Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
DollEyes

S26: Tonya Harding: Whyyyyyy!?

Recommended Posts

Why oh why is she on the show? I guess because she’s such a freaking drama queen. Ugh. Hope she goes soon. First night would be awesome. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Well that was disappoointing.  She should have gone home, well honestly, she should not have ever been cast.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I thought she was clunky.  And damn, she looks older than Allison Janney who has to have 20 years on her.

sorry not sorry.  Nice to see she’s still making up stories.  Oh, and apparently she pretended to not know who Mirai was.  Lying ass.  Mirai actually landed a triple axle at the Olympics, and was the first female to have 8 fully rotated triple jumps ratified.  Other than 100 years ago in 1991, Harding averaged 3-4 per program. 

Liar.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Hey now. Some of us graduated college in 1991 ;)

I saw Tonya fall on her ass 99 years ago, in 1991.   

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, lilly6 said:

Allison Janney is 11 years older than Tonya.

Really?  I just saw 10 things I hate about you (1999) and she looked in her forties there.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

In Tonya's day, what she did was spectacular. Remember, the sport keeps evolving. What Mirai does now wasn't commonly done then. And Tonya WAS the first American woman to land the triple axel in competition. And she did it twice. Look, I'm not defending her for her off-the-ice antics, but skating wise?  She did what very few women have done. The triple axel is incredibly difficult for a woman to do. It's a big deal in the skating world. She deserves credit for that. 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

Can I confess a thing? I have never been able to tell the difference between skating jumps, they all look exactly the same to me. I’ve watched enough skating to know it’s about what edges of the blade you’re taking off of, and what direction you land, etc, and that makes some way harder than others, and all that, but the only thing my brain processes is, “glide, SPIIIIIIIIINS, land!” (Or fall on your ass)

I also can’t tell triples from quads when the guys do them. (I can tell doubles from triples, but after 3 my brain just does, “ooooh, spiiiiiins”)

Anyway, that tangent to say, its hard for me to be impressed by fancy jumps even though I logically know they’re harder. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

Really?  I just saw 10 things I hate about you (1999) and she looked in her forties there.  

Yes. Tonya is 47 and Allison is 58 according to their wikis

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, LadyNebula said:

In Tonya's day, what she did was spectacular. Remember, the sport keeps evolving. What Mirai does now wasn't commonly done then. And Tonya WAS the first American woman to land the triple axel in competition. And she did it twice. Look, I'm not defending her for her off-the-ice antics, but skating wise?  She did what very few women have done. The triple axel is incredibly difficult for a woman to do. It's a big deal in the skating world. She deserves credit for that. 

She was credited for it.  She was scored accordingly when she did well.

She rarely did well after 1991.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

"I was the best skater in the world and I had it taken away from me "

Oh, boo-hoo.shut up and go away.  I'm sick of all the re-writing of history.  She must have the best agent in the world with all the publicity she's been getting in the past year.

Some of us remember, and we're not buying it.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

Heh.  Over here on the other side of the village (where apparently I and my fellow idiots hang out), I just realized why this forum is subtitled "Whyyyyyyy!?"  I see what you did there ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Can I confess a thing? I have never been able to tell the difference between skating jumps, they all look exactly the same to me. I’ve watched enough skating to know it’s about what edges of the blade you’re taking off of, and what direction you land, etc, and that makes some way harder than others, and all that, but the only thing my brain processes is, “glide, SPIIIIIIIIINS, land!” (Or fall on your ass)

I also can’t tell triples from quads when the guys do them. (I can tell doubles from triples, but after 3 my brain just does, “ooooh, spiiiiiins”)

Anyway, that tangent to say, its hard for me to be impressed by fancy jumps even though I logically know they’re harder. 

Although I can't generally tell the difference either, I do know that any type of axel jump adds a half a rotation. Thus, a triple axel is 3 1/2 rotations, whereas other triple jumps (salchow, lutz, etc.) are 3 rotations. It's easier for women to do 3 rotations than 3 1/2. Same thing with men and quads.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, backformore said:

"I was the best skater in the world and I had it taken away from me "

Oh, boo-hoo.shut up and go away.  I'm sick of all the re-writing of history.  She must have the best agent in the world with all the publicity she's been getting in the past year.

Some of us remember, and we're not buying it.

