Type keyword(s) to search

America's Test Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I made their French Coconut Pie recipe not too long ago.  (Don't remember which season it was from, but Chris was on).   If you like coconut, I highly recommend it.  They actually called for a store-bought pie crust (shocking!) so it went together very quickly, after prebaking the crust, and not too many dished dirtied.  Maybe only two?

It needed some chocolate though, IMO.  I am trying to decide between mini chocolate chips mixed in or perhaps a chocolate crumb crust instead of a "regular" pie crust. Perhaps a ganache drizzled on top?

I've watched Bridget and Julia for years "teaching" Chris a thing or two---the teaching each other shtick doesn't work a bit here. Otoh, coming out excited about this week's recipes and then each one taking over and running with it? Sounds better to me. Throw in a segment in which a new instructor shows them something they feel strongly about? I'd watch that. The conceit with CI and ATK and every other permutation of marketing/packaging/subscribing is that they'd tested each recipe 12 ways to Sunday and worked out the "best" way to (important here) get to what they're describing as the dish. Truly authentic ethnic recipe? Nope. Time-honored traditional meat loaf (e.g.), yep. Dozens of ways to make chicken tasty? Thanks!

If they're showing three steps in the cooling process for a baked item, they're going after inexperienced cooks/bakers. Too much of that and they loose the regular crowd. The real challenge is finding new recipes after all the years, while staying within their parameters (no molecular gastronomy, thanks).

Bridget and Julia getting back together at the end to sample their stuff sounds like fun.

• Love 1

I finally got to see an episode of this season with the Sticky Buns. I kept asking, why is Julie there? She performs the same role as Bridget so having her as an observer seems silly. Chris's idiosyncrasies never bothered me (except for getting too chummy with Bridget) and I enjoyed watching this knowledgeable person just stand there, not talk as to derail the instructions, and make it work. 

Otherwise I just fast forwarded through the episode since I'm not bothering to make sticky buns.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, Violet Penner said:

Ha anyone seen the Sticky Bun episode yet? When Bridget and Julia were eating them at the end and then kind of got the giggles, it seemed the most real I've ever seen them. I like them both, but do feel a certain level of phoniness from them. (Maybe the phony comes from pretending to teach someone who already knows). But the end segment was so out of character and real, it made me seek out this board and post. Curious as to other thoughts. 

I saw it this weekend, and I think it's true that laughter can be contagious. I was laughing just watching them laugh, and trying not to laugh, and continuing to do things that would make them laugh. Somehow I get the feeling that if CK was still on the show, they would have had a much more subdued ending. Probably Bridget and CK eating them and talking about how good they are. Not making jokes and licking the plate.

• Love 2

I don't know, for me the way they kept gorging on those sticky buns like they were having sex with them and leaving dead air time as they did it was vaguely uncomfortable for me to watch.  I'd have appreciated a little less of that.  I love it that they're having a good time and all, but somehow came away from this episode unable to appreciate that and still feeling like it was somewhat overdone and forced.

• Love 3
On 1/16/2017 at 9:53 AM, Athena said:

There have been a few episodes since November, but none for a few weeks now. Does anyone have news about it?

A "new" episode appeared in my feed today - but the intro just said the ATK Radio was taking a hiatus and then they played an episode of "The Splendid Table"

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Violet Penner said:

A "new" episode appeared in my feed today - but the intro just said the ATK Radio was taking a hiatus and then they played an episode of "The Splendid Table"

Thanks. If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known. I unsubscribed awhile ago after I had tried Chris Kimball's Milk Street. He has all the elements of the ATK Radio podcast on his new one. Sara is no Bridget, but I really like the format mix of call in advice, food philosophizing, tips, and interviews.

