it's reminding me of Songbird! from Death Becomes Her.)

• Love 5

They are nefarious and out of my age bracket but for my money, Hiram and Hermione are the most beautiful couple on this show, young or old.

In some ways I like the more down to earth and devious Lodge antics.  Maneuvering to keep Archie and his father estranged is in no way over the top but still duplicitous.  It's easy for me to see why they are so good at what they do.  Low Key evil is always hard to spot.  And that may be why The Lodges out of all the old families in Riverdale, have been the most successful at least in terms of money.  I think the show has shown how the Lodges are hollow in a lot of ways the other households (The Andrews, The Kellers, The McCoy's and The Coopers) are not.

This episode also proved to me Veronica is NOT who I was hoping she would be.  The girl I was hoping she would evolve into would NOT have taken that crap from Betty.  Veronica has a tendency to make me laugh so I can still enjoy the character but ugh, she is far to fond of Betty for my liking.  Hiram and Hermione need to school their daughter a little more.

I do love that Kevin and Veronica are so close, even if I wish they would show it more.  I love that he ok'd advertising for Hermione with his playbill.

Chuck Clayton......Woof.  And while the eye sex during Veronica's solo definitely packed chemistry If she's going to be with a goody good, then she should just keep Stud Archie.  Veronica telling Chuck he's cool in her "Veronica" way and him replying "What does that mean?" did make me laugh.  I hope he's allowed to keep some edge.  If so, I want a future triangle with Archie/Veronica/Chuck.

Cheryl..........there are no words.

All in all,  I didn't like the episode.  But I think it's because I'm a little over musicals.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Demian said:

Okay, I've known for a very long time that Carrie!: The Musical! is quite infamously one of the worst productions ever to grace the Broadway stage, but I've never heard a bit of its score, ever.  Thus, this question:

Riverdale's making this Carrie! shit up, right?  RIGHT?  "The World According To Chris?"  Are they fucking serious with this shit?  And that "Do Me A Favor" quartet?  What the fuck is going on?

(And for some strange reason, it's reminding me of Songbird! from Death Becomes Her.)

Seriously, I knew nothing about it before except for its existence, but those lyrics were so bad it seemed like a Simpsons parody. 

Edited by Superclam
It's "its" not "it's."
  • Love 7

Good episode... But still... Josie just let's Cheryl off the hook.. And disappears into the ether... Betty was in rare form with Veronica but all was forgiven... That song was right on the nose tho... Later they all "forgive" chuck but no one apologized to him... Including Josie and Cheryl... Hal gets let back into the house after treating Alice's kid like dog shit and cheating on her?? 

Still some heat coming off my screen from that Veronica lap dance... I'd need a bottle of water afterwards too chuck... And i saw how she looked back... Somn is gonna happen there... Especially now that he cut his dreads for the summer until Tobias whale needs him again

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Which I’ve been waiting weeks to say this because I saw the episode. Yes Barchie shippers will use this episode wheee Barchie was tommy and sue and acting romantic but they were acting. I feel for Barchie shippers because everything was making it seem like something was going to happen.. but this wasn’t it. Also why would they want their couple to get together while they are with other people? Also as far as we know based on the episodes this season, Betty is ride or die for Jughead.. but again why would they want them to get together when they are with others? Why would they want them to be cheaters?

You've literally said this in the spoilers thread for weeks. 

15 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Oh my god, you guys! They actually  resolved the Cheryl and Josie thing! I’m impressed. And Cheryl was quite kind and honest about what was happening. I’m glad Josie forgive her.

A half-assed apology in which she made excuses about it, and it was resolved in all of 2 minutes. And did she apologize to Chuck?

Betty's the absolute worst. So petty. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

You've literally said this in the spoilers thread for weeks. 

A half-assed apology in which she made excuses about it, and it was resolved in all of 2 minutes. And did she apologize to Chuck?

Betty's the absolute worst. So petty. 

Well I said it in the spoilers because that’s where I could talk about it on these threads. 

Also I still like Betty, I don’t get why she doesn’t hold Archie accountable for the same stuff as Veronica though.

And the Cheryl stuff they addressed it at least, maybe not in the best way.. but in a way. That’s more for some other stories they leave hanging. 

I enjoyed this episode, it was fun. Also yes Carrie the musical looks bad but I’m glad they didn’t use a musical I enjoy a lot and mess it up.

i do feel bad about Midge. She hardly even got to talk and now she’s gone. Also were We supposed to take something from the moment when Kevin walked into her dressing room and Fangs and she were standing there? Also right after Moose seemed angry about something.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3

Some of the little plot resolutions, like the Cheryl/Josie bit, were Glee-level brief (fitting, perhaps, since it’s the musical episode), but I quite enjoyed this one.  You can tell everybody was having a ball with it.

