Type keyword(s) to search

For The People - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The episode was okay. Not sure about Leonard. It really feels like the show has been coming up with a storyline almost every episode while other characters have gone multiple episodes without a storyline. I would like to see all of the characters get some of the character development that he is getting. 

As an Astros fan, I have to dislike the Yankee's ticket storyline on principle alone. 

Do like that Jay was able to get a win for his client. 

Liked Allison getting all involved while watching the tennis matches. 

It was weird that when Sandra took off her jacket, she really did look young. Probably enjoyed her storyline this episode the best. Both with the client and also the part with Seth and Allison. Still liking the Sandra/Allison relationship the best.

Jill and Roger’s complicated friendship is tested when they finally square off over a DEA raid that left an inmate clinging to life. Meanwhile, Kate is assigned to an animal smuggling case involving the death of an endangered panda; and Jay’s emotions are thrust into a case when he learns his trusting father was a victim in a pyramid scheme

13 hours ago, ybrik said:

She gives statistics and facts about the building as well as the Lego model she is building in the episode is of the building. So she never got to go the Capitol building not that she has never gone to DC. 

She did say she had never been to DC and it would be odd if she went to DC and didn't go to the Capitol if that was her dream. The Capitol is open to the public and multiple tours are available to everyone throughout the day, to be safe you would book in advance but I have never had a problem getting same day passes.

• Love 2
(edited)

Have to say I really enjoyed this episode because of the complexity of Jill's interaction with the accused.

I also can believe (sad by likely true) that the DEA would actually forget people in holding cells. 

I liked Kate's case and I hope she gets to adopt Mango. 

Even though I do like the show, I can see this getting the ax from network. I use to watch another law show called Century City. Great premises. Got the ax after a handful of episodes.

Edited by greekmom
forgot to add...

I know I shouldn't nitpick things on the show but there is no way Jill would be assigned to the case of someone who had been involved in her previous cases.

The most I have ever liked Seth is when he said "why did say I say otter?" and did his little handclapping thing. 

• Love 3

I use to watch another law show called Century City. Great premises. Got the ax after a handful of episodes.

I have to disagree.  I recall Century City.  The premise was lawyers of the future argue science-fiction like cases in front of holographic judges.  It was ridiculous and terrible. 

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, greekmom said:

can see this getting the ax from network. I u

It was just renewed for season 2. eta I am apparently inncorect!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

Anna Devere Smith is criminally underused on this show. Her one speech blew everyone else out of the water. 

And that’s not to disparage Hope Davis who really was great with this story. Jill is such an excellent character and so wholly drawn with so few episodes. I loved her conflict and her ability to find compassion for someone she personally had issues with.

Kate Littlejohn is perfect. She has such a commitment to justice that is so clear. I’m looking forward to when it will eventually be challenged. 

My favourite animals are raccoons so I would have been all over that red panda business. 

• Love 1

I really liked that episode, all of the subplots worked well. Its still not an amazing show by any means, but I am glad that its getting a season 2. 

I enjoyed seeing the two sides switch positions for the week, and Jill's interactions with the accused were really interesting. I liked them both getting some perspective, and seeing things from the others the others side, and how both their jobs mean to them. It was a good use of the whole concept of being from the perspective of both sides of the legal system, and how both sides have flaws, but are important to get justice when its possible. 

Kate Littlejohn really is excellent, and you can really feel her passion. 

It was just renewed for season 2.

Where did you read this?  I've tried Google and I can't find any source that confirms this to be the case.  

Hope Davis, Anna Deavere Smith and Ben Shenkman deserve to be on a better show.  Susannah Flood deserves a spin off! 

3 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Where did you read this?  I've tried Google and I can't find any source that confirms this to be the case.  

Hope Davis, Anna Deavere Smith and Ben Shenkman deserve to be on a better show.  Susannah Flood deserves a spin off! 

My bad I could have sworn I read it in the edia thread here but I must have hallucinated it.

I’ve been slowly catching up on this show, but haven’t commented. This episode really annoyed me. The guy knew he was being a courier for drugs and the judge knew it. Comparing it to someone who finds drugs planted in his fast food bag? It’s sad that he’ll spend ten years in jail but he chose to commit a crime. There are many victims of drugs who don’t make the choice. 

The previous eoisode’s preachiness was much better done.

2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Nice! I would have so missed Kate Littlejohn!

