Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: Bettie Jo & Susan

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, sidka said:

My father died of a glioblastoma and I've taken courses in oncology to get a firm grasp of a variety of cancers and their behaviors. I have zero sympathy for cancer fakers. Just vitriol.

I hear ya, sister. Both of my parents died of cancer. 3 out of my 4 grandparents died of cancer. Two of my aunts have died from it, and a third aunt is currently dying of it. She is mentally handicapped, and I am her legal guardian, so I have to make all medical decisions. It's pure hell.

With all this in the family, I figure cancer is not an "if" for me - it's a "when". It hangs over my whole family like a dark cloud.

So I also have zero sympathy for cancer fakers. I don't care what delusional reason they have, it's sick and disgusting to lie about having cancer for any reason. Or any other disease, for that matter. I have no time for liars of any kind, but if there were a scale for "how bad is the lie", lying that you have cancer would be near the top for me.

We've heard some pretty crazy shit from people lying to Dr. Now about why they couldn't lose the weight - but Bettie Jo's lies are some of the worst. It's laughable when they say they "didn't have time" or they're "stressed" and all those usual stock excuses most patients use at one time or another, but lying about cancer is just despicable.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, Otter said:

she kept advertising meet and greets for a fee

No words. 

On last night's super-sizer, there was a "bonus" scene of Bettie Jo going out to dine with friends. During the car ride, the friend mentioned she was glad they were going to "conversate" (a word I never hear outside an episode of Judge Judy) and same said friend then counseled her over a large pizza and some item with "crispy chicken" to not divorce Josh after Bettie Jo said she'd had it with him. Idiot friend said it was just a "rough patch" and BJ should "work things out" with him.  

BJ's friends are no smarter than she. 

On 4/18/2018 at 10:56 PM, gardendiva said:

While watching this episode, I was struck by how really pretty Susan could be. If she styled that lovely hair into a style and eventually got the skin surgery to remove that waddle under her chin, she would be quite pretty. She has beautiful skin, a perfect nose and those blue eyes. I wish she could see that in herself. Maybe it would help motivate her.

I also thought Susan was pretty. Kind of annoying that Susan is the pretty and thin one and Betty Joe has the family and adorable baby. 

But Susan had very nice photo on her facebook page. Seems like she might be doing well. https://www.facebook.com/susan.farmer.1614

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Kaia40 said:

We actually studied this in my Psychology class in college.  From what I learned, even though it’s a mental illness, she is very aware of what she is doing. Just like serial killers have mental illnesses (Sociopaths, Psychopaths etc) they still are very aware of what they’re doing and it doesn’t excuse them for murdering.  With munchausens they are very good at manipulating just like Betti Jo.  They actually do things to make themselves sick and even go as far to look up the symptoms of whatever illness they are faking and fake the symptoms of that particular illness.  She’s a waste of space.  

I was thinking about this last night after I went to bed, and I think you're right--not about waste of space, although she may well be that, too (like Muhammad Ali, I got nothing against people I don't know personally.  Just kidding.  I'm the queen of judgment).  What persuaded me that she knew she was lying was that she didn't react to Dr. Now's accusation the way old Josh did.  He was outraged to the point of flouncing; she just sat there, and *she* was the one who was (putatively) being insulted.  She just sat there blankly, knowing that she couldn't prove anything.

• Love 7

Another issue that I see with Josh as well as some other family members is that they are so caught up in the pathology of the family dysfunction.  Wasn't it just recently that one of the experts said that when there is pathology within the family, the family members are so deep into it, that they just don't see it. I think the therapist try to shed some light to these patients, but, it's so deep and long standing.  

• Love 6

I don't have a very good memory these days, but didn't Susan have massive butt wings?  Were they removed on her original show?  Is she somehow cramming them into her compression u-trou?  Bettie Jo has some good ones, too, and I hope she manages to lose enough weight for skin-removal surgery if only to see those wings detached and weighed.

• Love 1

I have not read the live chat thread yet, but I'm imagining you guys had a field day with the hot dog scene!  Remember, BJ was pregnant and claimed the doctors told her not to diet during pregnancy?  So she sits on her bed, gorging on hot dogs!  Oh and how Josh held his in his fist?  