Loved the 70s clothes and Farrah hair for the girls in the musical.

The actor playing Chuck has always been super-charming, and I guess he’s going to be among the good guys now?  He had a nice voice, too.

• Love 4

I didn't think they would be singing so much. They're all really talented actors. I was surprised that they'd actually be performing Carrie, which was Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark before it existed. Coincidentally the showrunner worked on Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark. He clearly has a thing for trainwrecks.

18 minutes ago, Demian said:

Nope. Those are actual musical numbers from the musical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_(musical)?wprov=sfla1

Hi Midge! Bye Midge! It's probably just as well that she didn't have to see Moose checking Kevin out during the episode and in the future.

What was Hiram's grandplan in telling Fred about the car? If he wanted the car back, Archie's dumbass would have given the car back. By putting his and Hermione's names on the program, they continue to come like carpetbagging assholes. Whereas Fred probably has a big old thank you in the program. Plus they've put an unnecessary wedge between Archie and Veronica.

One of the things that I loved in one of Latoya Ferguson's recaps is that this show is too dumb to realize that Archie and Veronica are actually the villains this season.

• Love 3

It's been awhile since I saw Carrie but I do remember the mother being less "please don't go" or lock your ass in a closet and beat you with a broom.

Maybe I would have liked the episode more if it wasn't ruined by Archie being gaslit so hard by the Lodge family. Telling Betty she is mean girling Veronica and that she has things going on at home that no one knows about. Um she basically blackmailed her parents to let her in the family business. If she is having regrets it's her own damn fault. 

I would have been more impressed with Archie giving the car back and being on good terms with Fred if he wasn't still up Hiram's butt.

Damn Cheryl is crazy and I love it.

The black hood is back and I dont care. Definitely not surprised because really the janitor. But please please kill Hiram. Maybe Chic to if the BH isn't too busy being way to interested in teenages. 

Aw FP going by to the play for Alice only to see her with Hal. That's ok I like him being sexy and single. I don't remember if they plan on bringing Jughead's mom on.

• Love 5

What is it with musical episodes lately? They're all freaking over the place! Oh my God, Carrie the Musical looks like an absolute garbage fire, and now I want to see the whole thing in all its shitty, shitty glory. 

A whole lot of issues got worked out this week. Mostly through song. As one does. Cheryl and Josie, Mr. and Mrs. Cooper, Betty and Veronica, Archie and Fred, Chuck and everyone. All it took was one conversation pretty much, and everything's cool. Maybe the north and south sides could get together through song? *inserts picture of everyone snapping in motion* It was like the writers of Glee took over!

The cast is very talented, even if the songs and dance was pretty cheesy, even my TV musical standards. Kevin has a great voice, wish we could have heard it more. They also looked nice in their 70s clothes and hair. And, while I cant say this was a great episode, I did enjoy it going back to crazy, and the fun kind of crazy. 

Speaking of fun crazy, of course Cheryl tales the Carrie role SUPER seriously. She was shooting some serious crazy eyes, with all the dripping over her, it was pretty amazing. Mrs. Blossom should have known better than to mess with Cheryl. Cheryl sees your crazy and raises it to eleven. I do love that she stood up for Nana Rose, who is my favorite Blossom. 

At least Archie is getting closer to realizing how crappy he`s been acting. And I hope this means Chuck can stay a good guy, even if still has a bit of an edge. The actor is really likable, and I would love to see him around more as a better character. 

Poor Midge. Hardly said anything, and now she wont be saying anything ever. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also I still like Betty, I don’t get why she doesn’t hold Archie accountable for the same stuff as Veronica though.

Because she's the absolute worst. She can blackmail Cheryl and do all sorts of shady shit, but Archie and Veronica acting in a manner she doesn't approve of causes her to be a jerk to V. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, HunterHunted said:

I didn't think they would be singing so much. They're all really talented actors. I was surprised that they'd actually be performing Carrie, which was Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark before it existed. Coincidentally the showrunner worked on Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark. He clearly has a thing for trainwrecks.

Nope. Those are actual musical numbers from the musical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_(musical)?wprov=sfla1

Hi Midge! Bye Midge! It's probably just as well that she didn't have to see Moose checking Kevin out during the episode and in the future.

What was Hiram's grandplan in telling Fred about the car? If he wanted the car back, Archie's dumbass would have given the car back. By putting his and Hermione's names on the program, they continue to come like carpetbagging assholes. Whereas Fred probably has a big old thank you in the program. Plus they've put an unnecessary wedge between Archie and Veronica.

