Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

19 minutes ago, twoods said:

Congrats to France! It was fun to see them all celebrating in the rain, and the Croatian President was completely classy hugging all the players without wilting in the rain.

And Macron was positively adorkable in his celebration of the win!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Edson Arantes do Nascimento.

I did not know that.  Thank You.

10 hours ago, twoods said:

Congrats to France! It was fun to see them all celebratingin the rain, and the Croatian President was completely classy hugging all the players without wilting in the rain.

I read that Mbappe is donating all his earnings from the WC to a charity that supports sports for kids with disabilities. I hope he continues to be this awesome and not let all the fame and fortune get to his head. Makes me love him even more than I do already.

Like a certain Brazilian player.

Yeah to France winning a new Word Cup 20 years later. We may not have been the most spectacular team but we were certainly the most cold blooded one. 

I especially liked the joy of this young team winning. They are young (one of the youngest teams in the competition) and they were kids (well M'Bappe is still a kid) Sunday when they were celebrating. Between the 2 titles we had several teams some were not talented enough some were petulant brats who thought they were always rights and some were unlucky. So I will enjoy the team we have for now while it last. 

But on an another note, I am in France and we have a big Trevor Noah controversy here. He made a comment on The Daily show about Africa wining the World Cup (instead of France). And it is not well perceived in France to make that kind of joke. 20 years ago when France won for the first year, that was one of the most talked point about the title. That we won thanks to players with African origin. And since then it is an argument that the french alt right is using to explain the defeats and diminish the victories. I was happy that this time around we did not make a big story about their origin. We know they are not Gaulois but they are french and that is enough. To me it seems like progress coming from a country where the question where are you from is one of the first question that is asked to non-white people. So we know France is not perfect (racism is not dead and yeah this question will be asked to my nieces that are not 100%white) on that but yeah we are pretty happy to see those players being proud to be french. And we are happy to support that french team. That is why we don't like this kind of joke that seems to mean that those players will never be considered french. And of course Trevor can pretend it is because he wants to celebrate their "Africanness". But he should be able to understand that his South African roots gives him a point of view that may not apply to France and its history. By the way the French Ambassador was not the only one complaining. Nicolas Batum (french basketball player with a father from Cameroun) did comment on the situation on twitter. 

• Like 4

I just read about the Trevor Noah controversy a few minutes ago in another online article.  I do wish he had simply just congratulated the French team and left it at that.  

• Like 2

Honestly there was a lot of messy things on the internet. I was supporting the England team, so I was mainly paying attention to that, and there was a lot of people calling the team 'colonizers'. This despite the fact that the majority of the players are first or second generation immigrants. When your background is that of a country that was colonised, and you were born and brought up in the country that did the colonising, it can be very hard to mitre the two realities. It really hurts when people from your own or other countries deny that there can be any positive to either your background country or your home country. They only look at you through a narrow viewpoint, and that's what Trevor Noah did. It took me a long time to be okay with calling myself English. A lot of people across the globe and in England wont like that I do call myself that, but that's who I am. And likewise, if the french players say they are French that's who they are. 

• Like 3

It's good that France and Belgium both did so well.  They were the only two teams for whom this World Cup was 'win or bust'. France had to win to make up for losing the Euro 16 final and for Belgium's golden generation, it was the last chance.  The other big teams didn't really 'have' to win.

On 7/15/2018 at 4:32 PM, NUguy514 said:

I'd argue the same about Russia.

Anyway, vive la France!

At least Russia has some sort of soccer culture with their national team having done well in tourneys before(granted that was back when they were the USSR) and have club teams in the big Euro competitions. Qatar has zip as far as I'm aware and I would not be surprised if they buy themselves a team like they do with track and field athletes. I'm also pissed beyond belief about the Winter WC.

One of my father's biggest soccer heroes was a Soviet goalkeeper. As a goalkeeper himself he cherishes the time Lev Yashin came to my birth country with, I want to say Dynamo Moscow rather than the USSR team but it could have been the national team as well. It was the only time he willingly sat behind the goal instead of near the middle of the field.

Edited by galaxygirl76

On 7/19/2018 at 5:32 AM, FrenchCheese said:

Yeah to France winning a new Word Cup 20 years later. We may not have been the most spectacular team but we were certainly the most cold blooded one. 

I especially liked the joy of this young team winning. They are young (one of the youngest teams in the competition) and they were kids (well M'Bappe is still a kid) Sunday when they were celebrating. Between the 2 titles we had several teams some were not talented enough some were petulant brats who thought they were always rights and some were unlucky. So I will enjoy the team we have for now while it last. 

But on an another note, I am in France and we have a big Trevor Noah controversy here. He made a comment on The Daily show about Africa wining the World Cup (instead of France). And it is not well perceived in France to make that kind of joke. 20 years ago when France won for the first year, that was one of the most talked point about the title. That we won thanks to players with African origin. And since then it is an argument that the french alt right is using to explain the defeats and diminish the victories. I was happy that this time around we did not make a big story about their origin. We know they are not Gaulois but they are french and that is enough. To me it seems like progress coming from a country where the question where are you from is one of the first question that is asked to non-white people. So we know France is not perfect (racism is not dead and yeah this question will be asked to my nieces that are not 100%white) on that but yeah we are pretty happy to see those players being proud to be french. And we are happy to support that french team. That is why we don't like this kind of joke that seems to mean that those players will never be considered french. And of course Trevor can pretend it is because he wants to celebrate their "Africanness". But he should be able to understand that his South African roots gives him a point of view that may not apply to France and its history. By the way the French Ambassador was not the only one complaining. Nicolas Batum (french basketball player with a father from Cameroun) did comment on the situation on twitter. 

Félicitations néanmoins, FrenchCheese!  Et votre Président était très adorable en celebrant la victoire!  Congratulations nevertheless, @FrenchCheese!  And your President was quite adorable when he celebrated the win!

• Like 1