Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Feng Shui & The Golden Nook

1 hour ago, Wings said:

I would choose Gens room over Verns in a heartbeat. 

Definitely one of Gen's better rooms, and one of the very, very few times where I would choose anyone's room over Vern's.  I wish the camera had focused on Vern's finished alcove, because that looked pretty nice, but I found the overall room confusing, feng shui notwithstanding.  Did he really spend $150 on those yarn lights?  And as for claiming they'd be $3K, they look like every light fixture at Pier One and World Market.

I know there's been a little bit of inflation over the years, but things don't cost double now what they did in the early 2000s, so the $2K has to be stretching further than the $1K ever did.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Did he really spend $150 on those yarn lights?  And as for claiming they'd be $3K, they look like every light fixture at Pier One and World Market.

I know there's been a little bit of inflation over the years, but things don't cost double now what they did in the early 2000s, so the $2K has to be stretching further than the $1K ever did.  

Did he say they were $150? I did a little googling (mentioned in a previous comment) and yeah, they could be found for $3K (the highest I found was actually about $2400 but I only looked at the first page of results), but you can find similar for a lot less. Even inexpensive enough for this show. I have a feeling it was just to have an art project for them to do.

I wonder what the actual light fixtures cost. The yarn looked like just regular yarn; no idea how many skeins it took but I can't imagine they were that much per skein. A couple bottles of fabric stiffener (which looks to be about $6-8 for a 16 ounce bottle)... Exercise balls I found for about $12 and up online (not counting sale prices), though since the balls weren't actually part of the design and reusable I wonder if they counted in the budget. He might have already had them. Personally I thought the finished lights looked more like something that belonged at a nice outdoor party, hanging under a tent or something. 

22 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Definitely one of Gen's better rooms, and one of the very, very few times where I would choose anyone's room over Vern's.  I wish the camera had focused on Vern's finished alcove, because that looked pretty nice, but I found the overall room confusing, feng shui notwithstanding.  Did he really spend $150 on those yarn lights?  And as for claiming they'd be $3K, they look like every light fixture at Pier One and World Market.

Gen had one or two design shows after TS ended.  I went on HGTV to see if they had pics, they did not.  I tried to watch an episode that didn't work either.  I liked most of her work and loved many rooms.  As she said at the reunion she was 25 when TS started.  

I like her mix of north west rustic and contemporary.  I think we are doing to see some good rooms from Gen. 

Not fond of Vern's room.  I didn't like the new hardware on the furniture; I think it looked bad.  They probably thought they could just put the old ones back on but Vern drilled the holes bigger so some effort was involved in changing them back.  I suspect they removed the MDF "tables" over the chest, too.  Vern said they were to slide over the trunk to make a coffee table.  They are way too high for that aside from being ugly. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Wings said:

I didn't like the new hardware on the furniture; I think it looked bad.  

Yeah, I didn't like the silver on the dark wood, or the shape of the handles. I know he was going for a match with the silver on the walls but I think a gold or bronze would look better against the wood (which, IIRC, the original hardware was in that color family).

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, I didn't like the silver on the dark wood, or the shape of the handles. I know he was going for a match with the silver on the walls but I think a gold or bronze would look better against the wood (which, IIRC, the original hardware was in that color family).

There must have been other silver options.  Those handles are too industrial for that traditional chest.  I have seen them used in kitchens and that makes sense. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Wings said:

There must have been other silver options.  Those handles are too industrial for that traditional chest.  I have seen them used in kitchens and that makes sense. 

Maybe something smaller, in a less shiny-chrome-like finish would have been better. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Maybe something smaller, in a less shiny-chrome-like finish would have been better. 

His modern self got caught up in those handles.  The same style they have but silver would have been better.

19 minutes ago, Christi said:

I will never admit (outloud) that I dont like one of Vern's rooms!!! 

Ha!  He had the best rooms on the old TS most of the time but not all.   I didn't like this room in comparison to Gen's but had Doug gotten the other room who knows.  It is hard not to compare very similar spaces.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1

Nope...not all...but I just love him!! Ok...and my crush on Doug is stronger than ever...but I have no problem admitting I dont like his rooms!

