Type keyword(s) to search

Sell It Like Serhant - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thanks Mods for considering my request and starting this forum! 

I really like the premise of this show.  I'm sure that there's a lot of setup - in that the person won't be fired, but it will be interesting to see things from the perspective of the client, the boss, and from Ryan.  I thought he was spot-on with his advice for his first client (wine salesperson.)  I saw where that guy had an even bigger weekend of sales the following weekend after Ryan was there.  Given all of that client's personal issues, he probably needs to see a counselor, but I think what Ryan did for him helped him tremendously. 

• Love 7

New York waxing salon.  At least I think it's the only service they provide. 

99 dollars for unlimited monthly services?  It seems incredibly pricey, but I don't know New York rates.  I pay 20 for both lip and chin area every 3 weeks.  I suppose it's great if you were to go everywhere.

Yeah.  From experience, if you're afraid to wax people, you shouldn't do it.  You have to have a real zest for it.  Like those crazy people who want to pop strangers pimples. Otherwise?  You are going to cause intense pain.  Mariel doesn't have that gleam in her eye great waxers have.  My girl gets all giggly after she' waxed me. She gets a joy from the hair on the strip.  THAT'S the girl you want applying hot wax to your face and ripping it off.

Natalie, the "professional " is horrible.  She stops!  You don't stop!  One, quick fast pull.  I would never go to her after the first time.  Her flirting is obnoxious. I can't believe she's the top salesman.

No way could I talk to a man about a manzillion.  I'm as upfront about waxing as you can be, but no way.  I'd be giggling incoherently. 

Ryan does hit the marks about selling.  He's really supportive and the advice seems to be sound.

Not bad.  Not great.  Will watch again, but not must see tv.

• Love 2

I was hoping for something more/better (MoBetta as they say in Cajun country?) than what I've seen so far. I'm not sure what exactly this show is supposed to be capturing...Ryan's talent and expertise as a realtor? his quirky fun sense of humor? And why did he even agree to add this spin-off series to his already full plate? All his fiancee/wife did was complain about how Ryan never had time for her and now he added this to his plate? Makes no sense.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, dosodog said:

Ryan does hit the marks about selling.  He's really supportive and the advice seems to be sound.

I really enjoy watching Ryan in this show and in Million Dollar Listing.  He has come a long way since that first season of MDL, and he's a much more enjoyable person to watch now, IMO.  It's interesting to me to hear him talk about the key points in selling.  Like Mariel, I would shut down at the first objection.  In dentistry there's a certain amount of selling, but not because we're trying to sell somebody something they don't need, but we are trying to inform them of necessary treatment that is usually costly, but is necessary to the long-term health of their mouth.  We get objections too.   So besides getting to see Ryan do his thing, I'm learning a thing or two along the way that might just help me!

I couldn't wax people though.  Kudos to those who can do that line of work, but some things ick me out, and that's one of them.  I felt bad for Mariel in that she was so afraid to fail and have to go back home to her parents to live.  I really hope that she can overcome some of her obstacles and go on to eventually own her own salon.  I applaud her for her ambition.   The other sales lady needs to calm down though.  Coming on  to a married man is just rude.   I can tolerate a little bit of flirting, but damn, she was way too forward about wanting to get into Ryan's pants!  

• Love 5

I am enjoying this show more than expected. I was worried that there would be too much hamming it up for the cameras (ahem - wax lady).  Ryan is also an actor, but I can't help but like him. I am the total opposite of a sales person, so admire those who have the drive and personality to carry it off and be successful at it without coming off as too sleazy or pushy.

I loved the wine episode and the guy he was helping. Hope he continues to flourish.

• Love 4

It was interesting watching Ryan convince that male client to try waxing.  I don't know if that guy was a set-up, but if not, Ryan did a damn good job at selling something he knew very little about!  In helping me to understand the techniques of selling, I think this will help me when I'm on the buying side and to be more aware of how one can get roped into buying something you didn't really want.  ;)

I am the total opposite of a sales person, so admire those who have the drive and personality to carry it off and be successful at it without coming off as too sleazy or pushy.