Yeah, right... doctors tell a 400-pound pregnant woman not to eat a healthy diet while she's pregnant.  Uh, no way.  I've heard of doctors telling obese women to try not to even gain during pregnancy.

Like the others, if she really has Munschausens, I worry about that baby.  She could really escalate fake illnesses onto him for more dramatic attention.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

I don't have a very good memory these days, but didn't Susan have massive butt wings?  Were they removed on her original show?  Is she somehow cramming them into her compression u-trou?  Bettie Jo has some good ones, too, and I hope she manages to lose enough weight for skin-removal surgery if only to see those wings detached and weighed.

No that was another woman who had a younger boyfriend and a daughter who too was "becoming "obese...

Edited by AVM
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, AVM said:
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

No that was another woman who had younger boyfriend and a daughter who too was becoming obese...

That was Charity with daughter Charly and mouth-breather meth'd-out-looking boyfriend who was the (much) younger brother of Charly's father.  As I recall, boyfriend was about 17 years younger than Charity and only a few years older than Charly.  Was his name Josh also?  I don't remember.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Mothra said:

Munchausen's is a mental illness, so I don't think she's all that conniving.  I checked WebMD to make sure it was a genuine mental disease, and boy did I hit a gold mine!  It said M. is a "factitious" disorder, so then I went to find out what that means.  Apparently there's a whole range of factitious disorders (serious mental disorder in which someone deceives others by appearing sick, by purposely getting sick or by self-injury) including Squalor Syndrome which I think I have!  Not really, but certainly some of these symptoms apply at one time or another:

Diogenes syndrome, also known as senile squalor syndrome, is a disorder characterized by extreme self-neglect, domestic squalor, social withdrawal, apathy, compulsive hoarding of garbage or animals, and lack of shame. Sufferers may also display symptoms of catatonia.

So if Bettie Jo has Munchausen's, she really can't help lying.  What I don't understand is if she believes she has/had cancer--she certainly persuaded her husband that she did.  I couldn't tell from WebMD whether the person with M. understands that she isn't really sick.

Regardless of whether she has Munchausen's though, those who commit crimes are prosecuted, nonetheless.  It's not a legal defense.  The do know the deference between right and wrong.  So, it's really her responsibility to seek help.  But, unless she really has to, I doubt it will happen. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Otter said:

After  BJ's first update I would check her FB until she was outright banned for fraud.  Obviously, her personal page from 2 years ago no longer exists but she kept advertising meet and greets for a fee, and for more money you could get "coaching"  That's okay, but only if you don't show up or do a thing after taking money from people.  No idea what happened after the ban, and know she has new pages.  Honestly, I think she's too simple to rip people off.  Not sure about Josh.  Who knows who the people are in their lives.  

I always liked Susan.  I always hated her mother.  

BJ's got a collection of sycophants on her page now who tell her what she wants to hear. I'm sure she sits on her asses all day and watches her page to delete negative comments as they come up. And, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to know that she was getting money on the side from a lot of these people because their checks just aren't cutting it...

If her coaching advice is based anything on her experience then she'll tell people to ignore their doctors, eat what they want, and to be as lazy as possible. 

As far as the Munchausen's, I think we just have to accept that there are bad people out there who do bad things and don't care.

Agreed on Susan and her mom. She's come a long way and I never would have imagined she would be so attractive underneath all of that, but there she is, quite pretty indeed!

• Love 9
13 hours ago, auntjess said:

I think I'd go to Whitney Thore's meet and greet, before Bettie Jo's.

No. Life's too short to be in presence of either of the idiots.  Both are manipulators and users.

A pox on them both! 

Oh wait, their weight is punishment enough. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Bunnygirl said:

I have another theory.  I think the reason Josh became so unhinged with Dr Now was because if she has cancer, then she needs him.  As we all know, Josh has an almost pathological fear of abandonment which we learned from the first episode.  So, as long as she’s fat, sick, and/or helpless, he’s relevant.  It’s co-dependency at its worst.  Someone should tell him he’s got a job for life, she’s not going anywhere.

also, my mom died of cancer. Bettie Jo is a POS.

First and most importantly, I’m so sorry for the loss of your Mom! ?

