Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

On ‎04‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, Silver Raven said:

Fox Sports is only sending four announcers to Russia.  The rest of the matches will be announced from the studios in Los Angeles.

https://deadspin.com/fox-sports-is-half-assing-the-world-cup-1825544146?

And most of the team are crappy American announcers at that.  I'll really miss Ian Darke and Adrian Healey.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 2

On May 4, 2018 at 1:14 PM, proserpina65 said:

And most of the team are crappy American announcers at that.  I'll really miss Ian Darke and Adrian Healey.

Univision all the way.  You can either turn the sound off, or think of it as a chance to work on your language skills.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Univision all the way.  You can either turn the sound off, or think of it as a chance to work on your language skills.

I have been wanting to learn Spanish, so...

Just watched France's warm-up friendly vs. the United States. Woof - that French team looked lethargic, though they still outshot the US in the second half. 

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, meep.meep said:

I'm not sure I get Univision, but you can bet I'm checking on it.

One day to go!  Woo-hoo!  Although, to be honest, I probably won't watch the Russia-Saudi Arabia match.  I work full time so will have to pick and choose carefully what I tape, and neither participant is really that interesting.  I will, however, get up early on Saturday in order to be ready for the Iceland-Argentina match.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, proserpina65 said:

I'm not sure I get Univision, but you can bet I'm checking on it.

Just discovered that although I get A Univision channel, it's apparently not the one running matches.  Pooey.

3 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

So Spain thought it was a great idea to fire their coach two days before their first game...

http://www.espn.com/soccer/spain/story/3524002/julen-lopetegui-sacked-by-spain-before-world-cup-after-taking-real-madrid-job

Yeah, that's pretty crazy, since he's the one who revitalized a thoroughly demoralized, beaten-down team.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 1

And there's Russia's likely only win.  Because the chances of them beating Uruguay are miniscule, and if Mo Salah is recovered, Egypt should get past them easily enough as well.

Well, I'm rather pleased for the Iranian players. I was half watching the game, with the sound off, while I got a bit of work done. It looked like Morocco were having the best of the game, but they couldn't make that breakthrough. But Iran have had a rough time, without sponsorship deals and in a country that is struggling with nascent, often-quashed attempts to liberalise, and doesn't really know what the immediate future holds. Also, these dudes know how to dress:

Iran-players-in-smart-suits.jpg

• Like 8

This Spain/Portugal game is already both awesome & infuriating.  What the fuck was that call at the 26' mark?  Portugal had control and that was NOT a foul.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well, I'm rather pleased for the Iranian players. I was half watching the game, with the sound off, while I got a bit of work done. It looked like Morocco were having the best of the game, but they couldn't make that breakthrough. But Iran have had a rough time, without sponsorship deals and in a country that is struggling with nascent, often-quashed attempts to liberalise, and doesn't really know what the immediate future holds. Also, these dudes know how to dress:

Iran-players-in-smart-suits.jpg

This morning, before the match our local channel in DC interviewed the owner of an Iranian bar.  I'm guessing they lost their minds when Iran won.  

• Like 1

Okay, let me just say I'm gonna need name, address, phone number and shirtless pics of the Chris Hemsworth lookalike on Team Iceland. This is way too much eye candy for one soccer field.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Okay, let me just say I'm gonna need name, address, phone number and shirtless pics of the Chris Hemsworth lookalike on Team Iceland.

Do you mean the goalie?

Edit:  I don't think it's the goalie but I think I know the guy you're talking about.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Do you mean the goalie?

The one with the long blond hair that's out on the field. I'm trying to figure out who he is but the camera doesn't stay on them long enough. 

Found him:

976179312.jpeg

• Like 3

Well, Germany are going to have to play better than that in their next two games. They've got South Korea and Sweden, and they'll have to beat both. Which they should be able to do. But then again, they should have beaten Mexico as well.

It's funny, every four years I get really excited about the World Cup, and somehow forget that most of the games, at least in the group stages,  are 1-0, 1-1 affairs. Teams too afraid to take chances, too concerned with keeping things tight and being organised.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, meep.meep said:

It's not that Messi missed, it's that the Iceland keeper read him like a book.  Let's talk about him.

Halldorsson had an incredible match, that's for sure.

Aly Wagner was a pleasant surprise as an announcer during what I saw of the Serbia-Costa Rica match, but JP Dellacamera and Tony Meola lived down to my expectations.  They were terrible.  And one of them desperately needs to learn how to say Mesut Ozil's last name correctly.  I admit that I say an English bastardization of it, but at least I know it's not O-Seal.

• Like 1

The German team looked shell shocked for all of the game.  The Mexican team unattractively cocky.  Here's a little tip - just because you won by one goal unexpectedly doesn't mean that the next team you play against won't hand you your ass. It's a bit early to gloat.  I was actually rooting for the Mexicans as the underdogs but after observing the behavior of the team and their fans I was really turned off.

