Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Fuck.  I don't like bringing politics into sports, but in this case I made an exception because I didn't want Putin to celebrate.  Dammit.

• Like 4

Spain looked so much better, I'm really bummed. Don't fire your damn coach two days for the tournament, I don't care how much he hurt your feefees!

eta, FOUR minutes in and it's 1-1! Hope this game keeps being as much fun as it is now.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I watched Portugal first and am now on France. Ronaldo clearly said ‘fuck’ at one point and the French goalkeeper just said ‘shit’ in response to the second goal. I’m so proud that English curse words are just part of the worldwide vernacular. 

Oh, Ronaldo definitely swore at the referee which got him that yellow.

This day's two games have not been as good as I hoped. I never like when games go into Extra Time. The players always look exhausted and it's quite taxing on them. I'll be glad for either Denmark and Croatia to win, but I am sad about Spain. I will concede that Russia did their best to play defense for the whole of the game, but it still feels undeserved. Ahh well that is the World Cup for you. There are always dramatic upsets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

eta, FOUR minutes in and it's 1-1! Hope this game keeps being as much fun as it is now.

Narrator: It wasn’t. 

One hell of a PK save though to get to the end tied. 

• Like 3

I actually groaned when Schmeichel jr stopped that pk because all I could think that I had to suffer even longer. And I like Denmark.

• Like 1

Stupid work scheduled me during the Croatia game so I only just finished. 

Woooooooooooooooo!!! 

Denmark can console themselves with their handsomeness while my Croats (no slouch either) celebrate. 

CAD7C4F0-8DB7-46F0-A093-C0772CE9AA49.gif

• Like 1

In the past two days I've had multiple people (who seemed sober) telling me there was a lot of matching fixing going on. Given the Socchi Olympics, I would not be surprised if some deals had been made so that Russia would advance/win this whole thing.

But I hope I am wrong.  Anyway, I'm now rooting foe Uruguay and England

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

In the past two days I've had multiple people (who seemed sober) telling me there was a lot of matching fixing going on. Given the Socchi Olympics, I would not be surprised if some deals had been made so that Russia would advance/win this whole thing.

I’m going to be surprised if they don’t make it to at least the semis for this very reason. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

Oh, I'm 99.9% convinced Spain tanked the match on purpose: the one goal they got was an own goal on Russia's part, De Gea barely tried to block a few of those penalty kicks, and Koke and Aspas basically sent their penalty kicks right to Akinfeev.  They had possession for almost three-quarters of the match and lost?  Uh, no.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Spain were rubbish, quite bluntly. All that possession, and they couldn't break down a defence packed with average footballers. Akinfeev regularly chucks goals into his net in the Champions League, and Spain can't even manage to test him?

Still, they should have had that penalty that the VAR ref didn't have the balls to award. Holding in the penalty area doesn't get much more blatant than that.

As for Denmark, I would have felt bad for them if not the fact that Croatia had to exchange a 100% chance of goal for a penalty, and then for Kasper Schmeichel's obnoxious antics during the shoot out. Trying to claim one penalty taker had kicked the ball twice (I guess that's what he was whining about) then telling the referee to "watch" the next one. Fuck off with your childish attempts at psychological warfare, Kasper.

Croatia are still my dark horses to get to the final, and they should certainly go on to beat Russia. Providing nothing strange happens....

2 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

They had possession for almost three-quarters of the match and lost?  Uh, no.

As an Arsenal fan I've (painfully) learned that heavy possession doesn't equal goals. *stares sadly in the distance* It's a trademark of tiki-taka football, which the Spanish popularized. It used to work better for them.

I would say that Croatia should easily beat Russia, but this WC has pretty much been a giant fuck you to my expectations. I was so relieved when Croatia got that penalty, because it meant the game could finally be over. 

• Like 7

I really hope Brazil lose tomorrow. I hedged my bets on a France - Colombia final with France winning and I need that to happen. LOL. 

I feel the same way about Spain as I feel about Germany; if you cannot score against Russia/South Korea in 90 minutes -- byeeeee. If not for the own goal, Spain would have been out after 90 minutes. It's great that you can maintain possession but I think some of these teams forget that you still have to you know score some goals. Russia should be knocked out in the next round. And then there is this: Russian Doping in Soccer? . Russia better hope they get knocked out in the next round or the rumbling is just going to get louder and louder and someone will make it their mission to prove they cheated somehow. 