A fun article from Bustle about her: Kate Littlejohn From 'For The People' Is The Cristina Yang Of The Series In All The Best Ways

• Love 3

Sandra goes the extra mile for a client when she goes up against the FBI and ends up in one of the most unexpected and compromising situations of her young career. Meanwhile, Roger assigns Kate, Seth and Leonard to work on a highly sensitive case after receiving a tip alleging that the governor of New York is trying to illegally sell a seat in the Senate.

I am so happy the show got renewed. Its great and deserves better ratings. Hopefully its finds new viewers over the summer when it comes to Netflix.

Then they should put it in the Thursday 10PM slot when HTGAWM ends like they should have done from the beginning.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, OtterMommy said:

The show has been renewed BUT it is not on the Fall Schedule.  It looks like it is going to be a mid-season replacement, again...

ABC Fall 2018-19 Schedule

I'm thinking they MAY have it replace HTGAWM after they end, to get the full TGIT stuff with Rhimes. Not that I think it's going to help the ratings for this show, but replace a lawyer show with another lawyer show is what I'm thinking they'll do. And they couldn't very well do it this season with Scandal AND Station 19.

Just now, Lady Calypso said:

I'm thinking they MAY have it replace HTGAWM after they end, to get the full TGIT stuff with Rhimes. Not that I think it's going to help the ratings for this show, but replace a lawyer show with another lawyer show is what I'm thinking they'll do. And they couldn't very well do it this season with Scandal AND Station 19.

I think you are probably right.  Part of it also might have been that giving Shonda 1+ nights a week, instead of just 1 night a week, didn't work as well as ABC had planned.  

While I'm still in shock this show was renewed, maybe the extra time before season 2 will give the show runners and writers time to work on some of the weak spots here.

(edited)

Between the refusing to unpack in her apartment and the panic attack at th hospital Sandra needs to see a therapist. It doesn’t make her interesting it makes me roll my eyes.

Every scene with Hope and Ben feels like it’s from a much better written and interesting show.

Seth is starting to grow on me, though that looks to change next week, his low key geeky humor amuses me. I enjoyed Leonard going a long with his theory that Kate had a secret office.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Between the refusing to unpack in her apartment and the panic attack at th hospital Sandra needs to see a therapist. It doesn’t make her interesting it makes me roll my eyes

I thought it was incredibly selfish of her to take the case, knowing that she would likely have a panic attack. If it weren't for the serendipity of Jay not having anything to do and the backlog/delay in getting CT scans, that client was more hampered by having Sandra defend him.

Hope/Ben -- yes, you're right. It's as if they tried to graft a different show onto this one. On the other hand, anything with Kate is gold. But I'm back to wishing that the pacing was less frenetic when it comes to the case(s) of the week. Well, if they renew this show that would be one major area of improvement.

• Love 1

I like the characters, a lot, but the story telling leaves a lot to be desired. No way 3 rookie AUSAs set up a sting on the governor of New York (nice rip off of Rod Blagojevich) without a whole lot of approvals from higher ups. There is also no way the top higher ups in both offices go totally off the grid like that for an entire day (few hours sure, but not the whole day, at least not without back-up) and there would have been MANY, MANY frantic phone calls to Ben (he'll always be Dr. Sacani to me, but whatever) or someone with more seniority. Maybe they try and get the lower level aides to flip (funny and well written), but no way do they go higher up the chain without a whole lot of cover.

On the other hand, I do like the interaction among these characters, who are interesting and well developed and t hen are written well. I hear that it is coming back and I hope they make the process a lot more realistic.

• Love 3

I still don't care about Sandra.. And if I'm honest other than hope Davis' character I don't care about any of the public defenders.. Had fun watching the prosecutors.. Still holding out hope for Leonard /Kate... Sometimes somebody just gets you. And they seem to get each other... Still think the cases need work.. But they're all interesting enough ppl for me to keep tuning in... 

OK, my desk is a mess.  So I understand not getting rid of the clutter you need to.  But the whole "I can't work in my office because I'm too special to clean" thing is getting old.  My boss used to flat out tell me it was time to get rid of the paper. And going into other offices because of her mess?  Sorry, that's above and beyond entitled.  Sandra and her drama and her issues are getting old.  

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Janie430 said:

OK, my desk is a mess.  So I understand not getting rid of the clutter you need to.  But the whole "I can't work in my office because I'm too special to clean" thing is getting old.  My boss used to flat out tell me it was time to get rid of the paper. And going into other offices because of her mess?  Sorry, that's above and beyond entitled.  Sandra and her drama and her issues are getting old.  

Everything about her is extra... I ffwd.. During her sad hospital story reveal because at the end of the day I didn't care why... 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Everything about her is extra... I ffwd.. During her sad hospital story reveal because at the end of the day I didn't care why... 

