Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E08: Fear Keeps You Sharp

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Oh, it's happened before and it was priceless.

Thanks for the memory ?Shame Jeff threw that fake idol in the fire. Wish that showed up on GI. Btw, your Survivor knowledge amazes me, I bow down to thee!

• Love 6

I can't wait until next week, when Chris walks in as juror #1 and gives us his best mad face as he glares at everyone for betraying him.  I'm sure everyone will be shaking in their boots!

Oh, it's happened before and it was priceless.

Seriously one of the best moments ever!  I think when Gervase was voting out Hayden during BvsW they could hear him, too.  But Crystal's vote for Randy goes down in Survivor history.  Not my favorite season, but Gabon had a decent cast.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5

Random thoughts on episode 8 "Noble Lessens in Attempting an 11 Player Alliance"

• The only certainties in life are death, taxes, and a fugly individual immunity idol introduced with regal fanfare
  • Let's take a look at the pretentious horror that was the "Miss Kellyn came home with the trophy" confessional on the instant replay:
    • Smirk ... check
    • Self-satisfied tone ... check
    • Refers to self in the third person ... check, bonus check for adding the title Miss.  Ack.
  • Despite an alliance that went up to 11 (one louder than 10), Chris went down quietly thanks to a cursed idol.  The cursed idol is going to be sent back to G.I. with one of those viral idol-shaming signs under it now.
  • Love 19
17 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I forgot Jenna again and when I saw her, I thought her name was Leah.

As proof of how low key she is, as I read your post I thought "Morasca?!?" for a good few seconds. 

• Love 8

In 10 years Dom's fake idol-on-a-string will be on Ghost Island 2.0: 

"Ten years ago this idol had no power.

After sitting in the Survivor vault year after year,

It's now time for it to reappear.

Beware! It now yields a power that all should fear."

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Who's Sebastian?

Sebastian looks like this.  He doesn't talk much, and he's weird.  We've decided to be somewhat charmed by it.

ca40ed9f195781ab_svr_snoel_800x1000.jpg

Also, apropos of nothing, Chris randomly brought up Dwyane Wade, and then he said "Yeah, I'm like Dwyane Wade. Started from the bottom, now I'm here."  I don't know much about basketball, but that's a Drake song, not a basketball reference, so I don't get if his reference made any sense whatsoever.  At that point I was ready for him to go.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9

I was pretty much over both Chris and Dom by the time they went to TC, because I really hate when anyone hijacks the game by making it so personal and everyone else gets dragged into it.  But that tribal was effing hilarious, and I'm willing to put up with Dom for now, to see if he's more tolerable without the silly playground feud.  He and Chris reminded me of the South Park guys when they get into fights. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

I'm still trying to figure out who Michael reminds me of.

Michael reminds me of Chris Pratt.  A bit in appearance, but more so in mannerisms and facial expressions. (I've been calling him StarLad.)

Edited by LordBowen
  • Love 10

At first, I thought Libby was going to go, because Des, Angela, Chelsea, and Kellyn were discussing it. I thought for sure that Chris was going to play his idol, and Libby was going, but he didn't. Why wouldn't you play it? Dom just played his Legacy Advantage, and you know votes are coming your way. Just... wow.

I didn't know they still got tree mail. I thought that was phased out. When I saw that, I was like "that's still a thing?"

Overall, good episode, but the only bad thing about the episode was Kellyn and her winning immunity. Must we hear from her every episode? Ugh.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

And so much for reversing the curse. Left with the idol on his pocket just like the dumbass JT.

No, Chris did better than JT.  Chris at least had the idol on him when he was voted out.  JT left it at camp when he did.  Which explains why it had lost power (and why the fake idols became real...power transfer.)

2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Oh, and seeing Michaela tonight in the flashback to GC, it makes me remember how much I'd love to get her and Courtney Yates on a season together.  TC and TH would never be dull.

