Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Mr. And Mrs. Teacup

5 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

I think I missed what Oleg's father said.

Oleg asked his father how his mother, wife, and son are doing. Igor told him his mother is doing well, she visits his wife and son almost every day, and they had them over for dinner just the other night. Oleg's son is a strapping little lad who eats everything in sight. Oleg then gives his father a coded message - all the talk about train arrivals and departures - which Igor writes down.

When Igor meets Arkady to give him the coded message, Arkady asks how the family is doing, Igor tells him they're doing abominably and are dying of worry (he uses much stronger words in Russian than the English subtitles imply). He asks when Oleg would be coming back, Arkady says not yet. Igor tells Arkady that he finds it hard to trust him. Arkady says it's not about trust, it's about the fact that Oleg wants to do something meaningful, and that's because Igor raised him that way. Arkady is obviously trying to butter up Igor, but Igor's having none of it.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, chocolatine said:

Oleg asked his father how his mother, wife, and son are doing. Igor told him his mother is doing well, she visits his wife and son almost every day, and they had them over for dinner just the other night. Oleg's son is a strapping little lad who eats everything in sight. Oleg then gives his father a coded message - all the talk about train arrivals and departures - which Igor writes down.

When Igor meets Arkady to give him the coded message, Arkady asks how the family is doing, Igor tells him they're doing abominably and are dying of worry (he uses much stronger words in Russian than the English subtitles imply). He asks when Oleg would be coming back, Arkady says not yet. Igor tells Arkady that he finds it hard to trust him. Arkady says it's not about trust, it's about the fact that Oleg wants to do something meaningful, and that's because Igor raised him that way. Arkady is obviously trying to butter up Igor, but Igor's having none of it.

Oh. Right that. I'm not surprised Igor told Oleg that the family was doing well even though I'm sure the truth is exactly what he said to Arkady. Why cause Oleg more stress; there's nothing he can do from the US. His wife was very upset with him for leaving. I'd be surprised if she was anything other than sick with worry. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Erin9 said:

Oh. Right that. I'm not surprised Igor told Oleg that the family was doing well even though I'm sure the truth is exactly what he said to Arkady. Why cause Oleg more stress; there's nothing he can do from the US. His wife was very upset with him for leaving. I'd be surprised if she was anything other than sick with worry. 

Yeah, I wouldn't really consider that a lie. Oleg knows his family is sick with worry, of course. No reason to stress him out. But of course to Arkady he's basically going to demand to know what he's doing to his son.

• Love 4

I was never a bit uncomfortable with the Kimmie plot and I find it interesting still. Knew Phillip was still working her, even though otherwise he’s “out”, because her father is now in a critical position. It was pretty clear her story would not just be dropped. 

I like the way the Jim character gives us insight into Phillip, and the way he uses things happening in his life to create the Jim persona. His banter with Kimmie, and their friendship, works for me.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Erin9 said:

Oh, yes, of course he will tell Oleg that the family is fine -- he wants to keep Oleg calm.  I totally believed what he told Arkady about them being sick with worry.  And we knew the wife understood that Oleg was on a mission, which she tried to talk him out of.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I like the way the Jim character gives us insight into Phillip, and the way he uses things happening in his life to create the Jim persona. His banter with Kimmie, and their friendship, works for me.

In the past there were times where Philip could only talk to Elizabeth about things because only she really understood. (Like the milk story being the most obvious.) Here she never seemed to see the guy standing in front of her. Kimmy seemed to have a clearer view of him even when he was Jim. I wonder what got lost somewhere, Elizabeth? Obviously it was Philip who lost it!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JFParnell said:

I couldn't tell what was going on in the opening! Shadows. Some people running around??

All I know is .... oh no, Kimmie's baaaack.

I couldn’t see much either. Yes, I understand that the warehouse had to be dark but when your audience can’t see what’s going on then you’ve pushed the realism angle a bit too far.

Not overjoyed that Kimmie is back either. I assume that it serves some purpose to the end game. At least, I hope that that it does.

30 minutes ago, Bannon said:

Why, yes, if I watched a show where the male American character dropped a car on an Arab man's head, so the American could get the right person to take the job of the man with the crushed head, I'd see that as pretty morally repugnant. If Liz restricted her murders to American military personnel, I'd view her differently.

Exactly. Or if the male character killed an elderly woman doing bookkeeping work who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...etc, etc.