I actually have always thought he was gay, until I did some googling last week..being the pathetic stalker that I am.  Turns out he has been married to the same woman for like 20 years!! Goddammmit! All the years we have wasted Doug!? 

I think Gen has improved...some (a lot) of her rooms used to give Hildi's a run for her money.  Gen also used to be borderline costume/set design...IMHO?

Edited by Christi
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Out of curiosity I googled "large yarn globe lights" and clicked on "shopping" and found similar-looking items ranging anywhere from 12 to 2,387 bucks...

Yes people might not like them but big globe lights of various materials including string are pretty on trend right now.

I didn’t mind the lights.  A large room with a high ceiling needs a big light fixture as a piece of art.

• Love 3

The only part of this episode that I didn't care for was the daughter-in-law (and everyone else) talking about how she might be kicked out of the family if the parents didn't like their room.  That was so weird and over the top (and constant!) that I wondered if production had nudged them to do it, especially since the mother-in-law then had only nice things to say about the daughter-in-law and what a great mom she is and how she takes care of things when her son was traveling for work.  

• Love 10

I was kind of surprised the dressers in the parents room was new because I really didn’t know you could still buy furniture with those awful pulls.  The country farmhouse pulls were much better but I don’t really like those either, I would have gone with a standard fancy pull.  However, maybe my idea would be too expensive as nicer pulls are over $5 each and they needed a lot of them.

I watched some of Gen’s other shows and I think she has an aesthetic that is pretty in style right now.  On the first TS some of her things like the copper wall were out there but these days that is the stuff of high end design. 

Edited by fountain
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

They were shiny brass or semi-shiny brass (something much brighter than antique brass, but I can't remember any more specifically than that), and I found them godawful ugly, so while the new ones are not something I'd have picked either, I thought they looked better than what was there before.

• Love 3

I wonder what the actual light fixtures cost.

You can buy the make-your-own-lamp kits (the socket/cord/hardware) for under 20 bucks each, but the ones for swag and hanging lamps might cost more.  Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the most expensive part of Vern's lamps were the bulbs, but that's because I find decent light bulbs - especially the globes -  to be aggravatingly expensive.  I thought that Vern had said that the cost of the three lights together was 150 bucks, which sounded reasonable for the yarn, kits, bulbs, etc.  But if they were 150 each, that sounds a bit steep.

I loved Vern's room!!  The photos with the silver leaf behind them, the bed and especially the bedding (I love birds!), and even the big, white globe lights...although I think those would have been better in a more natural, jute-like color.  I did not like the hardware on the dresser (wish it had been smaller and more subdued, color wise), and I think the tables over the chest were too modern and too tall.  Aside from that, I liked it all.

Gen's room was also great, but I think the alcove is still a wasted space.  I do love my needlework and my books, so if I had a room like that I'd want that space for those things...not an uncomfortable looking bench and a handful of pillows.  But since she was already over budget, I suppose she didn't have money for anything like that.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I love how the commercial played up where the mom said "that's bad feng shui" and Gen just looking at her and made it seem all ominous like mom was gonna turn out to be some kooky new agey nut who would fight everything because it was bad mojo. But no, it was just, don't put the mirror there and the next second they were all laughing (I also noticed on second watching that the mirror ended up on the wall above the bed, so they wouldn't be able to see it from the bed).

I thought it was also bad feng shui to have a mirror on any outside wall to the home. Supposedly it serves as a door to let bad spirits into the house. I'll admit my feng shui knowledge is extremely limited though, so I could be wrong!

20 minutes ago, TigerLily20 said:

So bummed I missed this episode, I am wondering when they will rerun them....I miss Vern

You can probably watch it on the TLC site.  

22 minutes ago, TigerLily20 said:

So bummed I missed this episode, I am wondering when they will rerun them....I miss Vern

Last week's episode was repeat in the time slot immediately before this new one, so this episode will probably repeat right before next week's new episode.  And maybe randomly during the week; they did that a lot with the first episode and reunion.  Check the TLC website.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Christi said:

Nope...not all...but I just love him!! Ok...and my crush on Doug is stronger than ever...but I have no problem admitting I dont like his rooms!