Add in Sandra and you'd have the ultimate Snarky Bitches Alliance.  And TV gold!

Chris, you were not eliminated because of a cursed idol.  You were eliminated because you were you.   The season gimmick wouldn't have mattered.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sebastian looks like this.  He doesn't talk much, and he's weird.  We've decided to be somewhat charmed by it.

ca40ed9f195781ab_svr_snoel_800x1000.jpg.

Thanks for this!  I remember him now, but there are still way too many whose faces, never mind names, I can't recall.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

LMAO!!!!!! This was even better than the Bradley blindside. Not so suavee [sic] there, huh Chris? And so much for reversing the curse. Left with the idol on his pocket just like the dumbass JT. Man those players must have really played Chris well for him to have been that confident as to not even play the idol, despite knowing Dom was gunning for him. Or he was just that much of an over confident tool. Yeah I’ll go with the latter.

I am actually really enjoying this season. And lol, best vote out ever by Wendell. Seriously, someone had to say it - Chris you can’t rap and please stop trying.

Me too!  It seems that he thought his grandstanding at the well telling them all what would make sense was all he needed, and then he went on with his day.

I actually was annoyed by Wendell and thought he was a bit of a petty little bitch at his endless vote.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I mean, did Dom not scream out that he was voting for Chris?  And the HII was only good for one more Tribal?

Why the balls would you not play it?  

I mean, Libby is inoffensive to me and so having her go home would be eh, but still. You gotta play it if you have it.

2 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I just don't understand, you've set up tonight as the final act of the war between you and your 'enemy'. Before votes are read your enemy uses a power that makes him safe, you have an idol in your pocket and yet you DON'T use it?? Wait... what?? The hell was that? How can you NOT play your idol? I mean even if he thought his mass-audience at the well worked and everyone was voting for Dom he just made himself safe so... what are you waiting for? Was he just THAT slow?? *shakes head in disbelief*

Yeah, not playing the idol was a pretty baffling decision on Chris's part. But then again, he's been pretty oblivious to how he comes across to other people, so it strikes me as both possible and plausible that he genuinely thought everyone was locked into his Dom/Wendell split vote. Thus, once Dom played his legacy advantage, Chris assumed Wendell would be the one to go home. I wonder what he thought when the votes for Libby were read.

Speaking of Chris doing things that I would not do, I was surprised he decided to sacrifice his Tribal Council vote in order to try to extend the validity of his idol. If it were me, I probably would have kept my vote and played it at the one Tribal Council it was good for no matter what. This would especially be the case if I were in Chris's position of never having been to Tribal Council before.

7 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

No, Chris did better than JT.  Chris at least had the idol on him when he was voted out.  JT left it at camp when he did.  Which explains why it had lost power (and why the fake idols became real...power transfer.)

I was about to ask why fake idols turn real after a stint on Ghost Island, while real idols lose their power, but you preemptively explained it. I think we have probably given more thought to this than anyone involved with Ghost Island.

Finally, I wonder if there will be any explanation for why Angela and Desiree voted for Libby while Kellyn and Chelsea voted for Chris—if there was going to be a division among the "Naviti Women", I would have expected Kellyn and Desiree to be on the same side of it, since they've played the entire pre-merge game together. Similarly, I would have expected Kellyn and Chelsea to be on opposite sides of it, since Kellyn and Bradley were so tight and apparently Chelsea and Bradley didn't trust each other. I also wish we had gotten to see how Michael decided to vote with the pro-Domenick faction rather than the pro-Chris faction. I assume he was tipped off about which way the numbers were breaking, but by whom? He didn't seem to be part of any of the conversations after Chris's speech at the well.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Also, apropos of nothing, Chris randomly brought up Dwyane Wade, and then he said "Yeah, I'm like Dwyane Wade. Started from the bottom, now I'm here."  I don't know much about basketball, but that's a Drake song, not a basketball reference, so I don't get if his reference made any sense whatsoever.  At that point I was ready for him to go.