One of the things that I loved in one of Latoya Ferguson's recaps is that this show is too dumb to realize that Archie and Veronica are actually the villains this season.

Hiram wanted to create more of a wedge with Fred and Archie by telling Fred about the car. But yeah I don’t know what the end goal of that was, if Fred demanded Archie give back the car, Archie would have. Unless Hiram was hoping it would create a wedge and Archie comes to live with The Lodges or something.

I don’t think Archie or Veronica are villians but I do feel like the show isn’t showing us enough what she’s apparently going through and how “tough it is for her” to side with her family. And Archie bringing up the Black Hood thing.. at least we saw Bettys turmoil going through that. I don’t think we’ve seen anything on Veronicas side, except her flashing guilty looks when someone has asked her point blank what’s going on. And yes she did cry to Hermione but the show doesn’t show me enough to understand.

Anyways... I don’t think this show

will ever have a musical episode again, not because this was terribly awful or anything but because we.. Riverdale can’t have another musical as a student was killed during this one.

Hiram wanted to create more of a wedge with Fred and Archie by telling Fred about the car. But yeah I don’t know what the end goal of that was, if Fred demanded Archie give back the car, Archie would have. Unless Hiram was hoping it would create a wedge and Archie comes to live with The Lodges or something.

It was more about sabotaging Fred Andrews appeal as a family man.  They wanted a public fissure between him and Archie, thinking the town would find it rich, a guy campaigning on family values, with no solid family.  Hence why Hiram being glad that Mary is gone (for more than the simple reason of him loathing her).  A parent coming between a boy and a hot car at Archie's age, would not usually end in such a affirming manner.  At least that's what Hiram and Hermione were counting on.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, RandomWatcher said:

If I were to rank musical eps, it would go like this

1. Buffy

2. Riverdale

3. Once Upon a Time

4. Flash

I’ve only seen the Buffy and Riverdale musical eps out of this list and I tend to agree, the Buffy musical is pretty epic, I don’t think any musical episode can beat that, I just remember it weaving into the shows plots during that season so well. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

It was more about sabotaging Fred Andrews appeal as a family man.  They wanted a public fissure between him and Archie, thinking the town would find it rich, a guy campaigning on family values, with no solid family.  Hence why Hiram being glad that Mary is gone (for more than the simple reason of him loathing her).  A parent coming between a boy and a hot car at Archie's age, would not usually end in such a affirming manner.  At least that's what Hiram and Hermione were counting on.

Yeah, when it comes out that Archie and Fred were estranged because Hiram bought Archie a car without talking to Fred, there's not a parent in Riverdale who would be on the Lodge's side. They bought a 15 or 16 year old kid a car without talking to his parents. Hiram and Hermione are cartoon people.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sonoma said:

Veronica literally lied and manipulated all of her friends regarding Southside High closing. That's just part of what she's done to her friends because she's in cahoots with her parents and has been covering up their deeds. It went beyond behaving in "a manner she doesn't approve of". And poor blackmailed Cheryl has been a horrible bully and has said and done incredibly mean things to most of these kids for years. Just because Veronica makes up with cupcakes and grand announcements doesn't make her a better friend. It doesn't make her a worse friend either.

I'm all for everyone having their favorite characters and their least favorite characters. But let's not pretend that any of these characters are any more hypocritical or worse than anyone else in terms of the story they've been given.

I did find B&V's moment amazing though! I loved it. It was worth their tiff to see them make up in such a sweet way.

This! It’s how I feel about all of it. I

loved the B and V moment but I can’t deny that I personally as a viewer haven’t seen the suffering Veronica is going throughout this whole thing. I’ve sort of seen Archie’s and Archie’s not even a character I like a lot. But I also don’t get why Betty seems to forget Archie has been in cohorts with The Lodges too. 

• Love 2

Yeah, when it comes out that Archie and Fred were estranged because Hiram bought Archie a car without talking to Fred, there's not a parent in Riverdale who would be on the Lodge's side. They bought a 15 or 16 year old kid a car without talking to his parents. Hiram and Hermione are cartoon people.

Ya, In Riverdale, I don't think this would be a deal breaker. Shrug.

• Love 1
Just now, Advance35 said:

Ya, In Riverdale, I don't think this would be a deal breaker. Shrug.

Yeah.. and from the brief scene in which Hermione was smiling and shaking hands with people before the play, it looks like she has fans. So.. I guess some people  in town are team Lodge.  That’s what I’m kind of curious about, I wonder what voters Fred thinks he has, I know The Lodges are banking. On some sort of Family Vaulea Strong thing but how strong are the families  and their values in Riverdale? 

