Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

So Colombia are being galactic level twats in this game. Clearly decided to try and break the game up, but ended up getting caught in their own spoiling tactics.

England have reacted a couple of times, and it could have been very costly, especially Stones flicking his foot at Falcao's head.

• Like 2

This is a World Cup for the ages. Germany crashes out in the round robin and England wins a penalty shoot-out!

And though I'm not a hard-core England fan, Colombia were being major twats out there so I'm not at all upset by the result. Even if Falcao looks amazing in a suit.

• Like 5

I'm so glad we won. Colombia didn't deserve it after being so awful. 

Side note: After the last penalty, not only could I hear screaming and shouting next door, someone also set off fireworks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Praise everything! England wins a penalty shoot out! I can barely remember the last time that happened.

I read that they were 0-3 in shootouts in the WC and 1-3 in the Euros. And the 1 win led to a shootout loss in the next round. So pretty much never. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I read that they were 0-3 in shootouts in the WC and 1-3 in the Euros. And the 1 win led to a shootout loss in the next round. So pretty much never. 

It's funny, but I remember the loss against Germany in EURO '96. I do not recall them beating Spain(?) the previous round.

Edited by galaxygirl76

9 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

It's funny, but I remember the loss against Germany in EURO '96. I do not recall them beating Spain(?) the previous round.

Miguel Angel Nadal, Rafa Nadal's uncle, missed the deciding penalty for Spain. Bit of needless trivia there.

• Like 4

Yes, England, so happy that they finally beat that curse!  And the other team behaving so un-sports man like makes it all sweeter.

• Like 3

I was a wreck when England went to Penalty Kicks today. England is my last team (Italy and US didn't qualify, Iceland didn't make it out of group and Portugal got eliminated) in the WC. Once England goes out it's "anyone but Brazil"

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 4

Of course, amid the jubilation of England actually winning a penalty shootout - it has to be admitted that England were not good. For all their possession, England made very few chances - there were more passes back to our own keeper than shots on the Colombian goal. And considering that next up we have Sweden who are better defensively than Colombia (and we never beat) I can't see England going much further. Still, never give up hope!

• Like 2

The curse is broken!!  By, you know, actually preparing intensively for the possibility of having to do penalty kicks.  Sounds like Gareth Southgate learned from his experience and chose to train his team on pks.  Who'd a thunk it?

Oh, and Go, England!!

On ‎06‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, MostlyC said:

Some of the commercials for the world cup rival the Super Bowl's, in my opinion.

Indeed.  I'm particularly fond of Glorious Foot.

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:38 PM, JustaPerson said:

As an Arsenal fan I've (painfully) learned that heavy possession doesn't equal goals. *stares sadly in the distance* It's a trademark of tiki-taka football, which the Spanish popularized. It used to work better for them.

Exactly.  It worked then, but now everyone is on to it.  There's a reason Spain blew out in the group stage in 2014.  They'd seemed to have re-invented themselves, but their FA fired the manager who did it.  They had one good game, against Portugal, and had been shit since then.  They deserved to lose.

19 hours ago, John Potts said:

Of course, amid the jubilation of England actually winning a penalty shootout - it has to be admitted that England were not good. For all their possession, England made very few chances - there were more passes back to our own keeper than shots on the Colombian goal. And considering that next up we have Sweden who are better defensively than Colombia (and we never beat) I can't see England going much further. Still, never give up hope!

I'd say they made quite a few chances, but their finishing was not good.

Edited to add that I'm sick to death of the Colombian players whining about the ref favoring England.  YOU started by playing dirty.  Yes, the English players reacted, but with all your antics, there's no way you should've had 11 players on the pitch by the end.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 8

Because Despacito is stuck in my head, and I tend to make up new lyrics for it, I thought I'd share:

"Despacito, say goodbye to Chicharito, he can go eat a burrito, 'cause Mexico is finito"

• Like 2

Oh this is so, so delicious right now....Belgium up by two against Brazil. Crossing every digit that Brazil goes home after the second half!!!

• Like 4

All I wanted out of today is Uruguay out and I got my wish there. France-Brazil or France-Belgium, either match up looks great. Belgium has been very effective so far in this match and after the second goal Brazil looked a little lost. Everything seems to be going through Schwalbe McLayonthegroundface(though I do think he was fouled in the penalty area but at this point may just have his rep of laying on the ground dying working against him).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Schwalbe McLayonthegroundface

I'm going to steal this from you.  And on that note, have you seen the South African KFC commercial (filmed before the World Cup) which mocks him?

• Like 1

And so, despite FIFA's best efforts to make things more global, is only Europe left...

Great, fun game. May be the best of the tournament so far.

24 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm going to steal this from you.  And on that note, have you seen the South African KFC commercial (filmed before the World Cup) which mocks him?

I need to see this!

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

And so, despite FIFA's best efforts to make things more global, is only Europe left...

I need to see this!

Here you go.

Woo hoo!  No more Brazil and Neymar the Flopper!

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I need to see this!

• Like 5

Thank you both!! That is a great commercial!

eta, I can go all in on my Russia hate now Brazil(mostly Neymar) is out.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

All I wanted out of today is Uruguay out and I got my wish there. France-Brazil or France-Belgium, either match up looks great. Belgium has been very effective so far in this match and after the second goal Brazil looked a little lost. Everything seems to be going through Schwalbe McLayonthegroundface(though I do think he was fouled in the penalty area but at this point may just have his rep of laying on the ground dying working against him).

