Type keyword(s) to search

For The People - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Was it...really a secret that Roger and Jill are dating? They played it like it was some huge reveal to Sandra, but I thought it was an open secret that everyone just wasn’t acknowledging yet. 

I really wish they hadn’t copped out and had the officer die right away, since it absolved Sandra of a lot of her responsibility. Attorney/client privilege is hugely important, but Christ, I don’t actually think she had a leg to stand on with “I don’t know if he’s in danger” — you have a map of where the body is. I liked Jill’s way of positioning “I fight for the most vulnerable and today the most vulnerable person is that officer” - there was a better way to go about doing this; I’m not sure this was quite the way to go. 

I cant help it, I know he’s there for comic relief, but I like the antics of Seth. I liked the actor on The Good Wife, I liked the limited role he had on Mr Robot, and I think he’s fine here. I’d rather watch him and Jay have roommate shenanigans than watch Sandra box out her feelings. 

• Love 8

Law and Order did it better, when they had an episode about the lawyer of a serial killer who went to where the guy had buried all the bodies, and the lawyer wouldn't tell them where they were because of attorney client privilege.  He went to jail so as not to do it.  I respected him.  Sandra, not so much.

• Love 2

I was beginnint to not hate Sandra. I'm back to hating her now.

At the end of the episode when Allison said "I love you Sandra" I thought/hoped she was going to continue with "but you are crazy".

Jill was upset by Roger's subpoena but in the end maybe he was right. Crazy Sandra might have hidden everything if he hadn't done it.

I laughed out loud at Seth's nonsense. That was the good part of the episode.

• Love 3
On 4/21/2019 at 7:06 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

Was it...really a secret that Roger and Jill are dating? They played it like it was some huge reveal to Sandra, but I thought it was an open secret that everyone just wasn’t acknowledging yet. 

Not only are they dating, but I thought that they were now living together.

Edited by nilyank
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 4/15/2019 at 7:22 AM, TV Anonymous said:

CMIIW, but I think Law & Order did it too. I do not remember whether it was the original series or SVU. Tom Skerritt was the judge.

Speaking of this episode, Oliver did not have tenant's insurance? I found it rather hard to believe that for something not his fault he needed to pay for his accommodation himself.

They must have done it twice. The one I remember is early SVU. The judge was Swootsie something or other, from Sisters. Stabler played the dad of a bad kid and offered up the bribe. I love the episode. 

Jusr saw I never hit submit. Lol. This is like a month old. 

That was just so sad tonight. I yelled “oh no” much louder than I should have. Sandra’s speech was spot on. I love the string analogy. Good stuff. 

Edited by TV Diva Queen
*string not strong
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

That was just so sad tonight. I yelled “oh no” much louder than I should have. Sandra’s speech was spot on. I love the strong analogy. Good stuff. 

They caught me off guard with it... Part of me thought he was gonna be a scammer and dip off but as the hour closed in.. I figured he really was remorseful... While I'm sure Alison does have real issues with her parents.. They do seem super clinical.. They weren't wrong.. Her even asking them for the money the way she did kinda proved them right.. Also nice casting on the parents.. T. Tillford is a good looking brotha.. And I've always had a soft spot for Melinda McGraw... Ted is right Sandra.. Leave it alone... Dont come At Jill... Hooray for a slightly softer Leonard... Seth and his awkwardness was appreciated... Judge scenes were actually cool... Jay is still meh

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Mikita said:

Leonard and Allison. Hmm. 

Yes to the good casting of Allison's parents. 

I loved the judge's jury duty scenes. Good morning. 

I say no to Leo/Ali only because you can tell Leo is still hung up on Kate.. And I don't want Ali to be a placeholder.. Plus she's already dated a prosecutor.. I'd prefer of they just continued to be the light skin trust fund super friends.. Between those two and Jackson on Grey's I finally feel like my particular slice of black life is on the screen... 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I say no to Leo/Ali only because you can tell Leo is still hung up on Kate.. And I don't want Ali to be a placeholder.. Plus she's already dated a prosecutor.. I'd prefer of they just continued to be the light skin trust fund super friends.. Between those two and Jackson on Grey's I finally feel like my particular slice of black life is on the screen... 