If I were to rank musical eps, it would go like this

I'd go:  Glee, Pilot; Glee, Madonna; Glee, Something Else I Can't Think Of Right Now, But Was Probably Pretty Good For Glee; and then Buffy, Once More With Feeling; mainly because the Buffy people couldn't sing for shit.

Oh my God, Carrie the Musical looks like an absolute garbage fire, and now I want to see the whole thing in all its shitty, shitty glory. 

You and me both.  There are bits of it here, but I'm sure I'm gonna hunt down and find a full version of this glorious pile of shit before the end of the week.

Well, I'll desperately search for a full version of this glorious pile of shit before the end of the week, desperately fail in my search, and desperately weep into my pillow for about two minutes before moving on with my life.

Seriously, I knew nothing about it before except for it's existence, but those lyrics were so bad it seemed like a Simpsons parody. 

God, I'd hope The Simpsons people were better at it, but you are definitely not wrong.

I will say, though, that turning Shannon Purser's Ethel into Edie McClurg's character from the original movie was both obvious and really, really satisfying.

• Love 6

I don’t really count any episodes of Glee as a musical episode as Glee was a musical show. Every episode was a musical.. unlike shows like tonight’s Riverdale or the Buffy episode. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

I forgot to say, my absolute favourite dialogue exchange (paraphrased):

Cheryl:  "I'm not the same girl who burned down Thornhill or cut off mother's oxygen."
Toni:  "Sure you are!"

Good that they're on the same wavelength about acceptable behaviour.

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I forgot to say, my absolute favourite dialogue exchange (paraphrased):

Cheryl:  "I'm not the same girl who burned down Thornhill or cut off mother's oxygen."
Toni:  "Sure you are!"

Good that they're on the same wavelength about acceptable behaviour.

Right? I was shocked Cheryl shared that information that she did actually burn the house down. I

thought it was supposed to be a hush hush thing, and I fully expected some character in a future episode make a reference about Cheryl like “and her house burning down.. about 98% sure she’s the one who started it..”

• Love 1

I kind of just assumed that people guessed what Cheryl did, even if no one has proof, or really cares to do anything about it. 

"Oh, the Blossom house burned down huh? Gee, I wonder who that could have been. Do we know any teenage girls in the family who enjoy walking around dramatically with a candelabra and is a few fries short of a Happy Meal?" "Well, Blossoms gonna Blossom." 

• Love 11
Just now, tennisgurl said:

I kind of just assumed that people guessed what Cheryl did, even if no one has proof, or really cares to do anything about it. 

"Oh, the Blossom house burned down huh? Gee, I wonder who that could have been. Do we know any teenage girls in the family who enjoy walking around dramatically with a candelabra and is a few fries short of a Happy Meal?" "Well, Blossoms gonna Blossom." 

Yeah, probably. I just thought it was funny that they really are just letting it be open. Also it is funny how Toni is just cool with that and taking out her moms oxygen mask but then again Toni has seen some stuff as well, being in the serpents and all, so yeah, nothing probably fazes her.

• Love 1

Best singer?

Tough for me to say.

Also the best musical was clearly Scrubs. 

2 hours ago, Sonoma said:

Veronica literally lied and manipulated all of her friends regarding Southside High closing.

Lied, because her parents asked her to...but if she defied them...what good would it do? 

Plus as I've said, the Lodges plan isn't really super nefarious...and the southside kids got the better deal. Attending a school that isn't a literal drug lab?

• Love 4

Great singing, but I agree that Psych and Scrubs had the best musical episodes. I also liked the Flash one.

I still hate how Archie is Hiram’s bitch, but at least he gave up the car. It’s also nice to have Chuck back, since the actor is now a bad guy on the other show he’s on. I miss seeing that charismatic personality and smile.

• Love 2

Holy Mother of God, wow.

I didn't think the Carrie musical was an actual thing until I read the comments and was busy scraping my jaw off the ground for most of this episode. It's so bad you honestly can't tell if it's supposed to be that bad. I kept thinking is this a parody? What the hell is happening? Especially since nothing outside the actual performances made any more sense--Jughead, don't tell anybody about these threats while you VIDEOTAPE ME TELLING YOU about said threats! Ethel, um, were you like, planning to kill Cheryl? It's okay, you can tell me, Jughead isn't taping this either, honest. Oh, and the Black Hood thing's back, yay. Chic and the BH are the herpes of this show. Always a new flare up.