Chris also had a rap about LeBron James being some kind of a choker in the NBA finals.  That would be LeBron James the three-time NBA champion, btw.

Did Kellyn set Des and Angela up to vote Libby?  That was weird.

I wonder if that was the backup plan in case Chris had and played an idol.  So there was a vote split...just between Chris and Libby, not between Dom and Wendell as Mr. Suavay believed.  It's interested that Angela went along with voting out her pal Chris, though she might've seen the writing on the wall at that point (plus even Angela had that past confessional where she was annoyed at Chris for talking down to her).

• Love 3

3600a03036d0ad3653aa6c96da3dfd23.thumb.jpg.79b29295a1a4c4125181fff65443774d.jpg

I maintain that this is actually the worst immunity necklace ever!  I think production forgot to make one so they ran a bunch of sand through a screen, kept whatever was in the screen, added a compass and a few twigs, and gave it to someone's child to put together while the big people worked on something else.  It really has a -'what do we do with this piece?  Oh, just stick it anywhere.  ALL of it, stick everything on there somehow'-vibe to it.  I still think about this monstrosity once in a while.  It bothers me more than it should.  Lol  This season's necklace is second worst in my book.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

If they ever do Ghost Island 2.0, I wonder if Chris's torch would be a prop.  "He was a vain man, he was a stupid man.  He avoided TC and got voted out at his first one with an idol in his pocket."

If this happens, please let that be written as a four-bar rap.

Wendell's delivery of his goodbye message was perfection. I'm glad Crystal's is so well-remembered as well—that was her one shining moment. (Well, except for failing to dunk in a basket that was shorter than she was, but that was golden for the audience, not her.)

• Love 4

I'm sorry to see Chris go.  Yes he was arrogant, but he was a good TV character who was hilariously clueless as to how he came across.  I'm not sure why he thought it was a good idea to take 11 people on a trip and tell everyone that we should split the vote without even discussing with anyone first why he thought the two needed to go.  He should have started small with his close allies and then get others on board.

I'm not sure why they think a game dictated by Dominick and Wendell is any better than a game dictated by Chris.  I loathe Dom.  I don't care for Wendell either, he is railing against the "dictatorship" of Chris but he looks like he's doing the same thing.  He acts like he's so noble and above it all when his poop stinks just like everybody else's.

Kellyn is so incredibly irritating.  I can't stand her voice and those goofy faces she makes.  

• Love 14

Oh, the irony...had Chris decided not to risk his vote for a chance at extending his immunity options, he would have had no choice but to play the idol tonight and would have been saved, in spite of his faulty instincts and overinflated ego.

I did think that playing the Ghost Island game was a no-brainer. Nobody wants to give up their vote, but with so many players in the mix, how much would one individual vote be worth anyway? (Absolutely nothing, as it turned out, haha). A better dilemma might have been created if playing the game put the immunity itself at risk.

But Chris looked so shocked and humbled at the vote that I actually felt bad for him. At least until I saw this.

• Love 8

So many conflicting feelings for me this episode!  The major one was I thought for sure Kellyn and Co were going to vote out Libby.  Just like how certain I was that Libby would go home last episode, I had no doubt in my mind about it.  So for me this episode was "I WANT TO LOVE THIS BUT I CAN'T BECAUSE KELLYN."  Two big palookas obsessed with getting each other out going bananas with an idolpocalypse while the women quietly arrange a vote completely orthagonal to the boys' Big Strategical Plans is like literally my Survivor dream...except if it's Kellyn, Sally Fielding her way through Survivor, "oh little old me?!  Sweet Little Miss Kellyn has won again?!  Golly, I've had so many hard times, but I kept my chin up through it all!  Gosh, I hate to admit it, but I'm just so good at this game!" and she's going after another woman for no discernable reason but extremely boring Pagonging.  But then it didn't actually happen and Chris went home and that's sort of...whatever?