I just want poor Allison to get more scenes. Tonight was a start. I enjoyed the scenes between the two.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mikita said:

I just want poor Allison to get more scenes. Tonight was a start. I enjoyed the scenes between the two.

Me too.. And I'm super happy that she's moved on from emotional support doll for Sandra.. Just don't see a thing between those two lasting on the show and it would probably just cause needless drama that this show hasn't peddled in before... Seth would feel a certain type of way with his obvious inferiority issues as it relates to Leo... Kate would go thru the oh so predictable " the guy I like but can't make a move with yet is dating someone else now arrrgh" archer that I feel we've all seen... Sandra has opinions about everything... And as I said before Leo still seems like.. If Kate called and said yes.. He'd drop everything else... I'd rather Platonic opposite sides of a similar coin buddies

• Love 3

It is amazing how much more I liked this episode with Sandra being minimized throughout most of it. I know she's ostensibly our lead character, but if anyone were to go on the chopping block and not be missed, it'd be her. Truly, who gives a shit if Jill is involved with Roger; when this whole series started, the conceit was that Alison and Seth were ENGAGED and that wasn't a problem for Sandra then. Now all of a sudden its "How can you even live with a prosecutor?"; especially because over in the DAs office, I would think Seth is probably the least offensive out of all of them.

This entire episode made me wish we had a role reversal where the show was more focused on Alison and Sandra was the sidekick rather than the other way around. Even Alison's one scene with Ted had more chemistry than any of Sandra's scenes with him.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, preeya said:

HELP!  My recording crapped out when Allison & Sandra were on the subway.

How did it end?

They went to the guy's funeral.

I didn't quite get why he was beat up? Was it cause he was gay or because he was fresh meat?

I liked the fact that Allison and Knox working together.  But why are all judges and all lawyers either good or bad? There isn't any grey in this show? I mean either a judge is shown as a really decent guy doing his job (the older gent who had to do jury duty - i forgot his name) or just a crappy judge (the one from a few weeks ago and now the circuit court judge who couldn't give a crap).  Same thing with the lawyers.

Sandra needs to get off her high horse.  As long as Rogers and Jill are not pillow talking secrets there isn't anything in the rule book saying they can't be together. 

Not enough Kate Littlejohn. 

• Love 5

Can we just make Allison the main character, and have Sandra be her dramatic but plucky best friend? I like her so much more as a lead, she is likable and interesting, but she also have flaws that seem realistic to a young woman with her backstory. However, unlike Sandra and her self importance, Allison is pretty self aware about her flaws, and admits to them and tries to work on them. I liked how she acknowledged that, while she cant complain too much as her parents have always provided for her financially, and that makes her very lucky, she also does wish they provided her more emotional support. That self awareness keeps her from becoming a cliche rid kid type of character, as well as her very genuine desire to do good. 

The ending of her story was so sad, I might have even said "wait, no!" out loud when they showed his cell. He was so close to getting out too! 

Sandra and her moping was just annoying, especially with the other more interesting stories going on. Like, how is it that this is just SUCH a traumatic lawyer moment for her? A guy could have died! Its sheer coincidence that he didnt die while she was dithering around about it, would she have felt good about that? That guys family would have never knows what happened to him, but that would have been her happy ending? I get that having to do something that would hurt a client sucks, but it was an extreme situation, and even Jill told her that she did the right thing. And now she is trying to bust Jill for being with Roger, and being all "how can you live with a prosecutor?!?" all because she feels about about this stupid non issue? So much that she just pouts around the office all day? Allison may live in her parents apartment, but she is still way more of a grown up than Sandra. I did love how Jay just seemed really confused by her questioning living with Seth. Like, what does his job have to do with how I do mine? 