I actually have always thought he was gay, until I did some googling last week..being the pathetic stalker that I am.  Turns out he has been married to the same woman for like 20 years!! Goddammmit! All the years we have wasted Doug!? 

I think Gen has improved...some (a lot) of her rooms used to give Hildi's a run for her money.  Gen also used to be borderline costume/set design...IMHO?

I agree. Especially about Doug.

• Love 1

OMG This is the show I want to watch week after week. Designers that listen to what the homeowners want. Fun families who understand how the show works and are up for most anything, especially getting into the spirit and having a blast. Seriously. I want to hang out with this family. They seem awesome! Everyone was having such fun that I had fun watching. Yes, I cried at the parents room reveal. The mom just seemed so unbelievably touched by the room. That was lovely. Great episode all around. Even Paige's hair looked better. lol 

As for the rooms...

Loved Gen's bed. Loved the whole room really, but the bed was the stand out for me. 

Loved the photos Vern had on the wall. OMG I LOVE THEM!!!! The only thing I didn't care for in his room was the dressers with the new handles. The handles didn't quite fit the style of the dresser and made them look cheap to me. I think they needed to paint the dressers to make those handles work, but I understand why they didn't. I just didn't like those handles with a traditional wood dresser. Would have looked better on a black painted dresser or white. 

I wouldn't mind trying that string art thing on a much smaller scale. Liked Gen's wallpaper once it was up more than I thought I would. Loved the tip about using the brass door plates to save money. And Loved Vern's idea of the silver leaf behind the very beautiful personal photos. It looked like a gallery. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TigerLily20 said:

TVGuide.com lists an "enhanced episode" on Saturday at 7pm (Eastern).

Edited by ams1001

I think they're trying too hard this time around to make interesting TV.  The teams, carpenters and designers have less than 48 hours to get everything done so it makes little sense for them to be doing goofy stuff like the scene in the school bus.  What was a school bus doing there anyway?  Probably to transport all the crew members who actually did most of the work.  And why was Gen in the kitchen making lunch instead of calling Subway or Domino's and using the time to be helpful?

I liked both rooms with a few reservations.  Unlike most people apparently, I didn't like the giant photos in Vern's room.  That kind of thing always looks narcissistic to me even though I realize the couple didn't make that decision.  I also didn't like the industrial look of the dresser handles with that furniture.  In Gen's room, I thought the alcove ended up being wasted space - nice to look at but not really functional.  If I were doing that area for myself, I'd have floor to ceiling bookshelves and a pleasant place to read and a small computer desk.

Paige makes me nuts.  I don't know how anyone can stand being around her for more than a few minutes.

I liked both rooms and felt that both Vern and Gen spent the 2k. Those were big rooms. I liked Gen’s a bit more but she’s always been my favorite. Vern’s was really great too, he’s so precise and thoughtful  but his colors tend to be very cool (lots of silver) And I  prefer warmer colors. 

This episode really highlighted for me what seasoned creative designers can do. When you compare these rooms  with Hildi /Doug week 1 with small rooms, it doesn’t seem like the same amount of money at all.  Doug’s wasn’t awful but if you told me that was 1k I’d believe it. And hildi? Any “luxe” she got from the fabric she ruined with the egg pull. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, mlp said:

Paige makes me nuts.  I don't know how anyone can stand being around her for more than a few minutes.

I can't explain it why it bothers me so much this time around - maybe watching all the reruns and seeing how Doug and/or Hildi actively disregarded homeowner's wishes - but the scene in Vern's room when the son and daughter-in-law were explaining to Vern what the parents wanted and didn't want (the mom didn't want the bed touched because she had just bought it, or something) irritated me when Paige literally bounced into the room and said something to the effect of "It doesn't matter what they want, what do YOU want to do?" I don't know, Paige, but the people getting the room are his parents so THEIR SON probably cares a little bit about what they want.