I mean, I think it was an extremely bad call.  Chris is a moron.  He may be good at challenges, but he is an ultramaroon.  There is nothing threatening about him.  At all.  And everything he did today proved that.  Whereas Dom and Wendell are both extremely dangerous.  I basically like Dom and still love Wendell (they both talked way too much this episode, though) but they are definitely not the people I would keep over Chris.  I felt like Libby had the smartest take on it, really, she was saying all this during the episode.  But ultimately I guess you have to go with the majority. 

I will miss the big idiot, though.  He was an extremely entertaining doof.  He really shouldn't have played the game at Ghost Island.  I'd much rather have an idol I know I have to use, personally...when you have a choice you can make the wrong choice, as we saw here, and you will kick yourself forever for it.

6 hours ago, LanceM said:

So the only two that voted for Libby were Des and Angela. I know Angela has always been out of the loop but not Des.

I don't think they were out of the loop at all, just covering in case Chris pulled an idol.  Perhaps they volunteered to be those votes because Angela has some residual loyalty to Chris and Desiree is hellbent to vote out Libby for some reason.

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I was actually like DOM WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?  Is the first time we've seen anyone pull that move on Survivor - yell loudly from the voting booth what they're doing?  How dumb IS Chris???  Maybe he pronounces the B in dumb like the E in suave

In addition to Crystal's big moment linked above, I seem to remember that Rob C's Casey Kasem impression vote in Amazon was loud enough for everyone to hear.  (Yes, except Christy, shut up.)

5 hours ago, North of Eden said:

I'm not entirely sure its fair to hold Immunity Challenges that can be affected by the weather such as the wind...it should solely rest on the skill of the player.

I don't mind it for perhaps a strange reason.  One of my weird interests that I'm always reading books about is the anthropology of religion, and it seems to me that in a lot of ways the silly ersatz 'religion' of Survivor (where Fire Represents Your Life, etc) can be strangely authentic in some ways, especially this season.  The fact that the Cursed Items of Ghost Island are actually powerful tools like idols is like a comic Disneyland version of the fact that "curse" and "blessing" are often just a sort of moralized interpretation of the same dangerous supernatural power -- something holy will kill you for touching it just as much as something cursed.  I was absolutely tickled that burning the Malolo flag actually did finally purge and purify the tribe, it's like something out of Leviticus.

Anyway, we all know the Survivor Gods are well-known to interact with the game, especially in chance-based moments like rock pulls (the sortilege of Survivor).  Winds are not infrequently gods, as the Greek anemoi, the Babylonian demon Pazuzu, the Hindu god Vayu.  To me the Survivor wind gods swaying the challenge (if you will) is a venerable Survivor tradition, and something like the trials by ordeal in the Code of Hammurabi, letting the gods decide.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 19

I kind of get where  Chris was coming for. He risked a lot to extend the power of that HII and if he just played it tonight that would be all for naught.  That plus he probably thought he did a good job selling them on the vote split. That being said, dude  you're a walking immunity threat, suck it up. As soon as Dom played his advantage, you should've walked right  up and played your idol.

Booting Libby wasn't the ladies'  idea, it was Desiree's idea.  I have a feeling that Kellyn would've rather booted Michael but since she didn't get the answer she was looking for,  she just nodded and moved on.  

I gotta give Laurel props. Homegirl's everywhere. If strategy is being discussed, she tends to be in the vicinity.

Angela is just useless at this point. Even told everybody how useless she'd be since her whole plan seems to be going with the majority.

Jenna and Libby need to make a move one way or the other soon or they'll be gone.

Dom is such a hothead, that he's lucky that he has a closer like Wendell in his alliance.

Wendell's good at selling bullshit.  At some point Dom's going to have to backstab him if Dom wants to have any chance at winning.

4 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

And wasn't it Chris who had the episode title "Fear keeps you sharp"?  Not sharp enough, apparently.