The judge doing a 12 Angry Men variation was funny, and it was fun seeing a lower stake case in lower courts, especially the obviously over the top drama of the lawyers trying to get the jury's attention.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Can we just make Allison the main character, and have Sandra be her dramatic but plucky best friend?

Is Sandra supposed to be "the" main character?  I saw it as an ensemble show and didn't catch that it was intended to be a story mostly about Sandra.

To me, Littlejohn is the most compelling character.  But I like seeing a little from all of them, so am not keen on Sandra being "the" main character. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Can Sandra please take a back seat in all episodes? And like others have already said, why is she seemingly horrified and offended by Jill and what’s-his-name? It hasn’t been a problem and it’s none of her business. She’s useless. And looks silly boxing. There, I said it. 

• Love 9

As someone who couldn't stand her portrayal last year and as someone who was a bit salty that the characters were race swapped ( originally Sandra was to be played by Britney Olford and Alison by a white actress who's name escapes me at the moment)  I have to say Sandra ( sans this last bit of hand wringing and pouting)  has been a much better character this year.. Maybe its because the show last year tried to make her the most important person in the ensemble and saw folks weren't responding favorably ( take notes The Bold Type).. Maybe its Cuz we haven't really seen her in court too much with all her screaming... But I've enjoyed her much more this year... Seth is better as well.. Jay is still Meh... But this show to me is Kate/Leonard & Alison ( who was a nonstop factor last year)... Roger is still fun and Jill is inspiring to me... And Ted.. Well he's been a good addition.. And old like to add him to my super team of TV show investigators and fixers... Ray Donavan.. Olivia Pope.. Kalinda from the good wife and Harrison from Leverage... I doubt there's a problem in the world that team couldn't fix 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, meatball77 said:

The lawyer doing the presentation with the facts spelling out the word guilty cracked me up.

"I mean, it literally spells guilty!" That was hilarious, it was like we wandered into an episode of Better Call Saul for a second!

And the other lawyer doing the whole reading glasses bit, only to realize that he had used the same word without changing it! And the younger jury guy drawing him with a carrot head. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Would a judge really have gotten through the jury selection? That seemed so bonkers. I realize the other judge & attorneys didn't seem to be paying attention.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Fuck you Sandra.

I dunno how Jill didn't just fire her ass right then and there... That whole meltdown was exhausting for me.. And reminded me why I couldn't stand her last year... And all that crying and her client was guilty as hell and she put out a be defense and had the nerve to get all loud with Jill... She tells her boss she can't trust her... Ugh.. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

I dunno how Jill didn't just fire her ass right then and there... That whole meltdown was exhausting for me.. And reminded me why I couldn't stand her last year... And all that crying and her client was guilty as hell and she put out a be defense and had the nerve to get all loud with Jill... She tells her boss she can't trust her... Ugh.. 

However, putting all your feelings and animosities aside, she was 100% correct.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, preeya said:

However, putting all your feelings and animosities aside, she was 100% correct.

Was she?..  To this point had Jill shown any lapse in judgment... Any indication that her and Roger was affecting her work... I sure hadn't seen any... As per usual Sandra was upset about something and blew up.. Her own insecurities about becoming friends with Kate and their subsequent tiff via closing arguments got her in her feelings and she used it to cast doubt on a boss who again hasn't shown any favoritism to roger 

• Love 15

Relatively recent viewer of this show, and while I see it is now a moot point, I also could not stand the character of Sandra. Total Mary Sue. I wanted Jill to give her the smackdown. 

• Love 10
(edited)
On 5/9/2019 at 8:38 PM, preeya said:

'For The People’ Canceled By ABC After 2 Seasons

Read it here:  https://1clickurls.com/qNtmnr-

So next week will be Series Finale.

I'm going to miss Susannah Flood as Kate Littlejohn.

Kate Littlejohn basically sold me on For the People. I wasn't impressed by much else about the show, but Susannah Flood was impressive. I hope she lands another gig soon.

