Type keyword(s) to search

America's Test Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just saw the first episode of the new (Christopher Kimball-less) season. Seemed pretty much the same format, but with Bridget and Julia as the hosts. I was afraid that the two new hosts weren't going to actually cook anymore, but the first segment was Julia making steak for Bridget. 

One thing that was confusing -- the intro promised that Lisa would be giving us a "Gadget Guru's Hall of Shame" segment, but it wasn't in the show. Also, does Dan have some new kind of medical condition? the left side of his mouth was noticeable drooping when he spoke. 

After watching the new episode I'm of the mind that they should have done what This Old House has. After Bob Villa left they didn't just turn it over to Norm and Richard. They looked outside and found another host. ATK should find someone who knows their way around the kitchen and has an interest in food and its history but who isn't an expert/chef (nor even necessarily a 'foodie'). Someone who can be more of an audience stand-in when introducing and being shown the preparation of the dish. Not that Chris was all that audiency but the dynamic between him and the particular cooks didn't seem like just a couple of colleagues talking amongst themselves, if you know what I mean.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

After watching the new episode I'm of the mind that they should have done what This Old House has. After Bob Villa left they didn't just turn it over to Norm and Richard. They looked outside and found another host. ATK should find someone who knows their way around the kitchen and has an interest in food and its history but who isn't an expert/chef (nor even necessarily a 'foodie'). Someone who can be more of an audience stand-in when introducing and being shown the preparation of the dish. Not that Chris was all that audiency but the dynamic between him and the particular cooks didn't seem like just a couple of colleagues talking amongst themselves, if you know what I mean.

I agree - the dynamic was a little strange. First you had Julia demonstrating to Bridget how to cook steak on cast iron, then you had Dan demonstrating to Julia how to roast a chicken on cast iron. It needs someone that they can "teach" that we know does not already know how to do it. I think the best thing TOH did was hire Kevin as an "every man", although now he's way beyond that.

My bet with Dan is that he has Bell's Palsy, which can affect 1 side of your face. The drooping was very noticeable in his science segment, which was terrific, and a little less so in his cooking segment.

I'm cool with Julia and Bridget and thought it was a good decision to have them co-host together. I always watched for them anyway -- that and the product reviews. Chris always creeped me out a little, even moreso now given his personal life.

• Love 1
On 1/14/2017 at 1:21 PM, Terrafamilia said:

I agree, I thought the "just us cooks" dynamic was a little forced and awkward, although Dan seemed clearly more comfortable presenting to Julia than Chris.  There always seemed to be a little tension there, as if Chris was paranoid that Dan was being groomed as his "replacement".  I think Julia and Bridget need coaching on their hosting skills.  They're a little amateurish.  Perhaps they'll find their groove in time.

BTW, I also agree about it being Bells Palsy with Dan.  Poor thing. 

I like Julia's new haircut better than last season's.  Poor Bridget, menopause did a number on her metabolism (I've got that T-shirt in my closet too).

4 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I'm cool with Julia and Bridget and thought it was a good decision to have them co-host together. I always watched for them anyway -- that and the product reviews. Chris always creeped me out a little, even moreso now given his personal life.

What's going on in his personal life?  Don't tell me he's a closet vegan.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

What's going on in his personal life?  Don't tell me he's a closet vegan.

I can't find the dishiest articles anymore, too many about the current lawsuit, but basically he married his assistant (half his age) shortly after his second divorce was final. NYTimes article is too kind. Apparently he is also rolling in dough (the green kind), drives a Maserati (so much for the homespun folksy image), and doesn't pay his employees very well, either. Bah! Couple that with a palate that doesn't tolerate spicy and I'm out.

• Love 2

I hate to say it, because I have long thought Kimball was the worst part of this show, but I don't like Julia and Bridget as the hosts.  I agree with others here, it was the whole idea of presenting to a peer instead of an average Joe that made it weird.  And Bridget didn't really react in a sensical way, or perhaps maybe the camera should just not even cut to her FOR a reaction.  It was really weird.