• Like 2

What a great World Cup so far! The France/Argentina game was wonderful and I always love to see Ronaldo sent home the entitled little git. Hopefully the diver Neymar goes next and we can have Belgium or Mexico in the final or perhaps Switzerland, even better! Expect the unexpected and enjoy!

• Like 2

I don't really want Brazil to win the cup, but I do want them to roll over Mexico. Hard. Between the homophobic chants and the eye pulling to "celebrate" Korea beating Germany and pushing them through to the knockout stages, Mexico can go anytime. 

• Like 5

Yeah, Mexican fans are so awful that I am obligated to root for any team but Russia over them.  Those assholes have been doing that racist, homophobic shit at soccer matches here in LA for years now and are a blight on their team and their country.  It's not just soccer that showcases this behavior either; Mexican fans will apply their shitty behavior to any form of competition in which Mexico is participating.  It's abhorrent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

I don't really want Brazil to win the cup, but I do want them to roll over Mexico. Hard. Between the homophobic chants and the eye pulling to "celebrate" Korea beating Germany and pushing them through to the knockout stages, Mexico can go anytime. 

It would be quite fitting for Brazil to beat them, considering Brazil has one of the biggest Gay Pride parades in the world.

• Like 5

So glad Mexico got knocked out.  Now I'm waiting for the Russians to lose and then I'm good with whoever wins after that.

• Like 3

Adios, Mexico, and good riddance!

2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

So glad Mexico got knocked out.  Now I'm waiting for the Russians to lose and then I'm good with whoever wins after that.

I might throw Uruguay in there just because of Suárez, but basically.

• Like 2

Everyone I root for has been ousted. I'm at a loss. And then I was really hoping for Brazil to lose and then they went ahead and won... even with Neymar flopping about after the 'ankle stomp' as if his whole leg came off. And then he got up and scored or whatever. I can't with him. I just can't. Also, with the Mexico fans... well, let's just say I was kind of hoping for a way both teams could lose. Alas.

Oh and the hyperbole about Brazil 'avenging' their loss in 2014. 'That cup was theirs...' No, it bloody well wasn't! They played cynical, ugly-ass football and richly deserved the drubbing they got from Germany! That was one of the reasons I was so happy about that result; Brazil had been acting like winning last time was pre-ordained and all they had to do was show up and everyone would collapse in their Brazilian jogo bonito presence. (Also, the Brazilian woman in the VolksWagen commercial is too smug. Give me Hans the lighting guy!!)

Another reason why I hope Brazil gets knocked out next game is so the Fox Sports commentators are thoroughly robbed of their STARS and left wondering who is going to be the focus of their narrative. "Uhhh... Lukaku? Harry Kane? That Croatian guy?"

As much as I love Messi, I'm thrilled beyond words that both he AND Ronaldo got ousted because the Fox commentators were just coming in their pants over the constant 'sad, sad Messi who just can't rise to the occasion while Cristiano Ronaldo is leading his team to glory--- wait, what happened?' So yeah, get Neymar the flopper out of there, too. I want to see the color commentary try to figure out how to sell a fucking team sport with actual TEAMS.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Like 8

Belgium and France are easily the most talented teams left in the tournament. It's a shame they can't meet in the final, but a potential semi-final between them should be a hell of a game.

Of course, if Belgium beat Japan tonight, then they'll have to face Brazil in the quarters. And it won't be an easy game, because Brazil are a solid team. Neymar is a diva,  and Casemiro is suspended, but they'll be tough to beat.

I am not an England supporter, despite being English. I have always found the national team to be southern-centric, and the jingoism that surrounds it to be repugnant. But I actually think they might be in with a real shot of winning. I can't see them losing to Colombia, Sweden or Switzerland., and I think they'd also have a good shot of beating Croatia or Russia in a semi-final. Of course, it's entirely possible that they'll choke, as they usually do, but this England team seems to have a bit more application and determination than previous teams.

2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

even with Neymar flopping about after the 'ankle stomp' as if his whole leg came off.

I gotta admit, watching Neymar had me cracking up.  He was flopping so much he looked like a fish who was thrown out of the water.

