Type keyword(s) to search

It's the Apocalypse: This show SUCKS! Discuss it Here!

• Start Topic

On 9/9/2018 at 2:18 PM, JackONeill said:

Unlike so many other shows that occasionally deserve but rarely get 90 minutes for those truly special episodes, the only thing TWD has been able to do these last few seasons with their very special and aren’t they divine 90 minute episodes is a whole lot of navel gazing, and even that doesn’t conjure up more than weeks old navel lint. This show needs to get over itself, and get back to telling good stories with compelling stories. Question is: Can they do it? There’s only a trace of evidence for it.

Oh, Jack. AMC/TWD is no longer interested in telling you good stories. That was soooo seasons 1-5. Now, they're only interested in selling very expensive commercial time to their advertisers. Those very special 90 minute episodes are only special to them because it gives them more time to sell ads. They're interested in giving you just enough story to keep you watching. Audience satisfaction is optional.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

Oh, Jack. AMC/TWD is no longer interested in telling you good stories. That was soooo seasons 1-5. Now, they're only interested in selling very expensive commercial time to their advertisers. Those very special 90 minute episodes are only special to them because it gives them more time to sell ads.

OH, gawd, yes. Not only selling commercial time, but peddling cheap and embarassing "action figures" that are utterly cringe-worthy. Maybe they're even giving them away with a Happy Meal for all I know. Pure class all the way, aren't they? If there is any other way to wring another nickel or two out of this fiasco, I just know TPTB will find it and exploit it.

I can't help but think of the Se03 opener, at how well it was done, how gripping and riveting it was, so much so that no dialogue was needed and it drew me back into this show after I had given it up a few eps into the soap opera of Se02. Now? Even die-hard fans are sneering and making jokes about it.

• Love 5
On 9/11/2018 at 7:16 PM, AngelaHunter said:

OH, gawd, yes. Not only selling commercial time, but peddling cheap and embarassing "action figures" that are utterly cringe-worthy. Maybe they're even giving them away with a Happy Meal for all I know. Pure class all the way, aren't they? If there is any other way to wring another nickel or two out of this fiasco, I just know TPTB will find it and exploit it.

I can't help but think of the Se03 opener, at how well it was done, how gripping and riveting it was, so much so that no dialogue was needed and it drew me back into this show after I had given it up a few eps into the soap opera of Se02. Now? Even die-hard fans are sneering and making jokes about it.

I just went and rewatched that opener. It made me nostalgic.

Edited by momlyd
  • Love 1
On 9/11/2018 at 4:16 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Was this the episode where the gang was on the run and stopped in that abandoned house, when Coral was going to eat the can of dog food?

I thought that segment was brilliant.  The communication between them all without a single word of dialogue was outstanding.  

*** cue Those Were The Days, My Friend ***

• Love 1
On 4/23/2018 at 6:43 PM, Lunula said:

I also hate Rick and Michonne together. I love her and I even still like Rick, but I think they have zero chemistry. I kind of get the feeling the writers thought people shipped them together so they smooshed them up and it never made much sense to me. Much like so much of the show now, it felt completely random.

I agree 1000% +1.  Being with Rick has destroyed Michonne and I resent it more than I can say because Michonne is one of my favourite characters EVER.  The Richonne relationship was a pure fan creation.  I honestly believe they threw the fans this bone because they knew they had no intention of ever putting Daryl and Carol together.  It pisses me off to think that Gimple and his crew thought Michonne, one of the most iconic characters in TWD, was so expendable. 

• Love 2
On 9/9/2018 at 8:41 PM, peach said:

Yep.  I happened to like Tyrese's death episode!  Which makes me a party of one, I think. 

TWD was already on double secret probation for me last year, and I'm not going to watch S9.  I will leave it on my DVR, I guess, in case I hear from you guys that it's worth it.  After saying all this, I'm always folding laundry on Sunday nights, so I may end up just watching some of it by default though, lol.  There is nothing else on.

I'll join you at that party.  I LOVED Tyreese's death episode.  Maybe it's because I'm a Terrence Malick fan.

I'd forgotten that TWD was returning this weekend; that's how much I've been paying attention.  It wasn't until I noticed the annual Walking Dead marathon was on, that I realized it was that time again.  I still don't know if I'm going to watch.  I hate the show now as much as I once loved it and I REALLY loved this show.  I don't know if I can bear to watch Michonne and Rick pretend that Carl never existed and insist that Negan stay alive.  Rick is an asshole and I've lost what respect I had for him but I refuse to believe that Michonne wouldn't kill Neagan with the death of a thousand cuts for what he did to Abraham and Glenn, much less what happened to Carl. 

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 2

This year, 2018, Mr. Ecats and I discovered Walking Dead for the first time.  Some of the guys on a sports forum I'm on had been talking about it, but I didn't think Mr.E would like it.  But, it was the middle of summer and our Library had Fear the Walking Dead year 1 and I got it on a lark.  We watched it, and towards the end of that season we found ourselves binge watching.  But the waiting list for seasons 2 and 3 were so long that I got Walking Dead, and we loved it.  Like a whole lot more than FtWD.  And by dutifully bingeing, and getting season after season in the correct order, we were hooked by year 3, Then came 4 and 5.  Then (forewarned by folks here) 6 and 7 and I sort of half watched.  We were caught up by the time this season started and a lot of the earlier actions were still pretty vibrant memories.