On 2016-11-13 at 4:43 PM, Violet Penner said:

I thought I had read that Chris would continue to be the host of the ATK radio podcast, but the most recent episode has Bridget as host and so far no mention of Chris (I haven't finished yet). Guessing the lawsuit had an effect on that as well. Yikes. 

There have been a few episodes since November, but none for a few weeks now. Does anyone have news about it?

I get my ATK fix from the podcast since I don't have PBS anymore. I didn't love Chris, but I liked the format of the podcast. There would be a mix of call in questions, gadget reviews, Dan's recipe of the week, wine tasting, Adam Gopnik, and one interview. I like Bridget and Dan answering questions, but they did away with the gadget reviews, recipes, wine stuff, and Gopnik and replaced it with a series of chef interviews. Reading what others in All Eps say about how the peer presentation, I'm disappointed. I learned a lot more about wine, gadgets, and food from the old formats. Having the podcast be more interviews with chefs or producers makes it feel like any other food podcast and not ATK.

Saw my first new-format ATK episode over the weekend (the Cast-Iron episode). I didn't miss Chris (and those ridiculous intro costumes) at all, but I did find it a bit odd to have Bridget and Julia showing each other the recipes. It wasn't a dealbreaker or anything, and I'm sure they'll settle into their new-ish roles. (Do they *need* a 'teacher' and a 'student'? Can the teacher just talk to the camera without the sidekick? Surely, they've tested that.) I guess now that they don't have CK to pay anymore they can afford a new/better hair stylist, because everyone's looked great (although I think I prefer Bridget in a ponytail). Looking forward to seeing how the series shakes out now.

• Love 3

What really peeves me?  My Tivo(s) decided not to record ATK s17 ep1 for no apparent reason.  I checked the record history, no conflict and the second episode it set to record, something that happens a lot since the great Rovi data changeover.  The ATK website won't let me watch, "This video segment is not yet available. Each new episode is available to AmericasTestKitchen.com members as soon as it first airs on public television and is available two weeks later for free viewing by nonmembers." which it already has, but still won't let me watch AND I can't find it by any other *cough* means.  Grrrrrr.

On 1/16/2017 at 0:53 PM, Athena said:

There have been a few episodes since November, but none for a few weeks now. Does anyone have news about it?

They used to play the ATK podcast as a weekly radio show on my local NPR station, and its former place in the lineup has been filled with CKs Milk Street Radio.

• Love 1

Finally saw ep.1.  Meh.  Not terrible, but though not a particular fan, I do miss the part that Chris played.  That could be my resistance to change and/or them needing to work out the bugs?  We'll see.  I thought both Bridget and Julia came off as trying too hard, a bit too shrill and phony when acting as the 'host'.  I think they are best when instructing and the show should find another host.  I also noticed Dan's droopy lips, I hope it was nothing more than an unfortunately timed dental procedure.  Are they selling that silicone handle cover?  Because it sure seemed so to me.   The camera work was less distracting than past seasons with less (but not none) floating camera moves.   In the past, it's looked like they hired a director right out of college who had to use every move all the time.  I know that Chris was pushed out because he didn't grasp the web side of the business, BUT I see no discernable difference in the site nor any reason to subscribe (again). 

On 1/14/2017 at 1:21 PM, Terrafamilia said:

I would like to see the hosts be Kelsey Nixon (ATK) and Damarius (Cook's Country). Both are trained but have also hosted shows.

• Love 1

I missed episode 1 but watched 2 today and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The ladies are game and going for it, I've got no problem with them as hosts.  Jack was fine with Julia on the taste test, and I didn't miss the bowtie at all.  (Speaking of which, I heard some of his radio show today, and you call in at 1-800-4bowtie.  No.  Just no.  I guess 1-800-asshole must have been taken.) The first stew looked good if I can find the right cut of meat, and even as a committed carnivore I'd try the second one if somebody else would make it for me.

• Love 1

I saw my first episode without Chris, featuring stews. I didn't mind Bridget and Julia as hosts, but given that they're both experienced cooks, I wish they'd worked with each other as equals, rather than have one be the teacher. Bridget and Julia worked a bit better, I thought. It felt false when Julia was amazed the onions were put in a cold pot, or she says, "I've never seen a stew made like this before."

