Type keyword(s) to search

America's Test Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I make their mapo tofu fairly often and think it’s delicious.

I am sure it is. It's just that tofu is not the most popular ingredient on US dinner tables; that's why I was surprised to see the recipe show up. Same thing with cauliflower (although it's now being used in "healthy" Alfredo sauce and pizza crust products).

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Florinaldo said:

I am sure it is. It's just that tofu is not the most popular ingredient on US dinner tables; that's why I was surprised to see the recipe show up. Same thing with cauliflower (although it's now being used in "healthy" Alfredo sauce and pizza crust products).

The dish also has meat which is why it made since to me and it’s an easy and accessible recipe that is not too far removed from the original. 

2 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

Isn't that [the viewers shown all being people of means, going by their kitchens] simply a reflection of reality?

Yes, that was indeed my point - they could select from their pool for gender and racial diversity, but not for economic diversity.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

In showing viewers in their home kitchens, they went for gender and racial diversity, but utterly failed at any sort of economic diversity; while airing on public television, this clearly came across as a show watched by people of means.

Really?  Some of those kitchens didn't look so upscale to me.  One guy was clearly in a small apartment and his window faced a wall.  I saw a few with cheap looking outdated cabinets and appliances too.  Also, I've noticed that they tend to choose people with presentable looking homes to put on TV and probably pass over anything that looks too run down.  So I don't think it's that there aren't people of lesser means watching the show. 

7 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

Isn't that simply a reflection of reality? Foodies are usually people with a minimum level of disposable income.

Judging from all of the trailer living home cooks that regularly post on YouTube, there isn't any shortage of lower income foodies out there.

Edited by Yeah No
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Judging from all of the trailer living home cooks that regularly post on YouTube, there isn't any shortage of lower income foodies out there.

You certainly do not have to be rich to be a practicing foodie. But is the fare usually proposed by ATK the kind of food single-parent household strapped for cash are looking for to feed the hungry mouths at home. To my foreign eyes, it seems a tad more refined than the "average" menu preferred in US households.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Florinaldo said:

To my foreign eyes, it seems a tad more refined than the "average" menu preferred in US households.

I wouldn't call the food they prepare more "refined" exactly.  It's definitely not full of all the processed crap that many Americans eat.  It is quite typical American food, prepared correctly, using ingredients that are commonly available.  

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

It's definitely not full of all the processed crap that many Americans eat.

Which is already quite a step towards relative refinement. From my frequent trips to the US, amongst other sources like food products sales figures, I think that "processed crap" is a mainstay in a huge number of US households. ATK recipes are a few notches above that, although certainly not high-level gastronomy.

• Love 1

The anniversary show finally aired in NYC, and I was underwhelmed. A countdown of recipes? Zzzz. I wish there had been more BTS stuff and bloopers. You can't tell me Chris Kimball was in all of those so there was no footage.

I'm surprised the shrimp scampi recipe garnered 28 percent of the vote. That is a LOT. Especially for a recipe that has some fussing around.

• Love 2

I laughed throughout the turkey bacon tasting, all the comments about how they were only picking a "winner" you'd eat if you had to, not something you'd actually want to eat.  I love Bridget saying she'd rather eat the plate.

And no way I'd spend that much time on scrambled eggs.  (I only eat egg whites, as I hate the taste of yolk, so I don't even know how that would come out using the French method.)  The texture looked good (I'm not one freaked out by "underdone" eggs), and it was nice and simple flavors with the herbs and a piece of buttered toast, but standing there for nearly 15 minutes to get a bowl of scrambled eggs?  No thanks.

The lazy pancakes looked good, though - fluffy enough without fussing with the egg whites.

Getting back to Bridget and taste tests, I recently came across an interview in which she revealed the fish sauce taste test was even worse than it looked, because it was filmed at 7:00 in the morning.

• Love 2
On 10/12/2019 at 8:01 PM, BigBingerBro said:

The Hawaiian Macaroni salad looked really good.  I am definitely going to try it.  I didn't care for the new lady that presented it with Julia.  She seemed to tick all the boxes for pulling in a "younger" audience.  I miss Becky, I hope she's still there.

I just saw that episode for the first time and my first thought was that she may be the first person with visible tattoos to appear on ATK/Cook's Country. 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I think tattoos on chefs are more the norm than the exception. I see lots of chefs on tv both on PBS and commercial tv with tats. I haven't seen The Mind of a Chef in awhile, but most of the chefs on that show had tats. 

One friend from culinary school is tatted everywhere except his face. Even his scalp has a tattoo. Plenty of other chef friends and acquaintances have tattoos of varying amounts.

• Love 1

I brought up the tattoo thing not because I didn't know that the restaurant industry has a lot of people with them, but just out of surprise that ATK is now allowing it after so many seasons.  But I guess it's a bit like how the U.S. military had to loosen restrictions on visible tattoos while in uniform because it was getting to the point where more potential recruits than not had them.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:07 PM, biakbiak said:

There is also a new male chef who joined the same season who had tats.