I want to punch Betti Jo in her fat disgusting ugly face and shes way too dumb to lie.  She never figured that Dr. Now would call the Oncologist!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Mothra said:

Susan carries all of her weight up front.  She had the large, low-hanging belly.  Compared to the rest of her, her butt was relatively small.  She also carried significant weight around her face and in her upper back which is often a sign of a hormonal imbalance.  

I'm not sure if Bettie Jo has butt wings or a butt shelf.  She's got a lot more junk in the trunk.  These two were the opposite extremes of how people carry weight. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Is anyone else able to watch Melissa’s update on OnDemand? I don’t see a thread. But I watched it last night instead of the BettieJo shitshow. I won’t spoil anyone. 

I noticed this yesterday while seaching On Demand, thought it was wrong. Thanks!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Therapists are very often not medical doctors. There are different types LCSW which is a licensed counselor social work and LPC is a professional counselor which is what it sounds like Lola is. These are normal and respectable credentials for the profession. That doesn’t guarantee she’s any good but she isn’t unqualified. 

I wasn’t intending to imply that she’s unqualified and I’m astonished that you inferred that from my post. I was pointing out her LPC status because a lot of us, myself included, on the live chat thread have been referring to her as “Dr Lola”.

I also wouldn’t expect her to be a medical doctor because most psychiatrists, at least in my area, limit their practices to prescribing medications rather than doing therapy. But I was interested to notice that she doesn’t currently have a PhD (although according to her bio, she’s working on it).

Edited by Miracle Maxie
LPC is the degree. KPC looks like a typo for fried chicken.
  • Love 1

I honestly feel that Josh and his mom believed Bettie Jo had cancer. Josh lashed out because he felt Dr. Now was attacking Bettie Jo without any foundation. And, not being the brightest crayon in the box, stormed out of the office. That said, U sincerely hope his mom is helping care for that poor baby.

On a more personal rant, both of these women had horrible teeth! 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Is anyone else able to watch Melissa’s update on OnDemand? I don’t see a thread. But I watched it last night instead of the BettieJo shitshow. I won’t spoil anyone

I have low hopes for this one.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I have low hopes for this one.

Me too. I was hoping when her first episode aired that she'd get rid of that cheating husband, but from the previews it looks like she still hasn't. Getting rid of him would be a quick way to lose 200 useless pounds!

Edited by Sasha888
grammar matters!
  • Love 8

I live for when Dr Now says:

"How y'all doing?"

"Mudder" (Mother)  Not dissin his accent, but rather it brings back fond memories of my "Fadder" who was also unable to properly pronounce 'th' because of his accent. 

He's so stinkin' cute. Even when he's reading someone the riot act he's adorable. 

Mouf breathin' Betti Jo. Lawd, she had an arsenal of excuses straight from the Under Achiever's handbook. Her poor little 5 pound baby friend was smothered in fat for 9 months because 'a doctor' told her she needed to eat more. Okay girl. I think you can still eat healthy and carry a baby. Lots of women manage to eat well, and this includes not shoving hotdogs into their pie hole.  For crying out loud, buy some real plates, get some greens, and some grilled chicken n' make a salad.  And what was in the big plastic bag that they were feeding to Preston? It looked like some kind of cheese puff or something. Yuck. 

Slacker Josh isn't any  better. Sure he's doing the heavy lifting, and taking care of Preston, but he's as complacent and mental vacant as Betti Jo. Seriously. How did these two function let alone raise a child together? Dr. Now is one perceptive cat, he not only called her out on the lies, but astutely assessed how little interest she had in being a fully functioning parent to her son. The lowest common type of life form are people like Betti Jo. A seriously loud "Fuck you" for faking a cancer diagnosis. 

Susan's depression was almost like another layer of fat around her. It was so heavy. I'd like to know if Susan had any friends or social contacts other than her Mom. It didn't seem like it.  Her Mom looked to be diabetic from all the wounds on her arms. If she keeps it up Susan will have to be her caregiver, and that would be horrendous for Susan. She'll never get a chance at having her own life, and independence.  The best thing she could do after she reaches her goal is to get a job, or go back to school, and GET OUT OF HER MOM'S HOUSE!

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Miracle Maxie said:

I wasn’t intending to imply that she’s unqualified and I’m astonished that you inferred that from my post. I was pointing out her LPC status because a lot of us, myself included, on the live chat thread have been referring to her as “Dr Lola”.