Her agent actually dumped her.  She wanted media to sign something saying they would pay a fine if they questioned her about the whack.  She’s an asshole. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Old lady here-In 1980, I had just got my skates back from getting new blades put on, was trying to land a triple jump and broke my collarbone when the blade fell off as I was landing. Got a good concussion as well. Never tried a triple ever again!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am glad for Tonya to get out there and perform.  We all deserve a second chance.  She has paid a BIG price for her skating history.  I am sure she is very nervous and scared of what people will say about her.   I support anyone that pulls up their bootstraps and gets out there and tries again.  YOU GO GIRL,  YOU GO TANYA !!!!!!!

Nothing is easy so hang in there girl.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

How could they make her even more orange than Michael Kors or Donald Trump?  Not a good color for her.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, XrystalPond said:

The axel is the easiest to identify, especially since many of the ladies and some of the men have little variation in their other jumps and edges. The Axel is the only jump where they face forward to go into it. 

Yes, that is the only jump I can identify because of that (going face forward into it).

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

I wonder how the other skaters in this season feel about her presence on the show.  Have they made any comments?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2018/05/06/adam-rippon-dancing-stars/585352002/

Pretty icy

Quote

“It was nice to see that she had a moment,” Rippon said of Harding’s generally well-received performance on Week 1, “but it’s also important to remember that skating wasn’t taken away from her – that she was banned because she was part of a bad thing. I don’t think that we should forget that.”

Quote

“I’ve interacted with Tonya very limitedly,” he said. “I’m not avoiding her but I’m not not avoiding her.”

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I just feel that Tonya is the turd that won’t flush.  Hardly anyone wants her around.  

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I just feel that Tonya is the turd that won’t flush.  Hardly anyone wants her around.  

LMAO! Perfect analogy!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Look, 1994 was a long time ago.  It happened, move on.  But she is the one who won’t move on.  When Nancy Kerrigan’s father died, of course this dirt bag had to comment, knowing how Nancy didn’t want her name in her mouth ever.  That was some lowdown shit, crawling out of the cracks like a cockroach to opine how you understood how Nancy, who lost her father and whose brother was implicated in his death, was feeling because you, TONYA had lost your father too.  Just fuck right off.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, fuck Tonya Harding and fuck dwts for exalting scum like her. The longer she stays on, the madder I get.

I must have no life LOL.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

So skaters are allowed to dance with her but not skate with her?

She had a lifetime ban from competing in USFSA events, I think.  But it’s moot, because because a 47 yo out of shape skater isn’t going to be invited on any tours.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Skaters are not forbidden either to skate or to dance with her. She was banned from amateur competition by her skating federation, so she could no longer represent a club in national (United States Figure Skating Association) competitions, or her country in international (International Skating Union) competitions; in the days of very prolific professional competitions in the mid-to-late 90s, she could theoretically have skated in anything, with anyone, but the other skaters refused to participate if she was included. So she was effectively "banned" from those too (I'm sure there were some promoters who would have been only too happy to set up some farce of a pro competition where she skated against Nancy Kerrigan, but of course Nancy would never go for that in a million years).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I have never believed the competition was rigged.  Now I know it is.  At this point, I don’t care who wins because I won’t be watching.  SO disappointed in ABC!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Nobody “took” anything from her.  She was in charge of her own destiny, and instead of living a clean life and competing fairly, she chose to cavort with (and marry) thugs and criminals.  Instead of worrying about whether SHE was good enough or had done all she could to excel, she chose to plot and scheme with her band of thugs to injure someone.  That looks like throwing away your talent AND opportunity to me, not having it “taken” from you.

Edited by Pache100
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

Let’s talk about the six figure payout she got for that blecherous wedding night video.  Let’s talk about the money she made on America’s stupidest criminals.  Sure she didn’t get top tier money, but it would have been a lot more than her minimum wage grubstake she earned on her own.   Let’s talk about the money she spent on a nose job.  Boob job.

But not one thin dime spent on education.  Learning a trade.  So now poor old Tonya is all wrinkled and leathery before her time, toiling in the sun with first generation immigrants who use manual labor as a starting off point.  Twenty four years later those immigrants are either in better jobs, or are working to educate their kids.

This dumbass with all the opportunities she had is still doing manual labor.  Do I have any fucks to give?  Turns out no.   