Let's have Betty's mom play Mrs. White while having high schooler Josie play a teacher (age appropriate casting, my butt.) Speaking of, FP, what's with the cold shoulder? At least this gets Hal back in the picture, even though you'd think contacting POLLY and the grandkids would make more sense but let's not mention them at all.  Chic, why are you still hanging out here, again? Betty, seriously, did you get hit on the head? Did you INVITE him?

Betty and Veronica make up in thirty seconds! Also, Vee apparently speaks for everybody, including Ethel, when she declares Chuck totally okay now! Yes, he does seem sincere in his efforts to reform but maaaaaybe run it by her first? I guess she's too busy not hiding really damning evidence in her own private dressing room that has no lock on the door. 

Archie and Betty having a few move the plot along moments but it's like they hardly know each other. Also, why is Betty in full Farrah Glory hair while everybody else just has their regular look and a V neck sweater on? 

Archie, to be fair, is busy realizing that hey, maybe his dad is hurt at being replaced, which is made easier for him by Hiram's truly tin-eared reveal about that stupid car. Did he really think that would work? I'm starting to wonder if his goal is to sabotage Hermione, honestly.

Kevin's bitchy perfection as director was--bitchy perfection, topped off with a delightful seventies tux (HE'S in the era-appropriate costume while all the other guys are just wearing modern day? What the hell?) "Am I directing a train wreck?" followed by "Where's my tea?" Give this actor more to do, please.

Aaaannnnnd CHERYL! Ahhh, nothing's better than her and Penelope facing off in a spitting snarl-fest. Especially when her new girlfriend, probably tired of sharing all her clothes, encourages her with sweet nothings like you are TOTALLY the nutbar that burned down your own house and threatened your mom's life! Love you to pieces, doll! But since Penelope didn't really, you know, do anything about Cheryl's escaping from that dark convent in the first place she kinda brought it on herself. I really want these two actors to go on the road with VC Andrews: A Revue.

Poor Midge! Not only did she get murdered, she apparently did it completely silently while surrounded by people who didn't notice the lead role was nowhere to be found! She just never got a break. First shot, than stabbed--and it's not like the Black Hood even cared about her at all. Why did the BH do it, anyway? His/her demand was to replace Cheryl, and that happened. 

I can see why they decided to use the musical as the frame--it moved the crazy along at a clip even Riverdale can't maintain outside of that heightened reality. And all the swirling clouds of nuttery hid the fact that they did a really good job of setting up several suspects: Ethel, Moose, Chic...they all were in the right place at the right time. Ethel was shown to have been ripped off, Moose was filmed by Jughead stomping angrily down the hall just before opening, and Chic is of course a friggin' lunatic. 

All the same, I cared more about the actual show and plots without the singing, like the friendships and the Archie and Fred scenes. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the musical aspect but actual plot wise is what I enjoy most

Exactly. Things that would have demanded at least an episode or two of angsting in normal circumstances could get wrapped up and moved along quite hastily with this format; while it seems silly, at least it got done. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

Best singer?

Tough for me to say.

Also the best musical was clearly Scrubs. 

Lied, because her parents asked her to...but if she defied them...what good would it do? 

Plus as I've said, the Lodges plan isn't really super nefarious...and the southside kids got the better deal. Attending a school that isn't a literal drug lab?

I still believe the Lodges might have something else up their sleeve. Or at least I hope they do, otherwise all this shady stuff was for a prison and that’s kind of lame. I mean Hiram is doing other real shady stuff that we are never really clear about it- he’s clearly in some sort of mob/Mafia thing but so far that has yet anything to do with the Riverdale town but we will see. I’m kind of hoping there’s more to it because like I said.. lame.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Snookums said:

Fair enough, but still, man. Ethel really is the Carrie White of the actual novel, and she gets treated about as well.

True. Also I’m assuming she’s going to be a main suspect as the blackhood  next week because Jughead found the magazine clippings in her dressing room trash can.. I’m assuming that’s a red herring because really?  Also she wanted to be Carrie white. When Kevin said he had an understudy already picked out and he said Midge, the camera did pan on Ethel for a little to insinuate something I think. 

Speaking of the Black Hood.. I don’t get why we are rehashing it again. Also i did love the preview where Archie is freaking out about it again.. eh, I know when the Black Hood started it was kind of about you Archie  for like 2 seconds but then it started to be about Betty and you were off making vengeance groups called the red circles where you made the members wear masks and take off their shirts, so.. yeah.

Im meh on Chuck. I guess he’s nice now which is fine but I doubt we will be seeing him a lot because he’s now working on another cw show?  I mean I guess it’s good he can be a good guy and still show up sometimes. I do love how it’s Veronica who gets to make the decision that Chuck is a good guy. 