I also wouldn’t expect her to be a medical doctor because most psychiatrists, at least in my area, limit their practices to prescribing medications rather than doing therapy. But I was interested to notice that she doesn’t currently have a PhD (although according to her bio, she’s working on it).

I'm so sorry that I misunderstood what you were saying. I didn't associate the comment with people referring to her as Dr. Lola. Sorry about that. I know when we had to find a therapist for my daughter I had no idea what to look for. My first assumption was you want a doctor but as you pointed out, psychiatrists pretty much just prescribe medication. Then the alphabet soup of qualifications was completely new to me and was quite confusing for a while. The fact that many therapists do have their PhD and therefore are called Dr. just made it more confusing for the uninitiated. When I first started looking I assumed a doctor would be more qualified than "licensed counselor" so I thought maybe you thought the same thing. I'm sorry for the confusion. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 4
On 4/19/2018 at 1:33 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

Josh storming out of Dr. Now's office, complete with high pitched hysterics and door slamming, then telling us that he didn't need no doctor looking in his telescope for him to know Bettie Jo had cancer, has completely finished me. That is all.

I think he must have meant stethoscope, not microscope, which of course you listen into not look into, but whatever.

• Love 1
On 4/19/2018 at 7:59 AM, Kellyee said:

So 95% of Dr. Now's patients will gain most of the weight back. Given how expensive the surgery is, what is even the point?? These people are mentally ill, and clearly surgery isn't the answer. Bettie Jo is living proof of that. 

I was actually glad for Dr. Now to clarify that. I think we’ve gone back and forth on the boards whether that was the success rate for with or without the surgery, and I’m pretty sure Dr. Now said 600lb patients with the surgery only have a 5% success rate this episode, so I guess we have the answer.

On 4/19/2018 at 9:49 AM, Kellyee said:

Lots of people eat super healthy during pregnancy. I know a vegan who had a perfectly healthy pregnancy, and several vegetarians. It was just another excuse. She probably couldn't stick to Dr. Now's 1200 calorie diet while pregnant, but she could have eaten healthy. She is full of shit. 

I laughed her out loud at this. She can claim the episode was edited to make her look bad, but the bottom line is she recorded the line the doctor said she couldn’t stay on her diet while pregnant  I guarantee at most the doctor said she should adjust her diet up 300 calories or so. There is nothing on the banned foods list a baby needs to develop. I would have thought she was just stupid and misunderstood the doctor, until she didn’t even deny the fact that she was stating she had cancer when no biopsy had shown that. I believe Dr. Now when he says her situation is almost never cancer and her records show it’s not over her and her husband claiming it is. Anyone who has ever been pregnant can sympathize with wanting to eat terrible foods. I just never claimed I ate French fries at 8am on the way to work because a doctor told me to.

When she talked about the rough patch she and her husband were going through, I wondered if she only had the baby to “save the marriage”, but it’s hard to imagine her husband leaving her baby or no, so I’m not sure why she wanted a baby.  It maybe she realized it would give her tons of excuses. I’m almost surprised she didn’t claim she had postpartum depression and couldn’t diet due to that.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:15 AM, nlkm9 said:

So why did dr now do the previous 2 surgeries if she was smoking ?

At one point Dr. Now commented “you’ve started smoking again” which implies to me she stopped long enough for the surgeries and restarted.

• Love 3

I have another theory.  I think the reason Josh became so unhinged with Dr Now was because if she has cancer, then she needs him.

I think it's some sort of "Go fund me" scam. If she has cancer she appears more needy. It would be such a pity to not milk her 15 minutes for all it's worth...ugh...useless.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mrsjoe said:

II laughed her out loud at this. She can claim the episode was edited to make her look bad, but the bottom line is she recorded the line the doctor said she couldn’t stay on her diet while pregnant  I guarantee at most the doctor said she should adjust her diet up 300 calories or so. There is nothing on the banned foods list a baby needs to develop.

Bettie Jo's doctor obviously thought she was deficient in Vitamin Hot Dog, which is one of the most important vitamins in a nutritious baby-making diet.

• Love 21

So pre-baby, her first priority was to get the back mass removed as soon as she was able, post delivery.  Then she was ready to get back on the program and no mention of the mass removal.  The priority is skin surgery.  So the next thing is cancer AND the bone mass and no lifting.  Her backache has nothing to do with the fact that she weighs 400 lbs.

