Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Chivalry Is Dead

I know LARPers.  They never actually showed a LARP (the first group was just D&Ders in costume).  While the event the VOW was killed at was more of a LARP, the plot isn't known in advance by the players.  Unless the killer was the runner of the LARP, he may have thought he was supposed to kill Lancelot but he wouldn't have known it.  Mireover, the VOW was dumb -- he knew thay played with real swords but did nothing to protect himself.

So let's talk about swords.  Yes, killing sword was thinner than the broadsword Excalibur, but not thin enough to piece chain-mail.  You need a rapier or epee to do that.  But it's moot because we never saw any chain-mail on the VOW.  Both chain and plate armor are heavy --there's no way he would be wearing both (And neither sword would pierce plate armor).

And, no, LARPers don't talk like that (and they tend not to serve lieges).  They doth talk most like thou and I, verily.  (I just made my7self a little nauseous.)

On 4/23/2018 at 8:02 PM, mjc570 said:

why are we supposed to think this is a good thing, picking and choosing what deserving people they'll "save," when we've already seen starving zombies in Seattle.  If someone has an incurable disease, let them die.

Indeed.

On 4/24/2018 at 5:39 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Liv: Somewhat disappointed that Liv appointed Clive her "liege." Why couldn't she have been her own liege?

Clive: I would have thought that Clive would have been more into LARPing since it's close to his beloved Game of Thrones

Peyton: Peyton's breaking bad makes even less sense than Liv's.

I think someone may have gotten the Society for Creative Anachronisms confused with LARPing.  Knights in the SCA do serve their liege, the Baron of whaever region they're in, who serves the King. (Actually, the SCA could be thought of as a LARP, except there's no runner -- bouts are determined by skill, not by dice rolls.)

Was it Clive or Ravi who was enthralled by the D&D game?  Whichever it was, the idea of doing so outdoors, with actual props would be something they'd seek out.

Agreed about Peyton.  She's skirted the law a few times, as I recall, but she tries to stay within it.  Totally flaunting it, especially for something so weak, just isn't her.

On 4/24/2018 at 1:42 PM, ketose said:

I thought they said the guy studied Medieval history. That might make him more obsessed.

Might but probably not.  And I know people who are obsessed with Medieval history, and they don't talk like that at all.  Even during Shakespeare Week.

ETA from the review:

I could have watched an entire episode about Peyton struggling with how to react to the realization that Liv is a coyote, and Liv feeling conflicted about her best friend joining the dangerous operation.

I'm not sure I would want an entire episode, but at least a half of one of moral quandries from both women.

Edited by jhlipton
Quote from the review
  • Love 2

Man, this having the brain totally take over Liv's personality is getting tiresome. I see most everyone has noticed it. I wonder if it will wind up being a plot point? I'm gonna trust the writers for now, and believe that it is a plot point, and something is up with that. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Teitr Styrr said:

Man, this having the brain totally take over Liv's personality is getting tiresome. I see most everyone has noticed it. I wonder if it will wind up being a plot point? I'm gonna trust the writers for now, and believe that it is a plot point, and something is up with that. 

I am not willing to give them that much credit.  They haven't laid down any sort of groundwork, or had even a single other character react to this.

• Love 2

There's probably an element of giving in to the brain involved here. For the most part, these zombies are eating brains because they have to. But Liv is trying to extract memories out of the brain. I think it makes some sense that she (or smack-brain Ravi) have to let the person's memories kick in more so that they can get the information they're looking for.

• Love 1

Even if they establish a reason why the brains are overtaking her personality, that still won't explain why she acts like a ridiculous caricature of the person who died (with one personality trait wildly exaggerated and all other traits ignored), rather than an actual human being.

• Love 6

They did explain it near the end of last season. Her grief and guilt at having to shoot Drake in the head was so overwhelming that she leaned into the personality of the brain she had eaten because it provided a relief from emotions she didn't want to feel. The personality changes should have become less pronounced after that but instead they have ramped up.

• Love 5

There was a lot to like in this episode but I do have one gripe. It's this: Mama Leonie's smuggling operation was as much concerned with getting people OUT of Seattle as it was with getting them in and she only turned them irregularly. But in the last two episodes we've seen Liv concentrating almost exclusively on smuggling people in and turning them. As others have noted, with the food shortage this is a monumentally bad idea. But then Liv has all the food she needs so maybe she doesn't quite "get" it? I don't now. I just feel like they've concentrated entirely on this aspect of the smuggling operation for the sole purpose of introducing this "twist" of her not being able to turn people.

I will say, this show still makes me laugh out loud at times. The dialogue is still on point. The scene at the beginning where Ravi and Clive had their "TARDIS is ridiculous, I'll wait for the zombie to eat the brain" conversation was hilarious. 

• Love 1
On 4/23/2018 at 8:02 PM, mjc570 said:

I used to love this show.  Now, I doubt I'll be watching anymore.

I was interrupted midway through this episode. It sat on my DVR for a long time, then the next episode sat there. I finally deleted it from my recordings list. It was just a LARP too far.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
On 4/23/2018 at 11:02 PM, mjc570 said:

I used to love this show.  Now, I doubt I'll be watching anymore.

I was interrupted midway through this episode. It sat on my DVR for a long time, then the next episode sat there. I finally deleted it from my recordings list. It was just a LARP too far.

It's a shame, but it is no longer must-see TV for me. We gave up cable a few months ago so can't DVR shows (though we can watch CW shows with the app for as long as they are available online). At first I was worried about missing this show and a couple of others during our fairly frequent travels, but we are going away this Sunday for a couple of weeks and I'm not sure I will even bother to watch the 2 missed episodes online when we get back.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2018 at 1:07 AM, CletusMusashi said:

Maybe the reason Renegade Liv doesn't take the brain shortage seriously is that she works in an all you can eat buffet.

This has been one of my issues with Live since Season 1.  I remember her fight with Lowell when she realized that he was one of Blaine's clients.  I was thinking "Um, Liv?  I don't recall you offering to share your morgue supply."   Even still, she see's people starving and the meager rations given out.  Is she really so detached from it that she thinking hand picking individuals to "save" and dumping them into an overtaxed zombie feeding system is a good idea? 

And yeah, in a season filled with brain personalities irritatingly overwhelming to Liv's self, this LARPer was amongst the most irritating.  Someone up thread mentioned not even recognizing Liv's normal personality as we see it so rarely and how that makes it hard to connect.  It reminds me a complaint I and many other had with Dollhouse.  It was hard to connect with a character who was an entirely different person each episode. Liv isn't quite that bad; but I miss Liv.