IIRC, I think that was part of the wine guy's issue.  He didn't want to be seen as "sleazy."  Thing is, he was in a position where people were coming to him looking for advice on wine.  They taste it, they love it, so there's nothing wrong with getting people to feel good about said wine and tell them what a good deal it was to buy a membership.  That client needed to understand that it's not like he's been asked to go door-to-door selling his product.  People were coming to him!  They just needed a little push to take that step to buy a product they liked.   I'm not saying door-to-door sales people are sleazy, just that in this case, the potential sales were dumped right in his lap!  He just had to find a way to make them feel good and want to buy more than 1 bottle.

• Love 2

I really like this show as well! I feel like I’m learning stuff. Unfortunately I think a show like this is only good for one season; after that you get the phonies who are hamming it up for the camera. Like, the aggressively flirtatious wax lady would claim that she got no business just to be on the show.

• Love 3

I think this show is a good fit for Ryan. However, I'm not sure this show can go the distance with additional seasons. I'd be surprised if it did.

I worked retail for years. I was a sales associate at one point too. I hated everything about it. I'm not an introvert. I'm not shy. I didn't care for pitching. 

So far I didn't get much of an impression that the people Ryan helped out were naturally inclined toward sales. I understand that they love where they work, but I couldn't figure out why the bosses were keen on keeping them as salespeople. Some folks just aren't cut out for sales, no matter how much they try to succeed at it. 

The first one, Tim, seemed to be a certain shier personality. Also, his employer had him doing all sorts of jobs. Jobs that seemed more up Tim's alley than actually having to sell wine. He had that other salesman who is really good at selling. Couldn't he make Tim the office manager or chef and hire on a part-time wine sales associate?

Mariel seemed LA-style chill. I don't even understand why she chose to work at a waxing salon. Is it just that she wanted to become a franchisee? If she's so great at selling suits, then why not work at a men's store and move up to manager or become a franchisee of an established brand, or something along those lines?

Sure, Ryan helped these two in the short run, but in the long run, I'll be surprised if they don't revert back to the way they were. It's not as if Ryan's mentoring them for 6 months-a year. It sounds like he spends a few days (maybe a week?) with them. Sorry, but if someone's in sales and has been sucking at it for a long while, it's going to take longer than three days to get them out of the bad habits of freezing up, or walking into another room to complete a separate task.

I like the show, but I guess I'm a little confused by it. Are any of the people Ryan's helping desperate to become outstanding sales people, or did their bosses push them into that role, despite the fact that it doesn't mesh with their true personalities?

I'm still going to watch the rest of the season, but will take the individuals' progress with a grain of salt. I just don't think lasting change can happen that quickly in these scenarios.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Sorry, but if someone's in sales and has been sucking at it for a long while, it's going to take longer than three days to get them out of the bad habits of freezing up, or walking into another room to complete a separate task.

Maybe he is trying to get them over whatever hurdle they have, then they can go the distance from there, although some long-term mentoring would probably be helpful.  I do think the first guy needs some professional counseling, but Ryan's advice seemed to be the start he needed.  Mariel needs to overcome the objections from her clients, then overcome her anxiety about actual waxing.  I kept wondering why she didn't stay in sales with suits.  Sounded like she was really good at that.  Maybe this business offers her a better chance of having her own salon quicker.  She seemed to really have a need to prove herself to her family, so there's a lot of pressure right there.  Hopefully all of his clients will find success and gain the confidence they need.

• Love 3

I really like him too.  He was a bit of a jerk when he first appeared on MDL, but he mellowed out after awhile and became much more likeable.  If he were still like that, I probably wouldn't have been watching him on either show.   The developing relationship and mutual respect he has with Fredrik is so much more fun to watch than when they're being asses to each other!