Frankly, lots of characters have done repugnant things on this show. Liz is doing more than her share right now. I don’t particularly care to have my viewing experience invalidated my a TV critic. He is watching the same show that I am watching but different opinions are allowed.

11 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

There's Paige explaining "the world" to Philip about how sometimes Generals just shoot themselves in the face during meetings with Soviet agents in parks and need two shots to do it and Mom totally tried to stop him! As if she was even there. Philip's trying to lead her to the obvious conclusion by asking her to THINK about why the guy would do that...but Paige still doesn't get it. Or she does get it--her job isn't to think, it's to swallow whatever the Ministry of Truth tells her. The worst was that big smile when Elizabeth said she was proud of her. 

Paige...with each passing week the mini-spy storyline gets more irritating. Liz is working her just like she works her marks. The “I’m so proud of you” nonsense ensures that Paige will buy whatever her mom is selling. This storyline is almost comical. Paige does everything that she is told not to do. Does she understand the ramifications of what she is doing?

• Love 7

I have not seen any comment on Paige, post-sex.  It looks like she totally went against what Elizabeth told her, which was to *not* mix info-gathering and dating.   But what was really chilling was that Paige was one cool customer after sex, only focused on what was on the bulletin board and the government ID badge, while the guy snoozed away.  No afterglow for Paige, just business -- she is indeed her mother's daughter.  

Edited by jjj
  • Love 12
14 minutes ago, jjj said:

But hey, Stan's other case does eventually pay off!  He mentioned Conrad Monts and John Clyburn in the brief office convo, both of whom were investigated and indicted, including the "air rights project, a $200 million complex above I-395" -- here an article from 1988:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1988/01/16/dc-developer-probed-in-alleged-bribery-bid/65efdd43-672b-43e8-bfa9-d1a0efd635e4/?utm_term=.93f60c29d670

Thanks for the link! I love how they throw in small crumbs of real DC history.

From the article:

”The group wants to lease or buy from the D.C. government the air rights over I-395, then build offices, a hotel and stores on a deck over the freeway, according to city officials.”

And now, 30 years later, a deck over I-395 has just been built, and the offices, hotels, and stores are going up.  

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, jjj said:

I have not seen any comment on Paige, post-sex.  It looks like she totally went against what Elizabeth told her, which was to *not* mix info-gathering and dating.   But what was really chilling was that Paige was one cool customer after sex, only focused on what was on the bulletin board and the government ID badge, while the guy snoozed away.  No afterglow for Paige, just business -- she is indeed her mother's daughter.  

Yeah, that 3 year time jump again...

I wonder when Paige lost her virginity, was she in love?  Was it just a crush?  Was she practicing spying?  Because honestly, I doubt this was her first time with her "afterglow" reaction.

sigh

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Paige just comes off as ridiculously naive, just buying everything her mom is telling her, even if Liz has obvious reasons to lie or exaggerate to get Paige to go along with her. Just like her mom buys almost everything her higher ups tell her. Like mother like daughter I guess. 

I am assuming that the scene of her walking down the hotel corridor taking photos with the purse camera was to indicate that she is a competent mini-spy? Ugh. This is the young woman that three years into spy training is finally asking questions about whether sex is involved. 

Regarding the bolded statement, Oleg made an interesting comment to Philip about Liz: “her loyalty can be used.” 

Oleg...please don’t die!

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, jjj said:

Yeah, well not much to say about a character I can’t stand and who hasn’t a clue, but thinks she’s so smart and clever. Paige had more critical thinking skills back in high school when she wasn’t buying Elizabeth’s and Phillip’s lies.  Now she doesn’t have a mind of her own, she’s just Elizabeth’s tool for the cause.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, jjj said:

Yeah. She was. We'll see though. I just don't think Paige is really an Elizabeth clone when it's all said and done though. I'm sure not listening will backfire somehow, some way. I hope so. I really want both Paige and Elizabeth to be proved wrong about this spy thing. I think they're heading that way. I just can't see Paige doing it. If for no other reason- she's lousy at following orders AND her long term motivation does not exist. And this is another example of it coming across that she doesn't understand the seriousness of what she's doing. Paige still thinks she knows better than everybody else. She always has, but she really doesn't. She's a Novice Spy. Both Elizabeth and Philip know a lot more than her, and it would behoove her to for once listen.