I thought the taste test worked well with Julia. I like that she's not such a snob as Chris could be.

Overall, I didn't miss Chris. 

8 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I thought that Alton Brown would have made a good Chris replacement, and not just because he also wears a bow tie.  Too bad Alton sold his soul to FN.

Oh I know! Lenny McNab! ;)

• Love 4

I guess I wasn't alone in saying that gadget guru Lisa needed a flat iron and a makeover (see my post above).  In this most recent episode she obviously had just that and looks GREAT.  It looks like the new boss sent all the women for a makeover, but I think her transformation was the most noticeable and best.  Why the stylist gave Becky such an aging hairstyle is beyond me, though.

The second new episode with the stew was better than the first one.  There still is too much 'forced' dialogue though.  Hopefully they will relax more and ease up on the cutesy banter.  I think Julia did fine in the pesto tasting segment. 

In general, all the ladies look better with new hair styles with one exception.  As noted above, somebody really messed up with Becky's hair do.  It does not just age her, it is overall a poor look.  I think it ages her because it is a style from many many years ago.  It would look bad on anyone.

10 hours ago, freeser said:

In general, all the ladies look better with new hair styles with one exception.  As noted above, somebody really messed up with Becky's hair do.  It does not just age her, it is overall a poor look.  I think it ages her because it is a style from many many years ago.  It would look bad on anyone.

Yeah, it was a poor look and it was outdated - I didn't want to say it because I hate confirming stereotypes of any kind but it looked like the hairdo of a much older woman who was stuck in a time warp.

• Love 1

OK the latest episode, where Bridget makes plain bone-in skin-on chicken breasts and some new cook named "Elle," (with blue hair, no less) makes ... wait for it ... BAKED POTATOES, was pretty lame. And Adam tested kitchen trash cans; the winner costs a whopping $180! Are they running out of ideas?

Edited by J-Man
  • Love 4

I liked Elle and sort-of am warming up to seeing the cast mixed up a bit with each other instead of each of them in separate scenes with Chris.  But I still think it suffers from Chris' absence, as flawed as he was.  I watched some of the first episodes on YouTube (I started watching around season 6 or so) and it hit home for me how sad it is that the original cast went back to the beginning with Chris and were such a tight unit only to be ripped of the glue that held them together.  It just feels to me like a Sony and Cher kind of divorce that the world and the show would never quite get over.  I think the show has lost its mojo without Chris. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

For me, the point of ATK is instruction - teaching me things. I don't need Chris for it to do that, so a show without him works fine for me.

I completely agree.  I dont miss CK.

I could do without the silly "witty banter" btwn the hosts for a segment.  For example, I liked Elle, and I actually enjoyed the baked potato information, but silly comments/exclamations from Bridget, I could do without.  It has a very forced/scripted feel about it.

I would almost prefer just one person cooking/talking/explaining.

Edited by Kelly
  • Love 5

I definitely want to see more segments with Elle--I think she's great! And I love when they give us new looks at basic recipes, since I can cook but don't do fancy. I am actually keeping this ep on my DVR until I can write down the recipes. 

• Love 3

I liked Elle, too, and it's nice to see a bit of diversity on the show.

I wonder why the potatoes weren't baked directly on the oven rack. Even after brushing them with oil, I think it would work. I don't want to get any more dishes dirty than I absolutely have to.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

... I wonder why the potatoes weren't baked directly on the oven rack. Even after brushing them with oil, I think it would work. I don't want to get any more dishes dirty than I absolutely have to.

But wouldn't the oven rack get dirty/oily?  I'd rather wash a cookie sheet or whatever was placed between the oiled spud & the oven rack than have to remove the oven rack & wash it (or forget to remove it & have the oil on it start smoking next time I turned the oven on).