• Love 1

I feel like I'm committing adultery, but I actually listen to both ATK and Milk Street.  I'm obsessed with podcasts and love food podcasts.  (other food ones I listen to: the Sporkful, Foodstuff, Gastropod, The Splendid Table, Prince Street, and Bite).  They're a nice distraction from all the politics podcasts!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Violet Penner said:

I feel like I'm committing adultery, but I actually listen to both ATK and Milk Street.  I'm obsessed with podcasts and love food podcasts.  (other food ones I listen to: the Sporkful, Foodstuff, Gastropod, The Splendid Table, Prince Street, and Bite).  They're a nice distraction from all the politics podcasts!

Yeah, I know the feeling, but it didn't look like there were any new ATK Radio podcast episodes and I didn't like the last few. I'd honestly listen to Bridget answering questions all day with her food knowledge, but alas, it was not to be. I love food podcasts too. I listen to most of the podcasts you listed and a little more news food ones such as the BBC's The Food Chain and Food Programme. You may like Food Non-Fiction as well; it's short and concise food history one.

• Love 1

I finally watched the season premiere, and didn't miss Chris at all.

The equipment test of the paper towel holders annoyed me; Adam spent all that time on what was wrong with the rejects, and then explaining why the tension arm was best -- but he never demonstrated how it worked when tearing off a towel.  He'd shown how the standard arm doesn't let you tear off a towel one handed once the roll is down a fair bit (because now there's too much space in between), but didn't show how the tension arm worked so much better.  And while I have no doubt the tension design works great for holding the roll in place while you tear off a sheet, I wanted to see if it created too much resistance while you were pulling on the roll -- did it drag?  It was just very disappointing not to see the winner demonstrated; it would have added very little time to the segment, and any extra time could have easily been taken from all the grousing about the designs that didn't pass muster.

I liked the cast-iron steak with compound butter segment, though; I have a NY strip steak, which isn't my favorite cut, in the freezer.  I don't normally make sauce for steaks, because I just want to taste the seasoned meat, but that butter sounded delicious and, since it's not my favorite cut, I'd be more inclined to add a sauce.  So I think I'll defrost the steak next week and cook it the way they did.

I was surprised they took it off the heat at 120 degrees, though; for medium rare, I take mine off at 130.

Is it just my affiliate or are others showing earlier episodes (like season one episodes)? Could just be because of the current fundraiser mine is having but since it's like Episode 12 of season 1 there is a good chance I just didn't see it until now.

10 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Is it just my affiliate or are others showing earlier episodes (like season one episodes)? Could just be because of the current fundraiser mine is having but since it's like Episode 12 of season 1 there is a good chance I just didn't see it until now.

Season 1 Episode 12 was on pies (I saw it on YouTube) and that was like 16 years ago!  They never show episodes that old on my PBS stations!  They're not showing any new episodes in my area right now.  I think it's because of fund raisers but I'm not sure.

I think I saw a new-season episode on Thirteen in NYC—Julia pan-fried salmon, Bridget did a fish sauce taste test, and Elle made shrimp scampi. This was the first episode in at least a month, likely due to fund-raising. 

On 3/13/2017 at 0:16 AM, Snarklepuss said:

Season 1 Episode 12 was on pies (I saw it on YouTube) and that was like 16 years ago!  They never show episodes that old on my PBS stations!  They're not showing any new episodes in my area right now.  I think it's because of fund raisers but I'm not sure.

This episode is titled "Perfect Pork" with a 9/1/01 air date. Starts in 15 so I'll see what actually airs. No new episodes here either.

Edit: Wikipedia has that as Episode 5 of season 1 and this old episode appears to be the only one so who knows what the play is until it airs.

Edit #2: It was neither, it was a guide mistake!

Edited by Skyfall

In honor of Pi day, I made the French Coconut Pie again, but used a store-bought Oreo crumb crust this time.  It came out perfectly and added a needed bit of chocolate.  I still may try throwing in some mini chocolate chips next time.  And there will be a next time fairly soon.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 1

When I make a pie for Pi Day, I make it in a square pan because Pi R squared (ancient but venerable joke).

The coconut pie in a chocolate crust sounds excellent.  I think mini chocolate chips would be too much with the coconut, but a decorative drizzle of chocolate ganache sounds just right.