Though, honestly, I'm still stuck on how ignorant and stupid Paige sounded when she refused to THINK about what Philip said to her about the General. She's a kid. She really is. She didn't live the hard life Elizabeth and Philip did,  and I have no doubt, is no where near as wise to the ways of the world or as mature as they were at her age. I just don't think she gets it at all. Not really.

Edited by Erin9
  • Love 10

And I have to say, now that they have overtly stated to Paige that she is getting ready to work in the State Department, *WHY* are they sending her on these ridiculous mini-missions?  They should be telling her to spend all her time hitting the books, talking to professors, getting internships, and making connections that will help her meteoric rise in diplomacy.  

Edited by jjj
  • Love 22

Of course Phil's running out of money! It wasn't cheap in 1987 to charter a 737 in 1987, to fly Kimmy's sorority, and the appropriate number of fraternity brothers, in from Ann Arbor, so they could have a mixer at Kimmy's dad's house, and Phil could swap tapes! Also, do you have any idea how much more chronic is needed to satisfy a crowd of stoner Wolverines, compared to a bunch  of Chevy Chase high schoolers!

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 11

Paige has become a complete idiot. I can't tolerate this storyline, honestly. It's SO stupid. Why can't Philip just ruin her illusions and tell her the truth? Shut it down for good.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Also, what in the hell - he's still been managing to secretly tape her father - and collect those tapes, with her away at Ann Arbor?

Yet another flaw in the writing.  

And when do you suppose our favorite little genius, Paige Jennings,  will read about the dead security guards at that factory?  Was it mass suicide on the same night that mom when in?

This season has already tied the record low viewership.  They're gonna break that record soon.  

Edited by skippylou
  • Love 8

Do we know who is paying Paige's tuition, room and board at her off-campus single pad?  I marvel at how little competition there is between these siblings.  Henry was to have a scholarship of whatever amount,  to cover  whatever.  It's absurd that Philip is suddenly "caught short" ... take out a second mortgage or hit up the Centre -- I really do not care.  Any American family would have trouble paying for two kids of that age and Henry's private school placement will make him much more likely (assuming his grades are good) to get even more important scholarships to the better colleges (even his #1 choice college of his dreams).... and the amount needed is still JUST room and board.  Many American families would have grandparents to help out with such costs .... the Centre needs to pick up the shortfall. ... or Paige can just move back home and commute to GW .... or get a job ... again, don't care ... this feels like more bad writing, beneath the intelligence of the characters.  (Hate that Elizabeth doesn't care about Henry) 

eta: On one hand I'd sorta "love" for Henry to find his own solution, but actually that might well be that back-breaking credibility straw, particularly leaving Paige's as #1 child apprentice. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 8

Watched this episode with my daughter, who interned for a representative last summer.  She laughed at Paige's honeypot attempt; apparently interns aren't exactly privy to sensitive information.  "What is he going to tell her," said daughter. "Where the Chief of Staff keeps her secret stash of gel pens? 

Oh, and does anyone else think that Paige and Kimmy are going to meet soon?

I find it hard to believe that St. Edward's would let their hockey star go because his family can't pay the tuition.  Places like that always have huge endowments and I'm sure arrangements could be made.

Edited by Pink-n-Green
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, jjj said:

Kids who went to college in Ann Arbor from Virginia in the 1980s were not running home a whole lot.  How the heck long were those little tapes?  And how have they escaped detection for the past five years?  Sheesh, hard to believe the Soviet Union dissolved if we were so lax.  You'd think by now the Russians would be running the country -- oh.  

And I mean, it's lucky that Dad Of Kimmy never switched bags or anything in three years time. Nope. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, skippylou said:

And when do you suppose our favorite little genius, Paige Jennings,  will read about the dead security guards at that factory?  Was it mass suicide on the same night that mom when in?

Well you'd have to ask *them*.  (will say Elizabeth)

Edited by jjj
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, skippylou said:

Yet another flaw in the writing.  

This season has already tied the record low viewership.  They're gonna break that record soon.  

It's all so damned lazy. I keep trying to parodize what keeps trying to be beyond parody. At this point I wouldn't put it past these writers to give Liz a Scarface sendoff, bandoliers slung across her torso, RPG launcher in hand, screaming "SAY Здравствуйте TO MY LEETLE FRIEND!!!!!

Good grief.

• Love 4

Did anyone catch what club the DJ was talking about in Stan's car? I couldn't make it out but they talked about it closing and being a symbol of the DC nightclub scene. I googled to find out what clubs closed in 1987 and ended up taking a walk down the memory lanes of Wisconsin and M Streets in the 1980s,  but still couldn't figure out what club they were talking about! The Bayou and Tracks closed in 1999; but there were SO MANY awesome places! 