• Like 4

Too bad for Japan, but I'm ok with Belgium winning.  What an exciting match!

• Like 3

I wanted Belgium to win, yet still I feel sad. Japan played so well.

But this World Cup is so weird. All the European teams seem to have played with this marked lethargy and complacency. France finally woke up against Argentina, Belgium finally woke up with twenty minutes to go today.

That Belgian winning goal was a cracker. My favourite kind of football, lightning quick counter attacks. And Lukaku's movement and unselfishness made the goal. Any kid who dreams of being a centre forward needs to watch that.

• Like 9

That game! Belgium vs. Japan was the craziest thing I have ever seen in a World Cup! I feel so sorry for the Japanese team as they were "punching far above their weight class" in the first half but ultimately talent will out.

After the Brazil vs. Mexico game was over I was very sad they both did not lose. Oh well....go Belgium! Crush Brazil and that little diving jerk.

I am having fun explaining both the game of soccer and the whole World Cup tournament to a person who has never watched any of the beautiful game previously. Today he asked me when the defending champions play next LOL. He also doesn't get that you are allowed three substitutions in regular futbol but in the World Cup you get four, and why that is (is about $ actually). At least this is easier than the time I had to explain American baseball to an English friend who had never seen a baseball game before (we were actually at a Giants game at the time) and since I don't really understand cricket I couldn't start from there.

• Like 3

Being subjected to Neymar’s theatrics was almost worth it for watching Layun haul Neymar to his feet as if he was picking up a cat. 

Sad for Japan, but Belgium has a better shot against Brazil.

• Like 4

That was a hell of a game. The goals were beautiful. Although the commentary... ugh. When Japan scored and Dellacamera is all 'And Belgium... is on the VERGE of being eliminated.' And I'm sitting there going 'There's 40 minutes left in the game. What are you fucking TALKING about?!' The game had PLENTY of drama without that idiot acting like Belgium were seconds away from being eliminated in the first ten minutes of the second half.

They kept highlighting Neymar's theatrics during the post-game World Cup Live and it's just worse and worse with every viewing. I mean, yes, it is kind of hilarious. Especially the shot where Neymar looks like he's REACHING for one of the coaches or whatever in pure agony and said coach kind of subtly gestures to keep it down. Not that Neymar would have seen that because his histrionics did require a lot of commitment and effort. And, look, we've all seen over-acting on the pitch. I remember Klinsmann back in '90... it was like he got shot. However, he didn't carry on the way Neymar did. There was another Brazilian who got a dead ball kicked at him, it hit him in the calf and he clutched his face and DROPPED to the ground like he'd been hit with a brick. I mean, there's been some absolute awful shit when it comes to diving players. Neymar's philosophy seems to be 'more is more' when it comes to his histrionics and I am not a fan. At all.

So tomorrow we've got Sweden/Switzerland and England/Colombia. Bring it on!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, isalicat said:

That game! Belgium vs. Japan was the craziest thing I have ever seen in a World Cup! I feel so sorry for the Japanese team as they were "punching far above their weight class" in the first half but ultimately talent will out.

After the Brazil vs. Mexico game was over I was very sad they both did not lose. Oh well....go Belgium! Crush Brazil and that little diving jerk.

I am having fun explaining both the game of soccer and the whole World Cup tournament to a person who has never watched any of the beautiful game previously. Today he asked me when the defending champions play next LOL. He also doesn't get that you are allowed three substitutions in regular futbol but in the World Cup you get four, and why that is (is about $ actually). At least this is easier than the time I had to explain American baseball to an English friend who had never seen a baseball game before (we were actually at a Giants game at the time) and since I don't really understand cricket I couldn't start from there.

I didn't know that either! lol.

15 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I’m suddenly very grateful that Fox Sports reruns the games at night. Belgium sounds amazing. 

The first half was scoreless but entertaining. The whole 2nd half was amazing. Japan went. for. it! Both sides had multiple near misses and great saves.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I am having fun explaining both the game of soccer and the whole World Cup tournament to a person who has never watched any of the beautiful game previously. 

People in my office are utterly confused that this is still going on.

They're like 'that's still happening?' and I'm all 'It lasts a month. So yes, it's still happening.'

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

People in my office are utterly confused that this is still going on.