Also, I know losing a parent is hard but her reaction seemed crazy over the top because her mom died in a hospital. Does she react the same way to being in a car or a bus? With her probably but it’s annoying and not relatable.

• Love 3

I dont mean to downplay someones trauma, but Sandra was being so melodramatic about the hospital. I mean, dont a lot of people have bad memories of hospitals? And they manage to go to them when needs be, why is it such a massive trigger for her? Did it not occur to her that, as a lawyer, she would have to advice a client in a hospital at some point? Sandra just seems like a mess, and, to be honest, I expected more of her childhood trauma than just her being mom dead, given her many issues that seem to affect her life. 

I liked the cases this week, and Hope/Ben are a ton of fun. They really do seem like a totally different show when they have scenes together. I would almost watch a whole show about them quipping at each other and enjoying picking each others brains. 

I think I generally like the characters more than I like the story, or at least they make more sense. Which, honestly, I`ll usually take over a decent plot with lame characters. 

• Love 1

I'd like Hope and Ben to remain platonic friends because that's normal life, but no. Can't possibly have a TV show without complicated romantic subplots. Even though we already have those among the younger staff.

I echo everyone's impatience with Sandra. Poor Allison is tainted by association. (That and her dreary breakup with Seth. Yawn.)

In general, the DAs are much more interesting and fun to watch. Kate continues to steal every scene she's in.

On 5/16/2018 at 9:03 AM, AriAu said:

I like the characters, a lot, but the story telling leaves a lot to be desired. No way 3 rookie AUSAs set up a sting on the governor of New York (nice rip off of Rod Blagojevich) without a whole lot of approvals from higher ups. There is also no way the top higher ups in both offices go totally off the grid like that for an entire day (few hours sure, but not the whole day, at least not without back-up) and there would have been MANY, MANY frantic phone calls to Ben (he'll always be Dr. Sacani to me, but whatever) or someone with more seniority. Maybe they try and get the lower level aides to flip (funny and well written), but no way do they go higher up the chain without a whole lot of cover.

On the other hand, I do like the interaction among these characters, who are interesting and well developed and t hen are written well. I hear that it is coming back and I hope they make the process a lot more realistic.

It's like they used the transcripts to write this script, so lazy.  I worked for that fool, had my computer seized, had to produce hundreds of emails, I didn't need to relive that mess.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Finally caught up on this episode, and it may be my favorite of the series so far. Watching it, I felt like I finally got the vibe the writers are going for. The dynamic between Kate, Seth and Leonard was fun. That felt like a real-life workplace team-up.

I'd like Jay to have more to do. I like that actor, but they don't seem to know what to do with the character.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

Sandra defends a hydrologist accused of spying for the Chinese government, but the similarities between this and a former case she lost has her confidence shaken. Meanwhile, Jay faces his fears and goes up against Kate in a case involving a PTA president accused of selling drugs to students; and Allison receives a tempting proposition from her wine-forger client and Leonard reaches out to Kate for advice that culminates with a surprising confession.

I've never been a britt roberson fan... But I doubt that anyone who may have been considered for the role  could've made me like the character of  Sandra Bell... Super intense... Breaking toasters by accident and microwaves on purpose.. Ugh I hope over the summer they re-tool the character and I hope britt decides to not shout so much in court next season... And  Allison seems to be around only to give this broken lil girl a nice pep talk.. So still basically the black best friend... Yuck... Jay and Kate's escapade was fun.. I'm warming up to Seth... But this was all just preamble for Leonard and Kate it was so sad... I'm really no shipper but those two.. Something about their collective lack of emotional maturity is mesmerizing.. Kate showed a glimmer when she finally said she'd miss him.. And he in turn showed a glimpse when he asked her to stay... And she looked absolutely gutted outside on the street... Looking fwd to see how it gets resolved if at all next season 

• Love 5

Not a bad finale. Actually - for a Shondland show, it was kind of a muted finale.

Kate is a gem. Susannah Flood is quite good in this role. And she has chemistry with the whole cast. I particularly love the dynamic between Kate and Leonard (he's not really leaving NYC, is he?)

Would love to know more about Jay, but then there's always one character on a Shondaland show who gets short shrift - at least initially. Hoping that will change in season 2.

I hope over the summer they re-tool the character and I hope britt decides to not shout so much in court next season... And  Allison seems to be around only to give this broken lil girl a nice pep talk.. So still basically the black best friend... Yuck... 