I do wonder how Emilia handles his fame.  Ryan mentioned in this latest episode that women come on to him all the time, but he flashes his wedding ring and they back off.  I'm sure she's not too happy about those situations!  I surely hope that he never gives into the temptation.  I always hate it when one of my TV guys (Arnold Schwarzenegger, I'm looking at you!) cheats on their wife.  Pffttt! 

• Love 4

I grew to like Ryan too during MDL NY. 

But I have zero interest in this silly premise of a show. Almost seems like its beneath his dignity. And why is he doing this when he is making hug money in his real estate profession. 

I watched the second show last night (kitchen cabinets) (did not watch the first episode).  It makes me realize how cringey selling can be if you're not cut out for it . The guy keeps repeating the same pitch phrases and stories and they seem so canned after a while.  People might be turned off by that if it seems unnatural.  Ryan does have good tips, actually, that product knowledge is important.  It seems too obvious, however. 

Edited by GussieK
typos
  • Love 3

The mentees on this show are cringe worthy. Ryan needs to show someone who enjoys sales how to up their game. Someone who enjoys selling can sell anything. Product knowledge is important but the desire to sell has to be there.  A lot of it has to do with confidence in oneself and not necessarily in the product. It helps to have a product that you enjoy selling and believe in. The desire to gain product knowledge in that instance comes naturally. 

What is up with the companies who hire people for these positions? They don't want to pay someone with sales experience so they "take a chance" on these people with limited backgrounds and low self-esteem.

I like the premise of this show but it is hard to watch the mentees.

Oh, and Ryan plays to the cameras. It needs to stop. 

• Love 1

I finally got a chance to watch this latest episode.  I felt so bad for Frank and all that he's been through.  I can see where he just wasn't in the right mindset to have to learn about his product.  His whole world had been turned upside down.  I think Ryan's coaching helped him to get motivated again.  It just takes that one sale to make one's confidence soar!  We recently had some remodeling done (flooring/kitchen backsplash), and it helped to have a salesperson who knew the products.  We hadn't done this kind of remodel before so we were a bit overwhelmed with all of the new products out there.  Luckily the sales people that helped us out were able to steer us to the right products for our needs and budget.  I was cringing watching Frank struggle through answering the customer's questions.  I would walk away from someone not capable of telling me about their products.  

I checked on Bravotv.com to see how Frank's been doing, and 3 months after Ryan was there, his sales were up and he looked more confident.  I'm loving Ryan in this new role!  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Showthyme said:

The mentees on this show are cringe worthy. Ryan needs to show someone who enjoys sales how to up their game. Someone who enjoys selling can sell anything. Product knowledge is important but the desire to sell has to be there.  A lot of it has to do with confidence in oneself and not necessarily in the product. It helps to have a product that you enjoy selling and believe in. The desire to gain product knowledge in that instance comes naturally. 

What is up with the companies who hire people for these positions? They don't want to pay someone with sales experience so they "take a chance" on these people with limited backgrounds and low self-esteem.

You've succinctly described why this show kind of bugs me. I'd rather watch Ryan help a salesperson hone his or her sales techniques. But this kind of mentoring is only helpful if someone genuinely enjoys sales. 

So far, the mentees remind me of myself when I took my first (and last) sales job. I can easily interact with and cultivate friendships with others, but I HATED selling. I tried different ways to get through that job, but selling never felt natural. I think that's why I cringe when these people attempt to sell anything. It's not a natural thing for them. 

I'm glad that Ryan's help has boosted their confidence and ability to sell, but as I've said before, I don't see this confidence lasting in the long run. It's not my impression the mentees really like what they're selling. Maybe if they choose a business that sells products they like and use, or they shoot for a sales job in an industry more suitable to their speed and interest level. 

Ryan lives and breathes real estate. That's why he's a phenomenal broker. His acting background enables him to know how to read others, in order to successfully sell to them. Plus it provided an easy segue into doing a show that covers what he loves to do: real estate. MDLNY helped Ryan build his brand.

