Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E12: Top 24 Celebrity Duets (2)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, kib said:

A great introduction of what he can do

Here's Allen Stone with Daryl Hall on "Live From Daryl's House, which is an excellent series.  I hope Idol can use him again.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 3

I think the show puts through who they think viewers will like.  If it were me I would’ve cut Effie.  She just wasn’t great this week.  

ITA; the tattoos and hair didn't phase me, but she had an off week vocally at a bad time to do that.  I also thought "Defying Gravity" wasn't good, but I've heard enough bad versions of it that I'm jaded (it's one of those songs like, OK, Fight Song, that become a ballad to inspire people, which is great, and that inspiration might raise your ability to sing it--but not always enough for me to enjoy it with you.  I think she could have had more fun with "For Good", but there was the whole Glee connection they were going for.)

I think if Ada is performing as a female singer, that's how she should be judged/decided--to other female singers (this is an extreme version of not caring about backstory).  All of them are playing a character to one degree or another, so how much do I want to hear someone singing in that character on my radio?  So far for me that's Maddie and Jurnee for sure; the others could get there but haven't completely yet.

1 hour ago, Babalooie said:

Here's Allen Stone with Daryl Hall on "Live From Daryl's House, which is an excellent series.  I hope Idol can use him again.

Thank you for that-I've seen quite of few of these shows, but I might not have checked out the Stone collaboration, since I didn't know who he is. They are wonderful together.

• Love 2

Finally caught up on Idol. Ughhhh. I actually think there are a lot of talented people this year but the choice to let eyebrow guy through baffles me. I kept counting fingers and switching in my head who I wanted through trying to make the numbers work...and the only person that consistently stayed on my GO HOME list was him. I even fastforwarded through his duet. Ughhhhh. Same for Jonny but that group wasn't as good as this week's so I almost understood the need to put in the "goodlooking" guy over other mediocre singers.

I don't think any of the others that didn't make it could have won it, but they deserved the chance to try. I loved Ron's solo song. Shannon bored me this weekend but I loved some of her previous performances and she has potential. I loved Effie's first performance but haven't liked her voice since then. The tone just doesn't sound good to me with the song choices she's made. Raghu has a nice tone but she wasn't ready and there isn't enough time for the growth she needs. Amelia has a boring voice and personality but she looks the part. ANY ONE OF THEM would have been better than freakin Garrett. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I literally yelled that at the screen when I heard his name.

Jurnee is my favorite for now followed by Maddie. I hope next week Jonny, Garrett, Gabby and Cade or Adam are cut. The first two can't sing. Gabby is a dime a dozen. Cade and Adam are overblown and hit or miss for me.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:54 AM, Mu Shu said:

I’ll tell you what will happen.  When Adam, and let’s be real, he said he is Adam, isn’t advanced there will be an uproar about homophobia, transphobia, etc. whoever wins will be lambasted for being “vanilla”.

He tried several times and couldn’t make it, so he devised this character, and now no one can say anything about it.  About how awful the makeup is.  The clothing.  The lack of any charisma.   He can sing?  So?  I remember a couple of people named Latoya London and Tamyra Gray, beautiful, camera ready girls who could belt.  They didn’t make it.  He’s no better than them. 

Simon would have shut this foolishness down.  These fools are just enabling him and telling him how special he is because THEY don’t want to be branded the intolerant ones.  They’re foisting the dirty work on to their audience.  

It sucks for the voters, and it sucks for Adam. It sucks for Effie who was left behind so this fuckery could continue.

Adam, if you want to be a queen take some criticism.  Your fucking Kotex is showing.  Your makeup is hideous, and if you’re going to insist on form fitting clothes, learn about real girdles.  You have too much junk for shapewear.  Start getting a brutal reality check from queens. 

But I don’t think he’s a queen.  This is a wedge to get onto the show, and it worked.

Truth about Adam being over rated.  However, Idol is no longer important enough for it to warrant any huge backlash when he gets voted off.  There really won't even be enough time.  With the shortened season, the eliminations will be fast and furious.  

They've been unceremoniously cutting people in drag and in all kinds of other sub-groups since the start, on Idol and every other reality tv show. 

Ada's there because she can sing well enough to be there and has a story, if you ask me.

6 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

ITA; the tattoos and hair didn't phase me, but she had an off week vocally at a bad time to do that.  I also thought "Defying Gravity" wasn't good, but I've heard enough bad versions of it that I'm jaded (it's one of those songs like, OK, Fight Song, that become a ballad to inspire people, which is great, and that inspiration might raise your ability to sing it--but not always enough for me to enjoy it with you.  I think she could have had more fun with "For Good", but there was the whole Glee connection they were going for.)

Lea and Chris Colfer did sing "For Good" on Glee, when they went to New York, so they could have used that song for the Glee connection. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

They did sing For Good on glee too but  Defying Gravity was more for Ada's narrative than a glee connection.

Edited by itsjustme
  • Love 2

I also was surprised Effie did not go through (I wasn't rooting for her since she reminds me of Krissy from Big brother OTT), but she did deserve it over Garrett. I know AI wants more equal numbers of boys and girls but Garrett and Johnny are wasting 2 of the boys spots.  I also predict with less strong boys, we will see 3/4 finalists be boys. 