I'll miss the other characters less, but I did come to like most of them.

The charismatic, talented and gorgeous Jasmin Savoy Brown's Allison Adams who should have been the first year public defender the show focused on from the beginning. Wesam Keesh as Jay was adorable, funny and very likable. I didn't always like Leonard Knox but Regé-Jean Page was good in the role, and there's nothing wrong with having that much pretty in the room. I also came to like Seth--eventually; I think there was a lot of room for the character to grow.

I liked all the actors and their characters; except Britt Robertson as Sandra Bell.

Sandra, imo, was a drag on the show. She was a ball of jittery neuroses wrapped in annoyance wrapped in screechy tangents. If Britt Robertson could have infused Sandra with even a smidgen of charm maybe it wouldn't have been a chore to watch the majority of her scenes.

Anyway, a very talented cast.

I hope they all go on to bigger and better things.

Edited by steelyis
  • Love 14
(edited)

Jill should have snatched Sandra across that desk and dragged her across that office. I could not believe the nerve. In what world is she comfortable speaking to her superior like that? In what world would the superior take it while trying to hold back tears. That entire scene was obnoxious.

Britt Robertson was the death knell for this show. No star quality to speak of and very simply, not a draw. Her portrayal of Sandra Bell was...bad. From the beginning, she didn’t look the part and she was unable to make Sandra a likable character for audiences to root for. Some of that is on the writers, some of it is on her.

I will miss the iconic Kate Littlejohn, as well as Leonard Knox. Those two were great. I wish they did more with Allison, as well as the clerk lady. Hoping to see these actors in other projects in the future. All in all I’m thankful we got 2 seasons out of a show that should have frankly been cancelled last year.

Edited by doLLish
  • Love 13

The nerve of a newbie just piling it on a superior who has been working in that system for years!  Ugh.  And so self righteous.  Her client was guilty, she admitted her guilt to Sandra.  This is why lawyers don't really want to know if their clients are guilty or not.

I'd love to see Jill relegate Sandra to the crap cases that Jay gets.  Let her spend a little time taking the daily cases he gets until her attitude changes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

The nerve of a newbie just piling it on a superior who has been working in that system for years!  Ugh.  And so self righteous.  

I was not happy earlier today when I read that For the People was cancelled and had only one more episode to air. Until Sandra’s uncalled for hissy fit at Jill, who by all accounts has been nothing but professional and goes to lengths to make sure she and Roger don’t cross the lines at work. As mentioned by others-Sandra is a newbie, she has no right and no cause to accuse Jill of being improper. Then carrying on about how the people in the offices can’t be friends, can’t be roommates, etc.-WTF. 

I agree with the posters above: Fuck you Sandra. 

I will miss this show, I liked how Jill and Roger could be professional yet work the opposite sides of the table; grew to really like Kate, and Seth, etc. Everyone except Sandra. 

End rant. 

• Love 11

I'm pissed about Sandra's rant because Roger is about to propose.  I think that rant will cause Jill to say no.  So I'm not sad the show is ending if that's how they're going to play it.  If she says yes, I will forget Sandra and imagine Jill and Roger living happily ever after.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, hookedontv said:

I was not happy earlier today when I read that For the People was cancelled and had only one more episode to air. Until Sandra’s uncalled for hissy fit at Jill, who by all accounts has been nothing but professional and goes to lengths to make sure she and Roger don’t cross the lines at work. As mentioned by others-Sandra is a newbie, she has no right and no cause to accuse Jill of being improper. Then carrying on about how the people in the offices can’t be friends, can’t be roommates, etc.-WTF. 

She sounded utterly stupid. Just because she doesn't think that she can be professional and do her job without mixing her work life with her personal life.

The reason why Jill and Roger worked out that deal was because Kate and Sandra made mistakes during the trial, and they cleaned up their mess. They didn't do anything wrong nor did their relationship cause them not to do their jobs.