I was really hoping there would be no Chic. And I know he was only screen for about five seconds but five seconds too long. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

Well, I'll desperately search for a full version of this glorious pile of shit before the end of the week, desperately fail in my search, and desperately weep into my pillow for about two minutes before moving on with my life.

Demian, allow me! (Posted over at A/V club, that has terrific writeups about Riverdale!)

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

I'm still waiting for Betty to apologize to Chuck for her fucked up hot tub actions. But Roberto continually demonstrates his anti-blackness. 

This show has always been virulently antiblack. But that's par for the course, especially on the CW.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Snookums said:

Demian, allow me! (Posted over at A/V club, that has terrific writeups about Riverdale!)

I’ve seen enough of Carrie the musical in real life, not the full musical but enough. It was a perfect musical for this show, I feel like any other musical they may have chosen would have been not good. This sort of fit, but no.. it’s not a good musical by any means.

• Love 1

I'm still waiting for Betty to apologize to Chuck for her fucked up hot tub actions. But Roberto continually demonstrates his anti-blackness.

Not to mention that he and Josie, who actually had a great connection for the thirty five seconds they were allowed to share a screen earlier this season, NEVER interact in this entire episode. At ALL. 

• Love 8

I quite liked this episode. It felt the most high school episode this season. I liked the group numbers the best,a probably because it showed off the ensemble. Also, Jughead on sidelines was such a relief. And the emotional beats of the episodes were surprisingly effective. 

• Love 4

Well, damn!  I know the phrase "the power of song" is a thing, but who knew that a musical episode would solve almost all of the interpersonal drama?  Cheryl apologizes to Josie and they're back to being buds, Veronica and Betty make up, Archie quits being a dick to Fed, Alice and Hal of all people might be back on track, and even freaking Chuck comes back to be forgiven by the cast for his fratboy antics!  It's a musical miracle, y'all!

The songs were ridiculous (and I had no idea that the Carrie musical is a real thing until now), but the cast does have great singing voices, and it was cool that almost all of them got to use them, except surprisingly Jughead/Cole Sprouse, since he was stuck on camera filming duty.  Well, I did notice that my beloved Reggie wasn't involved in it, so maybe Charlie Melton isn't a singer?  But I choose to believe Reggie was busy campaigning.  Get those votes, my man!  Team Rosie!

I am perfectly fine with Veronica getting her feet put to the fire, but Betty trashing her in front of everyone for really no good reason, is just hard to handle.  The person who is currently hiding that her half-brother killed a man and she, her boyfriend, her boyfriend's dad and her mother helped cover it up, is getting onto someone else about being untrustworthy?  Yeah, you can drop that arrogance, Betty.

Totally knew Hiram was going to overplay his hand by bringing up the car to Fred.  For someone who acts like he is the smartest person in the room, Hiram really kind of sucks at reading people a lot times.

Cheryl going full-blown nutso on Penelope was everything.  Glad part of it was to help Nana Rose too, and not just herself.  Madelaine Petsch is just the best.

A small thing almost made me choke on my food laughing, was the bit after Alice broke down on stage, and they cut to Veronica and Archie's reactions, and K.J. Apa is totally doing the whole "gaped mouth" shocked look.  I swear, I hate picking on him because I do have fondness for him, but he really has some of the goofiest acting choices out of the cast.

I wonder how much more we're going to see of Chuck, since Jordan Calloway's role on Black Lightning seems to becoming more prominent now.

Surprise, Surprise: the Black Hood was totally not some random dude they just met, and is now back and trying to finish what he started.  And it seems like he succeeded with poor Midge.  They better at least end this arc before the season ends.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Advance35 said:

I do love that Kevin and Veronica are so close, even if I wish they would show it more.  I love that he ok'd advertising for Hermione with his playbill.

I figured that Hermione paid for the printing of the playbill. Archie's father donated his time and hard work to the play, the Lodges show their support through money.

2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Im meh on Chuck. I guess he’s nice now which is fine but I doubt we will be seeing him a lot because he’s now working on another cw show?

That show wrapped for the season, Chuck is free to spend as much time in Riverdale as he likes.

Where is Cheryl staying? She should live in the trailer park and become the leader of the Serpents. If the Serpents kill her mother and uncle, they can turn the Blossom mansion into their new clubhouse. Well, we're moving on up, to the Northside!

How much trouble is Kevin in for not letting his father know the Black Hood is back?