Yeah. Unfortunately for Brazil, Neymar has cried wolf too many times and that's penalised his entire team. They were deserving of a penalty. 

I'm glad Belgium won though. I thought it was hilarious that they won by an own goal. Belgium v France should be good. I can't wait for tomorrow! 

• Like 2

I am sad that it is only European teams now, but damn, Belgium did a great job today.

Only because I had no skin in this match, I was hoping Brazil would tie up the game so they would to into overtime so I could watch everyone play more.

I want an African or Canadian (I have no hope for the usa) team to get to a semifinal.

• Like 1

Cue Hans the Lighting Guy!! (oonz oonz oonz oonz)

That second goal by Belgium was beautiful all the way around.

Now come on, Croatia! And England, I guess?

• Like 7

Only problem I have with Belgium vs. France is that I like both teams.  Should be a great match.

• Like 4

I can't decide if Belgium's Kevin De Bruyne looks like Tintin or Prince Harry or both.  After their beautiful comeback against Japan I had to root for Belgium today.  Plus Neymar forces me to root against Brazil.

• Like 3

My favorite part of Belgium vs Brazil is how few fucks the refs had. Neymar and his teammates were as dramatic as ever* and the refs saw right through it and called according to what actually happened instead of what they wanted to happen. 

*If Neymar moves to New York and starts auditioning for Broadway when his career ends I won’t be a bit surprised. That’s how dramatic he is. 

• Like 7

What's more, they've gotten such attention for diving (I mean, we all saw that egregious dive Neymar made that he didn't get carded for, right?) that even if there was a legit foul, they are 'the team who cried wolf' and the refs are not here for it.

• Like 4

Neymar will never be recognised as one of the greatest players in the world, a recognition he clearly wants so dearly. Because his histrionics and playacting have surpassed all the footballing ability he has. The guy is a meme, now, known even to people who've never watched a football match as a cheater. He left Barcelona to get out of Messi's shadow, and now he's created a shadow all of his own. How poetic.

I was so pleased that Belgium won yesterday. And Martinez's tactics in the first half were spot on. Play on the counter, use Lukaku's strength and pace, and the trickery of Hazard and De Bruyne, and Brazil just couldn't cope with them. Fair play to Brazil, they adjusted in the second half, pressing much higher, closing down Belgium's attacking players much more quickly. But the damage was already done.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, magdalene said:

Is Neymar always behaving like such a special snowflake? I am glad he and his team are out.

He's been like this for as long as I can remember. It's why I was elated when Germany did their thing in the 2014 World cup and still bitter that Brazil won Olympic gold that made him a hero. I've never had a problem with Brazil, Ronaldo and Romario were both fantastic players and so much fun to watch(especially Romario) but I just can't with Neymar. I just don't think he's as good as the hype and the flopping like he's Meryl Streep doesn't help that at all. Messi and as much, as I hate to say it, Christiano Ronaldo are as good as advertised.

• Like 7

The level of worked up people in England are getting, particularly the media people, over this tournament is absurd. 

England have genuinely played no one even half decent yet, other than Belgium's reserves. But it's the same every time, start off with 'let's not get too excited, this team has a way to go' and then end up with 'football's coming home!' by the time they reach the knockout stages.

The first real test will come if Croatia beat Russia this evening. They're vastly better than England in midfield, and their wide players will test Trippier and Young far more than anyone else has. If Croatia had a world class striker, they'd be one of the best teams in world football, and England beating them might indicate they have a shot against either France or Belgium.

My dream final is still Belgium vs Croatia, and it has a good chance of happening, now.

• Like 2

Well done, Croatia. But they made a meal of that. They really didn't play well, Ann's looked hesitant throughout.

Good old ITV, left it at least five minutes before starting to talk about what this means for England... even when they had Slaven Bilic in the studio. This is one of the many reasons I've never felt any affinity for my own nation's team: This hyper-partisan, chest-beating attitude from commentators and pundits.

Not only that, but Lee Dixon unironically calls the England team "a juggernaut". Good grief. 

Edited by Danny Franks

I am happy that Russia lost to Croatia.   I had been afraid of cheating by Russia.

Edited by magdalene
  • Like 5

I can't take credit for this joke, the internet is way too quick:

"This just in, Putin has annexed Croatia, so Russia is still technically in the World Cup."

• Like 13

ITV hub cut out just before the penalties so I missed them. I was so worried when it got to penalties that Russia would win, just because you can't relly predict it when it comes to penelties. So glad it was Croatia! 

• Like 2

I’m just sad that Belgium - France is a semifinal and not the final. Those are the two best teams left. I hate how arrogant English fans are, every four years they go into the World Cup as if they deserve to win it by virtue of being English - and I hate that stupid Football is Coming Home nonsense. I really want France to win it all, which would be fitting and exactly 20 years after their first and so far only World Cup win. By I’d be okay with anyone except England winning - which probably means they just might win the whole thing. 

Google maps says that you could drive from England to Croatia in 19 hours while passing through France and Belgium. That’s a Top Gear challenge. 

• Like 6

I don't have a dog in the fight and I'm fine with whoever wins now that Russia and Mexico are out, but it would be kinda fun if Croatia won.   I don't know about standings but would that be the most surprising of the four remaining? 

• Like 3