Edited by Surrealist
15 hours ago, Surrealist said:

It's not my impression the mentees really like what they're selling. Maybe if they choose a business that sells products they like and use, or they shoot for a sales job in an industry more suitable to their speed and interest level. 

The ones Ryan has mentored so far have expressed the desire to succeed in their current job.  Frank was like a duck out of water since he left the restaurant business, but since he indicated that he couldn't go back to that at this time, his back was up against the wall.  I think that once he learned the product and got comfortable with it, he seemed to enjoy helping people pick out their kitchens, etc.  The footage of Frank 3 months later shows him joking with his friend from the cabinet store.   I think the people he's helped so far do seem to enjoy interacting with people.  They just needed a boost on how to bring their particular strengths to their respective businesses.  

I can understand why Frank didn't want to go back to the restaurant business, so working alongside his friend (who was more concerned about his mental well-being since the death of his wife) might be what he needs to do until he can get out of the dark place he said he's in.   Who knows, he might end up back in the restaurant business, but I'm glad that he was able to redeem himself in the cabinet store.  He really didn't need the stress of getting fired.  His emotional state seemed so fragile at that time. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

The ones Ryan has mentored so far have expressed the desire to succeed in their current job.  Frank was like a duck out of water since he left the restaurant business, but since he indicated that he couldn't go back to that at this time, his back was up against the wall.  I think that once he learned the product and got comfortable with it, he seemed to enjoy helping people pick out their kitchens, etc.  The footage of Frank 3 months later shows him joking with his friend from the cabinet store.   I think the people he's helped so far do seem to enjoy interacting with people.  They just needed a boost on how to bring their particular strengths to their respective businesses.  

I can understand why Frank didn't want to go back to the restaurant business, so working alongside his friend (who was more concerned about his mental well-being since the death of his wife) might be what he needs to do until he can get out of the dark place he said he's in.   Who knows, he might end up back in the restaurant business, but I'm glad that he was able to redeem himself in the cabinet store.  He really didn't need the stress of getting fired.  His emotional state seemed so fragile at that time. 

I know what you're saying. I was thinking more about the young woman who couldn't make sales at the waxing salon, but apparently was an outstanding salesperson at a men's suit store. Even her boyfriend mentioned this fact.  I understand that she's hoping to run her own franchise, but surely one exists that deals in men's clothing, which she was apparently good at and enjoyed selling. She came across as really awkward addressing issues pertaining to waxing. I guess that's what confused me.

I'm not even sure I could keep a straight face if a guy said he was looking to have his testicles waxed. LOL.

Edited by Surrealist
36 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

She came across as really awkward addressing issues pertaining to waxing. I guess that's what confused me.

Yeah, I thought that she should go back to selling men's suits.  It's one thing to have to learn about a new product, but with waxing, if you can't stomach it, then you're definitely in the wrong business!  I understand that she wants to be on a fast track with the salon, but she might just need to be patient and see where her old job would lead to.

Kudos to those who can do waxing, but I know I couldn't!   Of course if the male client was a jerk, then pulling that wax off of him and making him squirm might put a smile on my face!   

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

Yeah, I thought that she should go back to selling men's suits.  It's one thing to have to learn about a new product, but with waxing, if you can't stomach it, then you're definitely in the wrong business!  I understand that she wants to be on a fast track with the salon, but she might just need to be patient and see where her old job would lead to.

Kudos to those who can do waxing, but I know I couldn't!   Of course if the male client was a jerk, then pulling that wax off of him and making him squirm might put a smile on my face!   

She has the right people attitude. For sure. Obviously being a people person doesn't always translate into being a great salesperson. I wish she had stayed the course in menswear because if she had sought Ryan's help in getting better so that she could eventually branch out on her own, then that would have been a great episode. I think, with her too, she feels a lot of pressure from her parents because they're successful. I felt bad for her because, clearly, she's trying to live up to their ideal. I think that's screwing with her head.

Regarding the second half of your response? I love how you think. Ripping wax off some jerk's crotch might be worth the mild embarrassment I'd feel waxing someone else in the first place.