• Love 4

I'm still missing a 'Chris' like element.  Both Julia and Bridget are forced and phony as hosts and at this point, I don't see that improving.  They are particularly annoying when together as it feels like they echo each others' phoney.   Though I've liked them both in the past, I now much prefer segments with other chef instructors like Elle, even though the baked potato "recipe' was more appropriate to a 'letter to editor' fill segment ("how come my baked potatoes aren't crispy outside?").  The $180 garbage can recommendation has to be one if not the most absurd equipment tests they've ever done.  Maybe now that Jack is the boss, he's making more $$$ and it's affecting his judgment?  The kind of person that could afford a $180 'can' probably has one built into the kitchen cabinetry.  At the end of the day, it's a show based on tested working recipes and that hasn't changed, but it's a little less enjoyable than it was with Chris there(for me).  It's still a long way off from the average saccharine celebrity based cooking shows with their questionable recipes common on FN and PBS and that I no longer pay any attention to.  As for what the instructors wear or their hair style or who they even are?  I don't care a whole lot as long as they are able to convey the information I want without distraction.  A significant number of dishes I make are based on those from this show.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I'd rather wipe off an oven rack, but everyone's tolerance for kitchen cleanup is different.

I completely agree.  You dont apply much oil to the potatoes - I doubt smoking would be a problem.  The baking sheet and rack seem unnecessary to me.  JMO though!

Edited by Kelly

Am I mistaken, or did we really, seriously, hear Elle say that you shouldn't microwave potatoes because microwaves cook "from the inside out"? How in the world did that get into the script? Something like that shoots down all credibility for ATK and all of its "experts". Someone please tell me I didn't actually hear that.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, o-gal said:

Am I mistaken, or did we really, seriously, hear Elle say that you shouldn't microwave potatoes because microwaves cook "from the inside out"? How in the world did that get into the script? Something like that shoots down all credibility for ATK and all of its "experts". Someone please tell me I didn't actually hear that.

You did hear it and they did contradict themselves from previous episodes.  Besides the debunked 1970's era "microwaves cook from the inside" info?  I've been using the microwave as a potato ''pre-cooker for decades and it's been advised that way on ATK many times.  A few minutes nuke and a 15min bake yields a perfectly cooked potato with crisp skin and fluffy insides.  Trying to completely "bake" a potato in the microwave yields either a grossly overcooked exterior with a done interior or a mediocre outside with a hard center.  More than enough proof that the microwave does not cook from the inside.  It's also a great way to start roasted potato's (and many other root vegetables) so they will cook at the same time as a protein or other veg without burning.

• Love 2
On 1/30/2017 at 0:54 PM, pastafarian said:

You did hear it and they did contradict themselves from previous episodes.  Besides the debunked 1970's era "microwaves cook from the inside" info?  I've been using the microwave as a potato ''pre-cooker for decades and it's been advised that way on ATK many times.  A few minutes nuke and a 15min bake yields a perfectly cooked potato with crisp skin and fluffy insides.  Trying to completely "bake" a potato in the microwave yields either a grossly overcooked exterior with a done interior or a mediocre outside with a hard center.  More than enough proof that the microwave does not cook from the inside.  It's also a great way to start roasted potato's (and many other root vegetables) so they will cook at the same time as a protein or other veg without burning.

Somehow I didn't catch her saying that but you're right, and I remember learning that it's a myth on this very show years ago.  So much for technical continuity.  I guess they are forgetting their past now and just going for ratings like any FN show.

On 1/16/2017 at 2:57 AM, Ms Lark said:

I can't find the dishiest articles anymore, too many about the current lawsuit, but basically he married his assistant (half his age) shortly after his second divorce was final. NYTimes article is too kind. Apparently he is also rolling in dough (the green kind), drives a Maserati (so much for the homespun folksy image), and doesn't pay his employees very well, either. Bah! Couple that with a palate that doesn't tolerate spicy and I'm out.

Maybe it's the 4-door sedan.  Those don't cost much more than a fancy SUV and they certainly don't scream Maserati.

