Type keyword(s) to search

For The People - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ugh seriously? I can't remember any series I've seen Brit Robertson in where her lead character has been likeable.. And god knows there's been a few. I do not get the obsession with her.

• Love 1

Set in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (a.k.a. “The Mother Court”), the new Shondaland series follows six talented young lawyers working on opposite sides of the law and handling the most high-profile and high-stakes federal cases in the country. These lawyers will be put to the test both personally and professionally as their lives intersect in and out of America’s most prestigious trial court.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 4:05 PM, doram said:

Ugh, just found out that Robertson is replacing a WOC. Sign me out. 

Yeah I didn't like this either. I thought they were replacing Britne Oldford with Jasmin Savoy Brown but JSB got the best friend role. And after watching the pilot, its probably what they should have done. She very alluring and completely shined in every scene she was in.

Britt Robertson was cool though but I still did not like that decision.

All these shows have the exact same look and feel and therefore they have gotten boring and repetitive. I saw the commercials for this and I rolled my eyes. I can't even list the common themes used here that run from show to show (super quick talking, sexual innuendo, the competitive rivalry, the win at all costs attitude for some). I don't think I can watch this one. Not compelling.

• Love 2

This show surprised the hell out of me. I expected it to be horrible. Lots of fellow tv watchers described it as DOA. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Very likable cast with Jasmin Savoy Brown as Allison stealing the show for me. Also a big fan of Susannah Flood as Kate and Rege Jean-Page as Leonard. The cast has a natural chemistry with each other, the script was well written and the pilot was extremely well done. I was pretty riveted from the opening scene and it forced me to pay attention

Britt Robertson as the lead was somewhat of the weak link but still acceptable I guess. I know they re-casted the lead, which I was happy about, and I originally thought Jasmin Savoy Brown was going to be the lead and I would have really loved that.

Trailer with the original cast: 

Either way I'm in for the season. I hope it does well and lasts a couple of seasons.

Edited by doLLish
  • Love 5

Was Lyndon Smith in the pilot? In work so can't watch the trailer but could have sworn I'd seen her.

i don't know if I can tolerate another Britt Robertson led show. She ruined both The Secret Circle and Life Unexpected for me. It's not so much the actress as it is the writers inability not to make her a Mary Sue.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

i don't know if I can tolerate another Britt Robertson led show. She ruined both The Secret Circle and Life Unexpected for me. It's not so much the actress as it is the writers inability not to make her a Mary Sue.

Oh yes. I dislike her a lot. I was surprised though that it was pretty accurate. FPDs do have duty days, they do get thrown in like that... they could very well get a terrorist case... and she lost. In the Federal system the FPD are the best criminal defense lawyers but they always lose. The reason... the gov't gets to pick and choose the cases they bring federally so they get winner cases or they don't bring them. It is hard for new FPDs to accept. 

And it had Evie from the Leftovers!

But I don't think I will watch it. Too much network type unrealism (like the AUSA and FPD that were dating).

I didn’t mind the main actress.  Then again I hate the concept of tropes and are more offended when people call characters Mary Sues then when they are written as them UNLESS they are badly badly written as them.  And I blame the writers more then the actor and let’s face it more likely actresses.  

Now the pilot itself was....not as god awful as I thought it would be.  This is so very not my type of show and I will probably quit it when my shows start but it’s not horrible.  I think the concept has merit.  Young lawyers trying to make a name for themselves with varying skill, ambition and other attributes go agaves has other with their bosses who have both been shaped and beaten down by the system.  

Not really my kind of show...but it was ok.

• Love 1

The six young lawyers are even more determined to bring home wins and prove they are worthy of The Mother Court, as they tackle their second round of cases. Jay must set aside his personal feelings as he defends a client with controversial beliefs, and Sandra’s idealism leads to an important lesson from Ms. Krissman.

This didn't grab me, but that's not unusual for a pilot. None of the characters felt fully realized (again, it's the pilot, so I'll cut the writers some slack). I'll give it another few episodes to see if it comes alive for me.