Amen to all of this. Sandra is the only character who does nothing for me. She reminds me of Grey's Anatomy's Meredith - i.e., the boring center of the show. 

• Love 4

Sandra is awful. Every other "young" character is able to convey some sense of maturity and control during court and other professional moments but either the way the character is written or performed makes her seem young and immature all of the time. The yelling and nearly angry style of delivery in court this week is a good example; it's someone trying to seem authoritative rather than someone being authoritative. I would have loved to have cut her plot completely and focused more on the school plot, Leonard's decision and get anything more from Jill and Roger.

Kate is a treasure. She should be the awkward centre of this show. She's actually grown up over the course of the season while still feeling very Kate. She's being more open, willing to admit that she isn't always on the winning side, is good to her coworkers and is still ambitious. Plus, she's got the healthiest love life going on at the moment. I loved that she was open to Jay's theory and changed tack once it was clear something was rotten with the accusation.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/23/2018 at 8:15 AM, Gillian Rosh said:

I particularly love the dynamic between Kate and Leonard (he's not really leaving NYC, is he?)

There are probably three options for Knox: he changes his mind and doesn't leave, he leaves but is unhappy and returns to NY after 1-2 episodes, or he steps in some kind of political/legal shit and the offer is withdrawn. Any of those will serve to make things even more awkward between him and Kate since she's now revealed how much he means to her. Which is the point, right?

I agree about how boring and insubstantial Sandra is. I don't buy her as driven, ambitious, clever or even as an adult. Plus she has ugly bed linens.

It was nice that the scene of the morning meeting at Roger's office showed other staff members at the table. Hope sometimes seems to have no employees except the newbie three.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

When they showed Sandra’s empty bed I assumed she was going to be sleeping on the floor because of some childhood trauma that means she doesn’t sleep in beds. I really can’t stand her.

The mom’s case was based on on this real life case that is so messed up.

When it comes to her I feel like some writer cooked up the character with all sorts if traits they thought would be endearing or interesting.... Driven..  Dogged... Tragic backstory... All sorts of quirks...  But None of it works... I've only enjoyed her when she was up against or acted besides Leonard... And that one scene on the bench with Allison... Which incidentally was like the only time Allison wasn't propping  her up 

• Love 3
(edited)

intriguing episode...not at all what I expected. I find the characters interesting and the cases less interesting, so seeing a character driven episode was fine by me.

I agree that they want Sandra to be Meredith Grey but the writing is just making her uncomfortably odd and they have to keep telling us or having others tell us how excellent she is. I always remember from school that you are supposed to show us and not tell us and her acting is so offputting and/or the writing is so weak that they need to keep telling us since they sure as hell ain't showing us.

Jay is clearly not as smart as the rest of the crew and the attempt to show him as street smart by catching that the principal slipped up was like something out of  Encyclopedia Brown (ok, Im, dating myself).

The Kate/Leonard was truly not expected and that actress is acting the hell out of that character. I am not sure what she is feeling other than being thrown off balance and neither does she...which is great. Her bulging eyes work well for this quirky character.

or he steps in some kind of political/legal shit and the offer is withdrawn.

Or Senator Mama Knox gets into trouble that makes him toxic

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, AriAu said:

intriguing episode...not at all what I expected. I find the characters interesting and the cases less interesting, so seeing a character driven episode was fine by me.

I agree that they want Sandra to be Meredith Grey but the writing is just making her uncomfortably odd and they have to keep telling us or having others tell us how excellent she is. I always remember from school that you are supposed to show us and not tell us and her acting is so offputting and/or the writing is so weak that they need to keep telling us since they sure as hell ain't showing us.

Jay is clearly not as smart as the rest of the crew and the attempt to show him as street smart by catching that the principal slipped up was like something out of  Encyclopedia Brown (ok, Im, dating myself).

The Kate/Leonard was truly not expected and that actress is acting the hell out of that character. I am not sure what she is feeling other than being thrown off balance and neither does she...which is great. Her bulging eyes work well for this quirky character.

Or Senator Mama Knox gets into trouble that makes him toxis

OMG - I'll put a date on myself too.....I loved EB.  Thanks for the happy thought Ariau

• Love 4
On 5/23/2018 at 12:06 PM, biakbiak said:

When they showed Sandra’s empty bed I assumed she was going to be sleeping on the floor because of some childhood trauma that means she doesn’t sleep in beds. I really can’t stand her.