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was annoyed when the son was describing what his mom would like to see in her room, and Paige was like, "No! What do you want in here?!" I'd have said, "I want something that the people who actually live here would want." (That's partly why I like Vern so much. I saw an older episode the other night where the room was so not his style but was perfect for the homeowners. Surprisingly enough, the other designer was Hildi and she did the same thing.)

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 1

I had forgotten about the photos in Vern’s room, hated them!   No one wants photos of themselves on any wall.  I didn’t like anything in his room. 

Producers control all the action.  Paige is told where to go, when and what to say.  I think she does a good job.  

I liked Vern's room.  The only small criticism I had was that there really wasn't much room for that chest/table and chairs at the foot of the bed.  I looked fairly crowded.  If the room was about three feet longer it would have been fine.  I do agree about the furniture hardware, the handles looked liked oversized bottle cap openers.  Gen'r room was very pretty, not my taste but a nice job.

Really really like both designers this week.  I didn't really like the colors in Vern's room...but that is just my personal taste..the bedspread/comforter was pretty.  I hated the lights...why not just go for a pretty chandelier?  I guess they had to have three lights..maybe plugs/sockets and all?  I was surprised that they took out the bed that the homeowner apparently loved; but I liked the upholstered headboard a lot more; wish they had painted the nightstands instead of just changing the hardware...which was terrible.  And I didn't get the trunk/table over it.  Maybe move the trunk to the reading nook with a chair?  I remember seeing a chair (albeit a really uncomfortable-looking one) in the Overstock tent.  On a personal note, I would hate to look at pictures of myself and Mr. Kemper hanging on a bedroom wall; any wall for that matter.  But I liked the silver in back of them.

Liked Gen's room; didn't like the gold wallpaper.  Maybe one wall would have been much better; I, too, would use it as a nook for reading; but I loved the carpentry they put around it.  The bench was not practical; but fit the space. Vern and Gen are always cheerful and nice...not a lot of drama, hostility or bitchiness.  As in ... cough, cough...Hildy and Doug.

10 hours ago, Refresh said:

This episode really highlighted for me what seasoned creative designers can do. When you compare these rooms  with Hildi /Doug week 1 with small rooms, it doesn’t seem like the same amount of money at all.  Doug’s wasn’t awful but if you told me that was 1k I’d believe it. And hildi? Any “luxe” she got from the fabric she ruined with the egg pull. 

That's a great point. Gen and Vern had to fill twice as much space with the same budget and both their rooms looked professional and well put together while Doug's wasn't that bad, Hildi's looked pretty cheap and really amateurish. It really does go to show what designers more concerned with making their clients happy can do verses designers more concerned with making "Good TV"

• Love 3
10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

irritated me when Paige literally bounced into the room and said something to the effect of "It doesn't matter what they want, what do YOU want to do?" I don't know, Paige, but the people getting the room are his parents so THEIR SON probably cares a little bit about what they want.

OMG I shouted at her "They want to give the parents their dream bedroom you moron!" I've always hated when she would push the ones doing the work to do what they want, not what the actual people who have to live in the room want. Because these people are friends, or family and what they want is to make their friends or family happy. I much prefer that on this show. I don't want to see people sabotaging each others rooms or disregarding their friends wishes. Stop trying to make this show unnecessarily dramatic. Make it warm and feel goody with some good design ideas and happy reveals.

• Love 4

The silver hardware would have looked okay if the furniture were black or white.  The pulls were the only thing that I didn't like about his room. 

The thing that struck me as Vern was explaining Feng Shui is that I think it's the basis for all of his design in a way - especially when he talks about how the room should reflect the people who live in it.

59 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

OMG I shouted at her "They want to give the parents their dream bedroom you moron!" I've always hated when she would push the ones doing the work to do what they want, not what the actual people who have to live in the room want. Because these people are friends, or family and what they want is to make their friends or family happy. I much prefer that on this show. I don't want to see people sabotaging each others rooms or disregarding their friends wishes. Stop trying to make this show unnecessarily dramatic. Make it warm and feel goody with some good design ideas and happy reveals.