Meanwhile both Tina and Judge Byrne approve of Roger taking the next step with Jill, and I trust their judgement a hell lot more than I do that of Sandra's.

• Love 12

Add me to the list who want to say Fuck you Sandra.

Anyone in the real world throw a hissy fit like that to their boss they would be thrown out of their ass so fast her head would spin.  

Re: Robbery case. I thought that because they knew she was guilty wouldn't they try to avoid trial and negotiate a deal? 

Sad to see the show go.  I'll miss Jill/Roger, Kate Littlejohn, Seth and Jay and Tina.

• Love 5
On 5/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, rhys said:

Would a judge really have gotten through the jury selection? That seemed so bonkers. I realize the other judge & attorneys didn't seem to be paying attention.

I am Canadian and I realize that the laws and procedures are different. When I was at Jury Duty, we were asked if any of us were practicing lawyers. It was like the first question in the morning. There were a number of ineligible professions and being a practicing lawyer was on the top of the list. So whoever was, was automatically excused.

Therefore, the plot of a judge - never mind what court he is presiding - being a juror make this show drops significantly in credibility for me.

5 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

I am Canadian and I realize that the laws and procedures are different. When I was at Jury Duty, we were asked if any of us were practicing lawyers. It was like the first question in the morning. There were a number of ineligible professions and being a practicing lawyer was on the top of the list. So whoever was, was automatically excused.

Therefore, the plot of a judge - never mind what court he is presiding - being a juror make this show drops significantly in credibility for me.

In the United States there is no prohibition on a lawyer being a juror.  Many times the attorneys trying the case will strike you, because they don’t want lawyers in the jury room doing what the judge did - trying to explain the law and imposing their knowledge on the non-lawyer jurors.  But I’m a lawyer and was on a jury where the foreperson was also a lawyer (not by vote; juror #1 was automatically the foreperson).  And the criminal chief in the US Attorneys Office where I worked was a juror in a criminal case (I was on a civil case), and they acquitted  the defendant!  He never heard the end of it 😂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I concur with the Fuck Sandra verdict! How is she not instantly fired, or at least told to get out of her bosses office after that tirade? I hope that Jill gives her the shit cases every day after this, how dare she scream at and lecture her boss, who has been working in this system for so many more years than Sandra has even been practicing law, about how things should or should not be, or accuse her of being unprofessional, with no basis beyond "you did a thing I dont like"? Like, how dare people from different sides of the bench be friends?! Those monsters! Maybe because they dont have total meltdowns about their job and dont take everything personally even if its ridiculous and unprofessional? Fuck Sandra and her self important bullshit. 

It sucks that this show is cancelled, because it has a lot going for it, and I really like all the main characters...except for Sandra, who is the worst, but somehow ends up with tons of screen time no matter how little she deserves it. I feel like she dragged the show down hard, and kept it from growing the way it could have. I guess we should be happy that we got a season two, as I think this season has been an improvement on last season, as at least the show developed more of a personality of its own. Like I've said, the thing I have always liked about this show is how it shows neither the prosecutors or the defensive as the "bad guy" like most courtroom shows, but both sides are necessary for the system to work, despite what Sandra might say, and I will always really appreciate that. 

I will miss pretty much everyone except for Sandra, and the various combinations like Kate and Knox, Jill and Roger (she better not say no to him because of stupid Sandra!), Seth and Jay, etc. 

At least I got to have a few chuckles with about crow toys in DIY soldier uniforms in a terrible art school movie. It basically got me through at least a few Sandra lectures/pouting sessions. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 10

So disappointed in the cancelation of this. There are very few new dramas I even give a first look at and this one drew me in immediately. I will really miss it. Oh, except Sandra of course.

• Love 9
(edited)

Let me also add a hearty Fuck You! to Sandra.  She's insufferable.  And the nerve of her to speak to her supervisor that way, when, as many of you have already pointed out, Jill has been nothing but professional AND a good boss since the beginning of this show.  I wish a motherfucker that I supervise would talk me to me that way.....