Now I am rooting for the Germans to win their next game.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, magdalene said:

The German team looked shell shocked for all of the game.  The Mexican team unattractively cocky.  Here's a little tip - just because you won by one goal unexpectedly doesn't mean that the next team you play against won't hand you your ass. It's a bit early to gloat.  I was actually rooting for the Mexicans as the underdogs but after observing the behavior of the team and their fans I was really turned off.

tbh I agree with you, and I thought it was just me due to my distaste for underdog narratives (I'm american so it's embedded in our culture -- I'm sick of it!) and being a fan of some of the German players (I'm a bayern fan) but from the way the fans were acting you'd think they had just won the whole tournament. As for the performance, I thought the young German players (Kimmich, Werner) did well and had the energy and drive some of others seemed to lack. 

On another note, Marco Reus finally gets to the World Cup! He was supposed to be the squad for the 2010 and 2014 tournaments but got injured before both AND missed the Euros 2016 because of injury. I'm amazed he didn't get injured on the way to the airport. 

• Like 4

Damn, looks like I should've watched the Brazil-Switzerland match after all!  I didn't because I dislike that crybaby diver Neymar, but this one sounds like it was an exciting match.  Of course Neymar did fall over a lot, apparently.

• Like 4

I love the World Cup.  In some ways, it’s like watching an opera or a telenovela. 

And yes, there is soccer/football too.  Very impressed with some of their skills.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Ok, at first I was happy for the Mexican fans, but then I read this article.  So now I hope they get beat from now on.  

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fifa-world-cup/mexico-face-disciplinary-case-over-homophobic-chant/ar-AAyOrta?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=msnHomepage

That's been a continuing issue with some Mexican fans.  Not all, but enough for it to really obvious.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That's been a continuing issue with some Mexican fans.  Not all, but enough for it to really obvious.

Wow, I don't follow soccer/football until World Cup, so I did not know that.

8 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Wow, I don't follow soccer/football until World Cup, so I did not know that.

Yeah, the Mexican football federation has already gotten in trouble for the chanting at various World Cup qualifiers, and have asked fans to stop, but obviously that's had no effect.

• Like 1

My brother always roots for England. It was nice to see them get off to a good start.

As for Germany... well, they've got two more games. I tend to root for them. I was dozing that morning (got a shitty night's sleep, one of our dogs kept me up all. freaking. night.) and was dreaming that Germany actually was getting beaten 6-0 and my semi-conscious brain was fretting about goal differentials and all that... but then I opened my eyes and saw that it was 1-0 and was all 'Oh, that's not so bad.'

But, yeah, Iceland!! They were SO much fun during the Euros and it's great to see them get off to a good start here, too. I was doing the thunderclap at the wine festival I went to on Saturday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Ok, at first I was happy for the Mexican fans, but then I read this article.  So now I hope they get beat from now on.  

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fifa-world-cup/mexico-face-disciplinary-case-over-homophobic-chant/ar-AAyOrta?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=msnHomepage

Unfortunately homophobia is very common in Mexico.

There has also been nasty and bullying behavior  from Mexican fans towards German fans in the host country. 

I cannot root for the Mexican team.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I follow the sport year round but hadn't heard of that! The federation has been sanctioned TWELVE times?? Of course it's not the federation's fault, they've asked fans to stop. And the article mentioned that it happened at the 2014 WC as well but FIFA didn't do much then and only recently started cracking down on this, so the sanctions all happened in the last few years. What is this chant anyway?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

What is this chant anyway?

I won't repeat it but you can find it in this article, which goes on to say that homophobic slurs not exclusive to the Mexico fans.  I knew there were racial slurs, but I didn't realize the extent of other slurs as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/18/puto-chants-mexico-football-world-cup

Edited by Ohwell

Japan stuns Colombia! I love it.

And that red card was absolutely deserved. 

I didn't because I dislike that crybaby diver Neymar, but this one sounds like it was an exciting match.  Of course Neymar did fall over a lot, apparently.

I'm pretty sure Neymar diving and wailing his way through most of the 2014 World Cup, then getting badly injured for real and missing the crucial semi-final where Brazil got humiliated by Germany is the dictionary definition of karma. Fuck Neymar.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Like 8

Neymar is a petulant child, who threw away the chances of becoming a legendary player for Barcelona, to play in an noncompetitive league, just because he couldn't handle being Messi's sidekick.

And, lo-and-behold, there are already rumours of him not being happy at PSG, and wanting to move to Real Madrid. That would go down really well....

• Like 4

21 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Those of you on the east coast might feel an easterly breeze from all of England exhaling simultaneously.

I felt sorry for Tunisia, they really did play a great game.  If I wasn't an England supporter, I'd probably have been hoping Tunisia would win.  Same with Panama and Belgium.

2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Neymar is a petulant child, who threw away the chances of becoming a legendary player for Barcelona, to play in an noncompetitive league, just because he couldn't handle being Messi's sidekick.

And, lo-and-behold, there are already rumours of him not being happy at PSG, and wanting to move to Real Madrid. That would go down really well....

Yep, he'd have to be second to Cristiano Ronaldo, and you know he'd hate that.  I'm not sure one team could hold that much ego.

3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Works for me! Barcelona is my number two team (first is Bayern) so I hate Real. Neymar can join up with Ronaldo and make my football related ire concentrated there. Easy peasy.

Edited by Dandesun