So is the live show going to be on Sunday night and results on Monday? My daughter will want to vote but Sunday night is hard to watch live TV. 

3 hours ago, silverspoons said:

0o is the live show going to be on Sunday night and results on Monday?

This week, yes. After that, the next 3 live shows (top 10, top 7 and top 5) will be Sunday only, presumably with the eliminations at the end of each show. The Finale performance show is Sunday May 20th, with the Finale results Monday the 21st.

Edited by sempervivum
wrong dates
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

This week, yes. After that, the next 3 live shows (top 10, top 7 and top 5) will be Sunday only, presumably with the eliminations at the end of each show. The Finale performance show is Sunday May 20th, with the Finale results Monday the 21st.

So in the next 3 shows will voting only be during the show for the EST? like the AGT save? Thanks for the information. I didn't know there was going to be 2-4 people going every week. I guess voting will have to be more strategic for super fans. How many past winners were never in the bottom 3 at some point. I guess some favorite will leave early. 

Edited by silverspoons

silverspoons- all will be live/voting shows. Mmm, now that you bring up elimination timing, not sure if Idol will follow the traditional template. I assume that we'll still get to vote til 10 CST, which means the eliminations have to be delayed til the next show. Not sure in that case whether they announce the eliminations at the beginning, or if they just let them all perform and knock the losers off at the end.

Both are unappealing formats- the nice thing about a separate elimination show is that the downer aspect doesn't bleed into what should be an upbeat performance show.

14 hours ago, sempervivum said:

So if I'm reading this correctly, there have already been 12 shows in which the judges whittled down the contestants (since this was episode 12), but there are at the most 5 shows that I get to vote on?  Kind of makes me wonder why I'm even bothering to watch...

• Love 2

Nessie- there were 5(?) audition episodes, plus 2 weeks of Hollywood stuff to get to top 50/24, then 2 sets of top 24 performances/eliminations. And yes, it's very 'The Voice'-like, vs. the old AI format. The only good thing is they haven't started 'battles'-and if they do, I'm OUT.

• Love 1

Hey!  During this episode I finally realized who is playing bass and always shown behind the singers.  It makes perfect sense since he is unemployed at the moment.  Are you ready??????  

It's Colin Kaepernick!

• Love 3
23 hours ago, sempervivum said:

This completely sucks.  So people only get to vote 4 times?  What's the point, then?  I thought the object of Idol was for the audience to get involved; whittling down the number of shows in which to vote is the total opposite of that.  I rather enjoyed, back in the day, of watching the slow and steady countdown of 12, then 11, then 10......on and on to the final two.  Each new season would start in January (winter) and end in May (springtime).  I always thought that was so cool.  Between the inept, unwatchable panel of judges, and now this, this voting thing,  I doubt that I'll be back next year.  Or even that the show will be back next year, for that matter.

• Love 4

Thanks, Vanessa1214 and itsjustme, I had missed that.

From the ratings, the show will be back next year, and might have more voting.  (If you ever get a survey about television, be sure to ask for that, and then to have low expectations as to the outcome.)

One thing that gives me hope for some of the people is they said "your Idol journey ends this year."  I don't know if they're planning an all-most stars season.  (Give me tickets and you can use that name, 19E.)  I'd like an opportunity to have voted on all 24. 

ETA:  If you start to Google "Bebe", the predictive text gives you "Rexha."  This show (and doing a country crossover really well) seems to have helped, though if my radio is any indication, that people like her singing helped the most.

Edited by marketdoctor
to add the part about Google.

But a series low for Idol is still better than nearly any other show out there it's up against.  I think the only thing that drew more viewers was The Voice.  

But it also costs more to produced than most shows it's up against.  If it is renewed, the first cut should be Katy Perry's salary.  No judge should be paid $25M  Also, the show's schedule should not revolve around the judges' touring commitments.

Edited by twilightzone
  • Love 1
On 4/19/2018 at 7:32 PM, Babalooie said:

Hey!  During this episode I finally realized who is playing bass and always shown behind the singers.  It makes perfect sense since he is unemployed at the moment.  Are you ready??????  

It's Colin Kaepernick!

I've been thinking that EVERY time I see him!

Also ... so I'm guessing now that the contestants who go early have a HUGE advantage over those who go late other than anyone with already-ingrained superfandom. Seems unfair unless they have a foolproof method of limiting repeat votes and they won't do that because they want their vote numbers to be big. So we'll know who their favorites are very early on.

Is there a judge's save for each one this year maybe?

On 4/21/2018 at 11:47 AM, sempervivum said:

Here are the rules for voting, the schedule,  etc.  Apparently the top 10 show is going to be similar to the S15/Fox final season, with voters choosing some and judges choosing others.

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-2018-how-to-vote-top-10-reveal-and-wildcard-details.htm

Is it just me (and I admit it probably is) or is that the most convoluted voting system ever invented?  I am extremely tech-challenged, and if I can't figure out how to text-vote, then I'm out, but mainly the whole mathematical process of elimination coupled with a short season, does not seem like a good idea.  But what do I know.  