I'm not sad or surprised that this show is cancelled.  I liked Leonard, Allison (for the 5 times they actually gave her a storyline), and the bosses.  But Sandra ruined this for me and at times I felt they were trying too hard to be a "Shondra" show.  And honestly, the only reason I returned this season is because the delicious Charles Michael Davis showed up.  But they were gonna lose me again because they kept putting him in sweatshirts (even while boxing!  Can y'all give a girl a break? Jeez.) and it looked like they were leaning in hard for a relationship between him and Sandra.  Glad it was cancelled before that happened......  #petty #shameless

Edited by luckyroll3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Jill is a pretty big deal. She’s THE  Public Defender for the Southern District. If my subordinate spoke to me like that she’d be removed  in handcuffs from the complex. Again.....in case you didn’t hear me the first time. FUS. 

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 8

I'm kinda bummed.  I thought it was decent watch.  But then, I'll put up with a lot of crap if they trot out interesting court cases.

The other thing I liked was although they were young and attractive, with side romances going on....I didn't have to see many bedroom antics. Implied is just fine.

• Love 6

I think Jill didn't say anything to Sandra after her tantrum because she is feeling some sort of way about her relationship.  Not that she feels she was ever compromised by it, she was just contemplating the future of it.  Then Sandra comes in with her little speech and Jill began internalizing all she said instead of telling her to F off. 

Jill's a grown woman with years of experience who knows who she is.  She wouldn't go easy on any prosecutor just because she feels a certain way about the prosecutor's boss.  If she was that kind of person, she wouldn't be in the position she's holding as the chief defender, she'd never have risen through the ranks.

All that to say, Fuck Sandra and Jill needs to bust her ass next episode (is there another episode?)

• Love 5
On 5/11/2019 at 8:23 AM, greekmom said:

Add me to the list who want to say Fuck you Sandra.

Anyone in the real world throw a hissy fit like that to their boss they would be thrown out of their ass so fast her head would spin.  

Re: Robbery case. I thought that because they knew she was guilty wouldn't they try to avoid trial and negotiate a deal? 

Sad to see the show go.  I'll miss Jill/Roger, Kate Littlejohn, Seth and Jay and Tina.

Yes, screw you Sandra. 

When you know you're likely to lose, you absolutely negotiate a deal. When you're likely to lose on appeal because of a Brady violation, you offer a plea. Jill and Roger did the correct thing.

I'll miss this show too.

• Love 6

Fuck you, Sandra! Imagine going off on your boss for being unprofessional and then turning around and starting a secret relationship with a coworker. 

That was a really good final case. Everyone shined and it was a chance for both sides to work together. Loved it. Loved Roger’s decision. Loved that it ended with Kate getting her due and a promotion (even if it’s unrealistic.) But fuck you, Sandra.

• Love 11

I try to be conscious of not pumping out vitriol towards female characters (and console myself that I really do like the other women in both offices), but Sandra is just so bad! I can't imagine any of the other leads bringing up their boss's private lives to them, much less being so childish and accusatory about it.

I finally looked up Britt Robertson and realized I haven't liked her in anything I've seen her in (notably Girlboss and Under the Dome). Whether or not the character of Sandra is poorly written, I think Britt's wispy and negligible acting style makes it worse.

• Love 5

Sigh....another show trying to shove some political agenda down our throats. One by one, I am removing all of them from my DVR schedule. This one has been cancelled anyway, so it doesn’t matter.

Pretty soon, network TV will be so radicalized politically that there will be nothing left for me to watch. I refuse to watch anything that is trying to sway people’s political beliefs, usually with misinformation and “yellow journalism”.   I will go straight streaming and save a bundle.

• Love 2

I loved Leonard and Kate's final speeches.. Very good... I felt for Jay's mom.. I remember my grandparents talking about their 1st votes here in the states so her story struck a chord with me.. 

• Love 11