Whoops!  No cancer, but still have the mass and no lifting.  But hey, forget the mass, she needs the skin surgery.  No wait.  What about the mass? What about the skin surgery?  But she can't follow a diet because......something.

So according to Toodles Special Snowflake scale, with one being a regular person living a regular life and ten being Schenee, BJ is nine.  Penny is a big ole nine too.  Cancer/not cancer, back thing and being barely able to fit on the delivery table for vaginal delivery or C section or the stork, depending on the time of day, all factored in to my score. 

The East German judge had no influence on my score.  The only reason she did not receive a ten is because she did not have a snotty phone conversation with Dr. Now on the toilet with her pants down around her thighs.  It was a close call though.

PS:  I know there is no East Germany anymore. I'm old so it's a reference to the old way of Olympic scoring.

Spoiler

Melissa is a fabulous one on the Toodles scale.  For some reason, her follow up  is already posted to my On Demand.  I cheated but I don't know why.  I guess I better see thearpist Barbie.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 23
13 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

During the car ride, the friend mentioned she was glad they were going to "conversate" (a word I never hear outside an episode of Judge Judy)

Hahaha!! You’re my new best friend! I was thinking the same exact thing!!! 

• Love 6

Watching the expanded version, I listened hard for what Dr. Now called this "bone mass" on BJ's spine--"ectopic bone" formation.  Ectopic means something that isn't where it should be, like an ectopic pregnancy.  Ectopic bone mass is bone where it shouldn't be, and if it's on her spine and she was born with it, I'm guessing she has an extra "bump" on her spine.  Dr. Now said it was lumbar (L-something), so it's down in her lower back.  BJ said it had "changed," and that was why "they" told her she had cancer.  None of this makes any sense--I don't know whether it's Munchausen's syndrome or Stupidity.  Unfortunately, neither condition is amenable to treatment.

Both these women are mouth-breathers.  Mouth-breathing makes you look stupid, even if you aren't.  Don't mouth-breathe.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, BooBear said:

I also thought Susan was pretty. Kind of annoying that Susan is the pretty and thin one and Betty Joe has the family and adorable baby. 

But Susan had very nice photo on her facebook page. Seems like she might be doing well. https://www.facebook.com/susan.farmer.1614

Does anyone remember what kind of skin surgery Susan had? Did she need surgery on her legs?

11 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

I think it's some sort of "Go fund me" scam. If she has cancer she appears more needy. It would be such a pity to not milk her 15 minutes for all it's worth...ugh...useless.

Yes!!! I agree.  I think that they were putting on a cancer scam and were too stupid or not counting on Dr. Now exposing their lie.  That’s why Josh got so pissed.  When the camera went to him right after he walked out, he said he agreed that they need to see it under a “telescope” Hahaha. He was only pissed because Dr. Now “was disputing it with him.” Yeah of course Josh was pissed because he knew that millions of people will watch this and see them for the con artists that they are!   I believe that Bettie Jo started the scam and Josh just went along with it but now he’s super involved in it! Bettie Jo is a dirty disgusting manipulating slob! 

Edited by Kaia40
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Regardless of whether she has Munchausen's though, those who commit crimes are prosecuted, nonetheless.  It's not a legal defense.  The do know the deference between right and wrong.  So, it's really her responsibility to seek help.  But, unless she really has to, I doubt it will happen. 

She hasn't really committed a crime, except against decency, I guess, but there is such a thing as an insanity defense.  I think it's a tricky deal when someone who is clearly mentally ill is charged with a serious crime, like murder.  There have to be consequences, but at what point does  a truly ill person have control over herself, whether she knows right from wrong or not?  The M'Naughten Rule, which is what is used to determine criminal insanity, does involve knowing right from wrong, but its premise is to decide whether the defendant is sane enough to understand the nature of the act, then, if so, to understand the consequences of what she has done--whether it is right or wrong.  I think a person who has a serious mental illness, serious enough to make it impossible for her to understand what is real and what isn't--like having cancer--might have a chance at not being held accountable.  But I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know?

• Love 3

if there were a scale for "how bad is the lie", lying that you have cancer would be near the top for me.