And going back down this memory road, I just realized what has been missing in this entire series that would have sealed the deal on the accuracy of DC locations (and I can't remember if we've talked about it in other threads), but this . . . literally EVERYWHERE in DC in the '80s and '90s! 

discodan.jpg

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, SusanSunflower said:

Do we know who is paying Paige's tuition, room and board at her off-campus single pad?  I marvel at how little competition there is between these siblings.  Henry was to have a scholarship of whatever amount,  to cover  whatever.  It's absurd that Philip is suddenly "caught short" ... take out a second mortgage or hit up the Centre -- I really do not care.  Any American family would have trouble paying for two kids of that age and Henry's private school placement will make him much more likely (assuming his grades are good) to get even more important scholarships to the better colleges (even his #1 choice college of his dreams).... and the amount needed is still JUST room and board.  Many American families would have grandparents to help out with such costs .... the Centre needs to pick up the shortfall. ... or Paige can just move back home and commute to GW .... or get a job ... again, don't care ... this feels like more bad writing, beneath the intelligence of the characters.  (Hate that Elizabeth doesn't care about Henry) 

There is zero chance, nada, zip, none, that a good student and star hockey player at an elite East Coast prep school would be forced to leave, halfway through his junior year, or at the end of his junior year, because the parents could not cover the tuition any longer. It's just more lazy writing.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Bannon said:

It's all so damned lazy. I keep trying to parodize what keeps trying to be beyond parody. At this point I wouldn't put it past these writers to give Liz a Scarface sendoff, bandoliers slung across her torso, RPG launcher in hand, screaming "SAY Здравствуйте TO MY LEETLE FRIEND!!!!!

Good grief.

One of the future episodes, second last, is titled "Jennings, Elizabeth".  Sounds like the beginning of a Death Notice in the Falls Church newspaper.

• Love 3

Well, unless the school is in financial trouble itself, or Henry hasn't kept his grades up in anything but the stuff he loves, which is consistent with what we know of Henry. 

That made me google, and an article popped up from 1986 explaining the rate increases.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/08/24/nyregion/private-schools-in-city-to-increase-tuition-10.html

$8,630.00 in 1987 had the same buying power as $19,253.41 in 2018

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

Did anyone catch what club the DJ was talking about in Stan's car? I couldn't make it out but they talked about it closing and being a symbol of the DC nightclub scene. I googled to find out what clubs closed in 1987 and ended up taking a walk down the memory lanes of Wisconsin and M Streets in the 1980s,  but still couldn't figure out what club they were talking about! The Bayou and Tracks closed in 1999; but there were SO MANY awesome places! 

And going back down this memory road, I just realized what has been missing in this entire series that would have sealed the deal on the accuracy of DC locations (and I can't remember if we've talked about it in other threads), but this . . . literally EVERYWHERE in DC in the '80s and '90s! 

discodan.jpg

Tracks was in SE, by the Navy Yard. So many memories (of getting stranded there after the Metro closed for the night). 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Well, unless the school is in financial trouble itself, or Henry hasn't kept his grades up in anything but the stuff he loves, which is consistent with what we know of Henry. 

If something has changed about a recurring character, the writers of a serialized drama should SHOW us that something has changed. Like Phil, in one of the phone conversations, saying "Henry, get you grades up, or I'm driving up to school to kick your ass!". Of course, the writers would have to cut out the 3 pm cocktail hour....

• Love 6
Just now, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Tracks was in SE, by the Navy Yard. So many memories (of getting stranded there after the Metro closed for the night). 

I knew that -- I was referencing it more as a legendary night club in the DC area than one of the Georgetown spots. 

But that still doesn't help us figure out what club they were referencing on the radio when Stan was driving! I guess I'll do a rewatch with closed captioning on and report back! 

• Love 2

Looks like the rates would be about $19,000 a year in today's money.

Also, it's quite possible Henry only had a scholarship for that first year.  All scholarships are different, especially legacy types. 

I agree, the show should clarify all of that, but I don't find it at all unbelievable, there are just so many ways it could be true.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, SailorGirl said:

I knew that -- I was referencing it more as a legendary night club in the DC area than one of the Georgetown spots. 

But that still doesn't help us figure out what club they were referencing on the radio when Stan was driving! I guess I'll do a rewatch with closed captioning on and report back! 