Michonne may in her earlier seasons have been the most interesting female character I've seen on TV.  Sure, the Game of Thrones women (some of them) are strong, but Michonne just oozed wonderful survivor-ness as well as a take no crap from anyone. 

Herschel- simply wonderful. 

Carol -  from the scene in the quarry onwards, she was both believable and evolving. 

Daryl - I know him, or men like him who simply love to hunt and provide for their neighbors.  In real life, he'd probably have a chaw of tobacco, as well. 

These are my four characters that mean the most to me, after a binge watch of three months.  

Oh, about Negan.  For several years, some guy on a sports forum has been using a picture of Negan as his avatar.  I had no idea where it was from, why the guy had a baseball bat in his hands, but the guy surely was handsome.  You could have knocked me over with a feather when (whilst binge watching) I heard a smooth voice, looked up and, dang, I know him from social media, and .....damn he's smooth.  And all of a sudden, the handsome was forgotten.

• Love 6

I came here only after seeing the article on the main page.

I have to say, this was one of the shows I have ever hate-watched. While there were some characters I liked, like Carol and Michonne, for the most part, I thought most of the people on this show were just...idiots.

And yet somehow, I kept watching. For some reason, this show held my interest, and I'm usually someone who rarely hate-watches a show. At least it did for the first 6 seasons. Then sometime around season 7, I checked out because I just stopped caring.

This show has definitely run it's course, and they really should set an end date and work towards that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I have to say, this was one of the shows I have ever hate-watched. 

I rarely if ever hate-watch anything any more; life’s too short.  I stopped watching TWD after last season, and I’m somewhat sad to say I haven’t missed it in the slightest.  Only reason I still hang around this forum is because I like the folks here.

• Love 7
On 2/22/2020 at 9:48 AM, Nashville said:

I rarely if ever hate-watch anything any more; life’s too short.  I stopped watching TWD after last season, and I’m somewhat sad to say I haven’t missed it in the slightest.  Only reason I still hang around this forum is because I like the folks here.

I stopped watching when Glenn gate happened.  The show had gotten bad well before then but, for me, this is when that Ole shark took a big Ole leap.  I still miss the forums from those first few seasons, though.

• Love 6
On 2/22/2020 at 9:48 AM, Nashville said:

You just described me and TWD exactly - only I stopped watching after Negan got his throat slit but somehow still didn't die.

• Love 4
(edited)

Well, in that case, I guess this show will continue to be a study in mediocrity while treading water until it is no longer profitable to keep  it going and then they have to have a rushed and unsatisfying ending. To each their own.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 2

@icemiser69 - I think you’re somewhere around where I was about 2 years ago.  
Remember how engaged we used to be with the show?  Heck, I still remember one night right when we all got into playing “if zombies were to break into my house RIGHT NOW, what all is available in my current room that I could use as a weapon?” - I know it was right around Christmas, because one of my picks was the center shaft of our artificial tree.  😆  That, and the endless empire-rebuilding discussions?  All primarily inspired by what was going on in the show.

Nothing like that in years, though - just endless repetitions of up pops a new meany, let’s watch them get meaner, let’s miss a few dozen attempts to take them out, oh whoops NOW THEY’VE GONE TOO FAR annnd finally after an eternity they’re defeated.

And lather, rinse, repeat.  
Feh.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Nashville said:

oh whoops NOW THEY’VE GONE TOO FAR annnd finally after an eternity they’re defeated.

Defeated and gone, as they should be.

Oh, wait.  Then, there's Negan...

Oh, for the early seasons...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fellaway said:

Defeated and gone, as they should be.

Oh, wait.  Then, there's Negan...

Oh, for the early seasons...

Negan is the biggest wrinkle in this entire asymmetrical sagging ass of a show - bitch just won’t go the fuck away.  
Who the hell does JDM have for his agent, God?

• Love 6
On 9/2/2020 at 11:21 PM, Nashville said:

Nothing like that in years, though - just endless repetitions of up pops a new meany, let’s watch them get meaner, let’s miss a few dozen attempts to take them out, oh whoops NOW THEY’VE GONE TOO FAR annnd finally after an eternity they’re defeated.

Seems AMC is airing the whole series again. My DVR picked it up so I watched, just for giggles. But it was the very first episode and even though I've seen it several times I sat and watched it all, and was just as engaged as I was on first viewing:  Merle! Andrea(yeah, I know, but I liked her. I liked her a lot more than I like anyone on this show now, whoever they are and especially more than I like You-Know-Who) grumpy Daryl! Baby Coral! Glenn, looking and sounding like a kid! Shane! Drama! Suspense! Tension! The comparison of that to what we've had for the few years was very, very stark.

Edited by AngelaHunter
Forgot a word
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I like JDM, he seems like a really good dude.  I just think that the writers and show runners have botched the Nagen character badly, that isn't JDM's fault.

