Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

How are you all feeling about the video ref thing? I think it has definitely it's benefits despite the controversy about one of the decisions.

I can't remember the last time a team as bad as Russia's made it out of the group round.  Were they not the host nation, they'd never even have qualified.

1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

How are you all feeling about the video ref thing? I think it has definitely it's benefits despite the controversy about one of the decisions.

For the most part it's been unobtrusive so far.  I was afraid it was going to work like in the NFL where everything stops every time someone wants a call reviewed.  As long as play generally keeps moving, I'm okay with it.

• Like 1

I thought the Argentina/Croatia game was unnecessarily violent- it was more than the usual collisions/accidents of play.  If I'd been a ref, I would have handed out a couple of red cards.

And did the Argentinian team leave the field without shaking hands??  My dvd cut off right after the 93rd minute.

18 hours ago, MostlyC said:

And did the Argentinian team leave the field without shaking hands??

Yep, they bailed.  Such petulant children.  And IA about the red cards; the ref didn't do enough to keep the teams in check.

• Like 3

Is it just me or is Alexi Lalas a bit obnoxious and annoying? I didn't have a problem with him when he was partnered with Michael Ballack 4 years ago, but I guess it turns out I just like Michael Ballack. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

Is it just me or is Alexi Lalas a bit obnoxious and annoying? I didn't have a problem with him when he was partnered with Michael Ballack 4 years ago, but I guess it turns out I just like Michael Ballack. 

Yes, I think that Lalas comes off as full of himself.

• Like 4

Well, it was another two wild days at the World Cup.  Three great matches both days, and so many groups still up in the air until the last match.

Go England!

• Like 3

Senegal/Japan was awesome. More of that, please.

I was thinking this World Cup was relatively low on drama, and then the Argentina squad attempted a coup...?

• Like 4

The way Group B went out was High Drama.

Seriously, though, if that had been anyone but Ronaldo would it have been a red card? (I wasn't watching that game, I was watching the Spain/Morocco one.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

Seriously, though, if that had been anyone but Ronaldo would it have been a red card? (I wasn't watching that game, I was watching the Spain/Morocco one.)

I was also watching the Spain/Morocco one, but the Fox commentators asked the same thing after the match. Probably not. 

I guess it's old news now, but guys. That Toni Kroos free kick. Gorgeous!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dandesun said:

The way Group B went out was High Drama.

Yes, it probably would've been a red for almost anyone else.  I was hoping Iran would win and knock Ronaldo's whiny ass out of the competition.  And I so wanted Morocco to win.

Russia finally hit real competition, and you see what happened.  I wouldn't normally give them much of a chance against Spain, but that team hasn't impressed me in the group round, so who knows?  Uruguay should take care of Portugal easily enough, though.

Glad for Saudi Arabia, although I wish it hadn't gotten its win against Egypt.

• Like 4

Croatia is tearing it up. Although I'm sorry to see Iceland go. They were so much fun in the Euros and I love underdogs like that. Argentina I remain mixed about because I freaking LOVE Messi and I hate seeing his sad face but, at the same time, I do not want to see praying, crying Maradona all the live long day. It's funny, over the years there have been several Argentina players that I just love (Crespo, Batistuta, Messi) but I've never been able to bring myself to root for the team... possibly because they always end playing against Germany (my last name is Schultze, of course I root for Germany) so, yeah.

Denmark is still in it and I root for them because I'm part Dane on my Mom's side. Spain I root for because I want to live in Barcelona. This year, I'm also kind of digging Belgium but that may because of the Volkswagen commercial. "That's Hans. He's my lighting guy." I don't even know what to tell you.

Group of Death lived up to its name. That was a hell of a ride.

• Like 5

Mexico escaped. Germany did not deserve to advance, played awful in all three of their games and struggled against SK the entire game. I didn't recognized a thing from the team that won the last WC and did play really well at the last EURO's.

• Like 3

Seriously, Germany? You lose 2-0 to South Korea. Not only that but you let them score two goals in stoppage time? WTF. Love Germany but they clearly weren’t ready for this World Cup. The Champions curse continues, this is what the fifth tournament in a row where the defending champ fails to make it out of group stage. 

• Like 3

SK scored because Germany started playing Russian Roulette(no pun intended) with their defense by taking out defensive players for offensive players. Sometimes it works and sometimes it ends up like this.

• Like 1

I only really watch World Cup games, but that was the first hockey style Empty Net goal I've seen in soccer.

Germany missed a lot of close chances and were desperate to score, as a tie meant elimination. If this was the first game of group stage, they probably would have settled for a scoreless draw.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dandesun said:

This year, I'm also kind of digging Belgium but that may because of the Volkswagen commercial. "That's Hans. He's my lighting guy." I don't even know what to tell you.

I've considered going into a Volkswagen dealership and offering to buy a car if I can get Hans, the lighting guy, with it.