• Love 1

After this episode I find myself really wanting to see the usual couples split up and regrouped, at least for a while, because the Betty/Archie and Chuck/Veronica scenes are such a breath of fresh air just for the change, even though I usually prefer Bughead and Varchie. Well, maybe not Varchie anymore. They're in a rut and Chuck is awesome with Veronica, even without the lap dancing. Maybe we can pretend certain episodes never happened. Because hell, the writers do it all the time. I'm dreading Moose/Kevin but that's probably where the show is headed. I hope there's at least a decent interval. 

Minority Report:

Josie got a shit apology and vanished

Toni got to run around behind that self-obsessed diva and prop up her madness

Reggie and the pussycats are still in the phantom zone

Fangs got to be the guy who Kevin yelled or talked at (not with) 

Midge said a word or two then got killed

Hiram Lodge said like 4 words in Spanish

Heirmoinie (sp?)  Shook some hands

Chuck got to grovel and keep his head down like it was 1968 and he just cat-called a blonde woman... But its ok he was forgiven ( for... Um... Being a high school boy I guess)  and no one ( Cheryl Josie Betty Jughead Veronica)  said sorry to him.  

To be honest I'm still not sure if they're gonna go full hero with chuck... Like he said to Jughead somebody has to play the villain... Abd maybe Josie us ok being walked all over as long as she gets an apology ( I assume for fear of being labeled an Angry Black Woman)  but I dunno maybe he's just biding his time... Also him and Veronica... They got the sparks 

Speaking of  "Mija" she got dressed down by Betty in front of all their friends (again)  and then spent time being sexy with archie and having eye sex with chuck... 

Well see y'all next week

• Love 4

My favourite part of the episode was the end when in the middle of a murder happening and everyone realized what was going on and running away Jughead called out Betty's name and rushed through the crowd to get to her! I just love moments like that. 

Midge did not deserve to be a murder victim. 

I do like parent/child interactions, but are the writers seriously going to act like Betty did not have a legit reason to be afraid of Chic and have Alice cry over Chic when not even considering how Betty as feeling? Why she even moved out? She did not went to live with her boyfriend just because she wanted to, she was running away because she was scared and she went to the person she feels the most safe with. I did not feel anything for Alice's character. It was heartbreaking that she gave her son away, but seriously. Pay attention to your daughter. 

Archie is starting to see Hiram's true colours now? There were nice scenes between Archie and Fred and choosing Fred's side and telling Hiram he can't come between them. What a change from previous episodes. 

Betty and Veronica. I understood why Betty felt a little betrayed with Veronica hiding how much she knew of Hiram's plans with the prison thing, Betty's words were a little too much! I appreciate Archie sticking up for Veronica, but the only flaw is that when Betty said those cruel words to Veronica during the BH storyline, the circumstances were different. Betty was not being a mean girl, she was emotionally tortured by a serial killer who forced her to cut ties with her best friend and threatening her. Let's not forget how cruel you were to Jughead, when Betty was forced to break  up with him and asked you "it doesn't have to be cruel." and guess what you did, Archiekins? Not a good comparism to make. 

Either way, I wish they did not have Betty being nasty to Veronica, even though I get her being a little upset. But it is also unfari, because Veronica is also being manipulated by her parents and is conflicted. Betty singing to Veronica to apologize was cute, I'll take it I guess. 

We had Cheryl apologizing to Josie. It was a pretty creepy plot, but alright.. Speaking of apologizes, Betty could have apologized to Chuck at the end when she had the chance.

Cheryl was really into playing Carrie and her taking away power from Penelope! Well, that woman is a horrible parent, so go Cheryl! 

Could have had more Cheryl/Toni. 

It was not a bad episode.

Edited by Ruby Red
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, Ruby Red said:

My favourite part of the episode was the end when in the middle of a murder happening and everyone realized what was going on and running away Jughead called out Betty's name and rushed through the crowd to get to her! I just love moments like that. 

Midge did not deserve to be a murder victim. 

I do like parent/child interactions, but are the writers seriously going to act like Betty did not have a legit reason to be afraid of Chic and have Alice cry over Chic when not even considering how Betty as feeling? Why she even moved out? She did not went to live with her boyfriend just because she wanted to, she was running away because she was scared and she went to the person she feels the most safe with. I did not feel anything for Alice's character. It was heartbreaking that she gave her son away, but seriously. Pay attention to your daughter. 

Archie is starting to see Hiram's true colours now? There were nice scenes between Archie and Fred and choosing Fred's side and telling Hiram he can't come between them. What a change from previous episodes. 