I have now seen him.  Episode with the roast beef tenderloin and lyonnaise potatoes (the new gal with the tats did the first recipe, he did the second).

Dude works out.

Edited by letusprocrastinate

Oh no, Create has *really* changed the schedule.  No more late combos of Lydia/Martha and ATK—some nights, ATK is not even on.  Some new shows, yoga, stretching, have been inserted, plus Joy of Painting.  This has always been my go-to comfort familiar channel.  Not anymore. 

ETA:  I went through the schedule for the next two weeks, and ATK is all over the place, at different times every day, as is Cooks Country. This is very odd programming; nothing regular, and the former ATK times replaced sometimes with non-cooking shows.  

Edited by freddi

Not all Create channels are the same. In my market, Maryland Public Television carries it as MPT2. During prime time in the evening, they never show Create content, but rather other PBS shows. If you go to Create's web site to look at the schedule, they ask what area you are in, and you can see the differences between markets.

Well, now I see Create did change their line up times. But in my market, we never see Create programs during prime time. Sometimes they even hijack the channel for fundraising for MPT - usually only twice a year.

• Love 1

I was already planning to write an email about MPT2’s Create channel. Too much British television, especially when we lost the superior WETA Create channel for WETA UK. But now they’ve messed up what little was good about it. Not cool.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Well, now I see Create did change their line up times. But in my market, we never see Create programs during prime time. Sometimes they even hijack the channel for fundraising for MPT - usually only twice a year.

It's way more than changing the lineup -- the shows are on at different times each day, so there is no regularity to viewing.  I have never heard of a network that abandoned scheduling like this -- totally random.  It's like pigeons are picking the lineup each day.  

47 minutes ago, Automne said:

I was already planning to write an email about MPT2’s Create channel. Too much British television, especially when we lost the superior WETA Create channel for WETA UK. But now they’ve messed up what little was good about it. Not cool.

• Love 2

I never watch Create because it isn't offered in HD by Comcast, but I have noticed that I do get 2 different channels called Create both showing the same exact programming.  I took a look at the program guide and see more home and travel shows than I used to, but ATK is still pretty well represented.

I don’t even know what channel Create is in, when I first got my new DVR I set it up to record all the cooking shows on it and just bank them for when I am bored and want to watch something again if they are repeats! 

• Love 1

I was on a Cooks Country kick this week to great success. Whole Foods has been having a Sunday special where the deli meats and cheeses (that are sliced to order) are 20% off, so I made the prosciutto bread. It was nice and much “lighter” than I thought a bread with 9 ozs of meat would be. 
I also made the double crusted chicken pot pie, I usually just make one with a lid and no bottom but it turned out fantastic and will definitely be going into the rotation!

• Love 2

I like the intro music much better than the olde twangy bluegrass.  It's a nice fresh update, and I associate the bluegrass with Chris Kimball, who I disliked before the scandal.

Long time casual viewer of both ATK and CC, so my question may sound a bit silly...what is the difference between ATC and CC?  

• Love 1

Cook's Country supposedly focuses more on what you would associate with country cooking, while ATK runs the gamut of food prep/cooking. I don't think I expressed that clearly. Someone help me out!

ETA: Cook's Country offers recipes from the Cook's Country magazine and cookbooks. ATK does recipes from Cook's Illustrated magazine plus ATK cookbooks.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

It comes across more in the magazine but their idea of the difference is Cooks Country is to explore the history of specific recipes some of which had been “lost” and revive them for modern tastes.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

It seems like Cooks Country also often focuses on very regional-specific dishes, whereas ATK keeps to a more general American fare.  At the end of the day since the format is nearly the same, I wonder what the business decision was behind the two brands.  More airtime?

• Love 1

Thank you for your responses!  

13 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

At the end of the day since the format is nearly the same, I wonder what the business decision was behind the two brands.  More airtime?

Seems to me like each episode could do 1 country (or "homestyle" which is what I think you are saying) recipe and 1 "American" recipe, one tasting segment and one equipment segment.  But yes, probably going for more air time.

33 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

same, I wonder what the business decision was behind the two brands.  More airtime?

The magazine launched several years before the show and I do think there is a much more distinct difference in Cooks Illustrated and the magazine Cook’s Country.  

• Love 3
On 1/27/2020 at 6:56 PM, dubbel zout said:

I agree—the difference is more in the magazines than the shows.

Why do I think the hosts and editors would react like everyone in “The Devil Wears Prada,” when Meryl Streep was trying to choose between two belts, and Anne Hathaway snorted, “They are the same belt!”—and everyone in the room froze.  

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, freddi said:

Why do I think the hosts and editors would react like everyone in “The Devil Wears Prada,” when Meryl Streep was trying to choose between two belts, and Anne Hathaway snorted, “They are the same belt!”—and everyone in the room froze.  

I respectfully disagree. I have many cookbooks from both Cook's Country and America's Test Kitchen. I know if I'm looking for a certain recipe, I'll find it in Cook's Country and not an ATK cookbook and vice versa.. They are definitely distinguishable from one another. It makes good marketing sense. They are not a non-profit company. 