OMG, me too. I expected to find out that she not only lives out of her duffel bag, but sleeps in it too. She also looked like she was going to have another panic attack or meltdown while prepping for her case. I called her selfish in a previous episode, here she is again going without sleep (working on an appeal) while in the midst of an entirely different case. It's a good thing they keep telling us over and over what a great lawyer she is, otherwise I'd pity any client that got her. I also wish it wasn't a foregone conclusion that she would win (pitting her up against someone who's not Knox or Littlejohn) which also made her shrillness in court even more unbelievable. Or as @vibeology said so much better:

On 5/23/2018 at 9:47 AM, vibeology said:

The yelling and nearly angry style of delivery in court this week is a good example; it's someone trying to seem authoritative rather than someone being authoritative.

I totally agree that Kate has become the center of the show for me. I really wish they would do more with Alison but I was soooo happy with her choice.

It was interesting that Jay said he had a phobia of florescence due to Kate's sticky notes, but Leonard gifted her with silver (not florescent but also distinctive) binder clips. The Leonard/Kate friendship is something I hope is explored further.

When Sandra was told she was "worthy" I went--ugh, don't encourage her! To me she's the weak spot of the show -- I agree with @UNOSEZ that her character should be re-tooled if not excised altogether.

Kate is very much the MVP for me too.

I enjoyed this episode, and was impressed with how the Radiohead song was woven in and out of the final scenes - I've liked the use of music throughout the season.

• Love 3

I was moved by the scene where Kate opened up to Sandra when they were squaring off against each other this season. I'd like to see an awkward friendship develop between them.

My issue with Sandra is the same one that I have with Leonard. They are one note. Leonard is the self-centered striver, and Sandra is the earnest protector. They need more to them. I think the actors may have to blamed here though, because I think one could argue that Kate wasn't given any more latitude in her character, but the actress figured out how to make that happen. All of the older actors on this show (VCH, ADS, the head DA, and head Public Defender) are fantastic.

It's refreshing to see a show where Public Defenders are neither sleazy nor incompetent. I'm surprised at how many shows get away with demeaning their profession considering they are who the average Joe/Joanna watching would have to turn to if they found themselves arrested.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

I was moved by the scene where Kate opened up to Sandra when they were squaring off against each other this season. I'd like to see an awkward friendship develop between them.

My issue with Sandra is the same one that I have with Leonard. They are one note. Leonard is the self-centered striver, and Sandra is the earnest protector. They need more to them. I think the actors may have to blamed here though, because I think one could argue that Kate wasn't given any more latitude in her character, but the actress figured out how to make that happen. All of the older actors on this show (VCH, ADS, the head DA, and head Public Defender) are fantastic.

It's refreshing to see a show where Public Defenders are neither sleazy nor incompetent. I'm surprised at how many shows get away with demeaning their profession considering they are who the average Joe/Joanna watching would have to turn to if they found themselves arrested.

^^^This.  Yes.  I've worked for state government attorneys for over 25 years.  All different agencies and I find that these attorneys, (who will probably not make more than $65k a year) are hard working and extremely competent.  I'm the first stop on the resume review for hiring and I'm fascinated at how skilled they are and their rankings at top notch law schools.  Granted for many (most) this job is a resume builder and then after 5 years, they leave and go make mid 6 figures.  But while they're here, they give us their undivided attention and loyalty to their client.

Also:  the guest chairs in Littlejohn's office would NOT be at an angle.  They would be straight on perpendicular to the desk.  She is a linear person.  posting for a friend ;)

ETA:  my posts were merged.  

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 4

Believe me, any friendship[ for either of these 2 characters will be awkward and now it is exponentially awkwarder. Not a bad thing, since I like the characters on this show, but just a fact.

By the way, I went to law school and very few of the people at the top of the class were as awkward as Kate or the rest. Most were more like Leonard, with personality (not all good) swagger coming in and even more after making law review and honors etc.

Sandra comes across as more unstable than passionate a lot of times, with her super frantic courtroom speeches and many ticks and childhood traumas. 

I actually like that, for a show like this, its relatively chill, as opposed to a lot of the Shondraland style "Young Professionals at High Stakes Job" shows. Not that I dont like those (I've seen every episode ever of HTGAWM) too, but this show is more low key, about the cases and how the lawyers try to work them, with some forays into their personal lives and issues. Really, Sandra is the most Shondaland of all the protagonists, with her super neurotic tendencies, love of passionate speeches, and being so "I just try SO HARD" affect. Most of the rest of the cast have issues, but seem to be mostly professional, and arent really the type to go screw around in a broom closet or something. No shooting in the courthouse yet, no pregnancies, no long long mothers. Just lawyer stuff. 

• Love 2