Actually, I just came by to post my eternal gratitude for their tests, after doing some clean-up with the purple Method all-surface cleaner.  I have always hated the smell of spray cleaners (409, Fantastik, etc.), and I saw a test on cleaners and this one won, so I bought it.  It's been a couple of years now, and every time I use it I thank my lucky stars I saw that episode.  I don't want to wear it as perfume, but I also don't want to kill myself every time I use it.  Thank you, ATK.

• Love 2

I like the addition of Elle, but am I alone in thinking her two segments that I've seen to date (baked potatoes and snickerdoodles) seem to be aimed at people who are less skilled in the kitchen or perhaps children who enjoy cooking? They seemed very home-ec to me. Nothing wrong with that and that would be a great spin-off of ATK, but I'm not sure I would watch it.

• Love 2

Yeah, I watched the snickerdoodle episode last night and was a little horrified at the amount of time they spent showing the three different pans of cookies at various stages of cooking/cooling? "Okay, so these cookies have cooled, these are still cooling on a rack for even cooling, and this sheet is just out of the oven and now we're going to put the cookies on a cooling rack!" Even showing the difference between the puffed cookie and the flattened cool one took too much time and was just...really low-level stuff for them.

In general, I was turned off by the episode. I wasn't a huge fan of Chris as a person, but there was something about him that made his role on those segments feel genuine, and I just do not buy it from Julia or Bridget. I know they know exactly how to make everything they are being educated on, and they aren't good enough actors to play dumb. (Not that I ever thought Chris was completely dumb or something, but I did buy him as aloof enough to be unaware of all the team's recipes/methods/etc.) And I'm not interested in watching anyone play dumb. I will continue to subscribe to the site because I trust the recipes, but I think I'm done with the show.

• Love 6
On 2/7/2017 at 3:32 PM, Carrie Ann said:

In general, I was turned off by the episode. I wasn't a huge fan of Chris as a person, but there was something about him that made his role on those segments feel genuine, and I just do not buy it from Julia or Bridget. I know they know exactly how to make everything they are being educated on, and they aren't good enough actors to play dumb. (Not that I ever thought Chris was completely dumb or something, but I did buy him as aloof enough to be unaware of all the team's recipes/methods/etc.) And I'm not interested in watching anyone play dumb. I will continue to subscribe to the site because I trust the recipes, but I think I'm done with the show.

I hear you, it also doesn't help that I saw Chris twice recently on "The Rachael Ray Show" and that he seems so relaxed and regular now that he's not on ATK.  I really liked the way he interacted with Rachael (and even Regis Philbin on one episode).  He definitely seems more humble and less snarky.  Maybe his discontent with the situation at ATK was starting to spill over into his on-screen attitude, making him seem more abrasive than he really is.  I'm going with that for now as it was really good to see him again.  His new show supposedly starts this coming Fall.  Should be interesting.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

The work that comes to mind for Chris is "p'chech" which is my mother's made-up word for someone that's nitpicky and a pain in the ass.  Think "Picky" merged with "Kvetch".   I don't really miss him.  I'm okay with Bridget and Julia as hosts.   And more diverse/ethnic kitchen personnel PLEASE.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, EAG46 said:

The work that comes to mind for Chris is "p'chech" which is my mother's made-up word for someone that's nitpicky and a pain in the ass.  Think "Picky" merged with "Kvetch".   I don't really miss him.  I'm okay with Bridget and Julia as hosts.   And more diverse/ethnic kitchen personnel PLEASE.

I don't think your mother invented that word--or if she did, then your mother and my grandmother are the same person!  JK, it's a real word.  If I could figure out how to spell it (the problem with all Yiddish words), I could probably find better info on it.  But I did find this:  the puzzling *pachech* is obviously a phonetic distortion of the Yid. *parech* which in turn comes from the Polish *parch* 'a scab.' metaphorically used for an obnoxious, repulsive person.  Another site referred to it as a whiner, so I'm guessing it's someone who likes to pick at scabs.