On a shallow note, Rege-Jean Page wears the hell out of a suit! Damn!

• Love 2

Well I'm glad the show didn't reward britt robersons character for her recklessness... I deff enjoyed the prosecutor team more save for Seth he was blegh on wheat toast.. The defense I enjoyed hope Davis and Jasmin savoy brown... I really enjoyed the dynamic between Rege-Jean page and Susannah flood.. I hope they stay good friends.. I'll keep watching as long as they don't sabotage RGP or SF... 

the show wasn't on my radar until i read that anna devere smith was in the cast, so i tuned in. not nearly enough of her, but i like both hope davis and ben shenkman. and, unlike many here, i loved brit robertson in "life unexpected," so i'll probably stick around for a few more episodes. 

• Love 5

No way in hell was I going to watch this, then I heard three words: Anna Deaveare Smith. That got me in for the pilot and I saw enough to come back next week. I hadn't realized Hope Davis was in it! Great cast and I like the tone. 

• Love 5

I...enjoyed this more than I expected.  I don't know who anyone (other than Anna Devere Smith and Hope Davis) is, so I didn't come in not liking anyone based on casting.  And, to be fair, I've seen these characters before.  But, still, it kept me interested.  It also helped that the terrorist case is very similar, if not based on, a similar case in my area a few years ago.  This has not been the best TV year for me, so maybe my bar is low--but this one made my list (at least for the time being).

• Love 1

There are some decent actors, but the show itself is eye rolling.  I understand fully that this type of show is not meant to be realistic, but I think my main question would be: Why would you have two of your most inexperienced attorneys first chair what appeared to be a prominent terrorism trial?  And I'm fairly certain naive, but good hearted lawyer's entire line of questioning to the park ranger who arrested her client would have been stopped the moment she started testifying in question form.  I also tend to think smug jerk lawyer's calling of the ship captain as a witness would never have gotten off the ground since the guy appeared to have no relevant testimony and existed solely to bait naive, but good hearted lawyer into her rant.  

• Love 4

I have a soft spot for legal dramas so will be sticking around. For whatever reason, the absurdities in the legal system as portrayed on TV don't get under my skin the same way medical absurdities do.

Some characters were compelling right off the bat but hopefully the stragglers will eventually settle into their roles and develop some personality. I do hope this won't be the kind of show that fires, hires, kills, or otherwise churns its cast.

I'm drawn to whip smart know-it-alls on TV who do things I can't, so am looking forward to watching Kate kick some butt.

Off the top of my head, I'm not familiar with any of the actors' past work except Ben Shenkman from Royal Pains. Very different role for him here!

• Love 3

I could barely make it through. The plotlines were ludicrous. I liked some of the characters, but the suspension of disbelief required is above average for shows I watch. I don't plan to watch this again.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 1

Dr. Scarcani from Royal Pains!  I always enjoy that actor and would love to see a show with him as the lead, or at least with a larger role.

The super-organized and super-smart female attorney reminded me of Paris Gellar from Gilmore Girls, with a little less snark and meanness. 

• Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:09 PM, txhorns79 said:

Why would you have two of your most inexperienced attorneys first chair what appeared to be a prominent terrorism trial?

Indeed.  My first case FOR THE PEOPLE was a kid who got popped for a broken tail-light and forgot he had a roach in the ashtray.

I'll watch Grey's Anatomy, Esq. though.  The "opposing counsel" gimmick is different and interesting.  Ben Shenkman, Hope Davis, Anna Devere Smith and Vondie Curtis-Hall.

• Love 7
On 3/15/2018 at 12:41 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

The super-organized and super-smart female attorney reminded me of Paris Gellar from Gilmore Girls, with a little less snark and meanness. 

Thank you! I spent the whole show thinking the same thing, and actually came to this board to make that comment! 

• Love 2

Meh. Another bunch of 22-year-olds who are beautiful AND know everything about the law thrown into huge trials on their first day at work. No doubt they’ll be coupling off any day now. Oh the conflict!! ???