Nope it was Dom when he was talking to Wendell.

• Love 4

If people are going to stick with Dom, and not just for the one vote, Libby is absolutely in danger because now that Chris is gone, Dom is going to turn his sights on “the devil.”

Also Jenna interviewing how her subgroup of three has all the power in a group of thirteen made me laugh.

• Love 2

It took forever but the editors finally got me invested in the Chris/Dom feud. The back and forth confessional was hilarious:

"Chris is an idiot."

"I'm Dwyane Wade." 

Dom seethes. 

God, I hope Kellyn doesn't win. Just something about her fake cute nerd persona drives me crazy. 

And not to belabor the point, but it's so utterly strange to have a merge where so many people are undefined. So undefined that I can't remember if they ever had a confessional to this point. Has the dark hair girl with the eyebrows said anything?  

And now Chris is gone and that was like 30% of the story so far. Who's left? Are the remaining episodes going to be about one nondescript blonde girl vs. another nondescript blonde girl? Will Sea Bass vs. whatshisname turn into an epic rivalry? 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Charlesman said:

He had no concept that anyone else would do anything different. Even though he made it impossible for anyone to make any other suggestion in the first place, so he assured he was only going to hear what he wanted to hear. He walked back to camp completely positive that there was just no way that any person could disagree with how awesome and logical and perfect I am. I made my case, it was bulletproof. There's no logical way anyone could do anything different. They all said yes. It is done. Chris's literal words in the confessional talking about the meeting were: "How is this not a great deal for everybody?" He's absolutely blind to any other person's perspective.

And of course the funniest part of this, was there was Donathan seemingly five minutes after the well pow wow, telling all to Dominick and practically jumping out of his feet in excitement at the idea to blindside Chris. So yeah, great read of people there Chris.

• Love 23
7 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

So after the Great Water Trek...no one voted for Dom?  Or did I miss something?

And wasn't it Chris who had the episode title "Fear keeps you sharp"?  Not sharp enough, apparently.

I believe Dom said "Fear keeps you sharp.", to Wendell.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And of course the funniest part of this, was there was Donathan seemingly five minutes after the well pow wow, telling all to Dominick and practically jumping out of his feet in excitement at the idea to blindside Chris. So yeah, great read of people there Chris.

Who would have thought that an arrogant, vacuous, challenge beast would not be able to hold together an alliance of 11 at the merge vote?  

• Love 13

Chris the Rapper is just a Gerardo fan, of course. 

I think Dom said he was disappointed that Chris didn't "drop the gauntlet".   I guess he doesn't understand what throw down the gauntlet means.  There was another questionable usage by him, but I can't remember what it was.

Dom or Chris--I didn't care which one it would be.

Edited by Josette
  • Love 3

The only one left that I like is Michael.   I'd like  Laurel more but I can't stand Wendell and she cozies up to him.  Many of the women are so nondescript and useless that when Jenna went out at the immunity challenge, my reaction was "she's still here?  I thought she was voted out ages ago".  

When Michael goes out, a lot of my interest goes with him.  I have zero desire to see whether Dominick and his posse or Kellyn and her "Naviti girls" takes each other out.  

• Love 3

I mean, I think it was an extremely bad call.  Chris is a moron.  He may be good at challenges, but he is an ultramaroon.  There is nothing threatening about him.  At all.  And everything he did today proved that.  Whereas Dom and Wendell are both extremely dangerous.  I basically like Dom and still love Wendell (they both talked way too much this episode, though) but they are definitely not the people I would keep over Chris.  I felt like Libby had the smartest take on it, really, she was saying all this during the episode.  But ultimately I guess you have to go with the majority. 