• Love 1

I like this show. Frank, the cabinet salesman, is adorable. I think he will do well. Of course product knowledge is important so I'm glad he got up to speed with that. I can see how pricing would be super difficult to do on the spot. Frank has it rough right now because it is hard to focus on types of wood veneers when he is processing so much grief. However, if he wants to continue in sales, at least he is selling something people want. I mean they are walking into that store for a reason -- they need cabinets or countertops. He can feel good that he is helping them get exactly what they need and want. He isn't cold calling, trying to sell somebody crap they don't need. The waxing salon girl was so uncomfortable, I wondered how she ended up in that business.

What really gets to me is when Ryan sees what is holding these people back. When Ryan saw the waxing salon girl's fear of failing and disappointing her parents, and when he found out about Frank's wife dying of leukemia, Ryan's eyes got watery. He seems to actually care, and realizes what some people are dealing with in their lives beyond the salesfloor. I adore a man who has a heart.

• Love 8
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:03 AM, GoldaVining said:

He seems to actually care, and realizes what some people are dealing with in their lives beyond the salesfloor. I adore a man who has a heart.

That's what I like about him too.  With this latest episode (Amanda/hot tub sales) he went to her house to see how she lives and to fully understand what she's experiencing everyday on the home front.  It was cute how he was going through the closet with Amanda's daughter.  Amanda had the knowledge of the product, but she simply could not make small talk or engage people.  IMO, that's a skill that takes time to hone, but it looks like Ryan and the vocal coach have pointed her in the right direction.  Ryan told her that she has to keep practicing the vocal lessons.  I went to the Bravotv.com website, but I didn't see a post-Ryan's visit help like the other ones have done.  I hope she's still doing well.  They said at the end of the show that her sales had increased quite a bit, so hopefully she's found her rhythm with people. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Anyone know how the ratings are going for this show?

I'm with all who enjoy it.  Ryan started out in NYC as a wannabe actor.  Could be he's acting much of the time, but I do think he's a compassionate person.

I also think that Ryan is a goal-driven person and is approaching this process in much the same way he does selling real estate.  He has to successfully sell the people he is trying to help on change.  A "win" is a "win" and I think he finds great reward in closing deals - people or real estate.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Jextella said:

Anyone know how the ratings are going for this show?

I haven't been able to find anything on the ratings.  

7 hours ago, Jextella said:

A "win" is a "win" and I think he finds great reward in closing deals - people or real estate.

It makes me feel good for these people when they get a win!  It's like rooting for your sports team.   I'd like to see Ryan tackle a problem in which the person is having to sell something that the public might not necessarily be in the market for, but you've got to win them over with some new product or something.  So far we've seen sales people who seem to work for businesses that have plenty of customers wanting their product.  I'd like to see how you sell something where you'll be overcoming a lot of objections.  That would be a challenge.  

• Love 1

I like this show’s concept but I think some of the people they cast are not very sympathetic which drags down the show. Or it hasn’t been edited well enough to invoke sympathy. I wanted the two men in the show to succeed but for the two women, I felt they were just in the wrong line of work and that made me very disinterested in the episodes as they went on. Next episode looks like more of the same. I think scouting is a big issue with this show.

• Love 2
(edited)

I enjoyed last night's episode because Erick, the guy seeking Ryan's help, is involved in real estate and seems to love the job. 

I think it sucked his grandmother and uncle are suffering from Alzheimer's. One of my grandmothers had it, so I know the stress involved.

Anyway, I kind of wondered why he'd stick with working as an apartment broker. I get that Erick started with the company, but don't real estate sales brokers make better commissions? I would think he'd want to make more money. Then again, I don't even know what apartment brokers make. Maybe they do well? 

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I enjoyed last night's episode because Erick, the guy seeking Ryan's help, is involved in real estate and seems to love the job. 

I think it sucked his grandmother and uncle are suffering from Alzheimer's. One of my grandmothers had it, so I know the stress involved.