But I do love Anna Deavere Smith and Vondie Curtis-Hall. 

• Love 3
On 3/14/2018 at 9:28 AM, preeya said:

For me, I watched because of Hope Davis. Loved the baseball metaphors. Willie Mays was my boyhood idol.

Even as a huge baseball fan - my username is based on my team - I thought they were clunky, contrived, and annoying.

I enjoyed the pilot and I'll "continue watching until I don't", though, as you said.  

The minority actors were all light-skinned (or multiracial - that's my guess as another multiracial person).  That to me felt really weird.  They gave Jasmin some really bad dialogue in the first half.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Even as a huge baseball fan - my username is based on my team - I thought they were clunky, contrived, and annoying.

Yeah I hope it's one of those character quirks that writers put in the pilot to try to force personality into a character that quickly goes away in early eps because they realize it isn't needed.

• Love 1

Ughhhh for Sandra so damn self righteous and rude.   Ur homegirl  lets you stay at her swanky pad... I'm guessing rent free as its her parents place.. Gives you a closet... And you just keep ur stuff in a bag.  And have the nerve to put it back in the bag talking about I like it how I like it??..  Baby girl you can like paying rent for some rat infested studio apartment then..  And then her case.. Which she got by giving her work to someone else... Man ima stop now before I get real hot.   

Thankfully the show also has Ms.  Littlejohn who was delightful again. Great with annoying Seth and even putting up with self involved and gleefully oblivious Mr. Knox  those two and their kinda friendly  relationship 

• Love 6

Okay, Sandra's a neurotic twit who's terrified of unpacking, but even when traveling, nobody shoves a full length winter coat into a duffel bag.

My other main takeaway is that I don't like Seth. No legitimate reason.

• Love 1

In order i like... Littlejohn... Knox.... Hope Davis' character... Ben Shankman's character... Anna Deveare Smith's character that's it.. Kinda Meh on Jasmin Savoy Brown's character... If only  because her judgment seems lacking.. Her bf was an annoying pushover who seems super passive aggressive and her "bestie" is a self righteous workaholic with a huge chip on her shoulder who makes seems to internalize everything and is also smug.. I have no feelings for Wessam Keesh's character.. And I think I've been clear on where I stand about Sandra and Seth

• Love 2

Yeah, I get them trying to explain why Sandra was being a twit about not using the closet (yes, show, thank you for making it blatantly clear that Sandra has been evicted before as a child and it still hurts her), but she was still being a twit about it.

Yeah, I was ok with Seth until he told Allison about feeling second fiddle and not liking it. Sorry that your manhood's been threatened, but maybe you should have brought this up earlier in your relationship. 

Kate, on the other hand, is great. I like her no-nonsense attitude and how headstrong she is. She better not be developing an interest in Seth in the long-term. This is still a Shondaland show, so I expect almost everyone to hook up at some point. I'd be totally fine if she didn't. 

Jay....something about him both bugs me and intrigues me with this guy. I can't even explain it; I don't know whether I dislike him or I really like him. I'm liking that I'm indecisive about his character. 

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Kate, on the other hand, is great. I like her no-nonsense attitude and how headstrong she is. She better not be developing an interest in Seth in the long-term. This is still a Shondaland show, so I expect almost everyone to hook up at some point. I'd be totally fine if she didn't. 

Dear Beebo in the great blue sky don't let that happen I know opposite attracts and charming handsome extra nice white dudes are TV gold.. But please not with Kate.. Put him back with JSB make him single.. Bring someone else on.. Just not those two.. Let Kate be great.. Let her be best buds with obnoxious Knox and let that be it. 

• Love 5

Sandra and Kate go head-to-head on a high-profile case involving a young woman accused of leaking classified information, but they learn to find common ground in their fight for justice and pursuit of the common good. Allison struggles to make a case for her client as the courts look to new technology to avoid bias, and Leonard seeks professional legitimacy at the cost of a personal relationship.