Am I the only one who does not detect the slightest hint of chocolate flavor in Oreos?   I'm still not convinced there is actual cocoa in them, although the ingredient list tells me otherwise.

I just watched the second episode of the season; still not missing Chris in the slightest. 

I'm not a stew fan, so the recipes didn't do anything for me, but I liked the "Worst Gadgets of the Year" segment, especially how thoroughly annoyed Lisa was by that salad dressing mixer.

I pretty much always have pesto on hand or can easily make some, since I have basil plants in the backyard, but I remember using the Buitoni many, many years ago and thinking it was decent, so I'm not surprised that was the winner in the taste test.

Edited by Bastet

Channel 13 in NYC showed the sticky bun episode this afternoon. I loved how mesmerized Bridget was with the construction of the sticky buns. I also really enjoyed the obvious enjoyment she and Julia showed while eating them. I think they showed so much of it because the episode ran a little short elsewhere.

On 3/18/2017 at 3:25 PM, Bastet said:

I just watched the second episode of the season; still not missing Chris in the slightest. 

When the now 11 year old miniToothbrush was 6 or 7, she thought that Julia, Bridget et al were teaching Chris how to cook. So now the family joke is that he has now learned to cook and has gone off on his own..lol

I like Bridget & Julia together, but I wish that they each had a cooking segment with one of the other test cooks per episode, and then switch off for the tasting & product tests. 

• Love 1
On 2/22/2017 at 9:38 PM, Violet Penner said:

Ha anyone seen the Sticky Bun episode yet? When Bridget and Julia were eating them at the end and then kind of got the giggles, it seemed the most real I've ever seen them.

I enjoyed that.  It took away some of the irritation from Bridget's "go ahead"s - the count this time was 11.  Ten "I'm going to go ahead and..." and one "I've gone ahead and..."  I just have to believe she never watches her own segments.

ETA: I just watched the one with the red lentil soup.  Am I the only one who's bothered by people eating with big spoons?  I don't like to do it myself, and when Erin put the big spoon in her mouth, you could hear it clack against her teeth and I hate that sound.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 2

I just watched the sticky bun episode and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I always thought Christopher Kimball seemed like a bit of a dick and I don't miss him in the least - today's episode just showed how much fun they can have when he's not there.

• Love 2
On 1/26/2017 at 6:02 PM, J-Man said:

And Adam tested kitchen trash cans; the winner costs a whopping $180! Are they running out of ideas?

I finally got around to watching this episode, and oh my god.  I'm not the target audience for that segment, anyway; it's just me, and I compost and recycle, so there isn't enough left to necessitate a large trash bin in my kitchen -- I neither need one that size nor want one just sitting out in the open.  My rubbish bin is is a "regular" (bathroom?) size one kept under the sink. 

But if I was going to have something sitting out, of a size it wouldn't take me months to fill, I'd want it to have the qualities they tested for -- but no way in hell I'd pay nearly $200 for it.  It's a trash receptacle!  This may be the one time I wind up missing Chris, because I feel as if he'd have had an appropriate WTF? reaction.

I confess to owning the $180 trash bin. Dr Toothbrush bought it, and I had no idea how much it cost until I went to BB&B to buy more liners & had to look at the display to confirm which ones we needed. We've had it for about 4 years & I still can't believe he spent that much money for a trash can, but I must admit it looks nice, is convenient, and big enough that we rarely have to replace the liner more than once a week. And with 1 teenage boy & 2 tween girls, that is a feat in itself. 

On 3/29/2017 at 11:31 AM, Toothbrush said:

I confess to owning the $180 trash bin. Dr Toothbrush bought it, and I had no idea how much it cost until I went to BB&B to buy more liners & had to look at the display to confirm which ones we needed. We've had it for about 4 years & I still can't believe he spent that much money for a trash can, but I must admit it looks nice, is convenient, and big enough that we rarely have to replace the liner more than once a week. And with 1 teenage boy & 2 tween girls, that is a feat in itself. 