Thank you for posting the info.  :)

7 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

is that the most convoluted voting system ever invented? 

It looks to me like text voting will just be texting to the number they will give, like in the past.  The downloading step is only for if you want to use their app, and the registration at OneID is only needed by those who want to vote via the app or ABC.com. 

On 4/19/2018 at 7:32 PM, Babalooie said:

It's Colin Kaepernick!

Lol, I thought he resembled him.  But I think the bass player is sexy.  I watch him far more than the contestants. 

I don’t even vote or care really.  Just give it to Jurnee and call it a day.

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 1

Finally got all caught up just before tonight's episode!

Caleb & Bebe - You could tell Caleb was kind of awkward and uncomfortable with this song. Too pop for him. Bebe did well trying to hype him though.

Ada & Lea - Lea really outshone Ada here. Ada had a couple of moments but this was Lea's. I love Wicked and the music from it, so I loved hearing them sing this.

Maddie & Colbie - This was a great matchup, they have very similar voices. Their harmonies at the end were so nice. They should have let Maddie also play her guitar though.

Ron & Banners - This was a really random pairing and song choice. It didn't do him any favors, but at least he tried to put on a performance I guess.

Amelia & Bebe - I could tell Amelia tried to make it more soulful rock to suit her style, but Bebe sounded better on this. Amelia was always more style over talent for me.

Shannon & Cam - This was one of Shannon's better efforts. But I don't think her voice is that special as the judges said and there's just something missing for now. Deservedly cut.

Alyssa & Banners - She really got screwed. This wasn't the best partner or song for her. But she did the best she could with the hand she was dealt.

Marcio & Allen - This was excellent, especially for a last minute pairing. 

Jurnee & Lea - I didn't care for the song, I thought it was boring, but Jurnee was vocally evenly matched with Lea here. They both came together really well.

Garrett & Colbie - This was certainly better than Garrett's solo, not that that's saying much. His solo in the beginning actually was pretty good. But this was just passable, nothing outstanding. He may have lost himself some votes by talking about his girlfriend. I don't think he should have gotten through. But there weren't many guys in this group and Ron isn't ready.

Mara & Rachel - This was probably my favorite duet of the night. I just thought Mara sounded really solid and she connected so well to the song. Rachel is gorgeous and she was so kind as a mentor to Mara. I think Mara is so much better when she is calmed down in her performances. I didn't agree before with her going to the top 14 but after seeing these performances it's totally justified.

Effie & Cam - This really wasn't bad at all for being so last-minute and Effie not knowing the song or being comfortable with country. 

Results: Overall I agree with the judges's picks for the top 14 except Garrett. They could have swapped him for another girl like Alyssa or Effie. But as I said before, there wasn't too much choice with guys in this group other than Ron who was terrible in both performances. 

My favorite duets were Mara & Rachel, followed by Marcio & Allen, then Maddie & Colbie, and Ada & Lea. 

• Love 1
On 4/20/2018 at 11:31 AM, twilightzone said:

Monday's night episode reached an all-time low in Idol history.

The TV ratings system needs a major overhaul. I live in a place where very few people have cable/satillte and not many ecen have hulu or youtube or another streaming service for network TV (it is a religious thing). My daughter had some friends over last night and they all watched part last two weeks AI, along with superstore, goldbergs. middle. There is no way to count how many people watch on all these streaming services. I remember being a Neilsen family as a teen. I loved Days of our lives and I wrote in the booklet, that all our TVs were on Days and all ages were watching. There is just no real way to track rating these days. AI has to still be pretty popular with the under 40's since I see youtube clips of this years show with millions of views.

On 4/21/2018 at 9:47 AM, sempervivum said:

Here are the rules for voting, the schedule,  etc.  Apparently the top 10 show is going to be similar to the S15/Fox final season, with voters choosing some and judges choosing others.

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-2018-how-to-vote-top-10-reveal-and-wildcard-details.htm

Not a fan of this system. Seems like ABC wants to make sure they have certain people go through. The whole excitement of AI was America chooses. 

• Love 2

I’m not sure why there are several posters blaming Ada for Effie’s undeserved elimination. There’s a handful of people Effie was better than. If anyone, I’d blame Garrett, because he really has nothing to offer beyond a pretty face.

I'm glad Maddie got to sing with Colbie. I didn't know who Banners the black-haired girl were, tbh, although they were nice.

Edited by TheGreenKnight

Mara just seems so sweet that she's going to be heartbroken if/when she's eliminated. Sort of like the country girl who got eliminated (I forget her name; she had a little sister). That's the thing I dislike about them casting people so young.

On 4/16/2018 at 9:59 PM, dizzyd said:

I think Rachel was the best mentor tonight, she really let Mara shine. 

That summer of "Fight Song," I was able to get a spot near the stage for Rachel's performance at our local music festival.  You could see the emotion on her face when she saw thousands of people holding "I fight for..." cards and singing along with her song after the frustration of years of one-woman bar shows and record contracts that fell through.

• Love 2