Betty and Veronica. I understood why Betty felt a little betrayed with Veronica hiding how much she knew of Hiram's plans with the prison thing, Betty's words were a little too much! I appreciate Archie sticking up for Veronica, but the only flaw is that when Betty said those cruel words to Veronica during the BH storyline, the circumstances were different. Betty was not being a mean girl, she was emotionally tortured by a serial killer who forced her to cut ties with her best friend and threatening her. Let's not forget how cruel you were to Jughead, when Betty was forced to break  up with him and asked you "it doesn't have to be cruel." and guess what you did? Not a good comparism to make. 

Either way, I wish they did not have Betty being nasty to Veronica, even though I get her being a little upset. But it is also unfari, because Veronica is also being manipulated by her parents and is conflicted. Betty singing to Veronica to apologize was cute, I'll take it I guess. 

We had Cheryl apologizing to Josie. It was a pretty creepy plot, but alright.. Speaking of apologizes, Betty could have apologized to Chuck at the end when she had the chance.

Cheryl was really into playing Carrie and her taking away power from Penelope! Well, that woman is a horrible parent, so go Cheryl! 

Could have had more Cheryl/Toni. 

It was not a bad episode.

I loved the moment at the end with Jughead calling out Bettys name too and rushing off to find her. 

This episode was pretty fun as I’ve said many times. And again.. I don’t get why they’re bringing back the Black Hood storyline. On one hand I get it, no one with half anything really believed that the random janitor was the Black Hood but it’s not a good storyline and either way the end result is probably going to be disappointing and make no sense again, I don’t get why they feel the need to bring it back.

I do love how a lot of the Southside Serpents have acclimated quite well to Riverdale at this point. I know the first episodes or two when they went to Riverdale High was not great but now a lot of them are joining the clubs and such at Riverdale. Fangs seemed to really be enjoying being Kevin’s assistant or whatever during the play. 

I do feel bad for Midge. It also makes me wonder about the Black Hood. I mean I know now after this episode, Ethel’s probably going to be our main suspect and as I said earlier I find this to be a red herring but I feel like next week she will probably be questioned, because Jughead found the cut up magazines and I don’t know, they did keep dropping hints about how she wanted to be Carrie and never got the chance to audition. And then the understudy part went to Midge. So she’s probably a suspect.

Again I’m saying it’s probably a red herring.

Yeah I don’t know how I feel about Alice and Betty (and Chic..). I want to feel for Alice but Chic is terrible and awful and Betty shouldn’t feel guilty for wanting him gone just so she can stay in her own home. She didn’t do anything wrong. Also Alice wasn’t making sense when she was saying things about how she and Betty have never been so apart.. seriously, why is season one existing as if it never happened? When we first met Betty and Alice, their relationship was not good at all. I’m also still confused about why Betty decided to call her dad to Come back home as if her parents have ever held a healthy marriage.

Am I the only one who noticed that at the end when everyone was running and screaming after discovering Midge's dead body, as Jughead's camera is frantically moving around among the panic Chic is just sat there calmly looking forward?

Also is it possible the janitor was the real BH and that there is now just a copycat? Not likely but just a thought.

28 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I’m also still confused about why Betty decided to call her dad to Come back home as if her parents have ever held a healthy marriage.

As far as we've seen on the show they haven't had a great relationship but you have to think that they were High School sweet hearts, they must of loved each other once to get married, it might be pretty bland now but they might still love each other deep down? And Betty will have seen the love they had throughout her childhood, plus I'm sure she wants her family back together.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Al D said:

Am I the only one who noticed that at the end when everyone was running and screaming after discovering Midge's dead body, as Jughead's camera is frantically moving around among the panic Chic is just sat there calmly looking forward?

Also is it possible the janitor was the real BH and that there is now just a copycat? Not likely but just a thought.

As far as we've seen on the show they haven't had a great relationship but you have to think that they were High School sweet hearts, they must of loved each other once to get married, it might be pretty bland now but they might still love each other deep down? And Betty will have seen the love they had throughout her childhood, plus I'm sure she wants her family back together.

Yeah, you may be right about what betty thinks.

Also the Chic being calm I didn’t see it until last night when RAS was posting stills of the shaking camera work on his Instagram.

I don’t believe the janitor was the real Black Hood for one second but you could be right. I have no idea what their endgame is with the Black Hood. Plus again I’m not sure what we are supposed to do with what they gave us last night and who it’s supposed to be.

14 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don’t believe the janitor was the real Black Hood for one second but you could be right. I have no idea what their endgame is with the Black Hood. Plus again I’m not sure what we are supposed to do with what they gave us last night and who it’s supposed to be.

They will more than likely give hints about it being quite a few different people and then not be any of them. Then they'll just chuck some random person, completely unrelated in and says it's them. That's what they did last time and I can't see them coming up with anything better this time round.

• Love 4