That said, I've never disliked Chris, and I think he added something to the show that I miss now that it's gone.  It also makes me feel bad that these people who never would've had anything like the careers they have now if it hadn't been for the promotion and exposure they got from Chris Kimball have kicked him out of the organization he built, warts and all.  It's hard for me to look at any of them very fondly anymore.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I don't think your mother invented that word--or if she did, then your mother and my grandmother are the same person!  JK, it's a real word.  If I could figure out how to spell it (the problem with all Yiddish words), I could probably find better info on it.  But I did find this:  the puzzling *pachech* is obviously a phonetic distortion of the Yid. *parech* which in turn comes from the Polish *parch* 'a scab.' metaphorically used for an obnoxious, repulsive person.  Another site referred to it as a whiner, so I'm guessing it's someone who likes to pick at scabs.

That said, I've never disliked Chris, and I think he added something to the show that I miss now that it's gone.  It also makes me feel bad that these people who never would've had anything like the careers they have now if it hadn't been for the promotion and exposure they got from Chris Kimball have kicked him out of the organization he built, warts and all.  It's hard for me to look at any of them very fondly anymore.

I can't look at Chris the same since he apparently (allegedly) stole info from ATK to start his new business. Yes, he built ATK, but I found him to be condescending. His 'Letters From Vermont" that came to my emails were insufferable grandiose self promotion. I don't miss him at all.

• Love 2

I didn't subscribe, so I was spared any condescending emails.  I just know what I saw on the show, and that's what I based my opinion of him on.  If he stole (allegedly) info from the business he built, then I guess that's for the courts to sort out.

My mother used to say, "Would you jump into my grave so fast?" whenever my sibs and I wanted to take over something that was hers.  She meant it to be funny.  But in this instance it looks as if we don't have to ask that question.  Yes, they would.  And they did.  Mileage varies, I suppose.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

ITA.  It's especially hard for me to look at Jack as I think he's been instrumental in the lawsuit against Chris.  Having looked at very early episodes on YouTube, I realized that these people were all like family after all these years.  For them to not be able to work things out without a lawsuit is to me just not right.  They clearly went beyond business relationships with each other, which is why I suspect that the root cause of the fallout is the new VP, who offended Chris by taking away some of what was left of his power and responsibility.   That I can understand having worked in an office that was together for at least a decade, then having a new boss come in and start wrecking up the balance of things, pitting people against each other and forcing people to take sides, etc.  Those situations are in my experience usually awful and everyone ends up looking bad. 

Chris may be full of himself and quirky in a lot of ways but I think the show suffers without him, and a lot of that is surface stuff as I'm pretty sure he's not the villain the other side wants to make him look like.  Even the food feels dumbed down and uninteresting this season so far.  Plus I still can't get over how Bridget and Julia have been on TV for 16 years and aren't ready to host the show without sounding forced and amateurish.  They were each perfect for their former roles but take them one step further and it's just not pleasant to watch, IMO.  Whoever thought they would be the solution after Chris left clearly did not have a full grasp on the way the public viewed the show (which might be a clue as to who is really to blame for the mess in the first place).  I think they would have done better to find a suitable replacement for Chris.  I had suggested someone like Alton Brown way back, or at least someone similar would have been better than this, IMO.

• Love 10

What I liked very much about Chris' persona on the show (and likely off the show too) was his persnickety intellect.  This is what I love about Alton Brown too.

IMO, Bridget and Julia as hosts have brought a feeling of hokey-ness to the show.  It is not relaxed and their banter is unnatural.  Plus I'm going to say it:  Bridget does not look good and she does not seem comfortable in this role.  I enjoyed them both SO much over the years and am sorry this hasn't turned out better.  

• Love 8

Ha anyone seen the Sticky Bun episode yet? When Bridget and Julia were eating them at the end and then kind of got the giggles, it seemed the most real I've ever seen them. I like them both, but do feel a certain level of phoniness from them. (Maybe the phony comes from pretending to teach someone who already knows). But the end segment was so out of character and real, it made me seek out this board and post. Curious as to other thoughts. 

• Love 2

I made the cheese lasagna they recently showed on-air, though with added spinach. It was pretty tasty but I'm not sure the noodles turned out precisely as they were supposed to. That was no big deal however, I'm not one to fixate on perfectly al dente pasta as long as it's not undercooked.