I hope he used a 20% off coupon!  I get one from them just about every other week not to mention the ones that fall out of magazines, etc.

My $69.00 step can from Walmart is going on 4 years right now and doing just fine.

I thought the disparity between the winner and the value pick was funny.  Again, I'm not the audience for it, since I don't need anything remotely that large and don't want something out in the open, regardless, so this was just entertainment.  Thus it was funny to see the first recommendation be spending nearly $200 on a TRASH CAN and the second suggestion to be spending about $20 on an ugly, bare-bones model -- either don't drop more than a few bucks on something that is merely a receptacle for rubbish or go hog wild and grossly over spend on something that is the best of the non-basic models.  The difference between the top pick and value pick isn't often that vast.

I just watched the "Outsmarting Thanksgiving" episode and have never in my life seen such an over the top, elaborate way to make gravy.  Fifty steps (okay, I'm exaggerating a little), numerous strainings, and using various bowls and pans came across as pretentious.  Whatever happened to throwing the neck and giblets in the pan, roasting them along with the turkey, and making the gravy in the roasting pan?  You can pour the drippings into the fat separator, work on the rest of your ingredients in the pan, pour your drippings and other liquids back in the pan, and finally strain it into your serving bowl without all of the folderol, wasted time and huge pile of dirty dishes.

• Love 4

Haha I was watching an old episode of s16 where they made a fruit salsa.

Omg! They used like 5 or 6 bowls for one freaking salsa. 

I'm liking the new season. I'm getting used to no Chris and I think they are finding their footing. I find the person not cooking is no longer pretending they can't cook but that they are just providing company to the cooking person so it's flowing much better. 

• Love 3

ATK has never been about the most efficient way to make a recipe, heh. I do think they sometimes don't show steps that could be combined in order to be clear, but they could mention it. "You can sift the flour directly into the beaten eggs," for instance. (This doesn't refer to anything specific.)

• Love 1

I recently saw the episode of Cooks Country where they made Eggs in Purgatory, and they cracked each egg into its own bowl, so eight bowls total for the eggs alone. They did this, apparently, to speed up the part where the eggs go into the sauce, but when I was watching, I was like, no chance I would do that. What's funny is that the recipe as written on the site does not call for that step. I do wonder if sometimes they do things because they forget the reality of what those recipes would really be like in a non-professional kitchen where space is limited and people are doing their own cleanup! Maybe the home recipe testers give them those kinds of notes, and that's why that step is missing on the site.

• Love 1

Because I don't have a dishwasher (other than my two hands), my ATK game is to count how many bowls, boards, pots, pans, knives, racks and utensils they use for each recipe. I would say it averages about 40 per dish, higher when there are spice blends or they're doing stir frys with lots of fiddly ingredients decanted into those little glass bowls that no real-world cook I know has. I realize it's all for TV presentation, but, c'mon, it's hilarious sometimes.

• Love 4

Yeah, I get those little bowls of pre-measured spices; it saves time for the TV presentation. But in the Eggs in Purgatory segment, Becky actually insisted that it was necessary to the recipe to pre-crack each egg into its own separate bowl. I was kind of surprised Chris (old episode) didn't scoff at those eight bowls lined up on the counter, because he sometimes eyerolls at the fussier steps they take.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

Because I don't have a dishwasher (other than my two hands), my ATK game is to count how many bowls, boards, pots, pans, knives, racks and utensils they use for each recipe. I would say it averages about 40 per dish, higher when there are spice blends or they're doing stir frys with lots of fiddly ingredients decanted into those little glass bowls that no real-world cook I know has. I realize it's all for TV presentation, but, c'mon, it's hilarious sometimes.

I have 8 of them or 2 sets.  We use them for condiments.  They go in the dishwasher, we love them.

• Love 2
On 4/7/2017 at 11:39 AM, AllAboutMBTV said:

I love when they're mixing four or five ingredients (each with their own bowl) and use a different utensil for each added ingredient.  First a whisk, then a small rubber spatula, then a giant wooden spoon, back to the whisk, and then scrape it out of the bowl with a giant rubber spatula.