Oh, and my bracket is officially busted all to hell.  Germany has never been my favorite team, but up until now they've been such machines I couldn't even conceive of them not making it out of the group rounds.

• Like 4

I'm gobsmacked. Not gonna lie. Germany has not been playing well at all but they're such an institution you just kind of assume they'd figure it out. At the end of the Sweden game I was feeling like they didn't deserve to move forward. No, this is not the team that won last time or did so well in the Euros. I just... they've been my team for so long... I really have no idea what to do with myself.

Spain is still in it but they haven't been impressing me either. Still, they've at least managed to score. Germany had a hell of a time with that even with the sheer amount of chances they had.

Denmark is still in it.

Seriously, at this point... Belgium (with Hans as the lighting guy) is really putting on a show. Belgium and England. I am stunned by this turn of events. This World Cup is really surprising me.

• Like 6

Spain, France, Argentina - a lot of the big teams have been quite meh in this tournament. Perhaps that will change once the knockout rounds begin.

I didn't expect Germany to go far in this tournament, but I did not expect a Group Stage exit. Anyway, at least I will always have that sexy Toni Kroos free kick from the Sweden game.

4 hours ago, Darknight said:

I can't believe Germany won 4 years ago and is out now. 

It's happened before:

• Like 3

Maybe the thing to do when defending a cup win is to bench the old guard and go with hungry youth whenever possible. The vets who've won may have gotten complacent.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Spain, France, Argentina - a lot of the big teams have been quite meh in this tournament. Perhaps that will change once the knockout rounds begin.

Well, only two of those three teams can advance, thanks to the France/Argentina match. 

The upsets are what make the World Cup interesting, so it's no skin off my nose if all the favourites get knocked out. I doubt Mexico will defeat Brazil, though.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OnceSane said:

I'm so sad for Senegal, I really wanted them to make the knockout round.

Me too! They were a delightful team to watch.

What little I saw of Belgium-England was a snore.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

What little I saw of Belgium-England was a snore.

It was quite boring. Neither team were really going for it, probably because they knew they were in and the easier route to the trophy would be to be second. I'm curious to see how far England will go. 

Oh well, we've got some interesting matches coming up in the next week. 

• Like 1

The game was very boring, but I was way too distracted by the eye candy on both teams.

Edited by twoods

I will say this about the England game: I was shocked to see that it was Adnan Januzaj that scored for Belgium. I'd totally forgotten about him after he left Manchester United. I checked, and he's been playing for Real Sociedad in Spain since last year. Maybe, depending on how Belgium does, he'll get a big transfer move after this tournament.

I'll miss Iceland because I won't see the Viking clap anymore.  I'll miss Senegal because I won't see the dancing anymore.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I will say this about the England game: I was shocked to see that it was Adnan Januzaj that scored for Belgium. I'd totally forgotten about him after he left Manchester United. I checked, and he's been playing for Real Sociedad in Spain since last year. Maybe, depending on how Belgium does, he'll get a big transfer move after this tournament.

I'm glad he's resurrecting his career in Spain. I had such high hopes for him at United, but he just didn't live up to the hype, or to the pressure. I think he'd be better off staying at Real Sociedad for a season or two, to really develop as a player. The talent has always been undeniable.

I'm actually really bummed that Germany are out, because I love the youth development ethos, and how they were so willing to tear everything up and start again the last time they had a big tournament failure (Euro 2004). And they have so many fantastic players. But it just didn't come together for them, somehow. That game against South Korea was emblematic of their entire performance. Nothing was going right. Mental mistakes, careless attitudes, frustration.

What I wouldn't give, right now, for a Belgium vs Croatia final. Two new teams, who play great football and are full of talent. I think they're the most complete teams in this tournament. 

• Like 4

Argentina was leading France 2 - 1.  I went outside for about 15 minutes and when I came back France was up 4 - 2.  Damn, guess I missed something.

• Like 1

Argentina just weren't good enough. They were overpowered in midfield, and their defence wasn't up to dealing with Mbappe.

I don't care one way or the other about the Messi narrative, but he's not enough to beat a team like France on his own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Argentina just weren't good enough. They were overpowered in midfield, and their defence wasn't up to dealing with Mbappe.

I don't care one way or the other about the Messi narrative, but he's not enough to beat a team like France on his own.

This.  One man cannot beat an entire team.   It didn't help that Argentina played extremely sloppy and weren't on point mentally.

• Like 3

I don't have a dog in this fight, so congrats to France and Uruguay. 

I am especially grateful for the eye candy on all of the teams.

• Like 5

I watched Portugal first and am now on France. Ronaldo clearly said ‘fuck’ at one point and the French goalkeeper just said ‘shit’ in response to the second goal. I’m so proud that English curse words are just part of the worldwide vernacular. 

• Like 5