In Paige’s defense, it is production that tells her to say this.  This has been going on since season one.  The designers often say this as well.   It is stupid since the designers come with the plan and suppplies purchased.  It annoys me that they did not eliminate the pretense of the HOs having a say in anything.  

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Wings said:

In Paige’s defense, it is production that tells her to say this.  This has been going on since season one.  The designers often say this as well.   It is stupid since the designers come with the plan and suppplies purchased.  It annoys me that they did not eliminate the pretense of the HOs having a say in anything.  

That is what I thought and still think that, but she was even giving the air that she had more say in the actual production of the show on the reunion episdoes. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

That is what I thought and still think that, but she was even giving the air that she had more say in the actual production of the show on the reunion episodes. 

She said HOs and designers do all of the work in less than 48 hrs, too and that is not true.  Below are posts from the Carpenter episode.  So who knows what is true!  :^)

ON 4/15/2018 AT 8:20 AM, AMS1001 SAID:

I read an old article last week about the behind-the-scenes (I think someone posted it on either the reunion part 1 thread or last week's episode thread) and it mentioned a sewing coordinator (in a scene where the designer was showing one of the homeowners how to sew a pillow, apparently there wasn't actually any thread in the machine; most of it was done by someone else) and a second carpenter who didn't appear on camera (they quoted Amy Wynn Pastor saying something about feeling bad about taking credit for another person's work when they pretended she did it all herself). It also mentioned crew members helping to paint and stuff - including Doug, who they said did a lot of work when the cameras were off, despite his jokingly lounging around with a drink while the homeowners worked, so maybe he's not quite as much of a jerk as he sometimes comes across. (The episode the writer was at was the one with his blue and white bedroom.) So there's lots of behind-the-scenes help. What with all their various extra art projects and such, I can't imagine they'd get anywhere close to finishing the rooms in the time they have without it. If they asked me to sew pillows, it would take me forever and they probably wouldn't look great, because I don't sew. (And if they asked me to blow out five dozen eggs, I'd tell them they're nuts, because ew.)

My reply to this post. 

This is very interesting given that Paige had just said the HOs and designer did all the work themselves with no helpers, in the previous hour!!  

I am all for the helpers and I wish they would just openly admit that.  My husband and I built our own house in the 70s, all of it (2 and 1/2 stories) including wiring and plumbing.  I sewed all  the curtains and pillow covers over the years, and there were many changes in decor.  I painted the wall to change color very often, too.  I have never been under the illusion that 3 people plus one carpenter could do a room in less than 48 hours as was said in the previous hour!  It is insulting to viewers when you think about it.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 4

I thought both rooms were pretty.  I would change things about either of them but could make either one livable.  I do still like Vern - he is my favorite designer style wise (Frank is my favorite personality wise).   Gen's room was one of her better efforts.  But her giggling and innuendos weren't cute or clever.   They just made her seem silly.   I get that she is a free spirit or whatever but it seemed like she was trying a little too hard .  Like she was playing a persona instead of being herself.

• Love 3

Although I did like the larger portion of the bedroom that Gen designed, I didn't like the alcove at all.  The scalloped edge around the entrance to the alcove made it look like a completely different room and design.  So, it was more like two distinctly different rooms within one large space.  The design of the alcove also felt busy and a bit claustrophobic to me.  I often find that her designs lean towards the chaotic or have a disconnect within them.  I understand that I am in the minority about this room as it really seems that others really loved it.  

At times it feels like Vern over-designs some of his rooms, and the table ends that he put over the old chest and the bright silver handles exemplify the idea that just a bit of editing would help.  I know that the designers are encouraged to have a craft and/or art project for the room, but wrapping string around an exercise ball just seems like an extreme time-waster.

I was surprised that there was an Overstock. com room instead of a Wayfair room, but I guess they're getting as many sponsors as possible which I fully support as I am so glad this show is back!