It also bugs me when they don't use all of the ingredients that are in the "little bowls", especially when they're baking.  They've gotten better at this, but many times they've poured out the item (especially if it's a heavier liquid kind of item like honey or sour cream) and a good third of it's left in the disgarded little bowl.

Oh!  And to watch them, you'd never know that you're supposed to actually stir in the salt, pepper, splash of lemon juice or 52 pounds of freshly chopped parsley you added at the end.  They throw this stuff in and the next thing you know they're serving the dish without apparently giving it a stir first.

• Love 2

The endless brining always cracks my hubby up! The other day we watched them brine beans while he was still recovering from their mushroom brining.

I am one of those people who NO fridge space even though I have a huge fridge so brining is just not feasible for me even though I agree with their reasons for doing it. 

I love watching them for ideas and the general science behind it but then I cut the 10000 steps that can be cut because I simply do not have the time. The BEST thing I ever learned from them was to add gelatine to my lemon curd! My curd cakes used to suffer from dripping or sliding and now with the gelatine it's perfect! Changed my life! 

• Love 3

Love their blueberry boy bait recipe. It's a favourite with my boys and the name tickles their fancy as well.

Our favourite version is to make Strawberry boy bait. i buy strawberries in bulk during peak season for $1 a punnet, dry them in the airfryer and store them for boy bait. 

I just watched an episode I had on my DVR of Korean food (while my DVR had a description of the episode being about baked Alaska, which made me a little disappointed, but oh well) and my primary thought is that I hope they do more spicy dishes now that CK isn't there to whine and power through anything that has more spice and heat than McCormick and Schmick's chili powder. Like I want to see them do Caribbean dishes that use some Scotch Bonnets and habanero.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Automne said:

I just watched an episode I had on my DVR of Korean food (while my DVR had a description of the episode being about baked Alaska, which made me a little disappointed, but oh well) and my primary thought is that I hope they do more spicy dishes now that CK isn't there to whine and power through anything that has more spice and heat than McCormick and Schmick's chili powder. Like I want to see them do Caribbean dishes that use some Scotch Bonnets and habanero.

The sauce they made for the wings is pretty similar to one that I make, and the episode made me so hungry for it (unfortunately, I didn't have any wings in the freezer).

Then Julia (or Bridget? I've already forgotten) and Adam kept talking about donuts, and made me crave them instead; I resisted the urge to run out and buy some.

Anyway, yes, it is nice not to have to deal with Chris's reactions to the slightest bit of heat. 

• Love 1

I really didn't enjoy Chris as host of ATK. He worked well for Cook's Country, but he was just too restrictive for a true "American test kitchen," and that was reflected in the (lack of) diversity in chefs and dishes.

Chris's dynamic with the cooks always annoyed me as well. They were the experts but had to stare at him submissively while he gave condescending explanations.

That said, why is the show trying to replicate the old dynamic with Bridget and Julia? They have natural camaraderie. Let someone introduce the segment and then let them cook together. It worked for Two Fat Ladies and Down Home with the Neelys. Just be real and tell honest stories about how the recipe came about.

• Love 4

I wonder if they'll adjust the format a bit if there's another season. I suspect they didn't want to change things up too much when Chris left because his absence was a big enough difference right there. Julia and Bridget work so well together, and I always think it's weird when one "teaches" the other. They're both pros! Or maybe one just needs to say, "When we were working on this recipe, we found..." to kind of own that dish.

1 hour ago, huahaha said:

They were the experts but had to stare at him submissively while he gave condescending explanations.

Someone actually asked a similar question on ATK Radio when Chris was still there. Bridget laughed and basically said that after they cooked or spoke, there wasn't anywhere else to look without it being awkward. I think Chris's height and demeanor made it seem like they were more submissive than they were really were. I can take or leave Chris when he was on ATK, but I do listen to the Milk Street radio podcast. I can't take his personality all the time though.