"I haven't felt my baby move!" is up there, too. I was clutching my chest and yelling, "NO! Oh, poor Bettie Jo, we can't have a stillbirth! No!" Then the relief when they found the heartbeat...

Now we know she's full of shit. She's dead to me.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Mothra said:

She hasn't really committed a crime, except against decency, I guess, but there is such a thing as an insanity defense.  I think it's a tricky deal when someone who is clearly mentally ill is charged with a serious crime, like murder.  There have to be consequences, but at what point does  a truly ill person have control over herself, whether she knows right from wrong or not?  The M'Naughten Rule, which is what is used to determine criminal insanity, does involve knowing right from wrong, but its premise is to decide whether the defendant is sane enough to understand the nature of the act, then, if so, to understand the consequences of what she has done--whether it is right or wrong.  I think a person who has a serious mental illness, serious enough to make it impossible for her to understand what is real and what isn't--like having cancer--might have a chance at not being held accountable.  But I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know?

Perhaps insurance fraud when someone with Munschausens goes to doctor after doctor with self-inflicted "illnesses"?  Certainly the ones who have it "by proxy" are guilty of child abuse when they make their children sick.

I always wonder about the social workers who watch these shows and see these dreadful people with innocent children... do they get tempted to open cases?  Do they call social services in the cities where the patients are located?  It must bug them to witness these children in such bad situations.  Same thing with animal shelter workers.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

I live for when Dr Now says:

"How y'all doing?"

"Mudder" (Mother)  Not dissin his accent, but rather it brings back fond memories of my "Fadder" who was also unable to properly pronounce 'th' because of his accent. 

He's so stinkin' cute. Even when he's reading someone the riot act he's adorable. 

Mouf breathin' Betti Jo. Lawd, she had an arsenal of excuses straight from the Under Achiever's handbook. Her poor little 5 pound baby friend was smothered in fat for 9 months because 'a doctor' told her she needed to eat more. Okay girl. I think you can still eat healthy and carry a baby. Lots of women manage to eat well, and this includes not shoving hotdogs into their pie hole.  For crying out loud, buy some real plates, get some greens, and some grilled chicken n' make a salad.  And what was in the big plastic bag that they were feeding to Preston? It looked like some kind of cheese puff or something. Yuck. 

Slacker Josh isn't any  better. Sure he's doing the heavy lifting, and taking care of Preston, but he's as complacent and mental vacant as Betti Jo. Seriously. How did these two function let alone raise a child together? Dr. Now is one perceptive cat, he not only called her out on the lies, but astutely assessed how little interest she had in being a fully functioning parent to her son. The lowest common type of life form are people like Betti Jo. A seriously loud "Fuck you" for faking a cancer diagnosis. 

Susan's depression was almost like another layer of fat around her. It was so heavy. I'd like to know if Susan had any friends or social contacts other than her Mom. It didn't seem like it.  Her Mom looked to be diabetic from all the wounds on her arms. If she keeps it up Susan will have to be her caregiver, and that would be horrendous for Susan. She'll never get a chance at having her own life, and independence.  The best thing she could do after she reaches her goal is to get a job, or go back to school, and GET OUT OF HER MOM'S HOUSE!

I really hope that Susan's therapist can get her out of her mom's house and anyplace else... anyplace! It would be really great if she could go live with one of her siblings for awhile until she got on her feet.

Her mom seemed to treat her children like a litter of puppies... push all of them out into the world and keep one for herself for her efforts. Not cool. And Susan is going to die if she doesn't lose this weight and keep it off! Her mom is a selfish, toxic waste dump of rationalizations and Susan needs to leave and never look back.

I noticed Bettie Jo had control of Preston's snack bag... which looked almost as big as he was. In the words of Dr. Now, "They want control of da food." 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, IvySpice said:

"I haven't felt my baby move!" is up there, too. I was clutching my chest and yelling, "NO! Oh, poor Bettie Jo, we can't have a stillbirth! No!" Then the relief when they found the heartbeat...

Now we know she's full of shit. She's dead to me.

I wonder if all her body fat makes it harder for her to feel the baby's movements...

15 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

I noticed Bettie Jo had control of Preston's snack bag... which looked almost as big as he was. In the words of Dr. Now, "They want control of da food." 