• Love 2

I am guessing that the parents made some changes to their room after their friends saw it.  Removed the MDF silver coffee table pieces the next day.   The following week or so they put their old drawer pulls back (with great difficulty).  Then pictures gone along with the silver.  If we were to see it now we would recognise the bedspread, curtains and nook bench, that's it.  As for the headboard, maybe they kept the new one for awhile but they will change it back down the line. 

The kids kept everything the way it was.  They did hem the curtains in the nook, they were a little long.  They loved it.  I did, too. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

At times it feels like Vern over-designs some of his rooms, and the table ends that he put over the old chest

That is the main thing I didn't get. As he was explaining it I couldn't figure out what he meant and when I finally saw it I was baffled. It was...odd. I get that the old chest didn't really go with the style of the room and that he didn't want to ruin it because it was a beautiful piece. But...just move it to another room. It didn't make sense to cover it but not really since it was still visible, to keep it functional, but only after you slide the new bits off of it. Like, what? I still loved the room and I'm glad he didn't ruin that lovely chest but I was scratching my head quite a bit.

I don't mind the string ball lights. That's a definite style and high end ones would cost a lot more than they should and Vern strikes me as the type who is used to high end shops so I can see where he got his price point. They were a good size for such a large room and probably cheaper than buying any other oversized lighting.

Still hate the drawer handles, but again, he didn't want to ruin their existing furniture with paint or anything but they definitely did NOT go with his design so he had to do something. I just think he picked the wrong something.

All that said, regardless of what I did or didn't like, I'm so happy that both couples loved their rooms and seemed to have a ball doing each others rooms. I personally loved that they were so willing to go along with the designers ideas, that the all seemed very open to the experience and what they might end up with.

I do wonder how they would have handled Doug and Hildi though. I feel like these two families got the perfect designers for their personalities and style. It was nice.

• Love 3

I am just glad we have 2 episodes in a row with nicely done rooms.  I think it is nice when they have episodes where both couples get equal level designers so that they both end up with good rooms (or bad) at the same time versus one homeowner getting a Vern room, and one homeowner getting a Hildi room.  I liked both rooms this round, and I wish they would keep doing rooms like this (and last episode) so homeowners actually have something nice done for them versus having a room they have to totally redo.

• Love 4

I thought that both designers made both homeowners happy!  They did what they were supposed to do (are you listening, Hildi and Doug?), give the HO a new, improved, nice space.  

The only problem I had with both rooms were the alcoves.  I wasn't sure what their purpose was for the families.  If I had one I would want it to be a reading nook - with bookshelves on two sides (walls), two different types of comfy chairs (for me a very comfortable chaise and a rocking chair with an ottoman), two different types of lights (a tall one and a small one on a table), maybe family pictures or a cool print related to reading.  I would want it be a very light color or mimic an old-fashioned reading room with dark colors.  Ohhh, if only....

• Love 5

I thought this was easily the best of the three episodes so far in the sense that the rooms were good and the homeowners were a lot of fun. Both couples seemed to have genuinely loving marriages, and I never thought their affection was played up for the camera. They were just pleasant people.  Genevieve's room was much more focused and pulled together than a lot of her work on the previous series (I haven't kept up with her since then), and Vern's was very "him." It was not his best ever, and I wondered if the challenging dimensions had something to do with that. What he does works best in a focused space, if that makes any sense. A lot of his talent is in economy and understatement. But I liked much more of both rooms than I disliked.   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

It was not his best ever, and I wondered if the challenging dimensions had something to do with that. What he does works best in a focused space, if that makes any sense. A lot of his talent is in economy and understatement. But I liked much more of both rooms than I disliked.   

That makes me wonder if it is easier to design for a smaller space than a larger space. I would think, on a budget it is definitely easier to design for a small space because there is less space to fill. In a bigger room you can end up with a lot of emptiness. I do think Vern does better on a smaller more intimate scale. It suits his style of design better.

• Love 3

Google Vern Yip Florida beach house.  I can’t post the link on my IPad, for some fucking reason known only to Apple.

It is beautiful.   His husband is gorgeous (understatement) and their kids are very cute.  

I love their red print curtains!  The entire house is stunning. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2