Anyway, I kind of wondered why he'd stick with working as an apartment broker. I get that Erick started with the company, but don't real estate sales brokers make better commissions? I would think he'd want to make more money. Then again, I don't even know what apartment brokers make. Maybe they do well? 

I didn't watch the entire episode.  The boy/man man-buns and ponytails were too much for me.   They'll see how silly they look in their 30's I suppose.

Agreed, though, that it seems non-college dorm stuff would be more lucrative.  Then again, it's so competitive and the company seems to serve a niche demand.  Who knows.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jextella said:

I didn't watch the entire episode.  The boy/man man-buns and ponytails were too much for me.  They'll see how silly they look in their 30's I suppose.

That guy drove me nuts. I thought he was a bit aggressive in his approach.

Plus man-buns annoy me. I want to tear those off. 

I don't understand why he was being so aggressive with the female client, especially. He was so pushy from the start. His commission for her renting an apartment was going to come no matter which apartment she chose, right? Unless it was truly just a time issue and he was trying to get home immediately. While his style wasn't my favorite, it was still head and shoulders above man-bun Collin who seemed incredibly slimy to me.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:34 AM, Suck It Trebek said:

Unless it was truly just a time issue and he was trying to get home immediately.

I think that's what his main issue was.  He always had it in the back of his mind how long his commute was going to be, but in real estate, you've got to be available pretty much 24/7 for clients.  I truly understand that he wanted to help his Mom out, but she seemed excited when he talked about moving back to the city.  Sounded like he really couldn't be of that much help when he was home since he got in so late.  Maybe now he can make time on a Saturday or Sunday to go home and spend the day.  

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:24 AM, Surrealist said:

I get that Erick started with the company, but don't real estate sales brokers make better commissions? I would think he'd want to make more money. Then again, I don't even know what apartment brokers make.

I don't know what  kind of commission he makes, but he seems to like this part of the market, especially since this was a start-up business.  Like Ryan, he can always work his way into other aspects of the real estate profession if he wants to.  As young as Erick is, I think he enjoyed working with and partying with his young clients!  Living in the city seems to suit him.  I checked on the Bravotv.com site to see how Erick's doing and he did a short video 2 months from when Ryan was there and he is doing very well.  The city is where he needed to be for this particular career.  He showed a quick shot of the view out of - what he said, was his "new apartment" with a fantastic view (upper floor.)  I'm wondering if he moved out of the one that Ryan got for him, or if this is the same one.  Either way, it looked nice.   He said he's doing so well that Collin won't be able to do better than him in rentals.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 1

I'm liking this show, but I'm sure that the premise is going to wear thin after one season.  I applaud Ryan's effort though.  I think he had a good idea in trying to help people.  I'll continue to watch the show. 

• Love 3

Another enjoyable episode tonight.  I really like how Ryan balances criticism with praise.  He's a good cheerleader for the underdog.  I like how he shows people that they need to embrace being positive about themselves.

On a shallow note, the pin striped suit was probably my least favorite but whatever.  And that hair needed some serious fixing.

• Love 2

As I have never ever felt that I could even sell a lifesaver to a drowning man, I watch this show with a mixture of apprehension, terror, hope and gratitude for Ryan and his desire to help others develop their chops. 

I like the show very much but really hope it doesn’t have a second season, for the reasons mentioned in various posts, above. 

Til then, I’ll watch it happily. It’s a very nice change-up from the overload of reality shows that feature people who are paid to spat with each other!

• Love 3
21 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I really like how Ryan balances criticism with praise.  He's a good cheerleader for the underdog.  I like how he shows people that they need to embrace being positive about themselves.

I like how he realizes that there's usually a personal reason (rather than just the professional issues) as to why someone isn't doing well in their job.  There's not many men out there who care or would take the time to help someone figure out why they're sabotaging themselves on the job.  Ryan's initial struggle in his profession has served him well in regards to helping others, and at the end of the day, isn't that what life is all about?  It's kind of a pay it forward concept with the info he's acquired along the way.  