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I respectfully disagree. I have many cookbooks from both Cook's Country and America's Test Kitchen. I know if I'm looking for a certain recipe, I'll find it in Cook's Country and not an ATK cookbook and vice versa.. They are definitely distinguishable from one another. It makes good marketing sense. They are not a non-profit company. 

No, you are completely agreeing with me.  The point was, to a trained eye, they are not close to being the same belt, just like the two CC/ATK brands are completely distinguishable to the experts like yourself.  That's why the room froze.  Everyone knew they were not the same thing.  😉  

3 minutes ago, freddi said:

No, you are completely agreeing with me.  The point was, to a trained eye, they are not close to being the same belt, just like the two CC/ATK brands are completely distinguishable to the experts like yourself.  That's why the room froze.  Everyone knew they were not the same thing.  😉  

But in this case it’s not just experts. The look, feel and content of the magazines are quite different. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

But in this case it’s not just experts. The look, feel and content of the magazines are quite different. 

Yes, I completely agree—I was reacting to comments about the similarities. I think they are very different, also, and I’m just swimming in the shallow end of cooking.  🙂 Sorry for trying for humor. 

The tube pan testing segment made me do two things: look up the difference between tube pan (which I'd never heard of) and bundt pan (which is what I'd have called it), and realize I have not had angel food cake in eons.  As far as I know, my mom used to make it in a bundt pan and just deal with the shenanigans in letting it set upside down and getting it out, rather than having one with feet and a removable bottom.  She's not going to want to do that anymore, and I certainly don't, but I don't bake enough to go out and buy one of the winning pans (it's only $18, but it takes up space).  So now I'm going to have to research which local bakeries make a really good angel food cake, so that next time I have people over for dinner, I can get one of those for dessert.

Does anyone like or has anyone tried the "Creamy French-style Scambled Eggs?  I just saw this episode and I don't know, they just looked raw and wrong to me...   I guess the 14 minute cook time makes them more creamy.  I love Becky, but I'm left scratching my head at this one!

Edited to add: My mother used an empty beer bottle to cool her Angel Food cakes.

Edited by BigBingerBro

When my sainted grandmother would bake an angel food cake, she'd turn the pan upside down on a glass Coke bottle to let the cake cool. Lord knows how long she'd had that one Coke bottle, but that was its only purpose, other than collecting dust in her pantry. (She made a damn fine angel food cake, perfect served with slightly macerated berries.)

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

She's not going to want to do that anymore, and I certainly don't, but I don't bake enough to go out and buy one of the winning pans (it's only $18, but it takes up space).  S

After this aired I was dropping off something at Goodwill and I always cruise by the kitchen section and they had the winning pan for $4 but I couldn’t justify the space it requires. That said I will probably convince myself to go back and get it if it’s their in a few days.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Does anyone like or has anyone tried the "Creamy French-style Scambled Eggs?  I just saw this episode and I don't know, they just looked raw and wrong to me...   I guess the 14 minute cook time makes them more creamy.  I love Becky, but I'm left scratching my head at this one!

I know. Becky made a point of saying the eggs were cooked to whatever the appropriate temperature is, so they were safe to eat, but my mind can't wrap itself around that runniness. 

I'm tempted to try this method, but the quantity is too much for just me. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm tempted to try this method, but the quantity is too much for just me. 

I cut down the amount and used a smaller pan. They came out quite nice, a variation on the consistency achieved through other methods, well cooked but still creamy, not runny. Certainly not how the French like to have their omelettes ("baveuse" style), which I must confess is far from my preferred choice.

This is rather involved though and not a method you want to tackle on a weekday when you are rushed to get ready for school or work.

4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

After this aired I was dropping off something at Goodwill and I always cruise by the kitchen section and they had the winning pan for $4 but I couldn’t justify the space it requires. That said I will probably convince myself to go back and get it if it’s their in a few days.

I've never had this much self-restraint in my life.  If I saw any sort of Chicago Metallic pan on sale for $4, I'd snap it up even if I already had one.  I'd tell myself I was buying it to give as a gift, but I'd know in my heart that I was going to keep it.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

I cut down the amount and used a smaller pan. They came out quite nice

I figured you could probably do that successfully, but I like to follow a recipe the first time I make it and then go rogue, heh.

How many eggs did you use? I usually scramble two when I'm making them the more conventional way.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:08 PM, biakbiak said:

After this aired I was dropping off something at Goodwill and I always cruise by the kitchen section and they had the winning pan

Thrift stores, in my experience, are great places to look for those “how much will I use this” pans and whatnots.  Those Wilton fancy shaped cake pans, wedding cake sized pans, bundt/angel food pans, little bread tins (actually, any sized bread tin), muffin tins, etc., are easy to find.  You may have to hit two or three stores, but in my town you can do that without traveling too far from one store to the other.  My cousin had us all scouring thrifts stores for cupcake tins for a wedding reception - I think she ended up with a dozen tins that cost less then $20 total. After the wedding she re-donated them.

• Love 2