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/1/2018 at 12:08 PM, Lovecat said:

Heh.  Over here on the other side of the village (where apparently I and my fellow idiots hang out), I just realized why this forum is subtitled "Whyyyyyyy!?"  I see what you did there ;)

Thanks. Contrary to Hollywood's opinion, Tonya Harding wasn't /isn't the victim, by a long shot. Tonya may have had a bad childhood, but that wasn't Nancy Kerrigan's fault. Tonya brought her fate on herself; Nancy didn't. As far as I'm concerned, Tonya Harding doesn't even deserve to be on this show, let alone in the finals.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/30/2018 at 6:22 PM, Runningwild said:

Why oh why is she on the show? I guess because she’s such a freaking drama queen. Ugh. Hope she goes soon. First night would be awesome. 

She's good

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/7/2018 at 6:34 PM, niteingale said:

I am glad for Tonya to get out there and perform.  We all deserve a second chance.  She has paid a BIG price for her skating history.  I am sure she is very nervous and scared of what people will say about her.   I support anyone that pulls up their bootstraps and gets out there and tries again.  YOU GO GIRL,  YOU GO TANYA !!!!!!!

Nothing is easy so hang in there girl.

I agree 100 %

On 5/7/2018 at 7:00 PM, Jewlmc said:

What a Farce.

What was the "Farce" ? She danced very well. What farce ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

I agree 100 %

What was the "Farce" ? She danced very well. What farce ?

 

On 5/15/2018 at 11:10 PM, DollEyes said:

Thanks. Contrary to Hollywood's opinion, Tonya Harding wasn't /isn't the victim, by a long shot. Tonya may have had a bad childhood, but that wasn't Nancy Kerrigan's fault. Tonya brought her fate on herself; Nancy didn't. As far as I'm concerned, Tonya Harding doesn't even deserve to be on this show, let alone in the finals.

This is the farce.  ^^^

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Runningwild said:

 

This is the farce.  ^^^

 

Soooooo she should never be able to do anything to earn a living.  Maybe she should just move under a viaduct and live out her days in a homeless camp ?

Edited by stillhere1900 · Reason: spelling
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I believe in second chances, but more importantly, I believe in accepting responsibility for your actions. Until she does that, she gets no pass from me.

The funniest thing in her whole comeback, is while I, Tonya shed a light on the abuse she suffered, it also showed that she is remorseless and has re-written history to suit her needs. I don't think she got that part of the movie. It didn't paint her in a great light. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think she is the brightest bulb in the shed. She doesn't even seem to realize the movie was making fun of her. Anything to get her in the limelight is fine by her.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

 

Soooooo she should never be able to do anything to earn a living.  Maybe she should just move under a viaduct and live out her days in a homeless camp ?

No one is saying she shouldn’t be able to earn a living.  People are simply saying they don’t want to see her on TV.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

No one is saying she shouldn’t be able to earn a living.  People are simply saying they don’t want to see her on TV.  

 

On 5/15/2018 at 9:37 AM, Mu Shu said:

 

But not one thin dime spent on education.  Learning a trade.

 

How do you know this ?

17 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

No one is saying she shouldn’t be able to earn a living.  People are simply saying they don’t want to see her on TV.  

And a lot of people do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'll say this: at least SHE had fun out there dancing and knowing what people would think, no matter how justified the thoughts are from most of us.  

 

But until she stops making herself the victim in all this, I can't truly like her.   Own up to your part, then I'll really care.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Of course, she had fun. She's making a lot more money than she typically does, and she gets to be back in the limelight.

I do believe in second chances, but I'm also of the prime age for Tonya/Nancy memories. So like you, I just can't with Tonya's scrabbling after pity instead of owning up to her role. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

She has a whole hell of a lot of nerve to dance to "I Will Survive".  I would say that song should have been reserved for the one who actually, you know, survived the pipe attack to the knee. 

I'm not saying she deserves to rot in hell or be miserable the rest of her life.  But she did not "deserve" to be on this show (her words).  She "deserved" to be stripped of her celebrity status.

However, to give credit where it's due, I am 47 too and I can't do a cartwheel. She's still pretty damn athletic.  But she's not a star. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Now she can go back to dipping pine cones in beeswax to sell around Portland like the poor little match girl.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×