Ah, gotcha. Yes, please do share what the CC says! 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Looks like the rates would be about $19,000 a year in today's money.

Also, it's quite possible Henry only had a scholarship for that first year.  All scholarships are different, especially legacy types. 

I agree, the show should clarify all of that, but I don't find it at all unbelievable, there are just so many ways it could be true.

Star athletes don't leave schools like that just before their senior year, absent academic or disciplinary disaster, for financial reasons. It simply does not happen.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 7

Frankly, I'm more interested in when no-friends and no-social-life Paige, college student and full time spy in training got around to fucking someone, and also, who the hell was it?  Was it frequent enough that she's suddenly now totally capable of pulling a Liz with a mark?

• Love 7

Frankly, I'm more interested in when no-friends and no-social-life Paige, college student and full time spy in training got around to fucking someone, and also, who the hell was it?  Was it frequent enough that she's suddenly now totally capable of pulling a Liz with a mark?

Yeah, the time jump has been a debacle as well. Ugh.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Bannon said:

Star athletes don't leave schools like that just before their senior year, absent academic disaster, for financial reasons. It simply does not happen.

I'd believe that more if he was playing football.  Also, getting a save or a goal in a couple of games we've heard about, and having horny girls cheering for him doesn't really make him a "STAR athlete" unless I missed something.  As I said, it could also depend on the financial straights of the school, and the conditions and duration of that first scholarship.  As that article I linked above says 1987 was a big jump in rates, for reasons.

• Love 3

If Henry is not "keeping his end of the bargain" then it needs to be part of the story and thus far it has not been ....  if Phillip was negligent about keeping a check on Henry's academics or if Henry was concealing "bad grades"  that would also be easily "expositioned"in a phone call. 

The point is that Henry's placement in that private school could easily save the Jennings a lot of money in the near future ...  It's "nice" that Paige has her singles pad, but not a necessity and it's also something that if she really wanted it, she might be able to afford with a part time job while high school students at private school do not often (as far as I remember) have work/study placement opportunities (that were common in college back in my day, particularly for scholarship kids who enjoyed on-campus jobs with flexible schedules) 

• Love 4

I'd believe that more if he was playing football.  Also, getting a save or a goal in a couple of games we've heard about, and having horny girls cheering for him doesn't really make him a "STAR athlete" unless I missed something.  As I said, it could also depend on the financial straights of the school, and the conditions and duration of that first scholarship.  As that article I linked above says 1987 was a big jump in rates, for reasons.

Look, they've been highly suggestive that he is a star hockey player, and hockey is huge at schools like that, because hockey is big at Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, Notre Dame, and other elite colleges. If they don't want viewers thinking that way about Henry, then they should not have written those scenes.

• Love 19
11 minutes ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Ah, gotcha. Yes, please do share what the CC says! 

I can't turn my CC on! Something to do with Apple TV and possibly the Vizio Sound Bar. Sometimes technology isn't all its cracked up to be! DAMNIT! 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Bannon said:

Look, they've been highly suggestive that he is a star hockey player, and hockey is huge at schools like that, because hockey is big at Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, Notre Dame, and other elite colleges. If they don't want viewers thinking that way about Henry, then they should not have written those scenes.

Absolutely, hockey is huge at all these schools.  I mean, look at "Love Story"!!!  

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5

and such schools love "scholarship kids" who thrive and are happy ... plenty of scholarship kids have adjustment issues, family issues or just plain do not thrive without their prior support system ... (particularly adolescents) ... a "lovin' it" kid like Henry is the just the sort of feel-good story that warms the hearts of the alumna.

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

I’m thinking it was one of the go-go clubs.

6 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

I can't turn my CC on! Something to do with Apple TV and possibly the Vizio Sound Bar. Sometimes technology isn't all its cracked up to be! DAMNIT! 

My closed captioning didn’t work for part of the episode, not sure when it kicked in but not during that scene where we hear the radio. I think they purposely cut to avoid naming a club. Go-go clubs got shut down often. 

1 minute ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Ugh. Camelot would fit that bill.

Yeah, but would they have talked about that on mainstream radio? Gay clubs, strip clubs, and anything that wasn't part of the mainstream wasn't really talked about. 

If someone would kindly turn on CC and catch the name for me, I'd be eternally grateful. This is going to drive my lil' late '80s Georgetown-going brain crazy!

• Love 1