Oh, no argument there; I’ve been a fan of JDM even before that psycho hosebeast Izzy cut his LVAD wire. 😄   The bitch in question was the character, not the actor.  I was referring to the apparent fact that Negan will be part of the series until its past-timely death; JDM’s agent appears to have negotiated one HELL of a contract.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Never saw or even heard of JDM before TWD, where I found him to be highly annoying from the get-go. He could have been much better had not his first appearance included hours and hours of him talking and talking and talking. The more a baddie drones on, the less scary he becomes. Anyway, I was reading how much people like him (JDM, not Negan) and didn't want to be unfair so watched 2 rather minor movies he was in. One of them wasn't bad and he did seem to be rather likable and quite charming (except when playing a creeper stalker who "rubs one out" in his victim's bathtub), but I think now he has actually become Negan.

I recently caught part of an absolutely horrible movie called "Rampage" where we get to see the Rock emoting and teaching some obscene hand signs to a gorilla. JDM is in this, and he's just Negan with an accent. He may have painted himself into a corner with this character.

So apparently the jackasses finally got around to editing the finale and it's airing October 4th, followed by that abysmal-looking spinoff The World Beyond.

I'm still shaking my head over the fact that these jackasses didn't have that finale in the can and ready to air when the second half of the season aired.  What the fuck do these morons do all day?  They shouldn't be resting on their thorn-covered laurels until each and every episode is in the can and ready to air.  Way to treat the fans, you jackasses.  

Also, a few weeks ago, I read an article where Kirkland et al were talking about all the "great ideas" they've been bandying about for the Rick Grimes movies.

Say the fuck what?   So Lincoln's been off the show 2-3 years and they've yet to get anything actually, you know, on film?  But never fear, they've got great ideas, folks!  I think that ship has sailed...and sunk.  

I've always been skeptical that these "movies" even exist except in Kirkland's head and the greedy bastards at AMC were using the "movies" to persuade people to sign up for their "premium" service.  

This show has been circling the drain for about 3-4 seasons now.  What in the everloving fuck would AMC or any other network sink money into making movies based on a series which is rapidly losing viewers with each passing season and is well past its expiration date?  

Throw into that the fact that Lincoln was good and pissed when he quit the show and only returned for a handful of episodes his last season for, as he put it, the fans, who deserved to see his send off.  I always thought AMC used the "movies" as a way to placate fans who were livid when Lincoln left the show.  

Ugh, I'll probably watch the season finale and the premiere of the new shit show, The World Beyond, on October 4, and then check out of the show.  I've been basically hate watching it the last couple of seasons anyway.  That being said, I'll watch the "glory years" any time AMC airs them (or on DVD).  Just not the shit they've been spoon-feeding us for the last 3-4 seasons.  

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Also, a few weeks ago, I read an article where Kirkland et al were talking about all the "great ideas" they've been bandying about for the Rick Grimes movies.

Say the fuck what?   So Lincoln's been off the show 2-3 years and they've yet to get anything actually, you know, on film?  But never fear, they've got great ideas, folks!  I think that ship has sailed...and sunk. 

I'd bet plenty of cash that this "film" ends up being an AMC special at best. And I wouldn't be shocked at all if it ends up to be absolutely nothing. 

• Love 5

WTF is this crap? My best friend finally convinced me to give it a shot and I have to say, Crap. I would love to meet the writers and give them a swift kick in the nutz. Director and producers also should get a square but shot too. Hello gasoline goes bad in about a year. Bodies decompose so 3 years tops before they can't move. Fire, zombies walk right in, well I'm setting bonfires until their all crispy. Hacks should give back the pay checks and put down your pens . 

• Love 1
On 9/2/2020 at 10:21 PM, Nashville said:

@icemiser69 - I think you’re somewhere around where I was about 2 years ago.  
Remember how engaged we used to be with the show?  Heck, I still remember one night right when we all got into playing “if zombies were to break into my house RIGHT NOW, what all is available in my current room that I could use as a weapon?” - I know it was right around Christmas, because one of my picks was the center shaft of our artificial tree.  😆  That, and the endless empire-rebuilding discussions?  All primarily inspired by what was going on in the show.

And lather, rinse, repeat.  
Feh.

Except in the case of Negan (& the Saviors), not only did he survive a sure-fire killing blow, he arguably became 'glue' that held the show together following Andrew Lincoln's Rick Grimes departure.

The introduction of Negan (& the Saviors) was TWD's "death knell", from my own personal POV.  The show was over {enjoyment-wise} - but didn't know it - by the middle/last fourth of S6. 

[man, has it really been 5.5 years now!?]

• Love 3

I still haven't watched a single second of anything TWD since the end of S8 of the parent show - aside from the unavoidable ads/commercials - but just chiming in again to give mad props to those still watching the franchise. 

Don't know how you do it, but I got nothing but respect for y'alls ability to do it.  I couldn't take any more and other than seeing ads or mentions around the 'net for it, I hardly ever think about this 'universe' anymore.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1