And then I listened to his rap at Ponderosa and I started to understand why they would vote him out. There is no way in hell I would want to live with someone who rapped that badly and thought it was gold. I mean, it would be like living with a delusional Vanilla Ice. Well, a more delusional Vanilla Ice. I couldn't do it. Just no. Absolutely not. I think it would be easier to live with Bradley then Chris. Worse yet, Chris seems to be legitimately like that. I don't get the Coach vibe from Chris, that he is playing some ridiculous character who thinks he is all that. I think this is actually who Chris is and oh my god is he annoying. Just so, so wrong.

Needless to say, I loved this episode. It actually revealed a good amount of info and was fun to watch

1) Chris was just that annoying that no one voted for Dom or Wendell. I would say that Dom and Wendell are that good a player that they were able to complete shift the vote to Chris but I really think this is on Chris being that awful a player and that annoying in camp.

2) The Libby vote is going to stir up some serious crap around camp. It shows that Libby is a target and that an alliance of four really isn't an alliance of four.

3) Dom and Wendell are playing that good a game. Neither of them got all that ruffled when Chris pulled the entire tribe, minus Dom and Wendell, to the watering hole. Wendell discussed voting out Chris while munching on an orange for gods sake. They didn't get overly hyper. Their approach was pretty chill. I think Dom took Donathon's advice to heart, like he should have.

4) I like that Dom owned up to his game play on day one as being awful. He told Chris is was bad and apologized for it. He recognized his mistake and made an attempt, potentially half hearted, to deal with it. Chris was an idiot. He walked away from something that could have helped him. I think that Wendell and Dom were legitimately willing to work with Chris and get rid of the minority tribe members, or at least Michael and Libby, before Chris.

5) I heard all the conspiracy theorists point to Chris getting an immunity idol in the most convoluted and ridiculous manner ever, clue hidden in a buff and then a trip to ghost island, all going "See, Production is rigging things."

6) I laughed my ass off when Chris managed to tank Productions rigging by being a total idiot.

7) I think we have a better idea about what the more solid alliances are. I think Donathon, Laurel, Dom and Wendell are solid. The four women are not very solid. The original Malolo are going to stick together, as they should.

8) Chris really needs to never rap again. I felt bad for the team at Ponderosa that had to film the atrocity that is his Ponderosa Rap.

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, Josette said:

I think Dom said he was disappointed that Chris didn't "drop the gauntlet".   I guess he doesn't understand what throw down the gauntlet means.  There was another questionable usage by him, but I can't remember what it was.

I'm on the hot plate. 

• Love 21

Glad Chris and his overblown ego is gone. Rico Suave you're not. However, I will admit that I'm going to miss his bulging blue boxer briefs. Still got Windell for that at least. And while I'm swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool, Michael is beautiful. Hope he catches a break soon.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

I'm still trying to figure out who Michael reminds me of.

I think he looks like Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) in Guardians of the Galaxy.

LordBowen beat me to this observation.  I should have read through the thread before commenting.

Edited by llongori
To give LordBowen credit...
  • Love 2

I'm still trying to figure out why TPTB seem to love Kellyn so much.  She gets more face time than any other woman there.  I hope it doesn't mean she goes far into the game because I'm sick of her smug face and cutesy comments.

I'm kind of dreading Ponderosa since usually the first exilee sets the tone for when the rest arrive.  I can't see him being welcoming and starting a party with each new arrival, as happened last season.

7 hours ago, Hera said:

Finally, I wonder if there will be any explanation for why Angela and Desiree voted for Libby while Kellyn and Chelsea voted for Chris

I still think maybe they split their votes in case Chris had an idol.

• Love 2

Finally, I wonder if there will be any explanation for why Angela and Desiree voted for Libby while Kellyn and Chelsea voted for Chris

They showed Angela, Desiree, Chelsea and Laurel discussing voting out Libby while Dom and Chris were trying to vote each other out. Angela and Desire saw Libby as a threat and wanted her out and were hoping that the Dom/Wendell vote for Chris and the Chris, Donathon, Michael, Sebastian votes for Dom and Wendell would lead to Libby going home. They had a conversation at the water hole.