I'm really wondering what they were. They kind of looked like the little puff things some of my friends give their toddlers, but those come in a smallish canister. If that's what they were, that bag had to be at least 5 containers worth. Maybe cheese puffs? I bet she eats way more of them than the baby does.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Her mom seemed to treat her children like a litter of puppies... push all of them out into the world and keep one for herself for her efforts. Not cool. And Susan is going to die if she doesn't lose this weight and keep it off! Her mom is a selfish, toxic waste dump of rationalizations and Susan needs to leave and never look back.

I am going to disagree.  I watched the original episode last night and when Susan told her mom she needed to be more independent -- her mom let her.  That is kind of rare on this show. Her mom was also supportive during the initial run up to Susan getting the surgery. Was she in the wrong for how she behaved before? Yes. Does she need to reign in her inclination to do what Susan wants. Yes. But a selfish toxic waste dump? No.  I am happy and proud of both of them for realizing they were not in a good way and trying to correct the situation. Susan also played a part in asking her mom to do things for her and not learning how to do them herself. 

Susan appears to have lost all the weight now and seems to be working at a job. That probably would not have happened had her mother continued acting like she had been when Susan was larger.  Mom made serious mistakes but truly seems to care about her daughter. 

I do hope Susan is living independently now.  If not for the weight issue.. mom will pass some day.

• Love 6
On 4/19/2018 at 10:33 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Josh storming out of Dr. Now's office, complete with high pitched hysterics and door slamming, then telling us that he didn't need no doctor looking in his telescope for him to know Bettie Jo had cancer, has completely finished me. That is all.

You know, every so often I think we're reached the pinnacle of "My 600-lb. Life" craziness. Honestly, I thought Schenee's boyfriend reassuring her that Dr. Now was intimidated by Schenee's considerable intelligence was the height of hilarity. Then Bettie Jo and her "cancer" returned to my screen, and her Cro-magnon husband threw a tantrum on camera.

This show's editors are truly doing God's work.

(My dad, like a few other loved ones of commentators, died of cancer: gliobastoma. It was sheer, unadulterated Hell. Fuck anyone who uses cancer as a sympathy card.)

Ooh, ooh! I almost forgot my favorite part of Josh's outburst. He's all, "I know you need to use a telescope to diagnose cancer, and Bettie Jo hasn't had that, but Dr. Now shouldn't be telling us we don't know if she has cancer." Um, okay.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Love 12
9 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

Ooh, ooh! I almost forgot my favorite part of Josh's outburst. He's all, "I know you need to use a telescope to diagnose cancer, and Bettie Jo hasn't had that, but Dr. Now shouldn't be telling us we don't know if she has cancer." Um, okay.

Yet he doesn't stop and think..."she hasn't had that, therefore we shouldn't be telling people she does have cancer, either..."

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Trees said:

Perhaps insurance fraud when someone with Munschausens goes to doctor after doctor with self-inflicted "illnesses"?  Certainly the ones who have it "by proxy" are guilty of child abuse when they make their children sick.

I always wonder about the social workers who watch these shows and see these dreadful people with innocent children... do they get tempted to open cases?  Do they call social services in the cities where the patients are located?  It must bug them to witness these children in such bad situations.  Same thing with animal shelter workers.

Insurance fraud is an interesting idea--again, I'm not a lawyer, just talking out my ass here--but if the patient truly believed she had cancer or whatever, I'm not sure she could be held accountable.  I suspect that true Munchausen's Syndrome is very rare, especially Munchausen's so severe that it gets to the point of medical testing and so forth.  I mean, Dr. Now knew that BJ didn't have cancer because there hadn't been a biopsy, and his determination didn't require any medical procedure.

It would be harder, I think, to convince a jury that you truly believed in the illness in cases of Munchausen's By Proxy because, as I understand it, the mentally ill person (usually the mother afaik) has to actually *do* something to the child to induce symptoms.  Of course, that could be true in plain old Munchausen's, too--you could damage your body to try to create symptoms within your own body.  And if you did that, imo, you'd be really and truly in the grip of mental illness--yet, knowing that you're causing the symptoms indicates awareness of the nature of the act.

I find this a very interesting medical/legal conundrum.  I just don't know what the answer is, or what's right (which is sometimes the same thing).

Good thing I'm not a judge. 

• Love 1