I liked Lisa and felt bad for her when she told Ryan that she's afraid of rejection.  A person can lose all self-esteem after losing a spouse to another person.  It's quite devastating.  I'm glad that Ryan tapped into her "Mom" power and made her see what a fantastic person she is.  I hope she is continuing to do well.  There's not an update yet on the BravoTV.com site with her story, but hopefully they'll put one on there soon.  

• Love 1

I really like this show, but I do dread it being renewed for season 2. Because everything will just be ramped up. The clients will be even more crazy or delusional, will have bigger problems, the exercises will be even more over the top. I'd be great if they were able to tweak the formula a bit. If it's been successful I'd love to see some people outside the NYC/NE area. I'm sure the first season budget limited the locations.

2 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

I'd be great if they were able to tweak the formula a bit. If it's been successful I'd love to see some people outside the NYC/NE area. I'm sure the first season budget limited the locations.

I agree.  I think they're going to have to change it up a bit in order to keep viewers.  I like it, but I can see where it's going to get stale quickly if they don't get creative with new ideas.

Watched the final episode and I was so touched at the end by how Ryan was visibly because he was so happy with how the client was able to turn her life around.  Of course it helped that she had someone close to her who believed in her and offered encouragement.   The store isn't terribly far from where I live so I  just might drive over there one of these days to check it out.

• Love 2

I like this show, but I hate it too because it shows something very sad about America. 

I think most of these people shouldn't be selling anything at all, but the factory and manufacturing jobs are no more.  America is a nation of consumers, not producers.  There was a time when a person could get a manufacturing job, work for years, get a pension and be okay.  That America is no more and this show really shines a light on that, very sad.

• Love 3

Ryan seems very intuitive with all of his clients, and he seems to be able to relate to them in different ways.  It's not as if he moved to NYC and was an overnight success.  He had personal issues to deal with, much like the clients on this show.  That's what makes me like him.  He hasn't forgotten his early struggles, so he can truly relate to most people.  I think that Jen could use some professional counseling though.  Even Ryan said that he's not a therapist, but was trying to help her in the best way that he could.  Even if it's baby steps for her, at least Ryan got her heading in a more positive direction, and her boyfriend's Mom was super nice to her.  She needs that support right now. 

I was baffled by the description on DirecTV for this latest episode.  It said that Ryan was helping somebody sell scrubs and lotions.  As someone who wears scrubs everyday, lotion is not something you normally find at a scrubs store, so I was glad to see that this wasn't about scrubs, but about Scrubz lotion!  

If you go to that store, Koalagirl, let us know what you think.  If I could go there, I'd definitely buy some of their products!  

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think most of these people shouldn't be selling anything at all, but the factory and manufacturing jobs are no more. 

This is how I felt after watching the first, then the second episode. I don't think most of these people are natural sellers. And really, that's OK. They all seemed like good people. A couple of them might benefit from some sort of counseling or maybe the services of a life coach.

I was a sales associate earlier in my life. I can talk a person's ear off, but I hate selling anything too. I don't think people should try to force themselves into playing a role that differs too much from their actual personalities and natural abilities. That's never really a good long-term strategy. 

Edited by Surrealist

I watched the waxing episode with Mariel after it was "attached" by my DVR to MDLNY.  I really don't understand why she felt she had to stay with the waxing company.  Why does she want to own a salon?  If she was so good in selling clothing, maybe she should have stayed in that niche.  Waxing is entirely different.  

Natalie, the top salesperson, is offensive.  If she was a man and the prospective customer was a woman, that would be borderline sexual harassment.  If not flat out harassment.  

And girl can't wax for shit.  You don't pull it off in pieces or slowly.  No wonder Ryan's arm hurt.  You yank it off quickly and in one piece.  If waxers I have used in the past did that "technique" on me for bikini waxes/Brazilians, I'd throat punch them.  And would never go back.

I like that Ryan seems genuinely invested in helping these folks.

• Love 2