They're like 'that's still happening?' and I'm all 'It lasts a month. So yes, it's still happening.'

It's pretty funny that attitudes are so different, you'd never have that conversation here. In fact I know someone who got to leave work early just to watch the last England match. I've been allowed to skip lessons before just to watch matches. I presume it's the same in other countries where football is major, you can't escape it. That makes it sound bad, but I kind of like it because it's like Christmas and everyone's happy... until England lose of course haha. 

Oh please...the American baseball playoffs go on and on and on....can you imagine if the World Cup finals was best of seven? Frankly if you aren't being entertained by this World Cup tournament then you aren't really a sports fan. I've been watching this every four years for decades and I can't remember games this good. In fact, as a ardent fan of the English Premier League I used to always hate the World Cup as I found international matches too slow and defensively oriented. But not this year! YAY!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, doesntworkonwood said:

It's pretty funny that attitudes are so different, you'd never have that conversation here. In fact I know someone who got to leave work early just to watch the last England match. I've been allowed to skip lessons before just to watch matches. I presume it's the same in other countries where football is major, you can't escape it. That makes it sound bad, but I kind of like it because it's like Christmas and everyone's happy... until England lose of course haha. 

I'm allowed to live stream it at my desk. It's a family business, my mother is head of the company and as long as I'm doing my work I can have the games on in the background and switch it over to see what's going on every now and then. We also put it on in the break room so it's just a fact of life here. (We do the same thing with the Euros and the Olympics.) It's just that most people in the office so don't care. But the UPS guys are always like 'so what's happening, who scored?' and all that. One of the ladies in our office had just started working for us during the '98 World Cup and, at that time, to get the live stuff I had to put on Telemundo Radio and she recalls those days with no fondness at all. I suppose that was a wierd thing to have to deal with at a new job... oh well.

Well, I am happy that Mexico is finally out - their so not deserved luck finally gave out. But not happy that Brazil won.  If that makes any sense.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, MostlyC said:

But I hope I am wrong.  Anyway, I'm now rooting foe Uruguay and England

My dad has been saying the same since the Spain game and he's usually pretty level headed. He's convinced Russia is going to win this thing and the thought of that makes me want to throw up because they are in no way shape or form the best team in the world.

• Like 1

How widespread is the belief that the 2002 World Cup was rigged to have cohost South Korea advance to the semis with refs overlooking fouls? I’ve seen YouTube vids state this as fact but wasn’t sure if that was mainstream thinking or not. 

Watching the repeat of the Brazil game and Neymar’s Emmy Submission moment just happened. You know how I can tell he’s faking? He waited until the Mexico guy removed his foot before he started screaming in “pain”. If it were real he’d have had an immediate reaction and tried to remove his leg, or yelled for the guy to get off of him, or done anything other than what actually happened. Now, I don’t know what to think about the Mexico guy. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did it on purpose or by mistake. Since it was so nonchalant I’m inclined to think he didn’t pay attention to where he stepped and removed his foot the second he did. He could be an excellent actor who tried to bait Neymar into another yellow for overacting, but it didn’t seem like it so I’m fine with the ref not issuing punishment. 

• Like 2

I want there to be a special ref who can call penalties for bad acting.  You!  Your tears were fake, you indicated all over the place, your intention was sloppy and I didn't buy it.  Stanislavsky is weeping in his grave and Shakespeare is gnashing his teeth!  Therefore: Yellow Card and Penalty kick.

(If they pull a "LEAVE BRITTANY ALONE" hysteria, it's an automatic Red Card.)

• Like 10

It always makes me think of Robin Williams talking about the players dramatics at the 2002 Cup during a stand-up special:

::player falls::

“I’ve been killed! I’ve been blinded!!!!!!”

::looks around::

”There’s nobody near me, huh? Ok I’m kidding.”

• Like 7

The Belgium repeat just finished and that was a hell of a game! This is the opposite of Mexico vs Brazil in that I wish both could advance. They played so well it was a joy to watch. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Sweden - Switzerland. I have nothing against either team so I'm just going to hope for a good game.

Yeah, I have no dog in this particular fight. I always like watching that little bulldog, Shaqiri, though. He's such a good player. And Sweden do seem like the stereotypical, hardworking-but-dull Scandinavian team, since Ibrahimovic called it a day.

• Like 2